Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Montana Governor: "Sex" means MALE or FEMALE

HELENA, Mont. (AP) — Republican Governor Greg Gianforte has signed a bill defining the word “sex” in state law as only male or female — joining Kansas and Tennessee, which have similar laws that LGBTQ+ advocates argue will deny legal recognition to nonbinary and transgender people.

Medical professionals say the laws also ignore that some people are born as intersex — a term that encompasses about 60 conditions in which a person is born with genitalia, reproductive organs, chromosomes and/or hormone levels that don’t fit typical definitions of male or female.

The sponsor of the bill said the change is needed to clarify from a legal standpoint that “sex” and “gender” don’t mean the same thing.

The Montana bill “is an attempt to erase trans, nonbinary and two-spirit people from the code, thereby removing the rights, privileges and considerations that trans, nonbinary and Two Spirit people would have under the law," said SK Rossi last month, testifying against the legislation on behalf of the Human Rights Campaign.

The bill, which Gianforte signed on Friday, was approved during a legislative session that also passed a ban on gender-affirming medical care for transgender minors and saw transgender lawmaker Democratic Rep. Zooey Zephyr expelled from the House floor, following a protest against Republican lawmakers who had silenced her.

Other states have or are considering adopting similar legislation to Montana's, to define “sex,” which would block residents from changing the identifying labels on their birth certificates and driver’s licenses. Laws in Kansas and Tennessee are scheduled to take effect on July 1, while Montana's would take effect on Oct. 1.

Transgender people opt to change the sex on their birth certificates and driver’s licenses so their documentation matches their identity.

Lauren Wilson, president of the Montana chapter of the American Academy of Pediatricians, said the bill’s assertion that there are exactly two sexes isn’t true from a medical standpoint.

The bill defines female as having XX chromosomes, and a reproductive and endocrine system that produces or would produce ova, or eggs. Male is defined as having XY chromosomes and a biological system that produces or would produce sperm.

The bill was amended to say that anyone who would fall under the definition of either male or female, “but for a biological or genetic condition,” would fall under the initial determination of male or female.

“The amendment added to address intersex people actually makes the bill more inaccurate as well,” Wilson said.

A bill before the Texas legislature was amended to allow a delay in reporting the biological sex of a child if it could not be determined at birth.

The Montana bill “has no basis in science and seeks to reduce every single one of our existences to our reproductive capacity," argued Keegan Medrano, the policy director for the ACLU of Montana.

The bill's sponsor, Republican Sen. Carl Glimm, said the legislation was necessary after a 2022 court ruling in which a state judge said transgender residents could change the gender markers on their birth certificates. That ruling — which conflated sex with gender — blocked a bill sponsored by Glimm the previous year that would have only allowed a birth certificate change if the person had undergone a gender-affirming surgical procedure.

Montana's health department later passed a rule saying that no changes could be made to the listed sex on a resident's birth certificate unless it was incorrectly recorded due to a transcription error.

A person's biological sex cannot be changed, Glimm argued, in presenting his bill to the House Judiciary Committee last month.

“You may claim to be able to change your gender or express your gender in a different way, but you can never change your biological sex," he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2023 5:12 PM

Has the non-binary son commented yet?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2023 11:31 PM

So besides his nonbinary son there are how many trans people in Montana? Two? three, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2023 11:36 PM

In my day we called "two spirit" people Sybil or schizophrenic

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2023 11:38 PM

How can an enby be a son? He's neither son nor daughter.

by Anonymousreply 4May 24, 2023 12:25 AM

I honestly couldn't care less.

by Anonymousreply 5May 24, 2023 1:02 AM

Is CNN misgendering the non binary kid? How can someone be non binary and a son at the same time?

by Anonymousreply 6May 24, 2023 1:10 AM

Literal Violence!

by Anonymousreply 7May 24, 2023 3:51 AM

The adult non-binary child of the governor goes by "he and they" pronouns and I'm guessing that's why CNN referred to the enby as "a son" in their recent article.

From People

[quote] David Gianforte — a resident of Bozeman, Montana, who identifies as nonbinary and goes by both "he" and "they" pronouns — told the Montana Free Press that they initially expressed opposition to the bill to their dad via email, asking "as your constituent and your son" for him to veto the bills when they reach his desk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8May 24, 2023 4:00 AM

Why are there so many trans-obsessive threads on DL?

by Anonymousreply 9May 24, 2023 4:02 AM

Not a girl, not yet a women. All I need is time. A moment that is mine. While I’m in between….

by Anonymousreply 10May 24, 2023 4:03 AM

On a related note, I'm surprised this Michigan politician hasn't gotten more attention in the mainstream media.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 24, 2023 4:03 AM

Woman*** we can’t assume there’s voices

by Anonymousreply 12May 24, 2023 4:04 AM

[quote] Why are there so many trans-obsessive threads on DL?

This isn't a "trans-obsessive thread" you fucking moron.

It's actual LEGISLATION. Anti-trans signed into LAW by the Governor of a State.

And it's important to be aware of what's going on.

Asshole.

by Anonymousreply 13May 24, 2023 4:06 AM

Tell that to Justice Ketanji, which can't tell the difference betweena man and a woman.

by Anonymousreply 14May 24, 2023 4:12 AM

R13 I’m not that poster, and I agree it is good to know what’s going on, and this is more newsworthy than many of the trans (or anti trans as they actually are) threads. But as with all of these threads, and knowing the context of how they tend to develop on this website, it’s safe to say that a good amount of them are started in bad faith by the original poster in order to give the anti trans trolls yet…another…opportunity to post hundreds of copy / paste trans hate comments. So I’m with you, but also understand the other poster’s frustrations.

by Anonymousreply 15May 24, 2023 4:15 AM

Greg Gianforte lookslike the Mr. Clean mascot.

by Anonymousreply 16May 24, 2023 4:17 AM

I’m glad these republicans are discussing such incredibly important political issues so extensively. Thank god the country is facing no other challenges and they can focus on nomenclature.

by Anonymousreply 17May 24, 2023 4:19 AM

God they're writing articles about this guy's son? How fucking humiliating and what a failure of a parent you are if your kid's big claim to fame is some made up identity. Fucking Kardashians bring more to the world than some navel gazer who claims to be neither man nor woman.

by Anonymousreply 18May 24, 2023 9:01 AM

"David Gianforte — a resident of Bozeman, Montana, who identifies as nonbinary and goes by both "he" and "they" pronouns — told the Montana Free Press that they initially expressed opposition to the bill to their dad via email, asking "as your constituent and your son" for him to veto the bills when they reach his desk."

If you're his son, you're a fucking dude, therefore on the binary.

by Anonymousreply 19May 24, 2023 9:04 AM

[quote] The Montana bill “has no basis in science .....," argued Keegan Medrano, the policy director for the ACLU of Montana.

How can anyone take the ACLU seriously anymore??? "No basis in science???" WTF??? XY vs. XX? Sperm vs. Ova??

What "science" does trans have a basis in?

by Anonymousreply 20May 24, 2023 1:50 PM

So do the trans now claim they can actually change "SEX" too? though it was just "gender" so what's the problem with this bill?

by Anonymousreply 21May 24, 2023 1:52 PM

[quote] The Montana bill “has no basis in science .....," argued Keegan Medrano, the policy director for the ACLU of Montana.

"Progressives" promoting yet more stupid.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2023 2:03 PM

I find it interesting at best that the republithugs have decided that people proclaiming themselves to be trans are equivalent to people with documented intersex conditions. The people with intersex conditions aren’t necessarily trying to have “visibility and influence “ and many are just attempting to get medical treatment because doctors are now allowed to exclude them in the same group as the self proclaimed trans.

by Anonymousreply 23May 24, 2023 2:25 PM

A reminder that this was the dude who beat up a reporter then was elected governor.

by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2023 2:01 AM

"Trans women are women!!! Trans men are men!!! Sex and gender are two different things!!!"

"OK then, we'll use the words 'male' and 'female' when referring to biological sex, which, as you constantly point out, is different from gender." We won't mention gender in this bill, nor the use of "man" or "woman".

"HATE SPEECH!!! LITERAL VIOLENCE!!! TRANSPHOBIA!!! GENOCIDE!!!!!"

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2023 2:28 AM

[quote]So do the trans now claim they can actually change "SEX" too? though it was just "gender" so what's the problem with this bill?

They’re now saying sex is a man made concept. They just keep getting wackier and wackier, and what is so dangerous is that they’re erasing homosexuality. If sex doesn’t exist, homosexuality doesn’t and that puts us all in danger when it comes to law. They’re also screaming that if you’re only into men with penises, you have a genital fetish. I’m sorry, but this shit needs to stop.

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2023 2:39 AM

R26 girl who is ‘they’? Is it one person on twitter? Is it a second account of some twitter interaction you found on a Reddit sub? You people are just so braindead.

Do you have any citations? Maybe since you’re talking about ‘them’ as a group you might provide something like a manifesto from a group representing trans people that says the things you claim? Otherwise you’re just making shit up lol.

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2023 3:59 AM

But it’s been explained over and over again by the trans community that sex and gender are different. That sex is biological and gender is expression.

So what’s the issue?

The proper response would have been “We know” to make them look foolish. Instead the trans people are moving the goal post and contradicting themselves.

by Anonymousreply 28May 26, 2023 4:06 AM

[quote] girl who is ‘they’? Is it one person on twitter? Is it a second account of some twitter interaction you found on a Reddit sub? You people are just so braindead.

No, idiot, it’s from their organizations, it’s from protestors, it’s from gender studies professors. Wake the fuck up.

by Anonymousreply 29May 26, 2023 4:07 AM

[quote] But it’s been explained over and over again by the trans community that sex and gender are different. That sex is biological and gender is expression.

That position has now changed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 26, 2023 4:09 AM

Oy vey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 26, 2023 4:10 AM

Written by a pink-haired tranny.

“Debunking “Trans Women Are Not Women” Arguments”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 26, 2023 4:12 AM

R32 I tried to read that article on Medium. I got to “assigned the male sex at birth”. I wish they’d make up their fucking minds - were they assigned male SEX or male GENDER at birth. These loons keep changing the fucking story and fucking rules and fucking experience and fucking everything.

When it comes to sex - XY chromosomes? Male. XX Chromosomes? Female.

If putting a dress and wig and pearls on gives you a hard on - have at it.

by Anonymousreply 33May 26, 2023 2:32 PM

"girl who is ‘they’? Is it one person on twitter?"

Um, when that "one person on Twitter" controls the ACLU with an iron fist, yeah, it kinda matters. And I could show you a lot more of those "one persons".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 26, 2023 4:38 PM

R19 I think the son is an attention whore. He probably wants extra attention because not many elected officials have out gay kids.

by Anonymousreply 35August 20, 2023 4:35 PM

I am far from Republican or conservative, but "nonbinary" is bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 36August 20, 2023 4:41 PM

[quote]What "science" does trans have a basis in?

Psychiatry.

by Anonymousreply 37August 20, 2023 5:12 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!