Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I'm over cupcakes

There. I said it.

They were having a moment in the US, but that moment is gone. I'm over them.

by Anonymousreply 43May 29, 2023 2:21 AM

Everyone is. That's why their bakeries are always full of cupcakes and devoid of people.

by Anonymousreply 1May 22, 2023 7:51 PM

No offense, OP, but your cupcakes are dry and tasteless. Nobody ever likes your cupcakes.

by Anonymousreply 2May 22, 2023 7:53 PM

Is this that fat bitch that has moved on to Bisquick?

by Anonymousreply 3May 22, 2023 7:55 PM

Brilliant zeitgeist update from 2005. Thanks OP. Any more pithy observations from your crypt?

by Anonymousreply 4May 22, 2023 8:02 PM

I was never UNDER cupcakes. Too much frosting, too expensive, and too sweet. The best thing that happened to cupcakes is the hack when you rip the frosted top off it, flip it over so the frosting is facing the ripped side, and eat that way so you can enjoy frosting with almost every bite like you do with a piece of layer cake.

Or, just have some regular layer cake.

by Anonymousreply 5May 22, 2023 8:03 PM

Fat whore OP putting her fat foot down and stating her fat whore boundaries.

by Anonymousreply 6May 22, 2023 8:08 PM

I like cupcakes but I make them myself.

by Anonymousreply 7May 22, 2023 8:11 PM

NYC has Magnolia cupcakes which are so sweet you get a headache just looking at them. They also taste terrible 5 minutes after you take them from the store--you have to eat them immediately to enjoy them.

We used to have Crumbs, with huge cupcakes, but that went out of business early as the cupcake craze ended.

In Soho, Georgetown Cupcakes had some of the most delicious cupcakes I've ever tasted (I assume the store's originally from the DC area), but the pandemic killed that store and it is no more.

by Anonymousreply 8May 22, 2023 8:11 PM

Fat Whore Threads™ like this always get 300+ responses.

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2023 8:13 PM

Aren't cupcakes just cakes in a smaller shape?

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2023 8:16 PM

Cinnamon rolls are the new cupcakes

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2023 8:17 PM

Ok Cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2023 8:17 PM

The rest of us were done with cupcakes over 10 yrs ago. You're late to the party and you started a stupid thread.

by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2023 8:18 PM

OP, what's your stance on sliders and molecular gastronomy?

Thaddeus - here to take a stand on avocado toast.

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2023 8:20 PM

Related but not: I like muffins. I am a Californian, veganish (I don't question the fats/oils in breads etc.), organic etc etc. And I am pretty seduced and regularly get fooled by "muffins" that are really cupcakes. Starbucks is a case in point and I regularly lie to myself and ..."oh, and give me a blueberry muffin" and then eat it and think, "this is just cake..."

So, it's more than just "bran", but to me muffins should be muffins and not cupcakes.

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2023 8:22 PM

[quote] NYC has Magnolia cupcakes

Magnolia had the worst cupcakes ever.

Take it from this fat whore who has scarfed down several Krispy Kremes in one sitting: Magnolia frosting is obnoxiously, tooth aching sweet. But the cake part is dry, like eating sand.

The original store on Bleecker Street used to be a pet store. Every so often when I walk by and see a line around the block, I want to yell, “I hope they cleaned all the bird out of that place before they opened.”

The only reason they are popular is because they were mentioned on an episode of Sex & the City TWENTY YEARS AGO. Fuck Sex & the City for perpetuating those nasty cupcakes.

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2023 8:47 PM

Do I smell c̶o̶o̶k̶ cupcakes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2023 9:00 PM

Cupcakes are overrated and usually covered with sickening frosting. Like R15, I’d rather have a muffin.

I was over red velvet cake right after eating my first slice. Hyped like it was some flavorful thing when it’s just sugar and food coloring. I couldn’t taste the cocoa.

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2023 9:03 PM

We don't care and you type morbidly obese.

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2023 9:04 PM

Cupcakes these days have towering piles of sickly sweet icing. More icing than cake. My mother made them when I was a kid and they were moist with a small dollop of buttercream spread on top.

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2023 9:11 PM

🍒 I 💕 Cherry Pie with Vanilla Ice Cream.

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2023 9:17 PM

Geez, 2013 called and wants its sentiment back. Almost all of the cupcake places here in SF were long gone before Covid had the chance to do them in.

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2023 9:20 PM

I'd rather eat a Ho Ho. I do that once every few years.

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2023 9:23 PM

Show us on this Chrissy Metz doll where the bad cupcakes hurt you OP.

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2023 10:02 PM

Cupcakes are frau food. I blame 2 Broke Fraus for the stupid fad.

by Anonymousreply 25May 24, 2023 5:10 AM

More shitposting from pathetically desperate Defacto.

by Anonymousreply 26May 24, 2023 5:32 AM

[quote] The best thing that happened to cupcakes is the hack when you rip the frosted top off it, flip it over so the frosting is facing the ripped side, and eat that way so you can enjoy frosting with almost every bite like you do with a piece of layer cake.

What?

by Anonymousreply 27May 24, 2023 5:38 AM

Me too,OP. I'm back to Chocolate Eclairs, which always been my favorite dessert food. I don't know why I strayed.

by Anonymousreply 28May 24, 2023 10:26 AM

"Two Broke Fraus" was LATE in the zeitgeist. Cupcakes are not their fault.

by Anonymousreply 29May 24, 2023 10:50 AM

I’ll stick with donuts.

by Anonymousreply 30May 24, 2023 10:51 AM

Overall I'd rather have baklava

by Anonymousreply 31May 24, 2023 11:13 AM

Too labour intensive for frauen.

by Anonymousreply 32May 28, 2023 1:33 PM

Buck never would have had a cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 33May 28, 2023 1:50 PM

R27 he's saying rip off the top, then turn it upside down and mash it back down onto the rest of the cupcake.

by Anonymousreply 34May 28, 2023 1:58 PM

So glad you're moving on, OP, and felt the need to tell us about it.

May we suggest....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 28, 2023 2:03 PM

How do you feel about chocolate croissants, OP?

by Anonymousreply 36May 28, 2023 2:12 PM

R11 Cinnamon rolls ? Really ? We've time travelled back to 1985 ?

I remember when cookies were the big thing in the late 70s and early 80s - store fronts opening with 'home baked cookies' you can smell all over the streets.

Then croissants were the big thing in the early - mid 80s. All these French-themed cafes and bakeries started popping up making croissants and other French pastries for morning coffee (there was one known distributor from VT, who got their products from a Canadian bakery, which was supplying most of these places). Then Burger King, Dunkin Donuts and Supermarkets started selling their idea of an Americanized croissant - and the French cafes closed down.

In 1985 came the flood of 'cinnamon buns' - with TJ Cinnamons and Mrs Powells opening everywhere (franchised).. That lasted a couple of years.

After that was the explosion of rotisserie chicken with Boston Market, Roger Clemmons and Kenny Rogers taking over the country by storm. Once the big markets started offering a whole rotisserie chicken for $1.99, that killed the chicken franchises in the mid 90s.

And then it was the cupcake wars by the late 90s - I remember Rosie O'Donnell pushing Magnolia Bakery on her talk show (1996-2002). A restaurant in my area was doing jumbo cupcakes back then for $5 (feeds two). They still do them (though they've dropped in popularity) and now they sell for $15 each.

Now it seems like the focus is back on the cookie storefronts - nearly a dozen have popped up in my area (including the debut of Crumbl which everyone seems to hate).

by Anonymousreply 37May 28, 2023 2:56 PM

For god’s sake, r37–peel your rats!

by Anonymousreply 38May 28, 2023 5:47 PM

^r35, I mean.

by Anonymousreply 39May 28, 2023 5:47 PM

I love cupcakes, any flavor, frosted with an inch of buttercreme.

by Anonymousreply 40May 29, 2023 1:53 AM

According to my nutritionist, all you need to do is stuff one in a blender with just a pint of buttercream frosting and then hit "purée," and... voilà! You've made a delicious and healthy breakfast shake!

by Anonymousreply 41May 29, 2023 1:59 AM

R31, I make my own baklava and I omit the final syrup soak. I love the buttery filo with layers of nuts but the syrup makes it nasty.

Dry Baklava.

by Anonymousreply 42May 29, 2023 2:12 AM

Why settle for a cupcake when a cake is sitting right next to it.

by Anonymousreply 43May 29, 2023 2:21 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!