Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dave Chappelle 'shits' on San Francisco during surprise show at SF Masonic Auditorium

The 49-year-old comedian took aim at the homelessness crisis in the Golden City, which he referred to during the set as his "second home," according to a report by SFGate.

"What the f--- happened to this place?" Chappelle asked.

Chappelle went on to recount an experience that he had a few nights earlier during his trip to San Francisco.

The Netflix star told the crowd that he was dining out at an Indian restaurant in the city's Tenderloin district and recalled that a homeless person defecated in front of the establishment just as Chappelle was walking in.

The Washington, D.C., native said that San Francisco had devolved into a "half ‘Glee,’ half zombie movie" and added that the entire city had become the Tenderloin now. The Tenderloin district of San Francisco is known for its crime, homelessness and drug problems.

"Y’all [expletive] need a Batman!" the comic declared.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 26, 2023 6:04 AM

Where is the lie

by Anonymousreply 1May 15, 2023 10:53 PM

Lazy comedy. Surprised at Dave Chapelle

by Anonymousreply 2May 15, 2023 11:03 PM

His comedy has gone downhill.

Also, the Tenderloin was always sketchy. Not sure why a multi-millionaire is dining in the Tenderloin.

There used to be a really good restaurant in the Tenderloin - Original Joe's - with waiters in vests & white shirts. When it was open, I ate there a couple of times. I think they opened up in other locations, plus other restaurants have the name "Joe" in it, but have no relation. But that one in the Tenderloin was the original.

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2023 11:20 PM

Were you there, r2? Can you give us your review?

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2023 11:22 PM

He’s right, yet again.

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2023 11:23 PM

[quote] Also, the Tenderloin was always sketchy. Not sure why a multi-millionaire is dining in the Tenderloin.

Brainiac, he wasn’t always rich. He knows that area and is saying the entire place is turning into it.

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2023 11:24 PM

OP, you’re trying so hard with your little threads aren’t you? So, so hard……

by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2023 11:26 PM

Half-Glee means what. exactly?

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2023 11:38 PM

Gay, of course^. Chapelle is homophobic, but he is no Sam Kinison.

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2023 11:44 PM

He's become the official court jester of "woke"-obsessed right wing.

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2023 11:48 PM

[quote] Chapelle is homophobic

His second favorite place is San Francisco.

Eddie and him need to cut the shit already. It's pathetic at this point.

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2023 11:52 PM

He’s Muslim.

by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2023 11:55 PM

Let me get this straight, you're defending open defecation on the sidewalk? Or, you're denying that it happens in SF. Which is it?

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2023 11:56 PM

Dlers get testy when people call out the reality of SF having a ton of problems. They want it to be the 70s again.

by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2023 11:58 PM

Dave Chapelle cracks jokes about San Francisco being “glee” aka “gay”. He’s the one stuck in the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2023 11:59 PM

He did become a lazy comic.

His comments about San Francisco were lazy - they sound like the comments you'd find from a lame poster here.

For his homophobia and lazy comedy, I'm no fan

But saying he doesn't have a right to make a joke critical of San Francisco's homeless shitting wherever the urge hits them is fucking stupid. Haul out all of the stats you want about Midwestern crime and Red vs Blue states and violence and drug addiction, I'll agree with you that they are true, but the fact remains that the streets of Fort Wayne are not famously paved with human shit, and city officials who seem powerless to do anything about the problem.

It's not about who is to blame, who failed, it's about a city where humans shitting on the sidewalk ..there are apps for that.

by Anonymousreply 16May 16, 2023 12:09 AM

Why can’t it be true that SanFran does have a problem *and* that it is extremely complex and difficult to make progress and they are doing a decent job in an impossible situation. We want all social problems to have these kindergarten-esque solutions, but they don’t. SanFran is engaged in some progressive initiatives, trying to see how much of an impact they can make without creating new problems. This type of tinkering takes time, money, people, and sometimes trial and error.

To me, the most interesting part of all is that I believe when there is more income equality, we will see homelessness decrease — but by how much, I can’t say, it’s all just speculation. But I think it not difficult to make the case that a chunk of our homeless population exist due to no safety nets and the staggering cost of living. So fix those problems, and that portion of our homeless population decreases. What is more difficult to fix includes: intergenerational poverty, systemic racism, addiction, mental illness, abuse, neglect, poor education, lack of opportunities. If we got serious about working on these, maybe our homelessness numbers would go down.

by Anonymousreply 17May 16, 2023 12:17 AM

Nobody wants to live in Fort Wayne, let alone shit in its streets. Living there already makes you feel like you've been shat on.

by Anonymousreply 18May 16, 2023 12:18 AM

That's your defense of San Francisco, R18?

A better place to shit on the sidewalk than in Fort Wayne?

by Anonymousreply 19May 16, 2023 12:32 AM

I don't even live in San Francisco or the States for that matter but , yeah, *nobody* wants to live in these flyover Red State gardens of Eden unless their lot in life is so wretched that they can't leave them or they crave some fucking 1950's Mayberry where everybody knew their place.

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2023 12:37 AM

It is not Chappelle's fault that SF is a dumpster fire. And I don't understand why he's a "lazy comic" because he's pointing that out.

by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2023 12:45 AM

[quote]The Netflix star told the crowd that he was dining out at an Indian restaurant in the city's Tenderloin district...

Whatever. What does he expect when he's in the Tenderloin? People defecating in the street is nothing new. Hell, a homeless man defecated next to me on a Muni bus once. If he every lived or spent time in SF he would know not to even flinch at the sight of shit on the street in the Tenderloin. I don't like it, nobody fucking likes it, but he should know better.

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2023 12:54 AM

I think San Franciscans feel (understandably) defensive of their home town. Wouldn’t you? Yes, you would. People should say it more gingerly, and respect that many people love their home city, in spite of the problems. It’s no different than people calling half of America “flyover” or NJ is The Armpit of America, the South has burning crosses on every corner, FL is filled with only hillbilly trailer trash, New Mexico is only meth heads, Boston is filled with white supremacists, etc. Who wants to hear where they lived described in such an insulting and negative way?

It doesn’t mean it isn’t true, but recognize you’re going to offend the people who live there if you come straight at it.

by Anonymousreply 23May 16, 2023 12:55 AM

Dave is the 21st century Will Rogers

by Anonymousreply 24May 16, 2023 1:30 AM

The polite thing to do would be to not watch the man defecate, Dave.

by Anonymousreply 25May 16, 2023 5:42 AM

[quote] I don't even live in San Francisco or the States for that matter but , yeah, *nobody* wants to live in these flyover Red State gardens of Eden unless their lot in life is so wretched that they can't leave them or they crave some fucking 1950's Mayberry where everybody knew their place.

Honey, you opened your post admitting that you’re a retard. Step the fuck away.

by Anonymousreply 26May 16, 2023 5:46 AM

R23, he’s a comedian. This isn’t the governor speaking.

by Anonymousreply 27May 16, 2023 5:47 AM

You'd think the homeless, shoplifting, and crime in S.F. would bring down housing prices.

by Anonymousreply 28May 16, 2023 8:13 PM

Since SF is his second home, does he want to donate some of his millions he makes for homelessness causes? No? Of course not.

by Anonymousreply 29May 16, 2023 8:18 PM

R20, these are some of the fast-growing states on the nation. Look at real estate in Texas or Montana. People are flooding in.

by Anonymousreply 30May 16, 2023 8:19 PM

R27, what does that have to do with what I said? People feel defensive about where they call home. Someone criticizing their home is going to at least slightly irritate them, whether it’s a governor, a comedian, or a cashier at the gas station.

by Anonymousreply 31May 16, 2023 8:40 PM

I watched the CNN documentary about SF. Basically, if you let junkies shoot up on the streets with no threat of arrest and even encourage them to do so - as the mother of a junkie revealed - you fuck everything up. They're paying about $100K a year per tent to give shelter to homeless people. Most of the homeless in SF don't even come from there, they migrate there because drugs are cheap and there are no repercussions.

by Anonymousreply 32May 16, 2023 8:49 PM

Oh wow! So original, Dave!

It’s like he gets his routine from the AOL comments section now.

by Anonymousreply 33May 16, 2023 8:52 PM

This is rich, he was one of those crack smoking bums just a few years ago. Now they are so beneath him.

Ok, Dave!

by Anonymousreply 34May 16, 2023 8:53 PM

This guy needs to take his medication. No that was not a joke. He is sick.

by Anonymousreply 35May 16, 2023 8:53 PM

I noticed the Tenderloinification of other parts of the downtown when I was last there 8 years ago, and I haven't been back as a result.

by Anonymousreply 36May 16, 2023 8:53 PM

[quote]what does that have to do with what I said? People feel defensive about where they call home. Someone criticizing their home is going to at least slightly irritate them, whether it’s a governor, a comedian, or a cashier at the gas station.

Thin-skinned Americans and Dataloungers are the most provincial.

If a new radio and TV news announcers pronounces 'Houston' the wrong way for that town or city (there are 20+ in the U.S.), he will be the laughingstock for the rest of his life. If someone raises the issues of horrific acts of violence in NYC subways, he's thought to be some arch Trump conservative or a Russian chatbot trying to foment trouble (when he's just timid and wondering aloud if he should get a hotel closer to the Met for his annual visit to NYC from someplace you've never heard of.)

Cities don't belong only to the people who live in them, not even to the people who know them best. Why do people who don't hesitate to bitch about other places think their own home towns or adopted towns are safe from the least criticism from outsiders?

by Anonymousreply 37May 16, 2023 8:55 PM

Maybe the GOP Tax Law can be repealed so blue states get to keep more of their money to help tackle problems like homelessness and mental health....

by Anonymousreply 38May 16, 2023 8:58 PM

Dave Chappelle seems strangely silent about the Chicago turf where people of color have gun fights, murders, rapes, robberies, break-ins/lootings on a daily basis. Dave is the kettle calling the pot black......pun intended!

by Anonymousreply 39May 16, 2023 9:02 PM

cray-zee homeless people and tech douche-bros are not the best combination

by Anonymousreply 40May 16, 2023 9:03 PM

He's recycling his material. He's roasted San Francisco and its issues before - the video below is from 2004, nearly two decades ago.

"Tenderloin.... nothing tender about that motherfucker. I have never seen crack smoked so casually before! Sitting in front of Starbucks smoking crack and drinking coffee... talking about politics."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 16, 2023 9:05 PM

The CNN special was good

by Anonymousreply 42May 16, 2023 9:08 PM

People will always resent when blacks achieve real monetary success: Oprah, Dave C., Serena, Beyonce, RuPaul, etc. Once a black person starts making white people money, that's when the haters start their backlash campaign.

With Dave, ever since people found out how much he made from his three Netflix specials ($60M total), whites, gays/trans, and Gen Z have jumped at every chance to try and cancel him. His brand of observational comedy is now being framed as complaining with people calling him old, unfunny, and out of touch.

In terms of comedians, no one is trying to knock down tired, unfunny Jerry Seinfeld when he complains about the world. They're invested in his success as a white guy and love when he reminds people how much he could've made from a 10th season of his sitcom or how much he makes in residuals or how much Netflix paid him for rights to the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 16, 2023 9:48 PM

Chris Rock on being rich vs wealthy. Funny enough, Oprah IS wealthy now. Steady between $2.5-3B.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44May 16, 2023 9:52 PM

[quote] Dave Chappelle seems strangely silent about the Chicago turf where people of color

“People of color” … now tell us about Latinx.

by Anonymousreply 45May 16, 2023 9:55 PM

[quote]Dave Chappelle seems strangely silent about the Chicago turf

Maybe he's saving that for his next Chicago show.

by Anonymousreply 46May 16, 2023 9:59 PM

Even billionaires can be poor based on the concentration of their wealth. Nothing beats institutional wealth.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47May 16, 2023 10:13 PM

But did Dave shit on the sidewalk like everyone else does there?

by Anonymousreply 48May 16, 2023 10:15 PM

OP, stop trolling the Woke Scat Kweens!

by Anonymousreply 49May 16, 2023 10:15 PM

I don't mind Chappelle but I'm not easily offended like recent graduates of Middlebury are. At least he attacks everybody.

by Anonymousreply 50May 16, 2023 10:16 PM

Why does R12 have the red troll mark?

by Anonymousreply 51May 16, 2023 10:26 PM

[quote]His second favorite place is San Francisco.

[quote]Eddie and him need to cut the shit already. It's pathetic at this point.

I agree. He and Murphy must have the same kink, getting off as much on the feeling of danger and secrecy as the underground encounters themselves.

by Anonymousreply 52May 16, 2023 10:33 PM

He has become so fucking lame.

by Anonymousreply 53May 16, 2023 10:41 PM

R53 is triggered.

by Anonymousreply 54May 16, 2023 10:43 PM

Fags in San Francisco! Always a laugh riot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 16, 2023 10:50 PM

I think it's expected for a comedian to lose his edge as he gets richer. When you first start out, you've got 20+ years of life experience as a normal person to base your act on. You're relatable to people in the audience. After a few years of success, you're socializing with other rich people. You're living in a gated community and not dealing with the day-to-day hassles of the average Joe.

by Anonymousreply 56May 16, 2023 10:51 PM

[quote]The polite thing to do would be to not watch the man defecate, Dave.

Well, now hold on there, Baba Looey.

by Anonymousreply 57May 16, 2023 10:51 PM

I don’t understand why Dave and Eddie get called “transphobic,” especially since both have done charitable things for members of the trans community.

by Anonymousreply 58May 16, 2023 10:59 PM

San Francisco has been a troubled over-priced shithole from hell for at least 50 years.

by Anonymousreply 59May 16, 2023 10:59 PM

[quote]You're living in a gated community and not dealing with the day-to-day hassles of the average Joe.

And on top of the hassles of the average Joe, he's supposed to be okay with people shitting outside of restaurants

by Anonymousreply 60May 16, 2023 11:23 PM

Man goes to bad part of town, is shocked by bad behavior.

“How did this happen?! The world is coming to an end”

by Anonymousreply 61May 16, 2023 11:39 PM

R56 This is true, but I have yet to hear anything from his specials that suggests he's lost his edge or empathetic perspective. He's still great at cutting through the societal bullshit. The only difference is we're living in a culture that asks everyone to put the mask back on and make it even thicker. We're all encouraged to curb our speech to spare people's egos and even worse, their feelings.

by Anonymousreply 62May 16, 2023 11:56 PM

I like Chappelle, but he seems to be entering the "old man yelling at clouds" phase of his career.

by Anonymousreply 63May 17, 2023 12:34 AM

It's a good phase, I like it.

by Anonymousreply 64May 17, 2023 1:30 AM

Did he also rant about the young folks wearing their pants too low?

by Anonymousreply 65May 17, 2023 4:41 AM

[quote]Did he also rant about the young folks wearing their pants too low?

No he ranted about UNCHECKED CAPITALISM TURNING THE ONE PERCENT INTO GREEDY GREEDY PIGS.

It's not a Conservative vs. Liberal issue. It's not about Democrats vs. Republicans. It's not about Blue States vs. Red States.

It's about MONEY MONEY MONEY TURNING EVERYBODY INTO FILTHY PIGS.

At the expense of the rest of humanity.

by Anonymousreply 66May 17, 2023 7:06 AM

The drug crisis has ravaged the city with a more than 40% jump in overdose deaths from January through March in 2023, according to a press release from the California governor’s office.

Most of the fentanyl-linked deaths have happened near the Tenderloin and South of Market neighborhoods in San Francisco.

Since 2020, about 2,300 people have died from drug overdoses in the city, the San Francisco Chronicle reported.

by Anonymousreply 67May 17, 2023 9:59 AM

[quote]If a new radio and TV news announcers pronounces 'Houston' the wrong way for that town or city (there are 20+ in the U.S.), he will be the laughingstock for the rest of his life.

That's suspiciously specific, r37.

by Anonymousreply 68May 17, 2023 10:03 AM

Perhaps a fentanyl crisis is the answer to the homelessness crisis.

by Anonymousreply 69May 17, 2023 2:57 PM

[quote]No he ranted about UNCHECKED CAPITALISM TURNING THE ONE PERCENT INTO GREEDY GREEDY PIGS.

Is this the same guy who brought Elon Musk onstage and declared: “Ladies and gentlemen, make some noise for the richest man in the world” ???

by Anonymousreply 70May 17, 2023 3:03 PM

[quote] No he ranted about UNCHECKED CAPITALISM TURNING THE ONE PERCENT INTO GREEDY GREEDY PIGS.

Did he rant about how he is now, too, part of THE ONE PERCENT GREEDY PIGS?

by Anonymousreply 71May 17, 2023 5:52 PM

R69 I've thought that if everyone in Portland living on the street got a free pound of fentanyl this ongoing mess would clean up quick

by Anonymousreply 72May 17, 2023 5:55 PM

R69 R72 The problem was fixing itself and then someone just HAD TO invent NARCAN.

by Anonymousreply 73May 17, 2023 6:13 PM

[quote]The problem was fixing itself and then someone just HAD TO invent NARCAN.

That’s what a lot of folks said about AZT back in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 74May 17, 2023 6:26 PM

it's not like he isn't right.

by Anonymousreply 75May 17, 2023 6:28 PM

R74 Gay men add value to society. What value do junkies add? (Besides job security for drug dealers, cops, social workers, and EMTs?)

by Anonymousreply 76May 17, 2023 6:32 PM

R76 I agree, but the mindset back then was “what value do promiscuous gay WHORES add to society.” In that regard, the comparison of AZT to Narcan is valid.

by Anonymousreply 77May 17, 2023 6:50 PM

A woman who threw a brick in the direction of city officials on Tuesday struggled with mental illness and was upset about how the city treats unhoused people, her mother, Gail Tittle, told The Standard.

San Francisco Board of Supervisors President Aaron Peskin had decided to move the mayor’s regular monthly meeting with the board down the block from City Hall to the United Nations Plaza, which has grown rampant with drug dealing and stolen good sales.

Peskin started to grill the mayor on a request he had outlined in a letter earlier in the day to establish an Emergency Operations Center for multiple agencies to coordinate response and shut down open air drug dealing sites like the one in the plaza in the next 90 days.

𝐻𝑒𝑐𝑘𝑙𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑎𝑛𝑑 𝑐ℎ𝑎𝑛𝑡𝑠 𝑜𝑓 "𝑛𝑜 𝑚𝑜𝑟𝑒 𝑐𝑜𝑝𝑠" 𝑓𝑟𝑜𝑚 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑙𝑎𝑟𝑔𝑒 𝑐𝑟𝑜𝑤𝑑 𝑤𝑒𝑟𝑒 𝑠𝑜 𝑙𝑜𝑢𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑎𝑡 𝑃𝑒𝑠𝑘𝑖𝑛 𝑚𝑜𝑣𝑒𝑑 𝑡ℎ𝑒 𝑚𝑒𝑒𝑡𝑖𝑛𝑔 𝑏𝑎𝑐𝑘 𝑡𝑜 𝐶𝑖𝑡𝑦 𝐻𝑎𝑙𝑙 before the mayor could answer.

𝑨𝒕 𝒐𝒏𝒆 𝒑𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒕, 𝒂 𝒑𝒓𝒐𝒕𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒓𝒖𝒔𝒉𝒆𝒅 𝒖𝒑 𝒕𝒐𝒘𝒂𝒓𝒅 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒄𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒐𝒇𝒇𝒊𝒄𝒊𝒂𝒍𝒔 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒓𝒆𝒘 𝒂 𝒃𝒓𝒊𝒄𝒌. The brick struck a female Galileo High School student and member of the junior ROTC troop who helped raise the American flag at the start of the meeting. Supervisors had reportedly already left U.N. Plaza.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 26, 2023 6:04 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!