Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

How Long Will It Be Before Ozempic Is Banned?

You know it’s coming. It’ll be like Fen-phen and so many others.

by Anonymousreply 106May 31, 2023 5:30 AM

The weight loss is quick but I just heard a report that 2/3 of the weight you lose is non-fat tissue, which is not good.

by Anonymousreply 1April 28, 2023 6:26 PM

Those celebrities who used Ozempic to lose a ton of weight now all look rather sickly.

by Anonymousreply 2April 28, 2023 6:29 PM

If the fucking celebrities would stop hoarding it…

by Anonymousreply 3April 28, 2023 6:42 PM

R2 yeah? Who?

by Anonymousreply 4April 28, 2023 6:43 PM

Taking a prescription drug for the unintended side effects sounds like a recipe for disaster.

by Anonymousreply 5April 28, 2023 6:44 PM

Future generations will get ambulance-chasing thyroid cancer commercials on MeTV and other antenna stations, like the asbestos exposure and mesothelioma ads of today.

by Anonymousreply 6April 28, 2023 6:45 PM

😂 You dumb motherfuckers are still on this? How about NEVER. Soon everyone will be taking Ozempic. They’ll put kids on it just to prevent them from possibly getting fat. Obesity will soon be eradicated. We’ll all be sexy and ripped.

by Anonymousreply 7April 28, 2023 6:46 PM

R4 Mindy Kaling comes to mind

by Anonymousreply 8April 28, 2023 6:48 PM

Someone i know who used Ozempic for two years developed an autoimmune illness and lost all her hair. I still wonder if the ozempic caused it.

She is thing but has to wear a wig

by Anonymousreply 9April 28, 2023 7:00 PM

It must be Ozempic. Nobody developed autoimmune illnesses before Ozempic hit the market.

by Anonymousreply 10April 28, 2023 7:18 PM

[quote]Taking a prescription drug for the unintended side effects sounds like a recipe for disaster.

It’s called an off-label use and it’s been an accepted practice for 50 years.

And Wegovy is FDA-approved for weight loss.

by Anonymousreply 11April 28, 2023 7:24 PM

I'm basically an optimist OP, but even I have been wondering what terrible medical malady will be diagnosed in 5 years because of the Ozempic craze. It seems like every time we find something that works for fast and safe weight loss, down the road there's a price to pay. I think even bariatric surgery, while effective, has some long range unpleasantness associated with it.

by Anonymousreply 12April 28, 2023 7:25 PM

These quick weight loss drugs always seem to not end well. Women took speed like no tomorrow legally back in the day before it was banned.

by Anonymousreply 13April 28, 2023 7:27 PM

Fen-phen was never a single drug and wasn't studied for safety or approved in combination by the FDA. It was two different drugs that had both been on the market for decades without problems but wasn't combined until the 90s. It wasn't long after people started using it that side effects were noticed and the FDA requested it's withdrawal from the market. Fenfluramine's approval was withdrawn in 98 but re-approved in 2020. The other drug, phentermine had been around since 1959 with no problems and is still available.

GLP-1 receptor agonists like semaglutide (Ozempic, Wegovy) have been around since 2005 and Ozempic WAS tested for safety before FDA approval. And then later it was studied in non-diabetics for weight loss and again tested for safety and approved as Wegovy.

So they're not the same. Fen-phen was neither studied for safety nor approved by the FDA. Ozempic was.

I hope that bit of information helps the Ozempic obsessed posters who start thread after thread and post about it to put their minds at ease.

I'm sorry if it's causing people to lose weight and depriving you of your most cherished activity-making fun of fat people.

They make drugs for people like you too. They're in a class called anti-psychotics.

by Anonymousreply 14April 28, 2023 7:29 PM

[quote]It must be Ozempic. Nobody developed autoimmune illnesses before Ozempic hit the market

Accept for Jada Pinkett Smith and a million other people who never took Ozempic. Rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disease for gods sake! Where the hell do you people get your information? Is there a Fox News medical channel I'm unaware of?

by Anonymousreply 15April 28, 2023 7:33 PM

[quote]Soon everyone will be taking Ozempic. They’ll put kids on it just to prevent them from possibly getting fat.

Lilly has already finished their study of Mounjaro in non-diabetic children under 12 for weight loss. They had previously studied it in adults without diabetes for weight loss. They're holding off on seeking FDA approval until they can get it approved for all ages.

And obese and overweight kids have a higher likelihood of going on to become adults with severe obesity, so stopping it before they're adults is probably a good thing.

by Anonymousreply 16April 28, 2023 7:39 PM

I think Mindy Kaling looks great. It's the morbidly obese who end up looking deflated.

by Anonymousreply 17April 28, 2023 7:45 PM

[QUOTE] Accept for Jada Pinkett Smith

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 18April 28, 2023 8:19 PM

[quote]Oh, dear

I know the difference between except and accept. I was using voice to text, and I don't proofread unless I'm getting paid for it.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2023 8:21 PM

[quote] Someone i know who used Ozempic for two years developed an autoimmune illness and lost all her hair. I still wonder if the ozempic caused it. She is thing but has to wear a wig

Nobody ever said beauty came cheap.

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2023 8:38 PM

[QUOTE] I know the difference between except and accept. I was using voice to text

Is voice to text also to blame for your poor sarcasm detection skills, R19?

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2023 10:25 PM

R15, that poster was being facetious.

by Anonymousreply 22April 28, 2023 10:32 PM

It only works when you keep taking it. You’ve gotta self inject OR your normal appetite snaps right back. $1,000 a month. Most insurance plans do not cover it for weight loss. They only will cover it if you are prescribed it if you are diabetic.

by Anonymousreply 23April 28, 2023 10:36 PM

I wonder if DL favourite LIZZO will emerge rail thin after an Ozempic cure.

Can you imagine?

by Anonymousreply 24April 28, 2023 11:22 PM

If Lizzo lost weight, she’d become a nobody overnight. Immensity is her identity, so she’ll stay far away from Ozempic the fat destroyer.

by Anonymousreply 25April 28, 2023 11:27 PM

Why not just go on Metformin instead? If you're that huge you're also more than likely diabetic as well. It gives you the explosive shits, but also kills your appetite.

by Anonymousreply 26April 28, 2023 11:33 PM

[quote]Why not just go on Metformin instead? If you're that huge you're also more than likely diabetic as well. It gives you the explosive shits, but also kills your appetite.

Some doctors are prescribing Metformin for weight loss, because it's much cheaper than Ozempic and Mounjaro. But it's probably nowhere near as effective.

by Anonymousreply 27April 28, 2023 11:45 PM

It won’t change your life. You’re still ugly, unintelligent and overall uninteresting.

by Anonymousreply 28April 28, 2023 11:52 PM

I want a prescription, hook me up

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2023 12:08 AM

[quote]Is voice to text also to blame for your poor sarcasm detection skills, [R19]?

There are a lot of really stupid people here. Being able to distinguish sarcasm from something they sincerely believe is a skill worthy of an award.

by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2023 12:22 AM

For the love of God, could you all stop talking about fucking Ozempic? Ozempic is what diabetics take. Wegovy (although the same drug) is what people take for weight loss.

If you want to make stupid jokes about fat people, at least try to be smart and call it Wegovy.

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2023 12:26 AM

I just find it interesting that all the slim, slight, svelte, fit, in-shape Dataloungers know so much about diet drugs.

by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2023 12:31 AM

R27, I'm diabetic. I dropped 70lbs over the course of several months when my doc put me on Metformin. That's only why I mentioned it.

by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2023 3:16 AM

R26 I took Metformin. I felt like I had the flu for a month. I take Ozempic for diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 34April 29, 2023 5:07 AM

R31 Considering the Wegovy shortage, many celebs and rich people are actually getting Ozempic because their physicians value money over ethics and so have no qualms about prescribing Ozempic for off-label use.

by Anonymousreply 35April 29, 2023 9:22 AM

I take Metformin, and have been for about six years now. I have not lost any weight because of it but, on the bright side, have not had explosive diarrhea either.

What am I doing wrong?

by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2023 10:19 AM

I'm like you, r36. Take metformin1K mg 2X day and no weight loss, no diarrhea.

But my AIC is controlled and in range,

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2023 10:36 AM

^^ And it's free at my Kroger pharmacy.

by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2023 10:37 AM

A non-diabetic friend has been on it and insurance covers it.

I’ve read that malnutrition is a concern with users.

by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2023 11:12 AM

Link to your report r1.

by Anonymousreply 40April 29, 2023 11:22 AM

My doctor prescribed Metformin after I gained 25lbs during the quarantine as well as stopped exercising. (I hung on for as long as I could maintaining structure but I lost motivation and got really depressed.) Anyway, she prescribed Metformin (twice a day) because my blood sugar had gone up. I would get so damn hot at night I couldn’t sleep. Turns out that’s a side effect for some people. We cut the dose in half and in conclusion, it didn’t do a damn thing for me.

by Anonymousreply 41April 29, 2023 11:38 AM

Christ, if Lizzo lost weight her tits would look even fucking worse.

by Anonymousreply 42April 29, 2023 11:43 AM

Mounjaro is more effective than Wegovy/Ozempic and costs about $300 less a month. Analysts are saying that when it's officially approved for weight loss (which they were predicting for April but didn't happen) it will quickly become the highest earning drug in history.

by Anonymousreply 43April 29, 2023 2:51 PM

R1, what is it then if not fat? Organs? Hair? Toenails? WTF?

by Anonymousreply 44April 29, 2023 3:47 PM

So are these drugs basically expensive appetite suppressants (if you're non-diabetic)? Seems like there's been a lot of lectures about how being overweight couldn't possibly be related to how much you eat.

by Anonymousreply 45April 29, 2023 5:01 PM

If you suffer the side-effects of nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, etc, do they fuel the weight loss further? They sound like they'd make life a living hell. Anyone here been on this stuff? And doesn't the weight come back once you stop taking it?

by Anonymousreply 46April 30, 2023 12:00 AM

R39 Sometimes I forget to eat because I’m not hungry and then have symptoms of low blood sugar.

by Anonymousreply 47April 30, 2023 9:40 PM

R46, not everyone has side effects, but the usual warning is that it takes a while for your body to get used to the drug. The problem I’ve had is what R47 describes: the stuff kills your appetite so thoroughly that you have to remind yourself eat. You also have to remember to keep yourself hydrated.

by Anonymousreply 48April 30, 2023 10:04 PM

My friend cannot dine out unless there is a restroom and you’ve got at least an extra 30 minutes to sit and wait alone at the table while she shits out the food she just consumed and says she’s cramped and feeling sick afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 49April 30, 2023 10:10 PM

A friend passed out and really bruised herself when she was put on it for diabetes.

by Anonymousreply 50April 30, 2023 10:13 PM

It doesn't sound so great...making yourself eat and drink does not sound like fun.

by Anonymousreply 51May 1, 2023 1:29 AM

Why hasn't Chrissy Metz's doctors put her on Ozempic ??

by Anonymousreply 52May 1, 2023 2:03 AM

R52 because there's already a shortage, and she would require enough Ozempic to treat an entire city.

by Anonymousreply 53May 1, 2023 2:05 AM

R14, it more has to do with abuse. Look at the opioid crisis. Shit gets out of control, issues are found out later.

by Anonymousreply 54May 1, 2023 7:40 AM

Wait for the reports of blood clots from being injecting themselves repeatedly and incorrectly.

by Anonymousreply 55May 1, 2023 7:41 AM

Been in healthcare 35 years. Big Pharma makes these drugs and spends millions and millions on advertising. And it works.

Big Pharma then makes billions and billions on sales.

And then? Years later the lawsuits start. Government gets involved. Big pharma pays a few billions and it's over.

Big Pharma is the multi billion dollar winner. And they keep getting away with it.

by Anonymousreply 56May 1, 2023 8:02 AM

A buddy uses it for diabetes and hasn't lost a pound

by Anonymousreply 57May 1, 2023 8:05 AM

R51, making yourself eat is a lot more fun than trying to make yourself stop. Congrats if you can already do that

by Anonymousreply 58May 1, 2023 1:11 PM

R55, it's a short needle into the skin, like an Epipen, so it would be hard to cause blood clots. Also, diabetics have been injecting themselves with insulin since forever without dying of blood clots.

The gastro/nausea side effects are supposed to only last a couple of weeks after you reach peak dose. It takes two or three weeks to get there, so I guess you'd have them for about 4-6 weeks altogether if you were very sensitive. However, after that they are supposed to subside. The drugs certainly do not depend on your being sick if you eat too much. They work by taking away your appetite. And yes, it will return if you stop them, so you're an idiot if you use them to lose just a few pounds.

by Anonymousreply 59May 1, 2023 1:49 PM

Why do the commercials say people have lost up to 12 pounds? That's not much to keep taking.

by Anonymousreply 60May 1, 2023 2:28 PM

R60, its use for weight loss is still off-label. It’s only approved for diabetes. They can’t yet talk up the weight loss in people who are significantly overweight.

by Anonymousreply 61May 1, 2023 2:32 PM

Do people need to take this drug for the rest of their lives, in order to keep the weight off?

by Anonymousreply 62May 1, 2023 3:09 PM

Maybe, R62. But it’s better than being fat.

by Anonymousreply 63May 1, 2023 3:56 PM

Expensive, though, r63. Few people would be able to afford to continue taking it after retiring.

by Anonymousreply 64May 1, 2023 11:15 PM

Why do you assume that it will be the same price, R63? And who says that people will still be on Ozempic, for that matter? There will be many alternatives soon. The market is ever changing.

by Anonymousreply 65May 2, 2023 12:02 AM

When will this be in pill form?

by Anonymousreply 66May 2, 2023 12:05 AM

There are competing medications coming in pill form, R66. So you can bet that Novo, the parent company, is working on their own pill formulation for Ozempic. These companies are all in a race and Novo won’t want to get left behind. That’s the beauty of free market capitalism.

by Anonymousreply 67May 2, 2023 1:02 AM

[quote]Do people need to take this drug for the rest of their lives, in order to keep the weight off?

Nobody know, but I read one doctor's statement that it was time we recognized obesity as a chronic condition and treated it as one (meaning, that once the weight was lost, it still needed to be treated to maintain). Since there is no evidence (other than that people who stop taking GLP-1 drugs gain back 60% of the weight they lost) they are using their best clinical judgment. They're saying that when you lose the weight, your body's baseline weight is essentially your high weight, where you started, and your metabolism wants to return it to that weight. So they're suggesting staying on a lower maintenance dose for at least two years after you've achieved the weight loss until you baseline weight is your new lower weight and you aren't fighting your metabolism to maintain the weight.

by Anonymousreply 68May 2, 2023 4:44 AM

As someone who has experienced weight swings for 55 years, it’s sad that I know four baseline weights that I can keep - 130, 158, 172, and 200 pounds.

Once I hit any of those weights, I can eat as little or as much as I want and work out like a nut all I want without losses or gains.

by Anonymousreply 69May 2, 2023 5:05 AM

Metformin (prescribed for diabetes) actually caused me to gain weight. It also built up in my system over two years and I ended up in the hospital with severe lactic acidosis. And throughout the time I took it, it never brought my blood sugar down. I've been on Invokana for a little while -and it did help drop my blood sugar -but it also has caused me to have multiple UTIs, and my penis is red and enflamed (not in a good way) to the point where I can't even jerk off. Just today my doctor told me to stop the Invokana...

Diabetes drugs are serious shit -you shouldn't mess with them unless you truly need them. And even then you have to be careful!

by Anonymousreply 70May 2, 2023 5:06 AM

I relate, R69.

I recently learned there's science behind it—it's called set point, and your body fights like hell to keep your weight there.

by Anonymousreply 71May 2, 2023 5:12 AM

There are way too many Ozempic threads and not one basic one like “Ozempic watch” or the like…keeping an eye on public figures who have clearly done Ozempic so I’m opting for this thread because I don’t wanna start another. Anyway I saw Deborah Norville last night introducing a story about Ozempic…meanwhile, I noticed her Ozempic face. I think once the writer strike ends and scripted series go back into production we’re going to see a lot of new Ozempic face. For now I have to be satisfied with catching a glimpse of it on news programs, talk shows, and reality series.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72May 26, 2023 12:33 PM

Damned if I find twelves years down the line it would have been perfectly ok for me to take it, hating my body all along the way! #YOLO

Off to the farmacia in Italy to see if I can get it here for much less. #keepyouposted.

by Anonymousreply 73May 26, 2023 12:43 PM

Big Oprah is suddenly not so husky.

by Anonymousreply 74May 26, 2023 12:44 PM

There’s a generic version being sold on the black market and Etsy of all places. This will not end well.

by Anonymousreply 75May 26, 2023 12:50 PM

[quote] Nobody know, but I read one doctor's statement that it was time we recognized obesity as a chronic condition and treated it as one

Yes, it’s a mental illness.

by Anonymousreply 76May 26, 2023 12:51 PM

R74 She has been seeking the magic bullet since her early childhood. As she ages, the struggle to keep the weight off should be more difficult, but she keeps dropping the pounds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77May 26, 2023 12:52 PM

[quote] keeping an eye on public figures who have clearly done Ozempic

Yes r74. I was in the process of noting how relatively slender Oprah suddenly is shown in the Senate stories

by Anonymousreply 78May 26, 2023 12:54 PM

I lose and gain weight very easily. I can stop snacking and noshing between meals for 4 months and lose 25 lbs. But then I get pleased with myself, snack again and gain it back. That being said, I need to stick a needle in myself every two weeks for a legitimate medical condition and the last thing I want to do is stick another in me.

I also don't give much of a shit. As a married man in his mid-50s who is in good health, my primary incentive to keep weight off would be to have better clothing options. I was in excellent shape between about ages 30 and 45 and what I loved was looking good in just about anything I tried on. But since Covid-19 just about everyone I know has let even casual dressing drop down a notch or two (or three) so the clothing incentive no longer resonates much with me.

I suspect that now that this is available to those who can get their hands on it, all bets are off on "body positivity," "accepting your body, "etc. Most everyone still wants to be skinny and if you grew up chubby, being skinny is a like a drug. When I was 50 pounds lighter it got me high on myself. Half of the fattie models and Queen Fattie Lizzo would love to get their hands on this. Beanelope Feldstein will be next. Such a long list of people—probably many Anti-Vaxxers—willing to poke themselves.

by Anonymousreply 79May 26, 2023 1:05 PM

I'm on it and I love it. I feel like a "normal person". No urges to binge on anything. Drinking, food, shopping. It's insane to think of how insane I actually am without it. Lost 16lbs in 7 weeks

by Anonymousreply 80May 26, 2023 1:11 PM

It’ll be great when it gets pulled and all the people who jumped on the bandwagon will swell up and the proactive people who had their shit under control (me most days) will be largely unaffected.

by Anonymousreply 81May 26, 2023 1:29 PM

Why is everyone wishing the worst for people? Can’t you just be happy for someone who is able to achieve something in their life they’ve been desperate for? People take pills for hard dicks and to regrow hair everyday and nobody bats an eyelash. Why all the hate? If diabetic people can get the medicine they need AND others can lose weight, what’s the big deal?

by Anonymousreply 82May 26, 2023 1:34 PM

They're working on a pill form apparently. I will try it when that happens.

by Anonymousreply 83May 26, 2023 1:45 PM

R82 Who is "wishing the worst for people?" DL is a cynical and jaded crew that has seen a lot and is simply stating what canand most likely—will go awry. No one is wasting their wishes on some public figure's love handles.

by Anonymousreply 84May 26, 2023 2:13 PM

R84, there are a lot of post that start with “I can’t wait….”so and so goes bad. That’s what I’m talking about.

by Anonymousreply 85May 26, 2023 2:39 PM

[QUOTE] Why is everyone wishing the worst for people? Can’t you just be happy for someone who is able to achieve something in their life they’ve been desperate for? People take pills for hard dicks and to regrow hair everyday and nobody bats an eyelash. Why all the hate? If diabetic people can get the medicine they need AND others can lose weight, what’s the big deal?

Misery loves company. They don’t have the balls to change their situation and want to drag everyone down into fat hell with them.

by Anonymousreply 86May 26, 2023 2:48 PM

America has a Puritanical streak. People who can say, "No, I'm stuffed" think they have some superpower and are superior to other people and in a way they are. They can't handle the fact that others can get this superpower without the "hard work" so they crabpot them down and only wish the worst for them

by Anonymousreply 87May 26, 2023 3:07 PM

r87 as someone who has struggled with his weight all my life, one of the joys of getting older is seeing all those “I’m stuffed” people all of a sudden put on weight they have no idea how it got there. I’ve been in the game since I was nine, so I am a well oiled dieting machine. Whereas they have no idea as to why their usual tricks aren’t working.

by Anonymousreply 88May 26, 2023 3:17 PM

Can it be good to drop 70 pounds in four months?

by Anonymousreply 89May 26, 2023 3:53 PM

Somehow I doubt it

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90May 26, 2023 4:39 PM

For a lot of reasons—many of them no fault of the person—obesity is a huge problem in our society. It costs us billions and billions of dollars. If we help people stay within a normal weight range, we’ll save a ton of money that could be spent on cancer research, etc.

People that say, “well, just stop eating,” don’t get it. The horse has already left the barn. We’ve been playing catch up for years. Phentermine is a 60+ year old drug. Other drugs work by removing fat from food when we eat it (that sounds fun, and fat isn’t the problem). Of course people will use it for losing a little bit of weight. But we need to use it for people who are obese, or who are having difficulty keeping at a nominal weight.

by Anonymousreply 91May 26, 2023 4:49 PM

This kind of reminds me of the miracle hormone replacement therapy of the 80s/90s when every menopausal woman was pumped up with hormones. And then they all got cancer.

I’ll stay plump.

by Anonymousreply 92May 26, 2023 5:15 PM

R92, Ozempic has been around for nearly 10 years. So far the issues are minimal. It’s only recently that it’s been used for weight loss.

By all means stay plump. It’s your choice for sure.

by Anonymousreply 93May 26, 2023 5:46 PM

Ozempic also reminds me of Wellbutrin that turned into Chantix to help people stop smoking.

by Anonymousreply 94May 26, 2023 7:02 PM

Chantix made me want to kill....other people! Not really that dramatic, but I did have very dark thoughts. So I stopped taking it as a smoking cessation aid.

Instead, I opted for a 3x bypass surgery! That got me to quit smoking, cold turkey, right quick!

Unfortunately, four years later, I started smoking again, and now trying patches and lozenges. I haven't outright quit, but I have definitely cut down. Also, I do have a bit of motivation (key factor).

by Anonymousreply 95May 26, 2023 7:12 PM

Ozempic made me quit smoking. Easiest time I ever quit

by Anonymousreply 96May 26, 2023 8:21 PM

sounds like Ozempic is the new(ish) wonder drug. Controls your A1C levels, helps in weight loss, helps in smoking cessation.

Assuming it's a lifelong medication.

by Anonymousreply 97May 26, 2023 8:26 PM

Does anyone have any comments on Mounjaro?

by Anonymousreply 98May 31, 2023 1:01 AM

[quote] And Wegovy is FDA-approved for weight loss.

The FDA has no liability. The FDA clears or approves devices or drugs based on limited studies, and with payment from the manufacturer. The studies basically prove a drug is not toxic in the short term.

Drugs and medical devices are commonly released and flood markets because they are new and said to be effective with fewer known side effects than drugs and devices that have been on the market.

The reality is that this process makes the products consumed widely, and with broad consumption come an increased number of side effects among more people. It's basically turned the public into laboratory animals.

Drug and device manufactuers are commonly sued in class-action cases after a product has been on the market for 5-10 years, and then the FDA recalls the product and looks heroic. Usually, the class action cases are settled and no one knows how harmful the product really was.

The FDA has been criticized a hell of a lot for a lot of failed oversight, most notoriously including the million Americans killed by narcotics over 20 years that FDA officials knew were killing people and chose to look the other way to benefit Purdue Pharma.

Scientific American has been very critical of the FDA for years and has tried to draw attention to the harm it causes to the public in service to drug companies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 31, 2023 1:31 AM

To rest on "it's FDA approved" is woefully naive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 31, 2023 1:31 AM

It's pretty incredible, really.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 31, 2023 1:32 AM

[quote]most notoriously including the million Americans killed by narcotics over 20 years that FDA officials knew were killing people and chose to look the other way to benefit Purdue Pharma.

Almost all of the opiate deaths are due to fentanyl that's bought illegally on the street or mixed with other illegal drugs. Nobody that's taking opiates as prescribed for legitimate reasons is "being killed."

by Anonymousreply 102May 31, 2023 1:38 AM

I am so confused by r102

by Anonymousreply 103May 31, 2023 4:54 AM

Well it’s approved in other countries with perhaps more stringent guidelines. That should mean something. Or doesn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 104May 31, 2023 4:55 AM

As a side note, speaking of illegal drugs, have you ever noticed how time legitimizes coke use to cokeheads? Time makes it seem like asprin. I am not sure if it's ten years, or seven or even five that clears a cokehead from seeming like a crackhead. It's definitely not three. But they will say stuff like "I did so much coke in the 80s!" Or a soccer mom looking women will blurt out "I did so much coke in college" or "my first job was so crazy I did so much coke!" They'll never say something like "Oh my god that party last week was insane, I did so much coke," unless they catch you with some. And even the admissions from ghosts of parties past seem to signal that if you've got some, I'm still down.

by Anonymousreply 105May 31, 2023 5:18 AM

To name a weight loss drug Wegovy for Japanese beef is cruel

by Anonymousreply 106May 31, 2023 5:30 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!