Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is Melbourne like?

The city is repeatedly voted one of the best places to live in the world.

I guess they don't shoot each other to death in the streets and have something to live for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 31, 2023 2:26 PM

Nothing

by Anonymousreply 1May 10, 2023 12:35 AM

[quote] I guess they don't shoot each other to death in the streets

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2May 10, 2023 12:48 AM

Go to a gay bar and watch drag like every fucking gay bar on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 3May 10, 2023 12:49 AM

I am curious too. Would love to go someday.

by Anonymousreply 4May 10, 2023 12:55 AM

They got rid of guns and don't do that anymore r2

by Anonymousreply 5May 10, 2023 12:59 AM

Now they use other weapons, R5.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6May 10, 2023 1:06 AM

[quote]The city is repeatedly voted one of the best places to live in the world.

Not if you asked this slave, it isn't!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 25, 2023 12:04 PM

"I guess they don't shoot each other to death in the streets"

I'm 68, born and raised in Chicago and no one has shot me yet 😏

by Anonymousreply 8May 25, 2023 12:09 PM

People like to shit on it, but I liked it when I visited. Sydney was flashier, but Melbourne seemed more livable to me and had more of a real city vibe and better arts scene.

by Anonymousreply 9May 25, 2023 12:10 PM

In Melbourne, all seems to breathe freedom and peace and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 10May 25, 2023 12:21 PM

Visit during the running of the Australian Open. It's a beautifully run tournament, and you'll have a great time. Afterwards head off to vineyards and old gold mining towns. I just love it all.

by Anonymousreply 11May 25, 2023 12:50 PM

Great bars, food and shopping but EXPENSIVE AF.

by Anonymousreply 12May 25, 2023 2:31 PM

The number one thing to see is the Royal Exhibition Building. It’s stepping back in time to the turn of the century period of world fairs.

by Anonymousreply 13May 25, 2023 2:59 PM

Melbourne is the Syndney what Philadelphia or Boston are to NYC.

Oh, and racism, especially against Asians, is so bad as to make Texas look like a wellspring of acceptance.

by Anonymousreply 14May 25, 2023 3:22 PM

It's no more expensive than any other Australian city, and the $AUD is only 65 cents in the $US at the moment.

If you're American and you want to know why Australians are always going on about coffee, Melbourne is the place to visit. In a recent sitcom, a food outlet said they didn't sell barista coffee and the main character replied, "This is Melbourne. Is that even legal?" And yes, a ton of good food, both in the CBD and in the immediate surrounds. (Bowery to Williamsburg cafe and Betty's Burgers sell American-style food in the middle of the city if you want a step up from McDonalds.)

There has been real planning in Melbourne's development as a city, whereas in Sydney the authorities have been largely lazy, allowing the Opera House and the spectacular scenery to do all the work for them and seriously neglecting the public transport system. As R11 said, Melbourne does events extremely well, and it always has some going on. In addition to sport, which it does very well (the whole city lives for AFL football in the winter), there are, among other things, Food and Wine Week, Fashion Week, Open House architecture week, the annual winter blockbuster international exhibition at the Gallery, a great winter light show in the Botanic Gardens, a spring Garden Show, and a big community Carols by Candlelight on Christmas Eve. These things occur every year at the same time, so the city always has something major going on. Unless you live a long way out of the city, the public transport is terrific (trains, trams and buses). There is even a very efficient express coach service between the airport and the city.

The CBD has a lot of street art, including some (intentionally) very amusing sculptures, and designated streets which are constantly being redecorated with new street art. Additionally, they have created mini-villages within the suburbs out to about 10km from the city, each of which has a defined character. Some are funky and full of street art and hidden-door wine bars, some are all light-filled cafes and crafty boutiques, some are for upmarket fashion and fine dining, some revolve round a farmer's market, etc.

I don't live there, but I've been there dozens of times over the years and it's getting better all the time.

by Anonymousreply 15May 25, 2023 3:30 PM

Actually....Melbourne and Sydney are now the same size - roughly 5 million each.

I liked Melbourne very much. Extremely strong Asian influence as you can imagine (sushi and ramen shops on every block). Very much a beach town vibe. The people are lovely and very chill. Not pricey at all. Had some great food.

by Anonymousreply 16May 25, 2023 3:34 PM

What's so great about Melbourne's food? Do you have good bakery's?

Is it better than a Michelin star Parisian restaurant.

by Anonymousreply 17May 25, 2023 11:27 PM

It's no Alice Springs.

by Anonymousreply 18May 26, 2023 12:03 AM

Watched the Real Housewives of Melbourne. City looks liveable and beautiful. The accents can peel paint off the walls.

by Anonymousreply 19May 26, 2023 12:07 AM

[quote]What's so great about Melbourne's food? Do you have good bakery's?

Didn't really get to experience fine dining for the day I was there. Lots of good cheap eats on the street.

by Anonymousreply 20May 26, 2023 1:19 AM

I can't stand the accent. Imagine that during sex.

by Anonymousreply 21May 26, 2023 1:22 AM

Best dick in all of Australia. Big, thick and uncut.

by Anonymousreply 22May 26, 2023 1:59 AM

R17, it has several fine dining restaurants, including the one repeatedy voted Australia's best (Attica), which has made the top 20 of the World's 50 Best a few times. But also heaps of cafes with inexpensive but interesting food: far more variety and quality in the CBD than Sydney has at this level.

Australia doesn't do bakeries in the way France does, but Lune Croissanterie in Melbourne is supposed to be amazing -- I wouldn't know because every time I've been there the queue outside has been more than a block long, which is more than a croissant is worth to me. NYT said they were perhaps the world's best. As you can see from their blurb, they certainly carry on about it like French people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 26, 2023 2:37 AM

Quite impressed with itself, with very cliquey, provincial gays. At least they smile occasionally in Sydney.

by Anonymousreply 24May 26, 2023 8:53 PM

Provincial? Provincial? It's not filled with bogans, mate.

by Anonymousreply 25May 26, 2023 9:03 PM

Check out Brunswick Street, Fitzroy for food, fashion and just a great atmosphere. The nearby area named Brunswick is great, too.

A friend's son lives in Melbourne. He's in his early 30s and doesn't even know how to drive a car, just uses public transport and Ubers to get around.

by Anonymousreply 26May 26, 2023 10:12 PM

The transit system is...odd. Trams are free in the center part of the city, and you have to have a ticket if you travel out of the center or you can get fined. And I couldn't find a damn ticket vendor anywhere. Fortunately pretty walkable.

by Anonymousreply 27May 26, 2023 10:16 PM

R27, they are moving towards allowing you to use your credit card/phone to pay for trips, but at the moment they have a similar system to Sydney: you can't buy a single ticket. You have to buy a MyKi card and load some money on it, then that works for all public transport. Vending machines for cards and top-ups are at most major city stops, and they are available from numerous store chains. Any hotel, no matter how ratty, would be able to direct you to the nearest one, or sell you a card themselves.

It wasn't intentional to have trams free in one zone and not others. There is a free City Circle tram for tourists which tells them where to get off to see the key sites. Ordinary Melburnians were crowding into it to get round the CBD, so they ended up making all city trams free.

by Anonymousreply 28May 27, 2023 4:21 AM

What is quintessential Australian food? What is considered an Australian dìsh? Also have I have zero interest in ever visiting any city in that racist country

by Anonymousreply 29May 27, 2023 4:33 AM

Then no Australian food for you!

by Anonymousreply 30May 27, 2023 4:36 AM

R17, what does the bakery possess?

by Anonymousreply 31May 27, 2023 4:59 AM

[quote] Visit during the running of the Australian Open. It's a beautifully run tournament, and you'll have a great time

It’s the happy slam!

by Anonymousreply 32May 27, 2023 5:00 AM

[quote]What is quintessential Australian food? What is considered an Australian dìsh?

Shrimp on the barbie?

by Anonymousreply 33May 27, 2023 3:18 PM

Keeping him out was a great start.

by Anonymousreply 34May 27, 2023 3:18 PM

You sound very sophisticated and well-informed, R29.

by Anonymousreply 35May 27, 2023 3:21 PM

[quote] What is quintessential Australian food? What is considered an Australian dìsh?

Kangaroo fondue

by Anonymousreply 36May 28, 2023 11:58 AM

Vegemite sandwich

by Anonymousreply 37May 28, 2023 12:19 PM

Hilarious!

by Anonymousreply 38May 29, 2023 1:17 AM

Is Rebel Wilson the biggest Australian star?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 29, 2023 2:50 AM

Melbourne these days is like Little Beijing.

by Anonymousreply 40May 29, 2023 2:52 AM

Yes, R39, much more famous than Cate Blanchett, Hugh Jackman, Nicole Kidman, Margot Robbie, Chris Hemsworth, Liam Hemsworth etc etc…

by Anonymousreply 41May 29, 2023 2:57 AM

Like Vancouver? Are the home prices soaring because of rich foreign buyers buying up property they don't live in?

by Anonymousreply 42May 29, 2023 2:58 AM

Very much so R42

by Anonymousreply 43May 29, 2023 3:06 AM

R40 is a lunatic.

by Anonymousreply 44May 29, 2023 3:29 PM

Ask the fucking queen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 29, 2023 3:35 PM

Like London but with less people and not as dynamic. Cold, wet winters like London, but summers are dry and hot with winds blowing in from the desert.

by Anonymousreply 46May 29, 2023 3:52 PM

Fewer!

by Anonymousreply 47May 29, 2023 3:57 PM

Hi, Nancy at R47. I think we have the same trigger!

by Anonymousreply 48May 29, 2023 9:36 PM

R45 I am asking out of genuine ignorance. Is this the real trans housewives of Melbourne? "The testosterone levels need to come down?" Very convincing women if they are. Either way had me wondering. No offense intended.

by Anonymousreply 49May 30, 2023 12:42 AM

Not R45, R49 but I am pretty sure that they are vaginaed women, or whatever the correct term is. Gina Liano is as close as you can get to being trans or drag but that’s part of her schtick- she’s a barrister and doesn’t tone anything down in court, either verbally or hair- and makeup-wise.

by Anonymousreply 50May 30, 2023 12:50 AM

[quote]The City of Melbourne has severed ties with its sister city St Petersburg in protest against Russia’s invasion of Ukraine.

[quote]The council unanimously moved to terminate the 34-year relationship on Tuesday night following calls from the Ukrainian community.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51May 31, 2023 2:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!