Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

2024 Oscars - Best Lead Actress Poll

I picked the ten most high-profile actresses who all have major releases coming out this year and are most likely to be nominated for an Oscar. Who do you think will win the Oscar or who do you hope will win?

Can overdue Annette Bening finally be awarded an Oscar now in the form of an Oscar bait biopic as swimmer Diana Nyad now that Hilary Swank isn't in the running to sabotage her chances as she did twice before? Will Cate Blanchett be considered due for her third Oscar as a boozy nun after having lost for Tár last year despite being the frontrunner? Or will Jessica Lange take precedence for winning that so rare but coveted third Oscar for a performance of a lifetime that made her the first American actress nominated for an Olivier award and netted her a Tony? Will Academy favorite, Todd Haynes, be counted on as delivering nominations for his two lead actresses, Julianne Moore and Natalie Portman, in roles reminiscent of Margo Channing and Eve Harrington, or will they cancel each other out? Similarly, will Anne Hathaway and Jessica Chastain overpower the other in their 21st century version of What Ever Happened to Baby Jane or will Anne score a nomination instead for her take on a new Carol? Will Kate Winslet and Helen Mirren's biopics as a war journalist and Israel's first and only female Prime Minister respectively lead one to the front of the pack? Or will Lady Gaga finally make up for her snub two years ago for House of Gucci and capitalize on the momentum of Joaquin Phoenix's Oscar-winning performance as the Joker in the long-awaited sequel?

by Anonymousreply 287August 10, 2023 12:55 AM

I just want to watch Cate's PR tour again, she's very entertaining in the worst possible way. Looks like a stacked year otherwise.

[quote]Jessica Chastain, Lady Gaga, Anne Hathaway

Can these three just go away forever?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 20, 2023 5:48 AM

I also want to point out The Miracle Club starring Maggie Smith, Kathy Bates, and Laura Linney. I didn't include them in the poll because I have no idea which actress would be considered for a lead role vs supporting role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 20, 2023 5:49 AM

OP is the Lange Loon. This is your final warning.

by Anonymousreply 3May 20, 2023 5:51 AM

Don’t dismiss Teyana Taylor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2023 5:53 AM

Penelope Cruz in L’immensità is another one I wanted to fit into the poll but didn't have space for. She's playing her favorite role, that of a mother, but this time of a trans son. Cruz's nominations tend to only come from American films or Pedro Almodóvar's Spanish films which is why I'm assuming she might not be a contender but then again, her nomination for Almodóvar's Parallel Mothers two years ago also came as a last minute surprise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2023 5:56 AM

[quote] I just want to watch Cate's PR tour again, she's very entertaining in the worst possible way.

She certainly has experience with booze for her new role based on her Critics Choice Awards speech where you could tell she was completely drunk and grasping for words, hence her blunder about abolishing awards and how they're a product of the patriarchy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2023 6:04 AM

All the same boring WHITE people again and again. At least Meryl isn't included.

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2023 6:08 AM

Does Nicole Kidman have anything upcoming? I feel like all she does are shows and the occasional streaming movie now.

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2023 6:09 AM

Next year's it's going to be me!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2023 6:23 AM

Glenn's time is coming. Not this year but I'm sure by 2024, we'll get a release for Sunset Boulevard.

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2023 6:25 AM

Won't it piss off Meryl when Jessica and Glenn win back to back and meanwhile, Meryl's nominations have completely dried up

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2023 6:26 AM

Isn't Netflix planning on pushing Roberts for the psychological thriller Leave The World Behind?

by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2023 6:33 AM

R11 no I doubt she gives a toss. She has loads of grandchildren to keep her busy

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2023 6:38 AM

When do we think Julia will finally get her second Oscar? It's as inevitable as the first one.

by Anonymousreply 14May 20, 2023 6:58 AM

Julia should count her lucky stars she got one Oscar, even at the expense of Ellen Burstyn's second (or Joan Allen or Laura Linney's first and only). No one is clamoring for her to get a second. And if it wasn't for Weinstein, she wouldn't have even gotten a nomination for August: Osage County even though she clearly acted all over Meryl in that.

by Anonymousreply 15May 20, 2023 7:04 AM

DL Oscar Poll So White

by Anonymousreply 16May 20, 2023 7:06 AM

Don't all the great stars get a second Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2023 7:06 AM

[quote] Don't all the great stars get a second Oscar?

Some stars don't even have one yet like Tom Cruise and Harrison Ford.

Julia fits in comfortably with the type of star that Hollywood was willing to give one Oscar to but they're never going to be interested in awarding ever again because they're not considered real actors. For example, Brad Pitt, George Clooney, Sandra Bullock, Mel Gibson, Ben Affleck, Leonardo DiCaprio, Will Smith, etc. They all got Oscars for their stardom and all they've done for Hollywood but that's all. Some like Gibson and Affleck never even got nods for acting but got their Oscars for directing or producing.

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2023 7:11 AM

R16 is Jada. Go back to blackwashing history and Egypt and see what that gets you.

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2023 7:12 AM

Lange Loon has been busy lately

by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2023 7:15 AM

R18 perfectly stated. I just always assumed when you are over the top star the "actor" thing doesn't apply. Elizabeth Taylor. She was no great thespian.

by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2023 7:17 AM

R22 Kathleen Turner would agree with you about Elizabeth Taylor being no real actress. Unfortunately, Kathleen doesn't even have one Oscar to her name.

And Liz having 2 Oscars is a special case. Her first one was because she nearly died and the Academy wanted to award her one for that. Plus the fact that she had been nominated several years in a row then without winning so it seemed like the last opportunity to award her. No one would have guessed that Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf would come out a few years later. In hindsight, I'm sure if the voters had known about that movie, they would have waited to just award her an Oscar then. Note that Virginia Woolf was her only Oscar nomination after winning her first Oscar. She is good in it but that's also mainly because she's just playing herself, as a shrill-voiced harridan.

The downside of Liz being awarded that first Oscar is that Deborah Kerr, who was then on her 6th and final nomination, would go Oscarless. To this day she's still the most nominated actress in the Lead Actress category without a competitive Oscar (Glenn only has 4 nominations in this category).

by Anonymousreply 22May 20, 2023 7:23 AM

Oops I meant R21 in the above post

by Anonymousreply 23May 20, 2023 7:23 AM

To be fair I don't at all think Elizabeth Taylor was a bad actress. I've liked her in a lot of movies. But she's a movie star like Julia Roberts is a movie star. Neither a bad actress or a great one. Both very good territory. But mostly for the STAR quality.

by Anonymousreply 24May 20, 2023 7:50 AM

I haven't seen Liz in Raintree County yet since WB still refuses to release it on Blu-Ray but I did like her in Suddenly, Last Summer. That is until I saw the 1993 version with Natasha Richardson in the role and I realized what the character of Catherine was like with a real actress at the helm. Cat on a Hot Tin Roof I also wasn't impressed with but I've never liked any iteration of that play. Her acting was good in BUtterfield 8 but the movie was awful.

She's also my favorite Amy from Little Women.

by Anonymousreply 25May 20, 2023 8:16 AM

Gaga will most likely have a great chance, but Joker 2 doesn't come out until October 2024.

So she's not in the running.

by Anonymousreply 26May 20, 2023 8:23 AM

Netflix releasing Leave The World Behind Dec 8. Pushing Mahershala Ali for Lead Actor and Roberts for Lead Actress.

by Anonymousreply 27May 20, 2023 8:29 AM

R22 Deborah got to rub up against Burt Lancaster's hairy pinga on a beach so I don't feel too badly for her!

by Anonymousreply 28May 20, 2023 9:42 AM

Cate Blanchett wasn't THE frontrunner this year...it was her vs Michelle Yeoh.

And, you left off Fantasia for The Color Purple. If she doesn't get a nom, they'll be hell to pay.

by Anonymousreply 29May 20, 2023 9:55 AM

Janet Yang was responsible for all the awards EEAAO racked up at this year's Oscars. It was purely part of an agenda. Cate came to the Oscars dressed down and looking depressed because she knew they had rigged the game against her. Not to mention, only a few days prior Michelle Yeoh had flouted the rules and posted disparaging remarks about Cate which should have disqualified her immediately. Not under Janet Yang's presidency.

by Anonymousreply 30May 20, 2023 10:03 AM

Yes R30, this is very true. Janet Yang was entirely out of line rooting for Michelle. I agree that Cate knew she was going home empty-handed.

I hope that in the future, Cate does a little less promotion/full on campaigning for the Oscar. Frankly, she should lay low like Daniel Day Lewis.

Every year the Oscars becomes more of a joke - how they handled Will Smith & this year with the Andrea R. mess.

by Anonymousreply 31May 20, 2023 8:58 PM

I vote Vivian Vance.

by Anonymousreply 32May 20, 2023 9:14 PM

Cate will win

by Anonymousreply 33May 20, 2023 9:16 PM

Fantasia, Greta Lee, and Lily Gladstone should be in the poll.

by Anonymousreply 34May 20, 2023 9:23 PM

Fantasia for The Color Purple is a good bet. Also, the Joker sequel is coming out Fall 2024 so no Gaga.

by Anonymousreply 35May 20, 2023 9:23 PM

Fantasia?!

by Anonymousreply 36May 20, 2023 9:31 PM

The Obamas are producers on Leave The World Behind. Wouldn't it be fun to see MAGA so postal if they were Oscar nominated?

by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2023 5:52 AM

Julianne Moore is playing a woman who had an affair with a 13 year old while she was 36 and their marriage after she comes out of jail. Hollywood doesn't like controversial figures like this which is one of the reasons why Cate's Lydia Tar wasn't awarded.

by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2023 5:56 AM

R38 Julianne Moore is playing a 36 year old? I know she looks great for her age but…seriously.

by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2023 6:22 AM

R39 She's playing 36 before the start of the movie when she has an affair with a student. When the movie begins, it's been 20 years later so she'd be 56.

by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2023 6:25 AM

Cate is making more claims about retiring.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 21, 2023 6:41 AM

Obviously this thread was started by a Klan member. How else do your explain over looking my performance in Air as a BEST Actress nominee????

by Anonymousreply 42May 21, 2023 6:45 AM

Cate is owed for Tar. The bill is due for a third at some point.

by Anonymousreply 43May 21, 2023 6:47 AM

[quote]Every year the Oscars becomes more of a joke - how they handled Will Smith & this year with the Andrea R. mess.

That's what happens when you hire inept people to fill racial/gender quotas.

The fact is, white men are generally the most professional/punctual and most talented at directing/writing/producing/editing/cinematography/composing/costume design, etc.

And they make better leaders than women or people of color.

No wonder Hollywood has turned into such a mess the past decade, with many clueless women and POC in positions of power via affirmative action.

by Anonymousreply 44May 21, 2023 6:52 AM

I stand with Richard Dreyfuss.

[quote] "No one should be telling me as an artist that I have to give in to the latest, most current idea of what morality is. What are we risking? Are we really risking hurting people’s feelings? You can’t legislate that. You have to let life be life and I’m sorry, I don’t think there is a minority or majority in the country that has to be catered to like that.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 21, 2023 7:04 AM

Richard Dreyfuss is a hero for saying what everyone else wants to say but is too afraid to state out loud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 21, 2023 7:06 AM

Am anticipating seeing how Juliette Binoche's The Pot au Feu is received at Cannes. To be screened May 24 ....

by Anonymousreply 47May 21, 2023 7:12 AM

R47 Don't mention that bitch in my presence

by Anonymousreply 48May 21, 2023 7:14 AM

Charlotte Rampling remains a hero

[quote] Asked for her take on the current furor over all-white lists of nominees on French Radio network Europe 1 on Friday morning, the British actor did not mince her words. “It is racist to whites,” she said. “One can never really know, but perhaps the black actors did not deserve to make the final list. Why classify people? These days everyone is more or less accepted ... People will always say: ‘Him, he’s less handsome’; ‘Him, he’s too black’; ‘He is too white’ ... someone will always be saying ‘You are too’ [this or that] ... But do we have to take from this that there should be lots of minorities everywhere?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 21, 2023 7:24 AM

R49 I think she could have been more eloquent about that though as people only took the "racist to white people" part and ran with it.

Maybe just state how patronising it is to everyone

by Anonymousreply 50May 21, 2023 9:29 AM

I want Julianne to win another Oscar to make up for all those times she should have won.

by Anonymousreply 51May 21, 2023 1:00 PM

Oops, the OP tried to create another “I hate Lady Gaga thread!” but no one took the bait

No worries, she’ll create another thread…and another thread…

by Anonymousreply 52May 21, 2023 1:04 PM

Big Julianne should have won for Far From Heaven and been nominated in Supporting for A Single Man. I also thought she was every bit as good as Nettie Bening in The Kids Are All Right.

If "Safe" had been released in a weaker year (1994, 1997) she might have won for that!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 21, 2023 1:10 PM

R50 It was translated from French so probably not exactly what she said or meant.

by Anonymousreply 54May 21, 2023 6:45 PM

R41 or other insiders... I wonder if the other big stars attending Cannes are sick of Cate doing her runway schtick & show for Louis Vuitton? Do they feel like she's upstaging them? Or are they cool with her bringing the glamour to the premiere?

I know this year she has the small movie, New Boy, in which she acted and produced. It just seems that she dominates a lot of the press -- she simply can't & does not want to give up the attention/interviews/photos.

by Anonymousreply 55May 21, 2023 8:39 PM

[quote] I want Julianne to win another Oscar to make up for all those times she should have won.

She's definitely one of those actresses who deserves to be a 2-time winner. Shockingly she hasn't been nominated since she won for Still Alice so I hope May December changes things.

by Anonymousreply 56May 21, 2023 9:14 PM

[quote] Oops, the OP tried to create another “I hate Lady Gaga thread!” but no one took the bait. No worries, she’ll create another thread…and another thread…

Um NO. I love Lady Gaga which is why I included her in this thread even though most people on DL seem to hate on her. My only mistake was not realizing that her film won't be released until late 2024. In hindsight, I should have replaced her with Penelope Cruz or Alicia Vikander.

by Anonymousreply 57May 21, 2023 9:16 PM

Viola Davis and Fantasia Barrino will most likely be nominees.

Update your list OP.

by Anonymousreply 58May 21, 2023 9:16 PM

Regina King also that Shirley Chisholm biopic for Netflix, though apparently it's mediocre.

R58 Davis is supporting for "Air".

by Anonymousreply 59May 21, 2023 9:26 PM

The films aren’t even out yet.

by Anonymousreply 60May 21, 2023 9:28 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 61May 21, 2023 9:33 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 62May 21, 2023 9:36 PM

Alicia Vikander in Firebrand as Henry VIII's 6th wife, Catherine Parr, is also a contender but reviews seem to suggest that Jude Law has the better chance of being nominated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63May 21, 2023 9:44 PM

The Color Purple will probably be like Dear Evan Hansen. Just because it worked on stage doesn't mean the same actor can make it work on film.

by Anonymousreply 64May 21, 2023 9:45 PM

Lady Gaga is not a good actress. She got LUCKY playing herself in A Star. She was a cartoon in HOG. Her PR tries. So hard to push her as this great actress when she isn’t anywhere near the level of ANY of those mentioned. JFC. They’ll nominate anyone these days. Quality sure has slipped.

by Anonymousreply 65May 21, 2023 9:47 PM

People close to Gaga anonymously said that she was bereft at being snubbed for House of Gucci but she wouldn't let that slow her down. She was only more determined to pick quality scripts and find a vehicle that would win her that much deserved Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 66May 21, 2023 9:51 PM

Emma Stone for “Poor Things”

Fantasia for “The Color Purple”

by Anonymousreply 67May 21, 2023 9:54 PM

R66 That literally is the most pathetic thing I have read in awhile. She is a mentally fragile freak. Very unlikeable. She’s not good enough.

by Anonymousreply 68May 21, 2023 9:58 PM

[quote] The “Tar” star presented a pointy-shaped award at the event to Iranian actress Zahra Amir Ebrahim, and quipped, “This is to stab all the people who stand in the way of women’s rights.” Blanchett then held the award by her crotch and moved it skyward, exclaiming: “Up the vajajay!”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 21, 2023 10:00 PM

Way too white! Sick of all these wyppo

by Anonymousreply 70May 21, 2023 10:01 PM

R68 It sounds better the way the source said it than how I paraphrased it.

[quote] "According to a source, there are no hard feelings. “Going through this unique award season has gotten Gaga more and more motivated to do more film work, which she is hoping will get her the Oscar nomination that escaped her this year,” the source told us. “It has lit a fire in her to get up on that stage again and win an Oscar in the future.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 21, 2023 10:02 PM

R71 it's fucking sad to pursue making a movie just to get a dumb Oscar. And Gaga was atrocious in that House Of Gucci farce

by Anonymousreply 72May 21, 2023 10:10 PM

R71 The fucking DELUSION. She is mediocre. She exemplifies the current Oscars- all BS mediocrity. Lady Gaga is a mentally fragile freak. All she wants is awards because she has BPD and needs the validation desperately. Pathetic.

by Anonymousreply 73May 21, 2023 10:11 PM

R71 She’s very homely. She’ll be the least sexy Harley Quinn of all time.

by Anonymousreply 74May 21, 2023 10:12 PM

Yet she remains the frontrunner of the 2025 Oscars. If Glenn's Sunset Boulevard isn't ready by then, Gaga will be walking away with an Oscar that year.

by Anonymousreply 75May 21, 2023 10:13 PM

R75 Based on a movie not even RELEASED?? Her PR team is pushing this “front runner” bullshit. What a sad creature.

by Anonymousreply 76May 21, 2023 10:14 PM

Why did you choose all white women? And some of these, like Lady Gaga or Jessica Lange, are very unlikely to get an Oscar nomination. Jessica’s film could barely scrape together financing so I would not consider it a major release.

by Anonymousreply 77May 21, 2023 10:15 PM

R75 Not one person will give a damn. The Oscars are over

by Anonymousreply 78May 21, 2023 10:15 PM

R77 What racial quotes should I follow then? 2 slots for blacks, 1 for Asians, 1 for Hispanics. Nevermind that Asians make up the largest percentage of people in the world and Hispanics are the largest minority group in the US and Spanish speakers will soon outnumber English speakers.

If Andrea Riseborough could score an Oscar nomination for her little seen or heard movie, then Lange will have no issue raising awareness of her film. She is a film legend and adored by many actors such as Anthony Hopkins, Jessica Chastain, Kathy Bates, Susan Sarandon, Naomi Watts, etc. Her performance as Mary Tyrone made her the first American actress to be nominated for an Olivier Award and she won the Tony in a career best role. She will have no trouble being nominated, let alone collecting her 3rd Oscar.

As for Lady Gaga, the first Joker was a monumental hit and won Joaquin Phoenix his Oscar. The character of the Joker has now won two Oscars so it's not ludicrous at all to believe that his distaff counterpart, Harley Quinn, will get a nomination in this long-awaited sequel especially when played by Lady Gaga who is the last great movie star who gets older viewers to actually buy tickets to adult prestige films. They will not dare snub Lady Gaga a second time.

by Anonymousreply 79May 21, 2023 10:21 PM

R79 ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahhaahahahahahahahaha

JFC her fans have BPD, too.

AHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHA

by Anonymousreply 80May 21, 2023 10:23 PM

R79 HOG was not a success. LG is not popular. She’s middle tier at best. She’s also fug.

by Anonymousreply 81May 21, 2023 10:25 PM

OP do you want me to Slap you?

by Anonymousreply 82May 21, 2023 10:27 PM

R81 Exhibit A

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83May 21, 2023 10:27 PM

R61 Big Frances should have won twice for Almost Famous (supporting) and Nomadland (lead).

Either Brenda Blethyn or Emily Watson should have won in 1996. Sally Hawkins was by far the most deserving in 2017.

by Anonymousreply 84May 21, 2023 10:28 PM

R81 Exhibit B

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85May 21, 2023 10:28 PM

Just because Jessica won a Tony in 2016, it doesn’t guarantee her an Oscar nomination in 2024. If the film is barely released - or terrible - then others who have more backing will have a better chance. But I know you want this to be true so best wishes.

by Anonymousreply 86May 21, 2023 10:29 PM

R81 Exhibit C

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 21, 2023 10:29 PM

R83 House Of Gucci made $150m from a $75m budget (!). Therefore given all promo costs and distribution costs it made a significant financial loss. Got that pussy breath?

by Anonymousreply 88May 21, 2023 10:30 PM

R81 Exhibit D. I think the point should have come across by now.

[quote] Ridley Scott has a good news, bad news fall. The esteemed director has had a big hit and a big flop simultaneously. You see, even at 83 there’s still room for things that haven’t happened before! Scott’s “House of Gucci” — even with mixed reviews — has taken off at the box office. In two weeks, “Gucci,” starring Lady Gaga, has made $33.6 million. At MGM, they must be opening Champagne after so many flops. But Gaga won the New York Film Critics Award for Best Actress on Friday which spurred audiences into theaters. An NBC special on the history of the Gucci murder didn’t hurt. So “Gucci” is a hit. Now all they need is the Gucci family filing a lawsuit, and the PR will go through the roof. (Not like the MGM PR department has done a thing. But they can reap the benefits.) The bad news: “House of Gucci” has made more than 3 times the money Scott’s “The Last Duel” has taken in domestically– and in just two weeks. It’s actually made made more than “The Last Duel” earned worldwide ($29 mil).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 21, 2023 10:30 PM

In the end, HOG flatlined and fell off. Comparing it to PANDEMIC ERA movies is laughable. Final box office was a flop.

The Lady Gaga troll is acting exactly as you would expect. This WHOLE thread was started to put HER name in there.

by Anonymousreply 90May 21, 2023 10:31 PM

[quote] In the end, HOG flatlined and fell off. Comparing it to PANDEMIC ERA movies is laughable. Final box office was a flop.

It was the most successful adult drama during the pandemic. Had it come out before or after, it would have made $300 million. I know this was the first movie I went to the theater to watch since COVID first began and clearly that was the case for older folks who finally felt a movie was being catered towards them and not the usual superhero garbage.

by Anonymousreply 91May 21, 2023 10:35 PM

R91 Wrong. It was seen as a disappointment. End.

Cry harder, freak. Your BPD is shining through.

by Anonymousreply 92May 21, 2023 10:36 PM

[quote] Just because Jessica won a Tony in 2016, it doesn’t guarantee her an Oscar nomination in 2024. If the film is barely released - or terrible - then others who have more backing will have a better chance. But I know you want this to be true so best wishes.

If the play was a big hit, I'm not sure why a recreation of that play as a movie would be considered terrible. This is hardly Dear Evan Hansen or The Color Purple. Not to mention this is just the start of Lange's cinematic comeback. She has 3-4 projects in the pipeline alongside Kathy Bates and Naomi Watts, all as a lead actress instead of the supporting roles she's been playing onscreen for the last two decades. Expect to see Lange at the Oscars regularly now.

by Anonymousreply 93May 21, 2023 10:37 PM

R91 well all those old folks who risked life & limb to see HOG sure we're in for disappointment, as it was shite

by Anonymousreply 94May 21, 2023 10:38 PM

R92 Why exactly does Lady Gaga have so many votes in this poll then? I know she has many haters on here so I figured she'd be dead last but instead she's right at the top alongside stalwarts Jessica Lange and Annette Bening. Clearly that means she has a very passionate fanbase and that translates outside of DL as well.

by Anonymousreply 95May 21, 2023 10:39 PM

R93 I bet you hoped Wild Oats, Jessica's star vehicle, would land her back in the awards circuit and herald a remarkable comeback. It was indeed remarkable - it has a very rare 0% rating on Rotten Tomatoes! Jess must have needed to pay off her bills badly

by Anonymousreply 96May 21, 2023 10:41 PM

R95 GIVE IT UP FREAK. Those votes are probably the equivalent of Vivian Vance votes.

by Anonymousreply 97May 21, 2023 10:41 PM

Gaga shouldn't even be in the poll because her movie doesn't come out for another year and a half.

by Anonymousreply 98May 21, 2023 10:41 PM

R98 She shouldn’t be in the poll because she is a mediocre actress who has no star quality at all.

by Anonymousreply 99May 21, 2023 10:43 PM

Jessica is most likely a long shot. The Politician and Marlowe were duds. I forgot about Wild Oats - that barely made it to cable. I remember LL telling people to catch it at 4:00 a.m.

by Anonymousreply 100May 21, 2023 10:46 PM

You can never ever ever predict who will be nominated. The Oscars are in free fall. They are seen as a complete joke.

And yes, LG was added to give the allusion she belongs in this company. That is a very typical psychological tactic. It’s along the lines of “everyone knows this person is_______” “It’s common knowledge”. Very obvious. OP put her in this poll for those reasons. Now he’s in meltdown when she’s criticized.

by Anonymousreply 101May 21, 2023 10:54 PM

[quote]If the play was a big hit, I'm not sure why a recreation of that play as a movie would be considered terrible. This is hardly Dear Evan Hansen or The Color Purple.

What's with the knocking of The Color Purple, aside from the obvious? It's a hit broadway adaptation of a beloved book and movie. It's bound to be good.

Spielberg and Winfrey are producing. It's a guaranteed Best Picture nominee right there.

Fantasia for Best Actress and Taraji for supporting.

Viola will go in supporting for AIR where she will most likely win her second oscar.

by Anonymousreply 102May 21, 2023 11:27 PM

R102 is Viola or Jada. Take your pic.

by Anonymousreply 103May 22, 2023 12:03 AM

R96 Wild Oats was done as a favor to Shirley MacLaine

by Anonymousreply 104May 22, 2023 12:05 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 105May 22, 2023 12:41 AM

R105 Your Trolldar shows you to be a racist, Lady Gaga nut, trashing other divas, right wing troll. You were busted.

by Anonymousreply 106May 22, 2023 1:18 AM

R105 Please look this evidence. You want me to be a Madonna freak, but that doesn’t show it.

See, I told you all this thing is BPD and fragile beyond belief!

by Anonymousreply 107May 22, 2023 1:20 AM

Gaga needs to get a grip. Most actresses don't get nominated for Oscars for every movie they make.

by Anonymousreply 108May 22, 2023 1:28 AM

R108 She’ll kill herself, and her fans will too, if she doesn’t get nominated or win every single time. Her life doesn’t exist if she isn’t being praised and winning awards. NPD combined with BPD. She’s. The most mentally fragile, weak female celebrity in the world. This mediocre cunt has no business in the acting categories when it was revealed her two song noms were shams- she changed ONE word in Diane Warren’s already finished song (it’s online), and Mark Ronson is the one who won for Shallow. There were five writers on that but Lady Gaga NEEDED an award.

by Anonymousreply 109May 22, 2023 1:33 AM

R105 is a hero for exposing the Madonna freak. And lol at thinking the Golden Globes have credibility. Because Madonna has no Oscars but a measly little Golden Globe, the Madonna freak is posting that the Oscars have no value but the Golden Globe does lol. The Golden Globes have always been jokes and they have even less credibility now that they couldn't even get a TV channel to air them live. Imagine pretending the Golden Globes have validity because it's only the award Madonna was able to pick up.

Gaga is already an Oscar winner and very soon, she will have a second Oscar to join her first, this one for acting. She got backlash for House of Gucci because the media wanted to punish Gaga for her starpower and her crossover appeal in the midwest amongst conservatives. They could not handle the idea that she could be considered a peer of Nicole Kidman, Olivia Colman, Penelope Cruz, and Jessica Chastain which is why the Madonna freak is casting aspersions about this poll.

by Anonymousreply 110May 22, 2023 1:35 AM

Julianne should have won for supporting for Boogie Nights, and nominated for supporting in Magnolia, and Kids Are Alright (though I guess she would be Lead in that).

by Anonymousreply 111May 22, 2023 1:36 AM

She deserved nominations for The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio and Savage Grace as well.

by Anonymousreply 112May 22, 2023 1:37 AM

And I should add that if Maps to the Stars hadn't come out the same year as Still Alice, she would have gotten a nomination for that as well. She won the Canadian Oscar for Maps to the Stars.

by Anonymousreply 113May 22, 2023 1:38 AM

R110 Talking to itself. Busted. I’m not reading that insane screed. Ahahahahahahahaahahahahahahahahahaa

by Anonymousreply 114May 22, 2023 1:38 AM

Is Map of the Stars the one where the kid drowns?

by Anonymousreply 115May 22, 2023 1:40 AM

I think its Map of the World

by Anonymousreply 116May 22, 2023 1:41 AM

Ok crazy. You can check my post history against R105's post history and you'll see we are very different people. Whereas R105 exposed you for literally all the anti-Gaga posts on this thread. Like you're not even slick about it. All it takes is one ignore to block out all the vitriol in this thead.

by Anonymousreply 117May 22, 2023 1:41 AM

R116 A Map of the World was the movie where Sigourney Weaver was lead and Julianne Moore was supporting but thank you for reminding me about that because she did deserve attention for that film. Both actresses did actually.

Maps to the Stars came out in 2014 and had her playing an aging actress. Before Frances McDormand shit in a bucket, Julianne played a very similar scene. Julianne is basically playing Christina Crawford.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118May 22, 2023 1:44 AM

R117 You were exposed as a right wing racist troll. Trolldar the Lady Gaga nut.

You poor thing. You’ve had a complete, ugly meltdown of epic proportions over your fragile freak getting criticism.

Cry harder.

by Anonymousreply 119May 22, 2023 1:44 AM

Ugh, anyone but Lady Gaga

by Anonymousreply 120May 22, 2023 1:45 AM

R110, actually, Gaga’s Russian accent when playing an Italian woman was certainly just one of the many reasons she wasn’t nominated.

by Anonymousreply 121May 22, 2023 1:46 AM

Probably a "woman of color."

by Anonymousreply 122May 22, 2023 1:48 AM

R121 That was fake news I'm afraid.

[quote] First of all, I’ll say this, that [Gaga's] lines that she had in Italian were actually the best of any of the other actors. She really nailed the lines that were in spoken Italian. That kind of sways me to believe that there was a little more intention with her accent, because I see that she has a command of the language itself and that she understands the mechanics and definitely put some effort and time into it. A lot of the time she really gets the vowel sounds correct. You have to kind of slow down and pronounce each one the way they’re pronounced in Italian. For example, when she said, [using an accent] “I get bored”: The vowels were all executed perfectly. The other thing in that line are the Rs. If you can’t roll or trill your Rs in Italian, you’re going to sound American no matter what. She did a very good job of trilling, I would say almost all of, her Rs. For reference, Rs in Italian are made the way you pronounce the letter D in English. Your tongue just kind of lightly taps the gumline above your front teeth, whereas with Rs in English, it’s more guttural, in the back of your mouth. Another thing she did well is when she pronounces her th- sounds. Italians really struggle with that because they don’t have that aspirated th- sound. She says that more like a D. The downside with that, though, was that it was inconsistent, and she at times would slip out of those perfect vowel sounds and say things like kill instead of keel. She also had a very American-sounding H sound, which is another sound Italians don’t usually use. For example, in Italian, hotel is pronounced OH-tehl, like you don’t even hear the H. But she would often say the H words with a very natural American accent. It’s pretty tricky not to slip into those American sounds when you’re so accustomed to saying those words a certain way, especially when those vowel sounds are kind of hidden, tacked onto consonants that we use all the time in English. Another thing that came up was the fact that Italians, when they speak, they really love to use their hands and gesticulate. Going into it, I thought I would see a lot of people gesticulate the wrong way, because it’s almost like sign language. Italians literally have 40, 50 different hand gestures that all mean something very unique, very specific. If you use it the wrong way, it’s super-obvious to an Italian. But what I saw was that basically nobody gesticulated, including her—there just wasn’t any gesticulation. Overall, her accent conveyed an Italian spirit to me, if that makes sense? Despite the inconsistency.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 123May 22, 2023 1:48 AM

While Julianne may have shat in a bucket first, no one can deny I did it better!

by Anonymousreply 124May 22, 2023 1:50 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 125May 22, 2023 1:51 AM

R124 For Julianne, it wasn't a bucket but her house toilet but she has an extended scene of her sitting on there having a conversation with her assistant, played by Mia Wasikowska, with the door open. Frankly, it's more gruesome than Frances' scene.

by Anonymousreply 126May 22, 2023 1:52 AM

R123 I’m afraid for this person’s mental health. You MUST love Lady Gaga!!!!!! Or else!!!!!!!!! The greatest, and only star, alive today!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 127May 22, 2023 1:52 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 128May 22, 2023 1:52 AM

R125 Is the most self unaware posters seeing as it has posted far more in this thread. 36 times.

by Anonymousreply 129May 22, 2023 1:53 AM

Setting the record straight on Gaga's Italian accent. More from the link I posted above. Haters, please educate yourselves before casting judgment.

"Lady Gaga has talked a bit in interviews about how she wanted her character’s accent to reflect class differences and regional differences depending on who she was speaking to. How do you think she did with that?" "I definitely noticed a change when she was at that party, the lunch at the ski slope with all of [Adam Driver’s character] Maurizio’s friends. It got a little elevated for sure, a little more fluid. I did notice that that shift in that scene and certainly when she’s in the scenes at home, the little she spoke, I can see how maybe she pushed the accent a little bit more. She was doing something there."

"She also has talked about how she stayed in character for nine months. What do you think of that as a strategy for getting the accent down?" "I believe that, especially because when she spoke Italian, her spoken Italian was quite good. I got the feeling that she’d been speaking a lot of Italian and practicing her Italian. With regard to the accented English, I think you might run into an issue if in character for nine months and you’re doing a few things incorrectly, you might just be reinforcing something that’s not quite right. But I think that, if done correctly, that could be a very good strategy. Ideally, I think anybody attempting to do an Italian-accented English should get as much of a command of the Italian language as possible."

"Her accent got a lot of attention when Salma Hayek’s dialect coach from the film said she thought Lady Gaga sounded more Russian than Italian. What did you make of that?" "I think that that criticism might be in part due to some of the vowels not being crystal clear. I can see where there’s something going on with some of the vowels, maybe the I sounds, where there’s a little bit of a fluctuation in the vowel sound that can give it the kind of sounds you get in Russian. But it didn’t sound like a Russian accent to me. It sounded like a unique, not exactly standard Italian accent. There was a kind of a uniqueness to it, which perhaps is based on the original Italian dialect that her character in real life spoke. I don’t think it sounded Russian per se."

by Anonymousreply 130May 22, 2023 1:55 AM

I always thought Julianne and Marion were both nominated for the wrong movies in 2014. Their work in their nominated performances is very good, I just prefer Julianne in "Maps" and Marion in "The Immigrant".

by Anonymousreply 131May 22, 2023 1:55 AM

R130 Cry harder

by Anonymousreply 132May 22, 2023 1:56 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 133May 22, 2023 1:57 AM

R24 both were also very promiscuous and had tortured love lives. They both got involved with almost every man they encountered working. So they were tabloid catnip.

by Anonymousreply 134May 22, 2023 3:08 AM

R84 I agree that Emily Watson should have won for Breaking the Waves. That's a tour de force performance and to think that was her film debut.

by Anonymousreply 135May 22, 2023 6:36 AM

What do people think this Nyad movie is going to be like? A lot of swimming? I’m not sure the subject herself ever captured the public’s imagination much beyond her achievements - what kind of character is she going to be? “Determined swimmer”?

I think if the script were any good, Streep would’ve picked it up. It probably went to Bening after Sigourney Weaver passed.

It’s just funny people think a film about Diana Nyad being played by an octogenarian is not only going to be good but also capture an audience - sure - and win an Oscar. O-kay.

by Anonymousreply 136May 22, 2023 7:15 AM

So that’s May December out of the race.

by Anonymousreply 137May 22, 2023 7:17 AM

Oddly enough, Eileen doesn’t even have a distributor yet. And it bowed at this year’s Sundance. I think, apart from Hathaway’s contribution, this film must have real problems.

by Anonymousreply 138May 22, 2023 7:19 AM

R137 Why? It's getting rave reviews, particularly the performances

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139May 22, 2023 7:25 AM

R138 Neon bought the rights to Eileen way back in January. It had strong reviews and the reason it took a while to sell was because of how pricey it was, probably because of Anne Hathaway's involvement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140May 22, 2023 7:27 AM

Does anyone think Ed Harris has a chance of winning Best Actor for Long Day's Journey Into Night. He's already a four-time Oscar nominee so perhaps he'll win on his fifth try if he gets a nomination?

by Anonymousreply 141May 22, 2023 7:43 AM

R113 Map To The Stars is the one where Julianne let's Robert Pattinson enter her ginger beaver?

R126 you forget Cate Blanchett's scene in Notes On A Scandal where we not only see her sit in the toilet but wipe as well! Completely weird as there was no point to the scene.

On another note I believe Julianne is the only actress to ever win all 3 "Big Festival" awards - Cannes, Berlin, Venice, maybe she'll win here again

by Anonymousreply 142May 22, 2023 8:43 AM

I'm confused...how many Loons do we have on this thread? Or, are they all the same Loon?

by Anonymousreply 143May 22, 2023 8:48 AM

May December is getting mixed reviews and is hardly going to set the box office on fire.

Plus, how do you market it? It’s a chilly film about an actress doing shadow research on a paedophile? Hmm. Not sure lame comparisons to Persona are going to propel it through awards season.

by Anonymousreply 144May 22, 2023 10:51 AM

That’s great, R140. Glad to hear it as I’m really looking forward to seeing it. But apparently it has third act problems. I need to read the book.

by Anonymousreply 145May 22, 2023 10:53 AM

I don’t think Ed Harris is very well cast in the role of James Tyrone, R141. I guess we’ll see. It requires a kind of gravitas I wouldn’t usually associate with him.

by Anonymousreply 146May 22, 2023 10:55 AM

R144 People said that about Tar as well. That the subject matter is too heavy and too niche to appeal to audiences and it won't have any box office appeal so it won't get any nominations but that turned out to be completely untrue. And it's normal in the Best Actress race to have nominees from films that didn't do well commercially. Renee won for Judy, Frances won for Nomadland, Jessica won for The Eyes of Tammy Faye, etc.

by Anonymousreply 147May 22, 2023 11:23 AM

I think Emily Watson's chances for the Oscar for Breaking the Waves were hurt by the fact that the film itself was a stinker. All that Dogme 95 BS.

by Anonymousreply 148May 22, 2023 11:45 AM

Have we forgotten that Jodie Foster is also in Nyad?

by Anonymousreply 149May 22, 2023 11:48 AM

The real Nyad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150May 22, 2023 11:49 AM

How can you vote when we haven't seen the movies yet?

by Anonymousreply 151May 22, 2023 12:01 PM

R149 Jodie Foster's nomination would be for Best Supporting Actress.

by Anonymousreply 152May 22, 2023 12:02 PM

r152, you know that how, bitch ? Did you watch the movie ? If not, STFU

by Anonymousreply 153May 22, 2023 12:12 PM

R150 Jessica Lange would have been a dead ringer!

R153 some people have read the screenplay, it was on The Black List several years ago. The gf is supporting

by Anonymousreply 154May 22, 2023 12:31 PM

The Miracle Club has a July release date. Laura Linney seems to have the most interesting role.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 22, 2023 8:50 PM

I wish we had an update on "A German Life" starring Dame Maggie as Goebbels' secretary, she was terrific in the stage play

by Anonymousreply 156May 22, 2023 8:56 PM

R156 I've been hoping to hear something on that too. It sounds very promising. Wasn't it being filmed during the pandemic?

by Anonymousreply 157May 22, 2023 8:57 PM

It's still marked as in-production. I know they will expand it a little for the movie but Maggie shouldn't need to be on set more than a few days to film the performance she did flawlessly in 90 minutes on stage. It was just her and a table and she mesmerised the audience.

by Anonymousreply 158May 22, 2023 9:11 PM

Why is this a thread when most of these movies haven’t been seen and usually the movies released late in the season get the most nominations?

by Anonymousreply 159May 22, 2023 9:51 PM

R57 Busted! OP put her in this category not out of merit but out of his “LOVE FOR HER”. I called it.

by Anonymousreply 160May 22, 2023 10:17 PM

Isnt Joker coming out in October 2024? That means neither the film or Lady Gaga will be eligible that year.

by Anonymousreply 161May 22, 2023 10:20 PM

I think Fantasia will win for The Color Purple, although there might be strong, strong sentiment behind Greta Lee for Past Lives, which has gotten extraordinary reviews. The best thing about a Fantasia win (aside from the fact that, judging from her stage performance, she will probably deserve it) is that perhaps the judges won't find it necessary to even nominate Cynthia Erivo for Wicked.

by Anonymousreply 162May 22, 2023 10:28 PM

The Color Purple's Trailer just dropped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163May 22, 2023 10:53 PM

This is Fantasia's Funny Girl. She will get the oscar, no doubt. This is clearly a tour de force performance.

Viola and Taraji duking it out for Supporting Actress.

Sorry, Cate, Julianne, whoever. Have several seats.

by Anonymousreply 164May 22, 2023 11:00 PM

R163 That trailer is AMAZING!

by Anonymousreply 165May 22, 2023 11:00 PM

R164 Based on not seeing the film?

by Anonymousreply 166May 22, 2023 11:12 PM

I was surprised at how young Fantasia looks during parts of the trailer and how much older she looks at other parts. That's Oscar bait right there but I was shocked at how expressive her face is. After being stunned by her performance onstage, I can't wait to see her onscreen. They'd better start engraving her name on the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 167May 22, 2023 11:32 PM

Young Celie is played by Phylicia Pearl Mpasi not Fantasia.

by Anonymousreply 168May 22, 2023 11:51 PM

As I scroll this thread, I realize how insane Gaga's power is. She makes queens go crazy - for or against her.

by Anonymousreply 169May 23, 2023 12:07 AM

R169 one person for, two against. That’s nothing.

by Anonymousreply 170May 23, 2023 12:33 AM

That would be nice if Fantasia won for The Color Purple. I find that more plausible than some of these white women chosen by OP.

by Anonymousreply 171May 23, 2023 1:03 AM

R95 To me Gaga is a natural on screen, something most pop stars aren’t.

by Anonymousreply 172May 23, 2023 1:06 AM

R172 a natural disaster. She has zero star quality. She’s ugly. Give it up, OP.

by Anonymousreply 173May 23, 2023 1:30 AM

R100 You bitch!

(I remember doing that! It aired on fucking Lifetime, AND I still went to see it in theaters when it quizzically received a limited release afterwards! 😂)

For the record, Lange was wonderful in Wild Oats. One of her funniest, breeziest, most light-hearted performances in years. And she looked DIVINE. And as always, MacLaine was aces; she and Lange had fantastic chemistry. Moore was also quite good in her small role; she surprised me, actually. As for the film itself, it wasn’t bad per se, but it could’ve used a little oomf.

Also, I did NOT start this thread—I could give two shits what you haggard, though undeniably brilliant and beautiful-in-your-own-ways, bitches think. Hmph! As for the vociferous Lange fan I’ve seen popping up in threads her as of late…anyone who knows me would recognize that’s not quite my style, but the love for and effort on behalf of Icon is much appreciated!

Lastly, Mama has “Long Day’s Journey Into Night” premiering at TIFF this September, begins filming (hopefully! 🤞🏻) “Places, Please” with Bates this week, if the impending SAG strike doesn’t disrupt most productions, (Take that, Meh! Who am I kidding? That’s my other queen, and I wish these bitches were finally co-starring and doing this together! 😭), is still attached to The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll with Naomi Watts (its script status was updated on IMDb on 4/20/23, and has an undisclosed “project with Michael Suscy [Grey Gardens director] in the pipeline,” which could very well turn out to be his upcoming adaptation of 'Playing to the Gods,' a novel centered on the near-mythic rivalry between theater legends Sarah Bernhardt and Eleonora Duse. (Damn. How’s that for a run-on sentence?) We’ll see what all of this brings!

Anyway, :::sending LOVE to all the admirers and haters::: xoxo

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174May 23, 2023 2:55 AM

Oh, and The Miracle Club seems like sleeper hit material.

by Anonymousreply 175May 23, 2023 2:59 AM

How the fuck did op NOT include Fantasia Barrino in this poll? That trailer gave me chills. 😭

by Anonymousreply 176May 23, 2023 3:04 AM

Does Whoopie get a cameo?

by Anonymousreply 177May 23, 2023 3:06 AM

The Colour Purple trailer looks really good and the singing is impressive

by Anonymousreply 178May 23, 2023 6:50 AM

[quote] Lastly, Mama has “Long Day’s Journey Into Night” premiering at TIFF this September, begins filming (hopefully! 🤞🏻) “Places, Please” with Bates this week, if the impending SAG strike doesn’t disrupt most productions, (Take that, Meh! Who am I kidding? That’s my other queen, and I wish these bitches were finally co-starring and doing this together! 😭)

R174 who is your other queen who you wish would co-star with Jessica?

by Anonymousreply 179May 23, 2023 9:10 AM

To piss off the haters, I'd like to see both Jessica Lange and Lady Gaga co-star together. I suppose Ryan Murphy might be the only person to be able to make that happen but I'd prefer to see them in a film together.

by Anonymousreply 180May 23, 2023 9:11 AM

R180 That would piss them off? 🤣🤣🤣🤣

by Anonymousreply 181May 23, 2023 10:43 AM

R181 Look at all the trolls in this thread who could not abide by Jessica Lange and Lady Gaga's inclusions in the poll. The Lange Loon (the real one that is) is apoplectic at the idea that she is making a cinematic comeback with 3-4 projects all lined up and ready to go. The Madonna freak could only put down Lady Gaga by claiming a Golden Globe has more value than an Oscar so that tells you all about his deluded state of mind.

by Anonymousreply 182May 23, 2023 8:27 PM

Meanwhile May December was picked up by Netflix.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 183May 23, 2023 8:27 PM

I love Jessica Lange. She's the best actress of our generation. I would go for Lange anytime. However, I have to give this one to Annette Bening, who has been overlooked for far too long. Annette deserved the Oscar for 'Grifters' and then most certainly for 'American Beauty.' It's time. Give it to Bening.

by Anonymousreply 184May 23, 2023 9:27 PM

Bening...then next year, Glenn Close. Come on!

by Anonymousreply 185May 23, 2023 9:28 PM

R179 Meryl. Duh!

by Anonymousreply 186May 23, 2023 10:21 PM

^R174

by Anonymousreply 187May 23, 2023 10:21 PM

Jessica is the best actress of your generation? Are you basing that on The Politician, Wild Oats or Marlowe? Her bitchy characters on American Horror Story? And she doesn't have 3-4 film projects lined up and ready to go. Her film projects barely get financed. I don't care if you are her champion, but you can't keep making up stories.

by Anonymousreply 188May 24, 2023 12:59 AM

R188 You are so tired. Please get some new material. Or better yet, get laid so some of your vitriol and natural bitchiness tapers off.

by Anonymousreply 189May 24, 2023 1:27 AM

I am a bit surprised by the lack of love for Kate Winslet. DL typically loves her but I'm seeing no particular regard for her here.

by Anonymousreply 190May 24, 2023 1:29 AM

R188 Can’t you find a more dignified way of making yourself feel better?

by Anonymousreply 191May 24, 2023 1:38 AM

R182 BPD

by Anonymousreply 192May 24, 2023 1:57 AM

I'd like to see Naomi Watts at the Oscars again with a nomination but all her movies seem to go straight to streaming/video or she works primarily in Ryan Murphy's TV shows now.

by Anonymousreply 193May 24, 2023 7:48 AM

Naomi thought she was having her Oscar moment when she starred as Princess Diana. Bet her knickers were dripping with anticipation...until the reviews came in

by Anonymousreply 194May 24, 2023 7:57 AM

Naomi and Nicole were both cursed with their princess biopics. I guess Nicole had less to lose since she already had an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 195May 24, 2023 8:03 AM

Alicia Vikander in Firebrand is looking to be a serious contender.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196May 24, 2023 10:15 AM

I love Kate Winslet. She’s trying different mediums like TV. She’s phenomenal.

by Anonymousreply 197May 24, 2023 10:51 AM

But then Kristen Stewart got an Oscar nom as Diana in Spencer. I thought the blonde Kristen actually looked like Naomi.

by Anonymousreply 198May 24, 2023 10:53 AM

Lady Gaga or Emilia Jones deserved that Oscar nomination over Kristen Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 199May 24, 2023 11:14 AM

What about Helen Mirren in Golda? A heavily made-up Helen plays the Israeli prime minister Golda Meir during the Arab-Israeli war of 1973. Liev Schreiber appears as Henry Kissinger. Guy Nattiv directed.

by Anonymousreply 200May 25, 2023 4:51 AM

R200 I think that was for TV and it got crap reviews, 42 on RT. Main criticism is the turgid screenplay. I didn't see any glowing notices for Mirren

by Anonymousreply 201May 25, 2023 6:28 AM

So, according to Little Gold Men, the surprise of May December is that it’s actually a comedy.

I haven’t seen this mentioned in the reviews I’ve read.

by Anonymousreply 202May 25, 2023 8:40 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if the time is ripe for Winslet to get another nomination and, depending on the competition, a win. She's had something of a resurgence after a decade of "meh" movies where she only got one nomination (Steve Jobs) following her win 14 years ago for The Reader.

In the last year she won every TV aware for Mare Of Easton, before that she got string reviews for "Ammonite" and just recently won a TV BAFTA for "I Am Ruth".

by Anonymousreply 203May 25, 2023 8:56 PM

I gave her a string review for that as well. But it ripped.

by Anonymousreply 204May 25, 2023 10:57 PM

I will bet it will be the Native American actress, Lily Armstrong, who is getting all the raves at Cannes for "Killers of the August Moon."

by Anonymousreply 205May 25, 2023 11:02 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 206May 26, 2023 4:56 AM

Margot Robbie in Barbie. Mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 207May 26, 2023 5:18 AM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 208May 26, 2023 5:27 AM

R207 The Wolf of Wall Street grossed $116.9 million in North America and $289 million internationally, for a total of $406.9 million, making it Scorsese's highest-grossing film worldwide. Not a massive flop. Barbie is going to sweep the Oscars.

by Anonymousreply 209May 26, 2023 7:08 AM

R205? Her name is Lily Gladstone.

by Anonymousreply 210May 26, 2023 10:40 AM

I think you mean "Barbie is going to sweep the Razzies."

by Anonymousreply 211May 26, 2023 10:41 AM

R206 Winslet is still highly regarded, she just hasn't been in many notable movies for years. I wouldn't say she's done anything to tarnish her rep, although Collateral Beauty & Movie 43 are complete stinkers

by Anonymousreply 212May 26, 2023 11:29 AM

Kate won the Emmy for Mare of Easttown which helped to wash away the bad taste of Ammonite.

by Anonymousreply 213May 26, 2023 11:43 AM

I liked Ammonite.

by Anonymousreply 214May 26, 2023 9:28 PM

These movies haven’t been released yet.

by Anonymousreply 215May 26, 2023 11:05 PM

Cate Blanchett will get it as consolation for losing out to the 2023 woke Oscars

by Anonymousreply 216May 27, 2023 7:23 PM

Netflix will be pushing Roberts for Leave The World Behind. She produced the film with the Obamas who will be out and about promoting it. It's also getting a theatrical release before being available on the streaming service.

by Anonymousreply 217May 28, 2023 12:09 AM

Barbie will get a lot of technical and creative nominations, but acting? Please be fucking serious.

by Anonymousreply 218May 28, 2023 8:21 AM

[quote] As for Lady Gaga, the first Joker was a monumental hit and won Joaquin Phoenix his Oscar. The character of the Joker has now won two Oscars so it's not ludicrous at all to believe that his distaff counterpart, Harley Quinn, will get a nomination in this long-awaited sequel especially when played by Lady Gaga who is the last great movie star who gets older viewers to actually buy tickets to adult prestige films. They will not dare snub Lady Gaga a second time.

This is, by far, the most asinine, idiotic, deranged bullshit I've ever read in my life. Gaga fans are fucking delusional.

by Anonymousreply 219May 28, 2023 9:57 AM

They're gonna snub her for playing Harley Quinn just as sure as they would snub her for remaking Lady Sings The Blues in black face!

by Anonymousreply 220May 28, 2023 12:04 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 221May 29, 2023 5:47 PM

If anyone frequents Bluray.com, almost all the posts in the Joker sequel thread are about how Lady Gaga is keeping that movie afloat and everyone is only interested in watching because of her. Even the geriatric straights love her!

by Anonymousreply 222June 15, 2023 6:49 PM

Obviously I haven't seen the film yet but I would love a win for Bening. She's been snubbed before so it might be one of those "we owe you one for your past performances" deals.

I'm good with Lange too.

I wonder who is going to bribe the Foreign Press the best for a Golden Globe. Gaga I'm looking at you.

by Anonymousreply 223June 15, 2023 7:16 PM

Kate Winslet won a TV Bafta last month so she's now 2/3 on her way to the transatlantic triple crown.

And Jodie Comer is now 2/3 on the way to her transatlantic triple crown.

Jodie needs to do some films and Kate needs to get on the stage.

by Anonymousreply 224June 15, 2023 7:17 PM

Jodie Comer's best bet would be a film adaptation of Prima Facie...but I just found out they're making a movie without her and recasting her with token minority #1. I predict a big flop.

by Anonymousreply 225June 15, 2023 7:23 PM

Kate Winslet has 4 BAFTAs: 3 for film, 1 for TV. She is overdue for a 2nd Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 226June 15, 2023 7:25 PM

Poor Glenda Jackson. 2 Oscars, 1 Film BAFTA, 2 TV BAFTAs, 3 Emmys, a Tony but no fucking OIiviers out of 5 nominations.

by Anonymousreply 227June 15, 2023 7:34 PM

Jackson's death makes me afraid for Vanessa Redgrave, who's one year younger at 86, and especially Judi Dench and Maggie Smith who are both one year older at 88.

by Anonymousreply 228June 15, 2023 7:54 PM

[...]

by Anonymousreply 229June 15, 2023 8:02 PM

Kate was wonderful in the quiet romantic film, Labor Day. I'm also surprised she didn't get any glowing accolades for Wonder Wheel which she felt was one of her most emotionally trying performances. Perhaps it was too soon after Blue Jasmine or the fact by 2016, Woody Allen's reputation was far worse than in 2013.

by Anonymousreply 230June 15, 2023 8:08 PM

R230 Kate has been in a series of duds since 2013 and is only recently returning to form with Ammonite, Mare Of Easttown & I Am Ruth. I wouldn't be surprised if The Academy welcome her back with a nomination for her Lee movie if it's any good.

She shouldn't have won for The Reader, that was Weinstein again. She was deserving for Sense And Sensibility or Eternal Sunshine.

R223 if Annette had gone Supporting for American Beauty (she was in about 1/4 of the movie) she would have been a winner 23 years ago and spared us hearing how Angelina was in love with her brother.

by Anonymousreply 231June 15, 2023 8:21 PM

Kate also has HBO's The Palace coming out this year plus she's working on another TV project with Todd Haynes. Ammonite wasn't that well received though. Early talks for nominations for her and Ronan quickly fizzled out.

Annette won the BAFTA for American Beauty and was the favorite that year. Hilary Swank was the dark horse winner.

by Anonymousreply 232June 15, 2023 8:28 PM

Hillary won lots of critics' awards including NY and LA plus the Golden Globe, she wasn't a dark horse winner that year at all. The movie didn't qualify at BAFTA til the the following year as it hadn't been released there

by Anonymousreply 233June 15, 2023 8:34 PM

R233 I always heard that Annette was the frontrunner but I suppose you're right then. Do you or anybody know who was the frontrunner for1989 when Jessica Tandy won? I remember hearing that people expected Michelle Pfeiffer to win for The Fabulous Baker Boys especially as she had won basically all the precursors minus the BAFTA.

by Anonymousreply 234June 15, 2023 8:38 PM

R234 I think Michelle would have been the main bet, she won the Globe for drama among many other awards including NY and LA (where she tied with Andie McDowell for Sex, Lies And Videotape!)

Tandy won Boston & Kansas and several others plus the Comedy Golden Globe.

My pick for 1989 would have been the smashing Pauline Collins for Shirley Valentine but she didn't have much traction in the US.

I don't recall this but guessing Tandy, while not a shock win as she was a sentimental choice in a Best Picture winner, was likely far from a dead cert.

Back then BAFTA was held after Oscar so wasn't predictive. In the 80s it tended to favour Brits. Plus a lot of movies that won acting Oscars were released later so competed the following year when the heat had cooled. A good example is Streep competing and losing BAFTA for Sophie's choice a year after she won every award going for it.

by Anonymousreply 235June 15, 2023 8:49 PM

R235 Thank you for confirming. It seems Michelle won all four critics awards and the GG so she likely was the frontrunner. I wonder if she's the first actress to have won all the precursors but lose out on the Oscar. Maybe it occurred again with Cate Blanchett for Tar because I thought she won almost all the critics awards as well.

That was probably Michelle's best chance for an Oscar but I don't begrudge Jessica Tandy the win especially after how badly Hollywood treated her for most of her career. I'm glad she had a late career resurgence.

Meryl's loss af the BAFTAs for Sophie's Choice may also have been because she won the BAFTA for French Lt's Woman the year prior. What surprised me more is that while Jessica Lange was nominated in the Best Actress category, it was for Tootsie and not Frances. I guess the BAFTAs chose that specifically because she had already won the Oscar for it, albeit in the supporting category.

by Anonymousreply 236June 15, 2023 9:11 PM

If Kathy Bates is nominated for Best Supporting Actress for The Miracle Club, it would be wonderful if she and Jessica both won Oscars together. They are proving to be a power duo.

by Anonymousreply 237June 17, 2023 7:38 AM

There’s just one problem, these films still need to be released. No one is owed an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 238June 17, 2023 7:48 AM

See the films and then decide.

by Anonymousreply 239June 17, 2023 7:49 AM

R238 Jessica Lange proved herself with Long Day's Journey Into Night when she won the Tony for it and was the first American actress to be nominated for an Olivier award. Her performance is already award-worthy.

by Anonymousreply 240June 17, 2023 8:03 AM

R236 maybe Frances wasn't released in the UK? Each movie needs an official release to be nominated.

by Anonymousreply 241June 17, 2023 11:30 AM

R236 Holly Hunter swept the Critics Awards for Broadcast News but then lost to Cher (that was hardly a surprise, either) - so it definitely happens.

by Anonymousreply 242June 17, 2023 1:06 PM

I read a good review for Scarlett Johansson in Asteroid City.

by Anonymousreply 243June 17, 2023 1:12 PM

Fantasia will win for The Color Purple. Her Broadway reviews were among the best I've ever seen for any performance.

by Anonymousreply 244June 17, 2023 2:04 PM

I was going to post what R242 said, although Cher won the Globe over Holly

by Anonymousreply 245June 17, 2023 2:06 PM

Do you really think Jessica and Kathy, age 74, are both going to win Oscars for their D-list films? How exciting.

by Anonymousreply 246June 18, 2023 4:22 AM

Jessica Tandy won at 80.

by Anonymousreply 247June 18, 2023 4:29 AM

The New Boy? Ugh, yet another Masculine Oscar Thief!

by Anonymousreply 248June 18, 2023 4:56 AM

I could see Kathy Bates potentially getting a nom for something - but regardless of how good The Miracle Club may or may not be, Bates would be more likely to snag a supporting nom for Are You There, God? It's Me, Margaret.

by Anonymousreply 249June 18, 2023 4:57 AM

Laura Linney might get the nomination because she's considered more overdue. 3 Oscar nominations already without a win and she never won an Emmy for Ozark either despite 3 nominations.

by Anonymousreply 250June 18, 2023 5:05 AM

I don't know if Linney is considered overdue as she hasn't don't that many movies recently and her last nomination was 16 years ago. She's maybe considered more TV actress now (nothing wrong with that)

by Anonymousreply 251June 18, 2023 8:51 AM

I can definitely see Lange scoring nods for Long Day’s Journey Into Night and Places, Please. Her professional narrative is impeccable and precedes her, as does her iconic status as one of cinema’s premier actresses. Her highly successful forays into television and theater, which exposed her to a whole new generation of viewers, only underscore her stature and legend. We’ll see.

by Anonymousreply 252June 18, 2023 2:45 PM

^ Loon alert

by Anonymousreply 253June 18, 2023 3:20 PM

^ Retard alert.

by Anonymousreply 254June 18, 2023 3:46 PM

R252 a lot of young people don't know who Jessica is. Her narrative isn't impeccable as she cosy Glenn and Oscar in 1983 and won in the weakest year in living memory 1994

by Anonymousreply 255June 18, 2023 9:16 PM

The Lange Loon made bail it sounds like

by Anonymousreply 256June 18, 2023 9:17 PM

Apparently Jessica will win several awards for "LDJIN" including the Volpi Cup, NY critics, LA and BAFTA. She will lose the Oscar and Globe to someone who intends to play a slippery game, even claiming her legendary husband is on his last legs.

Jessica will triumph in 2025 though getting a clean sweep for Places, Please including her third Oscar. She will be helped in part when a climatic scene where she rips off her wig and screams at her audience goes viral on tik tok, making Jess a hit with the youngsters who start streaming her old movies and trading quotes from Titus, Blue Sky and King Kong.

She will also win another Emmy and SAG for the Dietrich biopic on TV and come out as a late in life lesbian during her Golden Globe Cecil B DeMille Award speech. Shortly after she will replace Glenn as Norma, due in part to her resurgence as a Box Office star, which unfortunately leads to her demise when a deranged Close cleaves her with the "Fatal Attraction knife" during the first day of shoots.

by Anonymousreply 257June 18, 2023 9:49 PM

[quote][R252] a lot of young people don't know who Jessica is

She's that lady from that tv show who is friends with that crazy lady who talks shit on social media.

by Anonymousreply 258June 18, 2023 9:58 PM

R258 that ginger lady who got her knockers out in that retro Rocky Horror movie we watched that night we were totally stoned? Jerrod said her nipples looked like space saucers and we were like "ewwew!"?

by Anonymousreply 259June 18, 2023 10:02 PM

R257 I agree that I can see Jess's performance going the way of Cate Blanchett's in Tar, where Jess wins all the critics awards but the Oscar goes to overdue Annette Bening. Annette already has a BAFTA whereas Jess only ever had 1 nomination (Best Actress for Tootsie) so I can see the Brits finally giving Jess her due with a BAFTA win as well.

by Anonymousreply 260June 19, 2023 1:08 AM

No one has seen "Jess's" new movies. You already are handing her out awards for unfinished projects. She hasn't been nominated for an Oscar since 1994, and she's 74. It would take a miracle for her to be nominated again. You can hope for the best, but picking out gowns for her at this juncture is ... delusional.

by Anonymousreply 261June 19, 2023 1:48 AM

Lange's last good performance for me was in Men Don't Leave

by Anonymousreply 262June 19, 2023 1:50 AM

I can sense from the tone of some users on this thread that they are very jealous that Jessica is having a career resurgence and will likely win a flurry of Oscars and Emmys over the next couple of years. Perhaps they cannot stand to see the most talented actress in Hollywood claim her dues. Keep in mind that she was also Lauren Bacall's favorite actress.

by Anonymousreply 263June 19, 2023 1:57 AM

nominees will be Viola Davis, Viola Davis, Angela Basset, Viola Davis, Viola Davis

by Anonymousreply 264June 19, 2023 2:12 AM

I'm a huge fan of Jessica Lange's but I think that if Annette obtains an Oscar nomination she might win a career Oscar of sorts. But, if Oprah works her Oprahness with Fantasia in "The Color Purple" then she'll be a lock.

by Anonymousreply 265June 19, 2023 2:23 AM

It would be pure cruelty at this point to snub a consummate professional like Bening who is widely liked once again.

by Anonymousreply 266June 19, 2023 2:26 AM

They are going to give the Oscar to Natalie Portman again over Bening.

by Anonymousreply 267June 19, 2023 2:29 AM

If Oprah had that much clout then Precious would have won all the awards besides just Mo'nique and The Butler, Orpah's Oscar bait, would have actually gotten nominations. Oprah thought The Butler was her shoe-in for an Oscar

by Anonymousreply 268June 19, 2023 2:30 AM

R267 the cheating scandal with Portman's husband will garner her sympathy votes. Like it did with Sandra Bullock (although I can't remember if the scandal with her husband came after shew on her Oscar).

Todd Haynes also claims that Portman has an Oscar-worthy scene that will likely win her the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 269June 19, 2023 2:31 AM

[quote] Keep in mind that she was also Lauren Bacall's favorite actress.

Legend has it Bacall cried "That girl has got Flavvvah!" while watching "Sweet Dreams".

by Anonymousreply 270June 19, 2023 11:56 AM

Sandra's husband's cheating wasn't exposed til after she won her Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 271June 19, 2023 11:57 AM

Wasn't it almost immediately after she won the Oscar?

by Anonymousreply 272June 19, 2023 12:11 PM

Annette Bening and Kate Winslet were Lauren Bacall's other two fav actresses so it would be interesting if those two and Jess were all nominated together. I wonder who Bacall would favor.

by Anonymousreply 273June 19, 2023 12:13 PM

Who gives one shit what Bacall thinks, she was a very limited actor herself.

by Anonymousreply 274June 19, 2023 12:24 PM

I will be shocked if Fantasia even gets an Oscar nom for CP. Acting on a stage is vastly different than film and tv and she’s in a film with some real powerhouses in Taraji and Danielle.

by Anonymousreply 275June 19, 2023 12:25 PM

R264 and the winner is....Marsha P. Johnson!

by Anonymousreply 276June 19, 2023 10:58 PM

The amount of space Lange takes up (or makes) in the vacuous little mind of the Lange Loon is fascinating. I pop in here once or twice a week, and every time, it’s writhing in a corner, foaming at the mouth, barking and spewing venom and vitriol about Lange and her fans.

What must it be like to have so little that constitutes a life that it compels you to focus so much energy on what you hate rather than on what you love? I wouldn’t want to find out, but I presume doing this feeds the troll in some way, or perhaps, it’s just a compulsory tick.

by Anonymousreply 277June 20, 2023 12:07 AM

I can understand hating that hack Meryl but why would anyone hate Jessica? She never enabled Weinstein or backstabbed her best friend to get an Oscar nomination.

by Anonymousreply 278June 20, 2023 4:32 AM

I’m so confused is the “Lange Loon” a Lange hater or crazed ass fan?

I don’t get the fascination with her on here regardless.

by Anonymousreply 279June 20, 2023 4:42 AM

R278 is the disturbed troll who thinks Meryl was Weinstein's moll, deliberately mentioned Disney wasn't such a nice guy so they wouldn't nominate Emma Thompson for an Oscar (!) and is the head of all that's evil in Hollywood!

by Anonymousreply 280June 20, 2023 6:41 AM

R278 you've yet to explain how mentioning Disney was an anti-Semite cost Thompson a nom yet The Academy goes on to nominated loads more Disney productions for awards every year? And wouldn't Thompson playing PL Travers, who actually dislikes Disney and thought he was awful, have worked in her favour?

Explain it to us please cause I for one can't get the logic..

by Anonymousreply 281June 20, 2023 6:44 AM

This is between Robbie, Mirren, and Fantasia. Fantasia is the favorite. We’ll see when the movie comes out. She was thrilling in The Color Purple on Broadway and she had no prior stage credits. She’s a natural.

by Anonymousreply 282August 9, 2023 10:14 PM

Give it to Annette. It's long overdue.

by Anonymousreply 283August 9, 2023 10:41 PM

Hmm, don't I have a movie coming out in 2024?

by Anonymousreply 284August 9, 2023 10:42 PM

Glenn is running out of time. When will we see 'Sunset Boulevard?'

by Anonymousreply 285August 9, 2023 10:42 PM

R275- prepare to be shocked. Fantasia is the favorite.

by Anonymousreply 286August 9, 2023 11:05 PM

Robbie will be nominated as Lead and Gosling as supporting, mark my words.

by Anonymousreply 287August 10, 2023 12:55 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!