Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Need help selecting a sofa

I have been researching apartment-sized sofas online for a few months now. I have done so much research learning about sofa construction, reading reviews, etc., that I could probably work in a furniture store at this point. In my area, I only have access to stores like Rooms to Go and Ashley (crap). I don't want to buy Room and Board (or something similar) because I don't want to spend more than around $3500. West Elm reviews are awful, even though I like the style of many of their sofas. Pottery Barn sofas and some of Crate and Barrel look bulky.

At this point, I have narrowed it down to Apt2B and Dreamsofa. Do any of you own furniture from these retailers and, if so, can you provide a brief review. TIA.

by Anonymousreply 65February 8, 2024 3:10 PM

I hope you find some real life friends soon, OP, you tragic cunt.

by Anonymousreply 1May 21, 2023 10:37 AM

Ethan Allen

by Anonymousreply 2May 21, 2023 10:40 AM

what about sofas from Article?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 25, 2023 11:53 PM

You may find this thread of interest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 25, 2023 11:55 PM

OP, what sofa style do you prefer?

by Anonymousreply 5May 25, 2023 11:56 PM

Hopefully you’ve learned in your research that you may have to wait 6 weeks for your couch to ship from many places. It’s nuts.

by Anonymousreply 6May 26, 2023 12:14 AM

what did you end up buying OP?

by Anonymousreply 7October 19, 2023 1:18 AM

[quote] you may have to wait 6 weeks for your couch to ship from many places. It’s nuts.

How tf is that nuts R6? You think furniture companies should just keep every single sofa model they offer in stock in a warehouse in every available fabric that they offer just so it’s available on the day? In an expensive, dusty warehouse where it can easily sustain damage so it would be unsaleable?

Think about the reality of these things. And 6 weeks is quick.

by Anonymousreply 8October 19, 2023 1:26 AM

Go antiquing and buy a French empire sofa and then buy some good pillows. The end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9October 19, 2023 1:28 AM

Ashley is junk. Total, complete junk.

by Anonymousreply 10October 19, 2023 1:38 AM

Try Macy’s. They have a lot pieces in various price ranges.

by Anonymousreply 11October 19, 2023 1:39 AM

I would go thrifting or look for used stuff online. I think a good recliner is far more important than a sofa.

by Anonymousreply 12October 19, 2023 1:59 AM

Macy’s is having a furniture sale right now, R11 is right.

by Anonymousreply 13October 19, 2023 2:05 AM

I'm an interior designer, take it from me, vintage/secondhand is the way to go. You're not slumming it-- it's the only way you're going to find something of quality and style and not break the bank (or wait 8-10 weeks). Wherever you live, there's a thrifting warehouse or "good" Goodwill in reasonable driving distance. Or check out aptdeco.com if you're in one of the areas it services. You're just as likely to find something traditionally tasteful as you are something "unique" (if that's your thing). There's nothing on the market right now that matches the quality of these older pieces that doesn't cost, literally, thousands upon thousands of dollars.

by Anonymousreply 14October 19, 2023 2:01 PM

Years ago I bought a Sears sofa from the Salvation Army for $20. I reupholstered it and it was beautiful but then I wanted something new so I got rid of it. Never should have done that. I went thru a few sofas and now have a 1900 sofa that had to be put back together and reupholstered. I will have this one until I die.

by Anonymousreply 15October 19, 2023 2:09 PM

You need to find some friends and get out more, OP. Your new friends can sit on the new sofa if/when you have them over to your place.

Good luck with that..

by Anonymousreply 16October 19, 2023 2:29 PM

thanks R14, i will check out the site. I'm not OP but I'm also looking for a sofa and daybed. I recently moved and taking a long time to decorate.

by Anonymousreply 17October 19, 2023 6:29 PM

I agree with the advice about thrift furniture. Newer things are often shoddily made.

by Anonymousreply 18October 19, 2023 7:04 PM

R17 Happy to help! After I wrote my comment, I checked out AptDeco for the first time in a while. They used to only service the NYC Metropolitan area and I think Chicago, but they seem to have expanded to the entire US.

Kaiyo, Chairish, and 1stDibs are good sources too, but AptDeco has the best prices. Their sellers are usually average people who want to get rid of their furniture ASAP, rather than legit dealers looking to make a profit.

by Anonymousreply 19October 20, 2023 4:01 PM

R14, this sounds good, but I’m too leery of bedbugs.

by Anonymousreply 20October 20, 2023 4:08 PM

Pottery Barn is complete garbage. Utter crap. Their couches used to be made by Mitchell and Gold and were decent—if not exceptional—quality. That has changed. Now they are comprised of press board and cotton balls, probably manufactured by enslaved 5 year olds in some foreign country.

by Anonymousreply 21October 20, 2023 4:11 PM

OP, I too was recently in your shoes, and thankfully I found the Insider's Guide to Furniture, run by a very knowledgable person.

Reading his best of 2023 convinced me to take a chance on Dreamsofa, but following his advice to pay extra for the higher-end seat cushioning. Dreamsofa also had more styles I liked than any other online retailer, and a great selection of water-washable fabrics. I placed my order about two weeks ago; we'll see how it goes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22October 20, 2023 4:27 PM

Have you checked out CB2, OP? It's literally the apartment-sized version of Crate and Barrel. I know they may not have a store near you, but I'm pretty sure they ship.

Room and Board is good quality but yes, likely too large for your space. And West Elm/Pottery Barn has had many fulfillment issues over the last several years, which will likely be exacerbated by the closure of M Gold/B Williams (as mentioned above).

We just bought a larger couch at Crate and Barrel, and it was one of the few we liked that was like our previous couch - so many couches now have both seating platforms and backs with overstuffed pillows, which is much cheaper than more solid seating material.

by Anonymousreply 23October 20, 2023 4:35 PM

Very interesting Sylvia @ R22.

Interesting to see that so many "independent" sellers like Joybird are actually owned by big conglomerates.

by Anonymousreply 24October 20, 2023 4:39 PM

i'm waiting on black friday sales. doing my research now!

by Anonymousreply 25October 22, 2023 2:33 AM

R14, not to rain on your parade, but used furniture (especially upholstered) is a huge source of bed bug infestations. Anyone buying used furniture should hire a professional exterminator--preferably one who uses trained sniffing dogs-- to examine every inch of the piece under consideration.

by Anonymousreply 26October 22, 2023 3:08 AM

Sometimes you can buy good sofas from tasteful friends who are moving.

I saw a cute leatherette set in a Starbucks once that closed when I turned my back. How I wish I could have nabbed those!

by Anonymousreply 27October 22, 2023 3:48 AM

I'm trying to find a sectional that will stand up to two medium sized dogs, so I need cushion covers that can be removed and easily washed.

I've considered Inside Weather's Bondi sectionals or Lovesac "sactionals", but I fear they're both pieces of overpriced crap, but their advertising is seductive.

by Anonymousreply 28November 5, 2023 2:26 AM

End of year sales are happening now

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29November 5, 2023 2:33 AM

My new sofa from Dreamsofa will be arriving mid-month. So far the customer service has been good.

R28 I was considering Lovesac for the same reason, but read one too many user reviews about how the covers are truly a PITA to remove and replace.

by Anonymousreply 30November 5, 2023 10:13 AM

Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31November 5, 2023 10:26 AM

Agree with the post above about Pottery Barn - overpriced crap. Vintage is a good idea, but a lot of old school couches just aren't very comfortable, though I guess it also depends on what you want - something more formal or something to flop on at the end of the day. I'd check out Ethan Allan. You may have to wait possibly months for a shipment, but it's better quality (mid-range) furniture.

by Anonymousreply 32November 5, 2023 10:55 AM

Buy second hand and reupholster. You'll be happier in the long run. Good luck!

by Anonymousreply 33November 5, 2023 4:51 PM

So will the bugs!—happy bloodsuckers

by Anonymousreply 34November 5, 2023 4:59 PM

There's more germs and bugs and jizz on the stuff in the store. Upholstery strips to the frame and paints and whatever else you want to it. I never even sit down on store furniture. Children's saliva, farts etc.

by Anonymousreply 35November 5, 2023 5:15 PM

Lovesac has really missed out on a B52s crossover jingle.

by Anonymousreply 36November 5, 2023 5:58 PM

My Dreamsofa sofa was delivered yesterday. I love it! Construction seems very solid, the "Plush" level hybrid foam/coil cushion level is exactly the right firmness (I'm not a person who wants to sink into my sofa like it's a giant marshmallow, but neither do I want to sit on a rock), and the Bella faux-velvet fabric I chose is lusciously soft. The next test will be when a cat decides to try to scratch it.

by Anonymousreply 37November 16, 2023 12:29 PM

I like my Burrow loveseat. I like the concept of being able to expand the piece if necessary.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38November 16, 2023 12:45 PM

$3500 is a lot of money for me. You're very fortunate. I can only dream of being able to afford a sofa at that price.

by Anonymousreply 39November 16, 2023 2:08 PM

I have a Bradington Young sofa and it’s bullet proof, it will last years with daily abuse.

by Anonymousreply 40November 16, 2023 2:53 PM

i will never buy anything from wayfair. my new neighbor bought a bed from there and the fucking bed broke in 3 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 41November 16, 2023 2:57 PM

NOT Article. The Sven feels like sitting on a pile of hard denim jeans folded on a sagging lawn chair. Nothing you cannot sit on and try before buying. If I were shopping now, I'd focus on getting to know what's available locally in the antiques markets. If there were a Costco "show" anywhere within a couple hundred miles there's a leather sofa I've had my eye on, but if I cannot try I'm not interested.

by Anonymousreply 42November 16, 2023 3:15 PM

[quote]i will never buy anything from wayfair. my new neighbor bought a bed from there and the fucking bed broke in 3 weeks.

Whereas my parents bought a bed from Wayfair for $100 and it's solid as a rock. I thought they were crazy but I put it together for them and was very impressed. It's not a great looker but it's in a spare bedroom for the grandkids to use. I wouldn't buy anything from Wayfair but this was a quality product.

by Anonymousreply 43November 16, 2023 3:18 PM

[quote] I never even sit down on store furniture. Children's saliva, farts etc.

Mary. What about the furniture in your dentist's waiting area.

by Anonymousreply 44November 16, 2023 3:18 PM

R1 If you had some real life friends then you wouldn’t be spending your time trolling on here, you dense fucking hypocritical cunt.

by Anonymousreply 45November 16, 2023 3:25 PM

R1 is pathetic. I'm sure her life is overflowing with besties.

by Anonymousreply 46November 16, 2023 3:37 PM

Try looking at estate sales - you can pick up some high-quality sofas for not much if you hit a good one.

by Anonymousreply 47November 16, 2023 3:38 PM

Adjustable!

The three options available include a higher position, ideal for chatting with guests or family members, an intermediate one suitable for reading, for example, and finally, a deeper one for abandoning yourself to total comfort.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48November 16, 2023 9:28 PM

If I were on the market for a sofa now, the Ekornes Stressless sofas are ones I would try out.

by Anonymousreply 49November 16, 2023 10:35 PM

You certainly need help

by Anonymousreply 50November 17, 2023 12:59 AM

Ask Sally Jessy Raphael

by Anonymousreply 51November 17, 2023 12:59 AM

OP Ethan Allen is very good quality. Arhaus is good quality, and you might find something on Horchow, Perigold or Wayfair. I would also suggest you check consignment stores and estate sales. YOu can often find a gem.

by Anonymousreply 52November 17, 2023 1:02 AM

Ekornes Stressless sofas look really nice R49. They also look very pricey.

by Anonymousreply 53November 17, 2023 1:03 AM

what did you end up buying OP?

by Anonymousreply 54January 28, 2024 7:48 PM

I recently moved and need a new couch.

by Anonymousreply 55January 28, 2024 7:49 PM

Remember, if you go for an approach like r47 mentions (good idea!), you can (and probably should) take the piece to a reupholsterer's who would not only provide new upholstery to your liking but would also correct damage and strengthen the piece's frame.

I wouldn't be surprised to find that reupholsterers also sell furniture--that of customers who didn't pay.

by Anonymousreply 56January 28, 2024 8:26 PM

I’ve always like Apt2B

by Anonymousreply 57January 28, 2024 8:57 PM

People love to slam Wayfair here but I bought a chesterfield from them recently for $1,300 all in and it's solid as fuck. I rely on reviews more than anything these days.

by Anonymousreply 58January 29, 2024 12:08 AM

my neighbor bought a bed from wayfair and it broke after a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 59January 29, 2024 9:24 PM

eBay. I bought my vintage dining room chairs on eBay and I am very happy with them.

by Anonymousreply 60January 29, 2024 10:15 PM

A couple lessons I learned buying a sofa a few years ago:

Furniture retailers often have sales of some sort--special orders, particular types of furniture, etc. Watch these over time if you can to get the best deal possible.

Mid-range furniture is often much lower in quality than pieces that are the next step up. I spent $5K on a sofa that was much better than the $3-3.5K sofas I saw. If you live away from a major city--do a weekend trip and shop around if you can. I bought from Mitchell Gold/Bob Williams which no longer exists (thank you private equity). Room and Board isn't quite as good but should fine. Also Aarhus.

by Anonymousreply 61January 29, 2024 10:24 PM

[quote] "I would go thrifting or look for used stuff online. I think a good recliner is far more important than a sofa."

To each their own, but I guess I'm a weird one. I will buy shirts, pants, and jackets in thrift stores, but used soft furnishings skeeve me out. I'm just that paranoid about pest infestation. I'm sure there are plenty of nice used pieces out there. But I won't be purchasing them.

by Anonymousreply 62January 29, 2024 10:46 PM

I'm considering the All Modern Lonsdale sectional in the included link for the living room (with very low ceilings) in my small beach cottage.

I'm hoping it's a good compromise between fast furniture and something too expensive; both of which I feel my dogs will eventually tear apart.

Thankfully, there's an All Modern showroom within driving distance and the turnaround time for delivery is a couple of weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63February 8, 2024 2:54 PM

Two posters on this thread whose neighbors bought a bed from away fair and it broke within a few weeks r41 r59 ?!

by Anonymousreply 64February 8, 2024 3:08 PM

^^^ Wayfair

Okay, typo deserved for the snark, message received, no furniture shopping at Wayfair.

by Anonymousreply 65February 8, 2024 3:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!