Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Life Tips to share with your friends at The DataLounge

I'll start:

- Flights are cheaper at the beginning of the week, especially Tuesdays. Book your flights 6 to 8 weeks in advance.

- Be kind and respectful to your handymen, and offer them a cup of coffee. Lots of customers treat them like the help, but positive relationships pay off when you need their services again.

- Most people fail at meditating because they set themselves unrealistic goals. Start with 5 minutes a day for a week, then add one minute every day. This gets you to 30 minutes daily within a month.

by Anonymousreply 391June 5, 2023 12:50 AM

Offering coffee worked for me once. My washing machine broke and needed a new part and the repair guys went to the warehouse, got the part and came back after hours to fix it on the same day, just because I offered them coffee and they said no other customer ever had.

by Anonymousreply 1April 27, 2023 8:39 AM

At an airport or hotel check-in, at an information desk, paying for things at a store, in any place where you present yourself for someone to help you (even and maybe especially if it is the very nature of their job), wait to make eye contact and acknowledge the person.

Before unloading your questions, or your groceries, or your reservation number, or whatever, make a split second of eye contact and say 'Good afternoon', 'Hello', 'May I? [ask you a question, put my things here, etc.]

The simple acting of waiting for someone to acknowledge you by making eye contact and a word or two to recognize them lays the ground for a pleasanter, more human interaction.

Years ago I experimented with this in stores that had the surliest of cashiers who clearly hated their jobs and their clients. It was startling how well it worked simply for them to look up and make a split second of eye contact, to no see a face that echoed their dark mood shoving things in their direction without a word changed the course of things from unpleasant to pleasant.

It's not asking that customers should have a sparkling personality, or to turn the world on with a smile, only that they wait their turn and invest in a split second of eye contact or a simple 'hello' before charging ahead. The simplest acknowledgment can give a harried and possibly disagreeable worker a sign that you are waiting for their cue and that you are inclined to be pleasant. It's not difficult, it's not lowering oneself, and it never gets a bad reaction.

by Anonymousreply 2April 27, 2023 9:38 AM

Always wear your most comfortable kaftan when accepting gentleman callers.

Never present hole to gentleman callers without first offering complimentary nibbles.

by Anonymousreply 3April 27, 2023 9:48 AM

Sage advice from my mother: never stay in a relationship with someone because you feel sorry for them.

by Anonymousreply 4April 27, 2023 10:06 AM

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Never force a fart.

by Anonymousreply 5April 27, 2023 10:39 AM

don't make love by the garden gate

cuz love is blind but the neighbors aint

by Anonymousreply 6April 27, 2023 10:43 AM

"Never present hole to gentleman callers without first offering complimentary nibbles."

The hole is the complimentary nibbles.

by Anonymousreply 7April 27, 2023 10:47 AM

Judge Judy's Secret to Longevity:

"Two words - DON'T FALL!"

by Anonymousreply 8April 27, 2023 11:09 AM

Let others wear horizontal stripes.

by Anonymousreply 9April 27, 2023 11:14 AM

Don't blast your business on social media. The people who actually give a damn about your life ought to be told in person or over the phone. No one else cares, they only want to be entertained or gossip. If you're ok with your life being fodder for those things, log off or seek help.

Instead of cultivating anger or nursing grudges, do those things with the people who have shown that have always had your back be they friends or family. Don't waste time you could be spending with them on people who haven't been there for you.

Take care of your body. It's the only one you're going to get and it has to last you.

by Anonymousreply 10April 27, 2023 11:17 AM

-Put sex at the bottom of the list. The more things you do because of sexual urges the less happy you will be. And when you are happy sex will be the icing on the cake.

-Always have a WTF friend. Mine are my sisters. If Elvis, Michael Jackson, and Judy had had WTF people one of them might still be alive.

- Stop fantasizing about celebrities. They are not the prize. You are.

- Being gay is not an excuse to hate children, have an open relationship, or spit on social norms. No one becomes anything if they are always a victim.

- Morning and Afternoon sex can be very refreshing, especially if you sneak away with someone you love.

-Love won't come to you because you want it, deserve it, or have worked for it. Love only comes when you love yourself, and therefore can really give love to others.

by Anonymousreply 11April 27, 2023 4:58 PM

Fat hips sink ships.

by Anonymousreply 12April 27, 2023 5:01 PM

R2, I needed that - I can jump in and then they are even less helpful. Thank you for your thoughtful advice....I'm taking it!!

And, to add to R1, be kind. You never know what someone is going through...make someone's day. When I wake up in the morning, I thank God for the gift of the day and I ask his help in guiding me to make positive impacts on other people's lives.

by Anonymousreply 13April 27, 2023 5:14 PM

[quote]Being gay is not an excuse to hate children

Of course not. Children provide all the excuse(s) we need.

by Anonymousreply 14April 27, 2023 5:38 PM

This one seems weird and petty but trust me:

Never lift a closed toilet lid without flushing first, unless it’s your bathroom and you closed that lid.

The amount of times over the years I’ve used/shared a bathroom (as a guest, in a shared hotel room, etc), lifted a closed lid, and found unflushed shit is ridiculous. Also, why the fuck are people - seemingly decent and normal people - shitting and then shutting the lid and leaving it? Shitting then showering and forgot? Either way, if you do this, please stop. It’s gross.

by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2023 5:49 PM

Drive defensively.

Don’t speed.

Don’t drink and drive.

by Anonymousreply 16April 27, 2023 5:52 PM

don't hold onto anger towards someone else because it harms you far more than it harms them.

by Anonymousreply 17April 27, 2023 5:54 PM

Never shovel snow into your neighbor's drive, even you just did it for a laugh

by Anonymousreply 18April 27, 2023 5:55 PM

I have no sympathy for this woman but if Emmet Till hadn't gone thru what he went thru there wouldn't have been a civil rights movement. Sadly because the human race is so inhumane some people go thru things for the greater good.

by Anonymousreply 19April 27, 2023 5:59 PM

[quote]The hole is the complimentary nibbles.

My hole brooks no compliments.

by Anonymousreply 20April 27, 2023 6:00 PM

R18: Jiiiimmmmaaaaayyyy!

by Anonymousreply 21April 27, 2023 6:00 PM

Live, laugh, love.

by Anonymousreply 22April 27, 2023 6:01 PM

Sand works well to extinguish a Grease Fire.

by Anonymousreply 23April 27, 2023 6:02 PM

Wear a hoop skirt, never a bustle.

Bustles are for trifling Yankee hussies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 27, 2023 6:09 PM

Forgive others.

Not for their sake, but for your own: Living with resentment eats away at you. Forgive, don’t forget, and move on.

by Anonymousreply 25April 27, 2023 6:16 PM

R25, easier said than done

by Anonymousreply 26April 27, 2023 6:22 PM

My asshole feels like the inside of one of those old car cigarette lighters.

by Anonymousreply 27April 27, 2023 6:31 PM

OP. if the handyman is cute and hunky, I offer more than a cup of coffee.

Sage advice from Judy: Don't pee on my leg and tell me it's raining.

by Anonymousreply 28April 27, 2023 6:38 PM

Wear sunscreen on your face (plus moisturizer, underneath). Find a sunscreen that you like and stick with it.

Treat your friends to coffee or lunch instead of splitting the bill. IME, they end up returning the favor and it's just a nicer way to socialize.

by Anonymousreply 29April 27, 2023 6:55 PM

Thank you all for this thread. It's sage advice and a few laughs, too.

My offering...

None too lofty, none too low...treat all with respect and dignity whether it's the CEO or the janitor.

Always be on time. It's simple courtesy. If you are going to be late, call ahead.

Handwritten thank you notes.

Be there for family and friends when it's needed.

Take care of yourself.

Move on...this one's hard for me.

by Anonymousreply 30April 27, 2023 7:09 PM

Never ever, for the love of fucking god, get life advice from the DL.

by Anonymousreply 31April 27, 2023 7:13 PM

R26 once I learnt I was really only forgiving people for my own benefit, it became surprisingly easy.

by Anonymousreply 32April 27, 2023 7:14 PM

Pay attention to portion sizes. You can get a foodscale for like $10. You would be surprised by how much you likely overeat.

by Anonymousreply 33April 27, 2023 7:14 PM

Always remember that you are the star of your movie and everyone else is a mere extra.

by Anonymousreply 34April 27, 2023 7:16 PM

All this urging of people to forgive other people is pretty easy. But if forgiveness itself were easy, life would be much simpler than it is for all of us.

You cannot forgive people because you've just decided to do it and that's that. I've never heard of anyone doing it on a whim when they were really aggrieved at someone. If you really are angry with something, forgiving them does take work and time.

by Anonymousreply 35April 27, 2023 7:17 PM

I don't forgive people, but I also don't seek revenge. I just distance myself from that person. I don't believe people really change that much, if at all. They will, given the chance, repeat what they did to you.

by Anonymousreply 36April 27, 2023 7:22 PM

[quote]Treat your friends to coffee or lunch instead of splitting the bill. IME, they end up returning the favor and it's just a nicer way to socialize.

I would say be very careful of this. It sounds nice, but it's way too easy to be taken advantage of by your friends who are deep-down 'opportunists'.

I certainly don't mind once in a while treating a friend, but I do mind all the time - especially when most of these people brag about how much money they earn at their job or business. I caught on quickly.

One of these friends was a woman named "Becky" whom I was friends with for only a few months. She would call me during the day, and suggest we meet for dinner after work. Every time we went out to eat she never had money to pay her half of the bill (and she'd pick the most expensive dinner and dessert). The bill would come, and she'd say "All I have is $5...my son borrowed all my money from me this morning and I have no cash. I owe ya..." She claimed she didn't believe in credit cards, so she never had one on her. Of course, she never paid me back. (Each time her portion was about $50).

After a few of these dinners one summer, she called and suggested we meet for dinner because she wanted to celebrate - she had received a big bonus check at work for making her sales goal the quarter before. I was hesitant to say yes at first, but somehow she mentioned she had gone to the bank earlier that day and cashed her bonus. Perfect ! She had cash on her.

We go to the expensive restaurant she chose, and we order - expensive appetizers, meals, drinks, desserts, etc. When the bill came, we both owed about $150. I pulled out my wallet, and took out a $5 bill. "All I have is $5", I told her. "I owe ya." She in turn had a wad of cash in her hands from going to the bank, so she couldn't pull that on me. Her jaw hit the floor and she was staring at me - dumbfounded. Before she said anything, I responded, "Actually, I don't owe you anything - now we're even for the past few times you only had $5." She shut her mouth and put the $300 down - and that was all her bonus money.

She never called me after that to go out for dinner. I couldn't be happier.

by Anonymousreply 37April 27, 2023 7:58 PM

wow!!!! what a story!

by Anonymousreply 38April 27, 2023 8:00 PM

Many good veterinarians aren't taking new clients. If you have a good vet, follow up with a written thank-you card — "Spot is feeling much better! Thank you" — maybe with a picture of the pet. Spot will go to the top of the clinic's VIP list, which can come in handy in case of an emergency.

Checking in to a hotel: Tell the clerk how excited you are to be back in their city and a little about what you plan to do. Then you can ask for a nice view, etc. You won't get upgraded to the presidential suite but you may get a better room. If that happens, be sure to get their name and tell them you'll follow up with corporate about how nice they were.

Along with the tip, leave a small note for the hotel housekeeper: "Thank you so much. Have a nice day." It takes 15 seconds and makes a difference. I've come back to find the housekeeper has drawn smiley faces, flowers, etc. as a "you're welcome" gesture.

by Anonymousreply 39April 27, 2023 8:17 PM

If you're staying multiple days at a hotel, tip the housekeeper daily (rather than leave a tip at the end).

by Anonymousreply 40April 27, 2023 8:25 PM

R37, I wouldn't have let that situation get as far as it got. The $5 trick would have registered with me right away. However, glad that you recouped your money in the end.

by Anonymousreply 41April 27, 2023 8:27 PM

Try not to be suffocatingly superior, even on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 42April 27, 2023 8:28 PM

Take your time for the little things like talking to friends and realize that a job is just a job. Bosses are adults. We expect our partner or family to understand when we had to stay longer at the office, but we don't expect our boss to understand why we were 10 minutes late? Most of us don't work in ER and it's time to change the culture.

Realize that every time you talk to a friend it might be the last. Our time is very limited here and we take many things for granted.

How you treat people matters. You might be the one who made their day.

And last, to OP and #2 I might add: Be nice to handymen, and not because it might be to your benefit but because they are fellow humans.

by Anonymousreply 43April 27, 2023 8:43 PM

[quote] Be nice to handymen, and not because it might be to your benefit but because they are fellow humans.

You don't say.

by Anonymousreply 44April 27, 2023 8:44 PM

Detail your asshole with Q-Tips

by Anonymousreply 45April 27, 2023 9:02 PM

An ounce of ketchup in your lady ham can be of service at the strangest hour.

by Anonymousreply 46April 27, 2023 9:07 PM

[quote] You don't say.

R44 It might be self-evident to you, but it isn't for everyone.

by Anonymousreply 47April 27, 2023 9:21 PM

Okay.....if you have to pick up sticks in your yard before you mow the grass - get one of those grabbers from the Lowe's. You don't have to do all that bending over that gives you backaches. I got the idea from watching the prisoners on the side of the road picking up trash.

Wear a day-glo shirt and your neighbors will think you're doing community service.

by Anonymousreply 48April 27, 2023 10:01 PM

Given the option, I should have chosen a full bottle in front of me rather than a full frontal lobotomy.

by Anonymousreply 49April 27, 2023 10:02 PM

R35 i forgive people and the reason is....because when people do you wrong , it is a life lesson for you, to never put yourself in that type situation again no matter what the offence. And just remember how pathetic the people are and how low and sad their life is. Learn and rise above them.

by Anonymousreply 50April 27, 2023 10:11 PM

When you leave a job, leave it with dignity and courtesy toward everyone, even the people who really FUCKED YOU OVER. No matter how hard it is, be professional and kind. And give two weeks' notice to wrap up your assigmments. Never, ever storm out.

by Anonymousreply 51April 27, 2023 11:20 PM

Oh fank you, HR hack @ R51!!!

Get real! Give them the notice they deserve. Decent companies get two weeks. Assholes get nothing. The same they would give you when they lay you off the week before Christmas.

by Anonymousreply 52April 27, 2023 11:34 PM

R15 Maybe they are shutting the toilet to avoid waking you with a flush. Instead they’re giving you nightmares.

by Anonymousreply 53April 27, 2023 11:40 PM

Know who are your friends and who are just acquaintances and always prioritise friends. Its not OK to miss a friends birthday because an acquaintance asked u to their party first. Loyalty is everything.

by Anonymousreply 54April 27, 2023 11:58 PM

R52, believe me, I despise the HR fuckers as much as anyone. My advice isn't dispensed to protect the employer, it's to protect you, when your next employer calls your last employer and says, "Tell me about Bob." Some former employers won't say much, but others might. Don't give anyone the power to blow your next job opportunity. Save yourself by behaving well. I know it's hard. But it's for YOU, not them.

by Anonymousreply 55April 28, 2023 12:00 AM

Never get involved in a gang bang.

by Anonymousreply 56April 28, 2023 12:05 AM

[quote] When you leave a job, leave it with dignity and courtesy toward everyone, even the people who really FUCKED YOU OVER. No matter how hard it is, be professional and kind.

I don't think you owe anybody kindness. I would be professional, but the fuck if I'm going to be kind towards someone I dislike for good reason.

by Anonymousreply 57April 28, 2023 12:18 AM

Sleep ass down NOT ass up!

by Anonymousreply 58April 28, 2023 12:33 AM

Love you Dutchie. Thanks for the tips.

by Anonymousreply 59April 28, 2023 12:47 AM

R57, WTF do you do for a living that you’re able to burn all your professional bridges, because I want to be in *your* field!

by Anonymousreply 60April 28, 2023 12:50 AM

R34 and we’ll all be a SAG member eventually

by Anonymousreply 61April 28, 2023 12:52 AM

R53, thank you for the best laugh of my week so far. 😂

by Anonymousreply 62April 28, 2023 12:59 AM

R59 💜

by Anonymousreply 63April 28, 2023 5:37 AM

Own being an introvert and don't force yourself to be social. Never fight with people online. It's much easier to block or ignore them. Limit your contact with hurtful people. Erase your social media to the greatest extent possible. When in doubt, take a nap.

by Anonymousreply 64April 28, 2023 5:58 AM

Floss

by Anonymousreply 65April 28, 2023 7:29 AM

Take care of your teeth and gums. Don’t be cheap in this area. Use an electric toothbrush and thoroughly clean your teeth at night.

by Anonymousreply 66April 28, 2023 7:38 AM

Yeah, get regular check ups. Nip problem in the bud. Prevention is better than cure

by Anonymousreply 67April 28, 2023 8:21 AM

Great advice, thank you!

R37 made me laugh, I thought it was going to end with her claiming the bank was shut. How was she after she'd paid? Cold? Normal?

by Anonymousreply 68April 28, 2023 8:31 AM

R15 maybe they also close it to trap spiders

by Anonymousreply 69April 28, 2023 8:38 AM

Yes, be fake-friendly to people waiting on YOU and they will serve YOU better and then YOU will have a pleasanter time. It's all about thinking of others!!

by Anonymousreply 70April 28, 2023 11:22 AM

R70, just because being nice pays dividends doesn't mean it's disingenuous. You can be nice to someone, mean it, and get a payback: enlightened self-interest.

by Anonymousreply 71April 28, 2023 2:39 PM

For those of us who rent cars but don't own, note that a little arrow next to the pump on your gas gauge points to the side of the car where the gas cap is located.

This revelation came to me from this site after years of pulling over on the way to the airport...and I was in my forties.

by Anonymousreply 72April 28, 2023 2:42 PM

Informational interviews if you are interested in a job you are not yet, but hope to be, qualified for or when there are no current vacancies.

by Anonymousreply 73April 28, 2023 2:46 PM

Not to worry, R72. I was in my mid-sixties when I learned that. And it was a millennial who pointed it out to me.

by Anonymousreply 74April 28, 2023 2:52 PM

R11, what is a “WTF friend”?

by Anonymousreply 75April 28, 2023 2:56 PM

There have been a few times in my life when circumstances fell together, and I saw my way out of a problem. Other than random good fortune, no one is coming to save you, stop expecting that.

by Anonymousreply 76April 28, 2023 3:00 PM

R71 A for rationalization.

by Anonymousreply 77April 28, 2023 3:26 PM

Don't force yourself to like something just because

Not a drinker? Don't get into the bar or club scene or try to find "great tasting" wine (been there)

Not a foodie? Eat healthy but don't worry about flavor or impressive dishes

Hate trying on or finding clothes? Don't worry about being fashionable, it's not your thing

by Anonymousreply 78April 28, 2023 4:13 PM

Even if you sign up for CVS delivery - you still have to request it every time you get a prescription text.....

by Anonymousreply 79April 28, 2023 4:16 PM

Adopted children are luckiest because they were chosen.

by Anonymousreply 80April 28, 2023 5:05 PM

Growing old ain’t for sissies!

by Anonymousreply 81April 28, 2023 5:07 PM

R45- After I take a crap - Every time I take a crap I wipe my ass then dip three q tips in Witch Hazel squat and rub the q tips up and down the crack of my ass thoroughly- prevents hemorrhoids and cleanses the ass at the same time.

by Anonymousreply 82April 28, 2023 5:12 PM

To R34...I agree with you!!

by Anonymousreply 83April 28, 2023 5:51 PM

R80 Tell me about it!

by Anonymousreply 84April 28, 2023 6:27 PM

This is me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85April 28, 2023 10:58 PM

Don't waste your youth and beauty binge drinking.

by Anonymousreply 86April 28, 2023 11:29 PM

get a spare house key made and if you can , install and keep it in one of those attach-to-the-wall code lockbox Main water turn off key for you house owners (I learned the hard way) Keep a can of Fix a flat in your car Don't answer the door unless you know who it is Put ICE info (in case of emergency) on your mobile phone home screen Make a fucking will- or the state will decide where your assets go (I have seen dead friends estates settled horribly wrong- all assets went to their asshole blood relative) adopt a pet

by Anonymousreply 87April 28, 2023 11:41 PM

If he only tells you "I love you" right before he cums don't believe it, he doesn't really mean it.

by Anonymousreply 88April 29, 2023 3:58 AM

If he only calls you when he's drunk, don't believe that, either. He's probably lonely and maudlin.

by Anonymousreply 89April 29, 2023 4:02 AM

Shave your asshole

by Anonymousreply 90April 29, 2023 7:33 PM

My legs are spread wide. From sea to shining sea.

by Anonymousreply 91April 30, 2023 1:30 AM

r87, here's a life tip for you:

*Learn how to format on DL properly

by Anonymousreply 92April 30, 2023 2:23 AM

R87 You offered great tips, but R92 is correct. Wish you had formatted your list.

by Anonymousreply 93April 30, 2023 2:25 AM

Yeah. Don't fucking post about Your Dear Paul every other goddamn minute.

by Anonymousreply 94April 30, 2023 3:11 AM

^^???

by Anonymousreply 95April 30, 2023 4:02 AM

Save some donuts. You never know when Doris Day's gonna come by and she loves a good powdered donut.

by Anonymousreply 96April 30, 2023 4:34 AM

R73, please explain

by Anonymousreply 97April 30, 2023 11:32 AM

R97, I’m not ElderLez, but she makes a great suggestion. More than half the battle of getting any job is in being a real person (rather than a resume) in front of someone with hiring authority. Qualifications are often brushed aside for the right candidate. An informational interview conveys your interest, introduces you, and builds interest from the hiring manager and company.

Getting jobs based on a merit competition is largely a myth. The government tries, which results in some of the worst hiring. People need a baseline of skills to succeed in the job, but it is hard to measure that. I’ve noticed that if I show a client a stack of resumes, they will almost always choose the candidates I know are the weakest.

by Anonymousreply 98April 30, 2023 11:42 AM

I've never heard of an informational interview before

by Anonymousreply 99April 30, 2023 1:13 PM

Checking out in stores, I look for name Sales Associate on the screen, Always say "Thank you" with their name. Easy in supermarkets, screen faces the customers to confirm prices.

by Anonymousreply 100April 30, 2023 1:43 PM

R45 how to blind people know if they got everything on the toilet paper?

by Anonymousreply 101April 30, 2023 1:45 PM

When I go away for more than a week, disconnect car battery.

by Anonymousreply 102April 30, 2023 1:48 PM

R100, as someone who worked in public facing jobs for years wearing a name tag, let me tell you that many employees hate being called by their name by customers. I did. You have to smile and pretend that you like it but for me it always came across as too familiar.

by Anonymousreply 103April 30, 2023 1:56 PM

R34, keep plugging. My card says "Since 1954." First job, member of team at summer camp on TV series.

by Anonymousreply 104April 30, 2023 1:57 PM

Learn to say NO and like it.

by Anonymousreply 105April 30, 2023 2:14 PM

Check your feet often. We're not doing what you think we're doing.

by Anonymousreply 106April 30, 2023 2:16 PM

R104 -- Camp Runnamuck?

by Anonymousreply 107April 30, 2023 2:22 PM

[quote] R100 as someone who worked in public facing jobs for years wearing a name tag, let me tell you that many employees hate being called by their name by customers.

I should think so, R103. Wearing a store name tag --or having his or her name display on the sales checkout screen-- isn't something I take as an invitation to one-sided familiarity. Nor is it something that I imagine is done at the employee's suggestion but rather his or her boss's -- whose name is most likely not put on display.

The customers who enjoy this one-sided familiarity, "Good afternoon, Bob." "No, I brought my own bag, Bob." Thanks, Bob, I would like a receipt" always trike me as real assholes.

by Anonymousreply 108April 30, 2023 2:35 PM

Yeah I guess I'd feel a bit condescending using someone's name if they didn't know mine. It's important to be polite and kind but not overdo it to the point it's insincere

by Anonymousreply 109April 30, 2023 3:06 PM

I once asked a checker-outer at Whole Foods if he minded people calling him by name, and he told me he hated it. "But since you asked," he continued, "it would be alright for you to use it. But tell me your name." And I did, and we said hello and goodbye. He wasn't there anymore after a while. His name was Eric. And he was the saddest looking Eric I've ever met. I hope he's alright.

by Anonymousreply 110April 30, 2023 3:25 PM

I do find people using my name deliberately to be super creepy when I don't have a relationship with them.

by Anonymousreply 111April 30, 2023 3:28 PM

To R110...Did you Fuck Eric or give him numerous blowjobs-swallow his babies? Did he fuck you or swallow ur nutt?

by Anonymousreply 112April 30, 2023 3:30 PM

R109 I just snap my fingers screeching "Garcon!"

by Anonymousreply 113April 30, 2023 3:58 PM

What in the world is ICE info?

by Anonymousreply 114April 30, 2023 4:05 PM

Premium economy is a waste of money. Fly coach and book exit row seats - it’s more comfortable. Or save up for a proper business class seat.

by Anonymousreply 115April 30, 2023 4:10 PM

Only the Goyim pay retail.

Why say "Yes" if you want to say "No?"

Never shop on the first day of the month.

If common sense is so common, how come we so so little of it?

by Anonymousreply 116April 30, 2023 4:42 PM

R101 Smelling their hand?

Carefully, one hopes.

by Anonymousreply 117April 30, 2023 4:43 PM

(92) and (93) sorry guys, I am pretty new here. I promise to do better.

by Anonymousreply 118April 30, 2023 5:26 PM

(114) ICE info (in case of emergency)

by Anonymousreply 119April 30, 2023 5:27 PM

Hello R119

You can “tag” someone by typing the letter R followed by their reply number. No space between letter and digits.

Like how I just tagged you, R119.

As for formatting: DataLounge sucks. Use TWO white rules (enter, enter) to create a new paragraph, or to list things underneath each other.

This

And

So

On

by Anonymousreply 120April 30, 2023 5:35 PM

R120 THANK YOU

I had to google what WW and FF stood for ( I must have missed it under settings)

I really appreciate the tutorial.

Cheers

by Anonymousreply 121April 30, 2023 5:39 PM

Here’s a link. I’d add that great things to ask are what are the skills that may not be obvious job requirements, but are needed to be succeed what do I need to study/do/learn/experience to enter this field.

The great thing about the latter is it gives you the ability to follow up in increments of time with a thank you and news that you attended a meeting, got certified in something, took a pay cut to get experience in X and boy are you grateful because….

I’d add that the ability to ask politely for things you need and receive assistance gracefully and gratefully in general is an important life skill many people struggle with, but like the linked article says most people get satisfaction from helping others.

R113 you made me laugh. We have a dear friend who does just exactly that and we always leave a larger tip when we go out with her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 30, 2023 5:41 PM

r112, no, PhillyWhore, there was no penis-to-mouth, or penis-to-anus action with Eric. I would have, though I'm not sure I'd have been able to take the post-sex conversation. He looked that sad.

And then he disappeared.

by Anonymousreply 123April 30, 2023 8:19 PM

When I need your advice, I'll ask for it!

by Anonymousreply 124April 30, 2023 8:25 PM

You shook my tits and you rattled my cunt!

by Anonymousreply 125April 30, 2023 8:42 PM

Before you head out for a night of fun, always powder your Pretties.

by Anonymousreply 126April 30, 2023 10:41 PM

Be kind to your knees . You'll miss them when they're gone.

by Anonymousreply 127May 1, 2023 2:25 AM

Parts of your body you take for granted will occupy 80 percent of your attention.

by Anonymousreply 128May 1, 2023 3:27 AM

Never book hotels on 3rd party websites. If you see a good rate on one, call the hotel and see if they’ll match it. Chances are they will so that they get all the money. You’re also more apt to get a complimentary upgrade. And if anything goes wrong, the hotel can discount your rate. They won’t with 3rd parties and you’ll have to jump through hoops to get a refund.

Front desk agents have very, very stressful jobs and are empowered to dole out extra amenities at their discretion. They won’t for 3rd parties. Show brand loyalty and be kind at check in.

by Anonymousreply 129May 1, 2023 3:48 AM

That’s a great tip, R129

by Anonymousreply 130May 1, 2023 8:03 AM

R129, what do you mean by "3rd party websites"? Orbitz? How do these companies like Orbitz even get ahold of airplane seats and hotel rooms? Must be the airline / hotel selling blocks of seats / rooms in the first place (at a discount).

by Anonymousreply 131May 1, 2023 7:08 PM

R131, I'm not R129, but think Trivago, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, and, yes, Orbitz.

R129 is absolutely correct. We do this all the time.

by Anonymousreply 132May 1, 2023 7:58 PM

There is always an inherent risk booking airline tickets, hotel rooms, cruises etc. through Online Travel Agents (OTA). You basically have no protection if your travel plans go askew. Always book via the company websites even if it means you're spending a few more dollars. At least you have some type of protection by doing so.

by Anonymousreply 133May 1, 2023 8:01 PM

Yes, I learned the hard way when I had to change a car rental, it was a nightmare getting my reservation changed and I couldn’t get a refund.

by Anonymousreply 134May 1, 2023 8:42 PM

Agoda has NEVER let me down and I’ve booked many times. Once I even had a complaint and someone got back to me with a resolution. My last trip I found a good rate on Expedia which was 1/2 the price of booking directly. The one booking I did with British Airways turned out to be a disaster. It’s a crapshoot.

by Anonymousreply 135May 1, 2023 9:13 PM

Felaccio-

You have to lick the penis like an ice cream cone.

by Anonymousreply 136May 1, 2023 9:25 PM

Yeah, I had a brain fart and booked the wrong flight (wrong time of departure) via Orbitz. They were able to help me change my flight, no extra charge.

by Anonymousreply 137May 1, 2023 9:56 PM

R131, the hotel has a contract to these 3rd party sites to sell the rooms.

It’s a nightmare when reservations “forgets” to close them when the hotel reaches capacity. Whoops, that last minute hotel you booked is oversold. And we cannot walk a 3rd party to another hotel by contract, so ultimately we have to bump a guest paying rack rate who booked through the hotel for these ignorant people, and that hurts to do.

You’re paying the 3rd part sites, NOT the hotel. If you pay $100 on hotels.com or likewise, the hotel gets maybe $79. Plus the front desk usually has to input these reservations themselves, and it’s a real pain in the ass when you have a line 10 deep of people. Thus the front desk agents…well, they don’t like you and consider you cheap. So don’t ask for the best room, you’re gonna get a view of the HVAC units.

It’s common knowledge that these people who book 3rd parties also happen to be the nastiest, worst guests who complain about everything, and then complain more when we can’t do any rate discount for them. Most likely the people who book these 3rd parties are inexperienced travelers, thus the most entitled. It’s so hard to explain to an enraged guest, and saying “no” in our line in verboten. The situation frequently escalates to an unhappy denouement.

Also, you pay up front for these reservations. If you have to cancel, you have to call the 3rd party, which then calls the hotel to get the story, and both the hotel and 3rd party have to come to an agreement for the refund. Everyone gets irritated.

In general, NEVER pay in advance for a hotel room. EVER.

I’m a concierge now so thank God I don’t have to deal with what the front desk has to put up with. Hotel work is more than frequently rewarding. I have met some of the most incredible guests from around the world that I treasure meeting. But also the meanest people I have also met. I choose to remember the good ones.

I’ve worked in almost every department of the hotel in my 30 year career. I really should write a book.

by Anonymousreply 138May 2, 2023 10:34 AM

R138 that was very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 139May 2, 2023 2:28 PM

Yep I always book direct.

by Anonymousreply 140May 2, 2023 5:30 PM

Muriel is not one of your fans!

by Anonymousreply 141May 3, 2023 1:00 AM

Always look for a higher paying job.

What worked before 2010 or so doesn't work now. Working for local/small companies is usually a waste of time long-term.

Waiting for promotions and long tenures is not as good as moving around every few years.

Wall Street Journal and other sources proved it. I wish I had worked harder at interviewing and seeking better roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142May 3, 2023 2:16 AM

It's so stressful looking for new jobs though. And it feels unstable, which I guess is the point

by Anonymousreply 143May 3, 2023 3:00 AM

R100 Name tags. That's one of the reasons I enjoyed "Superstore" -- the manager wore different name tags every day.

by Anonymousreply 144May 3, 2023 3:34 AM

Never buy a house with anyone you're not legally married to.

Never end a sentence with a preposition.

by Anonymousreply 145May 4, 2023 4:54 PM

Men: if you have to get up in the middle of the night to piss, sit down when you do. Then you don't have to turn on the light.

And to all: if you have to get up in the night to let the dog out, close the window, etc. rinse with mouthwash before you get back into bed.

by Anonymousreply 146May 6, 2023 2:09 PM

Thank you r146.

by Anonymousreply 147May 6, 2023 7:35 PM

Living Environment: You will go through a “This Vertical Surface Needs A Hook” phase.

Start with the peel&stick variety before screwing into anything; you can determine spacing, height, and strength needed for permanent hooks.

by Anonymousreply 148May 6, 2023 7:43 PM

If you don’t have something nice to say about someone, say it on DL.

by Anonymousreply 149May 6, 2023 7:44 PM

R149 that isn’t advice that is observation of reality.

by Anonymousreply 150May 6, 2023 7:46 PM

A quick way to deal with wrinkled clothes is to toss them into the clothes dryer with a damp hand towel. Turn on the dryer for about 10 minutes and the garment should look a lot better than before! It’s not the same as ironing but it helps. Not all fabrics work with this method.

by Anonymousreply 151May 6, 2023 7:51 PM

Never douche with Lysol

by Anonymousreply 152May 6, 2023 7:55 PM

When picking up clothing from the cleaners, sniff them on the premises. Advertising an “on-site plant” is no guarantee they use fresh solution.

by Anonymousreply 153May 6, 2023 8:01 PM

Interesting list. I'll try to share my tips here. Practical ones:

- For jobseekers - almost every company now uses some sort of automated process to take in resumes/applications. Your resume is likely to go through an automated review (if not a few) before it would ever be seen by human eyes. That automated system is looking for something that is deceptively basic yet most people don't realize it - it looks for as many keywords as possible to match the job posting. So without copying the actual posting, be sure to pepper your resume with many of the same terms.

- I think someone else said it too, but another way to get your resume saved from a pile of irrelevance is to know someone inside, so they can say "Hey, take a look at XYZ's resume." This is the only real purpose of friending people on LinkedIn, but if you don't have that connection, to establish a contact in a company. Anyone you might know inside would do, though.

- Be incredibly suspicious of any mail or text message that wants you to click on a link. Lots of email and texting scams going around.

- As with so many other thefts, mail theft is up significantly. (I know, Debbie Downer....but it is.) If you have to send a check/cashier's check or money order for something, don't put it in your mailbox with a flag up for the mailman or even in your outgoing mail slot....take it to the post office, walk it INSIDE and drop it in the slot in the wall.

- Too many people are careless about where they put trash and/or unwanted mail, and I know two people who were victims of identity theft as a result. Shred any business documents, credit card offers, or anything that might have any sort of personal info on it. Keep a Sharpie marker around (I have a "king size" one) to use to cross off my name/address from shipping boxes, so the random person digging through your trash can't get it.

- To add to the person at top of thread that suggested offering coffee, etc. to any contractor/helper/etc. - it doesn't have to be a buffet lunch or anything, lol. Just extend basic human decency. I usually make sure any time a contractor is going to be around for more than 10-15 minutes that I (a) tell them they can use the restroom if needed and (b) set cold water bottles on my counter and tell them to help themselves. Bathroom access is an issue for many of these people, especially when it's a woman (who might be fearful of even taking a quick pee in a straight man's house). Not everyone would feel comfortable about that, I get it - I have a guest half bath so I do. (I mean, obviously, offer the hot ones a blowie or a handy....LOL)

by Anonymousreply 154May 6, 2023 8:03 PM

Have the hiccups? A spoonful or two of pineapple juice will get rid of them.

by Anonymousreply 155May 6, 2023 8:06 PM

Wellness tips......

- Advocate for your own health. Don't take a doctor's word as gospel. Get a notebook, or small binder, or do it all on your desktop in a folder if you're on MyChart, but keep notes and be involved. If you're feeling bad or in pain and your doctor isn't responding, advocate for yourself, ask for a second opinion.

- Almost everyone can benefit from good therapy. It isn't a magic wand that makes you skip through a field of flowers in constant happiness and ecstasy, but it can help you sort through and overcome trauma, develop healthy responses, establish and reinforce boundaries, and in general, allow you to avoid a tailspin every time something or someone tries to run you off the road, metaphorically speaking.

- Water the flowers that grow. Don't waste time on old dead plants just because they've been in your "garden" forever. Let go with love, or with respect, or even with a neutral wave goodbye....but let go.

by Anonymousreply 156May 6, 2023 8:11 PM

I meant to say, as if it isn't obvious, the "garden" = people in your life.

by Anonymousreply 157May 6, 2023 8:12 PM

[quote]Never end a sentence with a preposition.

Most style guides say it's OK to, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 158May 6, 2023 8:15 PM

[quote] another way to get your resume saved from a pile of irrelevance is to know someone inside, so they can say "Hey, take a look at XYZ's resume."

You don't say.

by Anonymousreply 159May 6, 2023 8:40 PM

Yeah, I think ending a sentence with a preposition can be OK. Sometimes, the alternative is more awkward.

But I do agree that you shouldn't buy real property together if you're not married.

by Anonymousreply 160May 6, 2023 8:41 PM

was just reading that the FBI is warning of a current and popular scam going around is fake QR codes. ask for physical menus. you could be downloading malware, virus that steals all your info and contacts, payment info etc.

by Anonymousreply 161May 6, 2023 8:42 PM

[quote]- For jobseekers - almost every company now uses some sort of automated process to take in resumes/applications. Your resume is likely to go through an automated review (if not a few) before it would ever be seen by human eyes. That automated system is looking for something that is deceptively basic yet most people don't realize it - it looks for as many keywords as possible to match the job posting. So without copying the actual posting, be sure to pepper your resume with many of the same terms

R154 I've always wondered if this would work: on your resume enter a bunch of the job description keywords and then change the font color of those words to white (essentially, making them "invisible"). Would the automated scanners "see" those words or spit out your resume as a bunch of bullshit?

Also, did not read your entire post....too long.

by Anonymousreply 162May 6, 2023 8:45 PM

R162, i've seen people do that. When I worked for the University of California, people would submit their résumé in word or a PDF, but the application system converted them to a text file and removed all the formatting (which actually made it difficult as fuck to read sometimes.). But when they do that, at the bottom of the text résumé you can see all of those words.

I wouldn't do it.

by Anonymousreply 163May 6, 2023 8:51 PM

R68 After she put the money in the check-holder for the server, I started talking about something else entirely to change the focus from paying the bill. IIRC, I was asking her about her kids (lazy ass adult kids who I had no interest in). When we walked out of the restaurant and to our cars, I was still making chit chat with her about nothing of importance, and she was answering, but you could tell she was still in a stupor from me blindsiding her like that. After that, I didn't hear from her for a few months - when I usually heard from her each week. We kind of kept in touch with each other, but never met for dinner again. Now we're just FB friends, though she's not too active on there.

Bottom line: I knew I had to nip that ASAP, and the way it happened couldn't have been better. I have no time for opportunists in my life (or budget).

by Anonymousreply 164May 6, 2023 8:57 PM

Love it R164 thanks for answering.

Lots of sound advice on this thread, thanks for taking the time to share

by Anonymousreply 165May 6, 2023 9:09 PM

The child may spoil even if you don't spare the rod.

In a few days, anyway.

by Anonymousreply 166May 6, 2023 9:13 PM

A teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of lukewarm water helps against acid reflux.

by Anonymousreply 167May 6, 2023 9:21 PM

if you scream the word "human" over and over at automated telephone systems that will usually fast track you to getting a real person on the line. sometimes even if the thing says "i'm sorry, i didn't understand", keep saying it and it'll work after a handful of times.

by Anonymousreply 168May 6, 2023 9:22 PM

R168, LOL, i've never heard that before, I will try that the next time lol

by Anonymousreply 169May 6, 2023 9:24 PM

As a victim of check washing I’ve learned that you should write checks with ink that bleeds through the paper.

by Anonymousreply 170May 6, 2023 9:35 PM

Instead of dry cleaning, try this.

Put your jacket or whatever into a clothes dryer. Set it on fluff (or no heat), let it rotate in the dryer for a few minutes. Take it out and voila, a bunch of the lint is gone. I'm not sure if it's considered centrifugal force (dryers are sideways), but I think the dryer shakes off a lot of the dirt.

I got the idea from that product that came out 25 years ago - the cloth (Dryel) that you put in the dryer with your dirty clothes to get it "clean." I figured: what the hell is that cloth doing? It's the dryer that's actually shaking things loose.

by Anonymousreply 171May 6, 2023 9:38 PM

R168, I've tried that only to have the automated system tell me they couldn't understand what I was saying, goodbye, and hang up on me.

by Anonymousreply 172May 6, 2023 9:48 PM

The "hidden keywords in white text" used to work when/if you were sending a Word doc. You could write them in the header and hide them. But many resume intake systems now require a PDF.

by Anonymousreply 173May 6, 2023 9:48 PM

R172 Some systems simply won't let anyone pass by the prompts. Usually a request for help or a manager, or a live person, will do the trick.

by Anonymousreply 174May 6, 2023 9:50 PM

[quote] if you scream the word "human" over and over at automated telephone systems that will usually fast track you to getting a real person

If this does, indeed, work, I doubt you have to "scream."

by Anonymousreply 175May 6, 2023 10:25 PM

The "big" side of the electrical plug is always on the right.

by Anonymousreply 176May 7, 2023 12:08 AM

Usually the big side of the sexual plug sleeps in the bed on the right, too. If I'm the biggest with the guy I'm sleeping with, I'm on the right. If he's the biggest - he's on the right.

Funny how that works out that way !

by Anonymousreply 177May 7, 2023 12:10 AM

What's the big side of a plug?

by Anonymousreply 178May 7, 2023 12:22 AM

The big side is where the lube goes, Rose!

by Anonymousreply 179May 7, 2023 12:25 AM

Of course DLers still write checks.

by Anonymousreply 180May 7, 2023 12:29 AM

R184, I've tried them all. Person, Agent, Assistance, Manager. Hardly any systems seem to work that way anymore. And the automated responses can be soooo dumb. When they ask you "in a few words, tell me what you're calling about" I'll say "a problem with my account" and they'll say "great! You'd like to hear your account details. Your current balance is..." 🙄

It can be a real chore to get a person on the line. Someone will even have no agents and will flat out tell you that and then say they can either text you a link to chat with a robot or give you an email address to contact.

If it's a bank, I'll just say "fraud" no matter what the problem is. THAT will get you to a person immediately. And usually they'll be kind enough to direct you to someone.

by Anonymousreply 181May 7, 2023 1:06 AM

“Fraud”. Love that R181. I’m going to use it. Fuck these greedy multi million dollar businesses and their bullshit games with their automated systems.

by Anonymousreply 182May 7, 2023 1:26 AM

When it's time to put your parent(s) in a home, get it done as soon as you can, but not before you make sure you get everything in the Will.

by Anonymousreply 183May 7, 2023 1:59 AM

[quote]When it's time to put your parent(s) in a home, get it done as soon as you can, but not before you make sure you get everything in the Will.

Who is Will and what's in him?

by Anonymousreply 184May 7, 2023 2:07 AM

Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

by Anonymousreply 185May 7, 2023 2:16 AM

[quote]Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free?

Because then you get the milk and a few years down the line you can sell the cow for four times what you paid and shrug and say "Inflation"?

by Anonymousreply 186May 7, 2023 2:39 AM

R175 Sorry I forgot autistic people post here. I was being completely facetious when I used the word "scream".

by Anonymousreply 187May 7, 2023 3:47 AM

Talk about money with aging parents in very specific terms. Where are their income sources, bank accounts, investments, assets, insurance. Get power of attorney. Ideally, you should be able to access their email and unlock their phones.

Do it while everyone is independent and healthy. Trust me, you do not want to have to figure this out when someone is in the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 188May 7, 2023 3:57 AM

[quote]Have the hiccups? A spoonful or two of pineapple juice will get rid of them.

That and a paintbrush worked for me!

by Anonymousreply 189May 7, 2023 7:41 AM

R181 It's why I often prefer to escalate.

Call me Karen but writing a letter or email gets me results.

The Elliot Advocacy website has emails for a number of companies. I use that site a lot.

by Anonymousreply 190May 7, 2023 7:06 PM

WASH IT

by Anonymousreply 191May 7, 2023 7:41 PM

checks? mail?

how the fuck old are you people?

by Anonymousreply 192May 7, 2023 7:42 PM

r192 you must be new here. Many DLers have never left the 80s.

I'm in my forties and DL is the only place where I feel like a young person.

by Anonymousreply 193May 7, 2023 7:55 PM

And you are, whipper snapper, you are.

by Anonymousreply 194May 7, 2023 8:14 PM

R192 a few things still require payment by check.

You'd know if you owned anything more valuable than whatever dreary little ensemble you five finger liberated from Uniqlo.

by Anonymousreply 195May 7, 2023 9:16 PM

for example?

by Anonymousreply 196May 7, 2023 9:17 PM

You suck

by Anonymousreply 197May 7, 2023 9:27 PM

you have to take your teeth out to suck.

by Anonymousreply 198May 7, 2023 9:30 PM

r192, show some respect, toots!

by Anonymousreply 199May 7, 2023 9:38 PM

Life Tip: Do not befriend R192. It has no respect, and from its agest and snarky tone, can’t wait till its parents croak, for its inheritance.

by Anonymousreply 200May 7, 2023 9:54 PM

R196

My landscaper (in his 30s) only takes checks. No cash, no Venmo - it's easier for him to do bookeeping.

My home oil company only takes checks. No cash, no Venmo, no Credit Cards.

My city collector takes checks or Credit Cards for quarterly payment property taxes. If you do pay by CC you have to do it online via a third party vendor and pay the most ridiculous 'convenience fees' to pay by CC. (Last time I checked was 8.5 % of your quarterly payment). It's the same deal and same vendor if you wish to pay your city water bill or city sewer bill.

These are just a few reasons why I opt to pay with checks.

by Anonymousreply 201May 7, 2023 10:14 PM

If your dog posts on Instagram on a regular basis, please remind him to spell correctly. It's "friends," not "frens." And what the fuck is "chimken"?

by Anonymousreply 202May 7, 2023 10:17 PM

Spit at the sky and it falls in your eye.

by Anonymousreply 203May 7, 2023 10:19 PM

[quote]a few things still require payment by check.

[quote]You'd know if you owned anything more valuable than whatever dreary little ensemble you five finger liberated from Uniqlo.

I'm an attorney in my forties who lives in an upper income area in a blue state and I never need to use a check for anything.

by Anonymousreply 204May 7, 2023 10:23 PM

R204 I'm sure you have a number of clients who pay you by check.

by Anonymousreply 205May 7, 2023 10:31 PM

r205 I'm a corporate attorney.

by Anonymousreply 206May 7, 2023 10:32 PM

So your clients pay by business checks, I would assume.

by Anonymousreply 207May 7, 2023 10:47 PM

You DO NOT fuck with DL's eldergays when it comes to writing checks, paying in cash, dressing formally on airplanes, women who don't wear "foundation garments" and shitty tv shows from the 70s and 80s (that they still watch daily).

by Anonymousreply 208May 7, 2023 10:47 PM

[quote]So your clients pay by business checks, I would assume.

I'm afraid you're not familiar with what a corporate attorney is. Think Succession.

by Anonymousreply 209May 7, 2023 10:49 PM

Being a corporate attorney seems like a big waste of time.

by Anonymousreply 210May 7, 2023 10:52 PM

R209 = “Successions”, Gerri Kellman. Makes sense as I’ve never seen Gerri write a check. Hmmmm.

by Anonymousreply 211May 7, 2023 11:16 PM

Well it least took almost 200 posts for this thread to dissolve into a petty argument about something unimportant.

by Anonymousreply 212May 7, 2023 11:41 PM

Copay for a Dr. Her office doesn't handle money and she doesn't accept credit cards. Gotta mail a check for twenty bucks.

Tip: Does everyone know that all major drug store chains sell books of stamps? You have to ask. They keep them in the register under the cash.

by Anonymousreply 213May 7, 2023 11:58 PM

If you go to Disneyworld, never buy things in the park as gifts. There are two outlets near the parks that sell items at large discounts, some that are still sold in the park at full price.

by Anonymousreply 214May 8, 2023 12:18 AM

It is my fervent hope to be in line in front of R192 so I can pull out my checkbook and write a check reaaaaaalllllll sllllloooooowwwwwwwww.

by Anonymousreply 215May 8, 2023 12:53 AM

r215 join the 21st Century

by Anonymousreply 216May 8, 2023 12:58 AM

R216 I have. I do online bill pay, Venmo, Apple Pay etc. for most things. But like others have said, some vendors don't want anything but a check. Not *my* fault they have shitty bookkeeping.

by Anonymousreply 217May 8, 2023 1:00 AM

For the last year's I lived in the U.S., the only checks I wrote were as deposits on house purchase contracts. And none in the five years since where no one uses checks for anything.

It's much easier to transfer money between banks accounts, or for small sums to use simple electronic payment systems via phone apps.

by Anonymousreply 218May 8, 2023 1:03 AM

[quote]It's much easier to transfer money between banks accounts, or for small sums to use simple electronic payment systems via phone apps.

But on DL it's forever 1987. Checks and cash only, please.

by Anonymousreply 219May 8, 2023 1:04 AM

Want to complain about checks and/or those who use them?

START A FUCKING THREAD OF YOUR OWN THEN, YOU FAT WHORE!

by Anonymousreply 220May 8, 2023 1:09 AM

Do not use bleach to clean blood.

Instead, use a peroxide, like hydrogen peroxide or, if you can get it, sodium peroxide. Peroxides break down blood, making it impossible to extract DNA. A squirt of hydrogen peroxide on blood-stained clothing removes the blood.

by Anonymousreply 221May 8, 2023 1:09 AM

R221 was, of course....

by Anonymousreply 222May 8, 2023 1:11 AM

[quote]But on DL it's forever 1987. Checks and cash only, please.

And if I might add, travellers' cheques. The convenience factor, obviously, but also the fact that they are accepted --welcomed, even-- everywhere makes them indispensable!

by Anonymousreply 223May 8, 2023 1:39 AM

Many businesses do not want to accept credit cards and have the merchant % fee taken out of the sale. This is why they prefer cash or checks.

As a former merchant who took CCs I will tell you that every time I accepted a CC from a customer of which the customer earned a 'reward' or 'cash back' on their purchase - the merchant was giving you the cash back. So if you used a card which gave you 3% back on your purchase in my store, that 3% was taken out of my sale to you along with other credit card fees. It really hurts the small businesses.

by Anonymousreply 224May 8, 2023 3:14 AM

[quote]Many businesses do not want to accept credit cards and have the merchant % fee taken out of the sale. This is why they prefer cash or checks.

How are things in 1987?

Any merchant who doesn't accept CCs in 2023 is seriously hurting their business. Nobody under a certain age uses cash or checks. Hell, my geriatric parents and aunts and uncles all use cards to pay for things.

by Anonymousreply 225May 8, 2023 3:29 AM

i still write checks. for con edison bills.

by Anonymousreply 226May 8, 2023 3:34 AM

I know in some stores, if you use credit cards, there is extra fee.

by Anonymousreply 227May 8, 2023 3:37 AM

I always use cash if possible. Of course certain places like arenas and stadiums don't accept cash, when you go to a basketball game or concert at MSG. I use credit card.

I always tip in cash.

by Anonymousreply 228May 8, 2023 3:40 AM

I use a check to pay for a cup of coffee. Everyone knows me.

by Anonymousreply 229May 8, 2023 6:14 AM

Don't show prospective paramours your Barbie collection.

by Anonymousreply 230May 8, 2023 6:59 AM

I agree with r228. I work in a job that gives me gratuities and cash is king.

Even when I pay a restaurant bill, I try to use cash. Otherwise what they make is taxable and everyone’s business.

by Anonymousreply 231May 8, 2023 7:40 AM

I mean I leave tips in cash at restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 232May 8, 2023 7:41 AM

[quote]Many businesses do not want to accept credit cards and have the merchant % fee taken out of the sale. This is why they prefer cash or checks.

Credit card merchant fees are a cost of doing business and written into pricing. To not do so is to turn away business or to announce that your cash only preference is a cover for underreporting income. It's not as though 5% or 25% of customers want to fuck it up for the majority, anyone with a credit card who can pay his bills prefers the convenience of not having to carry large sums of cash and go replenish them with trips to a bank or cash machine.

[quote]I always use cash if possible. Of course certain places like arenas and stadiums don't accept cash, when you go to a basketball game or concert at MSG. I use credit card.

[quote]I always tip in cash.

Why the burning desire to use cash? I understand tipping in cash, and for very small purchases, but otherwise it's a just a fucking nuisance -- having to carry cash as a customer and the issues of a merchant having to handle cash (bank deposits, where to keep cash on site, maintaining the right reserves of cash to provide change, that stupid "if you have two dimes and three pennies that makes it easier for me to give you change.". That's not easier at all, it's a nuisance for all involved.

Do you give your grandchildren a crisp birthday George Washington or a crisp Abe Lincoln in those gift envelopes?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233May 8, 2023 8:08 AM

R233 the good Aunts and Uncles give Benjamins.

One of the most important things to remember in life is that people are different; different ages, different life experiences, different likes and dislikes, etc. and that’s fine. It isn’t an attack on you. It isn’t a threat. There isn’t one single right way of existing.

by Anonymousreply 234May 8, 2023 11:48 AM

I usually ask at every small business, "hey, what works better for you - cash or card?"

98 percent of them say cash. It's not about "underreporting" - what nonsense. It's about the fees. To have a POS system you have to pay a percentage (usually 3 percent) to the cards themselves (Visa, MC, etc.) AND on top of that pay a monthly fee to the company that runs the POS system.

Square is in some ways simpler and the cost is somewhat lower but it's not zero.

I learned years ago after reading a series of articles by Connie Schultz to always, always ask who gets the tips at a place if possible. We all complain mournfully about tip jars at places where you don't think one is deserved or needed but often those tips are taken by the managers and kept by them - never assume. I mean sometimes asking about it is just not possible (I'm busy, they're busy, etc.) but I try when it is, especially when I am visiting a place more than once.

I can see why small business vendors want a check, though. It would be helpful in documentation. We pay our pool service guy 4x a year with a check. (I'd also love to tip him by deep throating him, but that's a different kind of Life Tip for another thread.)

by Anonymousreply 235May 8, 2023 3:21 PM

[quote]Credit card merchant fees are a cost of doing business and written into pricing.

Wake up, buttercup. This is not true for small mom-n-pop businesses or those businesses working on a very tight margin (home heating oil companies, gas stations, car washes, small cafes, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 236May 8, 2023 4:08 PM

I haven't written a check in months. For a while I'd write one for my rent but that stopped when I realized they were taking up to two weeks to cash them so now I give them a money order.

by Anonymousreply 237May 8, 2023 4:39 PM

If I don’t like the service I use my AMEX card. Otherwise it’s MC/VISA. I have not had cash on me in decades.

by Anonymousreply 238May 8, 2023 4:49 PM

Granny Buttercup, as a consumer, I don't give a fuck if a home heating oil bill for $/€/£600 costs me $/€/£618 or topping up my gasoline tank costs for $/€/£60 or 6.18, or a car wash costs $/€/£10 or 10.30, I will happily pay the 3% processing fee factored into the cost so as not to spend my days standing in lines at banks and bank machines to save the merchant a few coins that are not, in in 2023, an inconvenience for the merchant but a cost of doing business: like the shitty calendar the heating fuel company gives it's regular customers in December, or the cost of the trucks they use to deliver fuel, or the electric and water bills for the car wash. I expect to pay for those things and salaries and associated costs and rents, etc.

Where I live for all of the the 21st Century you couldn't pay a fuel oil bill in cash, or write a fucking check for any of those things. Everyone pays with cards or by money transfer excepting small sums that can also be paid in cash. In large parts of the world, personal checks haven't existed as a payment option for many years outside of whatever U.S. backwater you live in.

If you want to carry thousands in cash or your personal checking book every fucking place, carry on with your crusade to save the world one small mom-&-pop business at a time. But everyone else knows that credit card processing fees exist and are part of life.

by Anonymousreply 239May 8, 2023 5:01 PM

If you're a business owner and don't accept credit cards in the year 2023 you're not very good at being a business owner. Lots of people won't bother with you. Hell, many people today don't even own a checkbook. And they don't want to walk around with cash in their pockets.

by Anonymousreply 240May 8, 2023 6:47 PM

[quote]If I don’t like the service I use my AMEX card. Otherwise it’s MC/VISA

Why, R238?

by Anonymousreply 241May 8, 2023 7:11 PM

R241: Not R238, but I assume he was referring to the traditionally higher merchant % fee charged by AmEx as compared to Visa and MasterCard.

by Anonymousreply 242May 8, 2023 8:09 PM

I use checks to pay for my coal delivery and for the iceman. I use cash, however, to tip the Western Union boy when he delivers a telegram.

by Anonymousreply 243May 8, 2023 8:11 PM

R243, just the tip, please!

by Anonymousreply 244May 8, 2023 8:12 PM

I ran out of cash when my Western Union boy showed up. Fortunately, I had an alternative method of payment for him.

by Anonymousreply 245May 8, 2023 8:15 PM

R243 how do you pay your local milkman?

by Anonymousreply 246May 8, 2023 8:36 PM

Wash your ass

by Anonymousreply 247May 8, 2023 9:11 PM

I've had to block the festering cunt at R239.

by Anonymousreply 248May 8, 2023 9:15 PM

R239 Buttercup, it's not about you (this must shock you) but about the small business serving you - home heating, car wash, etc. They're the ones who work on a tight margin and don't want extra finance fees in collecting payments from their customers. They don't give a shit about you.

by Anonymousreply 249May 8, 2023 11:17 PM

Always have an extra ping pong ball handy. Or a key to the supply closet.

by Anonymousreply 250May 8, 2023 11:20 PM

R240 There is a very popular sandwich shop in my city - been in business for over 50 years, same family owns it. They have never accepted CCs, and the place is jam-packed every afternoon. They are located near tons of businesses and do special orders and even catering to these businesses / offices / banks. They will accept cash from them or business checks (they never accept personal checks). If a new customer wanders in with no cash on them - there are ATMs just steps away from the three banks which are their neighbors.

They are more than surviving in 2023.

by Anonymousreply 251May 8, 2023 11:25 PM

Nothing riles up the eldergays like checks and cash. And self checkout. They just cannot deal.

by Anonymousreply 252May 8, 2023 11:28 PM

Stand up and fart on your subjects

by Anonymousreply 253May 8, 2023 11:29 PM

I'm eldergay and I love self-checkout, R252.

by Anonymousreply 254May 8, 2023 11:31 PM

I LOVE self-checkout, r252. Been using it since the day it was available.

by Anonymousreply 255May 8, 2023 11:31 PM

In Nordic countries they're not even using cards much anymore, it's all apps. Even the elderly are doing this. In the US people's heads would explode.

by Anonymousreply 256May 8, 2023 11:32 PM

Beware of doctor's offices that go from being a private practice to being run by a large organization (network of hospitals, etc.).

by Anonymousreply 257May 8, 2023 11:35 PM

I LOVE the pay apps on my phone! I do it all; pay apps, zelle, wire transfers, credit card, checks, cash - i identify as polymonetary.

by Anonymousreply 258May 8, 2023 11:37 PM

A new trend is to charge the customer the merchant fee. If you cannot do business and accept merchant fees, you should really just close up shop. It’s insulting to your customers.

by Anonymousreply 259May 8, 2023 11:44 PM

I do use the self checkouts, I like to dump all my coins into it. Other than that, I prefer humans, not machines

by Anonymousreply 260May 8, 2023 11:45 PM

Meh. I don't. Humans tend to ask nosy personal questions, especially middle-aged fraus. I'll take the machines.

by Anonymousreply 261May 8, 2023 11:47 PM

Don't ever, ever, ever pay by credit card for a magazine subscription. They will auto-renew your ass at a much higher rate per year and it will be a hellish experience to cancel them. Pay by check.

THEN, toss the first and second renewal offers you receive. The third offer will be a great offer that you can't refuse.

But again, pay by check.

Rinse, repeat.

by Anonymousreply 262May 8, 2023 11:50 PM

R10- social media can be very helpful. I randomly posted an old audition on FB several years ago and ended up finally getting cast in the part. I recently posted about an old movie I made that didn’t get distrubution and now there’s a crowd of people who want to see it and I’ve been put in touch with people who can get it out there. Also- many years ago, I posted on Twitter asking if anyone wanted my extra ticket to a basketball game. The guy who said ended up being a great friend. These are just a few examples of how I’ve benefited from social media.

by Anonymousreply 263May 9, 2023 12:01 AM

[quote] Never present hole to gentleman callers without first offering complimentary nibbles.

That must be where I’ve been going wrong: I charge for the nibbles.

by Anonymousreply 264May 9, 2023 12:07 AM

If you notice ANY testicular irregularity while sucking on his dick, please wait until AFTER he shoots to suggest he get his nuts checked for cancer.

Any earlier, and you destroy the mood.

by Anonymousreply 265May 9, 2023 12:34 AM

R262 It's hard to find magazines that will do this anymore....but some will.

by Anonymousreply 266May 9, 2023 1:15 AM

Watch out for acquaintances who get your social media or phone number and start messaging you every day. They have no boundaries or common sense.

by Anonymousreply 267May 9, 2023 1:21 AM

🍵 Stone Soup actually has little or no nutritional value.

by Anonymousreply 268May 9, 2023 1:37 AM

[quote]After I take a crap - Every time I take a crap I wipe my ass then dip three q tips in Witch Hazel squat and rub the q tips up and down the crack of my ass thoroughly- prevents hemorrhoids and cleanses the ass at the same time.

Pro Tip: Preparation H sells medicated wipes (with witch hazel). No need to waste q tips...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269May 9, 2023 2:26 AM

Try not to strain when shitting to prevent hem-hemhawrroids. Bad for facial veins too. Just squat like the Asians do before you hit the loo, that position eases the bowels open. Easier said than done when under 50 I suppose.

by Anonymousreply 270May 9, 2023 5:20 AM

Here you go - keep your temper under control. Do not assume that blowing your stack in public will not get you killed, or you will not lose a friend after you verbally attack them. Stand up for yourself by all means, but don't lose your shit.

If you hit your children past the age of about 5, do not assume they will not remember and hate you for it.

by Anonymousreply 271May 9, 2023 6:07 AM

(If you care about your weight), never let yourself gain more than 5 lb/2.5kg. It's a lot easier to lose 5 pounds than to lose 20.

by Anonymousreply 272May 9, 2023 6:13 AM

If you are starting therapy to solve a life problem, set some clear goals at the beginning with a time frame to achieve them, and hold the therapist accountable to stay on track. Don't get addicted to therapy that is not going anywhere.

If the therapist becomes unprofessional, eg turning sessions into social conversations, talking about themself, this is a red flag.

And when you want to leave for any reason, leave. Don't get hooked into any termination ritual or let them gaslight you into continuing.

by Anonymousreply 273May 9, 2023 6:23 AM

Does this happen? Do therapists become unprofessional?

by Anonymousreply 274May 9, 2023 9:07 AM

Beware of female dominated offices, or websites like Houzz and Soap Central. Too much mean girl drama.

by Anonymousreply 275May 9, 2023 9:23 AM

Amen R275. And beware of mentally ill posters on those sites (like Spicen).

by Anonymousreply 276May 9, 2023 1:33 PM

R273 I had to drop my therapist after a couple of years because each session was about 'her'. She came from Mexico with her family as undocumented immigrants in the 70s, and each session was about how she achieved her goals as an immigrant, how her brothers and sisters are jealous of her because they don't make as much money as she does, how precious her three children are, how supportive her husband has been for the past 25 years, all the vacations she goes on...

(I have an acquaintance who worked in the office where she had her practice, and asked me why I dropped her. I told her - she loved to brag about herself. She told me that was the #1 reason why she had lost so many patients over the past few years.)

I finally dropped her and found someone else who is the opposite of her.

by Anonymousreply 277May 9, 2023 4:15 PM

Next tip: avoid female therapists.

by Anonymousreply 278May 9, 2023 4:25 PM

If you have a big dick, you have an obligation to share it with the world.

by Anonymousreply 279May 9, 2023 4:28 PM

Always douche before anal and if it is your first time, push out like you are taking a dump when they enter you, it won't hurt.

by Anonymousreply 280May 9, 2023 5:23 PM

If you're trying to lose weight, weigh yourself every single morning.

Get a good scale. I have a Tanita scale that I bought ages ago. Still works.

by Anonymousreply 281May 9, 2023 5:32 PM

For those of you that prefer to wear hosiery, or see people in it....

FREEZE YOUR HOSE or TIGHTS before wearing. It will keep them from running much longer. Some of us don't have the best legs in the world and prefer to be covered up, at least in business settings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282May 9, 2023 5:37 PM

Always pay in cash. Especially when offering homage to a legend.

by Anonymousreply 283May 9, 2023 7:14 PM

If he grabs your ears while you’re sucking his dick, you are ENCOURAGED to punch him in the nuts. We have covid masked ear syndrome and it makes us punchy.

by Anonymousreply 284May 10, 2023 1:38 AM

Don't let him cum in your mouth if he's been eating asparagus.

by Anonymousreply 285May 10, 2023 1:46 AM

Always have a separate savings account with a few thousand dollars in it for the 'George Santos Defense Fund'. It will come in hand on days like today.

by Anonymousreply 286May 10, 2023 3:37 PM

if the guy you're about the fuck takes the dick pills, how many times are you expected to fuck him? I'm gonna be going out with someone older and I'm sure he takes the dick pill but he drinks a lot so I don't know what to expect. I don't date men over 50 usually.

by Anonymousreply 287May 10, 2023 11:28 PM

We want life tips, not body counts R287.

by Anonymousreply 288May 11, 2023 12:07 AM

Always clip on earrings darling.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289May 11, 2023 1:23 AM

Never listen to any OP who’s first piece of advice is some out-of-date notion of how airline dynamic pricing works.

by Anonymousreply 290May 11, 2023 2:12 AM

The times for pick up on the street mailboxes are the EARLIEST the mail will be picked up. The actual time can be up to two hours later.

IF you can find a mailbox on the street.

by Anonymousreply 291May 11, 2023 3:20 PM

Men - if you have any grey in your beard, shave it off! A grey beard or stubble makes you look like a derelict and adds 10 years to your appearance.

Ladies - the most ageing thing you can do appearance-wise is to let your hair go grey.

by Anonymousreply 292May 11, 2023 3:28 PM

Don’t let guilt force you to ruin your life by upending your life to care for a needy elderly mother who will use you and leave you alone to age by yourself. Too many gay men - and many women - are dumped on as the “available” one. Mothers use the bond to get what they need - and too many eldergays are left fending for themselves and taken advantage of by “busy” sibling with kids.

by Anonymousreply 293May 11, 2023 3:29 PM

[quote]IF you can find a mailbox on the street.

Just an aside, the mailboxes outside my local post office have been reconfigured so they only have one tiny, thin slot, just big enough to deposit one letter at a time. Too much theft from the traditional boxes.

by Anonymousreply 294May 11, 2023 3:39 PM

[quote]Never listen to any OP who’s first piece of advice is

Whose piece of advice is this, dear? Oh!

by Anonymousreply 295May 11, 2023 4:51 PM

The Op, that’s who.

Who are you?

by Anonymousreply 296May 11, 2023 4:59 PM

Sage advice, put sage in your Thanksgiving dressing.

by Anonymousreply 297May 11, 2023 5:02 PM

Hit me up for my thoughts and attitudes towards wellness and lifestyle topics.

by Anonymousreply 298May 11, 2023 7:59 PM

If you need new sheets, consider some kind of stripe pattern, because you will always remember which way the stripes go and it'll be easier/quicker/less enraging to make your bed.

by Anonymousreply 299May 12, 2023 12:40 AM

yes, the slot in mailboxes are smaller but I still see people trying to fish and steal mail from there.

by Anonymousreply 300May 12, 2023 7:22 AM

Don't waste money on expensive skin creams; get prescriptions from the dermatologist instead and use sunscreen every day.

Maintaining your clothes and shoes is a lot cheaper than replacing them, and goes a long way to enhancing your looks and status.

by Anonymousreply 301May 12, 2023 7:59 AM

R293 as an only child with two sick parents (one of whom needs help taking care of the other), I don’t really have a choice and am resentful of my situation…. though at least I’m saving a lot of money by not paying rent..:

by Anonymousreply 302May 13, 2023 5:09 AM

R302, we’ve been through that. You are not alone. We would pat you on the back, but that is bullshit. This is a harsh reality for you and I could say some worthless bullshit. This is the richest life experience we get. It hurts. You are the aadult now,

by Anonymousreply 303May 13, 2023 8:28 AM

Don’t get roped into being your parents retirement plan. Get in their financial business when you're still young and help guide them with their savings and investments the same way you start planning yours. It may not leave you completely off the hook, but some money is better than none. It’s worth the cost to have policies on them and if they want to take one out on you in case something happens that’s fine too.

by Anonymousreply 304May 13, 2023 10:08 AM

I’m shocked my iPhone didn’t add the apostrophe in the wrong place on “parents”, instead it just ate it altogether.

*parents’

by Anonymousreply 305May 13, 2023 10:10 AM

I agree with R303. I helped my parents care for my Grandmother when I was still late teens as they would never put her in a retirement home to be ignored. I had times when I really resented it but looking back I have no regrets about what they did, it was a wonderful thing. I know it isn't easy but caring for an aging family member can be one of the most rewarding things so long as it doesn't throw out own lives completely off for years.

by Anonymousreply 306May 13, 2023 10:43 AM

What makes you think relatively young parents want their child's investment guidance, R304?

by Anonymousreply 307May 13, 2023 12:32 PM

R304 is a little aggressive, but not completely wrong. You have no idea how much your parents’ retirement can affect your life or how suddenly. When they can’t function fully or run out of resources, are you willing to leave them on their own? Even the most dysfunctional parent looks very different when you see them struggling.

by Anonymousreply 308May 13, 2023 12:49 PM

Getting tickets to a Janet Jackson concert is always a waste of money. Either she will cancel because its what she does or the show will just suck anyway.

by Anonymousreply 309May 13, 2023 1:49 PM

R307 when you, as a child, make it clear they'll be living in a home and tended to by a caretaker named Large Marge, they might take the advice.

by Anonymousreply 310May 13, 2023 1:50 PM

Skin is a gift.

by Anonymousreply 311May 13, 2023 1:56 PM

Live in New York City once in your life, but leave before it makes you hard.

by Anonymousreply 312May 13, 2023 2:18 PM

R307 It doesn’t have to be advice, it can also be taken as a warning. Too many young adults and older children are financially abused by their financially irresponsible parents who made absolutely no preparations for themselves and think that they can emotionally blackmail and manipulate their way to a soft retirement. Some parents are just financially illiterate and don’t know where to start beyond a savings account, so if they respect their adult child who is making their own moves for retirement, then they can end up way ahead of their peers. This happens a lot in immigrant communities until a child or some other relative brings the knowledge that sets them up to succeed in retirement and maybe leave something for their kids or make their end of life needs easier to manage without hurting their child(ren) financially.

by Anonymousreply 313May 13, 2023 2:19 PM

Stop, in the name of Love.

Before you break my heart.

by Anonymousreply 314May 13, 2023 2:29 PM

Hydrate to keep your skin from drying out.

Never have sex with someone who is in a relationship.

Get your car's oil changed regularly.

Don't let your driver's license expire.

Get a passport - you never know when a foreign prince will come into your life and you'll be ready to go.

Keep Elvis Presley and Duran Duran music on your playlist.

by Anonymousreply 315May 13, 2023 3:12 PM

so, r313 grew up in a trailer park on government cheese.

by Anonymousreply 316May 13, 2023 3:28 PM

always good to know the medical wishes of your family members.

by Anonymousreply 317May 13, 2023 3:30 PM

Write your own obituary . . . That way all the dates, places and life high points will be represented as you wish . . .

by Anonymousreply 318May 13, 2023 5:24 PM

R316 No, but my, perpetually broke thanks to their fucked to family, friends did.

by Anonymousreply 319May 13, 2023 5:41 PM

Take care of your hands and feet. Stretch them, the fingers, the Achilles area. Walk barefoot at home. Moisturize.

by Anonymousreply 320May 13, 2023 5:49 PM

May we just give OP thanks for not saying life HACKS?

by Anonymousreply 321May 13, 2023 7:42 PM

R320 agree even though I walk in plush slippers at home as I hate being barefoot. Stretch daily, legs especially. You want to clip your toenails easily north of 65 still.

by Anonymousreply 322May 13, 2023 8:49 PM

Never stick your dick in crazy.

by Anonymousreply 323May 13, 2023 10:55 PM

Fake it til you make it

by Anonymousreply 324May 14, 2023 2:27 AM

"Take care of your teeth and they'll take care of you."

by Anonymousreply 325May 14, 2023 2:35 AM

[quote]If you need new sheets, consider some kind of stripe pattern, because you will always remember which way the stripes go and it'll be easier/quicker/less enraging to make your bed.

This random bit of advice is so brilliant, it made me laugh out loud for real. Thank you, oh wise one!

by Anonymousreply 326May 14, 2023 5:03 AM

OK this is an easy one. Do you know those can openers that don't cut into the lid and unseal the lid so there are no sharp edges? Well, you can do that with any can opener. All you have to do is turn the can opener sideways so that the part that normally punctures the lid is on the side of the can instead of the top puncturing the lid. Twist the knob like normal and it will spin around and the lid will come unsealed just like the special can openers.

My sister didn't believe me until I showed her.

by Anonymousreply 327May 14, 2023 5:06 AM

Inhale love, exhale gratitude

by Anonymousreply 328May 14, 2023 5:20 AM

One can never have too many hats, belts and shoes.

by Anonymousreply 329May 14, 2023 6:13 AM

I like those side-cut can openers, but they do leave a sharp spot, at the point where you’ve gone completely around the circumference. There will be a slight unevenness where the cuts meet, causing a sharp spot.

by Anonymousreply 330May 14, 2023 6:19 AM

Always ask for ID.

Always have a machine around that can make an ID if your date can’t produce one with the correct legal age for consensual sex.

by Anonymousreply 331May 14, 2023 6:33 AM

R326. Or, you could just look for the wider seamed edge at the top of any flat sheet …to know which way is up.🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 332May 14, 2023 11:02 AM

When is the last time anyone used a can opener? The only reason I could possibly think of is canned quality tomatoes for sauce and, even then, fresh is always preferred.

by Anonymousreply 333May 14, 2023 11:05 AM

R332 Yes, I can do that too. It just struck me as funny to suggest striped sheets. It's a good idea for us lazy people.

by Anonymousreply 334May 14, 2023 3:48 PM

R33 You don't need a can opener until you do.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335May 14, 2023 3:53 PM

R332 that’s easy for the top sheet. Not sure if it’s universal, but the fitted sheets I have labels that say “top/bottom” on the narrow ends.

by Anonymousreply 336May 14, 2023 4:11 PM

[quote] When is the last time anyone used a can opener? The only reason I could possibly think of is canned quality tomatoes for sauce and, even then, fresh is always preferred.

Thanks, Ina Garten.

by Anonymousreply 337May 14, 2023 4:13 PM

[Quote] When is the last time anyone used a can opener? The only reason I could possibly think of is canned quality tomatoes for sauce and, even then, fresh is always preferred

R333 remember, your life isn’t the only life.

by Anonymousreply 338May 14, 2023 4:21 PM

Here’s a tip

Wear more deodorant especially if you’re fat & ugly!

by Anonymousreply 339May 14, 2023 8:36 PM

R327, honestly, the only cans I buy are San Marzano tomatoes which are infinitely better than even the freshest tomatoes and things like a bolognese. But I've also needed a can opener for things like water, chestnuts, hearts of palm, sliced black olives. Things that don't generally come in jars.

I guess I do use it for more than just tomatoes.

by Anonymousreply 340May 14, 2023 8:42 PM

Buy e-cloths to clean your home. You do not need to buy chemicals to clean with because e-cloth uses special kinds of microfiber weaves that eliminate the need for “cleaners”. You can dampen wipe and have it be 99% bacteria free. Just rinse out and reuse. You can wash them in the machine with normal detergent and air dry.

by Anonymousreply 341May 14, 2023 9:01 PM

R103 & R108 = Shop bottom problems.

by Anonymousreply 342May 14, 2023 10:01 PM

Try to have your bag, clothes, tablets, keys etc all set out for the morning so you don't start your day off badly the next morning if you oversleep or can't find something.

by Anonymousreply 343May 14, 2023 10:33 PM

R341, oh really? I think I would still need to bleach the bathroom.

I am looking into e cloths but I havent seen them in the stores. only seen regular microfiber cloths

by Anonymousreply 344May 14, 2023 10:41 PM

To add to r343 - if you need to bring anything else with you like work documents, etc. have them all laid out next to your keys so you don't forget them on your mad rush out the door in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 345May 14, 2023 10:41 PM

They’re in more upscale type store that are above dollar general and Walmart

by Anonymousreply 346May 15, 2023 12:42 AM

r344 r346 E-cloths:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347May 15, 2023 12:56 AM

I clean the toilet with bleach, no “cloth” is going to do the job.

by Anonymousreply 348May 17, 2023 12:00 PM

Exercising fasted or on an empty stomach feels easier and seems to accelerate weight loss results. Ditto working out in short bursts, in private spaces or in quiet times of day. I am a lazy flabby whore with social anxiety, body image/embodiment problems, and I find these methods mean I tend to exercise more regularly and with less angst. If I know it’s going to be over quick, no one will be looking at me and I get to eat a nice brunch afterward, I’m more likely to bite the bullet and work out.

by Anonymousreply 349May 17, 2023 12:08 PM

Empty stomach? Not for me - but everyone is different. I need some carbs to power through a good workout.

Working out only happened for me in retirement. When it became a lifestyle - because I had time - it became my routine. Now when I look at younger guys who are in great shape I think how much time and energy they have to devote to gym, eating and avoiding things. Much less envious.

by Anonymousreply 350May 17, 2023 12:41 PM

I slap faces when I feel i need to

by Anonymousreply 351May 17, 2023 12:45 PM

Gods don't exist.

by Anonymousreply 352May 17, 2023 1:00 PM

Wash your hands

by Anonymousreply 353May 20, 2023 5:31 AM

Stairs are a death trap. Always keep one of your arms free when you're going up the stairs, so you can break the fall. Especially if you're running up the stairs and the stairs are made of concrete or stone -- do NOT have both of your hand occupied with grocery bags. You can lose your teeth or even die if you plant your face on one of those.

by Anonymousreply 354May 20, 2023 5:38 AM

^^^ Or better yet, hold on to a railing. People do die from a fall down the stairs.

by Anonymousreply 355May 20, 2023 6:38 AM

Don't eat White Castle Sliders after a night of drinking.💩🍺🚽

by Anonymousreply 356May 20, 2023 6:58 AM

[quote]If you need new sheets, consider some kind of stripe pattern, because you will always remember which way the stripes go and it'll be easier/quicker/less enraging to make your bed.

I don't like striped sheets. It makes me feel like I'm sleeping on Beetlejuice. I only buy solid colors and the brand I like the best is actually Target's Threshold and the fitted sheet has tags at the top and bottom that indicate what direction they go on.

by Anonymousreply 357May 20, 2023 7:19 AM

r357 You could go to a hypnotherapist and have all your memories of Beetlejuice gaslit out of you. I'm not saying you should do that just to be able to sleep on striped sheets, but it is an option.

by Anonymousreply 358May 20, 2023 8:22 AM

Don't count on sunscreen to protect your face against sun damage. Wear a hat if you're in direct sun.

by Anonymousreply 359May 20, 2023 8:25 AM

If you're going for a walk try to carry some cat/dog treats in your bag. I met the most delightful kitty last night and had nothing to offer :(

by Anonymousreply 360May 20, 2023 9:23 AM

r357 I had a friend when I was young who got nightmares if he slept on striped sheets. In the dreams, he'd be in prison or in a concentration camp.

by Anonymousreply 361May 20, 2023 12:14 PM

Never buy striped sheets if you are overweight, you will look even fatter in bed. Stripes are not slimming.

by Anonymousreply 362May 20, 2023 12:25 PM

Do not enter an elevator (especially in an office building, school, etc) alone if no one else is in the building - always take the stairs. That way should the elevator ever get stuck, you are not trapped in the building by yourself until help arrives.

by Anonymousreply 363May 20, 2023 12:27 PM

^caveat: it will take forever to get wherever you’re going.

by Anonymousreply 364May 20, 2023 1:17 PM

R363, I would much rather be trapped by myself than with a stranger.

by Anonymousreply 365May 20, 2023 1:25 PM

The Internet is not real life

That includes social media

That includes Twitter

That includes Datalounge

by Anonymousreply 366May 20, 2023 1:25 PM

[quote] The Internet is not real life. That includes Datalounge

Utter bloody rubbish. DL is about as real as life can get. The outpouring of genuine caring, concern, support affection, assistance and a listening ear when posters take the time to post their questions or troubles or joys or sorrows or are just looking to connect in that yeah, me too kinda way. The Brotherhood of DL at its finest. Can't get any more real than that.

by Anonymousreply 367May 20, 2023 1:34 PM

Just because you saw it in The Internets doesn't mean it's true.

by Anonymousreply 368May 20, 2023 1:36 PM

R368 Now I'm wondering if YOUR statement is true! Hmmmm.....

by Anonymousreply 369May 20, 2023 2:04 PM

[quote] How often do you get stuck in an elevator? FF’sS

That one time is all you need.

by Anonymousreply 370May 20, 2023 2:08 PM

R363 If you have a cellphone, you're not alone.

Nobody needs to be in the building for you to call 911 or the elevator company's local office.

by Anonymousreply 371May 20, 2023 3:39 PM

^^^^ If you have reception in the elevator, you're lucky. But if you don't, or if you don't have your cell phone on you - you're in deep shit.

by Anonymousreply 372May 20, 2023 3:43 PM

The elevator will have an alarm button. When the building is open, the signal both causes an alarm to sound and a call to the building's management or operations office. When it's closed, the call goes directly to the elevator technician and the calls are handled expeditiously.

by Anonymousreply 373May 20, 2023 4:10 PM

To R370- 3 times stuck in an elevator, twice in NYC and once in Chicago.

When it happened in Chicago, the confused married guy had a crying 6-month-old baby girl(Clarissa) and a muscular Latino delivery man/college student who was bringing food to our floor, 95 minutes trapped. Patience is a virtue!!

by Anonymousreply 374May 20, 2023 4:12 PM

[quote]Don't count on sunscreen to protect your face against sun damage. Wear a hat if you're in direct sun.

Or actually do both, if you really want to protect your face and skin.

by Anonymousreply 375May 20, 2023 4:19 PM

Unless your server spits in your food or you find a rat head in your soup, give an online review the best that you're able to. Everybody needs a pat on the back now and again.

by Anonymousreply 376May 20, 2023 4:25 PM

Re elevators: never, ever, shove yourself in between the closing doors of an elevator. If you rush up to find the doors closing, quickly wave one of your free hands or arms in between the doors. Sensors there should sense this, and open the doors again for you to step into the elevator car. If they don't, then the doors close without incident and you can catch the next elevator.

There is the rare chance that if you throw yourself between the closing doors, a body or clothing part could get caught without the sensors working. The car will then head up or down, with part of you hanging on the other side. Lots of death and injury has been caused by faulty doors, or people trying to dive through them.

by Anonymousreply 377May 20, 2023 4:40 PM

I saw an Alfred Hitchcock Hour where the murderer wanted to kill someone by removing the fuse to the elevator when her victim was coming down in it on a Labor Day weekend - when the body wouldn't be found for at least three days.....

When she and everyone else came in on Tuesday they finally got the elevator door open....and she had killed her lover!

The girl was played by Anne Francis....it was most entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 378May 20, 2023 4:48 PM

Don’t watch horror movies

by Anonymousreply 379May 20, 2023 4:58 PM

R378 I want to watch that ! What movie is this ? Don't you have a title to share ?

by Anonymousreply 380May 20, 2023 5:01 PM

^facepalm

by Anonymousreply 381May 20, 2023 5:03 PM

"Facepalm" - thanks ! I will have to look for it and see if it's streaming.

by Anonymousreply 382May 20, 2023 5:10 PM

Alfred Hitchcock Hour - season 3 episode 18 - The Trap.

It seems the details are not quite as I remembered them, but the result is the same.

Victim was stuck in the elevator for a couple of months.

by Anonymousreply 383May 20, 2023 10:33 PM

Facepalm: Why the DLer Went Home for Christmas

Coming this holiday on the Hallmark Channel

by Anonymousreply 384May 20, 2023 11:28 PM

Reminds me of the Tales Of The Unexpected episode "The Way Up To Heaven" with Julie Harris getting revenge on her bullying husband by way of their private elevator..

by Anonymousreply 385May 21, 2023 12:07 AM

Never pick a partner who takes 3 hours to get ready to go anywhere. So fucking vain and time wasting...

by Anonymousreply 386May 22, 2023 6:34 PM

Study the Stoics. They had it all figured out thousands of years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 387May 23, 2023 2:00 PM

Dog parks are dangerous for disease and drama. They are more for people to interact than dogs and are always unpredictable. All it takes is one clueless or negligent owner to show up. It’s better to find a regular group of likeminded owners with known dogs and meet in a lower key area.

by Anonymousreply 388May 23, 2023 2:18 PM

Run like hell!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389May 23, 2023 9:33 PM

Fight out your petty internet fights to the bitter end. Whether you pay with check or not, resolve this dispute at all costs. The casual reader will find you incredibly smart and even sexy. There is nothing sexier than one-upping another poster's tenth counter argument. Especially when it's about checks.

by Anonymousreply 390June 4, 2023 10:34 PM

I know someone that was stuck in the Hancock Building elevator once. I would lose my SHIT!

by Anonymousreply 391June 5, 2023 12:50 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!