Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

People freak out when they think they've been cut in line

I was in line at a deli tonight; a worker calls me from the line and asks what I want. Some guy who was at the counter who hadn't been called on yet (but didn't stay in line; he just walked up to the counter) calls me an asshole for cutting him.

Um, no, the deli worker called me...you know, you could say, hey, I haven't been waited on yet and I was here ahead of this guy.

But people seem to invested in just bitching they don't want to do that.

The irony is some guy DID cut in front of me, skipped the line all together; just walked up to the front. I didn't care. I wasn't going to pick a fight.

Everyone is so on edge. So unhappy. Makes me just want to stay home. All the time.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2023 5:49 AM

It symbolizes all the times in life they've been passed over for someone better, and the rage bubbles over.

by Anonymousreply 1May 23, 2023 4:23 AM

R1, that's what I thought and sadly, I make an easy target. I'm not tough. I guess I'm growing up because I can see that the guy had issues. He didn't seem really happy to be with his girlfriend either.

They walked up to the counter together and he let her order first; the workers didn't know he hadn't ordered.

He had the option of saying to me, "oh, I haven't ordered yet" and I would have said sure, go ahead but people only want to lash out. It's not going to get better anytime soon.

by Anonymousreply 2May 23, 2023 4:32 AM

Plus OP some people are just looking for an excuse to go off, not to sound like a MARY! but you never know when somebody could get violent. It's not worth it.

by Anonymousreply 3May 23, 2023 4:38 AM

R3, I know; it's happened to me 2x recently; BOTh times I've calmly tried to point out I wasn't cutting. and each time the guy would NOT LET IT GO.

by Anonymousreply 4May 23, 2023 4:49 AM

Two people aggressively and boldly cut in front of me at a bakery recently (yes, I'm fat). I felt myself getting angry because I had been waiting patiently for a while, but I just decided to let it go. The two women who cut were lowlifes and I could tell they'd go apeshit if I said anything, and it just wasn't worth it. When I was younger, like in my 20s or 30s I would not go down without a fight in situations like this. (I mean an argument, not a physical altercation.) But I've mellowed with age, and it's just not worth engaging with scumbags, in my opinion.

Both women were ugly as fuck and were wearing crap clothes that looked like they slept in them. They were picking up a princess cake for a teenager who is probably going to be pregnant in a year and have a miserable life and one of these old bats will end up raising the teen whore's brats so I decided to let them have this little moment in the midst of their drab lives.

by Anonymousreply 5May 23, 2023 5:50 AM

Recently I went for donuts & this man was standing outside the shop, off to the side. As I approached the door I saw a large note pasted on the door saying “Sorry for the inconvenience but we won’t be open until” such & such time. I asked him, are they open & he said yes. So I went inside & there was a guy at the counter so I waited behind him. The guy from outside runs in & said he was in line, & was told to wait outside (it’s a smallish store but not under Covid protocols any longer). I told him he’d looked like he was waiting for someone & I didn’t know he was in line.

So I switch places with him, wait outside for a sec, & think fuck this, it’s cold, I’m waiting inside. I ended up ordering right after him but got to pay first since his order was larger & took longer. I felt him seething that I finished before him.

Today at the grocery store I’m leaving the self checkout & pause to let a woman go in front of me as we’re exiting the store. Another guy literally hops in front of the two of us in an effort to race out first. I figure og well, no biggie, he must be in a rush.

As I’m driving away I see a car trying their damndest to pull out & make a left turn in front of me. I could’ve slammed my brakes to let them in but realize, oh, it’s the hopping/cutting guy, & didn’t slow down. The motherfucker HONKED at me because I rightfully took the right of way.

by Anonymousreply 6May 23, 2023 8:10 AM

Line jumping is a horrible sin.

Imagine no line, no food.

by Anonymousreply 7May 23, 2023 8:21 AM

You should have said to the deli guy, "I believe this guy was first", so to make the deli guy say, "I called you first because you're cuter"...

Hilarity will ensue 😂

by Anonymousreply 8May 23, 2023 9:23 AM

Solution: Amazon, Door Dash & drive-throughs

by Anonymousreply 9May 23, 2023 9:59 AM

Another solution: take a ticket.

by Anonymousreply 10May 23, 2023 10:05 AM

I hate when people cut in line. I try to say that a person was ahead of me if they call on me first.

by Anonymousreply 11May 23, 2023 10:10 AM

Humans are exhausting. I interact with them as little as possible.

by Anonymousreply 12May 23, 2023 10:22 AM

^ They're kind of smelly too 🤮

by Anonymousreply 13May 23, 2023 10:25 AM

[quote]Two people aggressively and boldly cut in front of me at a bakery recently (yes, I'm fat).

Let me guess: they were fatter.

by Anonymousreply 14May 23, 2023 10:29 AM

My husband hates it when I return from any errand empty handed because of an unruly line. Whether it’s CVS or the deli counter or the candy counter at the movies, if I see a disorganized, haphazard, unsystematic way of serving customers my anxiety kicks in and I make a quick exit.

by Anonymousreply 15May 23, 2023 10:40 AM

[quote] literally hops

R6 literally?

by Anonymousreply 16May 23, 2023 10:43 AM

People are insane and insanity and hostility are contagious.

Years ago, I was standing in line at a Chipotle. Someone was at the counter, I was behind that person, standing back about six feet behind him, and I was looking at the menu options.

All of a sudden, there was a sharp pressure pain on the left side of my back. Before I could even think, I whipped around and this young woman was standing there glaring at me with her finger still pointed. The fucking nutcase drove her finger into my spine and when I realized it, I came thisclose to reflexively smacking the shit out of her.

As soon as I turned around, she said, "I ASKED YOU if you are IN LINE."

I am very hard of hearing in my left ear, about 50% hearing loss. She must have asked me if I was in line and I didn't hear her because of the ambient noise. So her next course of action was to stab me in the fucking spine with her finger?

I pointed to the guy in front of me to clearly indicate that, yes, I was in line. And then I asked her if she rammed her finger into my back.

"I ASKED you and you IGNORED ME," she said.

I think I did almost slap her. I screamed at her to keep her hands to herself and everyone around looked at us, and I made a huge scene and explained that I was standing in line and she jammed her finger into my back. She looked around and explained that she asked me if I was in line and I IGNORED HER.

I put my face right up to her face and stared at her intensely for a few seconds to scare the shit out of her, which clearly worked, and then turned back around.

I realized while I was ordering that 1) this was all stupid; 2) I hate people; 3) this is the kind of minor incident that can erupt into violence when people are at their wits' end; and 4) I'd never go back to that place.

A big part of me still wishes I had slapped her. I don't think I have ever had another violent inclination in my entire adult life like that one.

by Anonymousreply 17May 23, 2023 11:06 AM

I am third generation Asian -American with a degree in English. During the pandemic, I went to the grocery store to but bananas and oatmeal. I stood behind this lady who had a full basket of groceries. She graciously told me that I should go in front of her in the self-checkout , which I did. Immediately, this man from the other self-checkout comes running over and said very angrily, loudly and slowly, " Hey buddy, in THIS country we wait our turn in line and don't cut in front of anybody else." The woman overheard it and told him that she told me to do it. He looked at me defiantly for a few seconds and walked away The good thing was that the person who was in back of him saw that the spot was going on and cut in front of his abandoned cart, because he wasn't there.

by Anonymousreply 18May 23, 2023 11:14 AM

I was about 5 spots back at the grocery when they opened another register. I tapped the older lady in front of me and pointed it out to her.

She walked in front of a middle aged woman who was speeding to get to the empty register and almost hit the other woman. She was clearly irritated, but didn't say anything. I ended up getting behind her.

She had gotten in front of her buggy without first emptying the baby tray so I emptied it for her. The grocery was giving away tea bags with purchases over $10. She saw I was buying tea bags and as she was swiping her card she offered me her free ones because she only got them because they were free.

Sometimes not Everyone is an asshole

by Anonymousreply 19May 23, 2023 11:28 AM

Excuuuuusssssseeeeee meeeee

by Anonymousreply 20May 23, 2023 11:33 AM

[quote]so I decided to let them have this little moment in the midst of their drab lives.

Well, aren't you the bigger person. Fattie.

by Anonymousreply 21May 23, 2023 11:48 AM

R16 yes, literally, because saying someone hopped in front of me can mean a lot of things: walking, rushing past, squeezing by, etc. I used “literally” because the man literally hopped.

by Anonymousreply 22May 24, 2023 7:21 AM

OP here. I came back to check on the thread and I am so sad to hear that there are more of these stories.

I was a supermarket yesterday and there were two lines, one each behind three self checkout registers; one old guy cut diagonally across to go to a register in the other line; he pushed a kid away who only had a few items.

I told the kid when he walked past me that the guy was an asshole; he said yeah but I can't say anything because I work here.

This shit is everywhere.

So sad.

by Anonymousreply 23May 25, 2023 5:49 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!