Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

KIM NOVAK was a HORRIBLE actress, why was she even a star, let alone the biggest box office draw of the 50's ???

I just saw BELL,BOOK,AND CANDLE and I couldn't believe how bad and unfun she was. It's the worst performance ever by a major star. I had only seen her in VERTIGO, and she was not great, but not terrible. But this was another level of bad. And the make up on her...EW the eyebrow in the middle of the forehead, even worse than Ava Gardner

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600July 5, 2023 5:45 AM

Kim was a Movie Star *not* an actress.

by Anonymousreply 1May 9, 2023 6:56 PM

But was she good in anything ?

by Anonymousreply 2May 9, 2023 6:59 PM

She was considered good enough at the time, r2. You have to remember that her job description at Columbia was sex symbol. She wasn't any worse than Raquel Welch. I think she gives a lovely performance in Middle of the Night (in the role Gena Rowlands played on Broadway).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3May 9, 2023 7:14 PM

thks R3, I'll watch that. Ok she wasn't worse than Raquel Welch, but who was ? Raquel was not given serious parts, was she ? And she was not a star in the golden age

by Anonymousreply 4May 9, 2023 7:28 PM

What's wrong with Ava's brows?

by Anonymousreply 5May 9, 2023 7:33 PM

they're to high and too fake, and Kim's are the same but downright hideous

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 9, 2023 7:37 PM

very natural...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 9, 2023 7:39 PM

She was excellent in Middle of the Night.

by Anonymousreply 8May 9, 2023 7:39 PM

She was the Lavender Blonde.

Loved her in Vertigo.

by Anonymousreply 9May 9, 2023 7:41 PM

She had charisma!

by Anonymousreply 10May 9, 2023 7:42 PM

OP’s opinion is SO CORRECT that he has to TYPE IN CAPS TO REINFORCE IT!!

So fed up with imbeciles who declare their opinions as facts here.

You’re a piece of shit OP.

by Anonymousreply 11May 9, 2023 7:44 PM

Raquel was in BEWITCHED as a stewardess on a plane...they didn't even bother to film her face, you just see her ass

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 9, 2023 7:44 PM

R11 = Kim.

by Anonymousreply 13May 9, 2023 7:45 PM

There were two very obvious reasons Kim Novak was a box office draw.

by Anonymousreply 14May 9, 2023 7:45 PM

Shut up, r13.

by Anonymousreply 15May 9, 2023 7:46 PM

HI Kim !

by Anonymousreply 16May 9, 2023 7:47 PM

Are you all having fun being childish?

by Anonymousreply 17May 9, 2023 7:49 PM

She was drop-dead gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 18May 9, 2023 7:50 PM

I find her entertaining now. “Look see if I pull my face, I look like her!”

by Anonymousreply 19May 9, 2023 7:50 PM

Bell Book and Candle is one of my favorite movies of all time and it's one of the roles that Novak was actually perfect in: slightly mysterious, beautiful, and introspective.

According to the playwright, the play (from which the movie came) was actually about the underground life of gay men in the 1940s and 1950s, the "witches" being the gays. The clubs, the secret meetings, the power players.... all gay.

by Anonymousreply 20May 9, 2023 7:52 PM

what a poor taste you have

by Anonymousreply 21May 9, 2023 8:12 PM

Kim Novak is a riot as the egotistical, bitchy actress and rival of Liz Taylor in The Mirror Crack’d.

Also a huge fan of Ava Gardner.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 9, 2023 8:30 PM

*Every* age has their sex symbols with questionable acting talents, r4. Kim was silver age not golden.

by Anonymousreply 23May 9, 2023 8:38 PM

silver age ? that's new.

by Anonymousreply 24May 9, 2023 8:39 PM

Oh, shut the fuck up, OP.

Kim was playing a mysterious and conflicted witch in "Bell, Book and Candle" and she was just fine.

And Ava was so beautiful and focused the nuances you seem to have missed really didn't matter much in her roles. She even was fine in "Night of the Iguana."

by Anonymousreply 25May 9, 2023 8:43 PM

[quote] Also a huge fan of Ava Gardner.

you a lez ? must be. Only lezzies like Gardner

by Anonymousreply 26May 9, 2023 8:43 PM

R25 wasn't she supposed to be funny ?

by Anonymousreply 27May 9, 2023 8:45 PM

Not really, r24...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28May 9, 2023 8:46 PM

I just realized Pink could prob play her in a biopic based on looks alone.

by Anonymousreply 29May 9, 2023 8:47 PM

I liked her in the Picnic but it also happens to be one of my favorite moves of the 50s. I saw the movie as a child and was hoping she would go with Holden because they were in love. When I saw the movie as an adult I kept thinking she was a fool for going off with Holden and not marrying the rich guy.

by Anonymousreply 30May 9, 2023 8:48 PM

Kim who ?

by Anonymousreply 31May 9, 2023 8:50 PM

R11 somehow social media and the internet have brainwashed middle and low brow twatting trolls to communicate in this fashion. With declarative provocative trolling statements.

It's a pity because these people might have once been capable of reasonable and pleasant conversations. Perhaps not brilliant and witty but nevertheless, pleasant.

by Anonymousreply 32May 9, 2023 9:07 PM

Blonde/Big tits

by Anonymousreply 33May 9, 2023 9:08 PM

R32 tryng to be incisive...LOL. fail, bitch

by Anonymousreply 34May 9, 2023 9:15 PM

I've only seen her in The Mirror Crack'd, Vertigo, and Falcon Crest. She was the only reason to watch The Mirror Crack'd.

by Anonymousreply 35May 9, 2023 9:16 PM

I confess I've only seen her in Vertigo, and she was very good in the role. As were her breasts.

by Anonymousreply 36May 9, 2023 9:18 PM

[quote]She was the only reason to watch The Mirror Crack'd.

True. This movie was vulgar, and everybody was miscast.

by Anonymousreply 37May 9, 2023 9:23 PM

At the end of PICNIC, when Betty Field is pleading with her not to run away with Hal, she says, "He'll cheat on you, he won't get a job, he'll drink, he'll beat you," and Kim turns her, flat as an ironing board, and says, "Oh mom, you don't love a man because he's PERFECT!"

by Anonymousreply 38May 9, 2023 9:27 PM

Okay, we'll give you the eyebrows in Bell, Book & Candle, but everything else was PURRRRFECT...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 9, 2023 9:35 PM

Oh, she was decent in BB&C. She was gorgeous and she had a certain smoky charm that worked. Stewart was a worse piece of casting.

And she was decent in Picnic, where, again, the leading man was glaringly awful (Bill Holden).

But, no, she didn't get to Hollywood on her dramatic talent. But then, many others didn't either.

by Anonymousreply 40May 9, 2023 10:00 PM

The original stage production was Lili Palmer and Rex Harrison. Oh, how I'd have loved to have seen THAT!

Let's recast the film.

by Anonymousreply 41May 9, 2023 10:01 PM

thank you R39, for your honesty. I respect that you love this movie. It made me feel uncomfortable. To me, It was creepy instead of funny, Novak was very sexy but not charming and funny as I thought the script called for, she was speaking in a breathy manner that reminded me of the worst MGM school of acting, and the whole thing was very dark. Stewart OTOH was hilarious and quite charming. Just my opinion

by Anonymousreply 42May 9, 2023 10:02 PM

Lili Palmer was probably perfect, and she was stunning

by Anonymousreply 43May 9, 2023 10:03 PM

She was positively gorgeous; she was very underrated actress. She was under contract with Columbia Pictures. Studio mogul Harry Cohn was a thoroughgoing bastard. Yet, he mentored her and gave her excellent roles in great movies. She was his top star in the studio, in the 1950s.

Kim drove Harry Cohn into fits of rage. She had an independent streak. Kim sat in his office numerous times and he screamed and hurled invectives at her. When he heard about Kim's alleged affair with Sammy Davis, Jr., he had a heart attack and died. He was filled with rage. (It was 1959.)

Harry Cohn said that Kim's career would dissolve without his guidance. He was right, her career tanked in the 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 44May 9, 2023 10:25 PM

wasn't Cohn the prehistoric Weinstein ? He fucked Kim, right ? and again and again and again

by Anonymousreply 45May 9, 2023 10:42 PM

R43 She and Harrison were married at the time.

BB&C stage to film had a strange history. Zanuck bought the rights for his then-wife, Jennifer Jones, but she fell pregnant. Then Vera Miles, who was originally cast as the mysterious blonde in "Vertigo" fell pregnant. Novak's studio leant her out for "Vertigo" on the proviso that MGM lend Stewart out for BB&C.

Stewart was far too old and sexless. He admitted himself when he saw the rushes that he was way past romantic roles like this, and they had to work really hard to make him look young enough to get it up for a highly sensual woman being presented as in her late twenties.

I always enjoy the film, though, and one reason was the flawless script: it flowed well. Plus the charms of the lovely Janice Rule, who knocked her bitchy part out of the park, never mind Hermione Gingold as Mrs DePass and Elsa Lanchester as Queenie, Jack Lemmon as Gillian's feckless brother, and Ernie Kovacs as the alkie occult writer.

by Anonymousreply 46May 9, 2023 10:55 PM

^I forgot to mention the parrot:

"You're a fool! You're a fool! You're a fool!"

by Anonymousreply 47May 9, 2023 10:56 PM

^^And Pyewacket.

by Anonymousreply 48May 9, 2023 10:57 PM

Jennifer Jones would have understood the part and made it funny. She was a terrific actress whan she wanted

by Anonymousreply 49May 9, 2023 10:57 PM

[quote]but she fell pregnant

*Fell", r46?

by Anonymousreply 50May 9, 2023 11:02 PM

R49 I always thought the role should belong to a brunette, and that Merle should be a blonde, but it got reversed in the film.

And Vera Miles might have been a better choice in "Vertigo", too.

Show business is bloody. I'm an old balletomane (yes, that kind of English queer), and I remember the behind the scenes scandal of how Lynn Seymour lost out on the premiere of MacMillan's wonderful version of Romeo & Juliette, for which she'd been cast along with Christopher Gable. She fell pregnant during rehearsals and actually had an abortion to keep the part. Then the RB changed its mind and gave the parts to a still viable but early forties Fonteyn and to Nureyev for the box office. Sol Hurok said he wouldn't bring it over if they weren't in the leads. It was a bitter pill and the entire company was really angry.

Show business stinks.

by Anonymousreply 51May 9, 2023 11:09 PM

R50 I'm British. That's how we say it here.

We also say "found herself up the duff".

by Anonymousreply 52May 9, 2023 11:11 PM

[quote]And Vera Miles might have been a better choice in "Vertigo", too.

I don't see it. I don't see Vera as having any mystery.

by Anonymousreply 53May 9, 2023 11:13 PM

Vera Mles in Vertigo ? as the fascinating Madeleine ? Wasn't Vera Miles a pudgy little thing that was inexplicably cast in some Ford and Hitchcock movies and was always transparent ? who was already forgotten in her peak years ? Isn't there a vera Miles joke in THE MORNING AFTER that goes like "I was supposed to be the new Vera Miles;.. I could you be the new someone nobody remembers ?" ?

by Anonymousreply 54May 9, 2023 11:15 PM

Mrs. Gordon Scott, bitches, Mrs. Gordon Scott!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 9, 2023 11:20 PM

Vera Miles wasn't pudgy. R54! She was, in fact, lithe and beautiful--

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56May 9, 2023 11:22 PM

she looked fat in PSYCHO

by Anonymousreply 57May 9, 2023 11:27 PM

Vera didn't have a "face*, Kim had a *face*.

by Anonymousreply 58May 9, 2023 11:28 PM

You type fat, r57.

by Anonymousreply 59May 9, 2023 11:29 PM

Kim had a BACK. She was "the most beautiful back in movies"

by Anonymousreply 60May 9, 2023 11:29 PM

Novak was never the biggest box office draw of the 50's... she had a few good years as a box office draw and a few good movies, nothing more...she more or less retired from full time acting at only 33 years old...

the greatest scene she ever did on film, was being with the one and only clint walker and running her hands thru that glorious hairy chest and later the characters hinted at screwing (off camera of course) in their film " the great bank robbery" in 1969...

by Anonymousreply 61May 9, 2023 11:39 PM

R61 Novak WAS the biggest box office attraction of 1956, at least

by Anonymousreply 62May 9, 2023 11:57 PM

[quote] I liked her in the Picnic but it also happens to be one of my favorite moves of the 50s. I saw the movie as a child and was hoping she would go with Holden because they were in love. When I saw the movie as an adult I kept thinking she was a fool for going off with Holden and not marrying the rich guy.

[quote] At the end of PICNIC, when Betty Field is pleading with her not to run away with Hal, she says, "He'll cheat on you, he won't get a job, he'll drink, he'll beat you," and Kim turns her, flat as an ironing board, and says, "Oh mom, you don't love a man because he's PERFECT!"

LOL! r30 and r38. I had to quote your posts. They so perfectly captured my reactions to "Picnic", they earned an encore.

An astute DLer had me look at Novak's performance in "Picnic" in whole new light when they posted that her minimal acting talent actually was well suited, and helped enhance, her playing the role of Madge. Their point was that Madge was harmlessly shallow, if not slow, and a wooden performance helped that depiction.

Off-topic, but "Picnic" (the movie, I've never seen a stage production and I doubt I ever will) carries a personal hallmark for me.

Along with being one of the most poignant, sad movies I've ever seen, and along with what r30 posted, I realized I finally became a mature adult when it dawned on me that the ending is NOT a happy one. Mom is right.

The screenplay also contains a line that has been true throughout the ages and will be so into the far future:

"A pretty girl doesn't have too long. Just a few years. Then she's the equal of kings; she can walk out of a shanty like this and live in a palace!"

by Anonymousreply 63May 10, 2023 12:12 AM

Speaking of Bell, Book and Candle, I’m old but sometimes I still can’t believe Ernie Kovacs is dead. He was a huge star and his death was a shock. I knew his daughter Mia and, bizarrely, she died in a car accident 20 years after he did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64May 10, 2023 12:51 AM

Jennifer Jones wasn't married to Zanuck, she was married to Selznick...

by Anonymousreply 65May 10, 2023 1:18 AM

R64, every time I see Kovacs and Adams, I think of the last Lucy-Desi show ever filmed where Edie sang a haunting version of "That's All" to the two stars who weren't even on speaking terms at the time.

by Anonymousreply 66May 10, 2023 1:29 AM

R10- I like that word- it belongs on the thread Words You Don't Hear Anymore

by Anonymousreply 67May 10, 2023 1:45 AM

R64- Speaking of Ernie Kovaks- he was kinda hot. If I had been born when he died in 1962 I would have sucked him to completion.

by Anonymousreply 68May 10, 2023 1:46 AM

R66- For you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69May 10, 2023 2:04 AM

[quote]Their point was that Madge was harmlessly shallow, if not slow, and a wooden performance helped that depiction.

See Cybill in The Last Picture Show

by Anonymousreply 70May 10, 2023 2:40 AM

We named our family cat, Pyewacket. We loved Kim Novak.

by Anonymousreply 71May 10, 2023 2:56 AM

Kim was about as close as one could get to being the textbook definition of an ingenue. The fact that she's still living never ceases to startle me, as most all of her contemporaries died years ago.

by Anonymousreply 72May 10, 2023 5:37 AM

[quote]An astute DLer

that.never.happened... -120 000 /10 . Don't quit your day job

by Anonymousreply 73May 10, 2023 6:05 AM

R22, the scene is here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74May 10, 2023 6:09 AM

I love how Ernie Kovacs shows up these Kim Novak movies. In "Strangers When We Meet" he plays another bored novelist who's friends with an architect (Kirk Douglas) who works from his suburban home which provides excellent access to a horny housewife (Kim Novak) while her indifferent (implied gay) husband is at work.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75May 10, 2023 1:09 PM

Harry Cohn fucked Kim. He fucked her in the pussy, he fucked her in the ass, he fucked her in the mouth, sometimes he ass to mouth fucked her. He passed her around to the studio execs, he recorded her being gangbanged and covered in cum and piss. He used her. He wore her out

by Anonymousreply 76May 10, 2023 1:15 PM

She was fucking Richard Quine during SWWM.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 10, 2023 1:18 PM

who didn't that whore Kim fuck ?

by Anonymousreply 78May 10, 2023 1:20 PM

I still don't see anything wrong with Ava's brows.

by Anonymousreply 79May 10, 2023 1:42 PM

considering you don't see anything wrong with being a lez....

by Anonymousreply 80May 10, 2023 1:47 PM

R62... NO, Novak was NOT the number #1 box office star in 1956.... Back in that era, all the male stars regularly were bigger box office than any female.. in 1956, Novak barely made the top 10 in box office draws and was not even the top female draw, that was Marilyn....Marilyn was #7 and Novak was #9....

by Anonymousreply 81May 10, 2023 2:02 PM

Novak was good, perhaps not great in Picnic. She probably knew first hand what is was like to want something more than being the prettiest girl in town and wanted some adventure beyond her sheltered experience. Her limited range works with her character's naivety and while the rich guy was a more practical match, she knew she'd be unhappy with him, too. Cliff Robertson was no great shakes as an actor but it works here---a small town rich guy of limited imagination and depth. The film's cinematogrpahy is one of the best examples I've ever seen of "opening up" an adapted stage play----the cinema verite of the small town Labor Day events and the ending, following the bus out of town (with perfect Copland-esque music), add to a film that could have been weighed down with the stagey dialogue. Novak is supported by a great cast (other than Roz Russell's hammy performance) which actually makes her look better than if they had cast weaker supporting players. Holden is too old but just fine---Roberston also was a little too old, so the two are well matched as former friends.

by Anonymousreply 82May 10, 2023 2:18 PM

[quote]Harry Cohn fucked Kim. He fucked her in the pussy, he fucked her in the ass, he fucked her in the mouth, sometimes he ass to mouth fucked her. He passed her around to the studio execs, he recorded her being gangbanged and covered in cum and piss. He used her. He wore her out

Put down the meth pipe, OP.

by Anonymousreply 83May 10, 2023 3:33 PM

She was the Jean Harlow of her time; A "sex symbol" whose appeal is strictly limited to the time she was popular.

by Anonymousreply 84May 10, 2023 3:37 PM

Look for Broadway fave Phyllis Newman as one of Kim's high school girl friends in PICNIC. She has the rather startling name Juanita Beaver.

Also, look for Kim in her TV debut in 1956 as the Mystery Guest on What's My Line?, publicizing PICNIC, where male panelists Bennett Cerf and Desi Arnaz are virtually frothing at the mouth at her stunning appearance, all the more impressive with that barbaric early TV studio lighting and camera work.

by Anonymousreply 85May 10, 2023 6:39 PM

Novak's Madeline/Judy in "Vertigo" is one of the most iconic characters in the history of cinema. Sorry that OP proclaims she was a HORRIBLE (all in caps, lol) actress but I don't think the the camera would agree with that assessment. Some chalk it up to Hitchcock but in the end it's Kim who is spellbinding. Also, she's purr-fection in "Bell, Book and Candle".

by Anonymousreply 86May 10, 2023 10:33 PM

...and Phyllis Newman will have to do as Juanita Beaver.

by Anonymousreply 87May 10, 2023 10:37 PM

well she's in one of my all time favorite movies, Bell, Book and Candle and she was amazing......

by Anonymousreply 88May 10, 2023 10:40 PM

This is ridiculous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89May 10, 2023 10:44 PM

I loved Kim as Kit Marlowe in Falcon Crest. Loved Picnic too. So beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 90May 10, 2023 10:51 PM

Jane Wyman was a saint. Kim Novak was one of the many actors "of a certain age" she gave jobs to in the 1980s...Kim play Kit/Skylar stepdaughter of DL fave Ceasar Romero.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91May 10, 2023 10:56 PM

Don't know if many of you know this but Kit Marlowe was the name Harry Cohn wanted for Kim when he signed her at Columbia. Which she hated and wouldn't allow.

Her real name was Marilyn Novak and she knew she'd have to change Marilyn, for obvious reasons but insisted on holding onto Novak. When Cohn tried to compromise with the name Kit Novak, she rejected that, too, as she felt Kit suggested someone kittenish or foxy. I believe she herself came up with Kim, which she felt had an innocent child-like quality.

by Anonymousreply 92May 10, 2023 10:58 PM

I’ve never understood the appeal of Kim Novak. She was indeed minimally talented and even when she was young, her face was always done up with enough spackle and paint to stock an Ace Hardware. There was just something cheap and stale about her, always.

by Anonymousreply 93May 11, 2023 2:09 AM

[quote]—Kim Stanley and Kim Hunter, the first Kims

Bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 94May 11, 2023 2:16 AM

She was a major movie star, r93, I don't know what to tell you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95May 11, 2023 2:19 AM

[Quote]Kim drove Harry Cohn into fits of rage. She had an independent streak. Kim sat in his office numerous times and he screamed and hurled invectives at her. When he heard about Kim's alleged affair with Sammy Davis, Jr., he had a heart attack and died.

In an interview on French TV Capucine who was also under contract at Columbia in the 50's said Novak was Columbia's number one star and that Cohn sent the mob to visit Sammy Davis Jr. who was performing at the Sands in Vegas at the time.

Davis was told to stop seeing Novak or he'd get whacked and to marry one of the show girls in his act asap. He followed orders.

@ 35.10

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96May 11, 2023 2:29 AM

She was difficult on the set of "Eye Of The Devil". She wasn't happy about having a much younger, Sharon Tate beside her in the film. Novak was replaced after a "riding accident" by Deborah Kerr.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97May 11, 2023 2:43 AM

Kim could be just fine in the right part But if you want to see her be truly terrible, check out "Jeanne Eagels" (Kim attempting to evoke a legendary actress) and the camp classic "The Legend of Lylah Clare."

by Anonymousreply 98May 11, 2023 6:17 AM

Kim had a real sweet clit.

by Anonymousreply 99May 11, 2023 6:37 AM

She was Cohn's replacement for Rita Hayworth when Rita left for a vacation and married Prince Aly Kahn.

by Anonymousreply 100May 11, 2023 6:43 AM

Some of the posts are laughable. One of the most iconic part in cinema ? ok, but Kim was notoriously AWFUL in VERTIGO. Hitchock himself said he lost interest in the movie when she was cast, couldn't stop apologizing for her TERRIBLE performance during the promotion of the movie, told the press how much he HATED her and how she had DAMAGED and even RUINED the movie. She was BAD in PICNIC, completely WOODEN and AWKWARD, the movie is unwatchable. She was even WORSE in BELL BOOK AND CANDLE. Elizabeth Montgomery wiped the floor with her in BEWITCHED and showed the world how it should have been. She was still ATROCIOUS in THE MIRROR CRACKED. That woman didn't know how to act at all, was not funny, was not charming. She had a heavy face and a good body, and she moved it well, but it all ended when Cohn dropped her, and mercifully so

by Anonymousreply 101May 11, 2023 9:48 AM

Novak, Gardner, Mansfield, Jane Russell were whores with big boobs who couldn't act their ways out of a gangbang, and belonged to the Copacabana school of acting . They make Liz Taylor and Natalie Wood look like Sarah Bernhardt and La Duse

by Anonymousreply 102May 11, 2023 9:59 AM

She was the Jennifer Lawrence of her day and age, minus the oscar. Cohn did 't dare pull that one

by Anonymousreply 103May 11, 2023 2:00 PM

Also from OP:

HAEMORRHOIDS LIGATURE

[quote]I had a huge set of haemorrhoids showing up weekly almost, so doctor boss said he was going to perform "ligature" because " surgery was no picnic". He said it was painless and I could drive home after the operation. He lied to me. It hurts like HELL. I am sorry for every dick I took up there, and I took hundreds. I almost fainted on my way home. I don't want to eat, for fear, of, you know. I don't want anyone or anything messing with that part of my body anymore, ever. HELL!

by Anonymousreply 104May 11, 2023 3:18 PM

Why do lthe lez like so much digging up other threads to " confront " posters ?I know what I've written, dearie, what's your point ? you're still a miserable, self-hating dyke, ya know ?

by Anonymousreply 105May 11, 2023 3:20 PM

FYI, Gwynn, I also wrote this (which I' quite proud of ), in the "Best leading actress and her specific film role " thread :

Kim Novak : The female lead in " Gangbang in Harry Cohn's office, for the attention of Sam Giancana" part I and II , and its sequel " Gangbang in Harry Cohn's office, ft Sam Giancana, for the attention of Sammy Davis Jr"

by Anonymousreply 106May 11, 2023 3:31 PM

Rumors are the Kim Novak also has testicular feminization just like Jamie Lee Curtis

by Anonymousreply 107May 11, 2023 4:26 PM

that accounts for the very masculine mug then

by Anonymousreply 108May 11, 2023 4:27 PM

It's been reported that when Monroe and Novak were having dinner with Bob Kennedy, they both would prepare "interesting questions" scribbled on little pieces of paper hidden in their garnments , so as not to appear stupid. I bet they didn't read them when they were being drugged and gang raped by Giancana's guys on tape at lake Tahoe

by Anonymousreply 109May 11, 2023 4:31 PM

Everybody knows that Novak left Hollywood overnight when Monroe was clipped by Giancana'crew. She knew she was walking over the same bridge

by Anonymousreply 110May 11, 2023 4:38 PM

R109, what’s the story about the gang raping??

by Anonymousreply 111May 11, 2023 5:00 PM

Giancana used Sinatra to lure Monroe and co to Cal neva lodge, where they were drugged and gang raped on record, and the tapes sent to Kennedy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112May 11, 2023 5:07 PM

According to those who saw the tapes, they were filthy. The girls were drugged out of their minds, crawling on the floor, and these wise guys were going everywhere, in their pussy, their ass, their mouth, dribbling everywhere and laughing

by Anonymousreply 113May 11, 2023 5:13 PM

No way could I get hot women like Grace Kelly and Kim Novak falling in love with busted face one-note Jimmy Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 114May 11, 2023 5:29 PM

Because Rainier de Monaco and Sammy Davis JR were so hot...when men are famous/rich, they can grab'em by the pussy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115May 11, 2023 5:34 PM

How could Kim Novak ever be a replacement for Rita Hayworth who could dance her ass off?

by Anonymousreply 116May 11, 2023 5:48 PM

Rita was no Dame Edith Evans for sure, but she could dance, she could act a little, and she had tons of class. Comparing her with that prize cow Novak is downright insulting

by Anonymousreply 117May 11, 2023 5:55 PM

[quote]According to those who saw the tapes, they were filthy. The girls were drugged out of their minds, crawling on the floor, and these wise guys were going everywhere, in their pussy, their ass, their mouth, dribbling everywhere and laughing

Again, OP, put down the meth pipe.

by Anonymousreply 118May 11, 2023 6:30 PM

By the 1950s less musicals were being made. Even Rita stopped making musicals after Down to Earth though they always included a dance in her later films until she wanted to be a straight dramatic actress.

by Anonymousreply 119May 11, 2023 9:07 PM

She also didn't sing, r119, so it made sense.

by Anonymousreply 120May 11, 2023 9:09 PM

Talk about stupid bitchery! Starting with OP, these nasty, ill-informed queens should get lost, pronto.

by Anonymousreply 121May 11, 2023 9:30 PM

The 1950's were rife with big musicals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 11, 2023 10:13 PM

Yes but not as many movie musicals were made as in the later 1940s, certainly not a Columbia. Ann Miller picked the wrong time to get married and leave. And she picked the wrong man.

by Anonymousreply 123May 11, 2023 10:17 PM

Rita looked older than her years in Pal Joey 1957 with Frank and Novak.. At only 39 pills and booze were already showing on her face. Still magnificent though. And Novak looked stunning.

by Anonymousreply 124May 11, 2023 10:31 PM

^^^^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125May 11, 2023 10:32 PM

^^ I mean to say and no Kim did not looking stunning.

by Anonymousreply 126May 11, 2023 10:38 PM

Novak had a big face. Her face is almost freaky but very masculine.

by Anonymousreply 127May 11, 2023 10:38 PM

Kim had one of those massive Hollywood heads that photographs well. She had a good voice too. I think she's better in "Vertigo" than Jimmy Stewart and Barbara Bel Geddes.

by Anonymousreply 128May 11, 2023 10:41 PM

She's not supposed to be funny in BB&C. She's supposed to be enigmatic and sexy which she is, in droves. She's sort of the straight man of the play if you will. The jokes are given to the other witches.

by Anonymousreply 129May 11, 2023 10:44 PM

I've never seen Vertigo or bell book and Candle but I loved her in Picnic and I love the theme song Picnic/Moonglow. I was a small child when she was popular.

by Anonymousreply 130May 11, 2023 10:47 PM

I always liked seeing her>sometimes bad acting on the right person can elevate>

by Anonymousreply 131May 11, 2023 10:55 PM

I don't like Vertigo because of her. But then I think Madeleine is a very hard part to play. I love Vera Miles and she was certainly a better actress than Novak but I'm not even sure she could have pulled it off. IIRC Hitchcock didn't really have that kind of woman before. His women tended to be more down-to-earth even when a glamorous blonde.

by Anonymousreply 132May 12, 2023 12:08 AM

When Ernie Kovacs was killed cars had no seat belts, airbags and the windshields were made of glass that turned your face into a jigsaw puzzle if you went through them.

by Anonymousreply 133May 12, 2023 10:43 AM

Kovacks left behind a lot of debts. Edie Adams took any job that came her way to avoid bankruptcy. She was good at Eve Arden-ish roles.

by Anonymousreply 134May 12, 2023 11:21 AM

To me, Novak isn't playing a dual role in Vertigo. She's playing Judy Barton the whole way through. First as Judy, a mistress of a wealthy business man, who's originally from Salina Kansas and now lives in SF and works at a department store salesgirl, pretending to be Madeline in order to lure Scotty to be a dupe in a crazy scheme to knock off the real Madeline. Judy isn't an actress. A girl like Judy should not be a skilled brilliant actress. She manages to pull of Madeline because she's icy hot and that manages to ensare Scotty. Most interesting part of the Madeline half of the film is seeing those brief moments when the real Judy reacts to Scotty and feels drawn to him. And the second half, Novak is excellent playing the trapped and pathetic Judy, who tries at times to hold on to some part of her identity as Judy, but having to give in to be Madeline again because she's fallen for Scotty and feels great guilt for what's she's done.

Picnic also benefits from Novak not being a skilled theatrical actress. Yes she has a few stiff line readings but unlike most of the cast, who seem to be performing for a live theater audience and go over the top (I fault Joshua Logan for this as he was a theater director and still inexperienced to film making), Novak is performing for the more intimate camera. She's not ACTING, she's being and as a result she's quite touching and sympathetic as Madge and it's no wonder Picnic made her a top star.

by Anonymousreply 135May 12, 2023 11:23 AM

"To me, Novak isn't playing a dual role in Vertigo. She's playing Judy Barton the whole way through."

Heck yeah! That's the thing about Novak's performance, the first time I saw the movie I thought she wasn't a good Madeline, I thought she was stiff and not nearly as ethereal as she was supposed to be. But she wasn't supposed to be ethereal, she was supposed to be this low-rent shopgirl trying to be ethereal, and not doing an incredibly good job.

She was absolutely fantastic in the role in spite of being a poorly trained and extremely uneven actress. It was IMHO the one time she absolutely nailed a complex, multi-layered role, but then it was probably the only time anyone ever offered her a complex and multi-layered role.

by Anonymousreply 136May 12, 2023 12:44 PM

Hitchcock wanted Grace Kelly to be Madeleine.

by Anonymousreply 137May 12, 2023 1:29 PM

Grace Kelly could never have made "Vertigo", not in a bazillion years! Yes, she would have been ravishingly ethereal as Madeline... and hopeless as Judy.

That's what made Novak work, the fact that she wasn't ethereal, she was a strong solid gal who didn't actually like glamming up. Like someone said above, Novak was playing Judy all along, and she was far more like Judy than Madeline, she actually was the regular gal who was being glammed up by others. Kelly was far more like Madeline than Judy, she spent her life as the bird in a variety of gilded cages, she wouldn't have had a clue how to play Judy.

by Anonymousreply 138May 12, 2023 1:55 PM

That's a good point, R138, I can imagine that Kelly would have 'acted' Judy in a very obvious way.

by Anonymousreply 139May 12, 2023 4:31 PM

R64 Did you ever meet Edie Adams? I’m glad Ernie Kovacs got some attention on this thread. His show was a boon while in quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 140May 12, 2023 4:37 PM

Rita was 39 ??? she looks 50

by Anonymousreply 141May 12, 2023 9:39 PM

R64 Did you know Kippie as well? The husbear's gay Swiss uncle went to Uni in Los Angeles and he knew Kippie who he said was a lesbian. I recall he said she drove a motorcycle like a fabulous fun wild woman.

Edie Adams was well-liked by the Cinecitta crowd in Europe. Decent and unaffected.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142May 12, 2023 10:07 PM

TCM showing PICNIC tonight! 7 PM central -

NEEWALLAH!!

by Anonymousreply 143May 12, 2023 11:36 PM

I didn't enjoy picnic. THe guy was bad at acting and obviously drunk, Kim was stiff, I wasn't interested in the story

by Anonymousreply 144May 12, 2023 11:47 PM

Picnic streams here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145May 12, 2023 11:49 PM

William Holden just oozed sex in "Picnic".

by Anonymousreply 146May 13, 2023 1:16 AM

The general opinion seemed to be that he was too old for the part. He’s great, had a great career.

I really like old Bill Holden in Wild Rovers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147May 13, 2023 1:32 AM

He had no gay appeal. I don't find him hot and I've never heard another gay lust for him.

by Anonymousreply 148May 13, 2023 1:52 AM

“Hey, beefcake, get in.”

So I…got in”.

by Anonymousreply 149May 13, 2023 1:57 AM

It's kind of amazing that Novak, Eva Marie Saint and Tippi Hedren are all still with us. How can actresses from the Hitchcock era still be alive? Those movies feel like they made 100 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150May 13, 2023 2:03 AM

Picnic is a great film and holds up. Kim being stiff and Holden too old actually makes the movie work.

by Anonymousreply 151May 13, 2023 2:07 AM

She became a recluse after reading all the comments on DL about her facelift at the Oscars. Now she's being called a horrible actress. This poor woman has been through enough.

by Anonymousreply 152May 13, 2023 2:11 AM

Please, she’ll be fine.

by Anonymousreply 153May 13, 2023 2:14 AM

I agree with the posters saying that she is absolutely wonderful in Vertigo. She was perfect for the part, and film critics and historians agree. Kim also seems like a lovely and sensitive soul in the interviews she has given for TCM over the years. Kindly fuck off, OP.

by Anonymousreply 154May 13, 2023 2:26 AM

Bipolar people do seem lovely and sensitive souls generally. Until they lose their shit.

by Anonymousreply 155May 13, 2023 2:29 AM

"The general opinion seemed to be that he was too old for the part."

It's true, some things are only forgivable in the young, like drifting around refusing to get a real job or to commit to anything. And Holden looked about 50, even if he was officially 38, and that's just too damn old for a person to be bumming around and seducing girls just out of high school.

by Anonymousreply 156May 13, 2023 3:03 AM

R145 thank you for the link. Just finished watching it. Actresses were a lot fatter in the 50s. Novak is much thicker than the actresses of today. Her arms, waist, and hips are a lot bigger.

by Anonymousreply 157May 13, 2023 4:48 AM

She had a great body.

by Anonymousreply 158May 13, 2023 1:04 PM

Melanie Griffith looks older than Tippi Hedren. I agree with the poster who said that William Holden looked a solid 50 in picnic. Kim was so thick, no wonder she still alive, she's built like a truck. I prefer elfin celluloid princesses like Pier Angeli and Natalie Wood, but they tend to have the life span of a dragonfly. I wouldn't be surprised if Kim outlived me, and I'm only 52 (looking 41)

by Anonymousreply 159May 13, 2023 1:18 PM

Good Lord, R159, Novak was never *fat*, never obese, she was just a big, heavy-boned, man-jawed, solid, muscular, healthy girl! Probably physically healthier than those "elfin" types who spend their youth living on coffee and cigarettes.

You don't have to say that a someone who looked like a strapping Polish farm girl is beautiful, but talking like any female who weighs more than 90 pounds is going to drop dead of an obesity-related heart attack is ludicrous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160May 13, 2023 5:59 PM

Grace Kelly could have played Madeline/Judy. She was a very good actress and was terrific in THE COUNTRY GIRL.

by Anonymousreply 161May 13, 2023 8:47 PM

Grace Kelly was laughable bad in "The Country Gilr".

by Anonymousreply 162May 13, 2023 10:55 PM

R157 no one is saying she is fat. She is a lot bigger than the actresses of today. She is a normal weight but she could never get away with her body type for a starlet today. I think she had a good body.

by Anonymousreply 163May 13, 2023 11:14 PM

She looks to be a size 8 or 10. Today you are expected to be a size 4.

by Anonymousreply 164May 13, 2023 11:16 PM

She's PHAT

by Anonymousreply 165May 13, 2023 11:27 PM

The word is bovine.

by Anonymousreply 166May 13, 2023 11:27 PM

OMG EXACTLY. SHE'S BOVINE

by Anonymousreply 167May 13, 2023 11:29 PM

How did she get away with the extra weight? All the babes who went to Hollywood were told almost immediately to slim down to about 10-15 pounds under weight.

by Anonymousreply 168May 14, 2023 12:04 AM

Marilyn was bovine too. They were allowed to be fatter in the 50s. Women were supposed to have curves.

by Anonymousreply 169May 14, 2023 12:23 AM

The men were getting hard-ons for Marilyn Monroe, not Audrey Hepburn.

by Anonymousreply 170May 14, 2023 12:27 AM

Rita put on weight when she did Miss Sadie Thompson. I guess to look more blowsy.

by Anonymousreply 171May 14, 2023 12:33 AM

[quote] Novak was replaced after a "riding accident" by Deborah Kerr.

Right by Kerr? Luckily she wasn't hurt as well.

by Anonymousreply 172May 14, 2023 12:33 AM

Mitzi claimed to have bigger breasts than Marilyn but I'm not sure.

by Anonymousreply 173May 14, 2023 12:35 AM

Novak was about the only costar Holden didn't try to bed. He found her FAT. He liked Audrey.

by Anonymousreply 174May 14, 2023 12:38 AM

Rita, Mitzi and Marilyn were toned from dancing and or exercising. Not Kim.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175May 14, 2023 12:47 AM

Did Kim ever dance? Not so much in Pal Joey.

by Anonymousreply 176May 14, 2023 12:48 AM

Ah yes Moonglow in Picnic. But that is more moving than dancing.

by Anonymousreply 177May 14, 2023 12:49 AM

Just shows how we all see things differently. I thought Holden was sex-on-a-stick in Picnic.

by Anonymousreply 178May 14, 2023 12:58 AM

Vivian Vance would have been perfect as Judy/Madeleine…

by Anonymousreply 179May 14, 2023 1:13 AM

I'm so glad we have Novak rather than Miles, for whom Hitchcock intended the role(s), in Vertigo. All of Novak's strengths and limitations lined up to make her ideal for the film. Stewart is another story. If it's a fever dream of late-middle-aged obsession, Stewart acquits himself fine.

by Anonymousreply 180May 14, 2023 1:29 AM

[quote] no one is saying she is fat. She is a lot bigger than the actresses of today. She is a normal weight but she could never get away with her body type for a starlet today. I think she had a good body.

She's tiny. I stood next to her. Probably even smaller in the 50's. Delightful lady, very sweet.

by Anonymousreply 181May 14, 2023 1:52 AM

OP, she was not the biggest box office draw of the 50s.

by Anonymousreply 182May 14, 2023 2:01 AM

She claimed to have been 5'6" so not tiny for those days. Surely she's shrunk over the decades.

by Anonymousreply 183May 14, 2023 2:05 AM

[quote] Did Kim ever dance? Not so much in Pal Joey.

I'm not sure that shuffle Nokak does towards Hall is dancing. As r177 says, it's more moving.

You can see when Madge claps that she's a full-figured woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184May 14, 2023 2:13 AM

ooops. Nokak - Novak

by Anonymousreply 185May 14, 2023 2:13 AM

Now she looks like Terrence and Philip from South Park

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186May 14, 2023 2:19 AM

Kim Novak was mysterious. That was her ace. Beautiful, smoky voice, alluring, and mysterious. She's actually very good in Vertigo, exactly right. Vera Miles wouldn't have made the movie any better.

But that quality fell away with age, as it always does. Kim could not play characters.

P.S. I like The Mirror Crack'd, for Elizabeth Taylor, again, exactly right (the aging actress who "plays" her scenes over and over). (trembling, terrified) —"The COFFEE..." She's great. Angela Lansbury, post Mrs. Lovett, was wasted here.

by Anonymousreply 187May 14, 2023 2:20 AM

Hitchcock blamed Stewart's aging appearance for the failure of Vertigo, not Kim Novak. Notably, Vertigo is now at the top of most "greatest films ever" lists, so Kim Novak must be considered pretty successful in it.

by Anonymousreply 188May 14, 2023 2:25 AM

[quote]Kim Novak was mysterious.

She was vacant which read as mysterious.

by Anonymousreply 189May 14, 2023 2:30 AM

But that's all you need in the movies.

by Anonymousreply 190May 14, 2023 2:35 AM

You need more than that, r190. Kim could get away with it because of her beauty.

by Anonymousreply 191May 14, 2023 2:39 AM

Someone post that damn 1956 appearance on What's My Line?!

by Anonymousreply 192May 14, 2023 4:19 AM

What is my line

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193May 14, 2023 4:50 AM

Never found her beautiful. Looked like a hard faced hooker.

by Anonymousreply 194May 14, 2023 5:26 AM

She evokes Jean Harlow and her other 1930s divas in that WML clip. How can anyone watching that not see how gorgeous she was in her prime?

by Anonymousreply 195May 14, 2023 1:09 PM

She had a mysterious quality that worked for Vertigo just as her naiveity and awkwardness worked in Picnic. She did not transition well into character roles and she lacked the kind of distinct personality that stars of older Hollywood could bank on well into the 70s.

by Anonymousreply 196May 14, 2023 1:42 PM

Kim Novak was a movie star with a big box office draw. That was what she was hired for, not so much for her thespian skills. Her looks got her far, and with training and a good director, she was a capable actress.

Her peak years were probably 1955 to 1958. And with Harry Cohn dead in 1958, Novak lost her Queen Bee status at Columbia, which spurred her career decline in the 1960s. By 1965, she had semi-retired from showbiz, popping up occasionally to do crappy movies and tv shows.

Even though Novak starred in the remake of "Of Human Bondage," I don't think she was ever invested in herself to being the next Bette Davis.

by Anonymousreply 197May 14, 2023 3:29 PM

I watched about 30 minutes of Picnic last night. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 198May 17, 2023 12:09 AM

Roz steals Picnic. You should have hung on just for her.

by Anonymousreply 199May 17, 2023 12:18 AM

Kim Novak is also excellent as Molly in "The Man With the Golden Arm" (1955) playing a cigarette girl with a heart of gold. What is surprising is that Otto Preminger directed that one and you would think that he would have tore Novak to pieces. But she is completely real and believable in the part. Novak was good at playing unsophisticated, beautiful but insecure working class women. That was because that was basically what she was. She said in an interview that she didn't really act like another person but opened up herself to the role. Hence she is believable was Judy the waitress in "Vertigo" but weirdly artificial and unreal (if ethereally beautiful and mysterious) as Madeleine. It works because we learn that (SPOILER) Madeleine was never a real person. She is also good as an unhappy suburban wife in "Strangers When We Meet".

She could be good in the right role.

by Anonymousreply 200May 17, 2023 12:18 AM

Roz is a ham in "Picnic". Worst thing in the film.

by Anonymousreply 201May 17, 2023 12:20 AM

Her first film, Pushover, she made a very effective and sultry debut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202May 17, 2023 12:25 AM

I just watched Bell Book and Candle last night and thought she was perfection. Also great in Vertigo. Like Natalie Wood she's not a great actress nor is she a terrible actress. But she's never boring on screen.

by Anonymousreply 203May 17, 2023 12:35 AM

1958/59 was her peak--4 films in which she's perfectly cast and she delivers in all of them--Vertigo, Bell book and Candle, Middle of the Night and Strangers when We Meet.

by Anonymousreply 204May 17, 2023 12:47 AM

Wood was a bit more skilled as an atress.

by Anonymousreply 205May 17, 2023 1:10 AM

Well, thank you OP for explaining that to us. Now we know.

by Anonymousreply 206May 17, 2023 1:12 AM

She was very sweet in that interview with Robert Osborne on TCM a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 207May 17, 2023 2:19 AM

"Like Natalie Wood she's not a great actress nor is she a terrible actress. But she's never boring on screen."

She could be genuinely terrible, "The Legend of Lylah Clare" is considered a camp classic for a reason! Truly a film that only a Datalounger could appreciate.

We don't see too many actors like her any more, someone who was practically pulled off the street because they were photogenic, and shoved in front of the camera without any regard for whether they could act or notm that happened in the Studio Era but not now. Perhaps the closest modern equivalent is Charlize Therone, who started out as just another photogenic blonde... but Charlize buckled down and learn to *act* in a way that Novak never did. Novak never seemed to get serious about acting, she was good in some roles but had as little range as an actor can have.

by Anonymousreply 208May 17, 2023 2:44 AM

The TCM interview was phenomenal. She really opened up as it went along and showed all her vulnerabilities to Osborn who was the master interviewer with the Old Hollywood stars who trusted him.

by Anonymousreply 209May 17, 2023 2:45 AM

Novak really didn't need range. She had charisma!

by Anonymousreply 210May 17, 2023 2:46 AM

Ever since someone said she was born a male I can't unsee it.

by Anonymousreply 211May 17, 2023 3:48 AM

I didn't get a pass because of my damn classy good looks.

by Anonymousreply 212May 17, 2023 3:59 AM

Could Marilyn had done any of Novak's best known roles?

Supposedly, Marilyn was first choice of Wilder to star in "kiss me stupid"... by that time she had passed away.Then (allegedly) jayne mansfield was to have done the role but she couldn't because she was pregnant with Mariska Hargitay? (Find it hard to believe that Mansfield was anyone's choice to star in the film since besides her nude film promises promises the year before, she was well into her B and C level has been status in films for a few years), and Novak starred instead..

the film was considered "indecent" and a example of Wilder's decline... It did make a profit though...

by Anonymousreply 213May 17, 2023 8:15 PM

"Could Marilyn had done any of Novak's best known roles?"

Actually, she could have been absolutely stellar in "Vertigo"! She would have knocked the role of the slutty shopgirl who pretends to be an ethereal rich lady out of the park, her vulnerability and beauty would have made the film breathtaking! But, she was a complete pain in the ass to work with by then, and Hitchcock wasn't putting up with that level of unprofessionalism on his set.

So, he cast an actress who nailed the role, AND who showed up on time. Showing up hours late for work has consequences, an actor who does that isn't going to be offered some roles.

by Anonymousreply 214May 17, 2023 8:21 PM

[quote] as little range as an actor can have.

And exactly what do you mean by that ?

by Anonymousreply 215May 17, 2023 8:28 PM

I'm just gonna throw this great quote from one of the Harry-and-Meghan threads in here:

"...A remake of Vertigo, but about an obsessed British Redhead who tries to turn his wife into his tragic mother..."

by Anonymousreply 216May 17, 2023 8:31 PM

She was terrific in Run Lola Run.

by Anonymousreply 217May 17, 2023 8:35 PM

Marilyn would have been ludicrous as Madeline, she was only good at playing dumb blonde whore and slutty schizo saloon whore. Natalie Wood is Simone Signoret compared to Novak. I really can't see Novak coming anywhere near Wood in her great tragic parts. Hitchcok certainly didn't cast Novak in Vertigo because of her professionalism, he didn't cast her at all in fact, he loathed her performance and said that he lost interest in the movie the minute she was cast.

by Anonymousreply 218May 17, 2023 8:36 PM

Marilyn in a Kim role.? I'm not seeing this. Marilyn over sexualized her roles. She delivered her lines with a mouth posed for cock sucking. Kim was subtly steamy.

by Anonymousreply 219May 17, 2023 8:38 PM

If Kim had played Madeline and Marilyn had played Judy, the movie would be better. It would be like the love,child of Bunuel and Lynch

by Anonymousreply 220May 17, 2023 8:45 PM

Poor Marilyn. What a slag. Zero dignity. Jayne Mansfield at least was in on the joke.

by Anonymousreply 221May 17, 2023 8:49 PM

Diana Dors was the real thing. Jayne Mansfield was an undignified harlot compared to Diana

by Anonymousreply 222May 17, 2023 8:52 PM

[quote] Only lezzies like Gardner

It's possible...

by Anonymousreply 223May 17, 2023 8:52 PM

Mamie Van Doren made Diana Dors seem like a fish wife. A FISHWIFE

by Anonymousreply 224May 17, 2023 8:53 PM

Whores. All of them.

by Anonymousreply 225May 17, 2023 8:55 PM

[quote]Stewart was far too old and sexless. He admitted himself when he saw the rushes that he was way past romantic roles like this, and they had to work really hard to make him look young enough to get it up for a highly sensual woman

Jimmy Stewart was usually sexless - young or old. Casting dumpy guys in movies where a beautiful woman is interested in them is for the DUMPY GUYS IN THE AUDIENCE. Average Joe loves to see Jack Lemmon being pursued by Catherine Deneuve (The April Fools) or James Stewart having Grace Kelly wanting him (Rear Window), and so on. It's their fantasy come true.

by Anonymousreply 226May 17, 2023 8:59 PM

"Marilyn would have been ludicrous as Madeline, she was only good at playing dumb blonde whore and slutty schizo saloon whore."

Of course Marilyn would have been fabulous in the "Judy" half of "Vertigo", of course she could be great as the slutty, lonely, low-rent, abandoned shopgirl, who gets involved in an abusive relationship with a crazy man. Nobody could doubt that. But IMHO she also could have been great as the will-o-the-wisp Madeline, IF she'd been willing to stop wiggling for once, and just rely on her beauty and vulnerability. Madeline was meant to be lovely and fragile, Marilyn was lovely and fragile, it could have worked IF Marilyn was willing to buckle down and work like every other actor in Hollywood.

But she wasn't willing, she let her insecurities call the shots till the end, and they told her that it was okay to show up hours late and staggering from champagne and pills. I presume that's why she never made a Hitchcock film, Hitchcock expected everyone on his sets to act like a growup and a professional.

by Anonymousreply 227May 17, 2023 9:00 PM

"Casting dumpy guys in movies where a beautiful woman is interested in them is for the DUMPY GUYS IN THE AUDIENCE."

True 99% of the time, but not in "Vertigo", where he and the much younger woman are drawn together by a toxic web of guilt, deception, and dysfunction. There's never a hint that she's attracted by his looks.

by Anonymousreply 228May 17, 2023 9:02 PM

^ Notice I mention Rear Window, not Vertigo, R228.

by Anonymousreply 229May 17, 2023 9:07 PM

Hollywood had no love for British sex bomb Christine Norden?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230May 17, 2023 9:18 PM

Yes, R229, and notice I didn't defend "Rear Window"'. Or "Bell, Book, and Candle".

Because 99% of movies where an old schlub nails a young hottie are, as I said, bullshit made for the schlubby old guys.

by Anonymousreply 231May 17, 2023 9:23 PM

Christine Norden wasn't a Kim Novak type. She danced and sang and seemed to prefer the stage. She did appear in a few Hollywood films though, one with Joan.

[Quote]After appearing in ten films within five years, Norden left Britain for America in 1952, where she settled in New York and married her third husband, US Air Force sergeant Mitchell Dodge. She went on to become an American citizen in 1960, starring on Broadway in the musical Tenderloin at around the same time. She also caused a sensation in 1967, when she became the first actress to appear topless on Broadway, in the comedy Scuba Duba.

by Anonymousreply 232May 17, 2023 9:30 PM

I wish Hitchcock had used Sabrina.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233May 17, 2023 9:42 PM

Never heard of her. I’m into Vera Louise Gorman-Novak

by Anonymousreply 234May 17, 2023 9:45 PM

[quote]starring on Broadway in the musical Tenderloin

WTF???

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235May 17, 2023 9:48 PM

guest of honor

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236May 17, 2023 9:52 PM

[quote] She could be genuinely terrible, "The Legend of Lylah Clare" is considered a camp classic for a reason!

That's an unfair statement. Everyone and everything in Lylah Clare is completely over the top. I mean, Ernest Borgnine? And don't get me started with the "symbolism" in that movie. I think she actually met the requirements of a campy part in a campy movie for Lylah Clare. Had she played it down she would have looked like a somnanbulist.

by Anonymousreply 237May 17, 2023 10:18 PM

I'M LYLAH!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238May 17, 2023 10:30 PM

She slept with Harvey Weinstein’s great grandfather . Hollywood tradition

by Anonymousreply 239May 17, 2023 10:36 PM

Hitchcock was on Marilyn's list of approved directors on her contract.....I wonder if he had any say so on this matter?

by Anonymousreply 240May 18, 2023 12:36 AM

I thought Kim nailed the cockney waitress perfectly in Of Human Bondage. Outside of that character I don't think she ever played that far out of herself in any other role. I doubt Marilyn could have done as well in that part in a million years.

by Anonymousreply 241May 18, 2023 7:37 AM

Has anyone seen The Man with the Golden Arm (1955) about a drug addict named Frankie Machine played by Sinatra? Novak had a serious role as the "good woman" who saves him. She was in way over her head and it was a thankless role. I much preferred his crazy faking it crimple played by Eleanor Parker.

by Anonymousreply 242May 18, 2023 1:33 PM

^ his crazy faking it crimple WIFE played by Eleanor Parker.

by Anonymousreply 243May 18, 2023 1:34 PM

crimple??

by Anonymousreply 244May 18, 2023 1:35 PM

So all the Kim supporters say that she was acting poorly in every movie on purpose, because the character she was playing was not an actress, and therefore was a superior actress ? No, she was wooden and stiff as a board because she was a poor actress with very minimal talent and no range

by Anonymousreply 245May 18, 2023 1:51 PM

I'm fascinated by the idea of Marilyn in Vertigo. I think she would've been excellent.

by Anonymousreply 246May 18, 2023 3:12 PM

Jimmy Stewart for me, was the weakest link in all of his Hitchcock movies. Too bad that Gregory Peck wasn’t available for any of them.

by Anonymousreply 247May 18, 2023 3:28 PM

I'm glad it wasn't Vera Miles in Vertigo. Even though she was a competent actress, she wasn't ethereal. I think Kim Novak was a perfect choice for the role, or roles.

by Anonymousreply 248May 18, 2023 3:35 PM

Crimple = a medical condition invented by Apple

by Anonymousreply 249May 18, 2023 4:36 PM

Vera Miles lacked charisma.

by Anonymousreply 250May 18, 2023 4:53 PM

"So all the Kim supporters say that she was acting poorly in every movie on purpose, because the character she was playing was not an actress, and therefore was a superior actress ?"

No, just that her extremely limited abilities worked really well in a few movies. She was perfect in "Vertigo", which is like a stopped clock being spot-on twice a day.

by Anonymousreply 251May 18, 2023 5:27 PM

Apparently, after Vera Miles dropped out of Vertigo, Hitch considered Lana Turner, who was close to 40 but still headlining moneymaking films. Turner was well aware of this and demanded $$$. Hitch balked and went with the less expensive Novak. Lana was another beautiful blonde with limited acting skills who made things work to her advantage.

Novak, already a big star, was on loan from Columbia at her usual salary of $1,250 a week. She went on strike and refused to show up for work. Harry Cohn put her on suspension, but Kim hired a team of agents who renegotiated a new contract worthy of a star, at $3,000 a week.

by Anonymousreply 252May 18, 2023 5:34 PM

I'm the one who thinks Marilyn might have been utterly amazing in "Vertigo"... and I'm SO glad that Lana Turner passed! She really was a terrible actress, worse than Novak, who could at least be real on occasion, and who was damn good in this one movie. Turner was utterly artificial, she looked artificial and her acting was pure Studio Coaching for Starlets. She never brought any real feeling to the screen, just a fair amount of glamour and some shallow sensuality.

The female role in "Vertigo" requires vulnerability above all. Novak brought serious vulnerability, Marilyn could have brought even more, and Turner never had a vulnerable moment in her life.

by Anonymousreply 253May 18, 2023 5:57 PM

Who would Kim Novak be today?

by Anonymousreply 254May 18, 2023 6:06 PM

I thought Lana was serviceable In GREEN DOLPHIN STREET, THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL & PEYTON PLACE. She was kind of okay in everything else. Most of her films were drivel. IMITATION OF LIFE is a favorite of mine, but she was not great in it. Her scenes when Annie died were horrible. Sirk didn’t rein her in like he should have.

by Anonymousreply 255May 18, 2023 7:07 PM

Wilder should've stopped while he was ahead, like Tarantino allegedly plans to do.

by Anonymousreply 256May 18, 2023 9:25 PM

Lana Turner was a SUPERSTAR and a very enjoyable performer. No one gives glamour like Lana. You knew exactly who she was and she didn't pretend to be anything else; A doll. A broad. Str8 guys wanted to fuck her, and gay guys wanted to be her. Gotta love Lana

by Anonymousreply 257May 18, 2023 9:41 PM

Marilyn would never have played Madeline. Stop this nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 258May 18, 2023 9:43 PM

The one film in which Marilyn ALMOST plays a character would be BUS STOP. You can ALMOST see the Judy part of VERTIGO Marilyn might have pulled off in her Cherie.

by Anonymousreply 259May 18, 2023 9:50 PM

Maybe Marilyn could have played Midge…

by Anonymousreply 260May 18, 2023 10:37 PM

Marilyn could have played Blanche Dubois (you can see that in don't bother to knock) , Margo Channing (she had the acting chops as per the misfits) , Maggie the cat (watch out for her dixie drawl), and Deanie Loomis ( she was borderline)

by Anonymousreply 261May 18, 2023 11:02 PM

But the "real" Marilyn wasn't the dumb blonde Sugar Cane; the real Marilyn was Roslyn in The Misfits - a somber, though sometimes charming, drifter having a hard time finding meaning in life. So, she was a convincing actress.

by Anonymousreply 262May 18, 2023 11:13 PM

I hated her accent in BUS STOP.

by Anonymousreply 263May 18, 2023 11:13 PM

Marilyn would've hit it out of the ballpark in "The Nun's Story," "The King and I," and "I Want to Live!"

by Anonymousreply 264May 18, 2023 11:16 PM

R254 Margot Robbie. Somehow pretty but hard faced and insecure, pulled out of nowhere, it girl of Hollywood for a hot 5 minutes, gone tomorrow

by Anonymousreply 265May 18, 2023 11:19 PM

I'm off this thread. Too much Marilyn fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 266May 18, 2023 11:20 PM

Marilyn would have knocked the socks off "the night of the iguana", "whatever happened to Baby Jane", " the roman spring of Mrs Stone" and even "Rosemary's baby" as Minnie Castevet

by Anonymousreply 267May 18, 2023 11:23 PM

to R250 -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268May 18, 2023 11:26 PM

Kim and Bridget Bardot. They were very similar. Sexy, pretty girls dolled up like movie stars but incapable of acting except in that one role

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269May 18, 2023 11:39 PM

Now, Bardot is another one who mystifies me. And the more I read about her offscreen personality, I can't with her, I just can't...

by Anonymousreply 270May 19, 2023 12:24 AM

[Quote]But the "real" Marilyn wasn't the dumb blonde

Oh, hun.

by Anonymousreply 271May 19, 2023 12:34 AM

IN 1954 for her second role, Columbia tried Kim out in a dumb blonde MM type character in Phftt which starred Judy Holliday and Jack Lemmon. She's not bad, but glad Columbia didn't make her into an MM clone. Best part of this scene is near end when the Chicago tough girl side of Novak comes out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272May 19, 2023 12:52 AM

Bardot always looked like she put on sexy clothes without bathing.

by Anonymousreply 273May 19, 2023 12:56 AM

This is surprisingly good...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274May 19, 2023 6:15 AM

Bardot is french. She DID put on sexy clothes without bathing. They don't have bathrooms/Shower rooms. There's a shared loo on each floor generally. They use the kitchen sink or a tub as a bathing spot.

by Anonymousreply 275May 19, 2023 12:22 PM

Bardot is seemingly almost forgotten outside of France, where she a polarizing figure based on her politics....

In her heyday in Europe, she was truly the closest rival to Marilyn's worldwide idolatry and fame (forget about novak, mansfield, and whoever else)....

What "hurt" Bardot is she never went hollywood, was content (or lazy) to be a European sex symbol, actress and sensation. She made alot of films, but her career was short on purpose by her because she didn't want the world to see has a 40 year old on screen.

Besides Bardot in europe, Marilyn truly only had one rival in terms of fame and interest throughout the world and that was Elizabeth Taylor...........

by Anonymousreply 276May 19, 2023 12:30 PM

Bardot is a crazy old cat lady. An antisemite and racist. Just like her buddy Alain Delon.

by Anonymousreply 277May 19, 2023 12:37 PM

I'm old enough to have seen that Kim Novak on TV on Hollywood and the Stars when it was first shown. Great mini-documentary that catches her just as she decides she's had enough of Hollywood and transitions to a happier private life in serene Carmel, as well as a lovely retrospective of her beginnings in Chicago and the start of her career. All Kim fans should watch it.

by Anonymousreply 278May 19, 2023 12:42 PM

I can only imagine the pressure that she was under…can’t blame her at all for walking away…too bad Marilyn didn’t have the gumption to do the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 279May 19, 2023 12:54 PM

Bardot has the face that she deserves.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280May 19, 2023 1:04 PM

her snatch was tight

by Anonymousreply 281May 19, 2023 1:06 PM

Bardot looks like she smells like cat piss and French cigarettes.

by Anonymousreply 282May 19, 2023 1:07 PM

Bardot was rumored to have slept with Jimi Hendrix. Then she came out against interracial dating.

What did he do to her?

by Anonymousreply 283May 19, 2023 4:30 PM

R283, did she come out against interracial dating in the 1960s, or as the old crank she became decades later?

Because when an older person suddenly switches from liberal to paranoid conservative, that is IMHO a sign of the early stages of Dementia.

by Anonymousreply 284May 19, 2023 4:43 PM

Bardot is looney but she radiated the kind of charisma in her movies that few came close to. She was also a pretty good actress, more expressive than Kim Novak and many of her French contemporaries. She's spectacular in La Verité.

by Anonymousreply 285May 19, 2023 5:54 PM

Bardot is no Sophia Loren.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286May 19, 2023 5:56 PM

Terpsichorean Bardot

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287May 19, 2023 6:07 PM

Sophia and Brigitte = apples and oranges.

by Anonymousreply 288May 19, 2023 6:08 PM

Sophia is not the insecure narcissist like Bridgette

by Anonymousreply 289May 19, 2023 6:11 PM

Bridgette

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 290May 19, 2023 6:14 PM

Bardot like most European actresses wasn't interested in Hollywood. Most carried out a hit and run for cash. It was not a shortcoming. It was a preference.

by Anonymousreply 291May 19, 2023 7:41 PM

Many big name European stars came out to Hollywood to do pictures only to find themselves bored with the entire process. In Europe, you shoot a scene, then everybody picks up a chair, a prop, a light package, etc., and takes it to the next locale to shoot the next scene. It goes by quick and easy. In the US, you shoot a scene, then you wait for a IATSE stagehand to unplug the lights, another guy to roll up the cables and load them into a case, and yet another guy to push the case. The other guy comes back to unload the case and unroll the cables, then that other stagehand comes back to plug everything back in. This just one small part of a bigger, bureaucratic production machine. Imagine all the divisions of labor involved in a union prodcution. It's an extremely time consuming process and the actor waits and waits and waits.

by Anonymousreply 292May 19, 2023 8:25 PM

Why do so many young people (I assume you're under 100, R292) call movies "pictures," like they were born in 1908?

by Anonymousreply 293May 19, 2023 8:33 PM

R54 Vera Miles, a "pudgy little thing". People here are fucking weird.

I like Kim in Bell, Book and Candle. I must, because I've seen it about 10 times in my life. Jack Lemmon is wasted in a nothing part in it, though.

A good movie she did was Strangers When We Meet, with Kirk Douglas (and Ernie Kovaks, Barbara Rush, Walter Matthau). I liked it also because it was filmed all over LA in 1959 or 60. Not a great film but an enjoyable love story.

by Anonymousreply 294May 19, 2023 8:50 PM

There are announcements from around 1956 that Hitch was in talks with Lana Turner for Vertigo. Lana Turner! No.

by Anonymousreply 295May 19, 2023 8:52 PM

She was named after Kim Kardashian.

by Anonymousreply 296May 19, 2023 9:55 PM

Back to Novak R274's link is really good. Taking aside the sometimes purple prose of the narration (?Joseph Cotten), there's more to her than I expected. her identification with Madge from Picnic, helps explain her her romatic choices and her desire for something different from Hollywood. It's nice that she was still connected to her family in Chicago, despite what had happened n her life otherwise.

by Anonymousreply 297May 19, 2023 11:30 PM

Jimmy Stewart wasn't a sex god but he was very attractive to women, and men identified with him (not because he was not sexy or attractive, because he acted like an everyman). I find him good looking, I guess some of you don't.

by Anonymousreply 298May 19, 2023 11:35 PM

Osborne interview

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299May 19, 2023 11:37 PM

Well, r298, he scored with tons of chicks.

by Anonymousreply 300May 19, 2023 11:38 PM

R300 He actually did, he was known as a ladies' man. Kirk Doouglas wrote in his autobiography about how he was with some woman at a party and Jimmy Stewart came along and she went off with Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 301May 19, 2023 11:40 PM

Norma Shearer, Ginger Rogers, Olivia De Havilland, Marlene Dietrich, Lana Turner, Loretta Young were some of Stewart's girlfriends.

by Anonymousreply 302May 19, 2023 11:43 PM

[quote]He actually did,

Yes, r301, I know.

by Anonymousreply 303May 19, 2023 11:48 PM

R303 I wasn't trying to prove it to you. I was elaborating. Maybe not everyone here knows what you know.

by Anonymousreply 304May 19, 2023 11:51 PM

[quote] Why do so many young people (I assume you're under 100, [R292]) call movies "pictures," like they were born in 1908?

People who work in the movie industry frequently call theatrical movies "pictures" or "shows". Most people outside the industry would never refer to The Godfather or Star Wars as a show.

by Anonymousreply 305May 20, 2023 12:01 AM

My parents (not born in 1908) called movies pictures, or would say, "We're going to a show." Or "the show."

by Anonymousreply 306May 20, 2023 12:03 AM

Best Picture

by Anonymousreply 307May 20, 2023 12:06 AM

I call them...flickers.

by Anonymousreply 308May 20, 2023 12:14 AM

The Last Picture Show

by Anonymousreply 309May 20, 2023 12:21 AM

R279 wrote: I can only imagine the pressure that she was under…can’t blame her at all for walking away…too bad Marilyn didn’t have the gumption to do the same thing.

I don't think MM would have ever walked away from Hollywood. Stardom was what she aspired to. Kim fell into movie acting as a fluke. She aspired to be a painter and Hollywood turned out to be a big detour for her. She happened to become a star and made a lot of money and she eventually was able to afford to walk away and live a life first in Big Sur and later with her Verteranarian husband in Oregon, largely devoted to painting and caring for animals, while occasionally doing an acting job, or from early 90s on doing the occasional interview or public appearance to nurture her growing legend as a film star thanks to Vertigo becoming an iconic film.

by Anonymousreply 310May 20, 2023 1:20 AM

[quote]Jimmy Stewart wasn't a sex god but he was very attractive to women

EVIDENCE? That is besides what gossip columns of yore said. Every man, yes, sexy NOOOOOO.

by Anonymousreply 311May 20, 2023 1:24 AM

No gay man ever looked twice at bumbling Jimmy Stewart.

by Anonymousreply 312May 20, 2023 1:30 AM

DL Goddess Arlene Francis often referred to movies "pictures". And Broadway theatre as "the legitimate stage"

by Anonymousreply 313May 20, 2023 2:09 AM

R313, just shut up and give me my Arpege’…

by Anonymousreply 314May 20, 2023 2:22 AM

I hope you're gay, r93, because if you are straight, you're stupid.

Kim Novak was blonde, bosomy, and beautiful, with a peaches and cream complexion. Plus, she had an air of helplessness, neediness. Ergo, she was appealing.

by Anonymousreply 315May 20, 2023 2:28 AM

She put the voom in va-va-voom.

by Anonymousreply 316May 20, 2023 3:58 AM

Not to William Holden she wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 317May 20, 2023 5:42 AM

Lana Turner would have been as good a choice as Kim for Vertigo. Now, serious question, what is Kim living on ? She hasn't made a picture since 1980.

by Anonymousreply 318May 20, 2023 8:28 PM

Her last film was in 1991 not 1980. From 1976 to 2021 she was married to a very successful large animal veteranarian. They lived well. He made money and she must have invested her Hollywood earnings very well. Though a widow at 90 she's still living on her ranch in Oregon.

by Anonymousreply 319May 20, 2023 8:55 PM

Grace Kelly famously said " I told Kim to take it in the ass only, you have to leave something to be desired, I wasn't cast in "rear window" for nothing. If she hadn't given away her pussy so freely, she would be sitting on my frigging throne right now"

by Anonymousreply 320May 20, 2023 9:21 PM

Kim also raised Arabians and Thoroughbreds. I don't know how much they go for, but I'm sure it's a nice side hustle.

by Anonymousreply 321May 20, 2023 9:27 PM

Horse breeding is not very lucrative. Unless you produce Derby winners the overhead is too great. One raises horses for the love of it.

by Anonymousreply 322May 20, 2023 9:59 PM

[quote]EVIDENCE?

R311 Maybe you should do some reading. Stewart was a staright bachelor until age 41 and he was a popular leading man/star. Women loved his guy-next-door personality and he had many, many Hollywood relationships, some of the women were already named.

by Anonymousreply 323May 20, 2023 10:06 PM

*straight

by Anonymousreply 324May 20, 2023 10:07 PM

Stewart had moments where he could be sexy. He had beautiful lips and he could convey a darkness and desperation when he needed to, which is why Hitchcock used him regularly in the 1950s.

by Anonymousreply 325May 20, 2023 11:05 PM

I thought Stewart's last great performance - and age appropriate role - was as the grizzled pilot in 'The Flight Of The Phoenix'.

by Anonymousreply 326May 20, 2023 11:47 PM

Some of Stewart's fans supposedly complained after he did Anatomy Of A Murder, one of his best films and performances (Oscar nominated). It was too frank and adult for them. So rather than letting that open up a new career for him as the 60s was dawning, he decided to do mostly westerns and family-friendly films from then on. Flight Of The Phoenix was a bit grittier but still not objectionable to anyone. Also - he made only one war film, post WWII, I think - The Mountain Road.

by Anonymousreply 327May 21, 2023 1:36 AM

Apparently Kim was so discouraged working with Mike Figgis and by his behavior towards her (Liebestraum, 1991) she decided at that time nothing was worth that and quit acting.

by Anonymousreply 328May 21, 2023 1:47 AM

Jimmy at @ age 61 at :25

(Without his hairpiece)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329May 21, 2023 2:10 AM

I thought he was great in "Anatomy of a Murder," much better than in "Vertigo."

by Anonymousreply 330May 21, 2023 2:12 AM

Well, his role in ANATOMY was not romantic in any way, shape or form.

by Anonymousreply 331May 21, 2023 2:17 AM

R330 I thought he was great in both.

by Anonymousreply 332May 21, 2023 2:46 AM

R322 = Matthew Broderick

by Anonymousreply 333May 21, 2023 10:13 AM

Little known fact about J.Stewart, He lived with Henry Fonda for many years, in a "bachelor pad" the same way Grant and Scott did. There was a lot of talk at that time, and Orson Welles joked that they were either the gayest couple in Hollywood or the two most normal men on earth

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334May 21, 2023 10:19 AM

Tell me you're an eldergay without telling me you're an eldergay

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335May 21, 2023 10:21 AM

Kim Novak has made it very clear that Jimmy Stewart was her favorite leading man. Once quoted as saying that the person she wants to see after she dies was Jimmy.

by Anonymousreply 336May 21, 2023 10:40 AM

In her long Robert Osborn interview, Kim is very kind and generous about all of her directors and co-stars, even producer Harry Cohn, who she's able to perceive very sympathetically in retrospect. The only person she's hard on is herself. Fascinating and poignant to watch her get more emotional and broken apart as it goes on. With a little extra editing and a few more confessions, a transcript of that interview could have been made into a wonderful autobiography.

by Anonymousreply 337May 21, 2023 12:52 PM

R337 or anyone know if Novak ever commented on Marilyn before or after her passing?....

I know Loren, Bardot and other female stars, including former "IT GIRL" Clara Bow, adored Marilyn. Taylor did not (her only worldwide rival in fame and attention) adore Marilyn and there has been conflicting comments that Taylor made about Marilyn over the decades...

by Anonymousreply 338May 21, 2023 1:01 PM

I never really thought of Marilyn and Kim as rivals as movie stars, any more than I would have compared Audrey Hepburn to Elizabeth Taylor. The really big stars of the 50s like Novak, Taylor, Loren, Hepburn, Grace Kelly and MM, were all very individual and specific women and not terribly exchangeable in the roles they played. Not that there weren't dozens of B list and C list starlets who copied all of them.

Lots of you will probably disagree with me.

by Anonymousreply 339May 21, 2023 1:13 PM

R339.. i would suggest sophia loren was more of a bigger star in the early 60s and throughout the 60's than she was in the 50's? Kelly was only a movie star for a few years before she abdicated.

MM is the only famous movie star of the 50's or 60's for that matter who was universally known by her initials. I don't think any of the other female stars could claim that? Course it might just be because MM it a easy simple moniker...

by Anonymousreply 340May 21, 2023 1:17 PM

Was Maggie McNamara supposed to be another Audrey Hepburn?

by Anonymousreply 341May 21, 2023 1:41 PM

R340, BB (Brigitte Bardot)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342May 21, 2023 1:54 PM

Kim was working on her autobiography in the 90s but a fire occurred at her place and destroyed both hard copy and the computer and she had no back up file. So she decided it wasn't meant to be. Two years ago she did publish through the Butler Museum of American Art a book of her paintings along with some reflections about her life. She said that her autobiography can truly be gleamed by her art. And earlier this year a documentary about Kim appeared on French Television in which she cooperated fully with and did an extensive on camera interview. I believe it's called Hollywood Rebel Kim Novak. I wonder if it will end up on TCM?

by Anonymousreply 343May 21, 2023 1:59 PM

R342... true bardot could be seen and read in media as BB, But I do not think it was as universal worldwide as Marilyn's MM... Bardot was more or less a european superstar, almost a "art house" star in the united states... and media in the u.s. and hollywood in the u.s. is where it was at during that era...

by Anonymousreply 344May 21, 2023 2:27 PM

Didn't Kim agree to change her first name from Marilyn because of possible comparisons to Monroe?

R341 I don't know if she was. She happened to be nominated for Best Actress the same year Audrey won. Even though she reminded me of Audrey (when I was a little kid I used to confuse them), she was so American. They came up around the same time but Maggie's career faded quickly, apparently because she couldn't handle Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 345May 21, 2023 2:53 PM

Maggie McNamara was married to David Swift (from the sausage-making family) who wrote and/or directed Pollyanna, The Parent Trap, and How To Succed In Business Without Really Trying.

by Anonymousreply 346May 21, 2023 2:59 PM

[quote]DL Goddess Arlene Francis often referred to movies "pictures".

Arlene Francis was born in 1907

by Anonymousreply 347May 21, 2023 3:01 PM

R274, That was rather entertaining, but it also comes off as trite. Almost every Hollywood star uses that line about "living by the sea in seclusion" or having a farm somewhere to try and appear humble and down to earth. Also, that BS about her bohemian friends being the only ones who are "authentic" while everyone else is supposedly fake is typical elitist snobbery.

Her busted wig disguise while walking around New York did give me a laugh, though.

by Anonymousreply 348May 21, 2023 3:14 PM

Bardot was universally known as BB. At the peak of her stardom, she was the biggest star in the world, bigger than Monroe and Taylor even. She was a superstar in Latin America, a top ten hitter in the US, THE biggest star in Europe, everywhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349May 21, 2023 3:39 PM

R349.. sorry but in that era HOLLYWOOD and what one did in the states was where it was at....And Bardot was never a top 10 draw in the united states, as most of her films didn't open to wide release... She was the european Marilyn, But Marilyn was the worldwide Bardot...

And of course most people under the age of 50 or who are not film history fans, do not even know who Bardot is now...

by Anonymousreply 350May 21, 2023 4:52 PM

Bardot WAS in the top ten hun

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351May 21, 2023 4:59 PM

Bardot was world-famous. Hollywood even made a movie in the 60s called Dear Brigitte where a young kid (Billy Mumy) whose dad is played by Jimmy Stewart, has a precocious crush on her and wants to meet her.

by Anonymousreply 352May 21, 2023 5:04 PM

yep R352, rub his nose in it !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353May 21, 2023 5:09 PM

Novak was the american Bardot

by Anonymousreply 354May 21, 2023 5:09 PM

Kim Novak was signed to Columbia Pictures to rival 20th Century Fox's Marilyn Monroe in popularity, and there was a brief moment in the 1950s when Novak's box office numbers topped Marilyn's. But Marilyn and Kim's onscreen personas were so different that its hard to believe they were ever rivals. Where the Monroe persona was fun, ditzy, sexy, accessible, and warmhearted, the Novak persona was cool, aloof, mysterious, and maybe a bit dangerous because there seemed to be some inner conflict beneath that exterior.

by Anonymousreply 355May 21, 2023 6:04 PM

I don't see no difference. Big tits and blonde hair

by Anonymousreply 356May 21, 2023 6:06 PM

R351... you're link makes no mention of Bardot being in the top ten box office draws of "and god created woman".. it just says it was a huge hit in europe and for a time the biggest box office foreign film (until la dolce vita)... that's it!.. that's 1 film!...

R352. no one said that bardot at the time wasn't world famous... But her fame and box office was for the most majority part NOT hollywood success, and hollywood especially then was the world film capital...

R355... looking up the top box office draws year by year in the 1950s. novak was never ahead of monroe in terms of a year's box office? She did do good box office in 1958, but marilyn didn't make a single film that year...IF Novak for a time had bigger box office than Monroe, you also have to consider how many films each made in a time period for that to have happened.. for instance from 1957 to 1962, Novak made 9 films. Monroe only made 4, 5 if you include the unfinished "something's got to give"..

by Anonymousreply 357May 21, 2023 7:37 PM

Bridgitte and Jimmy, two reactionaries of the worst kind.

by Anonymousreply 358May 21, 2023 7:46 PM

[quote] Didn't Kim agree to change her first name from Marilyn because of possible comparisons to Monroe?

Yes, she said so herself in a couple of interviews.

by Anonymousreply 359May 21, 2023 7:55 PM

[qUote]Fascinating and poignant to watch her get more emotional and broken apart as it goes on.

She's bipolar. They all do this. Osborne was masterful at handling her gently.

by Anonymousreply 360May 21, 2023 9:06 PM

Novak must have invested her film money VERY well, if she's been able to spend most of her adult life painting and raising horses, instead of acting. Actors in the 1950s weren't paid that much, not enough that they could afford to retire, after a few years at the top.

And that's the real reason most actors of that era didn't leave the silver screen, they couldn't afford to. Bette Davis her later years taking any role that paid because she needed the money (mostly for her ungrateful family), and that was typical. Most actors made some money and managed to lose it through extravagance, divorce, bad investment, or being related to succubi (as was Davis), and they had to keep working even if they'd much rather be raising show horses in Oregon. There were only a few who could afford to retire, but who kept at it because their egos told them to.

by Anonymousreply 361May 21, 2023 9:37 PM

She bought that spectacular cliff house on the 17-mile Drive in Monterey in the 60's, today probably valued at 25M.

by Anonymousreply 362May 21, 2023 9:41 PM

Tuesday also kind of retired early, did she finally inherit some of the WELD $$$ ?

by Anonymousreply 363May 21, 2023 10:51 PM

[quote] Novak must have invested her film money VERY well

I don't see Novak being very bright

by Anonymousreply 364May 21, 2023 10:59 PM

R358 Maybe you should watch the clip at R329 where Jimmy says he believes in strict gun control laws.

by Anonymousreply 365May 21, 2023 11:01 PM

R261 They didn't make residuals, then - and they didn't make the ridiculous money stars make now. If you adjust for inflation they still made way, way below what's made now. (And they were paid salaries or fees, not percentages as they are today.)

by Anonymousreply 366May 21, 2023 11:05 PM

^R361 Just agreeing with what you said.

by Anonymousreply 367May 21, 2023 11:07 PM

r364 Maybe you're right, but maybe her veterinarian husband coached her on investing?

I don't want to hijack a Kim thread, but I found these very interesting outtakes from Something's Got to Give. Laurence Olivier said she had an unconscious resistance to acting. He said she was a "divided person".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368May 21, 2023 11:13 PM

Well, yeah, tbh I think we've had a million threads on Marilyn., we don't need to make this another one .

by Anonymousreply 369May 21, 2023 11:18 PM

R357, I don't know about box office but according to wiki, Kim was the #6 top money making star of 1957. The only woman to crack the top ten. The year prior, she came in at #9, two steps below Marilyn. Stats are missing for '58, the year Kim had "Bell, Book, and Candle" and "Vertigo" (which flopped).

In 1957, Kim had "Pal Joey" and "Jeanne Eagels." Marilyn had "The Prince and the Showgirl."

by Anonymousreply 370May 22, 2023 2:05 AM

"While Vertigo did break even upon its original release, earning $3.2 million in North American distributor rentals against its $2,479,000 cost, it earned significantly less than other Hitchcock productions."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 371May 22, 2023 2:10 AM

R370 here. I fogot to post the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372May 22, 2023 4:33 AM

Marilyn was crazy but she could act a little. Liz taylor could act a little. Natalie Wood could act when well directed. Gene Tierney was a good actress, she could do layers. Vivien Leigh was a genious within a narrow range. Kim Novak couldn't act her way out of a ratpack gangbang

by Anonymousreply 373May 22, 2023 10:25 AM

R370 Vertigo review from 1958 in The Hollywood Reporter - Jack Moffitt:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374May 22, 2023 8:06 PM

That critic was someone who "got" Vertigo at the time of release.

One of the parts of the Kim Novak story that impresses me is on the issue of her screen name. She was born Marilyn Novak and when signed to Columbia in 1953 she was open to changing her first name due to Monroe, but absolutely said no to the name Harry Cohn wanted to give her: Kit Marlowe. She thought it was fake and phony and wanted to hold on to Novak. Cohn replied "who ever heard of a Polack glamour girl". Novak said she's Czech,not Polish and besides what does that have to do with anything. Cohn then offered Kit Novak, but Novak suggested Kim as a compromise and she won. It takes a certain amount of guts to stand up to the likes of Harry Cohn.

Years later when she appeared on Falcon Crest, as an inside joke, she played a character called Kit Marlowe. By then she could have fun with such a name.

by Anonymousreply 375May 22, 2023 11:15 PM

Though Novak is a "Polack" name, there's something very sexy about it.

There were probably millions of American baby girls named Kim in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

by Anonymousreply 376May 22, 2023 11:28 PM

"Miss Novak has become a fine actress, especially in the latter part of the film where she appears as the love-possessed shop girl. Here, without the support of her ethereal beauty, she does a really fine bit of trouping." -- THR

"Mr. Stewart, as usual, manages to act awfully tense in a casual way, and Miss Novak is really quite amazing in -- well, here is a bit of a hint -- dual roles." -- NYT (Bosley Crowther)

Great reviews for Kim.

by Anonymousreply 377May 22, 2023 11:59 PM

[quote] Kim Novak couldn't act her way out of a ratpack gangbang

An insensitive comment since she was actually raped at one such occasion. At any rate, she may not have been a great actress but she was spellbinding to watch.

by Anonymousreply 378May 23, 2023 12:50 AM

the trouble with angels "What's your name? Kim Novak? I like it! Me too, but i'm stuck with Mary Clancy...

by Anonymousreply 379May 23, 2023 2:01 AM

The trouble with angels. What a delightful movie. Love it

by Anonymousreply 380May 23, 2023 9:48 AM

Korda wanted to name Vivien leigh " April Morn" ....

by Anonymousreply 381May 23, 2023 11:08 AM

And Jack Warner wanted to change Bette Davis' name to Bettina Dawes.

by Anonymousreply 382May 23, 2023 1:10 PM

Anne Shirley first had the stage name, Dawn O'Day.

by Anonymousreply 383May 23, 2023 1:15 PM

(Then she took the name of her character in the movie of Anne Of Green Gables)

by Anonymousreply 384May 23, 2023 1:15 PM

Wasn't that true of Jane Powell, too, that her name came from a character she played in her first film?

by Anonymousreply 385May 23, 2023 1:17 PM

R378 raped by whom?

by Anonymousreply 386May 23, 2023 4:35 PM

r374 damn, that review pretty much gives away the entire story except for the last scene!

by Anonymousreply 387May 23, 2023 5:56 PM

was it rape-rape ? there was a saying in Hollywood, " you can never rape an audition, or Kim Novak"

by Anonymousreply 388May 23, 2023 6:08 PM

One of my favorite pieces Ebert ever wrote.

"Then there is another level, beneath all of the others. Alfred Hitchcock was known as the most controlling of directors, particularly when it came to women. The female characters in his films reflected the same qualities over and over again: They were blond. They were icy and remote. They were imprisoned in costumes that subtly combined fashion with fetishism. They mesmerized the men, who often had physical or psychological handicaps. Sooner or later, every Hitchcock woman was humiliated.

“Vertigo” (1958), which is one of the two or three best films Hitchcock ever made, is the most confessional, dealing directly with the themes that controlled his art. It is *about* how Hitchcock used, feared and tried to control women. He is represented by Scottie (James Stewart), a man with physical and mental weaknesses (back problems, fear of heights), who falls obsessively in love with the image of a woman--and not any woman, but the quintessential Hitchcock woman. When he cannot have her, he finds another woman and tries to mold her, dress her, train her, change her makeup and her hair, until she looks like the woman he desires. He cares nothing about the clay he is shaping; he will gladly sacrifice her on the altar of his dreams."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389May 23, 2023 6:52 PM

And introducing April Morn as Scarlett O'Hara. Err, no.

by Anonymousreply 390May 23, 2023 7:03 PM

Korda didn't want Vivien to take the part of Scarlett, " a real life spoilt princess playing a spoilt princess, the public will reject you". Olivier warned her as well " you can't do accents, and you'll just make a fool of yourself".

by Anonymousreply 391May 23, 2023 7:13 PM

R386 She said she was given a rape drug at a Hollywood function and woke up naked suggesting she had been raped, and she attributed the incident to Tony Curtis.

by Anonymousreply 392May 23, 2023 7:19 PM

How horrible.

by Anonymousreply 393May 23, 2023 7:25 PM

Lol. Tony Curtis. With his 2 incher, he could have fucked her right in the middle of the "Hollywood function" without her noticing. More likely Giancana and his henchmen, hence the reels that cut her career short and sent her to Big Sur. Marilyn was not so wise, and threatened them with a press conference

by Anonymousreply 394May 23, 2023 7:26 PM

More likely? OK, hon.

by Anonymousreply 395May 23, 2023 7:57 PM

I'm dubious when Roger Ebert says Hitchcock's female characters reflected the same qualities over and over again. Before Vertigo, what other Hitchcock women were really like the Maleleine character other than their cool blondness? And maybe "cool blondness" is enough similarity right there but I feel like Ebert is stretching a weak thesis.

by Anonymousreply 396May 23, 2023 9:29 PM

R386, Miss Novak claims she was raped while in her teens by a group of boys in the backseat of a car.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397May 23, 2023 10:31 PM

Mentally ill women are always raped. Always. And the vague accused always got away with it. Life is always tragicaly unfair to them. And there is proof. Somewhere. But don't ask them to produce it. Or else you're evil.

by Anonymousreply 398May 24, 2023 10:04 AM

R398: You're like a bad translation of Freud.

by Anonymousreply 399May 24, 2023 12:19 PM

Even though Hitchcock, was on Marilyn's list of approved directors, I don't see how the two would have worked together on any project, whether the material/storyline or their personalities... Otto Preminger and Marilyn had issues, I can't imagine how Hitchcock, whose preminger on steroids, would have treated Marilyn...

by Anonymousreply 400May 24, 2023 1:36 PM

I find it annoying that Kim complains that she was badly treated in Hollywood, that she was not given interesting parts, that she wanted to play a mentally il woman, because, being mentally ill herself, she would have been great, that she was too good for the business. Miss Deepfreeze... you wouldn't pick a bosomy stranger in the streets and put her in an opera for instance. How can she even think that she was qualified to be an actress ? What mentally ill woman did she want to play ? Blanche fucking Dubois ? Is she even aware that they were people around like Vivien Leigh, who were seasoned Shakespearean actors, RADA trained, stage trained ? At least Jane Russell said that her only talent was her chest and she would never have been an actress outside the old studio system, and she was lucky to have been given lots of money to stand pretty in front of a camera

by Anonymousreply 401May 24, 2023 1:59 PM

Marilyn was not that bad in Niagara, but she needed to movie to be about HER. she didn't do supporting parts very well, and I don't see Hitchock making a movie about a voluptuous whore. Novak was already much too heavy for a Hitchcock blonde

by Anonymousreply 402May 24, 2023 2:03 PM

Ingrid Bergman, Madeleine Carroll and Doris Day weren't exactly sylphs, r402.

by Anonymousreply 403May 24, 2023 2:16 PM

[quote] I can't imagine how Hitchcock, whose preminger on steroids, would have treated Marilyn...

Preminger was a bully who abused and terrified everyone on his sets. Actors dreaded him. How was Hitchcock this on steroids?

by Anonymousreply 404May 24, 2023 3:01 PM

[quote]The female characters in his films reflected the same qualities over and over again: They were blond. They were icy and remote.

Has Ebert seen a lot fo Hitchcock films? Other than Tippi Hedren, this really doesn't describe anyone. Ingrid Bergman was never icy or remote. Neither was Doris Day. Joan Fontaine wasn't icy, even Grace Kelly wasn't icy or remote, really. Medeleine Carroll was warm. Anne Baxter was emotional. Eva Marie Saint doesn't fit the description. And of course there were many other "female characters" who weren't cold or aloof, in HItchcock's films.

by Anonymousreply 405May 24, 2023 11:52 PM

I agree with you, r405, and it's what I was trying to say at r396. You said it better.

by Anonymousreply 406May 25, 2023 2:29 AM

R406 Ebert was really off, there. And what about women in HItchcock's films like Theresa Wright in Shadow Of A Doubt? Shirley MacLaine, Jane Wyman, Jessica Tandy, Vera Miles, on and on.

by Anonymousreply 407May 25, 2023 4:04 AM

"Mentally ill women are always raped. Always."

Gee, ya think that being raped might have something to do with developing mental illness later? Think there, you know, might be a correlation?

by Anonymousreply 408May 25, 2023 6:25 AM

You can add Margaret Lockwood, Sylvia Sidney, Ruth Roman, Priscilla Lane, Julie Andrews and Karen Black to the list Hitchcock's non-icy non-blondes.

by Anonymousreply 409May 25, 2023 5:50 PM

R409 And Laraine Day.

by Anonymousreply 410May 25, 2023 10:57 PM

Joan Fontaine?

by Anonymousreply 411May 26, 2023 12:42 AM

Joan was rather blonde and cool if not exactly icy.

by Anonymousreply 412May 26, 2023 1:06 AM

Madeleine Carroll and Priscilla Lane played unavailable blondes which can be misconstrued as icy by horny straight men.

by Anonymousreply 413May 26, 2023 1:41 AM

Ingrid Bergman was the greatest of all the Hitchcock actresses.

by Anonymousreply 414May 27, 2023 2:10 AM

And she has the Oscars to prove it, r414!

by Anonymousreply 415May 27, 2023 2:16 AM

How about "complex" blondes?

by Anonymousreply 416May 27, 2023 2:17 AM

Don't forget Tallulah Bankhead in Lifeboat.

by Anonymousreply 417May 27, 2023 2:29 AM

[quote]The funny part of it is, I'm from the same gutter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418May 27, 2023 2:44 AM

Joan Fontaine is the only actress (or actor) to win an Oscar for a performance an Alfred Hitchcock film.

by Anonymousreply 419May 27, 2023 2:50 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 420May 27, 2023 2:52 AM

[quote]Preminger was a bully who abused and terrified everyone on his sets. Actors dreaded him.

In a 2012 interview Novak said of Preminger: "He was one of my very favorite directors. I loved Otto Preminger." Preminger enjoyed working with her too: "She was a warm girl with a great, great wish to please people and make a success. , She'd been treated like a nincompoop, but she's really quite shrewd. And I knew she was right for the part."

Eleanor Parker, Jane Fonda, Jimmy Stewart and many other actors also had high praise for Preminger. Actors who hated working with him included: : Tom Tryon; Faye Dunaway; Dyan Cannon; Keir Dullea; and Darren McGavin.

There's an excellent biography of Preminger by Foster Hirsch that offers a very balanced picture of his work with actors.

by Anonymousreply 421May 27, 2023 3:32 AM

Henry Fonda, who worked with Preminger several times said you don't question John Ford or Otto Preminger.

by Anonymousreply 422May 27, 2023 10:17 AM

Mia Farrow declined a movie with Peeminger after beinf warned by the girls that he was a bully. was it true grit ?

by Anonymousreply 423June 15, 2023 8:52 PM

R423 Yep, Farrow backed out of a lead role in True Grit and later called it one of the biggest mistakes of her life.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424June 15, 2023 8:57 PM

I wonder what were the other biggest mistakes ...

by Anonymousreply 425June 15, 2023 9:04 PM

R24 True Grit was directed by Henry Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 426June 15, 2023 9:50 PM

I think Farrow turned down the Linley part in BUNNY LAKE IS MISSING

by Anonymousreply 427June 15, 2023 9:59 PM

Actors turn down dozens of roles all the time and then, when a movie they turned down becomes a hit, they're all "it was the greatest mistake of my career." They're never like, turning down Babylon was the greatest mistake of my career.

by Anonymousreply 428June 15, 2023 10:20 PM

[quote]Actors turn down dozens of roles all the time and then, when a movie they turned down becomes a hit, they're all "it was the greatest mistake of my career." They're never like, turning down Babylon was the greatest mistake of my career.

Makes sense to me, r428, why doesn't it to you?

by Anonymousreply 429June 15, 2023 10:21 PM

It does, R429, what seems funny is there's nothing worth mentioning about actors having turned down a role.

by Anonymousreply 430June 15, 2023 10:23 PM

Mia Farrow would have been SO WRONG for "True Grit"!! Farrow has always been delicate and tremulous, and Mattie is a tough, fearless old cunt, in a 14-year-old body.

And the 1969 version was directed by Henry Hathaway, BTW. Not that hack Preminger.

by Anonymousreply 431June 16, 2023 12:20 AM

R431 see R426.

by Anonymousreply 432June 16, 2023 1:38 AM

Hathaway was also a screamer (like Preminger) so maybe that’s why the earlier poster got the story half-right. People might have told her stories about Hathaway.

by Anonymousreply 433June 16, 2023 1:42 AM

R427 She also turned down True Grit.

by Anonymousreply 434June 16, 2023 1:44 AM

R427, Lynley.

by Anonymousreply 435June 16, 2023 5:25 AM

Lynley would have been better than Farrow in True Grit.

by Anonymousreply 436June 16, 2023 11:49 AM

[quote]Kim Novak has made it very clear that Jimmy Stewart was her favorite leading man

That's because he didn't hit on her. Sexless Jimmy was like one of the girls.

by Anonymousreply 437June 16, 2023 12:25 PM

R414, 415, see R419. Also, add Teresa Wright who was nominated twice in one year and won in another for her first three films. She was great in Shadow of a Doubt, Hitchcock's own favorite film.

by Anonymousreply 438June 16, 2023 12:40 PM

[quote] Mattie is a tough, fearless old cunt, in a 14-year-old body.

In other words, Farrow is the perfect Mattie

by Anonymousreply 439June 17, 2023 1:12 AM

Bonjour Tristesse is one of the best films IMO. Stunning

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440June 17, 2023 1:48 AM

Agreed, R440.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441June 17, 2023 2:56 PM

Kim had already been off-screen several years when Novak made her last star vehicle, the camp classic, "The Legend of Lylah Clare." Had a lot fun writing this one!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442June 17, 2023 3:08 PM

Here's another Kim clunker: Billy Wilder's "Kiss Me, Stupid." 1964 also gave us that other masterpiece by a master director on the decline, Hitchcock's "Marnie." What they had in common was that two blonde stereotypes, the dumb blonde & the icy Hitchcock blonde were out of style in mid-60s cinema. Interestingly, Mrs. Jack Lemmon aka Felicia Farr comes off best in "Stupid." My take...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443June 17, 2023 4:07 PM

I don’t think Mattie Ross was supposed to be 14 in the 1969 version of True Grit. Kim Darby didn’t look or act like she was 14. I don’t remember the age being mentioned. It was a good version of the book, even if they filmed it in Colorado (rather than Arkansas).

by Anonymousreply 444June 17, 2023 5:16 PM

[quote]1964 also gave us that other masterpiece by a master director on the decline, Hitchcock's "Marnie."

So true...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 445June 18, 2023 12:52 AM

Seberg would have been a good choice for Marnie.

by Anonymousreply 446June 18, 2023 10:39 AM

Anyone would have been better then Tippi Hedren in Marnie, + the movie SUCKS. Shit acting, Mattes galore , and even cheaper psychology. Even worse than Vertigo. Also, the make up artist who did Sean's eyebrow should have been shot on the spot . Where is Alec Baldwin when you need him ? Hitchcock peaked with REAR WINDOW, and it was downhill from there, and fast

by Anonymousreply 447June 18, 2023 6:49 PM

Novak should have been cast in Blake Edwards's Experiment in Terror instead of Lee Remick, who was miscast. Tippi also would have been better in that movie over Remick.

by Anonymousreply 448June 18, 2023 7:38 PM

Novak should have been cast in NOTHING. At leat Jane Russell had the decency to say that she was only an "actress" by the way of the studio era, because she had big knockers.

by Anonymousreply 449June 18, 2023 7:44 PM

[quote] Hitchcock peaked with REAR WINDOW, and it was downhill from there, and fast

You're an ignorant twit and you have no right speaking.

by Anonymousreply 450June 18, 2023 7:51 PM

R450 even "the lady vanishes " or " the 39 steps " are better than vertigo or marnie, not to mention the trouble with harry and such turds.

by Anonymousreply 451June 18, 2023 7:59 PM

R451 You're a troll. Let's get back to Kim.

by Anonymousreply 452June 18, 2023 8:06 PM

I am NOT a troll. Rear window is perfection. Vertigo has lousy special effects, very poor acting from bovine Novak, unplausible plot. Why were Stewart and Bel geddes students together when they're clearly at least one generation apart ? the movie is gross, apart from the colours, and the animation sequence. Marnie is just plain shit. Psycho is laughable. Needed to be said

by Anonymousreply 453June 18, 2023 8:17 PM

Well then you know nothing about cinema and you're completely incapable of understanding classic Hitchcock films in the context of their time and place in his oeuvre. Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 454June 18, 2023 8:24 PM

Hitchcock’s production Team actually wanted him to cast Eva Marie Saint in Marnie.

by Anonymousreply 455June 18, 2023 8:39 PM

R454 I know so much more than you do about cinema, you, poor, poor peasant. Marie-Saint was too old for Marnie. Hitchcock should have cast Deneuve, and step out to let a director with a still sharp edge direct it. He could have produced it. Barely. William Castle was a better producer than Hitchcock at tthat point, for crissake

by Anonymousreply 456June 18, 2023 8:44 PM

"Psycho" makes me cry not laugh.

by Anonymousreply 457June 18, 2023 8:48 PM

Because it's so OTT and camp , R457 ? because Perkins is ludicrous as "her" ? Because Janet Leigh is so wooden that even a kiss scene with John Gavin can't bring her alive ? Makes me cry too. Two hours of my life lost for ever

by Anonymousreply 458June 18, 2023 8:52 PM

R458/R456/R453 you take your simple minded opinions way too seriously.

by Anonymousreply 459June 18, 2023 10:22 PM

Kim Novak got by as an actress if a director tapped into her insecurity/shyness; Tippi Novak was a model with no acting experience and it showed.

by Anonymousreply 460June 18, 2023 11:19 PM

Incredible that she was a model. That cow. Young Bacall would still dazzle on the catwalk today, young Novak...not so much

by Anonymousreply 461June 18, 2023 11:32 PM

Old Bacall was pretty dazzling too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 462June 18, 2023 11:37 PM

R456 Her name wasn’t Marie-Saint. It was Saint. Eva Marie Saint. Marie was her middle name.

I’m going to assume people already know Marnie was intended for Grace Kelly and she accepted the job, then there was a backlash about it in Monaco and she was forced to withdraw.

Eva was older than Grace but they were often up for the same parts (On the Waterfront, for ex. Grace was offered it and chose to do Rear Window instead). They looked around the same age even though Eva was around five years older.

by Anonymousreply 463June 18, 2023 11:37 PM

5 years older in actual years, or CZJ years ? EMS looks like Grace Kelly's mother in North by northwest

by Anonymousreply 464June 18, 2023 11:42 PM

Only to you.

by Anonymousreply 465June 18, 2023 11:47 PM

I think Eva is a lovely woman. She should have been in more Hitchcock movies…

by Anonymousreply 466June 18, 2023 11:55 PM

If I had the choice, I’d have cast Joanne Woodward as Marnie. She had the talent and the looks for it, and she was even Southern.

by Anonymousreply 467June 19, 2023 12:00 AM

But I don’t care for the film.

by Anonymousreply 468June 19, 2023 12:02 AM

Speaking of Novak and Remick could Kim have carried off Lee's role in Anatomy of a Murder/ Might have been a better fit, I think.

by Anonymousreply 469June 19, 2023 12:02 AM

Kim Novak was never a model. She was in art school and won a Chicago beauty contest called Miss Deep Freeze which was really just a publicity stunt to advertise a new brand of refrigeration. With the title came a tour that brought her to LA where she started auditioning with agents which brought her to Harry Cohn's attention.

Anyway, modeling had nothing to do with it.

by Anonymousreply 470June 19, 2023 12:05 AM

R461, if Bacall were young today she'd be told she was too short and fat to be a model. Only 5'8" and scrawny by the standards of forties and fifties Hollywood, to a modern model means you're short and need to lose 30 pounds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471June 19, 2023 12:06 AM

Remick was cast as Mary Pilant (eventually played by Kathryn Grant) but was moved into the lead when Lana Turner dropped out. I thought she was perfect. can’t really see Novak in it, other than her looks.

by Anonymousreply 472June 19, 2023 12:07 AM

(In Anatomy Of A Murder)

by Anonymousreply 473June 19, 2023 12:09 AM

Kim was actually pretty good in "Strangers When We Meet." Richard Quine nearly married Kim, till she dumped him, and he knew how to play to her strengths. Also, the late '50s makeup of Bell, Book, and Candle was toned down. And it was an intriguing story of that suburban era. My take here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 474June 19, 2023 12:17 AM

Real shy insecure people don't go to Hollywood. Raging narcissist with BPD go to Hollywood to show tits and ass, and when their complete lack of talent is exposed, they cry "I was so shy and insecure, too shy and insecure to take acting lessons even, I just needed to be respected and helped, instead I was bullied and raped, raped, raped !!!". See also Gardner Ava, Monroe Marilyn, Hannah Daryl, McGowen Rose etc etc. Classic.

by Anonymousreply 475June 19, 2023 12:29 AM

And yet Kim mostly walked away from Hollywood to live a quiet life in Oregon, as a painter.

by Anonymousreply 476June 19, 2023 12:38 AM

so that she wasn't offed like her pal Monroe

by Anonymousreply 477June 19, 2023 12:59 AM

R471 your picture clearly contradicts your post. Bacall was drop dead gorgeous then and still would be on a cover of any Vogue/bazaar/Elle now. Kate moss was 5"8 but she had so much charisma that they put her on the runway. Bacall would be right there wiping the floor with Moss

by Anonymousreply 478June 19, 2023 1:02 AM

Kim should have been cast in Lana Turner's role in Peyton Place. Lana just wasn't likable in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 479June 19, 2023 1:26 AM

Kim would never have played the mother of a teenager in 1958, r479.

by Anonymousreply 480June 19, 2023 2:57 AM

[quote] I’m going to assume people already know Marnie was intended for Grace Kelly and she accepted the job, then there was a backlash about it in Monaco and she was forced to withdraw.

Don't assume anything, this thread is full of uneducated simpletons who know nothing about cinema like the guy who claims Vertigo is bad because of the special effects.

by Anonymousreply 481June 19, 2023 7:25 AM

OP is F'ed. She was what the roles called for. She was hot in both movies.

by Anonymousreply 482June 19, 2023 8:03 AM

Vertigo is bad because of many other things, like, the plot, the casting, the acting. It was seen as it was back in the day. A failure. But because some french twat gave it 5 stars and declared it the artsy fartsy , the pretentious qweens here would rather see the emperor's clothes. Citizen Kane is a fucking bore. Vertigo is lame and half baked. Nobody cares for Rashomon. A bout de souffle is shit and Belmondo can't act. Sorry to burst your bubble

by Anonymousreply 483June 19, 2023 8:05 AM

The only reason A bout de souffle was made is : Godard had the hots for Seberg in Bonjour tristess and wanted to make a sequel for her character. Preminger made a stunning movie. Godard, not so much

by Anonymousreply 484June 19, 2023 8:15 AM

R467 = Joanne Woodward

by Anonymousreply 485June 19, 2023 8:18 AM

[quote] I’d have cast Joanne Woodward as Marnie. She had the talent and the looks for it,

Some of you are really crazy. or blind. Joanne Wodward was the ugliest actress ever to come out of the studio system. If Newman wasn't in such desperate need of a beard, she would never have been a star, or cast in leading parts. Bitch was FUG

by Anonymousreply 486June 19, 2023 8:21 AM

Someone shot a video comparing 'Then and Now' filming locations. The Vertigo one is pretty good...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 487June 19, 2023 8:57 AM

Kim was very hot in BBAC and Vertigo. She was not funny, not bewitching, not mysterious, not dual, not impossibly elegant or pathetically vulgar. She seemed sedated , and acted as if she was reading her line from flashcards held by an assistant behing the camera (which she probably was), but she was very hot.

by Anonymousreply 488June 19, 2023 9:00 AM

Why didn’t Hitch go after Grace or Kim the same way he did with Tippi?

by Anonymousreply 489June 20, 2023 6:08 PM

Presumably, R489, he didn't have enough power over them.

Tippi was nothing without him, while without him, Grace and Kim were rich and famous movie stars.

by Anonymousreply 490June 20, 2023 6:22 PM

Ebert gets salty about Picnic:

"It's hard to believe that “Picnic” was considered hot stuff in 1955. Clunky and awkward, with inane dialogue, it's a movie to show how attitudes have changed. It's easy to see why '50s audiences responded--William Holden and Kim Novak look great and generate a certain dutiful chemistry--but hard to see how, in a time when the sexual boldness of movies like “A Streetcar Named Desire” was well-known, people could sit through this with a straight face."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491June 20, 2023 7:01 PM

Anyone else but Holden in the lead…way too old. I would have used Brando. Although he would have driven Joshua Logan insane.

by Anonymousreply 492June 20, 2023 7:04 PM

Brando wouldn't have been credible as Cliff Robertson's college pal.

by Anonymousreply 493June 20, 2023 7:10 PM

Trashing Kim Novak is DL at its worst.

Flippant jerkoffs: have at it.

by Anonymousreply 494June 20, 2023 7:12 PM

Roger Ebert was highly overrated as a critic. Maybe because he was on the teevee.

by Anonymousreply 495June 20, 2023 7:12 PM

In MARNIE had Tippi and Diane Baker swapped roles it would have made for a much better picture. Diane actually a natural beauty without even trying and Tippi the jealous, manipulative sister with incestuous designs for Sean.

by Anonymousreply 496June 20, 2023 8:13 PM

R496, Diane Baker played the sister of Sean Connery's late wife, no incestuous feelings to a brother-in-law.

by Anonymousreply 497June 20, 2023 8:42 PM

Diane Baker played the sister in the criminally forgotten STOLEN HOURS, and she was in THE GROUP IIRC. Why did her career go straight down the shitter ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498June 20, 2023 8:55 PM

I wouldn't be surprised at all if we learn one day that Grace was fucking Hitch on the sly. She would get a huge kick out of degradind herself with that disgusting pig. She's the type. "Belle de jour"

by Anonymousreply 499June 20, 2023 8:59 PM

That kind

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500June 20, 2023 9:33 PM

In "Picnic," Kim is well-cast as the insecure beauty queen, not a stretch... Holden's acting is good, but his beauty had already taken a beating from too much booze and smoky treats. The rest of the cast is quite good. My look at Picnic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 501June 20, 2023 9:48 PM

I MARRIED A WITCH is much funnier than Bell book and Candle and Veronica Lake is a charming quirky witch, even though she adopts the strangest delivery I've ever heard. Was she always like that or is it a character thing ?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502June 20, 2023 9:50 PM

William Holden was very sexy, but not much of an actor was he ? He always plays/looks drunk.

by Anonymousreply 503June 20, 2023 9:51 PM

Rick [R501]. I'm surprised you didn't like the score--it's one time where i found a 1950s Coplandesque score really fit a film. On of the best things about the film is how it was opened up by the cinema verite views of a real Labor Day community picnic. Touches like that help compensate for the sometimes stagey dialogue. Holden works in the part in part because Cliff Robertson (another Columbia contract player) was a little old for his part. Novak's weaknesses work for her---she knew what it was like to be not considered much beyond being pretty. Russell is the weak note here--a little to hammy and too obviously desperate. They didn't need a star in that role and any number of good character actresses could have played the part better.

by Anonymousreply 504June 20, 2023 10:55 PM

[quote] He always plays/looks drunk.

He WAS drunk.

by Anonymousreply 505June 20, 2023 11:09 PM

Most classic era actors were drunk... Bill Holden did some good work once he got some clout...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506June 20, 2023 11:32 PM

504- I'll have to give another watch again on Labor Day weekend regarding the Picnic score. Kim was basically thrown into stardom without much training. But her insecurity helped her performance as Madge. Cliff was 5 years younger than Bill, but Holden looked hella older because of his habits. Hal's supposed to be in his late 20s, I think. Bill was a decade older... and looked a decade older than that. Roz does swing wide, but she has some smaller moments that were great. But yeah, it's not a star role, but a great one for a character actress like Agnes Moorehead, maybe?

by Anonymousreply 507June 20, 2023 11:39 PM

R506 I read in an interview with Stephanie Powers once that he suffered from severe anxiety and could not shoot a scene without taking a drink before. I don't think that was the case for everybody though, although of course people in general drank more then.

by Anonymousreply 508June 20, 2023 11:47 PM

R492 Joshua Logan directed Brando in Sayonara (1957) and loved working with him,

by Anonymousreply 509June 21, 2023 12:58 AM

It’s 2023 and a Kim Novak thread has a near-record number of posts. If that doesn’t say something about the median age of a Datalounger, I don’t know what does.

by Anonymousreply 510June 21, 2023 1:06 AM

"William Holden was very sexy, but not much of an actor was he ? He always plays/looks drunk."

He probably WAS drunk! Quite the alcoholic.

Which probably explains why he always looked about 15 years older than his official age. I've never much liked him, he wasn't a great actor, and I've never found him attractive or likable. During his heyday he looked like an aging football player turned salesman, and a worried and insecure salesman at that.

by Anonymousreply 511June 21, 2023 2:44 AM

[quote]It’s 2023 and a Kim Novak thread has a near-record number of posts. If that doesn’t say something about the median age of a Datalounger, I don’t know what does.

And your point is what, exactly?

by Anonymousreply 512June 21, 2023 2:46 AM

Too bad because Bill Holden was so fetching in his younger days…the smoking and drinking did not help him.

by Anonymousreply 513June 21, 2023 10:45 AM

This aging football player turned salesman can peddle his wares by my pool anytime!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 514June 21, 2023 11:57 AM

Holden was great. I have to say that because these threads are always taken over by a few people who hate everybody. I don’t really care that he drank, I didn’t know him. It didn’t show in his acting. Obviously he didn’t let it interfere professionally or he wouldn’t have been in such high demand. Once he hit his stride in the 50s, he was in some of the best films of the time.

Gloria Swanson said her mother thought Bill Holden was the best looking guy she’d ever seen, and I assume Swanson’s mom met a lot of her costars and boyfriends.

His popularity and his awards were well deserved, and he was super attractive. Never thought he looked like an “aging football player” - he was of average height and weight (5 foot ten or eleven, about 180).

by Anonymousreply 515June 21, 2023 12:53 PM

Gloria Swanson had a mother who was alive in the 50's ? I thought it was a miracle of nature that Gloria was alive in the 50s. Wasn't she a vaudeville child star during the civil war ?

by Anonymousreply 516June 21, 2023 1:01 PM

#515, Bingo! He was a total charmer in Born Yesterday and Sabrina as well.

by Anonymousreply 517June 21, 2023 1:59 PM

He was in Born Yesterday ? don't remember him in that. He was not good in Sabrina, but the movie was a dreck. He looked terrific in Sunset Boulevard. He sure was a looker, but not much of a thespian

by Anonymousreply 518June 21, 2023 2:05 PM

I’m really amazed people don’t think Holden was a good actor. He still was getting good roles after his looks faded. The Blue Knight (Emmy), Network (Oscar nomination), Breezy (good movie). Good in so many things, from Executive Suite to Stalag 17, Bridge On The River Kwai, The Key, Bridges At Toko Ri, Love Is A Many-Splendored Thing, The World Of Suzie Wong, etc.

by Anonymousreply 519June 21, 2023 2:43 PM

He was no John Garfield for sure. I would say he was as good as Mitchum. Good enough for the 50s

by Anonymousreply 520June 21, 2023 3:01 PM

Mitchum was a great actor.

by Anonymousreply 521June 21, 2023 3:04 PM

Was he R521? I missed his King Lear at Stratford

[quote] " Mitchum barely opens hie eyes thoughout the whole film"...

[quote] "Robert Mitchum barely can contain his boredom, his famous rumpled eyes barely register a movement."

by Anonymousreply 522June 21, 2023 3:14 PM

I must have missed John Garfield’s King Lear.

by Anonymousreply 523June 21, 2023 3:30 PM

[quote]and she was in THE GROUP IIRC

You do not.

[quote] it's not a star role, but a great one for a character actress like Agnes Moorehead, maybe?

Meh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524June 21, 2023 3:58 PM

[quote] It’s 2023 and a Kim Novak thread has a near-record number of posts. If that doesn’t say something about the median age of a Datalounger, I don’t know what does.

Yeah, no one is very interested in Froy Gutierrez and Zane Phillips here.

by Anonymousreply 525June 21, 2023 4:05 PM

My two cents from "William Holden's Golden Year": Most aptly, Bill’s acting idols were Frederic March and Spencer Tracy, for their command of the craft and their natural style. How ironic that Bill idolized Tracy, who also went through bouts of depression and drinking, and a troubled marriage, too. And like Tracy, Holden didn’t live a long life, either. Holden’s style recalls a more animated Henry Fonda. William Holden wasn’t the standard stoic like Gary Cooper and Gregory Peck, but he had their same strength. Holden was handsome and knew it, but was not a showboat; Bill was restrained, but not wooden. Bill Holden was empathetic and real; there was no macho posturing or jaw-jutting over-emoting like Burt, Kirk, and Charlton.

by Anonymousreply 526June 21, 2023 5:22 PM

Agree with R515 and R519. The self-loathing drinkers on this thread need to give it a rest. Holden was a fine actor who elevated those unforgettable classics like Sunset Boulevard, Stalag 17 and Bridge On The River Kwai. Yeah, he was miscast in Picnic, but he manages to make his character sympathetic and all but steals the film.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527June 21, 2023 8:13 PM

Never said that Garfield was a "great" actor. Said he was a better film actor than Holden. Chill

by Anonymousreply 528June 21, 2023 8:17 PM

I never thought he was miscast in Picnic (my parents' favorite film), and I don't think anyone really did, until about 10-15 years ago. Then all of a sudden I started to hear all these rumblings. I think it was the first movie I ever saw him in and without any context of whatever else he played, I accepted him completely in the part.

I did feel he was miscast in Golden Boy.

by Anonymousreply 529June 21, 2023 9:32 PM

I never felt he was wrong for the part of Hal in Picnic, per se. Bill at 37 looked 47, not 27 like the character was...

by Anonymousreply 530June 21, 2023 9:37 PM

Oh, hey, ya... Kim Novak! Here's a movie Kim was intentionally funny in, "The Mirror Crack'd." Who knew Kim had it in her, but she stole the show, though Elizabeth had some great moments, too. Not the best Christie by a long shot, but still great for star-watchers, with these stars at crossroads in their lives and/or careers. A fun piece...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531June 21, 2023 9:42 PM

Virginia Madsen talks about emulating Novak's look in Heart of Dixie:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532June 21, 2023 9:45 PM

Sorry, I don't agree Holden looked 47 in Picnic. Rosalind Russell and Arthur O'Connell were both around 47 and looked it, Holden definitely looked much younger than them.

by Anonymousreply 533June 21, 2023 9:47 PM

R75, that is the funniest thing I have seen all day. That is one fat ass!

by Anonymousreply 534June 21, 2023 9:50 PM

It wasn't like 42 year old Matt Damon playing Liberace's teenage boy toy Scott Thorsen in Behind The Candelabra.

by Anonymousreply 535June 21, 2023 9:51 PM

Did Novak and Taylor get along in their movie? Anyone?.... I wonder if either was jealous of the other in their heyday which coincided with the other's heyday...

by Anonymousreply 536June 21, 2023 9:53 PM

Elizabeth Taylor looked so bad in that movie.

by Anonymousreply 537June 21, 2023 9:56 PM

I think Kim and Taylor got along fine. Neither were ones to feud with other actresses. And Kim's heyday was pretty short. Her stardom was confirmed with Picnic and pretty much ended shortly after studio head Harry Cohn died. By the early '60s, Kim as a top leading lady was done.

by Anonymousreply 538June 21, 2023 10:03 PM

R535 = Jennifer Lopez(-Affleck)

by Anonymousreply 539June 21, 2023 10:05 PM

R538 It was more by the mid-60s than the early 60s.

by Anonymousreply 540June 21, 2023 10:07 PM

I see no reason why Taylor would be jealous of Novak by 1981, or even during the few months Novak was a top star. Taylor had been a mojor star and a legendary beauty for almost 15 years by then, and it would have been particularly stupid for Novak to be jealous of Taylor. It would be like Lizabeth Scott being jealous of Garbo. Wasn't the movie intended for Natalie Wood originally ? Was it Natalie and Kim ? or Natalie and Elizabeth ?

by Anonymousreply 541June 21, 2023 10:10 PM

Well, let's put it this way, Kim's last hit was Strangers When We Meet. After that it was stuff like Boys Night Out, a problematic remake Of Human Bondage, and the horrid Kiss Me, Stupid! The Amorous Adventures of Moll Flanders should have been the final star turn. But three later came Lylah Clare!

by Anonymousreply 542June 21, 2023 10:18 PM

I don't think Kim should have gone blond. She looked her best in Picnic. She could have been the missing link between Monroe and Taylor

by Anonymousreply 543June 21, 2023 10:21 PM

I think it's only in recent years that most of this fuss about Holden looking too old in PICNIC has come about. Everyone looked much older in the 1950s than they do now. You all know this! Just have a look at any high school year book from 1956 for proof of this.

Hal has to look desperate and at the end of his rope. Sexy as hell, yes, but If he looks like he really can conquer the world, there's no tension in the play.

by Anonymousreply 544June 21, 2023 10:23 PM

All I know is, after Madge takes 3 years of beatings and pregnancies from still-unemployed drunken, cheating Hal, she goes home pregnant, again, 25 lbs heavier than when she left, with a toddler tugging at her skirts, already looking hard and bedraggled.

Alan catches a glimpse of her on their small-town street and thinks.....

well, you can fill in the rest....

by Anonymousreply 545June 21, 2023 10:32 PM

R544, I’m not so sure about that. Having read many movie magazines from that time period, there were always complaints to be found by young female fans about the lead being too old.

by Anonymousreply 546June 21, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote] All I know is, after Madge takes 3 years of beatings and pregnancies from still-unemployed drunken, cheating Hal,

She leaves him and goes to SF, where she finds a job in a flower shop. one day, a strange man comes up with a strange proposal and some cash. Could she dye her hair , change her make-up and impersonate his wife ?

by Anonymousreply 547June 21, 2023 11:31 PM

I wonder in 1962 who bobby kennedy was more attracted at that famous, infamous dinner party where he was sat between novak and monroe... And no, I don't believe the whole they had a affair either, at best MAYBE a one night stand.... Seems kennedy was much more interested in monroe as she peppered him with civil rights and other questions as they talked and talked, and allegedly taught him how to do the twist at that dinner party as well. form eyewitnesses....

by Anonymousreply 548June 22, 2023 2:28 AM

taylor and natalie wood were friends in real life, would have been interesting if they played bitches to each other in "the mirror cracked"...

by Anonymousreply 549June 22, 2023 2:36 AM

Well I figure my folks were 26 and 28 when they saw Picnic (which as I said was their favorite) and apparently they bought Holden in the role. The fact is audiences today are often more age-conscious because they can simply look up the ages of the cast (and do) while back then there was no easy way to know the ages of actors. If you wanted to go to the trouble of looking in an almanac or encyclopedia, maybe. But fan magazines never printed actors' ages and there was no internet, of course. I think audiences weren't as hyper-critical then either.

by Anonymousreply 550June 22, 2023 5:36 AM

R529: I agree. John Garfield would have been better and that was evident in Humoresque. Holden's casting is one reason whay the film seems a bit false and its corniness is so obvious. I saw a revival on Broadway about 10 years ago and the it worked better--both because corny plots often are better on stage but also because the casting was more appropriate.

R533: O'Connell and Russell both look way older than Holden. As was the case in the 50s, the transition to frumpy came pretty fast for middle aged women.

by Anonymousreply 551June 22, 2023 11:49 AM

Dream dream dream on, R486.

by Anonymousreply 552June 22, 2023 12:16 PM

Woodward was not a Godess like Novak. She was always more" interesting" than truly pretty.

by Anonymousreply 553June 22, 2023 1:41 PM

Woodward is a “heavy” actress. She lacks a lightness a Hitchcock heroine needs. Kitchen sink dramas are her thing. Although I did love her in FROM THE TERRACE as the nympho socialite wife of Paul Newman.

by Anonymousreply 554June 22, 2023 3:51 PM

The production of Picnic I ever saw was in Miami in the 1980s it was at a community theater with a mix of professional and amateur players. TV legend Patrick Vaughn was the male lead and local Miami community theater legend Phyliss Hammerow (frequently referred to as the 'Meryl Streep' of Dade County) was in the Novak role. Interestingly enough they cast a trans woman in the role of the sheriff, really woke and ahead of its time.

by Anonymousreply 555June 22, 2023 4:06 PM

R555, here, that should be the BEST production of Picnic I ever saw was...

by Anonymousreply 556June 22, 2023 4:06 PM

You mean that even a dinner theater queen from the depths of whatever shithole it is that you come from was better than Kim in Picninc ? wow, that's a SHADE

by Anonymousreply 557June 22, 2023 4:40 PM

Debbie Reynolds and Howard Keel once did a musical version of "Picnic" in the '80s at Burt Reynolds Dinner Theater. Those who attended said it was a life-changing experience. Or was that a Depends-changing experience?

by Anonymousreply 558June 22, 2023 5:41 PM

What was Burt thinking when he opened up his dinner theater?

by Anonymousreply 559June 22, 2023 6:16 PM

There was a Broadway musical version of PICNIC called HOT SEPTEMBER in the mid-70s that starred Alexis Smith in the Roz Russell role, though I'm not sure it didn't die in out of town tryouts.

by Anonymousreply 560June 22, 2023 6:21 PM

That rewriting of Picnic didn't happen. Both the musical and the new version were DOA

by Anonymousreply 561June 23, 2023 11:48 AM

I keep waiting for the musical version of "The Legend of Lylah Clare!"

by Anonymousreply 562June 23, 2023 3:24 PM

R560 I did die in out of town tryouts, but it didn’t star Alexis Smith. Alexis Smith was in a rewrite of Picnic by Inge called Summer Brave.

by Anonymousreply 563June 23, 2023 6:40 PM

[quote]I did die in out of town tryouts

Are you Holly Golightly?

by Anonymousreply 564June 23, 2023 7:07 PM

Lovelady Powell played Rosemary in "Hot September." An audio demo was recorded, and Frank Sinatra covered "Golden Moment."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565June 23, 2023 7:43 PM

Alexis must have fancied herself as the new incarnation of Roz Russell, starring in her roles in THE WOMEN revival and that PICNIC rehash.

by Anonymousreply 566June 23, 2023 9:37 PM

Good ol' Lovelady Powell...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567June 23, 2023 9:47 PM

Both wore clothes exceptionally well, r566, and both had *great* gams.

by Anonymousreply 568June 23, 2023 9:50 PM

Ernest Thompson who later wrote On Golden Pond played Hal in Summer Brave.

by Anonymousreply 569June 23, 2023 10:49 PM

Was Ernest as good of an actor as he was a writer?

by Anonymousreply 570June 24, 2023 3:22 PM

I remember After Dark being all over Ernest Thompson. WHET? Does he still write or act?

by Anonymousreply 571June 24, 2023 4:37 PM

I love Picnic, it's such a great relic of 1950's "small town" movies where everyone knows each other, the entire town ALL hangs out on some big party/picnic and various scandals take place. They haven't made those again in decades. I did find the main pairing boring, though I found it refreshing that they basically implied they were attracted to each other because they were both attractive but somewhat dull and understood each other because of it. I also have somewhat of a girl crush on Susan Strasberg. I didn't want to be Madge, I wanted to be her, mousy but pretty, and smart.

by Anonymousreply 572June 26, 2023 11:43 PM

"Same old Hal" is what Alan, the rich, right-side of the tracks guy, Madge's ostensible boyfriend, says a couple of times in "Picnic".

First, in amused admiration. Then, in anger, once he learns Hal has stolen Madge.

Those 3 words clue you in that Hal will never change, and will probably get worse, once she runs off to meet join him after he's kicked out of town and Madge is his.

Hal is the worst thing to happen to Madge and Mom is right - "Don't do it, Madge!"

Still, I gotta hand it to Joshua Logan on the end scene of "Picnic".

It's thrilling when, with music swelling, the camera pans up, up, up, to look down, capturing both the moving train carrying Hal and the bus carrying Madge, to converge down the road.

by Anonymousreply 573June 27, 2023 12:36 AM

William Inge, the guy who wrote "Picnic" was a homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 574June 27, 2023 12:41 AM

The attraction between Madge and Hal was basically that of a mediocre small town homecoming queen and the mediocre football star, who finally found each other to have a dull mediocre life and dull mediocre babies. I don't see a good future for them together, but Mom was a repressed bitch and wasn't coming from the right place either. Millie was the only one with a bright future.

by Anonymousreply 575June 27, 2023 1:02 AM

Inge wrote some good plays about everyday people in mid-century America...

by Anonymousreply 576June 27, 2023 1:12 AM

"Millie was the only one with a bright future."

If she didn't get pregnant on prom night, like half her classmates would have.

by Anonymousreply 577June 27, 2023 8:35 AM

Millie was a nerd, today she’d probably be a Goth.

Obviously Alan was going to have a “bright future”.

by Anonymousreply 578June 27, 2023 12:59 PM

Inge was a terrific playwright, wrote wonderful, relatable situations and characters - he just didn’t write tragedies with political overtones, like Arthur Miller, or deep dramas like Williams (his friend). Robert Brustein wrote a scathing critical piece on Inge and it was taken very seriously. Inge himself was apparently crushed by it.

There are some scenes from Bus Stop on Youtube with Kim Stanley - with an audience - they give you an idea of how much people enjoyed his work.

by Anonymousreply 579June 27, 2023 1:05 PM

"Madge is the pretty one!" Funny, since I thought Susan Strasberg was pretty, too...

by Anonymousreply 580June 27, 2023 4:05 PM

Agreed R580. And she actually emoted. Strasberg was very pretty, which was a feat considering her father. Also liked her picnic dress more than Madge's, reminded me of Scarlett's 12 Oaks bbq dressin GWTW.

Also does anyone remember an early 2000s tv movie adaption with Josh Brolin as Hal? I remember watching it but now I see no trace of it other than a short trailer on yt.

by Anonymousreply 581June 27, 2023 4:24 PM

[quote]Funny, since I thought Susan Strasberg was pretty, too...

She was no Kim Stanley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 582June 27, 2023 4:30 PM

R511, British, right?

by Anonymousreply 583June 27, 2023 7:27 PM

Rachel and the Stranger was on last night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 584June 27, 2023 7:39 PM

This thread made me want to watch the movie again and just now it dawned on me Hal and Madge are supposed to have sex at some point, after their big embrace and before Madge ran into the house later that night. That little slut! The prom queen fron Kansas giving it up for a man she hadnt even met before in the 1950's!! The mom was right to be scared.

by Anonymousreply 585June 29, 2023 3:44 AM

*even met 24 hours prior I meant to say

by Anonymousreply 586June 29, 2023 3:51 AM

And there's no way those two used birth control, R585. Made wouldn't have a clue or any time to see her doctor, and Hal is far too irresponsible to use condoms.

The mother should worry about pregnancy AND STDs.

by Anonymousreply 587June 29, 2023 1:24 PM

Pretty sure Hal had a couple condoms in his wallet. He wasn’t stupid, why would he want to get a girl pregnant?

Has anyone mentioned The Eddie Duchin Story? She had a good part in that.

(Society beauty Marjorie Oelrichs, Duchin’s wife.)

by Anonymousreply 588June 29, 2023 3:07 PM

One Christmas, she made fudge for Harry Cohn.

by Anonymousreply 589July 3, 2023 9:20 PM

Vertigo is, retrospectively, considered Hitchcocks best and most interesting movie, and that's not down to James Stewart but Kim Novak. You just can't take your eyes off her; she had 'it'...There's plenty of actors but not plenty of STARS.

by Anonymousreply 590July 3, 2023 9:54 PM

I disagree, R590, and dang we're already up to 590 replies!

Jimmy Stewart carried "Vertigo". He was the protagonist, he's in almost every frame of the film, and while Novak was indeed stellar, it was Stewart who carried the audience and the story into his descent into madness. It's his film.

by Anonymousreply 591July 4, 2023 10:42 PM

Stewart seemed to be a one note actor…

by Anonymousreply 592July 4, 2023 11:04 PM

People make some of the stupid comments about acting I’ve ever read in my life, in threads like these.

by Anonymousreply 593July 4, 2023 11:40 PM

*stupidest

by Anonymousreply 594July 4, 2023 11:49 PM

And some people can’t spell…

by Anonymousreply 595July 4, 2023 11:50 PM

"Stewart seemed to be a one note actor…"

He wasn't a chameleon, he always looked and sounded like the same guy, but he had tremendous range anyway.

He could be the arrogant professor in one movie, and the vulnerable man who descends into madness in another. He could be the hilarious dufus in one movie, and an amiable comitragic alcoholic in another. He could be romantic in one movie, and painfully awkward with women in another, etc. He really was a very good actor, and "Vertigo" had got to be his best dramatic performance.

by Anonymousreply 596July 4, 2023 11:55 PM

R553 Eva Marie Saint was in kitchen sink dramas - On The Waterfront, A Hatful Of Rain. Tallulah Bankhead was not a light actress, neither was Ingrid Bergman. Or Anne Baxter, or Vera Miles, for that matter. You’re only thinking of one kind of Hitchcock film. Grace Kelly movies. Woodward had a lot of range, anyway I can only think of one or two movies she was in like you’re describing.

by Anonymousreply 597July 5, 2023 12:00 AM

I like Kim Novak in some things, but frankly, if "Vertigo" hadn't been rediscovered, restored, and later hailed as a revisionist masterpiece, nobody would be talking about Novak today...

by Anonymousreply 598July 5, 2023 12:12 AM

R598 And if Hattie McDaniel hadn’t been in Gone With The Wind nobody would be talking about her today, either. Not sure I see your point.

by Anonymousreply 599July 5, 2023 5:38 AM

[quote]nobody would be talking about Novak today...

It's not like all that many people are, Rick.

by Anonymousreply 600July 5, 2023 5:45 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!