Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

ALW's " SUNSET BOULEVARD" returns to the West End for 30th Anniversary revival

Andrew Lloyd Webber's "SUNSET BOULEVARD" will be making it's way back to the West End this Fall in a revival to celebrate the show's 30th Anniversary. Recording artist Nicole Scherzinger has been selected by Lloyd Webber to star as faded silent star 'Norma Desmond', while Jamie Lloyd has been chosen to direct the musical which will take the stage at the Savoy Theater. Scherzinger previously worked with Lloyd Webber when she played 'Grizabella' in the revival of CATS.

Lloyd Webber commented, “Nicole is one of the finest singers I have worked with, and I can’t wait to get started on this exciting show with her and the rest of this brilliant team."

Director Lloyd said in a statement, “After our reappraisal of Evita at the Open Air Theatre, Regent’s Park, I’m very excited to rediscover another iconic Lloyd Webber musical—and Sunset Boulevard is one of his most thrilling, complex, and atmospheric scores. We are so fortunate to have the opportunity to create a new production of this fascinating piece with the extraordinary Nicole Scherzinger.”

This year marks The Jamie Lloyd Company's 10th anniversary - Sunset Boulevard follows the company's Tony Award nominated production of A Doll's House starring Jessica Chastain and Arian Moayed, running at the Hudson Theatre, Broadway until 10 June; and the forthcoming National Theatre production of Lucy Prebble's The Effect starring Paapa Essiedu and Taylor Russell running in the Lyttleton theatre from 1 August, in association with The Jamie Lloyd Company.

No other casting announcements have been made. The revival is expected to open late September, and run for a 16 week limited engagement, with tickets going on sale in a few weeks. It's expected ALW will have three shows running on the West End at that time: the revised 'Phantom of the Opera', the revival of 'Aspects of Love' and then the revival of 'Sunset Boulevard'. Currently, for the first time in 43 years, there are no ALW musicals on Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2023 3:02 PM

That infernal noise you are trying to determine is the gnashing of Glenn Close’s teeth.

by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2023 1:05 PM

I think at this point Glenn should play Max.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2023 1:19 PM

[quote]Recording artist Nicole Scherzinger has been selected by Lloyd Webber to star as faded silent star 'Norma Desmond'

So Sarah fucking Brightman was too fucking FAT for the role?

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2023 1:40 PM

Of course, fans of the musical are already with the spears and daggers out...

They are saying the star, Nicole, is TOO YOUNG for the role, even though she's a year older than when Patti LuPone starred in 1993, and two years younger than when Close starred in 1994. Many say she looks half her age, and comes across too sexy.

They're concerned with director Jamie Lloyd, who's known for his bare minimalist set design and only concentrates on the actors. Will there be only two chairs on stage to represent Norma's lavish mansion ? Will there be a ladder she steps up and down from the represent the grand staircase ? Will Hogeye's spotlight be replaced by a flashlight ?

Of course, with just a sixteen week run, there wouldn't be a huge budget for the production, and a lavish set (like we saw in 1993-97) is out of the question. That's probably why Lloyd was chosen. Still - bare minimum is not what SB was ever about.

Thoughts ?

by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2023 1:45 PM

R3 She has gained lots of weight. She should diet a bit. Otherwise it would be great to see her as Norma.

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2023 1:46 PM

This would be great news if ALW had asked Patti to return for a limited run.

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2023 1:47 PM

I agree R5, she'd be fabulous for it otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2023 1:49 PM

Maybe Brightman will do the revival on B'way if it ever makes it here. She has a huge following in the USA.

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2023 1:54 PM

[quote]They are saying the star, Nicole, is TOO YOUNG for the role, even though she's a year older than when Patti LuPone starred in 1993, and two years younger than when Close starred in 1994. Many say she looks half her age, and comes across too sexy.

I did check her age and I feel incredibly sad to realise that Don't Cha is 18 years old.

Scherzinger's pop career has detracted from her talent as a singer as did the celebrity dating and reality tv show appearances (MOMMY YOU PROMISED ME!)

But she is an exceptional talent and has come closer to winning an Oscar than Glenn has, via Jai Ho.

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2023 2:08 PM

I don't think she's that familiar stateside.

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2023 4:30 PM

I suppose Andrew will stop writing now that everything in this century has failed. Looking for the revamp of Joseph and his Dreamcoat next.

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2023 4:57 PM

R11 Wasn't his SCHOOL OF ROCK a major hit ?

by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2023 4:59 PM

“School of Rock” is unlikely to restore Mr. Lloyd Webber to the throne from which he ruled Broadway four decades ago, when he led the conquering forces of the British poperetta with works like “Evita” and the unkillable “Phantom of the Opera.”

"O.K., so frisky is perhaps not a word you want to see anywhere near Mr. Lloyd Webber’s name, especially if you’re among those who were allergic to the felines who purred T. S. Eliot verses to swoony tunes in “Cats."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2023 5:14 PM

Billy Wilder saw the production at the Shubert Theater in Los Angeles with Glenn Close. When asked what he thought of the show, he said, “It was brilliant. They didn’t change a thing.”

by Anonymousreply 14May 20, 2023 5:25 PM

[quote]“School of Rock” is unlikely to restore Mr. Lloyd Webber to the throne from which he ruled Broadway four decades ago, when he led the conquering forces of the British poperetta with works like “Evita” and the unkillable “Phantom of the Opera.”

However, it was a hit on Broadway in the 21st Century, correct ? Wasn't the statement 'I suppose Andrew will stop writing now that everything in this century has failed' ? Doesn't this prove that not everything he did was a failure this century ?

by Anonymousreply 15May 20, 2023 5:26 PM

This German production seems to get it right.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16May 20, 2023 5:28 PM

Aspects of Love is back in the West End, back with Michael Bobby Ball.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2023 5:35 PM

Back in 1990-93, ALW was so picky on who would star in his musical - he had to have the right actress perform his Norma Desmond. Shirley MacLaine and Angela Lansbury were his two preferred choices. Michele Lee was on his short-list. LuPone and Close ended up getting the roles. He was choosy in making sure not only the actress could sing the role, but look the part of a silent screen star - someone who had the right facial features and expressions on stage.

Since then, it seems like anyone who wants the role can have it. He hasn't been that choosy in a very long time.

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2023 5:38 PM

Will it be better than CATS?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2023 5:53 PM

FAYE DUNAWAY, R18. FAYE DUNAWAY!

by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2023 5:57 PM

Dunaway sure had the looks of a glamorous silent screen star - yet he said she couldn't sing. I've always wondered if she started with her crazy behavior back then (in her 50s) and he didn't want to come out and say it. So he blamed her singing.

by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2023 6:01 PM

R21 Her voice and singing couldn’t be worse than Close’s.

by Anonymousreply 22May 20, 2023 6:44 PM

Dunaway was 54 he offered her the role in 1994. I have a feeling she started losing her mind back then - maybe it was due to menopause, or treatment for it ? He blamed her singing, but I'm thinking it was her irrational, crazy behavior starting. Maybe she started throwing salads at people back then.

by Anonymousreply 23May 23, 2023 3:07 PM

Nicole Scherzinger is a hot slut. No 30 year old failed writer would be ashamed to gigolo for her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 23, 2023 4:24 PM

But can she play the part of Norma Desmond convincingly ? That is the question on everyone's mind.

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2023 4:31 PM

^ no. If she could act, she would have done so in movies by now.

by Anonymousreply 26May 23, 2023 4:32 PM

[quote]But she is an exceptional talent and has come closer to winning an Oscar than Glenn has, via Jai Ho.

Which she wasn’t listed as a nominee for, you delusional queen.

by Anonymousreply 27May 23, 2023 4:34 PM

I mean Norma is a beautiful silent movie star, in that respect she fits the bill more than Close, Lupone, Buckley and Page. As mentioned above she’s close in age to the ladies mentioned.

Movie wise it’s going to be another Streisand/Gypsy. I think CZJ could do the part justice on film maybe Michelle Pfeiffer.

by Anonymousreply 28May 23, 2023 4:53 PM

R26 Assuming she wanted a movie career. Maybe she is satisfied with a stage career - like many actresses ?

by Anonymousreply 29May 23, 2023 5:05 PM

R28 Glenn’s Sunset and Barbra’s Gypsy won’t happen.

by Anonymousreply 30May 23, 2023 6:04 PM

R16 You can never go wrong with Pia Douwes in anything. Maybe ALW couldn't get her the job because of, you know...BREXIT.

by Anonymousreply 31May 23, 2023 6:27 PM

Ohhhh Pia would be sublime!

by Anonymousreply 32May 23, 2023 6:36 PM

Nicole has been very dramatic on The Masked Singer, as she can cry on demand whenever the singer sings a sad song! She's very talented.

by Anonymousreply 33May 23, 2023 6:38 PM

Lloyd is gonna have them wearing grey rags and sweatpants. Norma will get a turban made of cotton.

by Anonymousreply 34May 23, 2023 6:45 PM

[quote] "SUNSET BOULEVARD" will be making it's way

Its, stupid cunt OP. Go to the link and do not type anything until you have read every word.

Because you're a stupid cunt, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35May 23, 2023 6:47 PM

[quote]I think CZJ could do the part justice on film maybe Michelle Pfeiffer.

Michelle could do it, but I'm still far too young!

by Anonymousreply 36May 23, 2023 7:14 PM

Joan Collins can do it at 90. All that white flour on her face, false eye lashes and lipstick ? Yup she can.

by Anonymousreply 37May 23, 2023 8:03 PM

Why not stunt cast and have Brooke Shields do it? She's a passable singer, especially for how Desmond's portrayed in it.

by Anonymousreply 38May 25, 2023 1:50 PM

[quote] Assuming she wanted a movie career. Maybe she is satisfied with a stage career - like many actresses ?

Nope.

ALW was so annoyed that she pulled out of the Broadway transfer of Cats in favour of another season of the X-Factor (ie cold hard cash) that he refused to let her audition for the movie. Nicole complained publicly about losing the role to JHud long after its release. .

by Anonymousreply 39May 26, 2023 11:30 AM

Brightman could play the Isotta Fraschini, R5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 26, 2023 12:08 PM

[quote]Lloyd Webber commented, “Nicole is one of the finest singers I have worked with, and I can’t wait to get started on this exciting show with her and the rest of this brilliant team."

Referring to her as a singer, not an actress is very telling. Yes, I know that's how she got started, of course, and where her fame derives from. But she's been doing musical theatre for a while now. And while Norma is a big role vocally it needs a strong actress. Well, it needs a better book and stronger lyrics, but that's the case with even the best (relatively speaking) Lloyd Webber shows.

by Anonymousreply 41May 26, 2023 12:23 PM

Pia Zadora would be a Norma for the ages.

by Anonymousreply 42May 26, 2023 5:19 PM

Brightman caN't act and she has to make weird facial expressions now.

by Anonymousreply 43May 26, 2023 8:17 PM

44? Come on!

by Anonymousreply 44June 21, 2023 12:20 PM

Glenn will be filming in Finland this summer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45June 21, 2023 1:29 PM

The good news is that Nicole's nosejob and fillers won't be visible from the stage.

by Anonymousreply 46June 21, 2023 1:33 PM

Wait.....Glenn is filming what?

by Anonymousreply 47June 21, 2023 1:41 PM

Creature from the Black Lagoon r47

by Anonymousreply 48June 21, 2023 2:31 PM

I'm so sick of hearing that LuPone and Close were not beautiful enough to play a silent movie star convincingly. Beauty is subjective: I find both women beautiful, albeit unconventionally so. Otherwise, their looks aren't anything some makeup and glamour couldn't "fix." Besides, have you seen some of the broads they used to sell as The World's Most Beautiful Women? Look at Theda Bara. The mind boggles. One thing all those women had was charisma, which is all you need to be seen as a potentially marketable star. Nicole's modern surgical enhancements (and absence of charisma) are more unbelievable than LuPone or Close's lack of girl-next-door good looks, but who cares? It's fiction. Suspend disbelief.

by Anonymousreply 49June 21, 2023 3:02 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!