Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

SAG-AFTRA's National Board Votes Unanimously To Ask Members For Strike Authorization

SAG-AFTRA’s national board voted unanimously today to recommend that the union’s members authorize a strike in advance of its upcoming negotiations for a new film and TV contract.

“In anticipation of the union’s forthcoming TV/Theatrical Contract negotiations with the Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers, which begin June 7, the SAG-AFTRA National Board agreed unanimously to recommend that its members vote to authorize a strike,” the guild said in a statement posted on its website.

“An affirmative vote does not mean a strike would necessarily happen, but it would allow the National Board to call one if deemed necessary during the negotiations process,” the union added. “The action comes following a unanimous agreement by the TV/Theatrical negotiating committee that the strike authorization would give the union maximum bargaining leverage as it enters this round of negotiations with the AMPTP. SAG-AFTRA represents more than 160,000 entertainment and media professionals.”

“It was the most solidarity that I’ve seen in a long, long time,” said a board member after the meeting. “To get 100% of this board to agree on something shows that we are united.”

SAG-AFTRA hasn’t struck the film and TV industry since the merger of SAG and AFTRA in 2012. Their last strike against the studios was in 1980 — a 95-day walkout that established contract terms for pay-TV and videocassettes.

SAG-AFTRA President Fran Drescher wrote today: “For the first time in a very long time, our member leadership stands in solidarity at the negotiating committee and the National Board levels on moving forward with a strike authorization. We must get all our ducks in a row should the need present itself. The prospect of a strike is not a first option, but a last resort. As my dad always says, ‘Better to have and not need than to need and not have!’ Therefore, I implore eligible members to follow the leads of both the negotiating committee and the National Board with an unprecedented show of solidarity and make three a charm with an emphatic ‘yes’ for a strike authorization vote!”

Said Duncan Crabtree-Ireland, the guild’s national executive director and chief negotiator: “Strike authorization sends an important message during the negotiations process. A ‘yes’ vote gives the National Board the power to call a strike if the AMPTP does not negotiate fairly in our upcoming bargaining. This will be a seminal negotiation that will determine the future of what it means to be a working performer. We must be ready to fight to secure a meaningful deal for our members.”

In its statement, the guild said: “Earning a living as a professional performer has become increasingly difficult, with both inflation and the streaming ecosystem undercutting compensation — all the while, corporate profits and executive pay at studios continue to rise. Add to this the unregulated use of artificial intelligence and the burdens of the industrywide shift to self-tape, the outlook for working actors becomes unsustainable without transformative change.

“A successful strike authorization vote doesn’t initiate a strike. Instead, the strike authorization permits the National Board to declare a strike if the studios and streaming companies fail to negotiate fairly with SAG-AFTRA for the benefit of its members.”

Postcards will be sent to eligible members on May 18 with instructions on how to vote, and voting will close at 5 p.m. PT on June 5.

A strike, if it comes to that, could come until midnight on June 30, when the current contract expires.

The news comes on Day 16 of the Writers Guild strike against the AMPTP. The Directors Guild, meanwhile, began contract negotiations with the AMPTP on May 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30June 7, 2023 7:00 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 18, 2023 4:58 AM

IATSE should get in on the fun as well. Just have everyone gang up on those cunt producers at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 2May 18, 2023 5:11 AM

The industry shut down for two years because of covid and just when they are getting their bills caught up they want to shut it all down again. So glad I never had to become entangled in a union for permission to have a job.

by Anonymousreply 3May 18, 2023 5:46 AM

WSJ had a great piece on what the strike is about, AI left unregulated and unlicensed is seriously going to fuck with the entertainment, maybe not this year or next, but if left unchecked, they will not need to employ writers OR actors at ALL, and have seriously whittled down writer’s jobs already.

The other issue is if today’s AI can perfectly transform someone’s voice into virtually ANY song with 30 minutes of sampling, imagine what TOMORROW’S AI could do once it ingests an entire season or two of TV-

-Ten more seasons of ‘90’s era Seinfeld -Inserting or completely removing actors from a movie -Aging or regressing actor’s ages to fit better and use dead actors instead

The issue is also much of copyright, parody, and fair use- even “freedom of the press”- will need to be completely reevaluated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 18, 2023 5:59 AM

Is AI really that advanced R4?

by Anonymousreply 5May 18, 2023 6:38 AM

R5, some of the music already created has fooled fans, and in some estimations is better than original work. It’s the number one concern in the music industry right now. I think the most unsettling thing would be cross referencing and blending wildly different work of several media creators, getting a hit, then not being able to discern who is the artist getting paid for it, the original ones, or the new author’s work?

Also understand that historically, a LOT of past work is based upon other’s contributions, but AI “mirrors” the work, this really opens a lot of confusion legally for artists. Is it appropriation, or a wholly new piece of art?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 18, 2023 11:15 AM

AI is theft.

by Anonymousreply 7May 19, 2023 6:03 AM

[quote]So glad I never had to become entangled in a union for permission to have a job.

Christ, talk about troll farm bots!

Yeah, we're so glad you decided to be a dazzling iconoclast, toughing it out all by yourself. I imagine you are some small business owner whose entire profits come from cheating the system and paying substandard wages to your workers!

You obviously know nothing about the history of those who work in the entertainment business, but I assure you the fact that many middle class people can make a living and have protections are why the owners make so much money. You sound like a red state dipshit, or else you work for your father.

by Anonymousreply 8May 19, 2023 6:12 AM

I wish labor disputes in the U.S. would be required to be decided by arbitration instead of allowing strikes. It would be nice to have a panel of experts examine the union demands and examine the employer's position and make a decision about which one is more reasonable and better for the long-term health of the company. So much of the media coverage just reports what the the union wants and there's no analysis on whether or not the employer's proposal makes more sense than the union demands.

by Anonymousreply 9May 19, 2023 6:29 AM

You're clueless R3.

by Anonymousreply 10May 19, 2023 8:31 AM

r9, WTF do you think collective bargaining even is?

People don't go on strike because they're tired of cashing their paychecks that's why strikes are relatively rare. It is preposterous that you think "outside arbitrators" have some enhanced authority and knowledge over the wages and working conditions of strangers whose field of labor they are just learning about over those actually involved.

You sound like a dilettante.

by Anonymousreply 11May 19, 2023 6:05 PM

R11, in collective bargaining, or any kind of bargaining, both sides believe their position is fair and justified. The arbitration would be to determine what is actually fair, and if neither side is fair, then how to meet in the middle. It could very well be that the AMPTP is offering a fair contract, but it would take impartial arbitrators to make that determination.

by Anonymousreply 12May 19, 2023 7:37 PM

[quote] I wish labor disputes in the U.S. would be required to be decided by arbitration instead of allowing strikes.

Why would the studios agree to that?

by Anonymousreply 13May 19, 2023 9:00 PM

r4 Yes. Film score composers and musicians, in general, better watch out, also. AI can compose an entire symphony. I'm a classically trained musician. I majored in music in college. This depressed the absolute hell out of me. As if the imposter syndrome was severe enough, already.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 19, 2023 9:36 PM

AI in the arts doesn't scare me a bit. I kind of welcome it.

by Anonymousreply 15May 19, 2023 9:39 PM

"It could very well be that the AMPTP is offering a fair contract."

Do you know anything about the specifics here R12? There is no need for guessing. The information is available.

The AMPTP's offer (and lack of counter offers to the WGA) were made public weeks ago, along with WGA's offers in their negotiations pre-strike. I suggest you read up and educate yourself. It's not a fair deal, and the issues are very much the same for SAG. The AMPTP's stone-walling with the WGA ( and earlier in the year with DGA, that's why they delayed their negotiations with AMPTP, they usually go 1st.) is why SAG is calling for members to authorize the SAG negotiators to strike--if, like the writers, they get nowhere. I hope that doesn't happen, but it does not look good. And AMPTP would not never agree to arbitration. They would lose.

I don't think you are a trolling producers, just an ignorant viewer. Read up. And stop talking out of yr bum.

by Anonymousreply 16May 20, 2023 12:38 AM

[quote]Do you know anything about the specifics here [R12]? There is no need for guessing. The information is available.

I'm not, and wouldn't be, the arbiter. There would be professional arbiters to decide what would be a fair solution. One possibility is that the arbiters might determine that the AMPTP in this case is being more reasonable that the union, or it could be the other way around. That would be for the arbiters, an impartial group of people, to decide.

by Anonymousreply 17May 20, 2023 12:46 AM

Of course, you wouldn't be the arbiter in your imaginary arbitration world. You clearly know nothing about this and are biased against unions.

Before you make ignorant comments, I'm suggesting educate yourself. Not to "be the arbitrator." But just so you don't sound dumb.

by Anonymousreply 18May 20, 2023 1:23 AM

[quote]You clearly know nothing about this

The arbiters would be knowledgeable about this and able to make a fair decision. If the WGA has fair demands and the AMPTP is unreasonable, the WGA would have nothing to fear from arbitration, right?

by Anonymousreply 19May 20, 2023 1:28 AM

Couldn’t the studio just by off the arbiter?

by Anonymousreply 20May 20, 2023 3:30 AM

Couldn’t the studio just buy off the arbiter?

by Anonymousreply 21May 20, 2023 3:30 AM

𝑇𝑟𝑎𝑛𝑠 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑔𝑒𝑛𝑑𝑒𝑟 𝑛𝑜𝑛-𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑓𝑜𝑟𝑚𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑤𝑟𝑖𝑡𝑒𝑟𝑠 picket Netflix.

The event from the Writers Guild of America’s Trans/Gender Non-Conforming Writers Subcommittee, called “𝑻𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒔 𝑻𝒂𝒌𝒆𝒐𝒗𝒆𝒓 𝑻𝒉𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒅𝒂𝒚,” featured a “mini ball,” honoring the ballroom tradition originating in queer communities of color (prizes were awarded for “cutest pet,” “best outfit” and “best sign”). Attendees were encouraged to wear blue, pink and white, referring to the traditional colors of the transgender Pride flag. Writers packed the sidewalks surrounding Netflix’s Hollywood offices, with hundreds attending (the Writers Guild estimated 800 appeared). Picket signs with messages like “We’re here, we’re queer and we can do this all year” and “They/them causing mayhem” were hoisted into the air.

A key goal of the subcommittee, which only formed officially within the last year at the union, is advocating for more trans stories told by trans writers.

Trans representation is still generally paltry in entertainment, notes writer and actor Jen Richards (Mayfair Witches, Mrs. Fletcher). “And when it has been there, it’s been non-trans people playing us in shows written by non-trans people and in movies written and directed by non-trans people. ” She added, “We’re proof that the talent is here and no one can tell our stories better than we can.” Issues that organizers want to tackle with their subcommittee include what they say is a problem of trans writers not being included in telling stories about trans characters or being brought into projects at the last minute and/or only as “sensitivity consultants” and a rash of portrayals of trans people as “lonely and struggling,” says writer-director Jules Byrne (UCB Comedy Originals).

Netflix also in 2022 made changes to its company culture memo that were perceived as responding to the Chappelle uproar the previous year. “Not everyone will like — or agree with — everything on our service,” said the revised note. “Depending on your role, you may need to work on titles you perceive to be harmful. If you’d find it hard to support our content breadth, Netflix may not be the best place for you.”

Leo Aquino, a screenwriter and journalist who was present, had also attended the 2021 Chappelle rally. Thursday’s WGA picket was a “nice little bookend” to that experience, they said: “Netflix just stays fucking up, so it was pretty cool to be able to yell ‘trans rights’ over and over again in front of their offices.” As a writer who is not yet a WGA member but aspires to be, Aquino says they are scared particularly by the AMPTP’s alleged response to the WGA’s AI proposals — proposing that both parties attend an annual meeting on technology. (The AMPTP has said in a statement that the issue “requires a lot more discussion.”) “I’m really out here putting my heart on the page. So it’s really disheartening to feel like they think they can replace us with computers,” Aquino said.

---------------------

I wonder what an AI's pronouns are.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 20, 2023 6:14 AM

Bye Troll R19

by Anonymousreply 23May 20, 2023 6:40 AM

[quote]SAG-AFTRA Members Vote 97.9% in Favor of Strike Authorization

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24June 6, 2023 3:46 AM

Oh, and negotiations start June 7 and they have until June 30 to reach a deal.

by Anonymousreply 25June 6, 2023 3:46 AM

I for one welcome our new AI overlords.

by Anonymousreply 26June 6, 2023 3:54 AM

The writers’ strike of the mid-2000s is what unleashed reality TV upon society, to its detriment. With AI now in the picture, I dread to think what the outcome will be as the capitalists “make do” while workers strike.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m all for unions and strikes when necessary - I just fear what companies will do to keep the revenue flowing. 😫

by Anonymousreply 27June 6, 2023 4:10 AM

That nasal-y drunken Jewess is gonna ruin this business like a prom dress on wine cooler night!

by Anonymousreply 28June 6, 2023 4:20 AM

-- Matthew Modine, not SAG-AFTRA President

by Anonymousreply 29June 7, 2023 6:57 PM

Took you a full day to come up with that zinger, Fran?

by Anonymousreply 30June 7, 2023 7:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!