Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Oprah Floated as Potential Replacement for Sen. Dianne Feinstein

Will Stedman get to be First Gentleman someday?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 24, 2023 8:53 PM

I approve

by Anonymousreply 1May 24, 2023 3:06 AM

I don't really see Oprah as particularly political. Like Michelle Obama even though she'd be popular, I doubt she'd want it.

by Anonymousreply 2May 24, 2023 3:06 AM

She probably has too much going on financially to do this....takes time to untangle finances and there's only 18 months left in the term. But she would be a great seat filler if she didn't run. She gets to serve in senate for under 2 years with no year of campaigning (or spending the $100 mil it would cost to run). and she could bring enormous attention to specific issues that most senators dont have the star power to do

by Anonymousreply 3May 24, 2023 3:11 AM

Never happen.

Oprah's got a full plate of her own. She doesn't want to step into the muck of ALSO being a Senator.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2023 3:15 AM

She may not want the Repugs digging up dirt on her

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2023 3:18 AM

Yeah I don't see Oprah getting into politics at this stage of her life. Not only because of the scrutiny she'd get and the negative impact it would have on her brand, but the change of lifestyle and commitment it would take. There was a video of her I watched recently where she talked about how she gets annoyed with Gayle who is always ringing telling Oprah to turn on the tv for major breaking news stories and Oprah just wants to have peace and read her book. I don't see her wanting to be in the thick of debt ceiling negotiations or having to vote on taking military action in foreign countries.

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2023 3:20 AM

Stedman is VERY busy, so I will be staying with Sen. Winfrey in Washington, where I can help her out in the evenings.

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2023 3:21 AM

No.

by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2023 3:23 AM

Can't this bitch get out of everybody's way?

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2023 3:31 AM

I don’t know about this. She was a talk show host who tried to stay open to all sides on her show for years and I’d hate for her to be that type of legislator. Joining the Senate as a Democrat would alienate half the white women in America, who like her.

It’s not in her best interest.

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2023 4:07 AM

The whole concept of just parachuting in celebs is fairly alien to me and I think the same to the majority of voters. High level politicians and rich people will like it but many ordinary people will see these people as living in a totally different world - they don't really understand. Republicans may be fooled (Trump) but Dems as a whole tend to be smarter.

by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2023 4:13 AM

Well R11, we did it in California with the Governator, so you never know.

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2023 4:16 AM

R12 Good point, to be honest...

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2023 4:18 AM

Uh, no. She’s unqualified and a closeted lesbian. It makes no sense.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2023 4:20 AM

In a world in which Senator Tuberville is a thing, I guess anything at all is possible.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2023 4:26 AM

Newsom should appoint Kamala so it gets her out of the White House. Win-win.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2023 4:32 AM

[quote]Oprah Floated...

We're gonna need a bigger boat.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2023 4:42 AM

Stay in your media empire lane, bitch!

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2023 4:48 AM

That would be totally acceptable, R16. But then who would Biden want as Veep? Couldn't be someone the Republicans thought they could run roughshod or worse, liked, because then they'd kill Biden. So in a preemptive move he'd have to nominate someone that the right would have a freakout over... Secretary Pete? Stacey Abrams? Gavin?

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2023 4:56 AM

Float? Great big fat people don't float.

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2023 5:06 AM

R14 That's your opinion. And even is she was, why would that matter?

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2023 5:08 AM

Because the Republicans would make it an issue and she never would get anything done.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2023 5:31 AM

I make more money per minute than a senator makes all year. No thanks.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2023 5:45 AM

Orca floated out...

by Anonymousreply 24May 24, 2023 6:29 AM

Gavin is annoying me. Oprah is not a good pick.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2023 7:25 AM

Someone who believes that wishing hard enough causes things? Someone who made Oz happen? The US doesn't need more quacks. There must be a better option.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2023 7:53 AM

Oprah ticks the diversity boxes Gavin has stupidly committed to. And she's not an idiot. So she's not the worse pick.

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2023 7:55 AM

My wife does politics - she’s really good.

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2023 7:58 AM

R22 What issue can they make? She has a male partner. They can start stupid conspiracies like they did about Hillary being gay or Michelle being trans or some other dumb shit.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2023 8:13 AM

Newsom originally wanted Lucy, but Gary told her her fans just wouldn't want to see her in the Senate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2023 8:19 AM

She is the perfect candidate: a narcissistic egomaniac, thinks she knows everything, always has someone else to blame for her failings and errors, is condescending and disdainful towards anyone who lacks power, is completely detached from reality and is one of the first promoters of the woke ideology.

In short, she is the ideal candidate to join the hypocritical, dishonest and self-serving corporate Democrats / not-to-hidden Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2023 8:31 AM

No way.

Oprah is one, not one of a hundred.

by Anonymousreply 32May 24, 2023 9:30 AM

Does the Senate have stairs?

Oprah doesn't do stairs.

by Anonymousreply 33May 24, 2023 9:31 AM

Oprah couldn’t float if her life depended on it.

by Anonymousreply 34May 24, 2023 10:14 AM

Incredibly stupid idea. We need people who know policy inside and out, not some celebrity's favorite color. No more Tubervilles and Boeberts in our House or Senate, for the love of God.

by Anonymousreply 35May 24, 2023 10:21 AM

God no. She’s an idiot with poor judgment: Dr. Phil, Dr. Oz, etc.

by Anonymousreply 36May 24, 2023 10:22 AM

It will never happen. Oprah doesn't do stairs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 24, 2023 10:29 AM

I find it hilarious that Pete Buttigieg cannot even get elected in California. Yes he has a job but I doubt he will be in a second Biden Administration. You know Pete is desperate to go to the Senate and stay for 30 years, no matter what state. Pete "bravely" announced he will not run for Michigan Senate---a seat he has ZERO percent of winning. Hillary was welcome in New York. Don't see anyone rolling out the red carpet for Pete.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 24, 2023 10:32 AM

What qualifications does Oprah have? Must we have another clown like all the other ones in Congress? The woman gave us Dr. Oz and Dr. Phil.

by Anonymousreply 39May 24, 2023 10:42 AM

and Gayle.

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2023 11:21 AM

Death to all oligarchs

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2023 11:24 AM

[quote]Well [R11], we did it in California with the Governator, so you never know.

Yes, and what a success it was! FFS.

I'm not sure what the obsession is with appointing a black female candidate in a state whose black population is less than 6%.

Not thrilled with either celebs or carpetbaggers.

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2023 11:34 AM

Ted Lieu.

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2023 11:41 AM

She wouldn't be willing to live in D.C. End of story.

by Anonymousreply 44May 24, 2023 11:45 AM

Sen Feinstein should NOT resign. There is no guarantee her replacement would be allowed on the committee that votes for federal judges. The GOP would fight it tooth and nail

by Anonymousreply 45May 24, 2023 1:01 PM

I don't understand why this wasn't dealt with tactfully, respectfully and FIRMLY behind the scenes, well before it was allowed to become a public spectacle. For all her faults, Feinstein is a stalwart of the CA Democratic party and should have been carefully persuaded to hang it up before everything hit the fan.

by Anonymousreply 46May 24, 2023 1:14 PM

"Let's create a story out of nothing substantial and pretend everyone's talking about this." --Daily Beast

by Anonymousreply 47May 24, 2023 1:19 PM

If Oprah is selected, she could give out the $1 million reparation checks to every black resident.

by Anonymousreply 48May 24, 2023 2:32 PM

Ridiculous.

Will there ever come a day when "Oprah is our Savior!" will end?

Oprah is a skilled and lucky talk show host and sometime actress. She's not Madame Curie, Mark Twain, or Shirley Chisholm!

by Anonymousreply 49May 24, 2023 3:43 PM

Aren’t we talking about a mere placeholder appointment? Someone who would serve out Feinstein’s term, while not seeking election on their own? Newsom’s committed to naming a Black woman as Feinstein’s successor, but doesn’t want to be seen as giving a leg up to Senate candidate Barbara Lee.

by Anonymousreply 50May 24, 2023 3:59 PM

[quote] Oprah's got a full plate of her own.

That's because she's always going back to the buffet for more.

by Anonymousreply 51May 24, 2023 4:23 PM

"She may not want the Repugs digging up dirt on her"

We just had a perpetual liar, con artist/thief/grifter criminal traitor as President and a First Lady who was photographed nude with her fingers sticking up her twat, and 70 milllion people voted for him.

What could the Republicans possibly dig up on her or Steadman that would even begin to approach the Trump clan's level of indecency and incompetence.

by Anonymousreply 52May 24, 2023 4:31 PM

R43 2nd Ted Lieu... he is fantastic and my Congressman. I have dealt with office personally. Class act, and he is smart.

by Anonymousreply 53May 24, 2023 4:36 PM

[quote]Sen Feinstein should NOT resign. There is no guarantee her replacement would be allowed on the committee

The only way the Dems could replace her without the consent of the Republicants is if she were to resign and Newsom appointed her replacement. And no, her replacement probably wouldn't be placed on the Judiciary committee, perhaps the most important committee in the Senate for the next year and a half; the seat would probably go to Ben Cardin in the interim until the next election.

[quote]I don't understand why this wasn't dealt with tactfully, respectfully and FIRMLY behind the scenes...

The problem is DiFi. The behind-the-scenes work has been underway for months if not years. There is a reason that three California Dems announced runs for Senate [italic]before[/italic] Dianne announced she wouldn't seek reelection. Bottom line, she's suffering from dementia and age-related health issues. But she won't resign and apparently there's no one in her life who has enough influence to convince her it's well past time she step down. And it's due to her stalwart position within the Democratic party that she hasn't been forced out. And, of course, the Republicants in the Senate would scream bloody murder if she was forced to resign because they like having a geriatric low-energy California Senator right where she is, and not a young, viable candidate given the benefit of incumbency.

by Anonymousreply 54May 24, 2023 4:58 PM

Floated like a Yhanksgiving Day Parade ballon.

by Anonymousreply 55May 24, 2023 4:59 PM

Oprah is only fit for executive leadership. She is not accustomed to negotiating or compromising -- it is either the Oprah way or oblivion. She'd make a great President.

by Anonymousreply 56May 24, 2023 5:14 PM

[quote] Joining the Senate as a Democrat would alienate half the white women in America, who like her. It’s not in her best interest.

No one holds sway over white women like Oprah. She got them to vote for Obama. I'd say she would have at least 60% of the white female electorate in her pocket. Everyone knows this and that is why she is always discussed as a potential candidate. I don't think she would ever do it.

by Anonymousreply 57May 24, 2023 5:18 PM

Get a grip, folks. She’d only be a caretaker appointment, serving only until the end of Feinstein’s term. She’s not being talked about as a potential Senate candidate. That’s a job for the peasants. Like Dr. Oz.

by Anonymousreply 58May 24, 2023 6:52 PM

[quote]No one holds sway over white women like Oprah. She got them to vote for Obama.

Oh, really?

This is the first I'm hearing of this, yet the billionth time someone is granting Oprah magical powers she doesn't have.

It is almost like a cult.

by Anonymousreply 59May 24, 2023 7:00 PM

This is a terrible idea.

There IS something to the idea that someone who is not already engaged in holding an office or up for an election should take the rest of Feinstein's term, so as not to favor any of the candidates or throw anything out of balance.

But Oprah just isn't qualified.

Jerry Brown would have worked if he was a few years younger, but at 85 I'd be worried about him croaking too.

by Anonymousreply 60May 24, 2023 7:08 PM

[quote] Get a grip, folks. She’d only be a caretaker appointment, serving only until the end of Feinstein’s term. She’s not being talked about as a potential Senate candidate. That’s a job for the peasants. Like Dr. Oz.

I think the negatives outweigh the positives. Oprah taking this seat would just give Fox News and conservatives fresh fuel for their whole "coastal elites" cry.

by Anonymousreply 61May 24, 2023 7:09 PM

In a world where Donald Trump was president:

No, she's not qualified.

Period.

by Anonymousreply 62May 24, 2023 7:11 PM

I was a Senate intern - & attended her swearing-in ceremony - when Muriel Humphrey was appointed to succeed her late husband in the Senate. It was understood to be a caretaker appointment, & she did not run for the office.

by Anonymousreply 63May 24, 2023 7:16 PM

We are not a plutocracy

by Anonymousreply 64May 24, 2023 7:23 PM

Oh Hell NO. NO Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 65May 24, 2023 7:24 PM

People who believe in and promote my truth, feelings being elevated over facts are not suitable to be politicians . Not fit for the role.

by Anonymousreply 66May 24, 2023 7:32 PM

[quote] Oprah hasn't floated since those "oops" helium injections in 1996.

The only thing of hers that floats are her small automobile sized turds.

by Anonymousreply 67May 24, 2023 7:36 PM

Please. These tabloids need to stop with the fucking fanfiction, already.

by Anonymousreply 68May 24, 2023 7:43 PM

I mean, speaking of fanfiction, I'd place my money on Tom & Greg fucking raw in the Succession finale over Oprah running for any political office.

by Anonymousreply 69May 24, 2023 7:46 PM

^ There’s no talk of her “running for any political office.”

by Anonymousreply 70May 24, 2023 8:04 PM

Floated? Like wood. Natalie Wood!

by Anonymousreply 71May 24, 2023 8:14 PM

Never going to happen. This is delusional nonsense that someone dreamt up. She has always eschewed serving in any elected or appointed office. Why would she want to? She’s an extraordinarily rich, powerful, and influential woman. She does not need the constraints that would be imposed on a United States Senator.

by Anonymousreply 72May 24, 2023 8:38 PM

Float some DONUTS 🍩🍩🍩🍩 by Oprah and she'll consider doing

ANYTHING

by Anonymousreply 73May 24, 2023 8:50 PM

Well, R72, it would be a short-term appointment. We’re almost at the halfway point of the year and DiFi’s term expires the end of next year.

by Anonymousreply 74May 24, 2023 8:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!