Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone watching the Bridgerton Queen Charlotte series?

I enjoyed it for what it was - a light frothy rom com.

I was interesting that they had Mrs. Whistledown (Julie Andrews) read a statement at the beginning which said this was fictional and was not intended to be historically accurate.

It's like needing to note that Hamilton is a fictionalized account. Then again, I once heard someone say that racism couldn't have been all that bad when the US was founded since so many of the Founding Fathers were minorities. Her source: she saw Hamilton.

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2023 1:33 AM

The disclaimer at the beginning was for the idiots who have been losing their minds over a fictionalized period piece set during the Regency that includes black people.

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2023 1:50 AM

Is it worth watching for the gay romance that apparently happens in this? I'm not really into the main plot from what I've heard. But regency lord ploughing his footman does have me interested.

by Anonymousreply 2May 6, 2023 2:55 AM

I've only watched two episodes so far. The gay romance is nice. It's different. It's unusual. It's nice.

The main plot is actually quite good. Both India Amarteifio and Golda Rosheuvel are giving very sensitive performances. I like Golda in this story much, much more than in Bridgerton. The scenes that juxtapose the frustrations of the young Charlotte's life and those of her older self, still suffering the same frustrations are kind of wonderful. I will certainly finish.

by Anonymousreply 3May 6, 2023 6:52 PM

Th guy playing young George is handsome and very engaging.

I like him. Good casting choice

You have to give it to the Bridgerton folks for their solid casting.

As for the gay romance, the final episode is memorable.

by Anonymousreply 4May 6, 2023 8:39 PM

r3 here. Just finished this and like it so much more than the second season of Bridgerton. The three older ladies Charlotte, Lady Danbury and Violet were truly given an opportunity to shine, and shine they did. I can only hope that Bridgerton season three will follow up on this deeper understanding of their characters.

[quote]As for the gay romance, the final episode is memorable.

Truly. I lost the love of my life a couple of years ago, and that scene brought tears to my eyes.

I know this was planned as a one-off limited series, but Shondaland has indicated that they are open to continuing the story. I truly hope they do so.

by Anonymousreply 5May 7, 2023 9:34 PM

Oh, and George has hot armpits, great eyebrows and a fine ass that is featured in virtually every episode. Decent nippleage as well.

by Anonymousreply 6May 7, 2023 9:35 PM

[quote]I know this was planned as a one-off limited series, but Shondaland has indicated that they are open to continuing the story. I truly hope they do so.

I can't see them continuing George and Charlotte's story, but I can imagine another season of "Bridgerton Stories" which features another time skipping season where they cover Violet's romance which is held up as an example of true love.

If they do it as a time skip, they can continue to the "garden blooming" in present day with Lady Danbury and Violet with some participation from matchmaking Charlotte. In the past, they can include Lady Mary Sharma's story of marrying for love and being disowned since Violet and Mary would have come out about the same year. This could show why Charlotte is so pissy when Lady Mary comes back after Charlotte chose her as the "Diamond" for that season.

It would allow us to have a lot more India Ria Amarteifio and Arsema Thomas in the past, as well.

by Anonymousreply 7May 7, 2023 10:44 PM

^^^side note: Violet tells Anthony in S1 that she believes that reformed rakes make excellent husbands when he tell her that Simon isn't the marrying type.

With this setup, we could get a very hot guy playing Edmund Bridgerton.

by Anonymousreply 8May 7, 2023 10:46 PM

The ever-blooming wisteria seems to have spread throughout London like an alien invasion.

by Anonymousreply 9May 8, 2023 4:30 PM

Just starting the latest season (episode two). The big mystery about George is ... he's a giant nerd, obsessed with astronomy? He can't have Asperger's or something like that, because he managed to be utterly charming during his first encounter with Charlotte. Of course, on Bridgerton, George has advanced dementia, but that hasn't kicked in yet on this show.

by Anonymousreply 10May 9, 2023 10:05 AM

[quote]The big mystery about George is ... he's a giant nerd, obsessed with astronomy?

No, and the real King George is believed to have had something else as well. He suffered bouts of mental illness multiple times before he finally became too incapacitated to rule upon the death of the Princess Amelia in 1810, thus commencing the Regency era when George IV acted as regent.

by Anonymousreply 11May 9, 2023 6:20 PM

r11, episode four tells the story so far from King George's perspective and reveals the actual mental problems he has at that age.

by Anonymousreply 12May 10, 2023 7:04 AM

From Popbitch newsletter:

[quote] Nepo Baby Latest: The actor who plays Reynolds in the new Queen Charlotte Bridgerton prequel is Freddie Dennis, son of Hugh Dennis.

I thought he did a pretty decent job.

by Anonymousreply 13May 12, 2023 8:39 PM

Freddie Dennis is briefly naked in the third episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 12, 2023 8:41 PM

Corey Mylchreest, who plays young King George, rear nudity in the show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15May 12, 2023 8:44 PM

No thanks.

I hate WOKE shows.

I like real life.

by Anonymousreply 16May 12, 2023 8:45 PM

Which you seem to be sleeping through r16.

by Anonymousreply 17May 12, 2023 8:46 PM

I only watched the first episode. I just cannot get past the fact that the old queen Charlotte is a monumental cunt. And not in a fun, DL sort of way either, she's just a thoroughly miserable human being. And I hate that she scored someone as hot as George.

I might return to it after reading these comments about the gay storyline, but will probably just skip anything not related to it. I admit I did enjoy the cinematography much more than with Bridgerton.

by Anonymousreply 18May 12, 2023 8:50 PM

The In the final scene between young Queen Charlotte and young Lady Danbury, India Amarteifio emulates Golda Rosheuvel's performance as Queen Charlotte. That was a nice touch.

by Anonymousreply 19May 12, 2023 8:54 PM

ah my lord! i am only eight and ten years old, i have never seen a member so… tumescent

by Anonymousreply 20May 12, 2023 9:03 PM

The final scene under the bed was utter frau-bait, and it still made me smile.

by Anonymousreply 21May 12, 2023 9:08 PM

^^^ also, you have to admit that the guy playing King George III is adorable.

Too bad none of the actors seem to be converting into more mainstream success, including Rege Jean Page who had limited screen time in D&D and nothing is listed for the future - I think the David Caruso Award goes to him.

I have to say I like the actress playing young Charlotte. Both she and George were well cast.

by Anonymousreply 22May 12, 2023 9:10 PM

R13/R14 he really does look like his Da. probably not as fun and quick as him though

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23May 12, 2023 9:13 PM

I like how Charlotte and Agatha have complicated relationships with their husbands in terms of wishing they were dead and yet having moments of sincere compassion for them. Like old Charlotte expecting the physician to tell her that her husband finally passed away (when it was her daughter-in-law and the future king who died). Same with Agatha, who loathed having sex with her old cretin of a husband (played by Cyril Nri from Russel T. Davis' Cucumber & Banana) but still helped him to raise his social status he so greatly desired.

I was surprised how hot "daddy" Keir Charles (Lord Ledger, father of Violet, who we know later as the matriarch of the Bridgerton family) is under all the period clothing when he made out with Arsema Thomas (young Lady Danbury).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24May 12, 2023 9:23 PM

[quote]Rege Jean Page

He was so awful in The Grey Man, it seems to have stunted his career.

by Anonymousreply 25May 12, 2023 9:27 PM

R24 if I were living pre-21st C. and/or had an arranged marriage, I would simply have to kill my husband and go on the lam to eke out a new subsistence life in the woods as a witch. These bitches aren't about to sacrifice me.

by Anonymousreply 26May 12, 2023 9:30 PM

[quote]I like how Charlotte and Agatha have complicated relationships with their husbands in terms of wishing they were dead and yet having moments of sincere compassion for them. Like old Charlotte expecting the physician to tell her that her husband finally passed away (when it was her daughter-in-law and the future king who died). Same with Agatha, who loathed having sex with her old cretin of a husband (played by Cyril Nri from Russel T. Davis' Cucumber & Banana) but still helped him to raise his social status he so greatly desired.

It was her granddaughter who died, not DiL, in the first episode. The guy crying over the coffin is George IV who was Prince Regent at the time.

Also, Charlotte asking if he's dead is not her gleefully waiting for it to happen, but her dreading to finally get the news that the great love of her life has died, mixed with the relief that what she's been expecting for years finally happened. She's not wishing he's dead although she's been bracing for it. There's another scene where she wakes in the middle of the night and asks Brimsley to check to make sure he's still alive because she's afraid he's died.

What the show and the final scene demonstrate is that she continues to love George and is fiercely protective of him and his reputation.

by Anonymousreply 27May 12, 2023 9:31 PM

[quote] What the show and the final scene demonstrate is that she continues to love George and is fiercely protective of him and his reputation.

Yes, but there are moments where she wants the suffering to end. At least that's how I saw it.

by Anonymousreply 28May 12, 2023 9:38 PM

Love Queen Charlotte's cold and distant "Sorrows. Prayers." when trying to comfort her grieving son.

by Anonymousreply 29May 12, 2023 9:49 PM

[quote]Love Queen Charlotte's cold and distant "Sorrows. Prayers." when trying to comfort her grieving son.

I kept thinking that that's going to be my new DL "thoughts and prayers" when next appopriate.

by Anonymousreply 30May 12, 2023 11:23 PM

I think the dialogue on this show is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 31May 12, 2023 11:27 PM

That Corey Mytzylplk guy is definitely hot!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32May 12, 2023 11:49 PM

Nice pics from Corey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33May 12, 2023 11:54 PM

R1 No. The disclaimer is for history wonks such as myself who would otherwise go crazy pointing out the historical inaccuracies. I LOVED this series as a piece of fiction, but a piece of fiction it is.

by Anonymousreply 34May 13, 2023 12:04 AM

I still chuckle that some people expect accuracy from THE Shonda Rhimes who created Grey's Anatomy, you know, a show about the real and authentic struggles of doctors.

by Anonymousreply 35May 18, 2023 8:29 AM

[quote] Charlotte asking if he's dead is not her gleefully waiting for it to happen, but her dreading to finally get the news that the great love of her life has died

In real life she actually died before him. But at that point he was no longer able to understand.

by Anonymousreply 36May 30, 2023 4:05 AM

I think at some point Shonda's hammering of 'women can run the world without men' will get tired. But I gotta admit, she knows how to write engaging drama, plots, characters and dialogs. She's really a master in all of that.

by Anonymousreply 37May 30, 2023 2:24 PM

She is also a master of including round, protruding male buttocks.

by Anonymousreply 38May 30, 2023 3:27 PM

Who knew George III had such a hot ass that he showed off frequently? I love history. It’s really sad how much he suffered from his mental illness.

The short and tall lovers (Ernie and Bert) were adorable. I have no doubt that there was much buttfucking going on during that time but the idea that gay lovers shared romantic baths together felt like a stretch.

by Anonymousreply 39June 25, 2023 4:12 AM

I tried watching Bridgerton and was bored and gave up midway through season one.

For some reason, I started this last weekend and it hooked me. It wasn't just a derivative "get her married to the king" plot. The gay subplot was also unique and unexpected. And how they handled mental illness was shockingly unwoke.

Maybe I'll finish up Bridgerton after all. '

by Anonymousreply 40June 25, 2023 6:14 AM

I've seen it, OP is right to describe it as light and frothy, its light entertainment with the emphasis on "light", but its quite enjoyable if you can suspend belief and not treat it as historical drama which it aint.

R4 what did happen to the romance between Brimsley and Reynolds? I recall the older Brimsley dancing alone in the last episode. Young Reynolds was hot!

[quote]I was surprised how hot "daddy" Keir Charles (Lord Ledger, father of Violet, who we know later as the matriarch of the Bridgerton family) is under all the period clothing when he made out with Arsema Thomas (young Lady Danbury).

Yeah I noticed that too, he's quite something, I had to go look the actor up afterwards see what else he's been in, he's not super well known

by Anonymousreply 41June 25, 2023 6:24 AM

It made me cry, R4.😭

I have yet to see Bridgerton and decided to watch this first.

I loved it! It was magical and fabulous. The set design and locations and fashions were amazing!

I did cry at the end. Charlotte really did love the king. I’m glad he recognized her at the end as well.

I loved that speech she gave to one of her sons when he was about to marry. To find the love and hold tight to it.

I also have to admit that I was unaware that this George was THE George. The one who lost the colonies. 🫣

I loved it all.

by Anonymousreply 42October 11, 2023 1:47 AM

R42 yeah I have to admit I teared up some watching that

by Anonymousreply 43October 11, 2023 2:23 AM

I was squarely smacked in the face for recommending a rom-com here just last month.

by Anonymousreply 44October 11, 2023 2:50 AM

Which one, R44?

This show was beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 45October 11, 2023 3:02 AM

I forget R45. I may watch the new Bridgerton at some point but I'll be sad to not have Rege to drool over. Damn that man is so fuckably gorgeous. I want to do things to him.

by Anonymousreply 46October 11, 2023 8:16 AM

The king George actor is absolutely gorgeous, seriously, where the eff had he been??

by Anonymousreply 47October 11, 2023 4:35 PM

I’M not watching.

by Anonymousreply 48October 12, 2023 1:33 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!