Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

MEM'RIES: 18 years ago this weekend, Oprah hosted her 'Legends' Ball, with a star-studded guest list

How many of you attended "Oprah's Legends Ball" 18 years ago this weekend ? Ms. Winfrey, ever the gracious hostess kicked off the weekend that Friday afternoon with an elegant 'Legends Luncheon', held on her California 42 acre estate known as 'The Promised Land'. The celebration included the Friday luncheon, Saturday evening's white-tie ball, and Sunday's gospel brunch. Among the Legends being honored were also the 'legends on the rise' called 'the young'uns' by Oprah.

The 25 Legends who were honored were: Maya Angelou, Shirley Caesar, Diahann Carroll, Elizabeth Catlett, Ruby Dee, Katherine Dunham, Roberta Flack, Aretha Franklin, Nikki Giovanni, Dorothy Height, Lena Horne, Coretta Scott King, Gladys Knight, Patti LaBelle, Toni Morrison, Rosa Parks, Leontyne Price, Della Reese, Diana Ross, Naomi Sims, Tina Turner, Cicely Tyson, Alice Walker, Dionne Warwick, and Nancy Wilson. (Lena Horne was unable to attend due to 'illness' ).

The "young'uns" invited included Alicia Keys, Ashanti, Angela Bassett, Halle Berry, Mary J. Blige, Brandy, Naomi Campbell, Mariah Carey, Natalie Cole, Kimberly Elise, Missy Elliott, Tyra Banks, Iman, Janet Jackson, Phylicia Rashad, Debbie Allen, Alfre Woodard, Yolanda Adams among others. Throughout the weekend, the "young'uns" paid homage to the "legends" for their great contributions.

After lunch, an army of waitstaff reappeared, this time carrying red alligator boxes. Oprah asked that all her guests open their gifts at once. There was a moment of silence. Then Angela Bassett let out a scream, Debbie Allen a fantastic shriek. Under her cloudlike hat, Cicely Tyson covered her face with her hands. Diahann Carroll stood up and exclaimed, "You have lost your incredible mind!" Inside each box was a pair of diamond earrings: A large hoop dripping with diamonds for the younger women, an elegant double teardrop for the Legends.

Barbara Walters, Barbra Streisand and her husband Jim Brolin, Nate Berkus, John Travolta and his wife Kelly Preston, and a young Senator named Barack Obama and his wife Michele were all in attendance, as well. (Allegedly, it was this weekend when Oprah 'and others' pulled Obama aside and advised him to 'seriously consider running for the President in the next election.)

Talking to the press once the festivities were over, many of the attendees gave praise to their host and fellow guests.

"This is a magnificent thing, to bring these particular people together," Della Reese said. "This is love."

Diahann Carroll said Oprah pulled her aside with singer Diana Ross and asked them to join her in the kitchen. There, the two legends patched up their friendship which had broken nearly 35 years earlier, when Carroll accused Ross of stealing the movie 'Lady Sings The Blues' from her. (Ross always said she had nothing to do with it - it was Berry Gordy's idea). "It's been a long, long time" said Carroll to reporters, "but we made amends. We exchanged phone numbers and plan on meeting for dinner soon. A lot of time has past." Ross told the press she was happy to reconnect with Carroll after 'so many years wasted'.

The weekend did not go without criticism, though. Many reporters wanted to know why Whoopi Goldberg, Eartha Kitt and Donna Summer were not invited among others - all considered legends in Black Women History. (Oprah had no comment to the press about her guest list. Whoopi later said she felt 'slighted' but 'got over it', while Summer and Kitt had no comments).

Highlights from the weekend aired on ABC a year later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59May 30, 2023 2:56 PM

One of the biggest jokes ever. A bunch of pompous asses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 19, 2023 9:02 PM

Those are very interesting omissions. I assume there's a full documentary that covered more of the event-- I'd love to see it. One of my favorite things is the clip of the spontaneous gospel performances at brunch and Patti Labelle shutting the place down. Would love to have been a fly on the wall during the meeting where they decided who goes into what category, there's quite a few questionable "younguns" on that list.

by Anonymousreply 2May 19, 2023 9:35 PM

She just was copying Capote.

She's never had an original idea in her fat life.

by Anonymousreply 3May 19, 2023 9:40 PM

I tried to sneak in, but my stilettos and long wig got caught in the hedges and burrs. :(

by Anonymousreply 4May 20, 2023 12:31 AM

I tried to sneak in, but my stilettos and long wig got caught in the hedges and burrs. :(

by Anonymousreply 5May 20, 2023 12:32 AM

R2 I don't think there were any documentaries done on this. I believe Oprah had total control of the event in every way possible. What she released a year later on her ABC special was all we got to see.

by Anonymousreply 6May 20, 2023 12:45 AM

I never knew that Diana Ross and Diahann Carroll feuded with each other for nearly 35 years. I wonder if they ever did meet up for dinner afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 7May 20, 2023 12:47 AM

Data loungers : WE SPEAK YOUR NAME

by Anonymousreply 8May 20, 2023 1:06 AM

How did Oprah and Whoopi get along on the set of The Color Purple? That really was a slight not to invite Whoopi. Even if she didn’t think Whoopi was old enough to be a “legend” yet, Oprah could have invited her as one of those paying tribute.

by Anonymousreply 9May 20, 2023 1:10 AM

Yes, not inviting Whoopi was a slight. Maybe Whoopi was a bitch to her on the Color Purple set and Oprah held a grudge. it is a shock because Whoopi is one of the few Black actresses to win an Oscar.

The Donna Summer omission is not a surprise. She did deserve it because Donna accomplished a lot in her career than just being the Queen of Disco. Also, Donna wasn't someone who really courted fame especially in her later years.

I didn't know Carroll was considered for the Billie Holiday role. I thought Diana was great but it would have been interesting to see Carroll's take on the role.

by Anonymousreply 10May 20, 2023 1:16 AM

Wash Orpah on the Gayle cuntjuice diet yet?

I wanted to see Maya recite an Ode to a Frozen Giraffe 🦒

by Anonymousreply 11May 20, 2023 1:24 AM

They thought that one was was angry at the other. (You thought I was mad at you? I thought you were mad at me!) This came from people telling them false things, which hurt them, but they never actually communicated with each other to confirm whether or not any of that was true.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 20, 2023 1:25 AM

I think Summer's only appearance on Oprah's show was in 1999, when she was promoting her 'Live and More Encore' CD / VH 1 special in May, 1999. I remember when the interview first started, they both said people couldn't believe they had never met each other before this interview. Oprah quipped that 'it surprises people because everyone thinks all black entertainers know each other'. When Summer died 11 years ago, I don't recall Oprah making any statement.

As for Carroll, it was said the writers of LSTB had Carroll in mind from the beginning (1970). When the project was finished, Gordy got his hands on it and convinced everyone that this would be a great project for Ross and to launch the movie division of Motown. Carroll was miffed, and blamed Ross for stealing the movie. Though they were quite friendly in the 60s, Carroll never talked to Ross again...until 2005.

Whitney Houston was also missing from the event - it was quickly said she was 'not well to attend or be honored' . We know what that means.

by Anonymousreply 13May 20, 2023 1:37 AM

Only DL would commemorate this historic event! God, I love this stupid site.

by Anonymousreply 14May 20, 2023 1:40 AM

R14 And it loves you back ~

by Anonymousreply 15May 20, 2023 1:43 AM

Star-studded guest list and a bread-studded menu!

by Anonymousreply 16May 20, 2023 1:44 AM

R9 R10 Whoopi was not invited because she did what Oprah could not do: Whoopi won a competitive Oscar and made history as the first black EGOT. Ever since Angelica Huston won for Prizzi's Honor and Whoopi later managed to win for Ghost, both have been persona non grata with O. Also, Whoopi's solo talk show was doing well. In short, Whoopi was competition where it mattered most, so Oprah froze her out.

R12 The only reason why Oprah came up with that half-assed excuse about the rumor mill driving a wedge between them is because it was the (other) elephant in the room. Oprah HATES to lose and would never admit that she froze Whoopi out because of her long-held desire to go from National Forensics Champion to Oscar-winning actress. That would never come to pass.

Like Joan Rivers, Oprah longed to be taken seriously as an actress. Getting wealthy from the talk show was her consolation prize. Same goes for bitter Ellen who loved the money the talk show gave her, but never got over her sitcom getting canceled and how the industry shunned her in the immediate years after.

Burnishing her image to become deified in the culture was Oprah's way of trying to become bigger than the professional thorn in her side: Hollywood and audiences would never fully embrace Oprah at the box office or at the Oscars. She had to become a billionaire philanthropist to receive any awards that weren't Daytime Emmys for her talk show. People kiss Oprah's ass, because she's rich, but they secretly resent her high-minded, holier than though attitude.

Donna Summer was a drug addict whore turned born-again, anti-gay Christian, so fuck her. Besides, Oprah's not big on dance music. Aretha snubbed Oprah, likely because Patti and Diana Ross was there. The Queen of Soul Food doesn't share her plate or the spotlight.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2023 1:30 PM

No Eartha Kitt? shameful....

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2023 1:44 PM

[quote]Aretha snubbed Oprah, likely because Patti and Diana Ross was there.

Aretha was notorious for not travelling, unless she was getting paid to do a concert. She didn't fly on airplanes, and didn't like spending days on the road travelling from Detroit unless there was money to be made. Hitting the road for days just to spend a weekend with other black women at Oprah's estate (and picking up a pair of ear-rings for it) was not motivational enough for Franklin. She'd rather stay home in Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2023 1:52 PM

What about the worthless menfolk? What about Steadman?

by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2023 1:53 PM

R20 They were cast off to the side. At least Brolin, Berkus and Obama were. (Didn't see any other men in the photos).

by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2023 1:55 PM

Ladies Tyler and Shemar were there.

by Anonymousreply 22May 20, 2023 2:00 PM

[quote] She just was copying Capote. She's never had an original idea in her fat life.

And Capote “was just copying Cinderella?” Rich and powerful people throwing big parties to celebrate each other is not exactly a novel idea.

The only thing Datalounge hates more than black people is rich successful black people. All of whom you attack with the same white supremacist tropes, daily. Your favorite go to list of reasons why their success is not legitimate nor deserved.

All of this always reveals more about you, than it does about the black celebs that you attack.

by Anonymousreply 23May 20, 2023 2:12 PM

R23 You quote R3 who only mentioned her size - fat. He never ever mentioned her race.

Why did you drag race into this ?

All of this always reveals more about you, than it does about the posters that you attack.

by Anonymousreply 24May 20, 2023 3:54 PM

I always laugh at how Aretha, at 1:43 of this video, walks up to Oprah, and makes her mention her song "A Deeper Love" from her Greatest Hits album while Patti Labelle is starting to sing. When the camera shoots to Patti's face, you can see her look of surprise, as in "I can't believe this bitch just did that!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 20, 2023 4:14 PM

Where was Harriet Tubman? I can’t believe she got snubbed.

by Anonymousreply 26May 20, 2023 4:20 PM

[R2] I don't think there were any documentaries done on this

A total loss. This is up there near Stonewall in terms of events of importance to the gays!

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2023 2:45 AM

Ugh..

by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2023 3:40 AM

Didn't know Barbra and Barbara were the white attendees. Did they recieve earrings, too?

by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2023 3:45 AM

Oprah will be forgotten when Gen Alpha born early 2010s to 2025 come of age.

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2023 3:47 AM

This “young’uns” bullshit is outrageous. Alfre Woodard was an Oscar nominee, and Janet Jackson and Mary J Blige sold more albums than most of those legends listed.

But we all know they were really there to pay tribute to Oprah herself. She ran the whole show with herself as the star, the goddess, the rumbling obsidian mountain that looms over the village of terrified little people.

by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2023 4:35 AM

Aretha wouldn't have went even without the issue of flying. She would have to share the spotlight with Tina, Dionne, Gladys, Diana, Patti, etc. Aretha hated other women, and hated other divas who had huge fan bases and some who were more popular than she was. Like Tina Turner, who could sell out stadiums, unlike Aretha.

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2023 7:01 AM

A Legends Ball without me???

That’s like saying you had dinner with the President……of the local VFW post.

Nice try, Oprah.

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2023 7:14 AM

“Aretha wouldn’t have went”, R32? really?

by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2023 7:25 AM

Mammories! 🕰️

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2023 7:27 AM

I saw the hour-long special about it on ABC, and it was a total cringe. That ridiculous "poem" written by Maya Angelou where all of the "young'uns had to say in refrain after every verse "We speak your name, we speak your name" made me embarrassed just watching it.

by Anonymousreply 36May 21, 2023 9:17 AM

When I think of legendary balls something very different comes to my mind.

by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2023 3:25 PM

R29 I don't think they recieved any gifts. The earrings were only for the honorees - the legends and the 'young'uns'.

by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2023 3:47 PM

What food was served? Did the 'young uns' or even the "legends" get to take doggy bags home with them??

by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2023 4:47 PM

[quote] Aretha hated other women, and hated other divas who had huge fan bases and some who were more popular than she was. Like Tina Turner, who could sell out stadiums, unlike Aretha.

But she was cool with Diana Ross who sold more than her. So I doubt it was that.

Aretha only had beef with other women she felt that could challenge her vocally. She really didn’t think of Tina as a threat or even in the same lane as her. I doubt she cared about Tina’s touring numbers (only gay fans into stan wars care about such trivial nonsense).

by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2023 4:57 PM

Howard Stern did the greatest parody of this thing!

by Anonymousreply 41May 21, 2023 5:02 PM

Franklin had a quiet friendship with Streisand, who Franklin probably considered a vocal rival. They knew each other since the early 60s, when they both were signed to Columbia (at the time, Franklin said they were spending more time promoting Streisand than promoting her - whom they signed on as a Gospel singer). When Franklin died, Streisand sent beautiful flowers to her funeral (as did Ross) and praised her as a contemporary and as a civil rights activist.

by Anonymousreply 42May 21, 2023 5:04 PM

R29 Streisand came for the grilled shrimp

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 21, 2023 5:16 PM

I wonder where they all slept at night? I don't think Oprah's house was big enough to host everybody over the weekend. I also wonder what was on the menus.

by Anonymousreply 44May 21, 2023 5:32 PM

R44 Oprah's estate is huge. She had a special trolley system built to take guests up to the main house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 21, 2023 5:43 PM

Both Ross and Franklin admired Streisand, probably because Streisand took control of her own career, but even more importantly, she was a success as both an actress and singer.

Whitney Houston also revealed in an interview with Barbara Walters that it wasn't Ross whose career she wanted to emulate, it was Streisand's.

by Anonymousreply 46May 21, 2023 6:34 PM

NEVER EVER EVER could stand Franklin's voice...All I have ever heard is loud caterwalling....but hey, that's just me!

by Anonymousreply 47May 21, 2023 7:41 PM

I saw a bit of this when it aired back then. The funniest part was the clip showing Oprah putting her event planner, Colin Cowie, in his place. I shit you not - she was shown taking a sip of champagne while staring straight ahead, then placing the flute at Cowie's abdomen as he was standing next to her. Continuing to stare straight ahead as he took the flute from her hand, Oprah, said so much without speaking one word. Cowie backed away meekly as Oprah....continued to stare straight ahead. Subtle yet highly effective cunt move. Perhaps you had to see it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 21, 2023 8:46 PM

[quote]Franklin had a quiet friendship with Streisand, who Franklin probably considered a vocal rival

Since when? In her book, Franklin gave one sentence to Barbra, where she attributed Streisand's success to simply having good management. That's shade.

Meanwhile, she went to Diana's Kennedy Center Honors, attended her concerts in Detroit, and often praised her in interviews.

by Anonymousreply 49May 21, 2023 9:13 PM

R44 Oprah put everyone up in neighborhood homes which were vacant that weekend. She actually created the AirBnB.

by Anonymousreply 50May 22, 2023 4:23 AM

[quote] Diahann Carroll said Oprah pulled her aside with singer Diana Ross and asked them to join her in the kitchen. There, the two legends patched up their friendship which had broken nearly 35 years earlier, when Carroll accused Ross of stealing the movie 'Lady Sings The Blues' from her. (Ross always said she had nothing to do with it - it was Berry Gordy's idea). "It's been a long, long time" said Carroll to reporters, "but we made amends. We exchanged phone numbers and plan on meeting for dinner soon. A lot of time has past." Ross told the press she was happy to reconnect with Carroll after 'so many years wasted'.

Never heard that story before. I don't think there was bad blood between Carroll and Ross. I do know that Patti Labelle and Diana Ross reconciled at the Legends Ball after bad feelings towards each other for decades. I do recall Ross saying she hadn't seen Carroll in a long time and got her phone number, but they were neither friends nor foes.

by Anonymousreply 51May 29, 2023 3:34 PM

[quote] As for Carroll, it was said the writers of LSTB had Carroll in mind from the beginning (1970). When the project was finished, Gordy got his hands on it and convinced everyone that this would be a great project for Ross and to launch the movie division of Motown. Carroll was miffed, and blamed Ross for stealing the movie. Though they were quite friendly in the 60s, Carroll never talked to Ross again...until 2005.

???? Carroll was mentioned for LSTB but long before Berry Gordy got his hands on it, and only because she was THE Black actress of the moment. I doubt Carroll would have ever taken a role that showed her going through heroin withdrawal -- she was "Julia" at the time. And Carroll was 10 years older than Ross. Where did this story come from?

by Anonymousreply 52May 29, 2023 3:39 PM

Oprah has NEVER spoken of who was invited and who was not. She has only ever said that she personally called Whitney Houston TWICE to invite her. However, Whitney was in a bad way at the time.

by Anonymousreply 53May 29, 2023 3:42 PM

Oprah's psychology is fascinating. This is kind of a cool idea to honor black female legends, but as others said, it looks like a tribute to herself.

She came from a genuinely poor and rough background. To see her embrace gurus of the week, wacko events like this, and just immediately lose touch (that event planner Champagne story) is interesting.

Kitty Kelley's book is great for tidbits like: -ironclad NDAs for employees, before they got really popular -Smart moves when it came to owning studios and investing in radio stations -Idolizing thin wealthy white women who would have nothing to do w her in another setting -Decent working environment, if a little high pressure -Fixated on fiction that rehashes child abuse -Constantly trying new religious/guru beliefs -"Adopting" kids/mentoring and then cutting them off out of nowhere -No clue her downer film about slavery, Beloved, would not be as successful as a Chucky sequel!

by Anonymousreply 54May 29, 2023 4:34 PM

The Chucky movie story "Bride of Chucky, which opened opposite the Jonathan Demme–directed film. “I didn’t know that you had that weekend, and that is it,” she tells Morgan. “It premiered on a Friday night and I remember hearing on Saturday morning that we got beat by something called Chucky. I didn’t even know what Chucky was.” Still, at least the experience was instructive, in that it helped her to empathize with what mere mortals must go through at times: “It was the only time in my life that I was ever depressed"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 29, 2023 4:40 PM

R55 The NERVE of this fucking cow.

She's lucky she had that awful Chucky sequel to take the heat off of her film, which would've bombed no matter what.

And she can't blame 1990s box office returns for her fat ass. She doesn't have a Hollywood problem. She has a Twinkie problem.

by Anonymousreply 56May 29, 2023 7:07 PM

Remember when she didn’t know how to pump gas with Gale or that people didn’t change their sheets once a day?

by Anonymousreply 57May 29, 2023 7:19 PM

r57, the only time I ever saw Oprah in person was @1984 when she was pumping gas into her luxury car.

by Anonymousreply 58May 29, 2023 8:40 PM

I remember that road trip she and Gayle took. A nice red Impala and some candid footage of the two of them.

But there was always at least one SUV following behind them with security and personal assistants.

by Anonymousreply 59May 30, 2023 2:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!