Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Chile Rellenos: I just tried making them at home, and they

SUCK. They are not good. I found a recipe on-line and it looked easy. I spent a fortune on the ingredients. The peppers themselves are bland. They do not taste like the ones in the restaurants. I did roast them over my gas stove and peeled them. What went wrong?

Also, my egg whites were not as stiff as they should have been. What a mess. It took me hours. I do not even want to eat them. They are in the refrig. I have a headache and lost my appetite.

I just stuff them will some jack cheese. That part went fine.

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2023 11:29 AM

They are a difficult dish to make. I’ve never really gotten them to turn out well. And yes, they are time consuming.

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2023 9:52 PM

I just has another bite to see. They do not taste like anything. Very bland. I do not get it. I wonder what the Mexican restaurant do?

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2023 10:53 PM

Share the recipe for analysis.

by Anonymousreply 3May 21, 2023 11:45 PM

Maybe the places you have eaten them use Goya seasoning with delicious MSG flavor enhancement.

by Anonymousreply 4May 21, 2023 11:45 PM

You must be in a good mood if your not happy when cooking them they will come out bad. Same with Tamales. I was told this by a Mexican granny.

by Anonymousreply 5May 21, 2023 11:49 PM

Where did you buy the Peppers, OP? Perhaps they're GMO, and therefore tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 6May 21, 2023 11:52 PM

What kind of peppers did you use? They need to be a moderately hot variety like jalapeno. The grocery near me has mislabeled Anaheim peppers as jalapenos because they are they same shape, but they have no heat and are used for frying like bell peppers.

by Anonymousreply 7May 21, 2023 11:55 PM

i used poblano peppers.

by Anonymousreply 8May 21, 2023 11:57 PM

Poblanos should be fine, r8. They are time-consuming to make. Try something easier like...tamales.

by Anonymousreply 9May 22, 2023 12:05 AM

I going to make baked Alaska next. What can go wrong?

by Anonymousreply 10May 22, 2023 12:07 AM

You don’t use jalapeño or Anaheim for Chile rellenos! Poblanos are the chiles of the original dish. They are large and are medium in heat. Also, use organic eggs and whip them until they become fluffy. It has to have the consistency of whip. Use Oaxaca or Panela cheese with some beans. I usually add a sauce to pour over the finished product.

by Anonymousreply 11May 22, 2023 12:08 AM

rachel cooks with love on yt. For the filling, I use used jack cheese. My god, if I added one more thing to do, I would be dead.

I looked at other recipes and really they are all basically the same for: prepping the poblano peppers, coating them and frying them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 22, 2023 12:11 AM

It's not really that hard.

Let Doña Angela show you how it's done.

Note that she uses three different types of chiles: poblanos, for those who don't like things too spicy, pasillas, which have a bit more kick to them, and manzanos, which are the spiciest of the three.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 22, 2023 12:12 AM

[r11] what do you do for to your poblanos pepper? My lack flavor. I mean, they are tasteless.

by Anonymousreply 14May 22, 2023 12:13 AM

If your flood is bland that means you didn't use enough salt when cooking. When you coat the peppers be sure to generous with salt.

Most home cooks always under season their food compared to professional chefs.

by Anonymousreply 15May 22, 2023 12:15 AM

It always makes for a good, if usually short, thread when people attempt peasant food and fail at it.

As Miss Helpful says, "Add salt if it needs salt! The real pros use TONS of salt!" and the OP can't quite get the point of written communication and the need for proofing what she types.

by Anonymousreply 16May 22, 2023 12:20 AM

One thing home cooks often get wrong is the salt. Don't be shy with the salt if you want to get close to restaurant flavour.

by Anonymousreply 17May 22, 2023 12:21 AM

R16 LOL. I posted before seeing your post.

by Anonymousreply 18May 22, 2023 12:23 AM

Jack cheese is not authentic for chiles rellenos. That's some Casa Bonita shit.

R11 got it right. Panela or Oaxaca. I've also seen mozzarella used in Mexico.

But Jack cheese? Just...no.

by Anonymousreply 19May 22, 2023 12:28 AM

Well, I'll make another salsa with a jalapeno for more flavor tomorrow. I will prepare some black beans with SALT, to serve with them.

It is really the pepper flavor. It's not like the chile rellenos one usually gets at a Mexican Restaurant. It looks the same though. Very weird.

by Anonymousreply 20May 22, 2023 12:33 AM

Well, it might just be *those* peppers. Jalapenos can certainly differ in heat.

by Anonymousreply 21May 22, 2023 12:37 AM

We usually add a few pieces of sliced onion amongst the cheese. We use Monterrey Jack, it’s delicious.

Plus we sprinkle some salt in while stuffing the poblano peppers. The poblanos aren’t usually so bland, sometimes they are spicy but not always.

I like to take all the seeds away before I stuff them.

The egg whites have to be just right, not too stiff and not too soggy.

Some people do make a tomato sauce to pour over the chiles. It is tomato sauce plus some mined onion and sugar, believe it or not.

Chiles rellenos are my absolute favorite dish from the old country.

Anaheim peppers should never be used for the dish, though, sometimes that’s all that is available.

by Anonymousreply 22May 22, 2023 12:39 AM

I grill my chilles using wood to give them a smoky flavor. Sprinkle Kosher/sea salt as I grill them. You don’t need to eat the Chile, many people don’t. It’s just there to infuse the filling and egg coating with flavor. Mozzarella Is definitely a good choice if you don’t have Oaxaca. Here is a hack, Mozzarella is a good cheese that pairs well with Mexican food. You don’t have to go out of your way to find the more chewy Oaxaca.

by Anonymousreply 23May 22, 2023 12:40 AM

I order chile rellenos at Mexican Restaurants. This is my first time making them. They do not have the usual flavor.

by Anonymousreply 24May 22, 2023 12:45 AM

I finally nailed chiles rellenos on my fifth or sixth attempt. Here are the things I learned along the way:

1. Beat the hell out of the egg whites and baking powder – to stiff peaks and beyond.

2. Use queso asadero. Panelo and Oaxacan are okay, but asadero is perfect.

3. Fry in a fat that is solid at room temperature, like vegetable shortening. For best results, fry in lard. Do not use oil! Authentic Mexican restaurants fry chiles rellenos in lard. The flavor is unmistakable.

4. As others have noted, salt salt salt. You cannot count on Mexican hard cheeses to be salty enough.

by Anonymousreply 25May 22, 2023 12:46 AM

What flavor is that, R24?

Maybe it is the lard that they deep fry them in.

by Anonymousreply 26May 22, 2023 12:47 AM

If you are a gringo who can’t do sauces, here is simple sauce that is actually good for Chilles Rellenos. In a small sauce pad add Mexican crema, tomatoe puré, and (here comes the cheap part) 1/4 of El Pato red sauce (the small yellow can). Heat it in low heat for a few minutes and then pour it over the chille. It’s delicious.

Try it.

by Anonymousreply 27May 22, 2023 12:47 AM

Yes! Queso Asadero gives it a cheesy flavor, however Asadero is a mixture of cow and goat milk. Many people don’t like goat milk even though the mixture provides a flavorful cheese. Mexico has a toon of good cheeses.

by Anonymousreply 28May 22, 2023 12:52 AM

OP r11 r24 - CHILES rellenos. CHILE is singular; RELLENOS (means filled or stuffed) is plural.

Don't get me started on "tamale," a word that doesn't exist in Spanish.

by Anonymousreply 29May 22, 2023 2:20 AM

Op here,

Well, I decided to pull an authentic mexican dona and try to fix these already prepared chile rellenos.

I put them over an open flame in a BBQ pan with foil. I also fire roasted a jalapeno pepper and diced into my homemade pico de gallo salsa. It turns out the the fire roasting (again) of the chile rellenos did help with the flavor. The poblano peppers turned more fruity, which makes them more flavorful but still mild and bland

. I think most places use Anaheim peppers, so I will use them next time. It is the flame roasted heat flavor that I enjoy and the Anaheim pepper does this. The fire roasted jalapenos diced into the pico de gallo was nice too. I think I might fire roasted the tomatoes too. Also, the receipe I used called for yellow onions. I prefer red onions, which was in my pico de gallo.

So I pulled a dona and I was able to fix them.

by Anonymousreply 30May 22, 2023 4:02 PM

What did you fill them with?

by Anonymousreply 31May 22, 2023 4:08 PM

Call 02116

by Anonymousreply 32May 22, 2023 4:09 PM

Thanks for the tip about whipping egg white with baking powder. Yeah, my mixture needed to be thicker and stabilized. The truth is the batter was a little too thin, but still was yummy.

The trick about chile rellenos is you have to broil them or open flame them again. This way the cheese is browned and the salsa and peppers develop more flavor. For me, Anaheim pepper with some heat would be better. Also, I do need that jalapeno flavor.

I am happy now. Just two more ingredients to get and I have a new meal in my rotation. Due to the work, maybe just once a month.

by Anonymousreply 33May 22, 2023 4:11 PM

I just used jack cheese that I diced up small. This part is fine. Next time, I will put the chile rellenos with the salsa roja under the broil for some time, then add cheese to get bubbly browned. Recipe state that you eat them right after you fry with the egg batter. But I would put them in a oven safe dish the follow day and heat them under the broil. Then, top with more cheese and broil until it gets all browned and bubbly.

What I did, this morning, is put them into a open flame because I have a fire pit and equipment to do it. Then, I heated this all up in the mircowave. I have another pepper with the Mexican sides for lunch. I made black beans, pico de gallo salsa and guacamole to serve with them.

It a lot of work though, cannot do if short on time.

by Anonymousreply 34May 22, 2023 4:20 PM

[quote] Where did you buy the Peppers, OP? Perhaps they're GMO, and therefore tasteless.

There is no such thing as a GMO pepper, at least not in the US. There are only 11 types of GMO crops sold in the US, and none of them are peppers.

BTW, I just had some GMO pink pineapple yesterday, and it was delicious! Better than most non-GMO pineapple I buy.

by Anonymousreply 35May 22, 2023 9:41 PM

The oldest chile relleno recipes, from Puebla, used an Oaxaca-style cheese.

by Anonymousreply 36May 22, 2023 10:30 PM

Cooking sucks

by Anonymousreply 37May 22, 2023 10:31 PM

Maybe you just can't cook, OP.

Stick to Old El Paso Taco Kits.

by Anonymousreply 38May 22, 2023 10:34 PM

¡Sí, Ortega!

by Anonymousreply 39May 23, 2023 12:56 AM

Did you make the red sauce they pour on top?

by Anonymousreply 40May 24, 2023 5:31 AM

My ex-BF and his family were Mexican. I watched his sister make chiles rellenos and, IIRC, she used Anaheim chiles.

I like Monterey Jack cheese. Maybe not authentic, but it sounds good to me.

by Anonymousreply 41May 24, 2023 5:44 AM

My Sister in Law, whom I loved dearly, would make these and they were..lol, pretty bad. She made great cabbage rolls though.

by Anonymousreply 42May 24, 2023 10:28 AM

Thank you, R32, you’re right.

The OP should definitely have called 02116 and I would have shared “Greg’s Recipe for Muy Delicioso Chiles Rellenos.”

They are the best.

by Anonymousreply 43May 24, 2023 11:29 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!