Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The "new" MAX/ No Longer HBO

OK, I tried to navigate this shit show yesterday and I am not happy. The fact is they have added new programming, their streaming site's home page is clutter and difficult to navigate, and they have pop ups as you're trying to select a program, that intrude on your ability to select your movie or TV show. I do not give a fuck about Shazaam! But they have it in my face. They have added a lot of crap shows and programs and now it is just like all the other messy networks streaming. WTF possessed them to do this? I know. Money. But why bother to watch it when you have the same fucked up set up as Peacock for example. HBO used to be the premiere network. It had an identity. A uniqueness. I can see Showtime and Hulu surpassing them. They have crapped all over a very good Brand. Assuming the "Max" brand was a huge mistake. Cinemax has always been the cheap, shabby third rate cousin of HBO. Now that they have merged into Max, it is a shit show And I don't know if I can stick with it. OVernight, HBO became ordinary and mediocre. Shame what these owners are doing. I'm pissed. I hate the layout. Navigating is terrible.

by Anonymousreply 42May 28, 2023 11:39 AM

They removed the HBO because WBD is probably going to sell portions of the company to Comcast next year, with Warner Bros Studio and HBO being the prized assets.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2023 1:34 PM

Op you’re insane and need to simmer down. The max app looks similar to the HBO Max app of a couple days ago only now it has added content.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2023 1:35 PM

However it should be noted that AT&T is responsible for devaluing the HBO Brand in the first place by using it for the app name. It was originally intended to be called WarnerMax.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2023 1:36 PM

Nonsense. The added content is cluttered and messy and I abhor it.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2023 1:37 PM

R1 I hope that's true.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2023 1:38 PM

Actually I was really happy to see all the HGTV and Food Network content added. Since I got rid of cable I miss having Ina Garten’s shows and watching things like HouseHunters.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2023 1:42 PM

Seemed about the same for me.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2023 2:03 PM

What a fucking snowflake.

The layout (at least in a browser) is the same as every other streamer, including Hulu and Showtime. The tiles might be smaller, which allows more content to be displayed on the page. But it's all organized the same as the other streamers: promoted movies and series at the top, a "Continue Watching" row, a "For You" row recommending shows and movies based on your viewing, a row for your watchlist, a row with access tiles for the different WBD brands, etc. I don't know what you're talking about with pop-ups. But maybe my ad blocker is blocking those.

I'm glad to have all of the content in one place. I canceled my Discovery+ subscription yesterday and now I'm saving $8 a month without losing anything.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2023 2:03 PM

The transition was not without issues but they were relatively minor.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2023 2:09 PM

As far as I'm concerned HBO no longer exists. The site is a hodgepodge of programming and the marquee brand, HBO got swallowed up. That's what pisses me off. They have taken all HBO's content and shoehorned it in with all this other crap. My rant is about HBO. Otherwise, Max is just another website.

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2023 2:17 PM

R6 House Hunters, really? No Love It or List It? Property Brothers? Fix My Frankenhouse?

They're all the same: open concept main floor, huge kitchen, lots of storage, natural light

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2023 2:21 PM

It was never just HBO content exclusively. It always included content from the other WB properties like Turner, CNN, Studio Ghibli, Cartoon Network, etc. The only difference now is that it also include content from the Discovery properties.

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2023 2:23 PM

There's a link at the top to access HBO content directly. Just click that if the rest of the offerings offend your sensibilities too much.

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2023 2:26 PM

I doubt op subscribes. Just a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2023 3:13 PM

As part of the transition we now have Direct TV, and an odd feature is that you are not able to fast forward streaming movies on that platform.

Not thrilled with the new interface or Shaazam pushing, but interested to check out the Discovery content.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2023 3:16 PM

Yay! 1000 lb Sisters!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2023 3:16 PM

OP is a Zoomer and his feelings were hurt when HBO didn't ask him for his input. HBO Max used to be his safe space.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2023 3:18 PM

What's with all the bitching about Shazam? It shows up in the featured section because it was just released to the platform. But it's there with five other shows or movies that are being promoted as well. Also, that featured section changes over time. For me, Shazam was in the section when I first logged into the new platform yesterday. But today it's not one of the 6 titles in that section for me. Right now I'm seeing some Guy Fieri game show, Barry, Legion of Superheroes, South Park, Sex and the City and something called Fired on Mars. The only place I see Shazam is in the "Just Added" section and as one of the 6 featured titles on the Movies tab.

You people need to learn to adapt and adjust without melting down.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2023 4:54 PM

I read on another site that the intent is to devalue the brand with the eventuality of combining it with Peacock and making one megasite - kind of an online version of cable.

I don't have a head for business, so I don't know if that sounds legit. I do know that the guy who is spearheading this prefers reality-type programs as they are cheaper to produce. More 100lb Sisters, less shows with acclaim.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2023 4:55 PM

We’ll, OP, I generally don’t get worked up about these things, but your thoughts were similar to mine when I logged in yesterday.

First, they didn’t redirect the old HBO site and app properly so it was impossible to log in for a while and then, yes, interface is messy.

But I’ve adjusted and life goes on.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2023 5:06 PM

It is unlikely a merger of the entirety of WBD and Comcast would be approved by the Justice Department. It is more likely Comcast would only want to buy HBO and Warner Bros.

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2023 5:25 PM

I felt the same way as OP until I found out I was able to change my avatar. They have a lot of fun options. It's the stupid stuff that makes me happy.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2023 5:46 PM

OMFG Shazaam is on my homescreen!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2023 5:49 PM

See, that's the po9int. I used to go to HBO, the TIffany of networks, IMO to get away from Guy Fieri and those of his ilk. If I want to s ee him I will go to the food channel or WTF ever. Same with all the other crap cluttering up the landscape. HBO was different. It was high quality. It was special. No more. And I have been a subscriber to HBO for at least ten years.

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2023 8:35 PM

Good god, R24. HBO still exists. Just click the fucking HBO link at the top and you can flee to your high-quality HBO safe space. You'll never again have to waste your beautiful mind on all that low-quality Discovery trash.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2023 9:45 PM

Well, Discovery is trash. So there's that.

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2023 2:56 AM

I really haven't noticed much difference other than the purple has been replaced with blue. Yes, there is some new stuff that I don't care about, but that is the case with every streaming service. Shazam would be featured even if it was still HBO Max, since it is a WB film. They also started pushing the Tina Turner documentary yesterday along with Shazam. I largely ignore the big push at the top of every streaming service.

They still have Doctor Who, South Park, most of the HBO shows (except the yanked ones) and I am currently rewatching The Middle.

I think dropping the HBO name is dumb, since that is the prestige name, and I dislike a lot of the moves they have made since the merger, but being pissy because they are promoting Shazam is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2023 3:08 AM

My major complaint is they started sending promotional emails again as MAX even if you'd unsubscribed from HBO emails.

by Anonymousreply 28May 26, 2023 3:31 AM

But that's the point, R25, they're moving away from quality programming in favor of reality programming and other cheaper fare. There also going to limit access to previous HBO offerings, in some cases vaulting them forever. I'm with R24, I subscribed to HBO to get away from flyover frau programming that's really nothing more than thinly-veiled commercials packaged as entertainment.

by Anonymousreply 29May 26, 2023 1:48 PM

Thank you, R29!!!!! That is exactly my point and you said it well!

by Anonymousreply 30May 26, 2023 2:11 PM

Give me an example of the HBO division of WBD that is moving away from quality in favor of reality programming. As I understand it, the HBO division still produces HBO-level quality television series and movies as they always have. The Food Network and HGTV will still produce a bunch of Guy Fieri shows and various iterations of House Hunters as they always have. The only difference now is that if you want to steam both types of programming, you only have to pay for one platform to do that instead of two. And if you don't want to watch anything besides the HBO stuff on that platform, then you don't have to click on anything but the HBO stuff. They're not forcing you to watch Ghost Hunters or 1000-lb Sisters before you can watch Succession or White Lotus.

by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2023 2:24 PM

R26 all of that Discovery/TLC Channel 90 Day Fiancé bullshit gets old. I watched one or two of them during lockdown but look at how many seasons and spin-offs of that crap exist now. It’s stupefying.

by Anonymousreply 32May 26, 2023 2:28 PM

Yes it is R26. But having it on the same streaming platform doesn't stop you from watching HBO.

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2023 2:31 PM

I’m with the OP and r29. It’s a clusterfuck of banality. Yes. I can stream HBO programming but I also have to wade through a river of shit that I don’t care to watch. Have never watched. And don’t plan on watching. Ever. They should change the name to Maximum Shit Show. It’s a hell of a lot more honest. And accurate. Just a suggestion.

by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2023 3:08 PM

Ditto, r24.

by Anonymousreply 35May 26, 2023 3:17 PM

[quote]Maximum Shit Show

It's not the Trump administration, R34.

by Anonymousreply 36May 26, 2023 3:41 PM

Peacock should rethink this policy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 26, 2023 3:47 PM

So no more of this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 26, 2023 4:01 PM

This is yet further proof that the worst thing that ever happened to HBO was when David Zaslav got his cheap-ass clutches on it.

by Anonymousreply 39May 26, 2023 8:41 PM

True, R39. I used to get a small rush, a kind of excitement seeing the HBO logo come on the screen. I associated it with programs and movies I enjoyed, stuff that was really good, quality, smart stuff. Unusual stuff.Creative. Just now "Max" flashed on the screen, and my impulse was to change the channel.

by Anonymousreply 40May 26, 2023 8:44 PM

Get over it, fool!

by Anonymousreply 41May 26, 2023 8:55 PM

Fingers crossed the app doesn’t crash during the Succession finale.

by Anonymousreply 42May 28, 2023 11:39 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!