Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

“Places, Please” to star Jessica Lange and Kathy Bates?

“Places, Please” is centered on “Lillian Hall, an actress who is synonymous with Broadway. Throughout her long, illustrious career, she has never missed a performance—not for her daughter, not for illness, not for any reason. Yet in the rehearsals leading to her next Broadway production, her confidence is challenged. People and events conspire to take away her ability to do what she loves most. Suddenly, Hall is forced to reckon with the past and the price she has paid for the choices she made in her life and her art. Can she repair a lifetime of parental neglect? Can she reconcile herself to the demands of aging, its real and perceptual debilities? Can she navigate the shoals of self-doubt and loss, the betrayals of others and of her own body? Will she go down in the record books in a blaze of glory? Not without a fight.”

It seems Lange and Bates are attached to this. Although they aren’t yet listed on the film’s official IMDb Pro page, Robin Beauchesne and Chris Clark (XIII) have been credited as “Make-Up Artist to Jessica Lange” and “Hair Stylist to Jessica Lange and Kathy Bates,” respectively.

In 2021, Meryl Streep was set to star in this film, which is being directed by Michael Cristofer and was supposed to begin filming in New York during the summer of 2021. In 2022, Glenn Close replaced Streep, and Kathy Bates joined the cast, with filming set for January of this year.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167June 30, 2023 1:49 PM

Was excited to see Streep in this role, but am more excited to see Lange in a starring vehicle that hopefully gets some traction with "mainstream" audiences.

by Anonymousreply 1May 4, 2023 5:51 PM

This is exciting news. I'm assuming Lange will play Lillian Hall, and Bates will play a friend or rival.

Incidentally, the script status for Gia Coppola's adaptation of 'The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll,' which was set to star Lange and Naomi Watts, who are still attached, was updated on 4/20/23, so this film seems to still be a go.

Lastly, according to Anthony Uzarowski's upcoming biography on Lange, 'Jessica Lange: An Adventurer's Heart'-it's quite wonderful-"There's also another collaboration with Michael Sucsy in the pipeline." Could Suscy be taking over helming duties for ‘…..The Lonely Doll'-he'd be a perfect fit-or is Lange involved in his upcoming adaptation of 'Playing to the Gods,' a novel centered on the near-mythic rivalry between theater legends Sarah Bernhardt and Eleonora Duse?

Nonetheless, between this news and Lange's work in Jonathan Kent's upcoming adaptation of 'Long Day's Journey into Night,' which is scheduled to premiere at TIFF in September, we may be witnessing a late-career film comeback for Lange. We'll see!

by Anonymousreply 2May 4, 2023 6:04 PM

[quote]the near-mythic rivalry between theater legends Sarah Bernhardt and Eleonora Duse

A reguluh Chanel vs Schiaparelli!

by Anonymousreply 3May 4, 2023 6:11 PM

Film & Television Industry Alliance (FTIA) has this film’s shooting dates and location listed as May 22, 2023 to June 30, 2023 in Atlanta, GA. The film’s profile was updated on May 1, 2023, so I’m sure an official announcement is forthcoming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4May 4, 2023 8:38 PM

Interesting tidbit: Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winner for ‘The Shadow Box,’ Michael Cristofer, who is set to direct this, played the corporate overlord and covert witch hunter Lange axes to death in American Horror Story: Coven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5May 4, 2023 8:46 PM

Robin Wright is circling this project to play Lange’s daughter.

by Anonymousreply 6May 5, 2023 2:33 AM

Everything but the dogs hoping at her rear end.

by Anonymousreply 7May 5, 2023 2:35 AM

Nipping, dammit. Goddammit autocorrect.

by Anonymousreply 8May 5, 2023 2:35 AM

Sounds boring as fuck. I'm sure Jessie will give her usual drawling performance twisting her mouth and casting her eyes downward.

Haven't her last few films grossed less than the cost of a Domino's pizza? Who's putting up the money for these flops?

zzzzzzzzzzz

by Anonymousreply 9May 5, 2023 2:41 AM

Looking forward to this

by Anonymousreply 10May 5, 2023 2:45 AM

R10 As am I. Between this, the upcoming Long Day’s Journey into Night adaptation, and her project with Sucsy, it seems Lange is in the mood to play lead again. She hasn’t been the lead in a project in seven years.

by Anonymousreply 11May 5, 2023 2:51 AM

Lange Troll you are repeating your posts in multiple threads.

by Anonymousreply 12May 5, 2023 2:54 AM

That poor creature at R12 (and R9?). It must shout “Lange Troll” at every passing cloud.

by Anonymousreply 13May 5, 2023 3:08 AM

R9 and R12 are two different posters. Easy to figure out if you aren't fat and lazy, like Lange's performances.

by Anonymousreply 14May 5, 2023 3:12 AM

This sounds good.

by Anonymousreply 15May 5, 2023 4:06 AM

Sounds very mid-1970s PBS.

by Anonymousreply 16May 5, 2023 4:17 AM

R16 It does have a mid-1970s vibe, though I wouldn’t categorize it as PBS material. We’ll see.

by Anonymousreply 17May 5, 2023 4:21 AM

Love Kathy Bates! Great news about the role.

by Anonymousreply 18May 5, 2023 4:55 AM

Hmm, that synopsis sounds vaguely familiar, doesn't it Meryl?

by Anonymousreply 19May 5, 2023 9:06 AM

Hmm, that synopsis sounds vaguely familiar, doesn't it Meryl?

by Anonymousreply 20May 5, 2023 9:09 AM

I thought the same thing, R19 - R20.

by Anonymousreply 21May 5, 2023 10:01 AM

How wonderful. Where is the press release?

by Anonymousreply 22May 6, 2023 5:18 AM

R22 Filming is supposed to start May 22nd, so I’m assuming we’ll hear something shortly before or after then. I’m tracking this film’s IMDb Pro page, which was just updated yesterday; an editor was added.

by Anonymousreply 23May 6, 2023 6:33 PM

R5, Michael Cristofer also wrote the script to the Untitled Marlene Dietrich Netflix Project that Lange and Ryan Murphy have been planning for the past four or five years.

by Anonymousreply 24May 8, 2023 6:33 AM

If Jessica and Kathy were attached, they’d be saying that.

by Anonymousreply 25May 8, 2023 9:13 AM

Sounds very Hallmark Hall of Fame!

by Anonymousreply 26May 8, 2023 11:25 AM

Yawn.

by Anonymousreply 27May 8, 2023 1:44 PM

Press release?

by Anonymousreply 28May 8, 2023 2:41 PM

R25 I think the powers that be want to make sure they have all of their ducks in order before they make an official announcement. Back when Close and Bates became attached, there was no announcement.

Also, while IMDb isn't always reliable, if the personal makeup/hair artist adds themselves with a specific attribution to the crew of a film, it's basically always correct. These are credits from the “Places, Please” profile on IMDb Pro.

Lastly, it’s too much of a coincidence that Bates revealed she and Lange are preparing to do a film together and then suddenly they’re listed here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29May 8, 2023 2:47 PM

The above credits are also listed on the artists’ regular IMDb pages.

Robin Beauchesne (she previously worked with Lange on The Gambler and Feud):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30May 8, 2023 2:52 PM

Chris Clark (worked with Lange on Feud and The Politician and also worked on The Prom; his credit for this pic is listed under “upcoming”):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31May 8, 2023 2:56 PM

So, you’re guessing and hoping.

by Anonymousreply 32May 8, 2023 2:57 PM

R32 No, I’m inferring that Lange and Bates are attached to this film based on the credits listed for this film, which include their names, and an interview with Bates.

by Anonymousreply 33May 8, 2023 2:59 PM

Jacques La Fiction has been signed to do Miss Lange’s wigs.

by Anonymousreply 34May 8, 2023 4:22 PM

New announcements from IMDB Pro:

Kathy Bates gowns will be designed by legendary costumer, Helen Fibber.

Jessica’s makeup is being done by Rusty Mirage, a youthful 96 year old ghost.

by Anonymousreply 35May 10, 2023 5:44 AM

So if Jessica were to be in it, who gets top billing?

by Anonymousreply 36May 10, 2023 5:46 AM

In a fantasy world, anything is possible!

by Anonymousreply 37May 10, 2023 5:53 AM

The Lange-hating troll is apoplectic and unraveling at a faster clip, I see.

by Anonymousreply 38May 10, 2023 8:12 PM

Any truth to this rumor?

by Anonymousreply 39May 11, 2023 1:19 AM

No cast announcement yet, but this finally hit this week’s issue of Production Weekly. Does anyone have a subscription to confirm what it says?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 15, 2023 8:10 PM

Oop. Wrong link:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 15, 2023 8:20 PM

Will Jessica have the chance to do some late-career nudity?

by Anonymousreply 42May 15, 2023 8:41 PM

Jessica is on a roll. She's got at least 3, if not 4, high-profile projects and no actress deserves a better cinematic comeback than her.

I'm especially pleased that the project with Naomi Watts is being revived as well. I thought that was cancelled after there was no word on it for years so it's a pleasant surprise to hear it's still in the works. Naomi needs a good film role as well and it'll be wonderful to see the two King Kong heroines onscreen together.

by Anonymousreply 43May 15, 2023 11:44 PM

None of these projects have been confirmed but thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 44May 16, 2023 1:16 AM

R44 is the Lange hating loon

by Anonymousreply 45May 16, 2023 4:30 AM

R43 is the Lange Loon. Always making up stories.

by Anonymousreply 46May 16, 2023 5:22 AM

Maybe they can use CGI to resuscitate Fay Wray for the King Kong heroines reunion.

by Anonymousreply 47May 16, 2023 5:36 AM

Has anyone read the book The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll? I've heard it's creepy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48May 16, 2023 5:41 AM

Kim Greene was added as the make up artist for Kathy. So now we have to makeup department crew members credited as working with Lange and two with Bates…

by Anonymousreply 49May 16, 2023 9:36 PM

You can view Greene’s credit for this film here:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50May 16, 2023 9:38 PM

If Meryl passed on it then there must be an issue with it. She passed on "The Good House" and we all know how big that movie became.

by Anonymousreply 51May 16, 2023 9:43 PM

This’ll be Bates and Lange’s fifth project together. The two are close friends.

Incidentally, it’s interesting that Lange has maintained close friendships with a handful of her female co-stars, including Bates, Sarandon, Spacek, and Amy Madigan. She’s also apparently good friends with Patti LuPone, Patti Smith, and and author Julia Evans Reed.

In any event, as reclusive and as much as a loner that she says she is, she has a better track record of maintaining friendships with women of her stature than most.

by Anonymousreply 52May 16, 2023 9:54 PM

[quote] If Meryl passed on it then there must be an issue with it. She passed on "The Good House" and we all know how big that movie became.

The Good House was Sigourney's best role in years. It's a shame she didn't get any critical attention for it because she was wonderful and it felt like a return to form for her. I can't even imagine Meryl in the role because she lacks the patrician mannerisms that only Sigourney could portray.

by Anonymousreply 53May 17, 2023 1:01 AM

I thought Jessica retired to northern Minnesota?

by Anonymousreply 54May 17, 2023 1:04 AM

I believe the 2020s will relaunch Jessica as an A-List film star. Maybe not a commercial star, but certainly a critical one. All these films that have been announced have plum roles for any actress. I was under the impression that Long Day's Journey Into Night might be Jessica's last chance for a 3rd Oscar but now it seems like she'll have ample opportunity to collect a 3rd Oscar. I'll be a little less sad if the Academy gives Annette Bening her Oscar this year for Nyad over Jessica.

For Playing to the Gods, I'm very curious who will be Jessica's co-star in that. I'd love to see her and Glenn on the screen together and Glenn could also use a great role while we wait for Sunset Boulevard.

by Anonymousreply 55May 17, 2023 1:05 AM

Oh Lange Loon, this movie is not confirmed and yet you are already predicting Oscars for Jessica. This sounds like another Wild Oats, if it is ever made.

by Anonymousreply 56May 17, 2023 1:34 AM

I don’t think r53 Meryl would have been very good in that, I agree , but I can think of a few actresses who would have been probably a bit better than Sigourney. She was good but I always think there’s something lacking in her dramatic performances. Her line readings also …can just sound robotic at times.

by Anonymousreply 57May 17, 2023 1:54 AM

I wonder if any of the shit talk uttered by the likes of Sharon Stone stating all the good roles for older women go to Meryl have influenced her recent departure from projects and general low profile.

by Anonymousreply 58May 17, 2023 8:50 PM

R58 I think she has kept a low profile and not doing any big starring roles that she promoted since 2017 perhaps in part because she was aware of the backlash against her, fuelled in part by her continuing presence as an Oscar nominee.

I don't think she's bothered by comments from the likes of Stone. Sarandon actually said something similar about her in the 90s too. I also think part of why Meryl highly praises other actresses is she's aware of the bad feelings generated from her always being lauded over all others.

She or her husband may have been ill, or just wanted to be a Grandmother, hence her dropping out of the like of The Good House or this movie. Or she may just be sick of acting in serious roles and want to have fun.

by Anonymousreply 59May 17, 2023 9:10 PM

Just to add, although she was the star of the acclaimed "Let Them All Talk" it was shot in something like 13 days and had a lot of improvisation, and happened sort of spontaneously after working with Soderbergh on the disappointing Laundromat movie.

Glennie has also taking a few digs at Meryl despite Streep sending her antique earrings she admitted and wishing her luck when she opened in Sunset Boulevard. Siggy also complained that Meryl was always first choice for every role in Yale drama school.

I guess when you're really talented but someone is always praised and offered the best roles first it does piss you off!

by Anonymousreply 60May 17, 2023 9:15 PM

Besides Sarandon saying the same stuff that Sharon Stone just did but way back in the 90s, Jessica Chastain also called out Meryl sometime before Sharon did. Imo Streep's massive decline is linked to Weinstein. No one bought her BS about him. Glenn has never even worked with Weinstein but even she knew the truth about him because she said the people who did her hair and makeup would talk about it all the time. The moment Weinstein was locked up, notice that Meryl stopped getting roles AND Oscar nominations. The new Academy voter base is not interested in that aging cow whereas before, while Weinstein was around, she was getting Oscar nominations just for sneezing in a new accent.

Also I find Meryl very disingenuous with her contemporaries and I think they all see right through her. Look at that list above with all of Jessica's friends she's kept in touch with. I've never heard of Meryl having any friends like that except for the deceased Carrie Fisher, who Meryl knew was never a threat to her, and Emma Thompson, and we all saw how Meryl sabotaged her Oscar bid for Saving Mr. Banks. Meryl claims she and Glenn are friends but Glenn didn't even hesitate to say that's not true, they've never been friends. Meryl praises Jessica over and over and Jessica doesn't even deign to ever make a comment about her back. I've never heard Sharon, Susan, Sigourney, Sissy, or Sally feel the need to praise her either. For that matter, same with Frances McDormand who is the current reigning queen of the Oscars. Frances doesn't deal with that BS. Kathy Bates and Michelle Pfeiffer like to work with Jessica, but I've never seen them show any interest in working with Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 61May 17, 2023 9:23 PM

Pauline Kael hated Meryl but loved Jessica Lange and Michelle Pfeiffer.

Katharine Hepburn liked Julia Roberts, Melanie Griffiths, and Sally Field. Vanessa Redgrave was her favorite actress and she considered Glenn Close her successor. Meryl to her was only *click*click*click.

Lauren Bacall adored Jessica Lange as well as Annette Bening and Kate Winslet.

Anthony Hopkins thinks Jessica Lange is the greatest actress of all time and that Emma Thompson is his best co-star.

by Anonymousreply 62May 17, 2023 9:27 PM

This sounds fascinating.

Thank the goddess Glenn Close is out.

by Anonymousreply 63May 17, 2023 9:35 PM

R61 you're full of shit. Firstly Bates has praised her and tells a funny story of them getting drunk together after they lost the Oscar to CJZ in 2003.

Meryl was in a very small number of Weinstein produced movies. Why the fuck would Harvey help her get nominated for all the many movies he had nothing to do with, lessening the chances for his own movies? That's just dumb. You make it sound like she was his moll.

You also forget his bitter campaigning for Winslet in The Reader cost Meryl a win for Doubt. His campaign for CZJ and Chicago cost her a win for Adaptation. His campaign for Helen Mirren and The Queen over Streep in Prada. I'm not suggesting she would have won these but he sure went to bat for many other actresses, for his own interests.

Meryl has plenty of friends including Julie Walters, Catherine O'Hara, Goldie Hawn, Tracey Ullman, the late Nora Ephron and Christine Baranski. Almost everyone who's worked with her has nothing but good things to say about her. You don't have to spread tired old lies about her knowing about him, she openly admitted she thought he was an obnoxious pig when she did work with him but that's Hollywood.

And when has Lange or Sarandon ever complimented another actress of their stature?

by Anonymousreply 64May 17, 2023 9:46 PM

Hepburn hated Streep as she saw her as a threat. She was also nasty about Glenn and her "ugly feet".

If you want to play the name game Bette Davis praised Streep to high heaven

by Anonymousreply 65May 17, 2023 9:48 PM

People complaining about her getting the plum roles don't recognise that Meryl gets cast because she makes money. Ephron said the only way Julie & Julia got greenlit was because Streep signed on. It made $130m.

Her Thatcher movie made $130m

Her sex movie with Tommy Lee Jones made $120m

Her romcom with Alec Baldwin made $230m

The Post made $200m

The Good House made less than $3m

Producers will cast whoever has box office appeal and marketability

by Anonymousreply 66May 17, 2023 9:53 PM

Where’s that press release for Jessica’s new film? You said it would start shooting soon.

by Anonymousreply 67May 17, 2023 11:02 PM

Didn’t Streep suddenly have 3 grandchildren? I have a feeling that was more interesting to her than working a lot.

I wonder why this movie never gets made. Maybe no one will finance it.

by Anonymousreply 68May 17, 2023 11:05 PM

[quote]r62 Pauline Kael hated Meryl

Kael didn’t hate Streep. She thought she was “unusually effective” in The Deer Hunter and admired other performances here and there. She certainly never trashed her.

Mostly she thought Streep was mis-marketed, being ideally suited to musical comedy.

by Anonymousreply 69May 17, 2023 11:14 PM

Kael felt Streep's performances were too perfect they left her cold. She said she couldn't imagine her acting from the neck down (whatever that's meant to mean). She obviously didn't see her in Silkwood

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 70May 17, 2023 11:19 PM

Here's Helen Mirren, who worked with Weinstein as late as 2015 say she was absolutely shocked by the reports of his abuse. How come Meryl should know but Helen didn't?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71May 17, 2023 11:25 PM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 17, 2023 11:27 PM

R61 are all the celebs who claimed they didn't know the extent of Weinstein's abuse telling the truth except for the nefarious Streep?

by Anonymousreply 73May 17, 2023 11:29 PM

Does Glenn have anything in the pipeline or is she saving all her time and energy for Sunset Boulevard? I haven't heard of any upcoming projects with her.

by Anonymousreply 74May 18, 2023 4:16 AM

[quote] You also forget his bitter campaigning for Winslet in The Reader cost Meryl a win for Doubt.

Meryl’s cornball, scenery chewing performance cost Meryl a win for Doubt.

by Anonymousreply 75May 18, 2023 4:26 AM

Didn't Kathy Bates claim that Meryl was pissed that CZJ won the Oscar over her? Add CZJ to the long list of women Meryl is insecure about.

by Anonymousreply 76May 18, 2023 4:38 AM

More made up stories

by Anonymousreply 77May 18, 2023 4:51 AM

Robin Wright as Jessica's daughter makes sense. They always had a very strong physical resemblance. It's also known that Sean Penn is a huge fan of Jessica Lange and some have speculated that his attraction to Robin Wright was in part because of her resemblance to Jess.

by Anonymousreply 78May 18, 2023 7:40 AM

The screenwriter is Marian Seldes's niece. The lead character, Lillian Hall, a celebrated stage actress sounds like she has similarities to Ms. Seldes (never missing a performance, for one.) Marian's middle name is Hall, her mother's maiden name.

by Anonymousreply 79May 18, 2023 8:20 AM

Sunset Boulevard is not going to happen. Not with Glenn Close. Nothing's wrong with playing 50, unless you're looking 76.

by Anonymousreply 80May 18, 2023 8:27 AM

R72 Yeah, so much so she has a 'I Love Harvey' tattoo on one of her big fit arse cheeks.

by Anonymousreply 81May 18, 2023 8:32 AM

^ That should be 'FAT' not fit.

by Anonymousreply 82May 18, 2023 8:33 AM

R82 Freudian slip Granny-banger!

by Anonymousreply 83May 18, 2023 1:30 PM

Lol R76 I doubt Meryl is insecure about CZJ. Kathy tells the story of them having a vodka at the bar after their category was called.

by Anonymousreply 84May 18, 2023 1:31 PM

R72 Helen has been passed around the casting couches across Hollywood since the late 1960s. She probably sees it as normal acceptable behaviour. Doubt she has ever been asked to do anything she wasn't happy tom comply with.

by Anonymousreply 85May 18, 2023 2:00 PM

R85 Mirren never made anything besides the odds supporting appearance in Hollywood movies until the 2000s. She was mainly in British or European funded movies or in plays. Not that I'm sure she hasn't been abused a lot when younger, didnt she say as much?

by Anonymousreply 86May 18, 2023 3:39 PM

"Actresses, like Meryl Streep, who happily worked for The Pig Monster, are wearing black [at the] Golden Globes in a silent protest. Your silence is the problem. You’ll accept a fake award breathlessly and affect no real change. I despise your hypocrisy." - Rose McGowan

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87May 19, 2023 5:05 AM

Someone is triggered. Because Jessica has not been cast since The Politician.

by Anonymousreply 88May 19, 2023 5:38 AM

R87 you obviously have critical reasoning problems. Then you're saying everyone knew including Glenn, Dench, Mirren, Lange, Sarandon? Why pick Meryl out?

You're an asshole.

by Anonymousreply 89May 19, 2023 7:58 AM

People have (conveniently) forgotten that Streep was blamed for Harvey not because she did anything wrong, but because she dared to criticize Trump, she is the biggest actress in the world, and it was a way to punish a woman/Hollywood. Even now, the same morons blame her when hundreds of actors knew Harvey. Don’t get me started on Rose McGowan that attacked woman because she was out of work and irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 90May 19, 2023 6:35 PM

Lange Loon, you must be so excited that this imaginary film will start shooting on Monday.

by Anonymousreply 91May 19, 2023 6:39 PM

While I wait for something new from Miss Lange, I will watch something old from this collection:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92May 19, 2023 10:29 PM

That's an incredible collection R92 so thanks for bringing it to our attention! Although I wish they would have included Sweet Dreams instead of Losing Isaiah.

by Anonymousreply 93May 19, 2023 11:10 PM

Since the Lange Loon refuses to accept that Jessica Lange is making a comeback, even when all proof is posted here, I wonder how he'll refute Kathy Bates herself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94May 20, 2023 4:43 AM

Keep digging that hole. More made up stories.

by Anonymousreply 95May 20, 2023 5:17 AM

R95 Lange Loon is truly proving his lunacy when he flat out ignores Kathy Bates' own words. Apparently she's a liar making up stories now. Can't handle the fact that Kathy prefers Jess anyday over his sacred, aging cow Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 96May 20, 2023 5:19 AM

[quote] Imo Streep's massive decline is linked to Weinstein. No one bought her BS about him. Glenn has never even worked with Weinstein but even she knew the truth about him because she said the people who did her hair and makeup would talk about it all the time…Meryl claims she and Glenn are friends but Glenn didn't even hesitate to say that's not true, they've never been friends.

There was a immediate backlash when M stated she was unaware of Weinstein’s sexual misconduct (even though Helen Mirren and Judi Dench said pretty much the same thing), especially from Trumptards still pissed off by her Golden Globes speech. And G - smelling blood in the water - knew exactly what she was doing when she issued a statement not long after that “everyone knew”. Then later following up with that interview where she said she and M were never friends. She did her best to throw M under the bus.

by Anonymousreply 97May 20, 2023 5:21 AM

Show us the official announcement.

by Anonymousreply 98May 20, 2023 5:21 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 20, 2023 5:22 AM

Jessica was very sly telling us that The Politician will be her final TV role, hinting at her retirement for those who do not know better, but really meaning she is leaving TV for a grand return to the silver screen.

by Anonymousreply 100May 20, 2023 5:23 AM

More lies.

by Anonymousreply 101May 20, 2023 5:24 AM

Thank you R101 for your wonderful contributions to this thread, repeating the same word over and over. Perhaps you would find yourself more stimulated by branching out and extending your vocabulary, not to mention taste.

by Anonymousreply 102May 20, 2023 5:28 AM

R97 don't forget Glenn sharing her own harrowing #metoo experience, of a director putting his hand on her...thigh

by Anonymousreply 103May 20, 2023 5:29 AM

Jane Fonda did the toilet conversation thing (for laughs not true grit) in "Fun with Dick and Jane" (1976).

by Anonymousreply 104May 22, 2023 1:54 AM

Starting at 0:35 at the link below, we learn that director Michael Cristofer is currently in Atlanta doing pre-production on a new film project with "people in it that you are going to want to see." Why the secrecy?

That is all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105May 22, 2023 4:43 AM

Jessica is on roll with projects lined up, one after another.

by Anonymousreply 106May 22, 2023 6:35 AM

Omfg. They added 22—TWENTY-TWO!—fucking supporting cast members—all unknowns—to this film’s IMDb Pro page between yesterday and today, but no confirmation on who is playing Lillian Hall, and no Lange or hates! 😭 Based on R105, me thinks Michael know exactly what he’s doing! And frankly, I’m love-hating the suspense.

That said, the aforementioned makeup artists and hair stylists are still credited to “Jessica Lange,” “Kathy Bates,” and “Jessica Lange and Kathy Bates,” respectively. ☝🏻😌 I suppose we’ll find out more on May 22, when shooting begins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107May 23, 2023 1:16 AM

Cristofer did a brilliant job with ‘Gia.’

by Anonymousreply 108May 23, 2023 1:21 AM

Lange has finally been added to the cast as Lillian Hall.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109May 27, 2023 3:45 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 27, 2023 3:51 PM

R109, ... in a large cast of unknowns. I hope it gets better.

by Anonymousreply 111May 27, 2023 4:32 PM

R111 First, this film looks like it’s going to have a rather large cast. Second, never underestimate the power and potential of an unknown thespian.

by Anonymousreply 112May 27, 2023 4:34 PM

Streep may be playing Bates’ role now…

by Anonymousreply 113May 27, 2023 8:02 PM

So Bates and Streep play Lange's daughters?

by Anonymousreply 114May 27, 2023 8:27 PM

R114 lmao.

Streep will play Lange’s best friend. Bates will be busy shooting Matlock.

by Anonymousreply 115May 27, 2023 8:40 PM

Streep has nothing to do with the movie, she dropped out

by Anonymousreply 116May 27, 2023 10:57 PM

This is the first I'm hearing of this project, and would like to state that "Places, Please" is the campiest working title I've heard in a long, long time. Will it be subtitled "The Helen Lawson Story" or something?

by Anonymousreply 117May 27, 2023 11:37 PM

R116 You’ll find out soon.

by Anonymousreply 118May 28, 2023 12:04 AM

Lily Rabe has been added to the cast.

by Anonymousreply 119May 28, 2023 1:29 PM

Is Lily is playing the daughter? Or will that part go to the yet-to-be-announced Sarah Paulson?

by Anonymousreply 120May 28, 2023 1:50 PM

R120 I was thrilled to see Lily was added in part because I felt it lessened the chances of Paulson appearing in this. Rabe is a much more talented and compelling actress. In either case, I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s playing the daughter.

by Anonymousreply 121May 28, 2023 2:09 PM

A tweet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122May 29, 2023 5:51 AM

[quote]R103 don't forget Glenn sharing her own harrowing #metoo experience, of a director putting his hand on her...thigh

Probably as far as he could force himself to go.

by Anonymousreply 123May 30, 2023 5:22 AM

This has been reclassified from “Pre-Production” to “In Production” on IMDb. It looks like filming has commenced.

by Anonymousreply 124May 30, 2023 10:20 PM

I hope Jessica knocks it out of the park. Remind these young whippersnappers what a great actress can do when given the material!

by Anonymousreply 125May 30, 2023 11:12 PM

R125 I’m thrilled for her. As previously noted, Lange works when she so chooses. It’s great to see her emerge from her cyclical hermeticism and forays into supporting fare as favors to friends and those she admires and get to real work. Here’s hoping ‘The Lonely Doll’ and Sucsy project are not far behind. 🥂

by Anonymousreply 126May 31, 2023 1:26 AM

Also, according to this film’s status on IMDBPro, filming began last week, as previously reported.

by Anonymousreply 127May 31, 2023 1:27 AM

Lange could see a great renaissance if LDJIN is a success this year and her Marlene Dietrich mini-series takes off next year, plus this movie. Hope they aren't duds, she deserves a revival

by Anonymousreply 128June 2, 2023 7:44 PM

Kathy Bates has finally been added to the cast on IMDb.

by Anonymousreply 129June 14, 2023 10:58 AM

Wasn't, R118 AKA the Mad Meryl freak trying to claim that Kathy Bates had been replaced with Meryl and we all just needed to be patient and wait for the news to come out? So much for that. No one wants that washed up, worn out, old horse anymore.

by Anonymousreply 130June 15, 2023 4:54 PM

R130 The Lange Loon was so apoplectic about the idea of Lange being the lead in two films within a year, it tried convincing everyone that the Lange fan was delusional for believing what was reported on IMDb, i.e., that Lange and Bates are starring in this.

by Anonymousreply 131June 15, 2023 11:24 PM

So Jessica's upcoming projects include Long Day's Journey Into Night with Ed Harris, Places Please with Kathy Bates, The Secret Life of the Lonely Doll with Naomi Watts, and the Ryan Murphy limited series on Marlene Dietrich.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132June 15, 2023 11:28 PM

R132 And the Michael Sucsy film.

by Anonymousreply 133June 15, 2023 11:29 PM

R133 What's that one about?

by Anonymousreply 134June 15, 2023 11:30 PM

R134 It hasn’t been announced but it’s mention in her new biography.

by Anonymousreply 135June 15, 2023 11:34 PM

Oh neat. I still haven't picked it up yet. Very exciting to see Lange get a career resurgence. It reminds me of Susan Sarandon becoming one of the most in-demand actresses in her 40s in the 90s or Katharine Hepburn's era of prestige films in the 60s-80s except Lange is much older than both of them.

by Anonymousreply 136June 15, 2023 11:36 PM

Outside of Bates, two other actresses I'd love to see her star alongside again are Joan Allen and Susan Sarandon.

by Anonymousreply 137June 15, 2023 11:44 PM

Oh and I forgot Michelle Pfeiffer.

by Anonymousreply 138June 15, 2023 11:44 PM

Because of this thread, I had a dream Jessica, Kathy, and Meryl were working together on a film and Meryl was being iced out and bullied by the other two.

by Anonymousreply 139June 16, 2023 1:16 PM

Aww

by Anonymousreply 140June 16, 2023 8:16 PM

R139 I'm sure Jess and Kathy crib about Meryl and her airs anyway. They're far more down to earth. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the same case with Kathy and Glenn when they worked together in The Great Hilly Hopkins. Glenn doesn't even pretend anymore to like Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 141June 16, 2023 8:52 PM

I'd much rather see Meryl.

by Anonymousreply 142June 16, 2023 9:47 PM

R141 lol are you the idiot who thought Meryl sunk Thompson on purpose by saying Disney was an anti-Semite?

Bates had some really nice things to say about Streep in some interview she did years ago. And how exactly does M put on airs?

I think Glenn is a good duck but she doesn't really have many showbiz friends that we know of, she might be a loner, which is cool. The only bitchy thing she said about M was that she never has had to struggle for roles. G is understandable a bit jealous as a few plum roles would have come her way if it weren't for Streep.

by Anonymousreply 143June 17, 2023 11:40 AM

Lange and Bates have been spotted filming around Atlanta. Lange is sporting a “mostly grey with a little bit of faded strawberry blonde” hairdo.

by Anonymousreply 144June 17, 2023 4:57 PM

So nice of Meryl to step aside for these golden oldies

by Anonymousreply 145June 17, 2023 5:40 PM

Places, Please shall become a new classic like All About Eve.

Jessica Lange will continue the legacy of Bette Davis as she did with Katharine Hepburn (Long Day's Journey Into Night), Joan Crawford (Feud), Vivien Leigh (A Streetcar Named Desire), Gene Tierney (Night and the City), Elizabeth Taylor (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof), Fay Wray (King Kong), Lana Turner (The Postman Always Rings Twice), Frances Farmer (Frances), Marilyn Monroe (Blue Sky), and Patsy Cline (Sweet Dreams).

by Anonymousreply 146June 18, 2023 1:03 AM

R146 so you're basically accusing her of ripping other stars off?

by Anonymousreply 147June 18, 2023 9:27 AM

I never miss a Lauren Buglioli movie

Isn’t this shut down because of the WGA strike?

by Anonymousreply 148June 18, 2023 10:35 PM

R147 Not at all. I'm pointing out that Jessica carries the cinematic legacy of the great actresses of yesterday. I seldom see actresses today give a damn about any of the legends (minus Marilyn although I hardly consider her an actress). Lange has paid tribute to all these women and her star shines as bright as theirs. I should add that Marlene Dietrich will be on her list as well with the new Ryan Murphy limited series about her starring Lange.

Glenn is the only other actress I have seen who similarly pays homage to her predecessors. Katharine Hepburn is her idol and Glenn channeled her for her debut film appearance in The World According to Garp not to mention in the TV version of The Lion in Winter. Then there is Gloria Swanson in Sunset Boulevard, Mitzi Gaynor in South Pacific, Tallulah Bankhead in the 101 Dalmatians movies, and her Maxie was also an ode to 1930s actresses. Not to mention she also played Blanche in Streetcar so like Jess, she's paid homage to Vivien Leigh as well. She was also the one who gave Deborah Kerr her honorary Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 149June 19, 2023 1:07 AM

R149 Glenn channelling Vivien Leigh for the masses? You're really stretching it now. I bet you had high hopes Wild Oats would be a major box office smash too.

by Anonymousreply 150June 19, 2023 12:03 PM

Kathy filming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151June 22, 2023 1:27 AM

She looks wonderful. I think this is the first time I've seen her with really long hair. It suits her.

by Anonymousreply 152June 22, 2023 1:28 AM

For those who don’t have Instagram.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153June 22, 2023 1:30 AM

Will Jessica Lange be playing her character as lusty but slightly unstable, with a climatic breakdown scene?

by Anonymousreply 154June 22, 2023 7:05 AM

Mr. Pierce Brosnan, OBE, has been added to the cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 29, 2023 11:37 AM

Report from an extra who saw Lange and Rabe filming a scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156June 29, 2023 9:47 PM

More interesting details about Jess behind the scenes. Part of this exchange was included in the previous screenshot. According to the extra, Lang‘s character appears to suffer from Alzheimer’s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157June 29, 2023 11:39 PM

More.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158June 29, 2023 11:40 PM

According to Lange’s hair stylist, the filming has wrapped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159June 29, 2023 11:43 PM

I'm ready for my close up, Mr. Cristofer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 160June 30, 2023 3:47 AM

^The chick knows howda pose.

by Anonymousreply 161June 30, 2023 3:53 AM

Is this some low budget under the radar film? There has never been any press release on it. I wonder who financed it.

by Anonymousreply 162June 30, 2023 3:58 AM

R163, there was press when Meryl was involved.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163June 30, 2023 4:59 AM

^ I meant R162.

by Anonymousreply 164June 30, 2023 4:59 AM

Hmm. I guess Jessica did not merit a press release. I hope they can sell it for distribution.

by Anonymousreply 165June 30, 2023 5:14 AM

There’s no grand conspiracy, Matthew., R165. In a recent interview posted above, the director of the film made it clear he didn’t want to prematurely reveal anything about the film, specifically about the cast, before production began and wrapped.

by Anonymousreply 166June 30, 2023 9:51 AM

Re: the picture at R160, she is one of those people who exudes sex, doesn't matter how old she gets.

by Anonymousreply 167June 30, 2023 1:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!