Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Anyone watch John Mulaney's new Netflix special?

The worst, most clichéd part of any filmed stand-up special usually comes in the opening minutes, before a comedian takes the stage. In an attempt to build anticipation, some directors show the audience filing in; others concentrate on the performer backstage, deep in thought. John Mulaney’s 2015 Netflix special, The Comeback Kid, featured a soaring view of the Chicago skyline and a cute bit where he talks to his dog in a greenroom. In his 2018 follow-up, Kid Gorgeous, Mulaney arrived at Radio City Music Hall and proceeded through its majestic lobby before charging the stage to cheers.

I don’t begrudge any of these intros that much—stand-up-comedy monologues are not very cinematic, and it can be hard to set the scene without leaning on familiar imagery. But I was struck by how Mulaney’s latest effort, Baby J (now streaming on Netflix), just starts. We hear the comedian’s voice over a black screen, and when the picture fades in, Mulaney is already onstage, mid-joke. There’s no fanfare, no zhuzhing things up, and certainly no roaring applause. Mulaney is here to talk, and he’s become weary of the glitzy frame that has grown around him.

Still, that doesn’t mean Mulaney is shunning the spotlight entirely. “The past couple years, I’ve done a lot of work on myself, and I’ve realized that I’ll be fine as long as I get constant attention,” he says. So begins a very revealing, amusingly unflattering routine about how, as a young boy, he was so desperate to be noticed that he prayed for a grandparent’s death so he could get sympathy at school. That sets the tone for an 80-minute show that deals with the aftermath of tabloid-y personal crises that have engulfed Mulaney in recent years: a stay in rehab for cocaine and alcohol abuse, followed by a very public divorce, a new relationship with the actor Olivia Munn, and the birth of his son.

All of that is very far from the kind of material Mulaney has dug into for his previous specials. I’ve loved him since he released his first album, The Top Part, in 2009, when he was a young writer on Saturday Night Live. His skill has always laid in fine-tuned observation, with sprinklings of nonsense, childhood recollection, and carefree jabs at his own inability to be a grown-up even as he got married and experienced more success. Well, he’s a real adult now, and Baby J takes a hammer to the baby-face image Mulaney has cultivated over the years.

Early on in the new special, the comedian imagines a ritzier opening with a song-and-dance number trying to summarize his recent life experiences. “We all went to rehab and we all got divorced, and now our reputation is diff-rent!” he warbles. “No one knows what to think, all the kids like Bo Burnham more because he’s currently less problematic! Likability is a jail!” That last line, which Mulaney drones like the bass of a barbershop quartet, is the rueful undertone of Baby J. Yes, his supernova career saw him playing bigger stages to more adoration, but being the star everyone could picture themselves being pals with—chatting about old Law & Order episodes or how annoying it is to fly with Delta Airlines—also proved stifling.

It’s not that Mulaney didn’t touch on darker subjects before—his first hour-long special, 2012’s New In Town, deals with his addiction struggles. But it also undercuts that revelation by falling back on his innocent image. “I used to drink, and then I drank too much, and I had to stop. That surprises a lot of audiences, because I don’t look like someone who used to do anything,” he says. “I look like I was just sitting in a room in a chair eating saltines for, like, 28 years.” In Baby J, Mulaney works to dispel that notion completely. We get stories about him scoring prescription pills from weird doctors he found on the internet and buying a Rolex on credit just to sell it for drug money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 8, 2023 2:53 PM

It now seems much more important to Mulaney that the audience understands what a jerk he can be. He recounts in wincing detail his arrogance during his intervention, then reflects on how irritated he was that nobody at his rehab program recognized him. The story of preteen Mulaney hoping for a grandparent to die is particularly telling, not just because he leads the special with it, but because it implies that he’s always had a nasty streak.

The reason Mulaney has to work extra hard at convincing us of this is that he remains, even in this grimmer show, an incredibly winning and relatable figure onstage. He almost can’t help but drag the audience onto his side, even as he tries to slow down the Spalding Gray rat-a-tat patter and the bouncing physicality that defined his earlier work. “If you’ve seen me do stand-up before, I have kind of a different vibe now,” he says. There’s undoubtedly a lot more weight on Mulaney’s shoulders, and more retrospection in his storytelling. But few comedians are currently working with his kind of natural talent. Nice guy or no, Mulaney will remain appointment viewing whenever he decides to open up next.

by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2023 7:51 PM

It's his weakest special, but Mulaney at his weakest is better than most comedians' best.

Loved the story about the pervy quack who supplied him with pills; his examining room was the kitchenette of his apartment and part of the price to be paid was John taking off his shirt so the doc could see him.

by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2023 8:17 PM

I'm surprised no one on DL has commented on this.

Apparently Mulaney had Dave Chapelle come out at one of his shows and (surprise!) all his material was hating on trans ppl. Because I guess Chapelle lives in a world where everyone tells him he's a genius and if anyone disagrees, it fucks him up.

by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2023 9:02 PM

I watched it yesterday. I think I chuckled twice, whereas in previous stand-up specials of his, I laughed quite a bit. I'm just not interested in star fucking, name dropping, ever-so-pleased with himself John Mulaney. I had no idea until I started watching it that it was all about his addiction issues, nor had I known how far they reached. I'm not going to say the stories didn't hold my attention (some of the not best reasons), but a stand up comedian is supposed to make you laugh. That really didn't happen here. He's way too smug these days.

Oh well.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2023 9:07 PM

He looks greasier now, maybe it's the hair

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2023 9:14 PM

I kind of hate him, but in a bored way.

by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2023 9:17 PM

As I wrote in the other thread about this, it was a good special. Hit all the right beats and was funny. It deserves some awards attention at the appropriate time.

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2023 9:18 PM

Awards for what?

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2023 9:45 PM

As is always the case at Datalounge, the other thread is better.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2023 9:47 PM

Then go post in it, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2023 9:49 PM

Did Olivia Munn tie him down or will he cheat? Just because he loves his son doesn't mean he has to love his baby mama.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2023 10:01 PM

I got the idea from the special that he wasn't too crazy about being a dad.

by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2023 10:02 PM

R12 I mean, he'd only been saying his entire adult life he had no interest in being a dad. So I'm not sure what his problem is, now that he's a dad.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2023 10:05 PM

No, I know, R13. But you know sometimes when people who have said that actually wind up having a kid, they at least pretend that they're into it. Not him!

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2023 10:09 PM

I watched a few minutes, not from the beginning, from another part. I'm not that familiar with him or his act. But I wanted to see what he was like. Have to say he's not my kind of stand-up comic. With comics you either like them or you don't. PS That suit is ugly.

by Anonymousreply 15April 26, 2023 10:18 PM

It was a very good special. One of the few that kept me interested till the end. Very Spaulding Grey if that name rings a bell.

by Anonymousreply 16April 29, 2023 1:09 AM

The suit is very Lawrence Welk Show.

by Anonymousreply 17April 29, 2023 1:36 AM

I love the suit, was expecting more from the comedy. This review captures my feelings about it pretty well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 29, 2023 1:40 AM

The special was pretty good, but it made me sad. His old stuff was upbeat and smart with just enough silly, and I miss it. The new material feels like everything in life now: bleaker, darker, and heavier.

by Anonymousreply 19April 29, 2023 2:16 AM

Just my opinion, but I thought his old stuff was plenty dark. I just don't think a lot of people were actually listening to what he was saying.

by Anonymousreply 20April 29, 2023 3:12 PM

I can’t help myself, I keep watching it over and over, for whatever reason his humor is my perfect vibe, but I hate that god awful theater, it’s about as hideous a space I’ve ever seen for a theater. I heard it has some of the best acoustic in the country, but with standup that’s inconsequential, it’s just a filming location that detracts from the show.

by Anonymousreply 21May 9, 2023 3:33 AM

Am I the only one who gets the sense that the wife wasn’t part of the intervention? Or she might have been one of the people Zooming in from a far? If she Zoomed in that’s justification enough for him to divorce her. Or is it possible she was doing drugs with him all along too? I can’t quite tease any of that out from the show.

by Anonymousreply 22May 9, 2023 3:37 AM

I assumed that his wife asked that his family (her and the kid) be left out of the special, but it made it feel incomplete.

by Anonymousreply 23May 9, 2023 7:27 AM

A friend of Tendler's already said in that long tell-all article about a year and a half ago that these celebs organized an intervention without her there. Unfortunately the friend didn't say why they did that, but I suspect the cheating was part of it.

Remember that Mulaney not only had Tendler appear with him on the Halloween SNL skit in October 2021, but he kept talking about her in interviews as his wife. Only after he left rehab and rumors about him and Munn started up did he claim that he and his wife broke up before the Halloween SNL episode, and his friend Seth Meyers helped him with that lie. I'd bet Seth and other celeb friends were helping him cover up the cheating, too, which is why they didn't tell Tendler about the intervention.

The usual types who have some kind of antisemitic, MRA-like hatred of Tendler will always try to make it seem like she's entirely at fault, but I am never going to forget that you guys insisted she was a Jewish princess leaching off her husband spending all his money like a greedy Jew and refusing to get a job, only for us to find out that she was a Ph.D. who was working at the Smithsonian. Nothing you guys say can be taken seriously.

by Anonymousreply 24May 9, 2023 10:50 AM

I was pretty shocked he admitted to the doctor thing. That's the kind of thing that happens to addicts and you never tell a soul.

by Anonymousreply 25May 9, 2023 11:04 AM

Kind of boring stand up special. I laughed a few moments but it isn't memorable.

by Anonymousreply 26May 9, 2023 11:12 AM

Funny

by Anonymousreply 27May 9, 2023 11:15 AM

It was a little heavy on the addiction, but that’s an addict for ya.

He still made me laugh a bit.

by Anonymousreply 28May 9, 2023 11:19 AM

I couldn't finish it.

by Anonymousreply 29May 9, 2023 2:14 PM

[Quote]I couldn't finish it.

Neither could I.

by Anonymousreply 30May 9, 2023 2:21 PM

[quote] I couldn't finish it.

I paused it. Read a thread on it on DL and then finished it. A lot of people expressed in this thread and a couple of others how I felt about it, such as r19. Though I agree with the WP review he’s still presenting a controlled facade, nonetheless it’s a darker one than before.

But what I disagree with the WP review about is he is better when he’s letting it all hang out. The reviewer seemed to think that the earlier shows (called “From Scratch” before he got it polished up for the Baby J special) were better because they were messier. But John Mulaney isn’t about being raw. His whole shtick is talking about some painful and dark shit while making it digestible and funny. If you want a raw and messy performance than you want a different comic.

by Anonymousreply 31May 9, 2023 3:54 PM

*then you want

by Anonymousreply 32May 9, 2023 3:54 PM

[quote] In an attempt to build anticipation, some directors show the audience filing in;

They did this once for a Margaret Cho special, but they added a voiceover of Cho as her mother, cheerfully commenting on the audience members's enthusiasm and welcoming them in. It was very funny.

by Anonymousreply 33May 9, 2023 4:03 PM

I never liked him before - I thought he came across as an insufferable prick.

This special made me like him. He seems humbled and real and I found parts sad, real and funny but in a painful way.

by Anonymousreply 34May 9, 2023 4:18 PM

I find him rather sexy.

by Anonymousreply 35May 9, 2023 4:30 PM

I don't get it -- he's not really that funny. There are many other far funnier comedians out there who don't get all the acclaim and access to the world that Mulaney does. He must be a very shrewd self-promoter.

by Anonymousreply 36May 9, 2023 4:33 PM

I had to wonder if taking off his shirt was all he did to score pills.

by Anonymousreply 37May 9, 2023 6:37 PM

Not mentioning the wife and the divorce, beyond a brief mention in the song, and bragging how many stars attended his intervention really made him look like an ass (is he saving the divorce for another special?). To me, it made him look immature and shallow. The only interesting, or hilarious part, was the one with the doctor prescribing him drugs and wanting him to take off his shirt. You just know he did more than Bob Saget for the drugs in 1998's Rehab.

by Anonymousreply 38May 9, 2023 7:14 PM

I thought it was very sweet of Jimmy Kimmel to let John live with him for a few weeks after he got out of rehab.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 9, 2023 11:21 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40May 19, 2023 6:34 AM

God help me, but Baby J is what I put on at night to fall asleep to and I find it soothing and funny.

by Anonymousreply 41May 19, 2023 11:46 AM

His ex wife has a new man, I am happy for her.

I just read that Munn removed Mulaney's tags on Instagram, could there be trouble in paradise?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42June 5, 2023 1:35 AM

Olivia Munn removed tags of John Mulaney from her photos on IG? (Reddit thread link)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43June 5, 2023 1:37 AM

R43, did you read that at R42?

by Anonymousreply 44June 5, 2023 1:42 AM

It's amusing but lackluster.

I think he wants people to say he's not funny or charming now so he will have at least two excuses—self-loathing and comedy prowess—to go back to drugs.

Wanda Sykes's new standup on Netflix is hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 45June 5, 2023 1:44 AM

I think he is still with Olivia. I think he didn't want to look like an ass leaving her because of the baby so he stuck around, but I can see him looking for an out.

by Anonymousreply 46June 5, 2023 1:55 AM

From Reddit

[quote]I’m friends with one of the strippers he cheated with. Her mental and physical health has gone so far downhill since she met him. When I first met her, she didn’t have a drug problem. Now she’s in and out of the hospital from overdoses. It’s hard not to blame him since he had so much power and influence over her. The whole thing is fucked up.

by Anonymousreply 47June 5, 2023 3:03 AM

I used to think he was hot in his own way...until I discovered how impossiibly fucked up he is. Or seems to be.

by Anonymousreply 48June 5, 2023 3:13 AM

I have to say, R31, that while I love John's tailored, lacquered comedy specials, I was in hysterics when I saw "From Scratch" live at The Wilbur in Boston. It was so exciting and raw. I had splurged on front row tickets and he was RIGHT THERE, inches from my face. It was totally fascinating. He'd aged. He'd put on a bit of weight. You could palpably feel his nervous energy. The guy had cultivated a clean, tight reputation and then watched it all unravel, and it really felt like he was choosing to lean into his insecurities and flaws instead of hiding behind a mask. His mannerisms were looser. More cussing. Lots of spontaneous crowd work. For the first time John Mulaney felt like an actual real flesh and blood person and not some perfectly manicured joke machine.

Compared to the electric atmosphere of From Scratch, Baby J felt a bit static and tame. However, I was glad there were some new bits. The story about pawning the Rolex, I believe that was new to me. And I loved the acknowledgement of his dilemma about having to do an entire show about drugs knowing there was an 11 year old 5th grader in the audience.

by Anonymousreply 49June 5, 2023 3:33 AM

[quote]His ex wife has a new man, I am happy for her.

Someone needs to warn Chef Nicholas Tran.

by Anonymousreply 50June 5, 2023 1:39 PM

I watched it. Not funnay.

by Anonymousreply 51June 5, 2023 1:44 PM

I agree with those who say his past comedy was a funny veneer layered over darkness. (Maybe those of us who’ve experienced the weirdness of an Irish Catholic upbringing can see it?)

Anyway, I don’t need non-stop jokes. I like a well-told story, and a few good laughs. He shared details from a very dark time in his life and made me laugh. I like him and wish him well.

by Anonymousreply 52June 5, 2023 2:36 PM

I appreciated when he told a fucked up story about scoring drugs, and it's clearly a pretty fucked up moment in his life, and then he adds "And that's one of the stories I was willing to tell in public" at which point it becomes very clear that these stand-up stories are just the tip of the iceberg.

by Anonymousreply 53June 5, 2023 2:41 PM

I’m watching SmartLess on Max

by Anonymousreply 54June 5, 2023 2:47 PM

I really have some weird love/ hate with drug addicts, so it's tough to like him. I used to partake in casual drug use when I was young, along with other friends, and the ones that became addicts always either 1) died 2) recovered but became sanctimonious fucks. Sure they play the part of "oh it was my decision", but if you really listen they still play victim and they love lecturing about drug use.

by Anonymousreply 55June 5, 2023 3:31 PM

It’s like watching a train wreck. You can’t stop watching.

by Anonymousreply 56June 5, 2023 3:47 PM

[quote] I’m friends with one of the strippers he cheated with. Her mental and physical health has gone so far downhill since she met him. When I first met her, she didn’t have a drug problem. Now she’s in and out of the hospital from overdoses. It’s hard not to blame him since he had so much power and influence over her. The whole thing is fucked up.

The friend is blaming John for the stripper’s decline in mental health?

by Anonymousreply 57June 5, 2023 3:53 PM

Well John may have had a damaging effect if not actual responsibility.

by Anonymousreply 58June 5, 2023 4:35 PM

Unless he kidnapped hookers and forcefed them drugs, I refuse to blame John Mulaney for a strippers descent into addiction. If we are gonna do that, then let's let John off the hook and blame whoever offered him his first line of coke, and then go ahead and blame that person for the stripper's addiction. You see where I'm going with this? We each make our own choices.

by Anonymousreply 59June 5, 2023 4:37 PM

Celebrity gives stripper drugs. Power imbalance. Damaging for stripper.

It doesn’t make him responsible for her downfall, but he’s not a good person either.

by Anonymousreply 60June 5, 2023 4:54 PM

But celebrity worship means more than the life of a stripper.

by Anonymousreply 61June 5, 2023 4:55 PM

People blame Andy Dick for giving his wife cocaine at a party and her going off the rails and killing Phil Hartman. It would be the same thing with Mulaney leading the stripper to go off the rails.

by Anonymousreply 62June 6, 2023 3:35 AM

Our daughter introduced us to JM with the salt n pepper diner & it was love all the way after that. We saw him in concert whenever possible. And how great for me - a Chinese Jewish girl who had grown up with enough anti-Semitic bullshit to last infinite lifetimes.

And how much he loved his wife! How much she had helped him to stand up for himself and be a man! No more getting fucked over by Delta Airline for adorable Johnny - not with feisty, pretty Ann Marie by his side!

And it was all a lie.

It’s hard for Jewish women to see themselves portrayed not as Gal Godot or Natalie Portman; but instead as overweight, outer borough yentas, desperate to marry a doctah.

So John’s rhapsodic love for his wife (which was a big part of his act) was in fact….an act.

I should have known when Trump heinous -nous was in flower and Johnny’s big political zinger was comparing him (not referring to Trump by name or office)to a wild horse running through the White House. Yes, honey, that’s what this evil POS was like - a wild horsie kicking up his heels in a place he shouldn’t be. Tee hee!

Also, Olivia Munn, although gorgeous, would attend the opening of your refrigerator so I hope she does right by the baby and buys him/her a nice Mary Poppins.

As for John Muhlaney - he is dead to me.

by Anonymousreply 63June 6, 2023 4:19 AM

[quote] Celebrity gives stripper drugs. Power imbalance. Damaging for stripper.

It’s not a power imbalance unless he used his celebrity to force her to do things she didn’t want to do. Just because a celebrity is exciting and glamorous, or whatever the attraction is, doesn’t create a power imbalance that absolves people of the responsibility of their choices.

by Anonymousreply 64June 6, 2023 9:04 AM

R63 Do you think you're clever? Your typing is just obtuse. Did you want to join the conversation?

by Anonymousreply 65June 6, 2023 9:08 AM

I watched it the other day with a "normie" friend of mine. He didn't like its overly drug-related tales. I found it hilarious because, at one time, I was a silly pothead. But I grew up and found out I don't have an addictive personality.

I think he's very funny, but he is very much a different kind of comedian than say, George Carlin. Much more self-deprecating. He has a more common touch and not exactly "deep thinking." But I very much enjoy his humor and the special was alright.

by Anonymousreply 66June 6, 2023 10:17 AM

There is a power imbalance between a stripper and a preppy, celebrated comedian celebrity. Wake up.

by Anonymousreply 67June 6, 2023 9:17 PM

There is no power imbalance if you are not being threatened in some way. Such as loss of employment or physical harm. Take fucking responsibility for your choices.

by Anonymousreply 68June 6, 2023 10:15 PM

His ex wife was suicidal at the end of their marriage and her dog helped her through

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69June 8, 2023 2:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!