Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL, I need a new suitcase

I've always owned soft roller bags, but now nearly everyone I see uses hard.

What do you recommend?

(If it makes a difference, I always check my bag and never jostle with fellow passengers for overhead bin space.)

Also, I will be purchasing it at Macy's (yes, I type poor), so specific brand is not very important to me.

by Anonymousreply 37May 26, 2023 7:04 PM

*reincarnating

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2023 9:39 PM

Following. I have a big roller suitcase that's about to shit the bed.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2023 9:41 PM

[quote]DL, I need a new suitcase

The DL will NOT be bothered.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2023 9:42 PM

What is the advantage of a hard roller bag?

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2023 9:42 PM

Hard roller bags aren’t significantly heavier than soft sided bags (I’ve seen soft sided bags that had so many unnecessary pockets they actually weighed more) and they’re more durable. If you have anything breakable, it’ll be much safer inside a hard sided bag (a CPAP machine for example) and they’re less likely to burst open at a seam because there only seam is the zipper. I had a soft sided bag that wasn’t even that full and I was standing at baggage claim and saw my dop kit roll by, followed by all my clothes laying scattered on the belt and finally my bag which was completely torn open.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2023 9:46 PM

While they do not sell them at Macy's, my dear poor person, I do recommend Away suitcases. Mine has held up through several jaunts around the globe. They aren't that expensive.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2023 9:50 PM

Agree on Away brand

by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2023 9:56 PM

Samsonite.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2023 10:00 PM

Buy the kind Sam Brinton doesn’t like.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2023 10:06 PM

Whatever you get, just make sure to put an "I <3 Walmart fashion" sticker in a prominent place, incase you are at the airport at the same time as Sam Brinton.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2023 10:09 PM

[quote]Buy the kind Sam Brinton doesn’t like.

Rude!

Just take one you like off the luggage claim belt the next time you fly. It’s easy and nobody stops you!

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2023 10:10 PM

Hard shell bags get destroyed by baggage handlers. They would seem to be a better choice but I've had too many ruined on just one trip. It's a pisser.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2023 10:19 PM

R12, I’ve had the same hard bag for at least 10 years and probably pre-pandemic had to travel for work 15 times a year. And I’ve taken it on international flights, and even little pond hoppers and it’s never been damaged.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2023 10:24 PM

Get The North Face soft roller bags. I've had mine for 11 years and across 4 major 2-3 weeks long European trips, 5 continental US trips and they're still in great shape. They hold up. Worth the money.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2023 10:24 PM

Briggs & Riley hard shell. I have the international carry-on size, but they make other sizes. Got mine at Macy's. I think I had points or some discount I used. Expensive, but life-time guarantee. I also have a medium size DELSEY Chatelet (also hard shell) that I bought at Macy's. Not as high end as the Briggs & Riley, but I've been happy with it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2023 10:47 PM

Man, when I bought my hard sided bags 11 years ago, I wasn’t sure if I would like them so I bought the cheapest ones on sale at Macy’s. I got one overhead luggage size and one full size. And 11 years later and probably 150 trips they are still in perfect shape. They’re scratched as hell, but that’s gonna happen to any hard sided bag the first time you use it.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2023 10:54 PM

I find soft ones more durable, I once had a hard shell one break open as soon as I lifted it from the conveyor belt. As someone said, luggage handlers toss the luggage around thus destroying them. Soft shell might tear after a while but they don't burst open.

by Anonymousreply 17May 26, 2023 6:08 AM

OP, I bought a Travelpro carry-on suitcase a few years ago and I love it. It’s traveled many miles, been checked and carried on, been wheeled over all kinds of surfaces and, honestly, it still looks as good as the day I bought it.

I’m amazed at how much I can fit in it. Very well designed. Not too heavy to pick up even when full (and I’m kind of a weakling).

It’s a soft-sided bag; Travelpro also makes hard cases. (There’s a page on their site comparing hard and soft to help you decide.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2023 7:01 AM

Advice that considers the sleazy aspects of travelling

1) a hard bag

2) what does NOT zipper

so a hard case which is a clam shell - no ZIPPER:

Why?

hard bags have less crevices for bedbugs.

zippers are easily popped to open a bag - by thieves for example

zippers are crevices for bedbugs.

So in sum - get a hard clamshell

There are so few made, it will narrow down your choices and facilitate the shopping.

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2023 7:39 AM

It's worth saving for Rimowa. Love my cabin sized roller.

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2023 7:40 AM

Just steal one!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2023 7:45 AM

Everything old is new again. The resurrection of hard suitcases must be a bonanza for the suitcase companies selling to people who want the trendiest things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2023 10:52 AM

I like Victorinox hard luggage. It's a little better looking and a little more expensive than the big middle ground, but well constructed, long-lasting, feather light, rolls and manoeuvres like a dream on flat floors and even on cobblestone pavements is easily guided (and doesn't sound like an airplane engine falling apart.) I bought a maximum sized carry-on bag about 15 years ago and it looks and works as good as new, likewise another I bought a year later out of satisfaction with the first.

It's trim and has a few useful features without being loaded with useless ones that sacrifice space or add weight. The wheels have held up perfectly and also the telescoping handle/s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2023 12:03 PM

Get a carry on rolling backpack. They're easy to move around, lightweight, fit into most luggage racks etc. No waiting around at the carousel or queuing to get your luggage weighed, hell, you can even use them on a city bike or scooter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2023 12:33 PM

Hunny take your ass to TJ Maxx or Marshall's. Yes. Or go to Google and search luggage. Since you say you're shopping Macy's I'm telling you you can get brand name or not so brand name at both those places for cheap. And you know what? I'm not "poor." I'm not loaded either but I'm comfortable. The thing is, the baggage handlers at airports or on trains or buses or what ever your mode of travel is, treat luggage very badly. Those suitcases get tossed, and smashed, and crushed, and banged around, and scraped all the time. So spending a small fortune on expensive luggage is silly. Get something durable and reliable that won't fall apart en route, and you'll be fine. I don't do a lot of traveling, so mine aren't used often, maybe 3-4 times a year.

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2023 12:44 PM

Hey, R24. That trolley backpack looks great for wheeling around. But does it really also work well as a backpack? I had a version of that many years ago but I hated it because trying to wear it on my backpack was painful. The rods dug into my back and shoulders. Has the design improved significantly?

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2023 1:21 PM

The Sam Brinton joke, which wasn't funny the first time, has now officially been beaten to death in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2023 1:37 PM

It's not like a hiking backpack, but it's comfortable enough for an hour or so, plus it's carry on so it doesn't weigh too much.

by Anonymousreply 28May 26, 2023 1:50 PM

[quote] I will be purchasing it at Macy's (yes, I type poor)

No, you type wasteful. Really thrifty people know to go to Marshalls, TJ Maxx or Nordstrom Rack for luggage.

by Anonymousreply 29May 26, 2023 1:52 PM

Why is that whenever the topic of luggage comes up on DL, a reference to a CPAP machine is sure to follow?

by Anonymousreply 30May 26, 2023 4:02 PM

OP, et al, I’ve purchased two Monos hard-sided suitcases recently and I’m very happy with both.

by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2023 4:04 PM

I'm the cunt who now recommends a $2,500 carry on bag because it's really the only grown up and durable option.

by Anonymousreply 32May 26, 2023 4:09 PM

Shut down the Globe-Trotter range:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2023 4:09 PM

Check out, not shut down

by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2023 4:09 PM

You don't travel with trunks and hat trunks, OP?

You don't type poor. You type déclassé.

Poverty is no reason to let your valet's standards drop.

by Anonymousreply 35May 26, 2023 4:16 PM

Add Costco to the list of good inexpensive luggage. Every once in a while they have some good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 36May 26, 2023 6:34 PM

One of my family members works in baggage for a major airlines at one of the hubs.

He said to get hard-sided luggage. He also said, when you pack, don't overpack the suitcase. He said it can "explode" (burst open) during handling if it's stuffed too far.

by Anonymousreply 37May 26, 2023 7:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!