Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

I've Discovered Bisquick; Will I Become a Fat Whore?

We never had biscuits of any kind growing up. I never ate them until McStanky's sold them (mine are lumpy, not round). Now I've discovered I can make them in 15 minutes with Bisquick and powered buttermilk and I just can't stop. Chive biscuits, cheddar biscuits, blueberry biscuits, chorizo cheddar biscuits (I ate them all in two hours). Deprived of them as a child, I make them everyday. I think it's a problem.

by Anonymousreply 57May 21, 2023 9:23 PM

Already a fat whore, like OP, can only be fatter. Learn your comparative and superlative now, fat ho OP.

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2023 3:47 PM

Even worse, you’ve become a fat frau whore

by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2023 3:49 PM

I've discovered making flat bread. Cheap, easy and pretty good. Wish I had discovered this at the start of the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2023 3:51 PM

Of course it's a problem! My mother had Bisquick in the house all my life throughout childhood. She swore by it. So I have it in my house. And I use it for pancakes and waffles. I make biscuits too, but here, let me make things worse for you" Scones: I use basically the same recipe asfor biscuits, but add a bit more butter, some sugar and vanilla, then orange zest and dried cranberries, or lemon zest and blueberries, or just plain scones and I LOVE them. And drop biscuits are great for a chicken pot pie casserole, and sweetened drop biscuits over a cobbler are to die for. Yes, I am a Bisquick queen. YOu're probably getting fat (er) but so what. Next time you make biscuits, slather them with butter, then drizzle some warm honey over them. You'll die.

by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2023 3:53 PM

Cancer food!

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2023 3:54 PM

My father was addicted to eating Bisquick classic drop biscuits (with the gnarly outer texture) every night before he went to bed.

He apparently was raised on them as a boy from his mother cooking breakfast every day of his 1950’s southern childhood with scrambled eggs, bacon, grits, and biscuits.

By the time he reached his 60’s he would eat about three or four almost every night at bedtime, freshly made, cut in half with margarine (not butter), and covered in regular over the counter pancake syrup. He claimed he couldn’t sleep without eating them. My mom got so sick of making them every night, he just did it (and enjoyed it). Whenever I’d visit you knew the house was winding down for bed when dad started making his biscuits.

My father was otherwise quite healthy, and avid runner up to a certain age, didn’t smoke or drink. Normal weight. He never had cancer or heart issues. He died of a brain fluid disorder in his early 80’s.

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2023 4:01 PM

Doesn't Bisquick already have powdered buttermilk in it?

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2023 4:03 PM

R6 All that Bisquick went to his head!

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2023 4:05 PM

My mother used to make oven-fried chicken with Bisquick.

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2023 4:06 PM

R8 Leave that poor man alone!

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2023 4:16 PM

I like using the Red Lobster Cheddar Bay Biscuit Mix. Just add water, butter, and shredded cheddar cheese. I feel trashy for doing so but it is oh-so-delicious!

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2023 4:27 PM

If you eat a disproportionate amount of simple carbs then yes you'll become fat. Whore? I dunno, do you sell your fat and out of shape ass for money?

by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2023 4:27 PM

There are two states that have biscuit franchises, North Carolina and West Virginia.

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2023 4:29 PM

Wait, what is so dangerous about eating Bisquick…? Is it the carbs or some chemical ingredient?

by Anonymousreply 14May 20, 2023 4:40 PM

I love Bisquick for pancakes. I'll even take a spoonful of the mix and eat it. Weird yes...I know.

by Anonymousreply 15May 20, 2023 4:44 PM

R7 No. It's basically flour, vegetable oil, corn starch and baking soda.

by Anonymousreply 16May 20, 2023 4:54 PM

[quote]He apparently was raised on them as a boy from his mother cooking breakfast every day of his 1950’s southern childhood with scrambled eggs, bacon, grits, and biscuits.

I didn't realize Bisquick was that old, so I Googled it, and it's even older!

Invented in 1930 and introduced to the public a year later.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2023 5:01 PM

[quote]There are two states that have biscuit franchises, North Carolina and West Virginia.

What the hell is a "biscuit franchise"?

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2023 5:35 PM

My grandmother made biscuits Monday through Saturday (toast on Sunday) all her married life. She wouldn’t touch bisquick. No boxed stuff for her!

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2023 5:38 PM

I have made biscuits from scratch many times. I like Bisquick. It's easier and it makes great biscuits. And I can use it for other stuff too.

by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2023 5:44 PM

Bisquick was a staple food in my family as a child and growing up. My mother made the best biscuits using it. I thought about buying it as an adult a few times but never did for two reasons: it would make me a fat whore, and it contained partially hydrogenated oil which is an extremely unhealthy food additive.

by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2023 5:46 PM

I shaved my taint

by Anonymousreply 22May 20, 2023 5:47 PM

^^ You don’t actually think your lame non sequitur is humorous, do you?

by Anonymousreply 23May 20, 2023 5:55 PM

R18

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 20, 2023 6:12 PM

Try making the Bisquick coffee cake. The recipe should be right on the box. It's best to eat the same day. But if you have leftovers, you could microwave it or heat it up.

Loved that coffee cake when I was a child. (There's no coffee flavor in it.)

by Anonymousreply 25May 20, 2023 6:16 PM

What are those ones that involve giving the container a good whap on the edge of a kitchen counter and then twisting it so they come swarming out? I hate kitchen cleanup that’s any more involved or time consuming than this-goes-in-the-garbage/this-goes-in-the-recycle.

by Anonymousreply 26May 20, 2023 6:19 PM

They're called whomp biscuits. The brand name is Pillsbury Grands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27May 20, 2023 6:24 PM

[quote]They're called whomp biscuits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 20, 2023 6:29 PM

R15 It starts with a spoonful. Seek help.

by Anonymousreply 29May 20, 2023 6:31 PM

I also grew up with Bisquick in the house.

Mom used it to make pancakes. The over fried chicken was good as well and the biscuits were really good and easy to make.

I read an article that stated that Krusteaz was best for pancakes and now that’s all we use. Don’t use it for anything else.

by Anonymousreply 30May 20, 2023 6:43 PM

We used Bisquick for pancakes, growing up. My mom taught me to add some extra oil to the batter. I guess that stops it from sticking to the pan (we used cast iron).

by Anonymousreply 31May 20, 2023 6:57 PM

My friend makes a casserole involving ground beef, a cream sauce and lots of cheese and Bisquick. Serious fat whore territory, but good.

by Anonymousreply 32May 20, 2023 7:07 PM

OP, if you ever run out of Bisquick you can also get some flour, salt ,and baking powder and make your own! It's called "baking".

by Anonymousreply 33May 20, 2023 10:06 PM

r33 Bisquick has fat in it (shortening or oil.) What you're describing is self-rising flour (self-RAISING flour for our British viewers.)

by Anonymousreply 34May 20, 2023 11:15 PM

Bisquick sausage balls! Yummers!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 20, 2023 11:16 PM

Yeah, Bisquick has small clumps of fat in it.

by Anonymousreply 36May 20, 2023 11:17 PM

R27

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2023 12:33 PM

R33 I put dough in a hot oven until it's cooked. What's the word for that?

by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2023 2:06 PM

Idea for Bisquick came to a General Mills salesperson who asked a chef for a fast and simple mean while taking a trip by train.

Given the time period (1930's) that "chef" most certainly was an African American man working for the Pullman Company or at least employed by railroad in question. Name of chef is not know to history nor did General Mills ever give him any sort of credit.

Both on trains and in their own kitchens railroads employed blacks almost universally, usually via the Pullman company. This is why it is universally accepted that the General Mills salesman must have spoken with a black man and taken down his recipe or whatever on how he made biscuits so quickly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2023 2:08 PM

Another thing borrowed from railroads are "Pullman kitchens"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2023 2:13 PM

If you've ever eaten in a dining car on a train, or know history of Pullman you then understand why that chef had to be creative with his biscuit mix.

Basically a Pullman dining car kitchen was very tight quarters indeed. But passengers had to be fed and higher paying customers weren't going to be fobbed off by just sandwiches.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 21, 2023 2:18 PM

Famous square "Pullman" loafs of bread got their name because chefs and staff on Pullman dining/kitchen cars found that square loaves of bread were easier to stack and store. Again given tight confines of those kitchens this was a plus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42May 21, 2023 2:20 PM

R35 - according to that link, those sausage balls are 49 grams per serving - which means it's probably even more than that.

by Anonymousreply 43May 21, 2023 2:24 PM

[quote] This is why it is universally accepted that the General Mills salesman must have spoken with a black man and taken down his recipe or whatever

From the article you posted:

[quote] He asked the cook how he made them, and was shown a pre-mixed blend of flour, salt, baking powder, and lard kept on ice

It does not say the pre-mixed blend was the cook’s recipe. And the ingredients for biscuits haven’t changed much. It does say that General Mills company took the *idea* of a pre-packaged biscuit mix and improved it (no ice). The pre-packaged idea belonged to the Pullman Company not the person who was making the biscuits.

by Anonymousreply 44May 21, 2023 2:24 PM

Try Bisquick crustless quiche. Recipes are all over the internet. Really, you can whip up a quiche in minutes using Bisquick.

And pancakes. The basic Bisquick pancake (recipe on the box) is better than all those other boxed mixes.

However, the ingredients of today's Bisquick is full of crap that I prefer not to eat:

"wheat flour, niacin, iron, thiamin mononitrate, riboflavin, folic acid), Corn Starch, Leavening (baking soda, monocalcium phosphate, sodium aluminum phosphate), Dextrose, Vegetable Oil (palm, sunflower, canola, and/or high oleic soybean oil), Sugar, Salt, Monoglycerides."

You can make your own with just 4 ingredients. Buy good un-enriched flour.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 21, 2023 3:15 PM

Could always find Bisquick in my mother's kitchen. Besides pancakes and biscuits, she made a delicious beef stew with fresh vegetables and Bisquick dumplings. Just so delicious, with the rich brown gravy. She also used Bisquick to make a topping for chicken pot pie.

by Anonymousreply 46May 21, 2023 3:24 PM

At R43, I meant to say 43 grams of FAT per serving.

by Anonymousreply 47May 21, 2023 3:52 PM

I make those sausage balls for breakfast every Thanksgiving. My partner would riot if I didn't.

by Anonymousreply 48May 21, 2023 3:58 PM

Every time I miss biscuits or pancakes, and think I'll rediscover the taste of my childhood, I go to the grocery store intending to get some Bisquick.

And when I get to that aisle and pick up the container of powder, I realize it's half fucking empty, and don't buy it. RIPOFF!

by Anonymousreply 49May 21, 2023 4:28 PM

Bisquick is loaded with trans fats, the artery clogging, heart destroying kind that should be avoided.

OP, it would be interesting to compare you LDL, HDL and triglycerides after a year of your Bisquick bingeing on the road to becoming a fat whore.

by Anonymousreply 50May 21, 2023 4:47 PM

Of course it was very very likely some Black Chef who gave them Bisquick in all its earliest forms, and yes, GM "perfected it" . But the concept and the basic ingredients were not General Mills'.

I would love to see some kind of thread about the history of various foods and cuisines, and cultures and how they began. Beer, and wine, too. And maybe in that new thread someone can tell us why so many ancient Norse customs were so horrible. That crap they drank and the way they prepared fish for fuck's sake. OK. THis was not germain to this thread. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 51May 21, 2023 5:04 PM

There is a heart healthy Bisquick and a gluten-free Bisquick.

by Anonymousreply 52May 21, 2023 5:20 PM

[quote] But the concept and the basic ingredients were not General Mills'.

Biscuits were being made decades and decades before Pullman trains. GM didn’t need a black chef telling them how they were made.

by Anonymousreply 53May 21, 2023 5:25 PM

Cooks were mixing together flour, lard (or butter) and baking powder together since the invention of banking powder in the 1800s (invented in England BTW).

It was the genius of General Mills to create the pre-made mix.

by Anonymousreply 54May 21, 2023 5:50 PM

^ of baking powder

by Anonymousreply 55May 21, 2023 5:51 PM

Karen...get your shit together and eat dem bisquits.....

by Anonymousreply 56May 21, 2023 5:53 PM

"And maybe in that new thread someone can tell us why so many ancient Norse customs were so horrible. That crap they drank and the way they prepared fish for fuck's sake. "

Well, foodstuffs like the lutefisk and rotten shark meat reeking with uric acid started because it was eat them or starve. That's pretty clear, because if the choice is rotten shark dug up from the frozen beach or death, most people will give the rotten frozen shark a try.

I have no explanation for the religious customs. The Paganism practiced by my ancestors was really horrible, a real death cult.

by Anonymousreply 57May 21, 2023 9:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!