Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

College Graduation Gift

Was invited to a friend's home next weekend to celebrate their daughter's college graduation. I have known her since she was a little kid. Need gift suggestions...

by Anonymousreply 222May 26, 2023 12:44 PM

I sometimes give my favorite book, but it depends on whether she is an academic or just went to college to go. You could also go to a frame shop and get her a gift certificate to get her diploma framed.

by Anonymousreply 1May 14, 2023 6:27 PM

I know something that’s only $19.99.

by Anonymousreply 2May 14, 2023 6:50 PM

All kids want is money, OP.

I used to like to receive thoughtful presents, and I assumed that others were like me. So, if I was related to the college graduate or he/she was the child of a close friend, I would get them a Mont Blanc pen, thinking they'd appreciate having something nice as they started out in the world.

No. All they want is money.

by Anonymousreply 3May 14, 2023 7:05 PM

I agree with the money suggestion, but maybe paired with something else that isn't necessarily expensive - just thoughtful.

by Anonymousreply 4May 14, 2023 7:13 PM

Cash or giftcards

by Anonymousreply 5May 14, 2023 7:34 PM

VISA giftcards

by Anonymousreply 6May 14, 2023 7:34 PM

What did she study?

by Anonymousreply 7May 14, 2023 7:38 PM

How about a new Macbook Pro, O.P.?

by Anonymousreply 8May 14, 2023 7:49 PM

Buy her a Cross or Mont Blanc pen.

by Anonymousreply 9May 14, 2023 7:55 PM

Dildo.

by Anonymousreply 10May 14, 2023 7:56 PM

An Elsa Perreti pen…a gift that keeps on giving. It has always worked for my family & our recipients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11May 14, 2023 7:56 PM

give her a US passport application and prepaid visa-mastercard card for the associated fee.

by Anonymousreply 12May 14, 2023 7:56 PM

* Peretti

by Anonymousreply 13May 14, 2023 7:57 PM

There's lots of jewelry on Ebay. A silver necklace with a pendant of a butterfly, seahorse, heart, etc.

by Anonymousreply 14May 14, 2023 7:59 PM

A nice wallet for all the money she's going to make with that degree?

by Anonymousreply 15May 14, 2023 8:03 PM

homemade jam.

by Anonymousreply 16May 14, 2023 8:09 PM

The mother actually makes Jam.... and gives some to me every year... I'd rather not give a gift card... more ideas please.

by Anonymousreply 17May 14, 2023 9:19 PM

When I owned my gift store (located near three universities) and graduation was coming up, I used to suggest the Vera Bradley soft duffle bags for traveling. They are easy to travel with (whether for a week or weekend) and easy to keep clean. Feedback from the gift-giver was that the college grad loved it - especially because they were going to be traveling to go on job interviews.

Not certain if VB is still as popular with college girls, but any lightweight duffle bag /travel bag is always a welcome gift for that reason. Or if she will be moving out of state, but coming home for some weekends. Try to find out her favorite color / designer and go from there.

Cash / giftcards are always wanted but so impersonal.

by Anonymousreply 18May 14, 2023 10:31 PM

How much did you want to spend, OP?

by Anonymousreply 19May 14, 2023 10:45 PM

R18 Isn’t Vera Bradley what DL fave Sam Brinton stole at the luggage carousel?

I don’t know how well you know your friend’s kid but I gift stock to my nieces and nephews and some other children of friends. It doesn’t have to be crazy. You could give one share if you want. They need a brokerage account but many brokerage accounts are free now (like Robin Hood) and you could set it up with her. You basically buy it in your own account then transfer it.

What do you know about her interests? You could gift her stock related to an industry or company she likes. Be imaginative. If she likes to shop somewhere, figure out if it’s a product of a publicly traded company. People love it because it’s more personal than money or a gift card (and it’s not like you would be giving her life changing money anyway) and oftentimes it’s the first stock they own and it just sounds kind of cool to young people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20May 14, 2023 10:51 PM

I second the Montblanc pen suggestion. That’s my go to, or a nice pair of pearl earrings. Both are things that a new, female professional would be able to use.

by Anonymousreply 21May 14, 2023 10:54 PM

R3 mentioned the Mont Blanc pen as something *not* to give. And, frankly, I agree. Same goes for the necklace with the seahorse pendant.

by Anonymousreply 22May 14, 2023 11:04 PM

OP Ask a stranger on the street before you listen to all the maiden aunts clucking around here behaving as if it’s 1960 in Chagrin Falls, Ohio. Next thing we’re going to hear is “a sweater set” or a “portable Smith-Corona typewriter.”

by Anonymousreply 23May 14, 2023 11:05 PM

Luggage!

by Anonymousreply 24May 14, 2023 11:06 PM

R2 ahahahha. R2 wins this thread hands down.

by Anonymousreply 25May 14, 2023 11:10 PM

OP Would she like to work at Fabian Publishing? I have an in there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26May 14, 2023 11:15 PM

I found a pen/pencil set I received for one of my graduations---forgot I had it, couldn't remember who had gifted it and decided to throw it out.

by Anonymousreply 27May 14, 2023 11:17 PM

Vera Bradley?! Was Lillian Vernon sold out?

by Anonymousreply 28May 14, 2023 11:23 PM

[quote]I would get them a Mont Blanc pen, thinking they'd appreciate having something nice as they started out in the world. No. All they want is money

I wouldn't take this personally R3. I have a Mont Blanc pen, and frankly, never use it. It is just an impractical gift these days. No one even signs checks anymore.

by Anonymousreply 29May 14, 2023 11:23 PM

I received a Mont Blanc pen for my graduation on 1984. I still have it , and I use it almost every day.

by Anonymousreply 30May 14, 2023 11:25 PM

Jennifer Miller has some bangle bracelets that aren’t too expensive. They’re pretty basic designs that almost any young woman could wear, regardless of personal style.

I was going to suggest an Elsa Peretti cuff bracelet, but they’re very expensive. Sorry. My SIL got one for her college graduation, and she still wears it decades later.

by Anonymousreply 31May 14, 2023 11:33 PM

What for R30?

I mean, yes, I could use mine to make a grocery list, but that's about all I hand write these days.

by Anonymousreply 32May 14, 2023 11:34 PM

Anti-pregnancy pills, handfuls of them.

by Anonymousreply 33May 14, 2023 11:35 PM

Unless they already have tons of money I would give them cash or a check. That’s all kids want.

by Anonymousreply 34May 14, 2023 11:41 PM

hd cameras 2 help her started in the great onlyfans industry

by Anonymousreply 35May 14, 2023 11:47 PM

A Gucci leather Marmont Card Holder - you can choose from a variety of colors - cost a little more than $300.

by Anonymousreply 36May 15, 2023 12:00 AM

Unless you know her tastes and it appears you don't, a nice, not-too-expensive present and money or gift credit card. A card that can be used anywhere or for Amazon is better.

by Anonymousreply 37May 15, 2023 12:34 AM

R32 R30

Some people love fountain pens. I used to collect vintage Parker Vacuumatics, which I think are nicer than new Parkers and definitely nicer than Mont Blancs. But it's better to give that kind of gift only if you think the recipient will appreciate that sort of thing.

by Anonymousreply 38May 15, 2023 12:36 AM

R31

Elsa Peretti is also not everyone's style. If you give jewelry, make sure you include the receipt with the price removed and say that it's OK if she exchanges it for something she likes better. Money or a gift card are really the best gifts.

by Anonymousreply 39May 15, 2023 12:38 AM

Money is probably the most practical gift. That is what most of them want. You could ask the parent what she might like.

by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2023 12:54 AM

R36

I think it's ugly and ostentatious.

by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2023 12:58 AM

Yeah, that Gucci cardholder sounds like a waste of money.

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2023 1:19 AM

R29

Are you unemployed?

Do you not write notes, send cards, review papers or documents, or do much of anything?

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2023 2:19 AM

^ for R32

by Anonymousreply 44May 15, 2023 2:20 AM

I honestly don’t know if these are joke or real responses - pens? Cardholders? Is this 1985? Lol.

by Anonymousreply 45May 15, 2023 2:28 AM

[quote] Dildo

Yes, get them the Mount Black dildo.

by Anonymousreply 46May 15, 2023 3:06 AM

R45, what is your suggestion

by Anonymousreply 47May 15, 2023 3:09 AM

R45 I hear they sell a telephone dialer/stylus at Tiffany.

by Anonymousreply 48May 15, 2023 3:30 AM

[quote]Do you not write notes, send cards, review papers or documents, or do much of anything?

R43, are you 108 years old?

I'm in my sixties and a retired writer who sent a lot of notes and reviewed many papers, none of them handwritten in the last decade at least.

Pens for shopping lists and a very few scribbles for my own fleeting use. I bought six ballpoint pens more than five years ago and they are still holding up to their undemanding job.

Your idea that only the dimwitted and the idle don't need pens (and fine writing stock) is a little antiquated.

by Anonymousreply 49May 15, 2023 4:03 AM

$200 is plenty.

by Anonymousreply 50May 15, 2023 4:04 AM

What is degree is she receiving. That will determine what type of gift to give. For example, a teacher would have little use for a Mont Blanc pen or business card holder. A business woman would doubtfully travel with a Vera Bradley duffle.

Jewelry is personal. Does she wear silver or gold?

I’d give cash or a check enclosed in a nice card.

by Anonymousreply 51May 15, 2023 4:32 AM

That Vera Bradley stuff looks very frau-ish.

I’ve always thought it was spelled duffel, but apparently duffle is okay as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52May 15, 2023 5:01 AM

R52 I LOVE Vera Bradley!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53May 15, 2023 11:22 AM

A Tumi bag might make more sense than Vera Bradley. I'm the one who found a pen/pencil set from decades ago that I never used and I'd agree that it's a pretty anachronistic gift now. Money actually is less crass for graduation than for other occasions like birthdays. Unless someone is going to make six figures straight out of college or will be living at hime, the cost of setting up housekeeping always exceeds expectations and money is always appreciated. If you're going the gift card route, consider Ikea which enables them to buy a few items (even if its just decor) so that they don't just have hand me downs or garage sale/Craigslist furnishings.

by Anonymousreply 54May 15, 2023 11:44 AM

She might like to “journal” so a fountain pen is useful as well as elegant. A Montblanc is rather staid. A Pelikan Souvereran M400 White Tortoiseshell is elegant. Sailor comes out with special editions frequently and they are beautiful pastel colors. I’d recommend against a “set”. No one ever uses the pencil.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 15, 2023 11:54 AM

Money. Cash. Gift cards. No 22 year old wants a "gift" in the form of some preselected object they had no choice over. Her life is just starting and she probably doesn't want or need a lot of "stuff."

by Anonymousreply 56May 15, 2023 11:58 AM

Do not get a 22 year old a fountain pen. This isn't 1960. If she likes to "journal" it's likely involving a keyboard and mouse, not some fancy pen and stuffy stationary.

This place is truly hilarious sometimes.

by Anonymousreply 57May 15, 2023 11:59 AM

Jesus Christ, how old is R3?

Has anyone here even spoken to someone under 50 in the past 30 years??

Bemoaning "kids today" because they don't want a $300 pen. Good lord. Get a clue.

by Anonymousreply 58May 15, 2023 12:06 PM

Apple Tag - seems impersonal but the recipient will appreciate it tremendously once used

by Anonymousreply 59May 15, 2023 12:18 PM

1. Money (cash or card) + a book on financial literacy and/or business etiquette

2. Carry-on roller bag (very nice, hard case, think Monos, Away, Briggs, or Beis)

3. Spa or Salon certificate (mention cut+color or a facial to be interview ready, only if they won’t take it the wrong way)

by Anonymousreply 60May 15, 2023 12:20 PM

A copy of the book, The Millionaire Next Door and a check.

by Anonymousreply 61May 15, 2023 1:50 PM

Edit:

A copy of the book, The Millionaire Next Door, and a check.

by Anonymousreply 62May 15, 2023 1:55 PM

Perhaps a bra.

Ask her size.

by Anonymousreply 63May 15, 2023 2:39 PM

This thread makes it even more clear that lots of gifts are just a waste of money. Luggage? That’s pretty personal, actually. I’d want to pick it out myself.

I actually did give my sister luggage for some occasion. She exchanged it.

by Anonymousreply 64May 15, 2023 3:07 PM

R28 and R52 Vera Bradley has a huge following with college girls and graduates. They're very durable and practical. Tumi bags are ugly and very generic looking. If not VB, any travel bag / weekend bag - as I originally said, they'll probably be traveling for job interviews or for work.

Pens ? Stationery ? Card holders ? Seriously ? Those are great gifts for the 1987 grad.

by Anonymousreply 65May 15, 2023 3:09 PM

How much money? I’m guessing $50 as a minimum?

But Jesus, in this economy, $50 isn’t a small amount.

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2023 3:28 PM

Tumi is a Boomer brand. I'm older and have had Tumi luggage, so I'm not sneering, just making my observation.

In fairness, card holders have taken the place of wallets, for those who use credit and debit cards. I don't use my phone to pay for purchases (while I'm at a restaurant or brick and mortar store). I do use cards and, for purchases under $20, cash. My objection to the Gucci card holder is that it is overpriced ($300).

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2023 5:01 PM

A double ended electronic dildo in a Vera Bradley Dildo Cover!!!

It was a hit with my mudda, grandmudda, and nieces~

Dont forget the batteries, you cheap OP!

by Anonymousreply 68May 15, 2023 5:09 PM

[quote] [R28] and [R52] Vera Bradley has a huge following with college girls and graduates.

I don't care. It looks awful and frumpy.

by Anonymousreply 69May 15, 2023 5:13 PM

A nice abacus or sundial maybe.

by Anonymousreply 70May 15, 2023 5:17 PM

How about a broken homemade cookie in a napkin?

Like in Welcome To The Dollhouse.

by Anonymousreply 71May 15, 2023 5:29 PM

$50???? Good lord.

by Anonymousreply 72May 16, 2023 12:36 AM

If you do not know her well enough, then I think cash or a gift card is the best. Traditionally, you give things for the new job: A suit, a nice carrier for her laptop.

If you know a good hair salon, give her a professional make over, such a cut, color and style. This is nice.

A designer trench coat, a coat to wear in most weather to work. You need to know the measurements for this, she size.

IF she lives out of the home, a nice food delivery service my be appreciated. Something that can help her, well she is a newbie professional. Does she cook?

A new iphone. Though you might want to check about this with her mom or dad.

by Anonymousreply 73May 16, 2023 12:56 AM

R73 is hooked on meth, clearly.

My vote is for the double sided electronic dildo with the Vera Bradley Dildo Cover.

by Anonymousreply 74May 16, 2023 12:59 AM

A nice bottle of wine to help her celebrate. Ask her mother what she likes to drink.

by Anonymousreply 75May 16, 2023 1:15 AM

Someone gave me a trinket box from tiffany's to put on my desk which is still one of my favorite things, and a business card display. I got a lot of desk set pieces from tiffany's actually and loved them all. The ones that didn't hold up so well were the pen and the clocks- b/c I have to change the battery which basically means it will never work again since I won't bother to change it. A wallet business case was nice, I think it was something from things remembered with my initials engraved- definitely not expensive (maybe $40), I liked that. I got some jewelry too, but it was fine, not super exciting. Cash was good too.

by Anonymousreply 76May 16, 2023 1:39 AM

Oh, someone gave me a antique pen and I LOVE that. It was unique and beautiful and I always have it with me. All of the cross pens and stuff go into a drawer in the kitchen. I also got a louis vutton planner but that's pretty pricey.

by Anonymousreply 77May 16, 2023 1:42 AM

Pen fetishists.

by Anonymousreply 78May 16, 2023 1:56 AM

Unless the check is for a large sum of money, a check is impractical. When I am gifted a check, I never deposit it. I concluded the check is from someone who is cash strapped. I thank them but never cash it.

by Anonymousreply 79May 16, 2023 2:00 AM

I snorted away my graduation money. We all did.

by Anonymousreply 80May 16, 2023 2:42 AM

Cash and pepper spray.

by Anonymousreply 81May 16, 2023 6:43 AM

R73 What about a permanent?

by Anonymousreply 82May 17, 2023 4:10 AM

Money is the answer, but if you want to give them a small fun gift that either pulls from a memory you/they have, or is a favorite candy/sweet etc sort of thing you remember, then that doesn't need to be very big or expensive.

But yes, money is king

by Anonymousreply 83May 17, 2023 4:20 AM

A meaningful book and $$$

by Anonymousreply 84May 17, 2023 4:22 AM

And kids are cash greedy. You'd be expected to put at least $100 in an envelope and honestly even that's a little low.

Anyone showing up to a party with $25 in an envelope and a fucking fountain pen.....well, count on that being the last time you ever see those friends.

by Anonymousreply 85May 17, 2023 4:22 AM

Tudor watch...understated and elegant.

by Anonymousreply 86May 17, 2023 4:32 AM

I wouldn't give a female college graduate a pen. That's more of a high school graduation gift. Either give her money or ask her mother what she likes and give her a gift card. If she loves going to concerts, give her a Ticketmaster gift card, for example.

by Anonymousreply 87May 17, 2023 4:33 AM

if you buy a pen, make sure you buy the refills. It is difficult to get the refills, and expensive. I would not really want a pen.

by Anonymousreply 88May 17, 2023 4:57 AM

A vaginal steamer.

Every college grad needs a freshly steamed coochie to make enough money to buy that Gucci!!!!

by Anonymousreply 89May 17, 2023 5:04 AM

Lipstick vibrator.

by Anonymousreply 90May 17, 2023 5:06 AM

I gave all my nieces those for Christmas and they were thrilled.

by Anonymousreply 91May 17, 2023 5:07 AM

I just brought pen refills. The refills suck. This is not the way to go, at all.

by Anonymousreply 92May 17, 2023 5:08 AM

An AirTag if your budget is lower, an Oura ring if you want something higher priced that all the young women are into. Trust, I know young women that age, including my daughter. Nice sunglasses are also big, but you’d have to know her well to pull that off.

If she liked where she went to school, and is moving away, a print of some artwork that honors the area would be nice too. Or an original, if the price is right. They get more into decor when they graduate.

by Anonymousreply 93May 17, 2023 5:26 AM

Most of these replies add up to a chorus, not unlike this…

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 17, 2023 1:25 PM

No one writes with a fucking pen anymore you crusty old bitches.

by Anonymousreply 95May 17, 2023 1:41 PM

OP—

Give her $100 in check or cash in a nice card with a thoughtful note.

PLUS a small-ish gift basket filled with things she might need after graduation.

Is she backpacking through Europe? How about a phone charger/converter, sunscreen, selfie stick, etc.

Is she headed straight into a job? How about a nice coffee mug with K-cups, a metro card, a tiny framed pic of her dog for her desk, etc.

Since you’ve known her forever, try to make the items as personal as possible.

Wrap the whole basket in a cellophane bag that you get at the dollar store and tie with ribbons in her school colors. (If the dollar store has tiny graduation caps…add that to the top too.)

Tape the card to the back of the basket (so it doesn’t ruin the aesthetic)…and you’re done!

Your gift will be the belle of the ball!

by Anonymousreply 96May 17, 2023 2:07 PM

Dollar store?

$100?

by Anonymousreply 97May 17, 2023 2:08 PM

12 pack and a carton of smokes.

by Anonymousreply 98May 17, 2023 2:44 PM

One in the pink, two in the stink?

by Anonymousreply 99May 17, 2023 2:45 PM

What's a check?

by Anonymousreply 100May 17, 2023 2:46 PM

[quote] How about a nice coffee mug with K-cups, a metro card, a tiny framed pic of her dog for her desk, etc.... Wrap the whole basket in a cellophane bag that you get at the dollar store and tie with ribbons in her school colors. (If the dollar store has tiny graduation caps…add that to the top too.)

R96, I'm old, too, but your suggestions sound outdated and frau-tastic.

by Anonymousreply 101May 17, 2023 2:48 PM

The idea of a few personal items makes sense. K-Cups are bad for the environment and she probably gets coffee on the way to work or as an excuse for getting out of the office for a break. Travel gadgets do work fora backpacking trip---a converter for plugs is a good idea.

by Anonymousreply 102May 17, 2023 2:50 PM

$100 for a graduation gift would be a scarifice for me. For others who think it's "cheap", well, that's nice - you can afford it. Remember, this is a girl graduating from college who will probably write you a thank you note (if you're lucky) and forget about it. You don't have to make it the greatest gift of all time. You can't get some 21 or 22 year old personal items. Sunglasses? Money or a gift certificate is fine, and you don't have to give away a fortune, she's not getting married.

by Anonymousreply 103May 17, 2023 2:55 PM

This is why I wish the government still let you buy paper bonds as gifts. When I heard they weren't issuing paper bonds anymore (except as tax refunds) I bought some for kids that I knew I'd have to give gifts to one day. I just gave out my last ones for a college graduation. At least the i bonds kept up with inflation. (God do I sound old.)

by Anonymousreply 104May 17, 2023 3:00 PM

Just give the girl liquor or wine with a card in a gift bag. OP, you are making mountains out of molehills. Talk about first world problems.

by Anonymousreply 105May 17, 2023 3:07 PM

R88

Many fountain pens have refillable cartridges. You can use any compatible ink. A blotter is also nice to have.

by Anonymousreply 106May 17, 2023 3:19 PM

R95

Some people enjoy the sensuous experience of writing with a fountain pen. They also may use a pen for limited purposes, such as to sign something special or to write in their diary. I'm not saying a fountain pen is for everyone, but don't diss the idea.

by Anonymousreply 107May 17, 2023 3:22 PM

I agree with R107.

You don’t have to spend a lot of money on a fountain pen. Lamy has great ones for around $30 that come in lots of fun colors with cheap ink in lots of colors.

For those who say young people don’t write, I constantly see young people with journals and moleskin notebooks at coffee shops and bars. Not all do, but plenty young people like legacy tech. I have a friend who is a semi famous singer and with the premium packages of her recent albums hundreds of people have chosen to have typewriter-written copies of one song or another from the albums included in the package.

It really depends on what kind of girl this is. Is she a marketing grad, majored in Econ, or an early childhood education student? All of that matters too in what is appropriate and appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 108May 17, 2023 3:27 PM

R108

Right, you don't have to spend a lot on a pen, although one might want to spend more for one intended as a graduation present. Here's a guide from one of my favorite stationery sites, JetPens. I'm not suggesting it as a gift, but the cheapest pen mentioned, the Pilot Varsity, is actually a great pen for the price ($3.20). It's just a guide. It doesn't include Parker, which used to be my favorite brand, although I preferred the vintage Vacuumatic pens to the newer Duofold models which weren't that well made. It used to be possible to buy older Parkers relatively inexpensively online. I don't know if that's still true.

It's helpful if a pen can have its nib changed. Some people like a broad, medium, or narrow nib or a left handed nib.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 17, 2023 3:53 PM

^ The Fountain Pen Hospital is another good site for information.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 17, 2023 3:55 PM

$100 would be my upper limit, as well. Frankly, I'm tired of giving gifts to adult children of my friends & family. My cousin's daughter (early 20s) recently invited me to her wedding (destination wedding). I'm not close to either my cousin or her daughter. For the first time in my life, I RSVP'd no and did not send a gift, either.

by Anonymousreply 111May 17, 2023 4:13 PM

R111

Fair enough, but it sounds like OP likes this young woman, who he's known she was quite young.

by Anonymousreply 112May 17, 2023 7:27 PM

Definitely the double ended dilda.

With the Vera Bradley coverlet to protect the dilda from harm.

by Anonymousreply 113May 17, 2023 7:35 PM

My nephew just got his masters degree.

He made some nice change just from his dads side of the family.

by Anonymousreply 114May 17, 2023 8:07 PM

What’s the matter with Kansas is a great read to explain why much of the country is so conservative.

Is she intellectual OP? What university is she attending?

by Anonymousreply 115May 17, 2023 8:14 PM

Also OP are you Frau, straight man, or gay man?

by Anonymousreply 116May 17, 2023 8:15 PM

A chastity belt (maybe too late, though).

by Anonymousreply 117May 17, 2023 8:27 PM

A gift card to Sephora or Ulta , and if she wears perfume, a travel size of her favorite.

by Anonymousreply 118May 17, 2023 8:29 PM

Oh for fuck's sake, get her a 50 or 100-dollar VISA gift card and be done with it. She doesn't want duffel bags, or pens, or perfume, or any of that other crap. Even if she did, you wouldn't know the exact one she wants. Give her money and get on with your life.

by Anonymousreply 119May 18, 2023 2:02 AM

do not buy this person a pen, I mean really.

by Anonymousreply 120May 18, 2023 2:02 AM

Get her a high tech alarm clock.

And Please Post examples here.

by Anonymousreply 121May 18, 2023 2:03 AM

Since someone mentioned Cross pens I think I got a pen and pencil set from my mom once - and a few on other occasions from other people - and honestly they have to be the most uncomfortable pens to write with - the old, thin gold or silver kind, anyway - kept slipping out of my grip.

by Anonymousreply 122May 18, 2023 2:15 AM

Dr . Seuss’ Oh The Olaces You’ll Go

by Anonymousreply 123May 18, 2023 2:19 AM

*Places

by Anonymousreply 124May 18, 2023 2:19 AM

R119 I don’t believe in impersonal gifts for close family members or kids. It sounds like this girl might be like a niece or goddaughter to the OP. If you do give money give something of meaning as well.

by Anonymousreply 125May 18, 2023 3:05 AM

[quote] It sounds like this girl might be like a niece or goddaughter to the OP

OP:

[quote] Was invited to a friend's home next weekend to celebrate their daughter's college graduation. I have known her since she was a little kid. Need gift suggestions...

by Anonymousreply 126May 18, 2023 3:08 AM

R126 very true. I sometimes think I conflate certain OPs or posters with other threads.

by Anonymousreply 127May 18, 2023 3:23 AM

49 y.o. here and never used the many pen sets I got from 6th grade graduation up through grad school graduation. Nice in theory, completely useless in practice. Obviously there are fountain pen aficionados in the world, but they are few and far between--and unless you know the gift recipient to be one: Do. Not. Waste. Your. Money. On. A pen.

by Anonymousreply 128May 18, 2023 3:25 AM

A special and elegant niche perfume.

Namaste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129May 18, 2023 3:28 AM

OP answer me. I hate when posters don’t follow up on their threads. Are you Frau or man? Gay or straight? Trans or other?

by Anonymousreply 130May 18, 2023 3:33 AM

[quote] OP answer me. I hate when posters don’t follow up on their threads. Are you Frau or man? Gay or straight? Trans or other?

Answer her, OP! Don't you know you have to do as Queen Cersei commands the second she speaks?

by Anonymousreply 131May 18, 2023 3:42 AM

Oh The Places You'll Go

by Dr. Suess

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 18, 2023 3:46 AM

A strap-on. You could help her promote anal pleasure among straight guys.

by Anonymousreply 133May 18, 2023 3:47 AM

[quote] Oh The Places You'll Go by Dr. Suess

"Oh, Nothing..." by Alan Sues

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134May 18, 2023 3:49 AM

Oh the places you'll go!

It's a great Dr Seuss book that is like a pat on the back.

If that's not sufficient add in a 50 gift card to a shoe store she frequents, so she'll be comfortable and look good getting there.

Total cost: 70$

by Anonymousreply 135May 18, 2023 3:49 AM

A passport application. A beginners guide to Chinese where she will be able to get her dream job. A pair of sandals. A water bottle. A coffee maker. A pair of blue blocker sunglasses. A surfboard. A Volkswagen beetle classic car poster. A Cheech and Chong bong and poster. A Keep on truck in fabulous furry freak brothers poster and magazine. I recommend Grass roots. She's going to need humoring when she enters the big bad world. As six pack of coca cola. A sailing lesson. A wool blanket, Tartan Plaid of course. A good pair of socks is always apprreciated.

by Anonymousreply 136May 18, 2023 3:50 AM

Should we be administering last rites to OP?

by Anonymousreply 137May 18, 2023 3:53 AM

Lots of these suggestions would end up in a landfill. Physical gifts are not everyone's language of love.

by Anonymousreply 138May 18, 2023 3:55 AM

Everything ends up in a landfill.

by Anonymousreply 139May 18, 2023 4:00 AM

A framed photo of yourself, OP, to sit prominently on her desk at her new job. It will be a lovely reminder of your friendship, and a great conversation starter with her new colleagues when they inquire about the dishy beau in the silver frame!

by Anonymousreply 140May 18, 2023 4:31 AM

Enough with the pens. They were at best symbolic (write life saving prescriptions or sign important documents) a million year ago when people might have actually used them.

If you really know her than you can think of something personal but useful or you'll know if she really needs cash.

by Anonymousreply 141May 18, 2023 11:54 AM

I want the dildo!!!

by Anonymousreply 142May 18, 2023 1:53 PM

OP isn't even reading the thread any more. Doesn't matter what you answer.

by Anonymousreply 143May 18, 2023 1:57 PM

R135

OP should NOT give this young woman a $50 gift certificate for a shoe store. 1) He doesn't know her taste. 2) Do you have any idea how much women's shoes cost? Nice ones start at $100+. She should not have to add to the gift certificate to buy a pair of shoes.

Obviously, it depends on one's financial situation, but $70 is chintzy if you have money and are buying something for someone you've known for 20 years who is going out into the world.

I was given a $200 gift certificate almost a year ago for a clothing store and I still haven't used it because there's nothing I like. If you must give a gift certificate, make it to Amazon, which has all sorts of things, or a gift debit card that can be used anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 144May 18, 2023 2:51 PM

[quote] I was given a $200 gift certificate almost a year ago for a clothing store and I still haven't used it because there's nothing I like.

I understand yor point, but there's *nothing* you like, in a clothing store? What kind of clothing store is it? You don't have to use the whole thing up at one time, do you? Can't get a shirt, tie, belt? I'm just curious.

by Anonymousreply 145May 18, 2023 2:56 PM

If she's a republican, make a nice generous gift donation to the Democratic party in her name.

If she's a democrat, do the same to the Republican party.

If she's a Libertarian or if she's an Independent, make a nice generous donation to the war in Ukraine.

by Anonymousreply 146May 18, 2023 2:58 PM

A carton on French cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 147May 18, 2023 3:02 PM

This looks fun. Says he's bi. Nice smile. No tattoos.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148May 18, 2023 3:11 PM

[quote] OP should NOT give this young woman a $50 gift certificate for a shoe store. 1) He doesn't know her taste. 2) Do you have any idea how much women's shoes cost? Nice ones start at $100+. She should not have to add to the gift certificate to buy a pair of shoes.

If it's a shoe store that she likes, I don't see anything wrong with giving her $50. So what if she has to chip in $50 "extra" to get a pair of shoes. This is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 149May 18, 2023 5:09 PM

R143 I know I fkin hate OPs like this. 150 comments wasted on this prick. Greg died but OP lives. Life isn’t fair.

by Anonymousreply 150May 18, 2023 5:49 PM

R150, rumors of my demise have been greatly exaggerated.

by Anonymousreply 151May 18, 2023 6:24 PM

R149

Presumably, she's a college graduate without much money. If you're going to give her a certificate for a particular shoe store (bad idea, as I said), she should at least be able to buy a nice pair of shoes with the certificate alone. It's for a gift.

by Anonymousreply 152May 19, 2023 12:41 AM

^^^ I was being conservative when I said $100. Nice shoes are much more than that.

by Anonymousreply 153May 19, 2023 12:43 AM

My God, she's not 35 years old.

by Anonymousreply 154May 19, 2023 2:30 AM

I hear Merle Norman makeovers are all the rage.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155May 19, 2023 3:41 AM

Look, sorry if you don't like my shoe store certificate idea as a companion for the book..

...but what does this person really owe this kid? They graduated. Good for them. Show up to the party, keep them in mind if you hear of a good job they might be right for....the end.

If you feel inclined to give a gift, do so. If not, don't. This isn't a wedding. The rules are flexible.

100$ would be a very nice gesture, no question, but nothing here is really required.

No one bought me crazy stuff when I graduated. It was a heartfelt "good for you - what's next?" and that's all.

Anyway good luck OP.

by Anonymousreply 156May 19, 2023 5:41 AM

How about a nice Pandora charm to commemorate the occasion?!

by Anonymousreply 157May 19, 2023 10:45 AM

A set of Crane stationery cards and envelopes she can use to write thank-you notes with that Mont Blanc pen.

by Anonymousreply 158May 19, 2023 12:32 PM

R156

Well, guess what, OP is not you. OP WANTS to give a nice gift to a young woman he's known almost all her life. I didn't get fancy graduation presents either. That doesn't stop me from understanding what good presents would be, and I know what things cost.

by Anonymousreply 159May 19, 2023 12:36 PM

Don't bother defending OP, he's gone.

by Anonymousreply 160May 19, 2023 7:29 PM

Fuck you OP. Die in a million grease fires. Don’t ever post again.

by Anonymousreply 161May 19, 2023 8:50 PM

A Graduation card with a $100 bucks

by Anonymousreply 162May 20, 2023 4:42 AM

I SAID I WANT THE GODDAMNED DILDO! WITH THE VERA BRADLEY DILDO COVER/HOLDER!!!

I DON'T WANT A TRIP TO GODDAMNED SPAIN OR GODDAMNED PORTUGAL!

And I can't get off on a TIFFANY PEN! ASSHOLES.

by Anonymousreply 163May 20, 2023 11:58 AM

Actually, OP, I'm non binary and this whole thread is LITERAL VIOLENCE. Consider yourself uninvited. Woke folk only.

P.s. if you send a card, make sure you get my pronouns right, you dinosaur.

by Anonymousreply 164May 20, 2023 1:46 PM

Gift? Don’t you know? College Graduation “gift” means CA$H!

by Anonymousreply 165May 20, 2023 1:57 PM

The best gifts would be:

1. A job paying $50k or more.

2. A 1 BD apartment in a luxury building.

3. A new car, assuming they drive, but don't have one.

4. A trip for two traveling to Europe or Asia (Japan & South Korea) for a month.

5. A shopping spree or $1000 cash.

6. A $50-100 gift card.

Anything else is old people nonsense and will get lost, regifted, or thrown out.

by Anonymousreply 166May 20, 2023 2:11 PM

what did you get, op?

by Anonymousreply 167May 20, 2023 2:16 PM

R167 He won’t answer.

by Anonymousreply 168May 20, 2023 4:04 PM

OP bought itself the dildo and is fingering itself RIGHT NOW.

by Anonymousreply 169May 20, 2023 4:19 PM

I feel so used by OP. Used & tossed aside.

by Anonymousreply 170May 20, 2023 8:35 PM

I WANT THE DILLY!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 171May 20, 2023 9:46 PM

Lume starter pack

by Anonymousreply 172May 20, 2023 10:12 PM

I think you should get her a menstrual cup, OP.

by Anonymousreply 173May 20, 2023 11:14 PM

Please tell me the pen suggestions are jokes. You're seriously out of touch if you think anyone under 30 would have use for an expensive pen that requires refills. We're talking about someone whose year of birth begins with a 2. Get a clue. She probably doesn't even own stationery or know what it is, and no, she doesn't want that, either.

What she wants is cash. It's what every young person starting out needs the most. Give $250, or whatever you can afford, but at least $100. $50 is incredibly cheap for a niece's major milestone like college graduation. If that's all you can afford than I hope she understands.

BTW, according to online inflation calculators, $50 in 1975, around the time most Boomers were still starting out, would be worth over $280 today.

by Anonymousreply 174May 21, 2023 12:00 AM

I NEED THE GODDAMNED OVERSiZED DDIILLLDDDOOOoOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 175May 21, 2023 12:05 AM

I went to a graduation last night. Gift: $100

by Anonymousreply 176May 21, 2023 12:17 AM

OP has disrespected us all by not responding.

by Anonymousreply 177May 21, 2023 1:01 AM

Saying "give her money" is fine. But if you don't know OP, or the girl, don't dictate how much he should give.

by Anonymousreply 178May 21, 2023 1:40 AM

Month's supply of morning after pills.

by Anonymousreply 179May 21, 2023 1:46 AM

[quote] BTW, according to online inflation calculators, $50 in 1975, around the time most Boomers were still starting out, would be worth over $280 today.

In 1975, maybe $20 or $30 would've been how much you gave for graduation.

by Anonymousreply 180May 21, 2023 1:48 AM

In 1975 I won a scholarship given by the entire faculty of my high school - $150.

by Anonymousreply 181May 21, 2023 1:52 AM

A laptop bag, or combination laptop- weekender bag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182May 21, 2023 2:09 AM

Cha Cha heels are a sure thing.

by Anonymousreply 183May 21, 2023 3:41 AM

R180

For GRADUATION? Your relatives were cheap. I didn't get any graduation presents, but people who did got more than $30.

by Anonymousreply 184May 21, 2023 8:36 PM

Isn't $250 about right for a close relative or family friend? Anything less doesn't quite seem like real money these days.

by Anonymousreply 185May 21, 2023 9:39 PM

No, they're not giving you and a date dinner, like at a wedding.

by Anonymousreply 186May 21, 2023 11:08 PM

$5 gift card to McDonald’s

by Anonymousreply 187May 21, 2023 11:10 PM

R182 Oh god no! You DLers ARE old!

by Anonymousreply 188May 21, 2023 11:11 PM

"Real money" might depend on where you live. People who live where the cost of living isn't as high as NY, for ex., don't make as much money, either.

Anyhow today people expect more and more for gifts. It's really out of hand.

by Anonymousreply 189May 21, 2023 11:13 PM

Fleshlights

by Anonymousreply 190May 21, 2023 11:29 PM

Chia Pet

by Anonymousreply 191May 21, 2023 11:49 PM

A hug

by Anonymousreply 192May 22, 2023 2:57 PM

It's just a money grab, it needs to stop, send a card.

by Anonymousreply 193May 22, 2023 3:30 PM

Unless you're giving a gift to your parents, significant other or someone really well-off, everyone prefers cash. A gift card is just a more respectable way to give it. Most people are just bad at gift-giving, so just give the person a gift card inside a thoughtful card with a personal message.

by Anonymousreply 194May 22, 2023 3:39 PM

Target gift card. They can buy shit there.

by Anonymousreply 195May 22, 2023 5:39 PM

[quote] Isn't $250 about right for a close relative or family friend? Anything less doesn't quite seem like real money these days.

Not in my family or friends group. $100 is generous, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 196May 22, 2023 5:42 PM

Tip: tell ‘em you expect to see receipts to ensure they bought things that meet your standards of approval.

by Anonymousreply 197May 22, 2023 5:55 PM

[quote]Not in my family or friends group. $100 is generous, IMO.

I wish I were in your circle. In my family, you give $100 for HS, $200 for college and $300+ for post-grad. ($500 for graduating medical or law school). It's ridiculous. And we're OK, but not rich. The wealthier members of the family are of course cheap as hell.

by Anonymousreply 198May 22, 2023 9:53 PM

R198 Who made that decision?

by Anonymousreply 199May 23, 2023 12:04 AM

When I graduated from college, a rich friend of mine gave me his car, since he was graduating as well and heading back to Europe. Graduation at my Ivy League college was a jackpot for many. My parents, humble people, were taken aback by the wealth they couldn't quite process.

by Anonymousreply 200May 23, 2023 12:37 AM

NOTHING, OP. For reasons well known to her!

by Anonymousreply 201May 23, 2023 12:59 AM

[quote][R198] Who made that decision?

It's essentially a snowball. One or two relatives do it and then the rest of us look bad if we give less. There's one aunt in particular who just insists on giving the appearance of being generous (she's an awful woman truth be told), for the public praise. She's one of these people whose social media is all inspirational quotes and advice for a happy life, but we all know she once attacked her husband's mistress and went on the lam to avoid arrest.

by Anonymousreply 202May 23, 2023 1:43 AM

R202 Well it's nice that you have it to give, I guess.

by Anonymousreply 203May 23, 2023 2:51 AM

[quote] In my family, you give $100 for HS, $200 for college and $300+ for post-grad. ($500 for graduating medical or law school). It's ridiculous. And we're OK, but not rich. The wealthier members of the family are of course cheap as hell.

R198, have you / will you ever be on the receiving end of this cash-giving custom? If not, I'd say fuck it and dial back my spending. Who cares if you're not in the good graces of your family? What are they doing for you?

What do you mean when you say that the "wealthier member" are "cheap as hell"? Do they not fork over their $200 or $300? If not, sounds like you're getting played.

by Anonymousreply 204May 23, 2023 2:58 AM

Nah, I'm long out of school, R204, and unless I have like heart surgery or break an appendage, I won't be getting any gift cards. Christmas is when we tone it down, but graduations/weddings is where we have to give obscene amounts.

The wealthy relatives are just known for being cheaper and they don't give much and it's just expected, but the rest of us are just expected to pony up because while we're not wealthy, it won't break us. Yes, I resent it, but I have to give those amounts or I embarrass my elderly parents. I do it for them and no one else.

by Anonymousreply 205May 23, 2023 3:06 AM

OP here:

[quote] OP are you Frau, straight man, or gay man? r116/ r 130. Yes, I am.

by Anonymousreply 206May 23, 2023 3:29 AM

r137, r143, r150. r160, r161, r168, r177 - I am getting a restraining order... you're obsessed!

by Anonymousreply 207May 23, 2023 3:31 AM

R158 - i actually like the idea of Crane's note cards...

by Anonymousreply 208May 23, 2023 3:31 AM

R207 you dumb fkin cunt. We are not all the same posters of the comments you listed.

by Anonymousreply 209May 23, 2023 3:32 AM

R146, she is a democrat and there's no way in a grease fire that I would give a nickel to the republican party!

by Anonymousreply 210May 23, 2023 3:32 AM

R207, you may as well be... none of you have had an original thought in your entire lives...

by Anonymousreply 211May 23, 2023 3:33 AM

R211, I said I wasn’t coming back to this thread, smh at myself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212May 23, 2023 3:35 AM

Sadly, we know we haven't heard the last of you, r212.

by Anonymousreply 213May 23, 2023 3:45 AM

"Black Stallion Rotating and Vibrating Dildo, $21.99"

by Anonymousreply 214May 23, 2023 3:48 AM

R202 your Aunt kinda sounds great, she gives unnecessarily large gifts inducing others to match, she went on the lam, kinda want to hang out with her.

by Anonymousreply 215May 24, 2023 4:17 PM

Op is probably a sheep in every way. No backbone or initiative.

by Anonymousreply 216May 24, 2023 4:22 PM

Someone I know just purchased a $75 Visa gift card from our credit union for his niece graduating college. We're in central Ohio, but the niece lives in Colorado, if that makes any difference.

by Anonymousreply 217May 24, 2023 4:38 PM

^^No it doesn’t fool

by Anonymousreply 218May 24, 2023 4:40 PM

Give an "Unboxed Gift." ..... Money. This allows the gradate to buy what they need, and not have the poor taste of others imposed upon them.

by Anonymousreply 219May 24, 2023 5:02 PM

I would totally get her a cat.

No question.

by Anonymousreply 220May 24, 2023 7:31 PM

Lush is great

by Anonymousreply 221May 24, 2023 8:42 PM

For the young person who has everything.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222May 26, 2023 12:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!