Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New York on cusp of being first state in nation to ban natural gas under new budget — and residents are furious

If the power goes out, then what?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 5, 2023 2:42 AM

New York politicians ( amongst the worst in the world) produce enough natural gas to power the world for decades.

by Anonymousreply 1April 29, 2023 1:24 AM

Why go looking for issues when so many real issues were ignored

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 29, 2023 1:58 AM

In related news, Rupert Murdoch not a fan of efforts to combat climate change.

Fuck off, wingnut troll.

by Anonymousreply 3April 29, 2023 2:04 AM

I was thinking California would ban them due to the recent studies about gas stoves causing health issues.

by Anonymousreply 4April 29, 2023 2:12 AM

and a good night to you R3 🤡

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5April 29, 2023 2:12 AM

and what about electric bikes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 29, 2023 2:17 AM

R2 links to the New York Post

by Anonymousreply 7April 29, 2023 2:19 AM

New York City officials shut down four parking garages Friday "where structural concerns necessitated areas of the buildings to be immediately vacated" in the wake of the deadly collapse in Lower Manhattan.

Same story; different channel

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 29, 2023 2:24 AM

Are the building code enforcement in NY not done by municipalities? Where do parking decks intersect with gas stoves? Regardless…

OP I suggest you just do as some do in the South when it gets cold and set up your Weber Grill in the kitchen. Just a dozen briquettes or so will have you whole house warm as toast.

by Anonymousreply 9April 29, 2023 2:40 AM

Restaurants are equipped with more proper ventilation to use gas for cooking. Homes and apartments are not.

A house near me literally exploded into oblivion due to a gas leak. The property still is vacant.

I love to cook, electric and induction are just fine.

by Anonymousreply 10April 29, 2023 3:22 AM

I've always been uneasy about gas stoves, they smell pretty strong. Which means you're inhaling fumes....didn't realize it was such a fire hazard though.

by Anonymousreply 11April 29, 2023 4:01 AM

[quote] New York politicians ( amongst the worst in the world)

Yes, our little pullet-faced friend, we see … we see.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 29, 2023 4:23 AM

I’ve had gas stoves my entire life. Never had a problem. I know people who complain about having electric stoves.

by Anonymousreply 13April 29, 2023 5:11 AM

New York being fucking New York. The upstate folks must be seething with more idiocy coming from downstate groupthink.

by Anonymousreply 14April 29, 2023 5:55 AM

If it's of such utmost importance to your life, don't buy or rent a New York State properly built after the regulation takes effect.

I've never bought or rented or lived in any but historic buildings my whole life. It's a preference, but by no means difficult to adhere to, particularly if you expanded the scope to all existing buildings before 2023 or whenever it may take effect.

by Anonymousreply 15April 29, 2023 7:03 AM

don't Ina Garten, Martha Stewart, Gordon Ramsey, Wolfgang Puck . . .prefer gas to electric?

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2023 10:41 AM

[quote]If the power goes out, then what

People will be inconvenienced until it comes back.

What do you think happens when the power goes out? Are you feeding dying orphans with your gas stove?

Why are MAGAts so dramatic?

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2023 10:58 AM

R17 has worn out the letters M-A-G-T-R-U-P on her keyboard

by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2023 11:03 AM

[Quote] I've always been uneasy about gas stoves, they smell pretty strong. Which means you're inhaling fumes....didn't realize it was such a fire hazard though.

People are the real hazard.

-'Officials said something was left cooking when the family fell asleep.' -'FDNY fire marshals determined the fire started in the kitchen and said there was no smoke alarm present in the apartment.'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2023 11:12 AM

I was going to buy a hybrid gas range (gas hobs, electric oven) until I saw what an induction range can do.

The ease of clean up especially sold me.

Love induction!

by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2023 11:36 AM

OP we are not furious. Be we wanted this. Mind your own beeswax.

by Anonymousreply 21April 29, 2023 11:43 AM

[Quote] Mind your own beeswax.

Miss Lindsay Graham has joined the chat

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2023 11:50 AM

What about unnatural gas??

by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2023 11:55 AM

R17 how in the fuck do Americans manage to politicize a type of stove?

I'm embarrassed for you.

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2023 12:19 PM

I grew up in upstate NY and nobody I knew had a gas stove in their home. When i moved to Brooklyn and saw that my kitchen stove had 4 constantly lit flames under the burners and one under the oven, it totally freaked me out.

I'm so thrilled to be back in a building with only electric ovens.

by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2023 12:48 PM

This law will be for NEW construction. No one is coming Ina Garten's stove. I don't know anything about the issue but if Albany is involved I'm sure it's political.

From NYT

Ms. Hochul said on Thursday the deal was a “conceptual agreement” whose broad strokes needed to be “fine tuned” before a final vote was held. The proposed ban would not apply to existing buildings.

Ms. Zielinski said the measure would also allow exemptions for facilities that may need to use fossil fuels for emergency backup power, including hospitals and laboratories. And she said the governor’s office was still “figuring out” how the measure will be applied to new construction in areas where the electrical grid may not be up to the task.

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2023 12:58 PM

[Quote] Be we wanted this

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2023 1:00 PM

No one is "furious" or "seething" about the house they were going to build in the future except the Maggots.

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2023 1:07 PM

Most gas appliances can be easily converted to work from butane/propane gas bottles, you just switch the jets. It'll take a long time after the natural gas supply is totally switched off to rid anywhere of the appliance's.

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2023 1:10 PM

[Quote] No one is "furious" or "seething" about the house they were going to build in the future except the Maggots.

Maggots live rent free in her head

by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2023 1:29 PM

No serious cook would use an electric stove.

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2023 1:46 PM

Who actually cooks in NYC other than gays?

by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2023 2:37 PM

For R25 Upstate New York = Yonkers.

by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2023 2:48 PM

Why are people like OP so dedicated to hating anything that might help the environment, even if it does mean that, gee, maybe they'd have to sacrifice lighting a gas stove?

And why are people lie OP so dedicated to linking to the far right wing NY Post?

by Anonymousreply 34April 29, 2023 2:53 PM

Upstate = The Bronx

by Anonymousreply 35April 29, 2023 3:35 PM

[quote]The upstate folks must be seething with more idiocy coming from downstate groupthink.

Oh honey, the upstate folks live in Kentucky. Like we care what they think?

by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2023 3:56 PM

Good for NY for trying to reduce fossil fuel dependency.

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2023 4:04 PM

[Quote] Who actually cooks in NYC other than gays?

Brooklynites

Officials said something was left cooking when the family fell asleep.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2023 4:05 PM

She inhaled our kitchen!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2023 4:11 PM

The Colbert Report

Stephen Colbert sparks backlash with joke about ‘dangerous’ stoves: ‘You don’t know what you’re talking about’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40April 30, 2023 11:32 AM

Next on Hannity: The Liberals' War on Stoves.

by Anonymousreply 41April 30, 2023 11:50 AM

Let's be honest here .. gas cooking appliances are becoming downmarket at a rapidly accelerating pace.

The diehards who love their gas stoves will be dead sooner than later, after they have used the planet without a fare-thee-well to coming generations.

Younger generations just add this reticence to part with gas cookery to the list they believe that current generations have screwed things up for them.

by Anonymousreply 42April 30, 2023 12:01 PM

Aside from stoves, how common is heating by natural gas in NY?

by Anonymousreply 43April 30, 2023 4:05 PM

Lol no one wants to buy a multimillion dollar house that doesn’t have a gas range.

by Anonymousreply 44April 30, 2023 4:07 PM

As someone who has only used gas stoves in other people's homes, can someone who owns one tell me what's so great about them?

I thought it smelled and took forever to heat up a pan or food.

by Anonymousreply 45April 30, 2023 4:08 PM

R45

It's easier to regulate the heat/flame on each burner, and you can get a much stronger heat/flame for cooking. That's primarily true for natural gas; propane does not provide the intensity that natural gas does.

I've also used induction, and it's great.

Gas overns, however, don't seem to heat evenly, and forget broiling - gas can't broil a steak. It can make meat grey, though, if that's your preference.

by Anonymousreply 46April 30, 2023 4:21 PM

R45 there is a reason restaurants use gas. You can regulate the temperature easier. I don’t know what you’ve cooked on but a decent gas stove heats much faster than an electric one.

by Anonymousreply 47April 30, 2023 4:22 PM

Damn those overns.

by Anonymousreply 48April 30, 2023 4:22 PM

Interesting that the right wing news is circulating this. Pathetic. If you are worried about gas stoves, besides their having lack of maintenance causing explosions and major fires, that’s good, but the alt right needs to look for things actually more dangerous and toxic, like maybe banning guns.

by Anonymousreply 49April 30, 2023 4:28 PM

Read this:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 30, 2023 5:43 PM

R46 I had my fan assisted gas oven replaced with a conventional model because I like the different temperature areas in the oven. Hot at the top, medium in the middle, and cooler at the bottom. I have a gas salamander grill for steak, they are dangerously hot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51April 30, 2023 7:35 PM

The unhealthfulness of indoor use of natural gas is a real issue. Natural gas is linked not only to greenhouse gas, but the nitrogen dioxide produced and concentrated indoors is an asthma and COPD trigger. Sorry you hate science and progress. Scandanavians think we're savages for using NG appliances indoors.

by Anonymousreply 52April 30, 2023 7:45 PM

You need a really good extractor if you use NG indoors. Much easier to install in a house rather than an apartment.

by Anonymousreply 53April 30, 2023 7:48 PM

[quote] When i moved to Brooklyn and saw that my kitchen stove had 4 constantly lit flames under the burners and one under the oven, it totally freaked me out.

MARY!

by Anonymousreply 54April 30, 2023 7:50 PM

Don’t worry, they’re determined to fuck restaurants other ways in NYC.

Hey, if NYers are happy about these choices, fine. I would be more focused on reducing crime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55April 30, 2023 7:55 PM

More nitrogen dioxide

=

more dain bramage

=

more Republicans

by Anonymousreply 56April 30, 2023 8:07 PM

No chef uses electric stoves in the restaurant. None.

by Anonymousreply 57April 30, 2023 8:19 PM

R57 = ostrich with head in sand

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58April 30, 2023 8:33 PM

[quote] People will be inconvenienced until it comes back.

And freeze to death in the middle of winter.

by Anonymousreply 59April 30, 2023 9:28 PM

Most of these politicians use private planes and aren’t affected by any of this legislation. They’re rich.

by Anonymousreply 60April 30, 2023 9:29 PM

[Quote]Who actually cooks in NYC other than gays?

Millions based on the number of families purchasing food at one of many supermarkets and not just welfare recipients.

by Anonymousreply 61June 3, 2023 7:16 PM

I"m more worried about the aging gas infrastructure. I see explosions, flames.....

by Anonymousreply 62June 3, 2023 7:46 PM

[quote]I grew up in upstate NY and nobody I knew had a gas stove in their home. When i moved to Brooklyn and saw that my kitchen stove had 4 constantly lit flames under the burners and one under the oven, it totally freaked me out.

You're easily freaked out.

by Anonymousreply 63June 4, 2023 8:31 PM

So, r62, do you see...dead people?

by Anonymousreply 64June 4, 2023 8:34 PM

They'll be coming for gas-powered cars a lot sooner than you'd imagine. Wait till the panic sets in after a particularly nasty summer ...

by Anonymousreply 65June 4, 2023 8:52 PM

Right wing outrage thread

by Anonymousreply 66June 4, 2023 8:54 PM

During the great northeast blackout in the summer of 2004, it was nice being able to fry some bacon, scramble some eggs and make some coffee in my moka pot all using my gas range. I was also able to make phone calls using my plain old telephone service copper landline.

by Anonymousreply 67June 4, 2023 9:11 PM

R24, Because MAGAts raise a stink whenever a Democrat wants to stop dangerous or harmful activities.

If Ron DeSantis said that gas stoves were "WOKE" and thus must be henceforth banned, they'd be all for it.

by Anonymousreply 68June 4, 2023 9:20 PM

Just Madeline Kahn in her role in "Clue" R62

by Anonymousreply 69June 5, 2023 2:42 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!