Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why is Lillian Gish so hated today?

She's not, but let's pretend we're trolls completely out of ideas, spinning ridiculous thread titles that might get a few replies before dying quietly. Go.

by Anonymousreply 100June 1, 2023 11:51 PM

I've genuinely never heard of her.

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2023 3:29 PM

Birth of a Nation or The Klansman

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2023 3:48 PM

She was there when they invented the close-up.

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2023 5:23 PM

R3 = Bette Davis

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2023 5:51 PM

She was in "Our American Cousin" the night Lincoln was shot.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2023 5:56 PM

Her appearance in " Birth of a Nation" didn't do it. It was her constant defense of DW Griffith. But she is excellent in " The Wind"- once of the all time greatest performances, and she is great in " Night of the Hunter"

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2023 5:59 PM

She allegedly liked pussy.

Mary Martin was a dear friend.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2023 6:52 PM

She hit Nita Naldi in the head with a fondue pot.

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2023 6:55 PM

Lillian Gash, you mean?

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2023 7:04 PM

She molested me with a rolling pin!

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2023 7:15 PM

Resentful whales? In August?

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2023 7:17 PM

I sent her a request for an autograph in the '80s and I'm still waiting.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2023 3:14 AM

"That face! Such a tragic face!"

--her hilarious response when an interviewer brought up the mean things Bette Davis said about her on the set of "The Whales of August"

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2023 3:27 AM

Her other really great prformances besides "The Wind" and "Night of the Hunter" (although they would seem weird to modern audiences, given the conventions of silent film acting):

"Broken Blossoms"

"Way Down East"

"The Scarlet Letter"

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2023 3:29 AM

Republicunt

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2023 3:30 AM

A Camille for the ages...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2023 3:34 AM

The rumors that she and her sister Dorothy were unusually close still linger.

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2023 3:42 AM

Wasn't that via Kenneth Anger, r17?

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2023 3:44 AM

Gish alienated Alan Alda and Michelle Pfeiffer on the set of "Sweet Liberty" by repeatedly recounting details of giving John Gilbert a rusty trombone between takes of shooting "La Boheme" in 1926.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2023 3:48 AM

Dame Edna

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2023 3:49 AM

Because after brazenly repeatedly flashing her moneymaker at Mr. Griffith she had the nerve to start the #TheeToo movement.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2023 3:59 AM

She shouldn't have shit in Zasu Pitts' wig.

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2023 4:03 AM

She called moi a “thoughtless little pig" at The Night of 100 Stars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2023 4:18 AM

Dorothy has cornered the market on Gish love.

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2023 4:21 AM

Too much teeth.

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2023 4:25 AM

I don’t know her.

by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2023 4:27 AM

Dataloungers hate any young starlet. Mention Lillian and all you’ll get here is hissing that she’s no Florence Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2023 4:27 AM

She's hated because she's one of Meghan's A-List friends.

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2023 4:29 AM

She refused to acknowledge her bastard granddaughter Annabeth.

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2023 4:30 AM

Because she always gave lip service to her head giving and cum guzzling skills, but whenever it got down to brass tacks, she'd barely put the tip in her mouth and ALWAYS spit the load out onto the floor as if it were battery acid.

by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2023 4:30 AM

She tried to steal John Gilbert from Garbo.

#RealHousewivesOfMGM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2023 4:48 AM

She was a cunt. There, I’ve said it.

The most vicious cunt in TinselTown!

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2023 5:11 AM

The second female recipient of the AFI Life Achievement Award in 1984.

Bette Davis was the first.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2023 5:22 AM

OMG!

[quote] OLD HOLLYWOOD: This actress had one of the longest careers ever. She starred in what is considered by some to be the best movie ever made. She was also an Academy Award winner/nominee. The thing about our actress is she never got married. She also never really had that many relationships. Maybe one or two that might have happened when the whispers got louder. Oh yes there were whispers about something. Why would I write about something if there were no whispers. It seems that our actress did have a lover. A lifetime lover actually. Not so strange or whisper inducing right? Well, it is if your lover is also your sister.

by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2023 5:29 AM

No tits and a flat ass. But always shilling herself as a sex siren in soft core trash like “One Romantic Night.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2023 5:34 AM

She voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 36May 27, 2023 5:39 AM

Tell us more about the purported lesbianism and the supposed incest, please.

by Anonymousreply 37May 27, 2023 7:11 AM

R37 Maybe start here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 27, 2023 7:49 AM

Yes, R18. Of course it's bullshit but the OP wanted silly dish.

by Anonymousreply 39May 27, 2023 1:18 PM

She was an acquired taste. She'd get drunk at parties and play dodgeball with Charles Laughton by fire ping pong balls out of her vagina. Some thought it vulgar.

by Anonymousreply 40May 27, 2023 1:25 PM

She took a dump in Betty White’s dressing room.

by Anonymousreply 41May 27, 2023 1:27 PM

Sources say that Lillian excoriated a waiter for not properly tempering her porridge with a feathered fan.

In her defense, the resultant tongue-burns affected her silent-screen dialog mouthing and delayed entry into talkies.

A recent investigation revealed that the waiter was a struggling actor who had applied a blowtorch to Lillian’s Farina in order to “be discovered.”

He plotted to come to her rescue when she cried out in pain by dousing her with a bucket of barley water.

After being fired, the waiter returned home to the Dakota Territory and perished in a wheat thresher accident.

by Anonymousreply 42May 27, 2023 2:42 PM

She sounds like a HollyWEIRDO, Wokester OP! Probably went to Epstein's Pedo Island with Killery and Obummer!

by Anonymousreply 43May 27, 2023 2:53 PM

She drained her fucking pasta

by Anonymousreply 44May 27, 2023 2:58 PM

She was canceled for encouraging Kate Jackson's teacher to bang a teenage student in a mostly forgotten TV movie from the '80s.

by Anonymousreply 45May 27, 2023 3:01 PM

[quote] She took a dump in Betty White’s dressing room.

She started that tradition. What an artist.

by Anonymousreply 46May 27, 2023 3:01 PM

She talked Jennifer Grey into getting a nosebob

by Anonymousreply 47May 27, 2023 3:16 PM

R28 The rest of whom are also dead or imaginary.

Brava!

by Anonymousreply 48May 27, 2023 3:18 PM

She murdered William Desmond Taylor!!

by Anonymousreply 49May 27, 2023 3:56 PM

She refused to appear as a “wax-work” in “Sunset Blvd.”

That really chaffed La Swanson’s ass.

by Anonymousreply 50May 27, 2023 3:59 PM

[Quote] From Wikipedia Gish became a vegetarian in her childhood as she could not bear the thought of killing animals. Her vegetarianism became well known in 1925 as she was seen nibbling on a raw carrot in federal court. Newspaper photographs of her caused a carrot-eating fad across the US.

BUNNIES DIED

by Anonymousreply 51May 27, 2023 4:04 PM

[quote] She was a cunt. There, I’ve said it.

[quote] The most vicious cunt in TinselTown!—Mrs Alfred Steele

Turned you down, did she?

by Anonymousreply 52May 27, 2023 4:49 PM

R45 speaks the truth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 27, 2023 5:18 PM

^^I’d believe that more if Kate Jackson’s student was female.

by Anonymousreply 54May 27, 2023 5:22 PM

Lillian Gish was so eager to push Kate into that thick teenage dick because she knew the lady gym teacher had more appeal to her granddaughter.

by Anonymousreply 55May 27, 2023 5:27 PM

[quote] OLD HOLLYWOOD: This actress had one of the longest careers ever. She starred in what is considered by some to be the best movie ever made.

What would that film be? It certainly wouldn't be "Birth of a Nation" (which she DOES star in).

Is it supposed to be "Intolerance"? She's in it, and it's certainly considered by many to be the greatest film ever made (in terms of its overall achievement for the time); but she doesn't really star in it, or even really act in it--she's just the woman who rocks the baby's cradle in the linking "Out of the cradle, endlessly rocking" sections.

by Anonymousreply 56May 27, 2023 7:09 PM

Greatest movie of all time - I think he was probably referring to "Sold for Marriage" (1916).

by Anonymousreply 57May 27, 2023 8:44 PM

So the greatest movie that nobody has ever heard of. Great.

by Anonymousreply 58May 27, 2023 8:46 PM

R56 - It does indeed refer to "Birth of a Nation." "Birth" has always been widely seen as both racist and a landmark piece of cinema - essentially inventing the Feature format. Beginning of the Roger Ebert article linked below:

"He achieved what no other known man has achieved. To watch his work is like being witness to the beginning of melody, or the first conscious use of the lever or the wheel; the emergence, coordination and first eloquence of language; the birth of an art: and to realize that this is all the work of one man."

These words by James Agee about D. W. Griffith are almost by definition the highest praise any film director has ever received from a great film critic. On the other hand, the equally distinguished critic Andrew Sarris wrote about Griffith's masterpiece: "Classic or not, 'Birth of a Nation' has long been one of the embarrassments of film scholarship. It can't be ignored...and yet it was regarded as outrageously racist even at a time when racism was hardly a household word."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 27, 2023 8:52 PM

It's just an "Old Hollywood" blind item from Entertainment Lawyer from years ago, which later showed up on his "blind items revealed" list to be Lillian and Dorthy Gish.

And whatever one thinks of Birth of A Nation, it's still on the AFI's 100 Greatest American Movies.

by Anonymousreply 60May 27, 2023 8:56 PM

Well, it’s no “Jeanne Dielman, 23 quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles”.

by Anonymousreply 61May 27, 2023 9:06 PM

Well, maybe we should think about it. Is the first great movie the best, because it's the most innovative, or is the best the one that can build on all the innovations before it and pull them together in the most skillful way?

Also, what exactly does it say about us that our first true masterpiece of film was a celebration of the Klan?

by Anonymousreply 62May 27, 2023 9:08 PM

Why Wasn't Lillian Gish Cast to Play Dorothy on The Golden Girls?

by Anonymousreply 63May 27, 2023 11:20 PM

Lillian killed William Desmond Taylor.

Just for fun.

by Anonymousreply 64May 28, 2023 12:32 AM

D. W. Griffith used to wear Lillian and Dorothy's cunts like moccasins.

He said he liked his feet to be wayyyyy down east AND west.

by Anonymousreply 65May 28, 2023 12:36 AM

Lillian was actually wonderful in Mystic Pizza. She stole the picture.

by Anonymousreply 66May 28, 2023 12:39 AM

She was in a torrid incestuous relationship with her sister Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 67May 28, 2023 12:45 AM

Jealous

by Anonymousreply 68May 28, 2023 8:12 PM

Is it rather telling that in a 1972 "Interview" magazine article, Anita Loos speaks very highly of Lillian Gish, and somehow, this thought leads into mentioning the power lesbians of old Hollywood?

[quote] O’BRIEN: What do you think of Women’s Liberation?

[quote] LOOS: The two most important executives I knew in the movies were Mary Pickford and Lillian Gish, and they did much better business because of their golden curls and other executives. Mary stacked up the biggest fortune anyone ever made in films and Lillian Gish knew more about lighting and camera technique than any man I know. She did it for herself. I have been done in by both men and women. I don’t have any preference. But I’m afraid they’re giving the gag away. I think women can get a lot further by covering up and going underground than by waving a flag. There was a big group of very beautiful lesbians in Hollywood, quite a number of them. I got dragged to a cocktail party one day and they were all there, done up in chiffon and hats and being very elegant. And in walked Elsa Maxwell in a suit with cuffs and a necktie and one of them said, “Oh look at Elsa! Giving it all away!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 28, 2023 9:07 PM

Lil had hair down to her waist, which she selfishly kept for herself rather than cutting half of it off to make wigs for children with cancer.

#Fact

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 28, 2023 9:10 PM

all tits and pussy, frankly

by Anonymousreply 71May 28, 2023 9:27 PM

Shocking, but true ... young Lillian and sister Dorothy used to curl each other's hair with magic wands!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 28, 2023 9:46 PM

Mary Pickford was way better

by Anonymousreply 73May 28, 2023 9:50 PM

Is it true that she was actually born Lillian Gash?

by Anonymousreply 74May 28, 2023 9:53 PM

Lillian and Shelley Winters switched trailers on the set of “The Night of the Hunter” and a sloshed Bob Mitchum late one evening entered Shelley’s trailer and wound up entering Lillian instead.

by Anonymousreply 75May 28, 2023 9:58 PM

Whether true or not, she was famous for being a virgin. The thought that someone might prefer being a virgin is intolerable to the world at large, especially the gay world.

by Anonymousreply 76May 28, 2023 10:33 PM

[quote]r72 Shocking, but true ... young Lillian and sister Dorothy used to curl each other's hair with magic wands!

Is that a type of vibrator??

by Anonymousreply 77May 28, 2023 10:43 PM

In her will Lillian established the annual Dorothy and Lillian Gish Prize, one of the largest artist's grants in the country if not the world. I think the monetary prize is $450,000 if I'm not mistaken. For years the prize was larger than the MacArthur "Genius grant", but that has gone way up in recent years to $800,000.

Lillian's sister Dorothy predeceased her in the 1960s and left a large portion of her estate to The Actor's Fund, the esteemed charitable organization serving everyone who works in the performing arts.

Say what you will about Miss Gish, she loved her work and those who toiled in her chosen field, putting her money where her mouth was.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 29, 2023 4:07 AM

She spit in my carvelanche.

by Anonymousreply 79May 29, 2023 4:39 AM

[quote]r78 In her will Lillian established the annual Dorothy and Lillian Gish Prize, one of the largest artist's grants in the country if not the world.

Lusty Lil’s “charity” was long ago exposed as a tax dodge to fund Republican candidates, with an aim of eventually taking over the world.

I read it on the internet.

by Anonymousreply 80May 29, 2023 4:42 AM

[quote]Lusty Lil’s “charity” was long ago exposed as a tax dodge to fund Republican candidates, with an aim of eventually taking over the world.

Yeah, giving money to Spike Lee, Ava Duvernay, Robert Redford, Laurie Smith and Suzan-Lori Parks! All right wing ideologues!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81May 29, 2023 5:01 AM

She loved practical jokes. The 'upper decker' prank was her favorite.

by Anonymousreply 82May 29, 2023 5:02 AM

Thank you, r81! It’s all so typically devious and underhanded of her.

by Anonymousreply 83May 29, 2023 5:04 AM

ZaSu Pitts thought it was funny too, r82; and then she was Lillian's victim for it.

by Anonymousreply 84May 29, 2023 5:11 AM

While Gish’s later career rose on Broadway and at MGM, that of her replacement with DW Griffith, Carol Dempster, languished - mocked by all.

Coincidence? Or the long arm of Lillian’s personal butt boy Louis B. Mayer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 29, 2023 5:13 AM

It's that tiny mouth - the popular opposite of today's penchant for trout pout. That's what makes Lillian Gish such a figure of mockery and scorn today.

by Anonymousreply 86May 29, 2023 6:10 AM

She could open it plenty wide for the right producer’s cock, though.

TRIVIA: Barbara Payton wrote in her book “I Am Not Ashamed” that even in her later years as a boozy street ho, Gish was very territorial about the block she deemed “hers” on the Strip. Gish even deliberately steered rough clients Payton’s way in attempts to scare her off her turf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 29, 2023 6:42 AM

Because she was such a whore.

She put out for all of Hollywood in order to get where she got, and that catches up with a girl eventually.

by Anonymousreply 88May 29, 2023 3:32 PM

Gish proved virtually unemployable in Hollywood when she was replaced in “Sextette” with Mae West, after just a week’s filming.

I don’t know what the problems on the set were exactly. It was an out of court settlement.

by Anonymousreply 89May 29, 2023 8:24 PM

Those of us who knew her called her Lillian Gauche - you couldn't take her anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 90May 29, 2023 9:41 PM

Lillian demanded Max Factor give her the highest quality lard greasepaint, leaving would-be starlets to inferior product from the musk glands of woolly beavers, which rendered the ancient rodents extinct.

by Anonymousreply 91May 29, 2023 10:28 PM

Having grown up poor, surviving on flower bulbs, Gish had lilies that grew out of her chest.

And woe to the cinematographer who could not disguise them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 29, 2023 11:25 PM

Because she thought she could play Mama Rose up to the very end.

by Anonymousreply 93May 30, 2023 12:48 AM

It was actually Lillian's idea that you gotta get a gimmick.

by Anonymousreply 94June 1, 2023 12:23 AM

Go wad your ass

by Anonymousreply 95June 1, 2023 12:32 AM

What does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 96June 1, 2023 1:13 AM

[quote] It was actually Lillian's idea that you gotta get a gimmick.

She used to play the trumpet, in a MOST PECULIAR way.

by Anonymousreply 97June 1, 2023 1:24 AM

True Story: Tennessee Williams wrote the character of Blanche DuBois with Lillian Gish in mind. After reading an early draft of Streetcar, Gish claimed not to understand the material and passed on the opportunity. Years later she named it as one of her biggest regrets professionally.

by Anonymousreply 98June 1, 2023 2:40 PM

That's really interesting R98 - my biggest confusion with Streetcar is "how old is Blanche?" Gish was 54 in 1947. So Williams conceived of a Blanche who would have been in her early 20's pre-WW I - which totally makes sense given her airs of gentility and general character traits.

There was a long discussion about this in one of the Streetcar threads, where I asked the question about the character's timeline - Blanch seemed middle aged, and the fall of Belle Reve seemed to take awhile, but Stella is only in her 20's - so how could they be sisters? Ultimately it's a drama that doesn't need to be realistic, and this is not a Streetcar thread, but that's a fascinating piece of information.

by Anonymousreply 99June 1, 2023 11:29 PM

Tennessee Williams told many differing stories about his original vision for Blanche. I think he once even said he imagined Blanche as one of the Talmadge sisters (I forget which one.)

He wanted Pamela Brown to play Blanche in the debut production. Kazan wanted Mary Martin and Irene Mayer Selznick wanted Margaret Sullavan. Jessica Tandy was a compromise late in the casting process.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100June 1, 2023 11:51 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!