Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Would Katharine Hepburn approve of Frances McDormand as her successor?

Frances McDormand is closest to equaling the Great Kate's record for 4 Best Actress Oscars. Frances has 3 Best Actress Oscars (her male equivalent being Daniel Day-Lewis).

We know Kate saw either Vanessa Redgrave or Glenn Close as her successor so would she approve of Frances being her spiritual successor? Would it shock her that Vanessa only has 1 Oscar, in the supporting category, while Glenn has 0?

by Anonymousreply 81June 18, 2023 5:07 AM

Not in a million years.

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2023 7:56 AM

[quote]We know Kate saw either Vanessa Redgrave or Glenn Close as her successor

You're incorrect -- about a lot of things -- Hepburn never viewed Close as her successor and, in fact, didn't care for her acting. She infamously said her 'big, ugly feet' meant she would never have a successful career.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2023 7:56 AM

Successor as ugliest dyke with the most WTF? Oscar wins.

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2023 7:57 AM

R2 Educate yourself

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2023 7:58 AM

[quote] "She has big feet," Berg quotes Hepburn about the Tony and Emmy winner. "I had to laugh when I read that," Close told me. "I've been thinking about writing an Op Ed piece about her. A few years ago I participated in a Kennedy Center Honors tribute to her. She wrote me a wonderful letter afterwards that I might quote from. I know she came to see us three times when I was on Broadway in "The Real Thing." That's where the feet thing came from. I was barefoot in it."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2023 7:59 AM

Yes, Close appeared at the Kennedy Center for her. But Hepburn's comments predate that.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2023 8:01 AM

When she was growing up, Glenn Close saw an interview with Katharine Hepburn that motivated her to be an actress

Years later, Glenn presented the Kennedy Center honor to Katharine and received a letter from her after that said: "Dear Glenn Close, A great big hug for your sweet contribution - I'm glad I persuaded you when you were a mere child to join this terrible profession - this terrifying profession - And let's face it - This delicious way to spend your life. With affectionate thanks, Kat Hep."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2023 8:01 AM

In 1990, Close, along with Angela Lansbury and Lauren Bacall, helped celebrate Hepburn at the Kennedy Center Honors, where she remembers the actress, then in her 80s, arrived dressed in casual wear that included black pants, a black raincoat, and black Reeboks. Close believes that Hepburn was the only Kennedy Center honoree who came backstage to thank the people who honored her. It was in that backstage moment that Close finally told Hepburn about the profound effect she had had on her own career.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2023 8:02 AM

Hepburn didn't care for Streep or Close, until she knew the latter would kiss her ring. But she did care for Julia Roberts and Melanie Griffith.

So she either wasn't a good judge of acting, which is likely.

Or, as some have suggested, she viewed Streep and Close as competition, which is also likely, and her comments were primarily motivated by that.

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2023 8:04 AM

O-o-o-o-of c-c-c-c-course n-n-n-n-not! She's a l-l-l-l-l-l-loon!!!!

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2023 8:05 AM

Hepburn's comments were made about Glenn Close when she saw her on stage. Glenn hadn't starred in films yet. Hepburn's only issue with her was the size of her feet which she thought would prevent her from becoming a star. Clearly that wasn't the case and if Hepburn had disliked her so much, she wouldn't have approved of Glenn attending her ceremony to honor her alongside Angela Lansbury and Lauren Bacall. She had worked with Lansbury and Bacall was a close, personal friend whereas Glenn had no connection in that sense. For her to be handpicked alongside two women who actually did have close connections to Hepburn only makes sense if Hepburn actually cared for Glenn as an actress and viewed her as worthy of her esteem.

For example, you didn't see Hepburn approving Meryl Streep to come and honor her. And as others have mentioned, Hepburn liked Sally Field, Melanie Griffiths, and Julia Roberts, but it was Glenn she wanted from the new generation of actresses to represent her alongside her two longtime friends.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2023 8:08 AM

Since Hepburn was vociferously competitive when it came to awards I assume she wouldn't like McDormand. How would she have felt about her prior to 2018? Indifferent, probably. Hepburn judged everything in how they related to herself and back then McDormand would've seemed liked a peripheral player she would never have given a second thought to.

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2023 8:08 AM

Was Hepburn friends with Ingrid Bergman? I wonder if she viewed her as competition. And Hepburn was friendly with Joan Crawford because of their shared love for George Cukor and Spencer Tracy. However, Ginger Rogers was one actress that Hepburn looked down on.

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2023 8:11 AM

[quote]Clearly that wasn't the case and if Hepburn had disliked her so much, she wouldn't have approved of Glenn attending her ceremony

I imagine once she discovered that Glenn would simply be reading some gushing praise about her she was had no concern.

[quote]For her to be handpicked

Was she handpicked?

[quote]For example, you didn't see Hepburn approving Meryl Streep to come and honor her.

You're operating from the assumption that Streep would want to do such a thing.

Anyway, I assume Glenn's affection for Hepburn is genuine. Hepburn's affection for any other actress was contingent on whether she thought it would be reciprocated.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2023 8:13 AM

[quote]And Hepburn was friendly with Joan Crawford because of their shared love for George Cukor and Spencer Tracy.

I'm not quite sure how friendly they were.

Women like Crawford and Hepburn rarely really have *real* friends for the most part. Yes, Hepburn had Bacall and Crawford had Billy Haines. But, ultimately, both were busy in a relationship with their respective selves.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2023 8:16 AM

[quote] I'm not quite sure how friendly they were. Women like Crawford and Hepburn rarely really have *real* friends for the most part. Yes, Hepburn had Bacall and Crawford had Billy Haines. But, ultimately, both were busy in a relationship with their respective selves.

Hepburn was friends with Lansbury as well. She was close enough to Vivien Leigh and Larry Olivier that she was the maid of honor at their wedding. Crawford had lots of female friends like Barbara Stanwyck, Myrna Loy, Pearl Bailey, and Rosalind Russell. She hated Loretta Young but they seemed on good terms towards the end since there are letters between the two. Debbie Reynolds and Judy Garland were also friends with Joan and in Debbie's case, we know about their friendship through Debbie's 2-part autobiography. Diane Baker was taken on by Joan as a protegee.

As for Hepburn and Crawford, their letters show that they didn't meet socially but they both had a lot of respect for each other. Hepburn even mentions that George Cukor and Spencer Tracy both deeply cared for Joan so she had a high opinion of her just through them. They would continue to write to each other and Joan often praised her work such as the TV movie she did with Larry Olivier. When Joan died, Hepburn wrote to one of Joan's twins and admitted that she had only met her a few times but that she knew Joan always enjoyed her work and Hepburn too enjoyed Joan's work. Hepburn also stated that Christina and her brother were spoiled and she didn't believe them for a second.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2023 8:27 AM

R14 Generally whenever a celebrity is being awarded something like this, the person(s) chosen to award them is handpicked by the awarded party and/or has some personal connection with them. Like Carrie Fisher was the one picked to give Debbie Reynolds her honorary Oscar.

Bacall and Lansbury were both lifelong friends of Hepburn. Glenn is the outlier there and considering how Hepburn was a control freak about her image and rarely made public appearances, I have no doubt in my mind that she would have had some sort of final approval on who was there to commemorate her at one of her only award appearances. She wouldn't have agreed to appear if she thought strangers were allowed to represent her. She clearly felt that Glenn was suitable to represent her even though she was not yet a legend like the other two women, which means Hepburn must have felt that Glenn had talent enough.

[quote] Anyway, I assume Glenn's affection for Hepburn is genuine. Hepburn's affection for any other actress was contingent on whether she thought it would be reciprocated.

I think this was slightly more true for Joan. There was an early interview with Glenda Jackson when she first started acting where she mentioned that Joan Crawford was her favorite actress but apparently Joan had stated that she didn't think Glenda had the looks or the star power to be an actress. Yet, there are interviews where Joan mentions several actresses she admires the most, which includes Katharine Hepburn and Glenda Jackson. My guess is that when she heard that she was Glenda's favorite, she changed her tune on her and began to consider Glenda to be one of her favorite actresses as well. That could be the case with Kate and Glenn as well, but even then, I don't see Joan and Kate as being the types who would elevate just any two-bit actress who fawns over them. They may have felt that Glenda and Glenn didn't have the Old Hollywood movie star looks that Joan and Kate were both associated with, but they must have felt they were good enough actresses that they could feel comfortable praising them or having them honor them publicly. By the 70s anyway, the old movie star glamour was basically gone.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2023 8:35 AM

Oh, yeah, I'm aware both had lots of 'friends' but I wonder how genuine friendships can ever be with two raging narcissists like Crawford and Hepburn.

[quote]She hated Loretta Young but they seemed on good terms towards the end since there are letters between the two.

Supposedly, Loretta let Joan hide out at an apartment building she owned when she was trying to get out of Hush, Hush... Sweet Charlotte.

Joan was writing thousands and thousands of letters in her final years and it seemed everyone got one. Hepburn once called up Lucille Ball out of the blue at some point in the late '80s to chat like old friends. Ball was baffled. She barely knew Hepburn and the only time they had worked together (fifty years prior) she was left with the feeling that Hepburn had a snobby disdain for her. Ball sensed she was lonely and politely went along.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2023 8:36 AM

R18 Both women had lots of close personal friendships but those were mostly with people who weren't as famous as them or not famous at all. In Kate's case, didn't she have that female assistant who everyone says was basically her lover? I think it's silly to pretend that they didn't have people they genuinely cared for. Especially when they both had shared friend George Cukor who they both did adore. Pearl Bailey doted on Joan and same with Robert Stack, so I can't imagine both of them were stupid enough to not recognize that her feelings for them were phony if that had been the case. Anne Bancroft also had a lot of respect for Joan which is why she let her accept her Oscar. Back when Mommie Dearest was actually meant to be directed by Franco Zeffirelli and was meant to portray Joan in a positive light as a martyr, Anne Bancroft was set to play her. When the script was changed to what we know now, that's when Bancroft refused to be involved in a hit job.

Didn't Loretta own an apartment building? I remember some variation of that story. Loretta was pretty disliked by most of the actresses back in their heydays minus her Cadillac Group, Rosalind Russell and Irene Dunne. I imagine the Clark Gable romance probably also made Joan dislike her, not to mention Loretta had been romantically linked to Spencer Tracey as well and he was also one of Joan's old flings and the actor she admired most after Gable.

You must keep in mind that by the late 80s, most of the people Hepburn had known would have been dead or dying. I'm not surprised she felt lonely then. Lucille Ball had a role in Stage Door with Hepburn. Obviously back then Hepburn was the star and Ball was only a bit player. Nor was Hepburn the type to do TV so she would never have appeared on I Love Lucy like Joan or Tallulah did. I'm not surprised Ball felt Hepburn looked down on her back then because Ball certainly wasn't anyone important at the time.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2023 8:46 AM

The mutual between Streep and Davis seemed real. Davis was Streep's favorite Golden Age actress and David correctly identified Streep as her successor as First Lady of the American Screen. But that relationship didn't have all the egotistical gatekeeping that Crawford / Hepburn would have. Davis just didn't have the rampant ego and insecurity. She know when she praised Streep it was because she meant it. It's impossible to know with Crawford / Hepburn what they really thought versus what they thought they looked best saying.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2023 8:52 AM

Hepburn was such a ridiculous woman. She owned a TV which she did not plug in but rather kept it in the middle of the room with the cord hung over it so everyone could see that she did not watch it.

I'm sure she must've plugged it in at some point, but, God, how tiring phonies are...

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2023 9:00 AM

R20 Crawford and Hepburn both admired looks because they had them and knew that part of the appeal of being a star and looking good onscreen was having physical attractiveness. Hepburn is considered more actress than star now but it was the opposite during those first few decades when she relished in being a star. That's reflected in the choices Crawford and Hepburn made since Crawford picked Faye Dunaway as the actress she wanted to have play her and Hepburn picked Vanessa Redgrave as the actress to play her in a biopic. Both Dunaway and Redgrave were considered beauties in the late 60s/70s.

Bette never had looks and neither did Meryl which is why Bette picked Meryl and why that connection exists so one can argue that Bette is equally as shallow since she never got over the fact that she was considered Hollywood's ugly duckling.

As for Glenda Jackson and Glenn Close, I do think Joan and Kate admired them as actors even if they weren't considered stunning beauties. I also do think that some of their appeal was the fact that Glenda and Glenn worshipped Joan and Kate respectively. But if they had been terrible actresses on top of not being considered conventional beauties, I don't think Joan and Kate would really have bothered to regard them as worthy of recognition.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2023 9:04 AM

[quote]Bacall and Hepburn worked with the same editor, Robert Gottlieb, while writing their respective memoirs. He recalled that Bacall didn't need any help with the writing; she just needed a place to work, so he got her an office at Knopf, his publishing company. She wrote her book by hand and had typists transcribe it at the end of each day. He remembered that they fought over the picture chosen for the back cover of the book. He wanted one of Bacall and Bogart, but she insisted it was her book only, not Bogart's. Gottlieb won the argument, and the picture stayed. He said other than that, Bacall was easy to work with. The book found its way to the top of the best-sellers list and earned a National Book Award. Hepburn was a different story. He described her autobiography "Me: Stories of My Life" as self-absorbed and not completely honest, though he thought the title was appropriate. He had worked with Hepburn on her previous book, "The Making of The African Queen: How I Went to Africa with Bogart, Bacall, and Huston and Almost Lost My Mind." That work experience, he said, was easy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2023 9:05 AM

R22 And interestingly enough, while we're talking about actresses picking other actresses to play them, Bette Davis handpicked Susan Sarandon to play her. I always thought it was interesting that even while considering Meryl to be a talent, she still wanted someone who was considered objectively attractive and sexy to play her hence her picking Susan.

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2023 9:08 AM

Didn't Bacall praise Cate Blanchett's depiction of Katharine Hepburn in The Aviator? Very convenient timing that the movie came out one year after Kate died because I would have liked to have known what Kate's thoughts would have been on Cate.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2023 9:09 AM

[quote]Crawford and Hepburn both admired looks because they had them and knew that part of the appeal of being a star and looking good onscreen was having physical attractiveness. Hepburn is considered more actress than star now but it was the opposite during those first few decades when she relished in being a star. That's reflected in the choices Crawford and Hepburn made since Crawford picked Faye Dunaway as the actress she wanted to have play her and Hepburn picked Vanessa Redgrave as the actress to play her in a biopic. Both Dunaway and Redgrave were considered beauties in the late 60s/70s.

Hepburn was definitely more of a Star than an Actress. It's simply that her Star Persona was Serious Actress (as opposed to Sex Goddess, Dumb Blonde, etc) which confuses people. That's the best way to approach her body of work.

Hepburn actually worked with Redgrave so had the chance to 'vet' her. Hepburn could never have accepted her preferred generational pick preferring Davis over her.

Crawford's attraction to Dunaway was reciprocated and was more karmic and less considered.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2023 9:11 AM

[quote][R22] And interestingly enough, while we're talking about actresses picking other actresses to play them, Bette Davis handpicked Susan Sarandon to play her. I always thought it was interesting that even while considering Meryl to be a talent, she still wanted someone who was considered objectively attractive and sexy to play her hence her picking Susan.

I doubt it was motivated by much more than the fact Sarandon does bear a resemblance to Davis. I remember seeing her doing an interview in 2016, before Feud was released, saying in a funny, blunt way that she didn't vote with her vagina and thought she reminded me of Davis in how she said it.

But all that's controversial.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2023 9:15 AM

[quote] Didn't Bacall praise Cate Blanchett's depiction of Katharine Hepburn in The Aviator? Very convenient timing that the movie came out one year after Kate died because I would have liked to have known what Kate's thoughts would have been on Cate.

Well, she had advanced dementia by the end. My feeling is she wouldn't have liked it, but would've publicly complimented it, though perhaps in a cool way.

Blanchett's performance was caricature. But since Hepburn was a gross caricature of herself it was perfect.

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2023 9:17 AM

[quote] Hepburn actually worked with Redgrave so had the chance to 'vet' her. Hepburn could never have accepted her preferred generational pick preferring Davis over her.

The two both bonded while working on The Trojan Women as they started learning to speak Spanish together so it wasn't just a case of Hepburn admiring Redgrave's talent but also the two women becoming friends. Ironically enough, the press was paying close attention because they wanted to report a feud between the two. Hepburn's comments on how the new generation was sloppy and lazy made them think she would hate Redgrave especially because of Redgrave's political activism. It turned out the political activist that Hepburn would diss would be Jane Fonda years later.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2023 9:18 AM

[QUOTE] Hepburn once called up Lucille Ball out of the blue at some point in the late '80s to chat like old friends. Ball was baffled. She barely knew Hepburn and the only time they had worked together (fifty years prior) she was left with the feeling that Hepburn had a snobby disdain for her.

They made at least two movies together. Stage Door in the 30s and Without Love (also with Spencer Tracy) in the 40s and IMO Lucille Ball stole Without Love.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2023 9:21 AM

[quote]It turned out the political activist that Hepburn would diss would be Jane Fonda years later.

After Hepburn won her final Oscar she said to Jane, "you'll never catch me now".

It seems a sad way to go through life really, defining every relationship through acting awards.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2023 9:22 AM

[quote] Well, she had advanced dementia by the end. My feeling is she wouldn't have liked it, but would've publicly complimented it, though perhaps in a cool way. Blanchett's performance was caricature. But since Hepburn was a gross caricature of herself it was perfect.

Cate was still very fairly new in the industry at that point with Elizabeth being the main showcase for her acting. She didn't quite have the status she does now as one of the most respected actresses in the industry so I think Kate would appreciate her more now than she would have back then if Cate had ever been on her radar. Although I wonder if during her last days, if she was ever coherent enough to know that Cate Blanchett was meant to play her in a Howard Hughes biopic. Perhaps the more interesting question to pose would have been her thoughts on the portrayal of Howard Hughes.

I've never read Faye Dunaway's thoughts on Kate but considering she played her in that play she was fired from, I imagine she must have liked her. It would be nice to get a film on Kate's waning years, with either Blanchett reprising her role or Redgrave playing Kate this time the way Kate wanted.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2023 9:23 AM

[quote] They made at least two movies together. Stage Door in the 30s and Without Love (also with Spencer Tracy) in the 40s and IMO Lucille Ball stole Without Love.

Yes, yes. That's right. If you really squint she even looks a little like Hepburn there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2023 9:24 AM

R31 What's worse is that she sent it as a telegram so it wasn't even said in person. That quote of Hepburn's is what inspired me to make the thread on Jane Fonda about if she was considered the best actress of her era after Hepburn since the consensus back then seemed to be that Jane would be able to become a 3-time Oscar winner and catch up to Hepburn before On Golden Pond. Little did anyone predict that Frances McDormand would be the one to achieve that.

I think Jane said in other interviews that Hepburn did not view her as a real actress and thought she was awful.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2023 9:26 AM

[quote]I've never read Faye Dunaway's thoughts on Kate but considering she played her in that play she was fired from, I imagine she must have liked her.

Dunaway really threw herself into playing Crawford. She found something in that role she could do and did it. Her Hepburn, if the reports are correct, seemed to less committed. She was approached for the role, rather than seeking it and she complained about being made to look old, despite the fact she was supposed to be old.

Faye is like both women in that she 'likes' anyone who flatters her. She can actually be nice in interviews when whoever is interviewing her simply spends the whole interview giving her compliments.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2023 9:29 AM

[QUOTE] Yes, yes. That's right. If you really squint she even looks a little like Hepburn there.

Wow, she kinda does.

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2023 9:29 AM

[quote] Dunaway really threw herself into playing Crawford. She found something in that role she could do and did it. Her Hepburn, if the reports are correct, seemed to less committed. She was approached for the role, rather than seeking it and she complained about being made to look old, despite the fact she was supposed to be old.

Ironic then considering the huge fit she threw when she was fired. One would think she'd be used to it by now, at least on Broadway.

by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2023 9:33 AM

Bacall might not have been a great actress, but she had great presence and a beautiful, forceful speaking voice, however manufactured.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2023 9:33 AM

[quote] Bacall might not have been a great actress

She had two Tonys whereas Hepburn had 0. In fact, Hepburn lost out one of her Tonys to Bacall. I'm surprised that didn't put a damper on their friendship.

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2023 9:35 AM

r38 that last part in the clip about circumstances is easy to say when you're born rich and privileged

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2023 9:36 AM

[quote]I'm surprised that didn't put a damper on their friendship.

It did! Bacall wrote about that in her book.

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2023 9:36 AM

The old story goes: Coco Chanel was told Hepburn was going to play her and was delighted. Then was told it was not Audrey and was repulsed.

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2023 9:38 AM

[quote][R38] that last part in the clip about circumstances is easy to say when you're born rich and privileged

It is hard to overestimate how much of a significant amount of Hepburn's later stature was afforded to her because she didn't do the low-rent productions that her contemporaries needed to do to survive.

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2023 9:40 AM

R41 It did! Bacall wrote about that in her book.

Oooh, interesting. Another reason to pick up her book then! Bacall was quite good at maintaining friendships with rivals she she initially hated Ingrid Bergman for playing her Cactus Flower role onscreen but then they became friends after.

by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2023 9:42 AM

[quote] It is hard to overestimate how much of a significant amount of Hepburn's later stature was afforded to her because she didn't do the low-rent productions that her contemporaries needed to do to survive.

Part of that wasn't as much about Hepburn's family fortune as it was the fact that unlike her contemporaries, Hepburn wasn't married and she had no children. She had no need to pay alimonies to multiple ex-husbands or worry about being swindled by her husband and no children to support.

by Anonymousreply 45May 24, 2023 9:43 AM

The Bacall / Hepburn friendship seemed to be marked by as much chilliness as it was warmth. Bacall has spoken about Hepburn a lot. Hepburn didn't speak much about Bacall.

by Anonymousreply 46May 24, 2023 9:44 AM

No. Kate was all about being refined and keepi mg her nose in the air, casual elegance. McDormand is a Bette Davis-type actor, not about affectations but about embodying the dirty reality of a character.

I think Kate and Joan Crawford had more in common given that both were so mannered.

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2023 9:46 AM

Cecil Beaton gave an great takedown of Hepburn in Coco, made all the more withering by how amazingly accurate it is. We had a fun thread on that a couple of years ago, but I think it's gone now.

by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2023 9:46 AM

Katharine Hepburn was essentially just a WASPish Connecticut snob.

by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2023 9:48 AM

[quote]I think Kate and Joan Crawford had more in common given that both were so mannered.

Joan is at her most boring and least 'buyable' onscreen when she is doing that hoity-toity lady acting she would sometimes decide was what a role needed. She further she got away from that the better she was. Hepburn spent her entire career operating in that mode. There isn't a single moment in her career that feels organic or revealing.

by Anonymousreply 50May 24, 2023 9:49 AM

R45 All stars who become very successful inevitably become one-person small businesses and when their careers slow they have to either cut the people who surround them loose or compromise their integrity to support them.

We see all these movie stars make many millions on a role but they pay like 50% of their incomes to management, agents, stylists and all the people they employ, 35% in taxes and so on. They're very rich but their expenses are crazy. They are employers.

Joan Rivers became the sole provider of her manager and her assistant and her assistant's whole family and she felt too obligated to support them to slow down her career. Same with Whoopi Goldberg. Both talk(ed) about their work as work because they need(ed) steady ongoing income to keep those paychecks flowing out to those who worked for them.

by Anonymousreply 51May 24, 2023 9:51 AM

Kate Hepburn doesn't give a shit about Oscars. Hence why she never showed up to collect them when her name was announced.

So, considering that Frances McDormand is kind of the equivalent today (fat chance a person of her stature would be a no-show in today's cultural/social environment), I don't think Kate Hepburn would give two fucks.

I don't think Fran gives two fucks.

But the OP does for some reason.

by Anonymousreply 52May 24, 2023 9:55 AM

It's a lonely life. I wonder if Hepburn or Crawford ever had the necessary ability to reflect on that when they were alone in their final years.

Davis did obviously, since she titled an autobiography that.

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2023 9:56 AM

[quote]Kate Hepburn doesn't give a shit about Oscars.

That's just not true. As evidence by R31.

[quote]Hence why she never showed up to collect them when her name was announced.

When you're a raging egotist the thought of losing is much worse than the thought of being able to bask in a brief speech. Crawford felt the same way which is why she didn't collect hers. Both cared very much, but weren't going to let anyone else know that while they risked losing.

by Anonymousreply 54May 24, 2023 10:00 AM

[quote] When you're a raging egotist the thought of losing is much worse than the thought of being able to bask in a brief speech. Crawford felt the same way which is why she didn't collect hers. Both cared very much, but weren't going to let anyone else know that while they risked losing.

Streisand is another example. When she was up for The Way We Were, she was hiding by the curtains so that if she won she could go out to collect her Oscar but if she lost (as she did) there would be no camera on her to record her reaction. How fitting that Hepburn and Streisand were the only Best Actress tie.

by Anonymousreply 55May 24, 2023 10:14 AM

Streisand was convinced she was going to win alone in 1969. If she had known it was going to be a tie she would NEVER have turned up.

Of course not turning up was the trend in the '60s -- with more Best Actress winners NOT turning up than were.

by Anonymousreply 56May 24, 2023 10:18 AM

[quote] Crawford felt the same way which is why she didn't collect hers.

In Crawford's case, she was also convinced that Ingrid Bergman would win because she topped the box office that year in multiple films and had won one of the precursor critics awards. Joan also won a critics award but by Oscar morning, she was convinced Bergman would win again which is why she got too sick to attend. The rest is Oscars history and one of the most memorable and unique wins. It's too bad Judy Garland wasn't able to follow Joan as the second actress to win her Oscar in bed.

by Anonymousreply 57May 24, 2023 10:18 AM

If Hepburn was such an egomaniac why would she let so man of her male co-stars take top billing over her? Spencer Tracy, Burt Lancaster, John Wayne, just to name a few.

by Anonymousreply 58June 15, 2023 9:28 PM

What a ridiculously dump question. This thread will eventually need a part II.

by Anonymousreply 59June 15, 2023 9:31 PM

They have another thing in common – they are both

LESBIAN

by Anonymousreply 60June 15, 2023 9:45 PM

I'm still not dead yet!

by Anonymousreply 61June 15, 2023 9:51 PM

[quote] "Hepburn didn't care for Streep or Close, until she knew the latter would kiss her ring. But she did care for Julia Roberts and Melanie Griffith."

I love "Working Girl" & "Steel Magnolias" as much as the next gay, but CAN YOU IMAGINE?!

by Anonymousreply 62June 15, 2023 9:53 PM

Frances McDormand will win a 4th acting Oscar. Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 63June 15, 2023 10:41 PM

And perhaps the better question is if Frances McDormand is Daniel Day-Lewis' female counterpart as they both have 3 lead category Oscars each.

by Anonymousreply 64June 15, 2023 10:53 PM

Bette Davis at one point handpicked Carol Kane to play her in a bio-pic. Apparently they were neighbors in a Hollywood apartment building.

The young Kate Mulgrew, when she played Mary Ryan on Ryan's Hope, screamed Katharine Hepburn to me. She wore her hair up at the Emmys one year, and looked just like Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 65June 16, 2023 1:05 AM

Kate looked for star power that's why she loved Julia Roberts. "That girl has it. She's gonna be star." She said it before anyone.

by Anonymousreply 66June 16, 2023 4:02 AM

If Kate wants star power, the only actress left with any would be Lady Gaga

by Anonymousreply 67June 16, 2023 4:42 AM

^Julia Roberts is the last female movie star. It's not gonna happen again. It's also not gonna happen for a male again either.

by Anonymousreply 68June 16, 2023 4:45 AM

R68 Conveniently ignoring Sandra Bullock. Julia hasn't come close to Sandra's recent successes.

by Anonymousreply 69June 16, 2023 4:45 AM

Technology is the star now.

by Anonymousreply 70June 16, 2023 4:46 AM

R69 it's not about current in this conversation. Its about who made it possible for a Sandra Bullock

by Anonymousreply 71June 16, 2023 4:48 AM

Julia Roberts had about 7 name above the titles before Sandra Bullock had one. It's just not the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 72June 16, 2023 4:50 AM

Julia's last box office hit that didn't rely on Clooney or Pitt (so no Ocean's 11 franchise) was Erin Brockovich. Way back in 2000.

Bullock had The Proposal, The Blind Side, The Heat, Gravity, and The Lost City, just to name a few. She had top billing in her Ocean's 8 movie which was centered around her and Blanchett, whereas Roberts is always just the supporting female in hers. Bullock also had Bird Box which was a streaming success all over the globe and broke Netflix records.

Don't make up lies that Roberts is the last female movie star and then dismiss Bullock by claiming Bullock's success is only because Roberts paved the way for her. The point stands that Bullock has been remained consistent as a box office draw throughout her long career and she continues to be one, whereas Roberts reached her peak 23 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 73June 16, 2023 5:13 AM

It's not lies moron. Keep thinking Sandra Bullock is bigger than Julia Roberts. You don't get what the industry was like in 1989. Bullock was a non factor. She wormed her way by being Julia Roberts lite. She took what Julia turned down.

by Anonymousreply 74June 16, 2023 5:21 AM

R74 is a cretin who needs to learn to read a sentence before opening his mouth and letting drivel pour out. I'm not talking about who was a bigger star in 1989. Of course Sandra wasn't even known then. But Julia's heydays were from 1989/90 to 2000 as a box office star. Bullock consistently had box office hits in the late 90s all the way to last year. She's had far greater staying power and continues to remain a box office star. Julia burnt out her star power ages ago. There's a reason Julia turned to streaming TV (in a show that had no cultural relevance and came and went) whereas Sandra has stuck with films and never turned to TV, not even prestige TV (which couldn't even be said to describe Julia's show).

The bigger star overall turned out to be Sandra. She didn't start the race first but she's still running it.

by Anonymousreply 75June 16, 2023 5:35 AM

Sure hon. Most of the modern world sees Sandra as the bigger star. Worldwide. Fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 76June 16, 2023 5:46 AM

R75 oh sweetie you think it was Sandra that opened things up for women? Let me guess your MAGA aren't you?

by Anonymousreply 77June 16, 2023 5:50 AM

R76 please provide the picture proof that Sandra Bullock was a star on her own and not an opportunist in every capacity. How many Roberts posters featured her giant face selling the picture. You stupid fucking moron where are Bullock's featured posters like Roberts? Dumbass

by Anonymousreply 78June 16, 2023 6:13 AM

Who cares what a woman dead for 20 years might think?

by Anonymousreply 79June 16, 2023 7:10 AM

R79 DL is not the place for you then

by Anonymousreply 80June 16, 2023 7:23 AM

[quote] Despite her success as one of the industry’s foremost actresses, she saw the audience as her “natural enemy” and would repeatedly seek reassurance of her talent from those closest to her. Her nephew, Mundy Hepburn, recalled that her anxiety was extreme when she came backstage after live performances: “Now and again she’d puke in the wastebasket, because she was so wired and scared and ‘Oh my God, what’ll they think? I’ve got to do a good job’ … Then she’d go on stage and be absolutely brilliant … She’d grab me by the shoulders. ‘Was I any good? Was I any good?’”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81June 18, 2023 5:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!