Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nicholas Nickleby (2002)

Let's discuss the British-American filmed Nicholas Nickleby. The audience follows Nicholas throughout his life: from moving in with his cold hearted rich uncle, to being enslaved at a boys prep school to joining a troupe of actors.

Directed by Douglas McGrath

Based on the classic by Charles Dickens

Music by Felix Mendelssohn, arranged by Rachel Portman

Starring Charlie Hunnam as Nicholas, with an all-star supporting cast that consists of Jim Broadbent, Tom Courteney, Nathan Lane, Edward Fox, Dame Edna Everage, Juliet Stevenson, Timothy Spall, Jamie Bell, Anne Hathaway, Alan Cumming, David Bradley, Sophie Thompson, and CHRISTOPHER PLUMMER as Uncle Ralph

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2023 2:47 AM

One of my favorite books and movies!

Nicholas Nickleby is forgotten about, but truly is Dickens best adventure.

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2023 10:58 PM

Christopher Plummer is the best Uncle Ralph.

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2023 10:59 PM

Eric Porter was the host in this box set of television versions which includes The Pickwick Papers, Oliver Twist, Nicholas Nickleby, A Christmas Carol and Great Expectations. Porter himself plays Fagin in Oliver Twist.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2023 11:03 PM

OT but it's fookin tragic that Hunnam lost his North-East accent.

Of all the regional dialects of Britain, Geordie & Mackem are two of the more melodious and sexy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2023 11:13 PM

R4 what?

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2023 11:20 PM

R5 Charlie Hunnam comes from Newcastle, where the locals have Geordie accents.

He used to sound like this, until he moved into mainstream American film & TV, when he lost his broad charming native accent, and started to sound strange in a transatlantic way.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2023 11:38 PM

R6 I thought only American actors wanted the mid-Atlantic accent

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2023 11:41 PM

No one else has seen this movie?!

by Anonymousreply 8May 21, 2023 1:12 AM

Great Cast!

by Anonymousreply 9May 27, 2023 3:58 AM

bump

by Anonymousreply 10August 7, 2023 1:46 AM

Excellent film and cast, with two actors I will watch in anything: Timothy Spall and Jamie Bell. The editing of the plot makes hard decisions, but how could it not, yet it's not bad at conveying something of the scope of the thing.

by Anonymousreply 11August 7, 2023 1:53 AM

R11 Can you elaborate on the editing? I am half-way through the book. The book is huge and goes on and on.

by Anonymousreply 12August 7, 2023 2:16 AM

R12: I only meant that the wonderful thing about reading Dickens is the plot is huge and, as you say, goes on and on in many directions, and the bad thing of any Dickens story adapted as a film is that it doesn't. It can't. It either tries to present the full plot at breakneck speed or attempts something of the richness by selectively concentrating on a few scenes and aspects of plot. This film does the latter, but reasonably well I thought.

Thackeray is harder to adapt to film it seems. " Vanity Fair" is an amazing book for its rich scope and detail, but no one has made a film version that touches on the quality of the book. And "The Newcomes"...has anyone every bothered to try? (The extraordinary exception is Kubrick's "Barry Lyndon.")

by Anonymousreply 13August 7, 2023 2:34 AM

R13 Yeah, I agree. The BBC mini-series of Dickens are great adaptations, but they can be a little boring.

Barry Lyndon is an excellent film. I think Michael Hordern's narration really helps.

by Anonymousreply 14August 7, 2023 2:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!