Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'High Desert' on Apple TV

With Patricia Arquette, Christine Taylor, Rupert Friend, Bernadette Peters, and Matt Dillon.

[quote]Peggy, a former addict, who decides to make a new start after the death of her beloved mother with whom she lived in the small desert town of Yucca Valley, California, makes a life-changing decision to become a private investigator.

Eight episodes, first three out May 17.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2023 3:13 AM

Opening scene with Patricia in a glorious kaftan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1May 17, 2023 2:44 PM

Just started watching. I loved Ben Stiller's 'Escape at Dannemora' with Patricia Arquette so I think this will be good too.

by Anonymousreply 2May 25, 2023 7:32 AM

Matt Dillon, at 59, remains a snack.

Patricia Arquette's character is like a cross between Jennifer Coolidge and Natasha Lyonne.

So far this is fun but I fear there are too many subsidiary characters and subplots.

by Anonymousreply 3May 28, 2023 2:41 AM

This show is insane. The character is insane. Her performance is insane. Very watchable and funny

by Anonymousreply 4May 28, 2023 8:59 AM

Her caftans are insane! I love this show, it's so crazy!

by Anonymousreply 5May 31, 2023 5:42 AM

My latest favorite

by Anonymousreply 6June 9, 2023 2:10 PM

I just binged this up to the latest episode in a matter of days, it's so entertaining! I might prefer it to Pokerface, even though it's nowhere near as prestige-y. It's just good old summer fun.

I disagree with the poster who said there are too many subsidiary characters. Aside from one five-minute flashback, the camera is basically always on Arquette, who is at an 11 at all times. All the different subplots are needed to showcase her incredibly manic energy. Honestly, the way she keeps all those plates spinning is something I aspire to.

One of my favourite things about the show is the way she isn't nasty despite the occasional bitchy quip. She finds a way to be kind to random strangers, even though she's pretty much at rock bottom in her own life.

Oh, and Bernadette Peters' facial work is simply outstanding. Also love Patty's janky front tooth and her amalgam fillings. Very relatable. Thought she was Sarah Lancashire when I first saw the trailer.

by Anonymousreply 7June 9, 2023 2:25 PM

I really love Arquette's performance here.

by Anonymousreply 8June 9, 2023 2:29 PM

This series is a new favorite. I love the way Arquette — such a beautiful ingenue in the ‘90s — is just letting it all hang out now. She’s wonderfully funny and earthy.

by Anonymousreply 9June 9, 2023 2:36 PM

Cancelled.

So disappointed, this show was such good summer fun. But it must have bombed in the ratings if Apple pulled the plug after one season.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10July 2, 2023 4:08 AM

Its great that we at least get full seasons of shows now. This show was something special. People will continue to find it because severance is a huge hit and Arquette is also on that and both are Appletv

by Anonymousreply 11July 3, 2023 3:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!