Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Golden Girls season 7.5 would've been better than Golden Palace

Half a season to wrap things up. The 3 remaining would make future plans, figure out their job situations, have a big yard sale, pack what they're keeping, meet with a realtor, meet prospective buyers at an open house, the Westons and other neighbors come over to say goodbye, etc. There would've been enough story lines for 4.5 months worth of shows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 1, 2023 12:40 AM

And they could've driven over to the Mortimer Club and let the air of the tires on Barbara Thorndyke's Cadillac Seville in the "free" parking lot...

by Anonymousreply 1May 16, 2023 9:45 PM

As brilliant as the other three women were, there was no show without Bea. The two episodes of Golden Palace where she returned were wonderful and made it clear that you needed all four of them for the show to feel balanced. They'd be doomed without her one way or another.

by Anonymousreply 2May 16, 2023 10:08 PM

Jean could've written and performed a one-woman show about the beauty of Rose's big breasts...

by Anonymousreply 3May 16, 2023 10:31 PM

It was 30 plus years ago and they are ALL dead.

Let it go, Mary!

by Anonymousreply 4May 16, 2023 10:35 PM

^ then why is Jean still hanging onto Rose's big Scandinavian breasts?

by Anonymousreply 5May 16, 2023 10:36 PM

The finale kind of started out the right way: Sophia going with Dorothy, Rose moving in with her family. They could have had Blanche visit the daughter who was artificially ensemenated and find out there were some of her type of seniors in the area with a particular handsome gentleman who caught her eye and she decided to move there so she and her daughter could finally have a new start.

Then, when they sell the house, the buyers turn out to be Coco and his partner. After a tearful farewell between the girls, Sophia turns to Coco and his partner and says, "Hey Fancy Man, promise you won't turn my room into a sex dungeon. You already have the anchor holes in Blanche's room." Dorothy grabs her and pulls her out the door as the old episode ending tag plays. Coco's partner looks up at him confused and Coco shakes his head staring at the closed front door.

by Anonymousreply 6May 16, 2023 10:46 PM

Also, I think it would have been a nice touch if they had shown the cast taking their final bows before the credits rolled.

by Anonymousreply 7May 16, 2023 10:50 PM

R6 Sophia should've moved in with Angela. She was too old to be hanging out with Rose and Blanche. (They were young enough to be her daughters)

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2023 10:54 PM

I can't watch the finale at all. It's just a poorly constructed episode. And everything comes at you so fast that you really don't feel anything. Plus, it comes right after the two parter where Rose almost kicks the bucket.

They should have introduced Dorothy's love interest earlier in the season and given time for it to truly blossom. Instead, they cram everything into 48 minutes.

The Blanche episode with Ken Howard was ten times better. Of course, the writers just dropped it afterwards.

I stop at Home Again, Rose which for me makes much more sense as a series finale. Rose has a health scare, and the girls rush to her side. It reinforces the series theme, which was that these four ladies would be together through thick and thin. Had they dropped the non-existent B plot with Blanche's daughter and put Miles in there instead it would have been a perfect episode.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2023 10:55 PM

Bea wanted to quit after season five.

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2023 10:58 PM

[quote] "And they could've driven over to the Mortimer Club and let the air of the tires on Barbara Thorndyke's Cadillac Seville in the "free" parking lot..."

While the Seville may be the smaller, "sportier", and more appropriate model for Thorndyke, the DeVille is, at least in name, even better.

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2023 11:06 PM

How can we make this happen?

by Anonymousreply 12May 17, 2023 3:30 AM

^Get a Ouji board and a voodoo priest or priestess.

by Anonymousreply 13May 17, 2023 5:19 AM

Nobody from the show is alive today. Sad. Even Becky with the bad hair is dead (Debra Engle 1953-2023, frontotemporal dementia).

by Anonymousreply 14May 17, 2023 6:00 PM

My opinion exactly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 17, 2023 7:00 PM

I love season 7, so I could have seen another season being decent to good.

by Anonymousreply 16May 17, 2023 7:51 PM

If definitely would have been better. The new characters and situation detracted from the show (and it didn’t even make sense that women their age would take on something like that!).

They could have brought on a new roommate whose personal circumstances reinvigorated the show.

by Anonymousreply 17May 17, 2023 7:57 PM

Without Dorothy it didn’t work.

by Anonymousreply 18May 17, 2023 8:03 PM

R17 R18 It's too bad Nancy Walker died in early 1992. Aunt Angela might've worked as the new roommate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19May 17, 2023 8:09 PM

Nah, Nancy was a lot to take in her one episode. The new addition needed to be more human and less cartoon.

by Anonymousreply 20May 17, 2023 8:19 PM

R20 I disagree

by Anonymousreply 21May 17, 2023 8:30 PM

Angela was one of the weaker characters. We were supposed to believe she both was an old-school Sicilian who hangs with goats and has been in the states long enough to have a thick Brooklyn accent and big-city attitude.

And her tension with Sophia was one-dimensional. Don’t know of anyone hoping they had more time to explore their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 22May 17, 2023 8:39 PM

R22 go jump in a lake.

by Anonymousreply 23May 17, 2023 8:41 PM

I much preferred Angela to Angelo, I'll say that much.

by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2023 8:46 PM

May your sauce never cling to your pasta, R22!

by Anonymousreply 25May 17, 2023 8:46 PM

NOW a warning?!?!?!

by Anonymousreply 26May 17, 2023 8:47 PM

R20 agree , could never stand her. I loved Angelo though even if his accent was ridiculous, he was funny.

by Anonymousreply 27May 17, 2023 8:51 PM

I love Nancy Walker as Ida Morgenstern, one of my favorite characters of all time on tv, but just do not feel she worked as Angela. Primarily because she was essentially given Estelle's schtick and Estelle did it better.

by Anonymousreply 28May 18, 2023 5:18 AM

I would like to have seen Uncle Angelo become obsessed with Kim Kardashian...

By his own admission, he was a "butt man"

by Anonymousreply 29May 18, 2023 2:10 PM

Dinah Manoff talks about the four Golden Girls in a 2021 interview.

"Well, each of them was -- and Betty still is -- a treasure, in their own way. Complicated. Complicated women. I got to know Estelle quite well, because she ended up being on our show for the last year or two. And I loved Estelle. I mean, I deeply, deeply loved her. She was a great lady and a real pro. And funny. I mean a funny person, not just a funny actress. Bea was very complicated and very interesting... and very likable in some ways and not likable in other ways. She ran a tough set. For instance, she did not allow any gum-chewing on the "Golden Girls" stage. And I got sworn at, when I was over there chewing gum. She was quite tough. But I also kind of found that, with Bea, it was like, "Oh, it's just Bea Arthur being Bea Arthur." You know? I mean, how cool to be yelled at by Bea Arthur! [Laughs]. And Betty is as darling as she seems. And Rue was charming. I didn't get to know Rue. But she was always nice and charming to me."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 31, 2023 2:06 PM

R9 great points. I thought Leslie should have been introduced before the Rose two partner so it's not such a whirlwind with Dorothy just dropping everyone in a matter of minutes.

And it would have been a nice touch to have the guy who made Blanche feel like a lady be her plus one to the wedding, even just a quick shot of him beside her.

I get that they needed to send Dorothy off somewhere but they had much longer to plan it that just the last 2 episodes, from what I understand there was no real hope that Bea would sign on for S8 so it wasn't a surprise to the writing team, but certainly feels that way.

OP I guess there wasn't such a thing as short seasons back then, I understand NBC cut their budget for S8 hence the move to CBS.

by Anonymousreply 31May 31, 2023 2:21 PM

Does anybody know if the Dateline: Miami episode was to test audience reaction to no Dorothy? It's an early s7 episode where Bea appears for about a minute.

Incidentally it's the episode Betty got an Emmy nominations for over Rue's Rusty Anchor episode and Bea's finale submission.

by Anonymousreply 32May 31, 2023 2:31 PM

You're off your game, girls.

This thread or variations of it has been done before. Multiple times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 31, 2023 2:45 PM

R33 that thread is about Season 7. This thread is about how the show could have carried on after, instead of TGP

by Anonymousreply 34May 31, 2023 2:47 PM

At Season 1 of Gokden Girls Sophia was 80. This means that at the Golden Palace she was 87-88. And she still had the energy to help run a hotel and restaurant?

by Anonymousreply 35May 31, 2023 2:56 PM

Logic didn’t play any role in the imagining of Golden Palace. I recall watching the pilot at the time and thinking it was written in thirty minutes.

by Anonymousreply 36May 31, 2023 3:31 PM

Plus where did they get the money to buy it?

Dorothy, Rose & Sophia were supposedly able to afford to buy into the house in s7 with what?

And why would they risk their finances and jobs to run a business for the first time? Sophia's food stall doesn't count as it burned down within weeks of opening

by Anonymousreply 37May 31, 2023 3:36 PM

From the sale of Blanche's house, R37.

by Anonymousreply 38May 31, 2023 3:41 PM

Blanche's house afforded the purchase of a good sized Miami hotel near the beach?

They should have dropped in that Rose won $$$ from her Sexual predator Dentist and Sophia's husband (did they divorce?) left her a windfall.

Whatever happened to the money from the sale of Rose's farm and Dorothy's house with Stan?

Sorry, shouldn't try to turn this into another inconsistency thread!

by Anonymousreply 39May 31, 2023 4:36 PM

I’m pretty sure you can depend on AI developing seven more seasons within the next year or so. Creepy!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 31, 2023 4:42 PM

R39 Blanche and Rose were prostitutes for a while and made some good money. Sophia was their pimp. They had enough to buy a hotel. They never told Dorothy.

by Anonymousreply 41May 31, 2023 4:59 PM

The royalties from the 1920s classic "Sophia Does Sicily" finally came through..

by Anonymousreply 42May 31, 2023 5:04 PM

"Picture it: My vagina!"

by Anonymousreply 43June 1, 2023 12:40 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!