Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

High School Reschedules Graduation Because Only 5 Seniors Eligible for Graduation

MARLIN, Texas (KWTX/Gray News) - A high school in Texas has rescheduled its graduation ceremony after most of the senior class was found ineligible to graduate.

According to the Marlin Independent School District, the ceremony has been pushed to June to give nearly 30 seniors more time to meet graduation requirements.

According to an audit from the district, 28 of 33 seniors at Marlin High School did not meet the graduation requirements due to their attendance or grades.

“We hold firm to our belief that every student in Marlin ISD can and will achieve their potential,” said Superintendent Darryl Henson. “Students will be held to the same high standard as any other student in Texas.”

Alondra Alvarado is among the five that met the graduation requirements.

“They told us that because of the students that didn’t meet the requirements it wouldn’t be fair for only five students to walk the stage,” Alvarado said.

Salvador Guerrero is one of the 28 seniors who was told he was not eligible to graduate. He said he learned last week that he needs to complete the STAAR test for an online U.S. history course, but the test is not available until the summer.

“It’s a bag of emotions, anxiety, and a bit of disappointment,” he said.

The decision to reschedule the school’s graduation ceremony was made this week. School officials said they are also planning a mandatory meeting with seniors and their parents Wednesday night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 26, 2023 7:32 AM

Hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 1May 25, 2023 3:21 AM

The state slogan for Texas is no longer applicable:

"Well, at least we're not Florida"

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2023 3:23 AM

[quote]“They told us that because of the students that didn’t meet the requirements it wouldn’t be fair for only five students to walk the stage,” Alvarado said.

That is exactly backwards. It's unfair to deny the students who actually did the work the chance for a timely ceremony.

by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2023 3:26 AM

I’m glad some schools are at least trying to uphold their standards, even if most kids today can’t meet them. They deserve to all flunk Senior year if they suck this bad.

by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2023 3:35 AM

Texas.

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2023 8:55 AM

Think how low the standards for graduation actually are, and then imagine most of these people can't even meet those. It's like realizing half the population has an I.Q. under 100.

by Anonymousreply 6May 25, 2023 9:55 AM

The Census Bureau indicates the median household income is 28k. The population is 27% white (not Hispanic), 26.3% Hispanic and 46.7% black. Only 8.8% of adults have a college degree. The population in 2020 was 5462.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2023 10:00 AM

I’m sure book banning will help here.

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2023 10:27 AM

They really should not cancel graduation for the people who earned it. Can’t they give them a fabulous ceremony on a smaller stage?

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2023 10:31 AM

I feel for the five. Imagine the resentment they face from their peers.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2023 10:36 AM

The town must be a dust spot on the giant road of texas. 35 people in the senior class ?

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2023 10:57 AM

[quote]It's like realizing half the population has an I.Q. under 100.

This cannot be repeated frequently enough when discussing education, cirriculum, and how to approach teaching.

[quote]In general, an IQ score is defined with a median and mean of 100. Scores above 130 are labeled as above average or “very superior,” while scores under 70 would be considered below average or labeled as “borderline impaired.” Most people have an average IQ between 85 and 115.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2023 3:40 PM

Honestly, if I was one of the five eligible to graduate from that shit school, I'd want to make as little fuss about it as possible. Just hand me my diploma in secret and let me escape this hellhole of a town.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2023 3:42 PM

Sounds like very fertile breeding grounds.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2023 3:47 PM

[quote]Honestly, if I was one of the five eligible to graduate from that shit school

Oh, dear.

Sweetie, if you were one of people from that high school, based on this sentence, you'd be among the other 28 students...

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2023 3:53 PM

[quote] “They told us that because of the students that didn’t meet the requirements it wouldn’t be fair for only five students to walk the stage,” Alvarado said.

Oh, so give the rest participation trophies? No wonder they created a bunch of dumbasses.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2023 4:03 PM

We are doomed. I can assure you the school districts in Texas spend more $ on their football program than the science and math programs. They have a bright future ahead of them as meth users/dealers.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2023 4:10 PM

Deplorability that’s the name of the game

by Anonymousreply 18May 25, 2023 4:10 PM

This may be a bunch of lazy or stupid kids, but I do wonder how much is bureaucratic bullshit:

[quote] Salvador Guerrero is one of the 28 seniors who was told he was not eligible to graduate. He said he learned last week that he needs to complete the STAAR test for an online U.S. history course, but the test is not available until the summer.

Was this test available before? Did anybody realize it, and think to tell the kids that had to take it? Was everybody kind of ass-dragging and not getting their own shit done? Did the gathering of morons known as most state legislatures decide to add some stupid procedures without taking five seconds to think about what this would really mean?

by Anonymousreply 19May 25, 2023 4:35 PM

Gen Z, ladies and gentlegays!

by Anonymousreply 20May 25, 2023 4:51 PM

I put the blame squarely on Texas.

by Anonymousreply 21May 25, 2023 4:52 PM

[quote] Sounds like very fertile breeding grounds. —Ronna McDaniel, heading there with GOP membership cards as I type.

The town is 73% black and Hispanic and less than 6000 people, so no, she wouldn’t think that.

by Anonymousreply 22May 25, 2023 5:05 PM

[quote] I put the blame squarely on Texas.

Maybe you could also use your analytical skills to determine who is to blame for this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2023 5:10 PM

These kids probably lost 2 years of proper instruction to the pandemic. Many kids are playing catchup

by Anonymousreply 24May 25, 2023 5:55 PM

Be Best Texas!

by Anonymousreply 25May 25, 2023 6:15 PM

Shithole state.

by Anonymousreply 26May 25, 2023 6:37 PM

Are you going to tell Midge Ure he's wrong, R15?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 25, 2023 6:46 PM

I think IQ stats are outdated. I suspect the average IQ of the "gadget connected generations" are lower, probably more around 90. Perhaps lower. No way is it currently 100.

by Anonymousreply 28May 25, 2023 6:48 PM

[quote]I think IQ stats are outdated. I suspect the average IQ of the "gadget connected generations" are lower, probably more around 90. Perhaps lower. No way is it currently 100.

I shudder for your students if you are, indeed, a college prof.

IQ scores are calibrated so that "average" is always 100.

by Anonymousreply 29May 25, 2023 7:44 PM

No they are not, 29. Thus, we have controversial comparisons of average IQ between nations and "races". Luxembourg in fact has a countrywide average IQ of 100. Rwanda, 70. My statement is that the average IQ is not 97 in USA but perhaps 90 for the younger generations. Many never received the social, academic, and creative brain exercises necessary in childhood.

by Anonymousreply 30May 25, 2023 8:35 PM

[quote]No they are not, 29. Thus, we have controversial comparisons of average IQ between nations and "races". Luxembourg in fact has a countrywide average IQ of 100. Rwanda, 70. My statement is that the average IQ is not 97 in USA but perhaps 90 for the younger generations. Many never received the social, academic, and creative brain exercises necessary in childhood.

This statement is so riddled with misinformation as to be impossible to rebut - not to mention a woeful lack of understanding of both how IQ testing works AND how statistical "averages" work.

A country, city, school or any other group can have an average IQ of 70. It means that the average score of every person included in that population is 70 - which is based on a standarized IQ test on which 100 is the calibrated score for average intelligence...which you clearly do not have.

Now, if you were making the argument that some segment of the population had an average score of 90 (such as people between the ages of 14-26) based on an IQ test on which the score for average intelligence is 100, that could be true.

You appear to be conflating statistical average of a particular segment with the score for average intelligence - they are not the same.

by Anonymousreply 31May 25, 2023 9:19 PM

Now, if you were making the argument that some segment of the population had an average score of 90 (such as people between the ages of 14-26) based on an IQ test on which the score for average intelligence is 100, that could be true.

-- the argument I am making. You think you're a smartie pants but you're just throwing shade.

by Anonymousreply 32May 25, 2023 9:22 PM

[quote]It's unfair to deny the students who actually did the work the chance for a timely ceremony.

As a consolation, they get a party at Chuck E Cheese and then a field trip to the border to shoot at crossing illegals.

by Anonymousreply 33May 25, 2023 9:39 PM

I’ll bet Thees kids can figure out how to breed though. Too bad abortion is illegal in Texas. Looks like they are gonna have to go ahead and have the child. Good thing Walmart is hiring. Does Wallmart hire non high school grads? I sure hope so. If the repukes cut off the food stamps and disability these poor souls will be showing up at your door with their babies looking for food and shelter. The pukes are already speculating on the cheap labor of the desperate, now ready to supply them with cheap help. Especially as the hordes won’t let in foreign cheap help. What a great country. Neo slavery like music to the repuke ear.

by Anonymousreply 34May 25, 2023 9:45 PM

The five should take their diplomas, skip grad and never look back.

by Anonymousreply 35May 25, 2023 9:46 PM

[quote]-- the argument I am making. You think you're a smartie pants but you're just throwing shade.

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 36May 25, 2023 9:55 PM

[quote]The town is 73% black and Hispanic

We all knew.

by Anonymousreply 37May 26, 2023 12:38 AM

[quote] They deserve to all flunk Senior year if they suck this bad.

Looking at the school stats, I'd guess 𝑠𝑜𝑐𝑖𝑎𝑙 𝑝𝑟𝑜𝑚𝑜𝑡𝑖𝑜𝑛 is the norm in this school.

Marlin Independent School District 2021-2022

it had 882 students. 83.2% of students were considered at risk of dropping out of school. 16.3% of students were enrolled in bilingual and English language learning programs.

Four-year graduation rate 97.8 % Statewide: 90%

Total students 882

African American 484 (54.9%)

Asian 3 (0.3%)

Hispanic 325 (36.8%)

White 50 (5.7%)

Two or more races 20 (2.3%)

At-risk students 83.2 %

Economically disadvantaged 99.2 %

Gifted and Talented 2.4 %

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 26, 2023 7:21 AM

Since it's Texas, I think we should send thoughts and prayers.

That should solve the problem.

by Anonymousreply 39May 26, 2023 7:32 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!