Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Job Candidate Question

I work in a niche, buttoned-up industry and a lot of people in it know one another. If I go on LinkedIn to research a candidate, we usually have a few shared contacts.

I am not a recruiter or HR person. I have a consulting firm and we often need people for projects when new clients come in. I had a conversation with a candidate for 45 minutes yesterday. She was very good and it was a very balanced call. Prior to speaking, we had exchanged several emails and she was very responsive.

After we spoke, I emailed her with a link to a site with a news release I wanted her to read. That was about 2PM. At 9PM I realized I had never heard from her. I also realized I had emailed the address she had been using on the email string and not the email on her resume, so I forwarded the first email to the email address and mentioned this.

I think it's telling that she has not replied, even with a "great speaking with you!." More than telling, actually. Obvious. My husband thinks I need to wait it out and if I do not hear back from her by Monday, move on. She is about 40. I have a second person I am scheduled to speak with today. Then there is a third I will contact today to set up a call next week.

Maybe I am being too impatient, but I do think it's over. There's no reason not to send a quick reply unless you want to give a signal that you're not interested.

What do you think? Is she gone? Or am I being too impatient?

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2023 8:56 AM

Maybe she went to Paris for the weekend.

But what I really think has happened is that OP has been revealed as someone who wants to hire 9nly ass-lickers who are sufficiently grateful for his every act of charity toward his staff.

by Anonymousreply 1May 26, 2023 2:40 PM

She doesn't work for you. Why did you give her homework after the interview?

by Anonymousreply 2May 26, 2023 2:45 PM

R1 What is a "9nly ass-licker?" Is it a professional certification I should be aware of?

by Anonymousreply 3May 26, 2023 2:50 PM

OP trust your instincts, she’s ditching you.

by Anonymousreply 4May 26, 2023 2:53 PM

R2 It's a 1099 role that will require 20 hours a week for 20 weeks—75% of it virtual—and her compensation will be $85K. She can read a one page media release.

by Anonymousreply 5May 26, 2023 3:00 PM

You honestly sound like a needy high maintenance nightmare OP. If I were her, I be taking out an restraining order and getting a new phone number.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2023 3:02 PM

R6 I know it's off peak hours, but you still need to be focusing on the drive through customers.

by Anonymousreply 7May 26, 2023 3:04 PM

I'll give you that one R7. Touché.

by Anonymousreply 8May 26, 2023 3:07 PM

OK, she just emailed me back. Good email. R6 - Yes, I know I need to hold myself back at times.

by Anonymousreply 9May 26, 2023 3:35 PM

[quote] After we spoke, I emailed her with a link to a site with a news release I wanted her to read. That was about 2PM. At 9PM I realized I had never heard from her.

What does this mean? Did you offer her a job?

You sent out an email at 2 p.m. and want to hear back by 9 p.m.?

by Anonymousreply 10May 26, 2023 5:25 PM

She's just not that into you.

by Anonymousreply 11May 26, 2023 5:31 PM

R10 Yes and no. We spoke at about noon on Thursday and she knew I was emailing her further info at 2pm. Once she received, I would have liked it if she confirmed. At 9pm I was on email and realized had sent the email to another email address of hers as opposed to the address on her resume. I forwarded the 2pm email to her other address at 9pm. She emailed me at around noon today to confirm receipt. All good. Have a good holiday weekend, you too, touch base Tuesday, etc. This is a project and it’s competitive and she is a one person LLC. Time is of the essence. I think she fits the bill but there are two other people if she doesn’t move faster.

by Anonymousreply 12May 27, 2023 1:38 AM

I hope she stays far away from you. You're bizarre. Something is off about you.

by Anonymousreply 13May 27, 2023 1:45 AM

I'm job hunting right now and this is a prime example of why I FUCKING HATE IT!

That said, OP, I would have tried to respond to your email by 6:00. 85K for 20 weeks of 1099 work is damned good money. Maybe you should link your candidate to the San Diego tent-city thread that's been getting traffic the last day on DL.

Better yet, hire me!

by Anonymousreply 14May 27, 2023 2:08 AM

Everything I need to know is illustrated by the fact that OP is asking for nuanced professional advice in a so-called niche area from DL.

by Anonymousreply 15May 27, 2023 2:34 AM

I think it is totally unreasonable that you have this expectation. It’s a Friday. She could have a million conflicts going on, she is not working for you yet and this is not a timed assignment you gave her. It is not an exam. I think it is totally understandable she has not gotten back to you yet. I hope she has other choices because if this is how you would supervise while recruiting I can only imagine what it would be like for her when she would be an employee.

by Anonymousreply 16May 27, 2023 2:38 AM

You sound like an asshole, OP, and it’s totally inappropriate (and telling) that you gave this woman an actual assignment to complete when she doesn’t even work you. Now you’re mad because she is prioritizing her own life over your extended interviewing games?

If she saw anything close to what we are seeing on this thread, I agree that you’re probably getting ghosted. Why would anyone want to work for you?

by Anonymousreply 17May 27, 2023 2:47 AM

In OP's defense, he sent the email yesterday at 2:00, and the candidate waited to respond until the next day--almost 24 hours after the email OP sent after a phone interview. In this situation, if you want the job, you should try to respond same day. Just my thought as a desperate job hunter. OP's candidate is obviously not desperate.

by Anonymousreply 18May 27, 2023 2:53 AM

I'll take the job. I already work 70 hours a week so I'd bank 50 hours of "me" time.

by Anonymousreply 19May 27, 2023 2:55 AM

Corporate America is so fucking annoying. Stop. Stop being annoying OP. Stop having stupid annoying ways to look at the world. And stop finding ways not to hire anybody. It's fucking annoying for everybody else in the universe.

by Anonymousreply 20May 27, 2023 2:57 AM

R13 R14 R16 R17 R20 A lot of odd projection going on with many comments here. Triggering, I suppose.

This is a competitive, agency environment. This is how it is. This person is not responding to an Indeed job post from a Human Resources assistant. She is an independent contractor seeking a well compensated role for a consulting project that has established timelines and deliverables.

The work is specialized, she can do it primarily from her home, work independently, and we’ll probably Zoom for 30 minutes every 2 weeks. She’ll get paid in thirds: once upon signing a letter of agreement, once midway through, and once upon completion. My role now is to pull the project team together so we can get the scope of services to the client next week and get this show on the road by June 30.

I feel great that she did email me back today. She has the ideal background and we had a good rapport on the call yesterday. That is why I was surprised when she didn’t email me back yesterday shortly after we spoke. You just never know with email whether something will end up in someone’s spam folder.

by Anonymousreply 21May 27, 2023 3:10 AM

Yes, that must be it. Triggering. Not you being an annoying twat. Must be everything else.

by Anonymousreply 22May 27, 2023 3:13 AM

OP proved me right and comes off a bit neurotic and sketch.

by Anonymousreply 23May 27, 2023 3:16 AM

But there are deliverables! Love me. Work for me.

by Anonymousreply 24May 27, 2023 3:17 AM

OP, you're not listening to the several, reasonable responses here, nor, by your own admission, to your own husband, so what's more to say really?

by Anonymousreply 25May 27, 2023 3:18 AM

Jesus, OP.

You're so verbose she was probably just still reading your damned e-mail!

Shorter is better because then you have to get to the point!

by Anonymousreply 26May 27, 2023 3:21 AM

OP, you're fine, you're dealing with a work situation and most of the people on DL are living on benefits or scrounging somehow.

As I read through the thread I was going to tell you that it's Memorial Day weekend and it was not at all odd for a candidate to be busy or out of town right now.

But she wrote back and all is well. Good luck with your project staffing, OP.

by Anonymousreply 27May 27, 2023 3:22 AM

Yes, r25 However, she got back to me an hour after I started this thread this morning, which I mentioned up at R9 and again at r12 so yes, I was anxious this morning, but that goes with the territory.

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2023 3:24 AM

R27 Thank you. Have a great weekend.

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2023 3:25 AM

Congratulations OP. Now go forth, and asshole no more!

by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2023 3:27 AM

OP, it's obvious the two of you are not on the same page. You expect her to be as excited about this opportunity as you are. She's not.

Perhaps she's just trying to manage your expectations and gain the advantage in whatever negotiations this potential job offer might have lead to. She's tipped her hand that she's not going to be the type of employee who is available 24/7. Best you know this now if that's your expectation.

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2023 3:31 AM

OP doesn't realise he needs her as much or more than she needs to report to Mr. Gay Persnickety in this niche, bottoms up industry... oops, buttoned up....

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2023 8:56 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!