Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Detroit neurosurgeon mysteriously found shot to death at home over the weekend

Get on the case DL detectives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600May 21, 2023 10:47 PM

Top grades.

RIP

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 26, 2023 5:33 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2April 26, 2023 5:37 AM

[quote][italic] A neurosurgeon, Hoover, 53, was beloved by his neighbors who said off-camera he was the anchor of the tightly-knit neighborhood. He had turned his historic home into a museum-like gem on W. Boston Boulevard.[/italic]

Hmmm.

(I’m not implying anything!)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 26, 2023 5:43 AM

Grindr hookup gone wrong!

It had to be said. True or not. This is DL.

And...

He was intelligent, attractive, AND great with his hands...but he couldn't live forever. I just don't currently know any 50+ yr olds with the name "Devon". It seems Dr. Devon wasn't a narcissistic douchebag as happens so much of the time with surgeons.

So who did it? Grindr hookup? Drug dealer? I'll be waiting for DL's resident detectives to do their thing.

by Anonymousreply 4April 26, 2023 5:52 AM

He looks kind of like Powers Boothe @R2. Hot.

by Anonymousreply 5April 26, 2023 5:57 AM

There are a few other photos floating around. The "hot" ones weren't current. Sadly.

From the linked article:

"Hoover was found wrapped in a sheet in the attic of his home with a single gunshot wound. Police also said his car was found dumped in a separate location."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 26, 2023 6:13 AM

One of his friends and neighbors (a mortician no less) has written the following on his Facebook page:

[quote] Devon Hoover was an exceptional person in nearly every way. A loving son and brother, a brilliant, accomplished surgeon, an unrivaled collector and caretaker of all things beautiful, and a champion of art and culture. But perhaps most admirably, he was beyond generous with his time and his treasure. He was one of the first neighbors to take me under their wing, offering old house advice, support, and kindness all along the way. Hospitality was certainly his specialty as he never hesitated to open his spectacular home to countless neighbors, friends, and charitable organizations. For a man small in stature, he was indeed larger than life. Like so many of our friends and neighbors, Nhu and I are still in shock and totally heartbroken. I pray that there’s a heaven and that Devon is there now, drinking wine and resting from his many labors. May his good life be remembered and may his memory be eternal. - Paddy Lynch

by Anonymousreply 7April 26, 2023 6:28 AM

There's a Facebook group set up called Justice for Dr. Devon Hoover. The posts are mostly from former patients or spouses/parents of patients. One woman said that he helped save her daughter's life after a brain injury. One guy posted about owning an antique shop and that the surgeon was a customer of his for years. If it turns out the surgeon led some kind of double life and was engaged in shady things, I would feel bad for the patients and others who knew him because it would probably break their hearts.

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2023 2:39 PM

[quote] Get on the case DL detectives.

The answer is

[quote] Detroit

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2023 2:41 PM

Still looking through the FB group. There's a woman who said that she cut his hair for years and at the time he had a partner during the years she was cutting his hair.

by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2023 2:46 PM

He let a woman cut his hair?

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2023 2:53 PM

He is really cute. This is not the first time a wealthy older gay guy in Detroit was killed by a hookup.

by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2023 2:54 PM

A partner? So what was their business? Were they sharing a neurosurgeon practice downtown?

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2023 2:57 PM

This is utterly tragic and very, very sad.

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2023 2:58 PM

I'd be pissed if someone made a crack about my height in a memorial remembrance

by Anonymousreply 15April 26, 2023 3:03 PM

r3 What do you call this style house?

by Anonymousreply 16April 26, 2023 3:05 PM

R15 I suspect you’d be beyond caring at that point.

by Anonymousreply 17April 26, 2023 3:07 PM

[quote]I pray that there’s a heaven and that Devon is there now, drinking wine and resting from his many labors

Precisely the ancient image of the deified Hercules.

by Anonymousreply 18April 26, 2023 3:10 PM

The neighbor's memorial post at R7 reminds me a bit of Viola Davis' failed social media tribute post to Leslie Jordan.

by Anonymousreply 19April 26, 2023 3:10 PM

My gut instinct is he did get involved with the wrong rough trade. Some unstable dick that ended up killing him.

by Anonymousreply 20April 26, 2023 3:12 PM

Either that or he botched a surgery. My violent fantasies scared me after my mom was killed by an incompetent oncologist.

by Anonymousreply 21April 26, 2023 3:14 PM

Jeez, you get a lot of house for the money in Detroit.

But money can’t buy you love. Or even a pleasant evening with a hustler.

by Anonymousreply 22April 26, 2023 3:16 PM

Dateline's gonna be alllllll over this one. On a side note, I would never want a home that big (rich or not).

by Anonymousreply 23April 26, 2023 3:18 PM

That is a laughably big home for one person.

by Anonymousreply 24April 26, 2023 3:22 PM

I’d never want to be alone in a house that big.

I wouldn’t mind owning it, but I’d feel safer if someone else was there when I was and when I wasn’t.

by Anonymousreply 25April 26, 2023 3:24 PM

In the FB group, a person who seemed to know him personally mentions that someone was living with him recently. No gender is mentioned. I think some people are being vague on certain details due to possible homophobia from the former patients posting in that group. Years ago, I was involved in a gay and lesbian organization in an area I used to live in. There were a couple of older members who had retired from healthcare. One was a guy was a nurse practitioner and a woman who was a physical therapist. The NP said that when he worked in bedside nursing at hospitals, he kept quiet about his personal life because he would overhear patients, visitors, hospital employees, and others saying gay slurs. When he worked in clinics as an NP, he was out with staff members, but not with patients. He told us a story about how towards the end of his working career, a patient at a clinic asked the receptionist if he was single because her sister was a widow and she wanted her sister to start dating again. The physical therapist said similar things she had supportive co-workers, but was never out with patients. She said in physical therapy she only saw a good amount of her patients for short periods of time. The NP said his situation was difficult as he saw a lot of patients for years before he retired.

by Anonymousreply 26April 26, 2023 3:28 PM

Investigators need to check his stomach and rectum for DNA. If found, it would almost certainly lead them to the murderer.

by Anonymousreply 27April 26, 2023 5:45 PM

The NY Post says his shooting is believed to have been "a domestic incident," but no further details are provided.

by Anonymousreply 28April 26, 2023 5:50 PM

Was his dungeon in the attic? The sling and restraints are a good indicator…

by Anonymousreply 29April 26, 2023 5:57 PM

‘Domestic’ is police jargon for sexual. Either you are or were fucking the person who attacked you, or you begat the person (by fucking).

I don’t think this particular guy did a lot of begatting.

by Anonymousreply 30April 26, 2023 6:01 PM

R26 said

by Anonymousreply 31April 26, 2023 6:06 PM

Who gets his stuff?

by Anonymousreply 32April 26, 2023 6:09 PM

His home was a museum-quality historic restoration. Now there are blood stains on the antique Persian rug and parkay floor. Probably bullet hole damage in one of the walls too. Shame that in the heat of an argument nobody thinks about the house.

by Anonymousreply 33April 26, 2023 6:10 PM

I keep hearing of serial killers around the Chicago area and other cities. Could this be one of those? I hate reading about senseless murders of someone who had the ability to help keep people alive through medicine. I think we need to bump to the top of our DL Detective Agency caseload. Can we use this thread or do we need start a new one, OP?

by Anonymousreply 34April 26, 2023 6:16 PM

R34 Actually, if the police just gave the evidence they collected to DL to examine, we could figure it out, and we'd do it for free.

by Anonymousreply 35April 26, 2023 6:20 PM

It starts with a basket. Let's put together a basket!

by Anonymousreply 36April 26, 2023 6:37 PM

[quote] parkay floor

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 37April 26, 2023 6:39 PM

Parkay!

by Anonymousreply 38April 26, 2023 6:40 PM

He lived.

He was present.

He took up space.

by Anonymousreply 39April 26, 2023 6:40 PM

[quote] Either that or he botched a surgery. My violent fantasies scared me after my mom was killed by an incompetent oncologist.

I kind of get what you're saying. My dad had heart surgery in 2012 and he had complications several days later. He did survive and had to have a second surgery done. It was done in a VA hospital and that doesn't have a great reputation.. For the past 11 years, I don't have a whole lot of confidence in healthcare professionals or healthcare systems in this country. I try to take a grey approach to healthcare professionals I know some healthcare professionals are decent and competent and others are incompetent. From reading the Facebook group post on Hoover,, the consensus from the patients posting was that he listened to their concerns and didn't dismiss them, didn't rush them out of appointments, and had a good bedside manner post op.

I might sound like an asshole, but at the same time I have to wonder if the patients and others posting in that group are only gung-ho for justice because the guy was a well respected surgeon. Again, I know I'll like an asshole, but you just know some of the group members probably read about other murders and shootings around Detroit and just go about their day. But, in this case they care about justice because it was a surgeon they knew. I feel bad for writing that, there is classism and bias in this country and situations in which people only care about crime and violence when it happens to high earning professionals. The people in the group seem to be in agreement that was a domestic situation and not random burglary/murder because the body was in the attic wrapped in a sheet.

by Anonymousreply 40April 26, 2023 6:47 PM

There are 7 years of five-star reviews at the R1 link. Of course that isn't proof he was a great neurosurgeon, but it is unusual to read such unqualified praise for a doctor.

by Anonymousreply 41April 26, 2023 7:09 PM

R41 so I guess the one-star review was the trick with the gun?

by Anonymousreply 42April 26, 2023 7:17 PM

R41 I also thought was unusual. In the past, I have wondered if doctors have friends or colleagues post fake reviews on review sites to boost up their reputations. With the Facebook group, I find some of the posts from patients to be a little awkward as some of them acted like they were buddies with him. The guy was probably kind to them for professional reasons and he probably didn't want to have the "arrogant God complex" that a lot of surgeons are known for. I'm glad whenever doctors, nurses, or others in healthcare are kind, but in the back in of my head I know they are doing it to be professional and i'm likely seen as a "customer/client" and not a patient in their view.

by Anonymousreply 43April 26, 2023 7:23 PM

[quote] I try to take a grey approach to healthcare professionals

What does this mean, "take a grey approach"?

by Anonymousreply 44April 26, 2023 7:28 PM

His car was found dumped in a separate location. Why? His body was left in the home.

by Anonymousreply 45April 26, 2023 7:43 PM

Never mind, the killer probably used it to make his getaway.

by Anonymousreply 46April 26, 2023 7:46 PM

Who made the request for the welfare check?

by Anonymousreply 47April 26, 2023 8:00 PM

[quote] What does this mean, "take a grey approach

It means I don't have a black and white view of healthcare professionals. I know there are some good ones, and some bad ones. I have known some people who have either the attitude that all healthcare professionals are competent and others who think all healthcare professionals are incompetent. Like I said in my previous post, I still don't have a lot of confidence overall in healthcare in general. I do think the surgeon in this case was probably better than other surgeons out there.

by Anonymousreply 48April 26, 2023 8:05 PM

14,000 square foot house? He probably took in strays and let them stay, if they did odd jobs around the place.

And who cleaned this place on a regular basis? Did he have a weekly maid or service (or houseboy)? They'd probably know something.

by Anonymousreply 49April 26, 2023 8:20 PM

R43- The doctor in the Bob Lee murder also has perfect , glowing reviews except for one women who felt he mislead her about the length of recovery time for her procedure. He is the murderers brother-in-law, possibly gay and married to the druggie sister of the man who killed Lee, but I digress. It has nothing to do with this case so I suppose I have just wasted your time. 😁 The body was covered which is usually indicative of remorse, isn't it?

by Anonymousreply 50April 26, 2023 8:23 PM

R49 I'm thinking it was a hook up gone wrong or some day worker who had access to the house. The fact that he was wrapped in a sheet in the attic is bizarre. Maybe the perp thought it would by him time when he left. Because of course once they found him dead, his car would be the next thing they track. The Boston Edison Historic District is a gentrified area in Detroit, surrounded by sketchy areas. It would not be unusual for someone who worked a party at his house, or did landscaping for a doctor to think he might have drugs on the premises. But the wrapped body in the attic tells me it didn't go down that way. I think it was a lover.

by Anonymousreply 51April 26, 2023 8:39 PM

[quote]Now there are blood stains on the antique Persian rug and parkay floor.

I guarantee if you had a floor made of butter, you'd have blood stains from slipping on it, too.

by Anonymousreply 52April 26, 2023 8:52 PM

[quote]I think it was a lover.

Are you typing from the 70s?

by Anonymousreply 53April 26, 2023 8:52 PM

[quote]except for one women who felt he mislead her

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 54April 26, 2023 8:53 PM

A guy on Facebook posted about delivering mail to the house. He says the doctor was always nice and that tenants who had lived at the house were also nice.

by Anonymousreply 55April 26, 2023 8:53 PM

geez if there is anyone we can't afford to lose, it's a Dr. and a good one at that.

by Anonymousreply 56April 26, 2023 8:55 PM

[quote] I'd be pissed if someone made a crack about my height in a memorial remembrance.

Was he the Leslie Jordan of Detroit?

by Anonymousreply 57April 26, 2023 9:10 PM

It could have been someone wanting drugs, but I doubt that. It could also be another Andrew Cunanan (sic) type killer, but not likely. He was a collector. He may have had very expensive collections or art, but robbery wasn't mentioned by investigators.

by Anonymousreply 58April 26, 2023 9:38 PM

For Miss R33's enlightenment:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59April 26, 2023 9:39 PM

[quote]but robbery wasn't mentioned by investigators.

No, but domestic violence was, so why are we still speculating bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 60April 26, 2023 9:43 PM

The new Parkay.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61April 26, 2023 9:54 PM

I looked at the FB group and some drama went down with a few people saying that speculations about the surgeon's personal life such as sexuality shouldn't be discussed in the group. Apparently, jokes were being made about the surgeon. There are people posting as "anonymous participants" and one person said her or she has known the surgeon and his family for a long time. The surgeon's mom has cancer and hasn't been doing well.

by Anonymousreply 62April 27, 2023 4:15 AM

Can I have his things?

by Anonymousreply 63April 27, 2023 4:28 AM

R61- I can't believe it's not butter!

by Anonymousreply 64April 27, 2023 4:36 AM

Dr. H was somewhat known in the gay community in Detroit. He also was a frequent visitor of BZ - Body Zone gay bathhouse in Detroit, which wasn’t far from where he lived. He had a thing for young black guys, and would sometimes bring a group back to his house to party and play. I’m sure more will come out in the days ahead.

by Anonymousreply 65April 27, 2023 3:37 PM

Outwardly "respectable" doctor gay who loved thug cock - and it came back to haunt him. There's "thug" the aesthetic, which some non-thug men can pull off. Then there's "thug" the criminal reality.

by Anonymousreply 66April 27, 2023 3:47 PM

R16: “ What do you call this style house?”

Early American Homo?

A 3-story closet?

by Anonymousreply 67April 27, 2023 4:25 PM

Thanks for starting this thread. I am at my desk and on it. Will report back if I come across anything worthy.

- Jennifer Hart

by Anonymousreply 68April 27, 2023 4:40 PM

Should have stayed away from that dark meat. It'll get you in the end.

by Anonymousreply 69April 27, 2023 4:44 PM

Twice.

by Anonymousreply 70April 27, 2023 4:46 PM

[quote] Dr. H was somewhat known in the gay community in Detroit. He also was a frequent visitor of BZ - Body Zone gay bathhouse in Detroit, which wasn’t far from where he lived. He had a thing for young black guys, and would sometimes bring a group back to his house to party and play. I’m sure more will come out in the days ahead.

Thank you for this insight. I have taken down notes for a possible limited series. I have to look through my actors catalogue and see which one could play Dr. H.

by Anonymousreply 71April 27, 2023 4:49 PM

I remember a simpler time, when thug love only involved shots of NARCAN and Ceftriaxone, not a .22

by Anonymousreply 72April 27, 2023 5:17 PM

[quote]His home was a museum-quality historic restoration. Now there are blood stains on the antique Persian rug and parkay floor.

We call it a "maize floor."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 27, 2023 5:35 PM

Tasteful Friends need to flag this house for when it comes up for probate sale, and we get a look inside.

There's more than likely a "bonus room" or two.

by Anonymousreply 74April 27, 2023 6:18 PM

[quote] Should have stayed away from that dark meat. It'll get you in the end.

Yeah, but dark dick is some of the biggest and best. BBC is real, and it’s real real in Detroit. Just have to be careful and selective. Especially because pretty much everyone in the city is pack’n a handgun these days.

by Anonymousreply 75April 27, 2023 6:28 PM

[quote] Tasteful Friends need to flag this house for when it comes up for probate sale, and we get a look inside. There's more than likely a "bonus room" or two.

He purchased it in 2007 for $750,000. Estimated value today is around $1.2M

by Anonymousreply 76April 27, 2023 6:38 PM

^ Being the scene of a murder, they might have to shave a little bit off that $1.2 million.

by Anonymousreply 77April 27, 2023 6:40 PM

What was on his iPod?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 27, 2023 6:43 PM

What would Lennie Briscoe have said about this?

by Anonymousreply 79April 27, 2023 6:47 PM

"He's got the whole kink.com funpack down in that basement."

by Anonymousreply 80April 27, 2023 7:01 PM

Love you, Lennie!

by Anonymousreply 81April 27, 2023 7:09 PM

R75 thankfully I’m a top, so no need for the mess of dark meat. STDs and personal drama are too much to deal with when you’re just trying to blow your load.

by Anonymousreply 82April 27, 2023 7:11 PM

Ain’t that a kick in the head?

by Anonymousreply 83April 27, 2023 7:17 PM

Well here is the BErry Gordy family mansion also in the Boston Edison district and it is similar in architecture. I was there once about 30 yrs ago. It had an indoor pool, and outdoor pool and a bowling alley. Two lanes. That neighborhood has seen an incredible revival. When I was a little kid in the 70's it was a scary area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84April 27, 2023 7:26 PM

Does anyone remember the '70s murder case of a Tampa neurosurgeon who also liked thug dick and would fly to New Orleans for it, picking up trade in ghetto pool halls.

He was murdered and his body taken to the Almontaster Dump in New Orleans East.

There was a book about the case, but I can't find it with an internet search.

by Anonymousreply 85April 27, 2023 7:44 PM

[quote] [R75] thankfully I’m a top, so no need for the mess of dark meat. STDs and personal drama are too much to deal with when you’re just trying to blow your load.

Blow your load while I blow your head off - not what I think the Dr had in mind.

by Anonymousreply 86April 27, 2023 7:53 PM

Goddamn DL, they don't even have any suspects and all of the klan grannies are self lubing. Fuck this place is a cesspit

by Anonymousreply 87April 27, 2023 7:57 PM

R47 It sounds like someone from his family may have asked for the wellness check, since there are other reports saying WXYZ Detroit news reported:

[quote] The station reports that Hoover was supposed to be visiting family in Indiana over the weekend. When he did not arrive, the well-being check reportedly was requested.

by Anonymousreply 88April 27, 2023 8:08 PM

Do you think Doc was into kinky? Maybe he upset someone who killed him and stole his car?

by Anonymousreply 89April 27, 2023 8:09 PM

[quote]Does anyone remember the '70s murder case of a Tampa neurosurgeon who also liked thug dick and would fly to New Orleans for it, picking up trade in ghetto pool halls.

I'm not familiar with that one, but there was a gay plastic surgeon at Tulane who was stabbed to death in his New Orleans home, which was then set on fire, back in 2009. As far as I know, no one was ever charged with his murder.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90April 27, 2023 8:21 PM

It's sad. As far as neurosurgeons go, why couldn't it have been Ben Carson?

by Anonymousreply 91April 27, 2023 8:30 PM

It looks like Dr. Devon came from a Mennonite family or something adjacent. Six sisters, yikes! That's alotta heart attacks had he come out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 92April 27, 2023 8:31 PM

Do we know if he died of natural causes?

by Anonymousreply 93April 27, 2023 8:34 PM

He was the only attractive one in the family

by Anonymousreply 94April 27, 2023 8:41 PM

R92 Google Devon Hoover Mennonite and a Mennonite Heritage Tour lists him as a former tour member.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95April 27, 2023 8:49 PM

R92 I’m getting slight lesbian vibes from the sister on the far right - in the blue T shirt and white skirt. Anybody else with me on this?

by Anonymousreply 96April 27, 2023 9:06 PM

It seems really clean for just a random thug - a single bullet; wrapped in a sheet. Though if it was a prior guest then maybe he had it all planned out.

by Anonymousreply 97April 27, 2023 9:10 PM

A local artist-curator was at a wine-art party at his house a few years ago, and she took this photo of a cloisonné piece in his collection that she admired.

One can get a glimpse of what it must be like inside that place.

I imagine that framed photo in the background might be him with mom?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 27, 2023 9:26 PM

There's going to be one helluva yard sale.

by Anonymousreply 99April 27, 2023 9:29 PM

R99 He was a gay with impeccable taste

by Anonymousreply 100April 27, 2023 9:45 PM

Wrapped in a sheet? That's so ghetto.

At least we use rugs.

by Anonymousreply 101April 27, 2023 9:55 PM

[quote] R55 A guy on Facebook posted about delivering mail to the house. He says the doctor was always nice and that tenants who had lived at the house were also nice.

Tenants who had lived at the house? Weird phrasing.

by Anonymousreply 102April 27, 2023 9:59 PM

So he had renters? I guess he was putting that big house to use.

by Anonymousreply 103April 27, 2023 10:02 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104April 27, 2023 10:07 PM

Maybe, the renters were male college students. Another possibility would be traveling nurses.

by Anonymousreply 105April 27, 2023 10:07 PM

Maybe they weren't really renters, but just the "live-in help."

House Boy (no less than three for this size house)

Personal Assistant

Butler

Personal Chef

Chauffeur (There's a separate four-car garage with living quarters above.)

Personal Trainer

Gardener (You might need two, the yards are huge.)

Pool Boy, or something, as the overhead image shows something was being constructed in the back yard.

by Anonymousreply 106April 27, 2023 10:32 PM

The house filled with antiques reminds me of that queen from Midnight in the Garden of Evil

by Anonymousreply 107April 27, 2023 10:39 PM

R75 It's all yours. I'm not into thug fucking.

by Anonymousreply 108April 27, 2023 10:55 PM

Q. How was he shot? A. "Mysteriously" Q. ?

by Anonymousreply 109April 27, 2023 10:56 PM

[quote]I’m getting slight lesbian vibes from the sister on the far right - in the blue T shirt and white skirt. Anybody else with me on this?

I think I can see cat hairs strewn across her clothes, so yeah, a big lezzie that one.

by Anonymousreply 110April 27, 2023 11:12 PM

Where did the NY Post and the Sun get the idea that this was domestic?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111April 27, 2023 11:16 PM

R111 Local Detroit Fox2 indicates that police made reference to it maybe being "tied to a domestic situation."

[quote] Devon Hoover was found dead inside his home on Boston Boulevard in Detroit Sunday night, according to police. They said it could be tied to a domestic situation.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112April 27, 2023 11:45 PM

Latest from the FB group is one of Hoover's nieces is posting there.

by Anonymousreply 113April 27, 2023 11:46 PM

R97, the Detroit Free Press now says there were multiple gunshots to his head, which makes the crime sound more impulsive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114April 28, 2023 12:20 AM

Someone wanted more money and he refused.

by Anonymousreply 115April 28, 2023 12:23 AM

You have to wonder what he could have done to make someone so mad they’d shoot him in the head.

by Anonymousreply 116April 28, 2023 2:16 AM

Someone on social media posted that they heard on the news that his mother died today. She had not been told he was killed.

by Anonymousreply 117April 28, 2023 2:32 AM

A serial killer targeting the family??

by Anonymousreply 118April 28, 2023 3:05 AM

[quote]Investigators need to check his stomach and rectum for DNA. If found, it would almost certainly lead them to the murderer.

You'd think, but NOOOOOOO ...

by Anonymousreply 119April 28, 2023 3:18 AM

Gun shots to the head and stuffing him in the attic is unusual. Why wouldn't you just run. Unless if were ok for the assailant to be in the home. So he was buying himself some time and/or plotting his alibi. Just a thought. All I know is if I shot someone in the heat of the moment and they lived in a big house alone, I'd get the fuck out of there. However, if someone else were with me and we started to think through things together I can see moving the body somewhere out of site. Had a few puffs and these thoughts came to me. Max is making me another brandy. Jonathan is playing in a Member Guest in the Desert.

by Anonymousreply 120April 28, 2023 3:27 AM

R120 Here. Meant to sign off-

Jennifer Hart

by Anonymousreply 121April 28, 2023 3:28 AM

"Someone on social media posted that they heard on the news that his mother died today. She had not been told he was killed. "

If true, I think that's so lucky and fantastic. She doesn't have to face her son's death before passing.

by Anonymousreply 122April 28, 2023 5:42 AM

[quote] R97], the Detroit Free Press now says there were multiple gunshots to his head, which makes the crime sound more impulsive

Maybe a DP scenario or spit roasting gone bad? Or a gang bang that got out of control.

by Anonymousreply 123April 28, 2023 1:05 PM

Yes, Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, guy, the one played by Kevin Spacey in that movie. Maybe it happened the way it did in the movie. Maybe the Good Doctor wanted to throw some out and they fought and he got shot. He may have had an argument with a lover or former lover who was staying with him. Maybe one of his "tenants" brought drugs or rough trade into the house and the Doctor told him he had to go. It clearly wasn't well thought out, because the perp stole his car and that was a dumb move.

by Anonymousreply 124April 28, 2023 2:23 PM

Detroit PD are interviewing a person of interest in the case now and expect to give an update later today. They have stressed that the public is not in danger.

by Anonymousreply 125April 28, 2023 5:59 PM

[quote] Detroit PD are interviewing a person of interest in the case now

And no hint about the perp identity or circumstances. That usually just means one thing.

by Anonymousreply 126April 28, 2023 6:26 PM

[quote] They have stressed that the public is not in danger.

Is that code for: Only homosexuals who bring hustlers into their home are in danger?

by Anonymousreply 127April 28, 2023 6:29 PM

"They have stressed that the public is not in danger." They said that about me as well.

by Anonymousreply 128April 28, 2023 9:25 PM

Can we guess what the unrelated charges were?

===============================================

"Police Chief James White said the man was arrested on unrelated charges Friday morning. His name and the charges were not released.

"The latest development follows the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office confirming that Dr. Devon Hoover was shot multiple times in the head. His death was ruled a homicide.

"White said investigators believe Hoover knew the man but declined to comment further.

"'That person is there for an unrelated charge but we are confident that this person has information about what transpired,' the chief told reporters at a news briefing."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129April 28, 2023 9:45 PM

[quote]the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office confirming that Dr. Devon Hoover was shot multiple times in the head. His death was ruled a homicide.

Gee, thanks there, Doc. We thought it was the worst case of suicide we ever saw.

by Anonymousreply 130April 28, 2023 9:57 PM

Based on the services, he must be Roman Catholic. And that Cathedral is so close to where he lived that you can probably see it from the upper floors of the house and back yard.

Okay who from DL is going? Someone needs to scope out the mourners in the back row.

Services:

Visitation: Saturday, April 29

Chas. Verheyden Funeral Home

16300 Mack Avenue

Grosse Pointe Park, MI 48230

12:00 PM - 8:00 PM

Funeral: Sunday April 30

Cathedral of the Most Blessed Sacrament

9844 Woodward Ave.

Detroit, MI 48202

1:30 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131April 29, 2023 5:34 AM

^^^ P.S. Check out the photos and videos at that site.

Sad.

by Anonymousreply 132April 29, 2023 5:40 AM

R132- Thanks for the link. That is incredibly sad, his family must be devastated at losing him, especially because it was such a senseless death. He seemed to be a very kind man and very beloved.

by Anonymousreply 133April 29, 2023 5:52 AM

[quote]r123 Maybe a DP scenario or spit roasting gone bad? Or a gang bang that got out of control.

[quote]r125 Detroit PD have stressed that the public is not in danger.

Well, some of us…

by Anonymousreply 134April 29, 2023 6:17 AM

R38 Parkwhore!

by Anonymousreply 135April 29, 2023 6:25 AM

Wouldn’t the perp must have to be fairly muscular to have carried the victim’s corpse up into the attic? Unless he had some help, or lured the victim up into the attic before killing him.

by Anonymousreply 136April 29, 2023 6:33 AM

^^ I mean “Wouldn’t the perp have to be fairly muscular…” sorry for the wonky grammar.

by Anonymousreply 137April 29, 2023 6:35 AM

Good looking guy and a brain surgeon! What a senseless loss . I bet envy was a motive

by Anonymousreply 138April 29, 2023 7:00 AM

Shot multiple times in the head suggest rage .

by Anonymousreply 139April 29, 2023 7:00 AM

Spurned gym rat BF on steroids.

by Anonymousreply 140April 29, 2023 7:23 AM

Any information on the suspect?

by Anonymousreply 141April 29, 2023 7:42 AM

I actually pray it’s not a gay related murder .

by Anonymousreply 142April 29, 2023 7:54 AM

R136 Maybe the funhouse is up in the attic.

by Anonymousreply 143April 29, 2023 7:55 AM

Hookup gone wrong + roid rage = MTG.

by Anonymousreply 144April 29, 2023 7:57 AM

What a waste ! He really lived a charmed life up to this point . He was beloved by everyone, and a phenomenal surgeon who performed miraculous surgeries. His former gardener said he was so down to earth and generous. Poor guy

by Anonymousreply 145April 29, 2023 8:12 AM

Someone posted on Reddit that he had a live-in BF who played video games all day, and the BF’s mother was the housekeeper. If true, what an awkward living arrangement that must have been.

by Anonymousreply 146April 29, 2023 8:16 AM

Not half as awkward as it must be now.

by Anonymousreply 147April 29, 2023 8:18 AM

This is sounding salacious. It’s still so terribly sad

by Anonymousreply 148April 29, 2023 8:21 AM

"Someone posted on Reddit that he had a live-in BF who played video games all day,"

Yes, it will be some lazy loser in life with no value or worth to society while his victim was a beloved asset to the community.

by Anonymousreply 149April 29, 2023 8:25 AM

If this is true ☝🏼 sounds like a twink

by Anonymousreply 150April 29, 2023 8:27 AM

R71, Ke Huy Quan.

by Anonymousreply 151April 29, 2023 8:36 AM

R150- If the gender were reversed this case would remind me of the Scarsdale diet murder when Jean Harris shot her long time lover, Dr. Herman Tarnover.

by Anonymousreply 152April 29, 2023 8:39 AM

I’m a believer in the after life . I can imagine the shock and heartbreak his mother experienced to be united with her son in next world. Can’t imagine it was a joyful moment. 😢

by Anonymousreply 153April 29, 2023 8:40 AM

Personally, I can't imagine it was anything BUT a joyful moment.

by Anonymousreply 154April 29, 2023 8:43 AM

Those sisters lost their only brother. The parents, their only son. Sad. But I'm keeping an eye on this/these threads.

by Anonymousreply 155April 29, 2023 8:45 AM

Hey! Lennie Briscoe is my name on several boards (e.g., Primetimer)! This one isn't me! J/S!

by Anonymousreply 156April 29, 2023 8:50 AM

Being the only son and gay must have been tough on his parents , particularly dad

by Anonymousreply 157April 29, 2023 9:04 AM

I wonder if his live-in companion was much younger and more of a boy toy than a BF. That power dynamic never ends well.

by Anonymousreply 158April 29, 2023 9:07 AM

As soon as I saw the thread title and the number of posts, I knew there had to be a sordid gay angle.

by Anonymousreply 159April 29, 2023 9:10 AM

R158- Do we know if he hired the housekeeper first and after hiring her he then met her son? I am just curious to know how long she had been employed by him and the timeline on when he met her son.

by Anonymousreply 160April 29, 2023 9:12 AM

We eagerly await the mug shot!

by Anonymousreply 161April 29, 2023 9:13 AM

This will get more riveting

by Anonymousreply 162April 29, 2023 9:13 AM

They said person of interest, not suspect.

by Anonymousreply 163April 29, 2023 9:13 AM

Reportedly partied on weekends with gay escorts, and one of them recently stole his car. Per the Reddit insider.

by Anonymousreply 164April 29, 2023 9:19 AM

I’m dubious about Reddit insiders

by Anonymousreply 165April 29, 2023 9:22 AM

I am too R165, but the housekeeper mother and stolen car are unusually specific details.

by Anonymousreply 166April 29, 2023 9:28 AM

True ☝🏼

by Anonymousreply 167April 29, 2023 9:30 AM

[quote] partied on weekends with gay escorts, and one of them recently stole his car.

So a typical middle aged rich gay guy

by Anonymousreply 168April 29, 2023 9:30 AM

R168, he was not a shallow person from all The accounts on his character etc .

by Anonymousreply 169April 29, 2023 9:39 AM

R169- It doesn't appear to me that anything was wrong or shallow about him , it was the company he kept. Maybe he was too trusting because from what little I have read about him and his closeness to his friends and family, it is easy to believe he may have been too generous, too nice , and too trusting of others who may have been taking advantage of his kindness. Of course we know very little , only what his friends, coworkers, patients neighbors have said, but they all speak very highly of him and what a nice person he was. Sadly, you can't be too nice and trusting in this world now. People are ruthless and armed.

by Anonymousreply 170April 29, 2023 10:51 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 171April 29, 2023 4:20 PM

Can you link the reddit thread? I can't find it and have been searching.

by Anonymousreply 172April 29, 2023 5:04 PM

There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a single guy partying with male escorts on the weekends, as long as he didn’t bother the neighbors. However, it does open one up to risks like blackmail and exploitation, especially if the escorts have not been not vetted properly.

by Anonymousreply 173April 29, 2023 5:11 PM

Yes, people who are paid to suck people's cocks are mentally healthy individuals.

by Anonymousreply 174April 29, 2023 5:16 PM

What about people who pay other people to suck their cocks?

by Anonymousreply 175April 29, 2023 5:22 PM

R175 They don’t pay them to suck their cocks; they pay them to LEAVE.

by Anonymousreply 176April 29, 2023 5:24 PM

Don't open up those floodgates R175....My point was that you can't really vet escorts because only desperate or mentally unwell individuals would escort in the first place. Anyone who uses them is asking for trouble.

That being said , we don't know who shot this guy. It could be anyone at this point.

by Anonymousreply 177April 29, 2023 5:26 PM

Some might say that only desperate or unwell people use escorts

by Anonymousreply 178April 29, 2023 5:33 PM

This is so tragic . What a talented surgeon.

“I met Dr. Hoover in 2008. He did my surgery and is the reason I can walk, have the use of everything. I had a swimming accident and should have been a quadriplegic. He said I’m a walking miracle. He is the reason I could run & play with my kids. He’s the reason I can hug my grandchildren. I will forever tell everyone what an amazing man he was and the true miracle he was. My heart goes out to his family & friends. Just know he was so loved because of his beautiful heart and that comes from who he was and how he was raised. Rest knowing he was truly loved.”

by Anonymousreply 179April 29, 2023 6:00 PM

[quote] There’s absolutely nothing wrong with a single guy partying with male escorts on the weekends, as long as he didn’t bother the neighbors. However, it does open one up to risks like blackmail and exploitation, especially if the escorts have not been not vetted properly.

I think he included some of his neighbors in the parties as a way to buy influence over them that way they wouldn't bitch to a neighborhood association.

by Anonymousreply 180April 29, 2023 6:01 PM

Stop The character assassination on a murder victim!! He was a very decent man

by Anonymousreply 181April 29, 2023 6:07 PM

Considering what he’s done for his patients and the extreme pressure he was under, he deserved to enjoy whatever legal or slightly illicit fun he sought out in his spare time. He certainly didn’t deserve to die for it.

by Anonymousreply 182April 29, 2023 6:09 PM

[quote]R177 Only desperate or mentally unwell individuals would escort in the first place. Anyone who uses them is asking for trouble.

Excuse me…[italic] excuse me![/italic] I was a drag queen CraigsList call girl for a year and I never killed anyone! Or even over charged them.

I didn’t wear my glasses over my makeup. Driving to one guy, as I swerved around the road someone yelled at me, “Learn how to drive, you stupid whore!”

by Anonymousreply 183April 29, 2023 6:21 PM

We don't know he even died for it. Maybe one of his Mennonite sisters killed him in a jealous rage.

by Anonymousreply 184April 29, 2023 6:27 PM

WDIV Local4 in Detroit (NBC) ends its update by reporting, "THE ENTIRE CITY IS TALKING ABOUT THIS!"

by Anonymousreply 185April 29, 2023 7:17 PM

R179- Just a painful loss in everyway. Not only a skilled surgeon, but a doctor who was kind and inspired trust in his patients. That isn't as common as one might believe. I have been very lucky to work with brilliant doctors, but they had no bedside manner at all. Not to judge them harshly, some people just do not have that instinct and warmth, or they do but are unable to express it correctly. Many are very compassionate and fear losing their composure in front of patients. One doctor left me stunned and livid when he informed the patient in a monotone, almost bored manner that she would eventually lose her eyesight due to macular degeneration. He then nonchalantly left her sitting there, stunned. I comforted her as best I could then went flying down the hall after him, seeing red. I found him in his office, silent tears falling from his eyes. My point is that doctors such as this one are are very special. He appeared to have such warmth and compassion, skill and knowledge. His killer will be such an insignificant piece of trash and a kind, brilliant doctor will still have been cheated out of a well deserved life. This one really gets to me . Prediction - Killer will be a meth addicted gamer.

by Anonymousreply 186April 29, 2023 7:44 PM

[quote] Considering what he’s done for his patients and the extreme pressure he was under, he deserved to enjoy whatever legal or slightly illicit fun he sought out in his spare time. He certainly didn’t deserve to die for it.

I read a lot of the patient posts on the Justice for Dr. Hoover FB group and it seems he took on a lot of difficult cases. A good amount of the people who posted said that he performed multiple neck and back surgeries on them. He likely didn't want to let down his repeat surgical patients and could have been stressed. There were posts from people who had said that other surgeons refused to take on their cases before Hoover took them on as patients. He probably always had some fear of possibly fucking up at some point and being subject to a lawsuit.

He didn't deserve to die due to whatever activities he was engaged orr he was involved with. But, if the male escort stuff turns out to be true then I wouldn't be surprised if some of his patients end up souring on him. Some of the patient posts were a bit religious toned like "Dr. Hoover is resting with Jesus" "His hands were blessed by God" "He was a healer" "etc.

I know Michigan has a lesbian attorney general and other state-level gay elected officials. But, is homophobia still rampant there or more specifically in the Detroit area?

by Anonymousreply 187April 29, 2023 7:47 PM

He may have used male escorts because he didn't feel ready for a serious commitment at this time in his life. He was a handsome, talented, wonderful man according to all who spoke on his behalf. Beautifully appointed home with amazing and unique antiques and art. If I had met him and he were straight I would have immediately fallen hopelessly in love with this man. Who wouldn't have?

by Anonymousreply 188April 29, 2023 7:55 PM

[quote]people who posted said that he performed multiple neck and back surgeries on them

He couldn't get it right the first time?

by Anonymousreply 189April 29, 2023 7:59 PM

His charisma. talent, and empathy likely attracted a stalker (or many). Maybe one if them became obsessed and killed him in a jealous rage — an escort, ex-lover, or even a patient of his He’s been described as god-like by many, so it’s entirely plausible that the killer was infatuated with him.

by Anonymousreply 190April 29, 2023 8:03 PM

Since he was supposed to be on his way to Indiana to attend a family event, then one might guess he was trying to get his latest hookup out of the house prior to leaving.

by Anonymousreply 191April 29, 2023 8:10 PM

Hey! You trusted us!!

by Anonymousreply 192April 29, 2023 8:13 PM

R190- Yes, probably someone he been helping out and when he got tired of being used and refused to continue the person became enraged. It could have been anything but shooting a person multiple times in the head shows rage and overkill. Gunshot wounds to the head are gruesome because it usually causes catastrophic damage. It must be very rare to have shoot more than once to be fatal. The killer wrapped them wrapped him in a sheet to hide the body or because he didn't want to look at what he had done. We need a timeline. CCTV footage of the house . A name, something, damnit! Getting very impatient here. ⏳

by Anonymousreply 193April 29, 2023 8:16 PM

R192 When I read about the supposed posts about the supposed boyfriend who played video games all day, I thought of Norman Blanchard and Andrew Cunanan.

by Anonymousreply 194April 29, 2023 8:17 PM

R194- Creepy. Was there ever a motive given for the murders? The rich business owners murder was especially odd and chilling.

by Anonymousreply 195April 29, 2023 8:21 PM

Not just a sheet, a PLASTIC sheet.

I wonder if it was a plastic bed sheet?

Kink?

by Anonymousreply 196April 29, 2023 8:29 PM

[quote] They don’t pay them to suck their cocks; they pay them to LEAVE.

I've paid many men to let me suck their cocks. I did not pay them to leave; I paid them to SHOW UP in the first place.

by Anonymousreply 197April 29, 2023 8:30 PM

There's a post on the Facebook group from a woman who said she worked as a housekeeper at the hospital he worked. She said he was polite and courteous and would stop to talk with her. I honestly find that more impressive about him than the patient stories. I have known a few people who have worked in housekeeping and food services in hospitals. They described those jobs as miserable in part because doctors and nurses were snotty with them.

by Anonymousreply 198April 29, 2023 8:33 PM

R198- Kind and had beautiful manners as well. 😭

by Anonymousreply 199April 29, 2023 8:35 PM

I feel the guy in custody is connected to the case.

by Anonymousreply 200April 29, 2023 9:47 PM

R200 The police have basically said he is connected somehow, or at least can shed light on what happened.

[quote] The individual is being held on charges unrelated to the slain doctor's death, Detroit Police Chief James White said. He and Hoover knew each other, White said, but declined to comment further on the nature of their relationship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201April 29, 2023 9:59 PM

They need to check the cabins by the lake.

by Anonymousreply 202April 29, 2023 10:27 PM

And vans down by the river

by Anonymousreply 203April 29, 2023 10:29 PM

R201- He said Dr Hoover was targeted. That could mean many things, I suppose, but that makes me suspect the housekeepers son even more.

by Anonymousreply 204April 29, 2023 10:32 PM

Saying he was "targeted" makes me think it's not a domestic with a boyfriend or even a hookup gone wrong - more like someone knew of him and that he was very wealthy, living in a mansion, and they'd get in his house and steal from him ??

What else would qualify as "targeted" -- if he was a drug dealer or someone held him responsible for a death??

by Anonymousreply 205April 29, 2023 10:38 PM

R205- Maybe the killer cased his home , planning on robbing him but something went very wrong, perhaps the doctor walked in on the robbery and the killer panicked and shot him?

by Anonymousreply 206April 29, 2023 10:43 PM

R197 Congratulations. Really: we're glad you're alive and able to write to us.

Perhaps the good doctor was not quite so lucky...

by Anonymousreply 207April 29, 2023 11:17 PM

[quote]R203 And vans down by the river

I don’t think (?) Kate Jackson is a suspect

by Anonymousreply 208April 29, 2023 11:19 PM

R203; Living in a van down by the river. .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 209April 29, 2023 11:27 PM

R201, “person of interest,” like “wanted for questioning,” is usually a euphemism for “suspect.” It’s what they call you prior to your actual arrest.

by Anonymousreply 210April 29, 2023 11:32 PM

I hope this will not be a dark gay male scandal

by Anonymousreply 211April 29, 2023 11:34 PM

They aren't allowing him to set bail, are they? They have him on hold. I do not know how long they have before they have to charge him with a crime or release him.

by Anonymousreply 212April 29, 2023 11:36 PM

R16 I grew up in a neighborhood with diverse styles of house, all built between 1915 and 1930. There were houses like this and whether it was correct or incorrect we referred to them as “Mediterranean.” Many of them were U-shaped, or more accurately, had six sides. I’m sure there’s a name for that, too.

by Anonymousreply 213April 30, 2023 12:11 AM

They might be able to charge him with the unrelated crime. And since he was brought in on Friday, it's quite possible that they can hold him over the weekend into Monday-Tuesday delaying the arraignment/bail hearing. They like to do that.

by Anonymousreply 214April 30, 2023 12:24 AM

R11 yes you dumb cunt, what the fuck point are you trying to make. Someone was brutally murdered and this is the point you make.

Die in a thousand grease fires.

by Anonymousreply 215April 30, 2023 12:27 AM

I wish we had a DL insider over there who could very kindly reveal the suspects name and tell us if he is the housekeepers son. 😁.

by Anonymousreply 216April 30, 2023 12:29 AM

R144 Marjorie Taylor Greene?

by Anonymousreply 217April 30, 2023 12:36 AM

It’s obvious he was the overseer of frozen embryos. An elderly Frau ex husband just recently passed, who was embezzling money from El Salvador and operating a secret ring of sex trafficking of young women who also fronted as a conservative political aids one of which released a bomb at a pro choice rally and was dating Manny, the doc’s landscaper. Pick your suspect.

by Anonymousreply 218April 30, 2023 12:38 AM

No, it was a woman who kidnaps other women to make them into dolls. This guy found out about her kidnapping scheme and she killed him because he knew too much!

by Anonymousreply 219April 30, 2023 12:58 AM

My gut is telling me the suspect is a young guy who is muscular.

by Anonymousreply 220April 30, 2023 2:13 AM

^^Your “gut?” I think you’ve got your organs mixed up.

by Anonymousreply 221April 30, 2023 2:17 AM

[quote]r189 He may have used male escorts because he didn't feel ready for a serious commitment at this time in his life.

Aren’t there other options before one reaches “serious commitment“?

by Anonymousreply 222April 30, 2023 3:26 AM

Serious commitment? He might have to come out first.

by Anonymousreply 223April 30, 2023 3:40 AM

The closet kills and so do muscular boys.

by Anonymousreply 224April 30, 2023 5:41 AM

He had 6 sisters !

by Anonymousreply 225April 30, 2023 8:54 AM

Devon’s family seemed pretty strong Catholic. He’s the only son out of 7 kids . It was probably very difficult to be homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 226April 30, 2023 9:03 AM

A Catholic Mennonite, r226?

by Anonymousreply 227April 30, 2023 9:34 AM

Yeah, in more than one photo at the funeral home website. you can see his mom and one or more of his sisters wearing the typical headcovering for Mennonite women. And in a recent obituary for his dad's brother, the brother was said to be a member of Yellow Creek Mennonite Church in Goshen, Indiana.

Due to where the funeral was held, one might guess that Devon either converted to Roman Catholicism - OR - the Catholic Church allowed the service to be held in the Cathedral in his neighborhood. Perhaps they thought the turnout would be large and the local Mennonite church didn't think they could hold everyone. (Apparently, non-Catholics can have a service inside a Catholic church, if they were baptized Christian.)

by Anonymousreply 228April 30, 2023 10:55 AM

R82, I’m grateful that you are not into dark meat. And who’s to say that you are free of STDS as well as personal drama. Your idiotic comment proves that you are full of drama. And something a lot more smellier.

by Anonymousreply 229April 30, 2023 1:23 PM

Such a whimsical and cheerful soul, our Devon!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 230April 30, 2023 1:47 PM

Hard working guy who seemed to have boundless energy for his patients, his practice, his home, his garden. The public life was well lived... the secret life seems to be what did him in. Sad.

by Anonymousreply 231April 30, 2023 2:39 PM

[quote] Due to where the funeral was held, one might guess that Devon either converted to Roman Catholicism - OR - the Catholic Church allowed the service to be held in the Cathedral in his neighborhood. Perhaps they thought the turnout would be large and the local Mennonite church didn't think they could hold everyone. (Apparently, non-Catholics can have a service inside a Catholic church, if they were baptized Christian.)

I don't think he's a Catholic convert. The Catholic Church doesn't allow funeral masses for Catholics to be held on Sundays. They are probably just allowing the guy's funeral to be held there because of the size.

by Anonymousreply 232April 30, 2023 2:43 PM

From what has been said it seems like this guy had a lot of traffic in and out of his house. He had social gatherings with neighbors and others, he had tennants, renters, etc, and a housekeeper, workers, etc. as well as his personal life and relationships. Some were lasted a few weeks others longer. He also seems like the type who, just because he broke up with you or "unfriended" you for bad behavior, doesn't mean he'd totally cut you off. So I am more and more inclined to think this was very similar to the Savannah murder of the Art collector they made the movie about with Kevin Spacey.

by Anonymousreply 233April 30, 2023 2:54 PM

A lot of guys get permission for many things because of size.

by Anonymousreply 234April 30, 2023 2:59 PM

Why no updates on suspect?

by Anonymousreply 235April 30, 2023 5:39 PM

I watched some of the live stream of the funeral. It's not a Catholic service. The funeral consisted of a few people singing religious-themed songs with several speakers. The archdiocese probably rents out the church for non-Catholic funerals for prominent people.

by Anonymousreply 236April 30, 2023 6:20 PM

"But, if the male escort stuff turns out to be true then I wouldn't be surprised if some of his patients end up souring on him. "

I'm not so sure. Years ago, a prominent heart surgeon in Ottawa was honey trapped in a vice sting.

He was arrested and resigned from his position. The city was incensed, demanded he not resign and the police ended up looking like idiots.

by Anonymousreply 237April 30, 2023 6:41 PM

R235 I get the vibe that investigators have found a lot of not-so-great details about Hoover and some of the people he surrounded himself with. They are probably unsure of how or when to release updates on suspects or other people of interest in the case.

by Anonymousreply 238April 30, 2023 6:44 PM

I pray that when it’s revealed that he was gay and this was gay hookup gone bad ( not uncommon) we will hear crap like “ the wages of sin is death .”

by Anonymousreply 239April 30, 2023 6:49 PM

Once he chose a surgical residency. He had to stay closeted and live a double life. Every gay male med student who has gone into surgery and lived openly has mysteriously flunked out of their programs after a couple years.

by Anonymousreply 240April 30, 2023 7:00 PM

That’s terribly unfair ☝🏼

by Anonymousreply 241April 30, 2023 7:02 PM

R240 I didn’t know Oral Roberts and Liberty University had medical programs.

Simply untrue otherwise. I am married to a gay surgeon and dated one previously. They and several of their classmates were out and had no issue.

by Anonymousreply 242April 30, 2023 7:14 PM

A weird post from a patient of on FB.

[quote]Maybe I can put a smile on someone's face. [quote]After the first few visits with Dr. Hoover, my wife didn't come with me to a scheduled appt. (no need to). At least with me, after we were finished in the exam room, he always walked with me to the front desk and always asked me if I had any more questions. Well, I said, "No, I don't, but my wife does, she wants to know if you're married." Oh my gosh! The entire office laughed like no other! I don't remember if he ever answered, but when I was driving home, I was thinking, "So, what am I? Swiss cheese?!" He was definitely one of those guys that you couldn't help but being drawn to

by Anonymousreply 243April 30, 2023 7:15 PM

There’s a lot of strain being in the closet .

by Anonymousreply 244April 30, 2023 7:34 PM

While raised Mennonite, it's possible he was attracted to the pomp and circumstance of the old, "traditionalist" Catholic customs. .. Notice that at the end of his obituary, one of the suggested places to donate in his honor is the "Fraternite Notre Dame," which is so 'out there' that the Catholic Church won't affiliate with them. .. Some call this off-shoot a "cult." Apparently, they're very devoted to Mary and only celebrate the Tridentine Mass.

At their website they tell the story of how Dr. Hoover would stop and talk to and buy goods from their nuns who sell bakery at the Eastern Market in Detroit. This church held their own Mass in his memory this Sunday. He was actually scheduled to hold a fundraiser for this church at his mansion this coming Tuesday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245April 30, 2023 7:46 PM

R240 what do you mean.

by Anonymousreply 246April 30, 2023 7:59 PM

So many nutbag religious people lately.

by Anonymousreply 247April 30, 2023 8:28 PM

R247 yeah, not like the secular good old days of 18th/19th century, or the Puritans and Catholics of yesteryear. Humanists, all of them.

by Anonymousreply 248April 30, 2023 8:35 PM

R239 That's probably going to happen if details come out on his sexual orientation and people who knew him personally confirm it to the press or LE.

I started looking at the Facebook group when it only had over 1,000 members. The early hints were the "he had a partner" and "someone was living with him" posts that seemed to be from neighbors, friends, or people who knew him outside his professional life. As the group grew more speculation on his personal life was posted and I saw a post from a woman who said something along the lines of "maybe a boyfriend did it". The post got deleted as I was unable to find it later on. There were several hand slapping posts about how there should be no speculation on his sexuality or who he loved. Someone posted as an "anonymous participant" asking to be a moderator for the group.

Some of the anonymous participants and people posting under their names keep saying that DPD should do a press conference of give updates.I'm surprised that I haven't seen any posts suggesting that Mike Duggan or other elected officials pressure the police to release details.

by Anonymousreply 249April 30, 2023 8:43 PM

R249, but it’s an ongoing investigation, it might be prejudicial to the case to release details now.

by Anonymousreply 250April 30, 2023 9:07 PM

[quote]I watched some of the live stream of the funeral.

The Datalounge condoles you.

by Anonymousreply 251April 30, 2023 9:08 PM

I get the idea that the police have been trying to avoid releasing anything too salacious until after the funeral.

[quote] The individual is being held on charges unrelated to the slain doctor's death, Detroit Police Chief James White said. He and Hoover knew each other, White said, but declined to comment further on the nature of their relationship.

by Anonymousreply 252April 30, 2023 9:33 PM

R249, he was such a mensch in his professional life and people adored him. This may be a positive thing if revealed he was gay . I have a new perspective hope :)

I just hope he wasn’t completely closeted and had to resort to prostitutes / dangerous hookups.

by Anonymousreply 253April 30, 2023 10:24 PM

That being gay in 2023 would nullify all the good he has done exemplifies how parts of the U.S. are in retrograde, hijacked by religious extremists.

by Anonymousreply 254April 30, 2023 10:34 PM

R254 Detroit isn’t difficult for gays. But the police are likely hiding the lurid details, which is actually respectful.

by Anonymousreply 255April 30, 2023 11:10 PM

R254, true

by Anonymousreply 256April 30, 2023 11:12 PM

[quote] [R158]- Do we know if he hired the housekeeper first and after hiring her he then met her son? I am just curious to know how long she had been employed by him and the timeline on when he met her son.

I know of a current arrangement where the loser, unemployed boyfriend moved his mother into the house with him and sugar daddy. They call mother the "housekeeper" but she does no work in the house.

by Anonymousreply 257April 30, 2023 11:23 PM

It's now being reported that someone broke into Hoover's house on Saturday night.

[quote] According to the Detroit Police Department, an unknown individual broke into the home of 53-year-old Dr. Devon Hoover sometime during the night of Saturday, April 29, extending into Sunday, April 30.

[quote] It is not clear at this time what, if anything, was stolen and Detroit police say no one has been taken into custody in relation to this break-in.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258April 30, 2023 11:57 PM

Was it a random break-in or a "my trick robbed me!" kind of thing?

by Anonymousreply 259May 1, 2023 12:01 AM

R259, they always say that burglars read obituaries to plan their break-ins.

by Anonymousreply 260May 1, 2023 12:06 AM

No surveillance cameras?

by Anonymousreply 261May 1, 2023 12:13 AM

There's no alarm system? .. Unless the person who broke in knows the security code!!

by Anonymousreply 262May 1, 2023 12:29 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 263May 1, 2023 1:09 AM

Yikes . What the hell is going on ?! Why wasn’t house under surveillance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264May 1, 2023 1:15 AM

Yeah, the house should have been police surveillance. DPD is going to be on the shit list for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 265May 1, 2023 3:16 AM

a DLer might have rushed there from this thread and broken in, looking for Tiffany lampshades?

by Anonymousreply 266May 1, 2023 5:26 AM

Is there a Tasteful Friends thread about it, R266?

by Anonymousreply 267May 1, 2023 5:29 AM

I hope they catch his killer(s)

by Anonymousreply 268May 1, 2023 5:53 AM

[quote] Yeah, the house should have been police surveillance. DPD is going to be on the shit list for awhile.

Police surveillance might only consist of a patrol car circling the corner of the property every hour, and DPD may not even think that's a good use of resources given the level of private security that the Boston-Edison neighborhood has and pays for.

Boston-Edison has its own security force called DSS (Dusing Security Services) that provides alarm security and patrol car service. Just like many of Hoover's neighbors, one can see the company's sign (logo) at the front of his property. Also, the windows of his four car garage around the corner have decals on them. With all of his expensive art, antiques, and other collectibles, I'm guessing his insurance company would demand a high level of security.

People brought up the issue of security company right after the murder (see article link). But if it was a "domestic issue," then the point about security might be irrelevant. But this subsequent break-in would appear very relevant.

So was the security company asleep at the wheel or did the intruder know how to work around it?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269May 1, 2023 7:39 AM

They were trying to destroy evidence! The plot thickens.

by Anonymousreply 270May 1, 2023 9:32 AM

You know, it used to be customary for a family friend or a neighbor or the ladies club from church, to be at the home while people went to the funeral. It was a combination of house sitting and just having someone there in case flowers or food (lots of casseroles and layer cakes) were delivered for the family and their guests. I do not understand how the house could have been left unattended. And yes, given that a murder took place a cop should have been assigned to house sit.

by Anonymousreply 271May 1, 2023 10:45 AM

I only found Facebook page of his. Damn, he was cute. And rich.

by Anonymousreply 272May 1, 2023 11:36 AM

They aren't going to station cops at the house 24/7, people have unrealistic expectations of what police actually will do.

by Anonymousreply 273May 1, 2023 11:43 AM

R273, I was speaking about the day of the funeral. They could have beefed up their coverage.

by Anonymousreply 274May 1, 2023 11:46 AM

I know a classmate who’s into that extremist Catholic stuff too. He’d grown up in the Protestant denomination where we also attended church. Many years after high school he came out and later converted to Catholicism. It’s nuts, but it’s usually the converts that are the extreme ones. So being gay and hardcore Catholic can co-exist in some fucked up people.

by Anonymousreply 275May 1, 2023 12:20 PM

A few years back I had business in Detroit and had heard of the Boston Edison neighborhood, so drove around the area. I remember driving by his house -- absolutely beautiful and perfectly maintained. This is just so sad, on so many levels. How wonderful that his colleagues, friends and neighbors spoke of Devon Hoover with such love and appreciation.

by Anonymousreply 276May 1, 2023 3:56 PM

R275 - I know a guy like that, too. Total nutjob.

by Anonymousreply 277May 1, 2023 10:05 PM

Devon was a great and decent man with incredible talent and humility . If he as an unmarried man likes to screw around with consenting adults, who cares ?

by Anonymousreply 278May 1, 2023 10:43 PM

[quote] I was speaking about the day of the funeral. They could have beefed up their coverage.

If DPD wanted to beef up coverage the day of the funeral, they may have been wiser to post an undercover officer at the church to survey the mourners.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279May 1, 2023 11:16 PM

Any new news on Dr. Faggy McCloset’s suspected killer yet?

by Anonymousreply 280May 2, 2023 2:11 AM

R280 is a colossal failure

by Anonymousreply 281May 2, 2023 4:42 AM

Not only is R280 a colossal failure, it also makes me wonder what they're hiding in their own closet.

by Anonymousreply 282May 2, 2023 10:54 AM

I think they’re tremendous.

by Anonymousreply 283May 2, 2023 11:51 AM

Nope. Big fail.

by Anonymousreply 284May 2, 2023 11:54 AM

But it's such a timely Friends reference

by Anonymousreply 285May 2, 2023 12:22 PM

It seems that the person of interest has been released. Earliest reports had suggested this was a domestic dispute. Puzzling.

by Anonymousreply 286May 2, 2023 7:22 PM

That boy should be EXPELLED!

by Anonymousreply 287May 2, 2023 7:28 PM

R286 Yes. The person of interest was released.

Police say, “We’re asking that the community bring forward any information it may have in this matter.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288May 2, 2023 8:11 PM

Another party house, dozens of potential suspects to eliminate. It’s reminiscent of the Idaho college kids who were allegedly murdered by a lone psychopath, but it took detectives weeks to build a case because of all the potential suspects they had to eliminate before an arrest — even though they had surveillance footage of the suspect’s car and DNA from a knife sheath left at the crime scene.

by Anonymousreply 289May 2, 2023 9:53 PM

R205 That’s no mansion.

by Anonymousreply 290May 2, 2023 10:00 PM

You just know that the community KNOWS something....... The clock is ticking.

by Anonymousreply 291May 2, 2023 10:11 PM

Why can’t they just execute that suspect they released?

DL needs closure.

by Anonymousreply 292May 3, 2023 12:11 AM

This is so frustrating and frightening. Why can’t they solve this ?

by Anonymousreply 293May 3, 2023 1:11 AM

R292 He wasn't a suspect. Just a person of interest.

I'm guessing they thought he would be able to confirm some things about doc's Tasteful Friends lifestyle and be able point them in the right direction.

And whoever the guilty party is, the person won't be executed anyway, because there is no death penalty in Michigan.

by Anonymousreply 294May 3, 2023 1:13 AM

LOCK ‘IM UP!

by Anonymousreply 295May 3, 2023 1:15 AM

No death penalty? Why, that’s unAmerican!

by Anonymousreply 296May 3, 2023 1:16 AM

Capital punishment was abolished in Michigan by state legislation in 1846. The wiki article mentions that the federal death penalty can still be imposed in Michigan.

[quote] Even though Michigan abolished the death penalty in 1846, the Federal death penalty can still be imposed. Thus, the United States was able to execute Tony Chebatoris at the Federal Detention Farm (now Federal Correctional Institution, Milan) near Milan, Michigan in 1938, for a murder he committed while robbing a federal bank in Midland, Michigan.[11]

[quote]The 2002 conviction of Marvin Gabrion received national attention when he was sentenced to death for the murder of Rachel Timmerman in Newaygo County, Michigan. Gabrion is also suspected of four other killings but was never tried for them, including the murder of Rachel Timmerman's 11-month-old daughter Shannon Verhage.

[quote] U.S. Attorneys (i.e. federal prosecutors) in the latter case relied on the dual sovereignty doctrine to seek a death sentence because the murder took place on federal land.[12] Gabrion was the first person in the United States to receive the federal death penalty for a crime committed in a non-death penalty state since the federal death penalty was reinstated in 1988.[13] The sentence was overturned in 2013 by a panel of the Sixth Circuit, but was later reinstated 12–4 by the full court sitting en banc.[14][15]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297May 3, 2023 1:47 AM

The killer is still on the lam . Horrible

by Anonymousreply 298May 3, 2023 1:50 AM

^ so is the mint jelly. Where’s Greg when we need him?

by Anonymousreply 299May 3, 2023 2:33 AM

Very similar to Idaho in that they have made it a point to say the public isn't in any danger. How the hell do they know that?

by Anonymousreply 300May 3, 2023 2:44 AM

[quote] ^ so is the mint jelly. Where’s Greg when we need him?

I’m right here, R299. I’m right here.

by Anonymousreply 301May 3, 2023 3:07 AM

SO maybe the person of interest was an Ex boyfriend and they were going for the Domestic angle.

by Anonymousreply 302May 3, 2023 3:18 AM

^Your use of capitalization is amusing.

by Anonymousreply 303May 3, 2023 3:44 AM

I fear this is heading in the direction of ending up as another episode of unsolved mysteries. We need to hire the DL Sleuths - stat.

by Anonymousreply 304May 3, 2023 3:51 AM

R304 they'll solve it. There's a good solve rate in Detroit, and they know how to work an investigation. I used to work for the county there. Wayne County. The DPD is a well run department. But the real thing is people talk. There is likely already buzz about this. A lot of it. I'll bet more than one person already has a very good idea of who the killer is. Now we don't know a lot of the details, but it seems to me, if the Doctor was not killed in the attic, than there was more than one person in the house at the time of the murder. He was wrapped in a plastic sheet and carried up to the attic? So where was he killed? In his bedroom? And exactly when was he killed? Is it possible he was dead in the house and someone went out and came back to try to clean up? A lot of unanswered questions. Was his stolen car connected to the murder or was it just a stolen car? Or did he loan his car to someone? The car was missing, but how did they know it was stolen? And whoever did it will come back around. Either driving passed the house or walking around the neighborhood. May have even gone to the funeral.

by Anonymousreply 305May 3, 2023 4:03 AM

They never released much info about the vehicle that was taken other than it was "abandoned on the west side of Detroit."

So why don't the police want to be more specific about exactly where it was found? Or whether there was any evidence inside it ... like BLOOD, or DNA other than Hoover's?

And I don't think they ever said where they think the murder-shooting actually occurred? Was he shot up in the attic where the body was found? Or somewhere else in the house with the body being taken up to the attic? Did the bullets tell them anything about the gun? Do they have an idea of who owned the gun? Did the medical examiner find out anything else in the autopsy?

They supposedly want people to help, but they're not giving out much information.

by Anonymousreply 306May 3, 2023 4:44 AM

It may not seem like it but it's still relatively early on in the investigation. I bet camera footage is playing a huge part. The DPD knows this is a high-profile case with a bunch of whack-a-doodles following it. I respect them not showing their hand too soon. Ultimately, they want the person/people responsible convicted in a court of law.

by Anonymousreply 307May 3, 2023 1:37 PM

No matter how intelligent they may be, criminals are not that smart. One truism you can depend on. The Perp always leaves something behind. Always. And he always takes something with him. There is no such thing as a perfect crime. The main thing right now, in gathering evidence it's also important to really get to know the victim. This is like a big puzzle.

by Anonymousreply 308May 3, 2023 2:12 PM

^ Hagatha Christie

by Anonymousreply 309May 3, 2023 6:10 PM

[quote] The Perp always leaves something behind. Always

Did the perp leave any cum stains behind?

by Anonymousreply 310May 3, 2023 6:25 PM

[quote]r305 they'll solve it. There's a good solve rate in Detroit, and they know how to work an investigation.

I was listening to a podcast (will put link below) on a 1980s serial killer. The guest said the clearance rate for solving murders back then was 72%… but now, even with all our advances in technology and profiling, the rate is 50%.

Is that true?

by Anonymousreply 311May 3, 2023 7:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312May 3, 2023 7:08 PM

Mother's obituary.

Did they take Devon's casket back to Goshen to be buried in the Menonnite cemetery there where mom will be laid to rest? It's adjacent to the church. I imagine the family has a plot there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313May 3, 2023 9:23 PM

R311, that sounds right. It’s thought that the “war on drugs” took police attention away from basic crime-solving.

by Anonymousreply 314May 3, 2023 9:37 PM

They never arrested anyone for that gay hubby last seen at his gym and a gas station, who then ended up dead in the woods, did they?

by Anonymousreply 315May 3, 2023 9:46 PM

R315- No, they have never arrested anyone as far as I know. I don't believe they ever even had a suspect or bothering investigating, tbh, which is infuriating.

by Anonymousreply 316May 3, 2023 9:52 PM

Thank you

by Anonymousreply 317May 3, 2023 10:02 PM

So was this a Carrie Fisher/Debbie Reynolds situation? Did her son dying hasten her death?

by Anonymousreply 318May 3, 2023 10:47 PM

No ☝🏼r318 she apparently died without knowing her only son was murdered.

by Anonymousreply 319May 3, 2023 11:04 PM

R319, thanks! I was trying to figure out the timeline, to no avail. That poor family.

by Anonymousreply 320May 3, 2023 11:10 PM

If this guy was closeted, should we really be giving his Uber religious family that much sympathy?

I mean… who DROVE him to be closeted in the first place?

by Anonymousreply 321May 3, 2023 11:20 PM

R321 it’s clear that he chose to be close to his family. I believe it’s best not to judge. Him or his family. But hey, that’s just me.

by Anonymousreply 322May 3, 2023 11:26 PM

Please don’t make his likely sexual orientation the focus of this tragedy . Devon was by all accounts, a superb person in every way . Don’t let the homophobes dismiss or politicize this so freakin sad case .

by Anonymousreply 323May 3, 2023 11:30 PM

[quote]R323 Please don’t make his likely sexual orientation the focus of this tragedy .

But we’re discussing the case here *because* of his sexual orientation. Because he is family.

So how can they be separated here?

by Anonymousreply 324May 3, 2023 11:58 PM

R324, because many Will blame his murder on his being gay

by Anonymousreply 325May 4, 2023 12:23 AM

It is obviously the soft butch sous chef.

by Anonymousreply 326May 4, 2023 12:52 AM

R325- I sincerely hope that doesn't happen. If he had been a straight male people would still talk /gossip about his sex life, how many women he had ,etc. It's just what we do although we probably shouldn't. Straight men are killed by women all of the time. Blaming him for his own murder because he was gay is not only wrong it's and ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 327May 4, 2023 3:26 AM

"Straight men are killed by women all of the time."

Most men who are killed are killed by other men

by Anonymousreply 328May 4, 2023 3:28 AM

R328- That may be true but many men are murdered by women. The Jodie Arias psychopaths.

by Anonymousreply 329May 4, 2023 3:39 AM

No r329, many men are not murdered by women. A few scandalous high-profile cases does not make a trend.

by Anonymousreply 330May 4, 2023 3:48 AM

[quote]R329 That may be true but many men are murdered by women. The Jodi Arias psychopaths.

You think there are “many” Jodi Ariases out there?

by Anonymousreply 331May 4, 2023 6:02 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332May 4, 2023 6:14 AM

That pending case is a train wreck! But still, that hardly means it’s common, you dufus

I do love this lawyer’s reaction:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333May 4, 2023 6:31 AM

Do we really need to derail this thread?

We should just want to know the truth of what happened; we should want the killer found.

by Anonymousreply 334May 4, 2023 6:34 AM

When news of the murder broke, one of his (openly) gay friends put this photo of himself up with Hoover. .. Both the friend and his husband also live in Detroit and have been together since before 2006, marrying in 2017. Both are professional engineers; one works at GM, the other at Ford.

Shows a different side to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335May 4, 2023 9:02 AM

R335, looks playful and positive to me

by Anonymousreply 336May 4, 2023 9:13 AM

Not true, r38! Often the police PLANT evidence, like bloody gloves, or bloody shoe prints, or blood drops in vehicles!

by Anonymousreply 337May 4, 2023 11:23 AM

You wanna try that again, r337?

by Anonymousreply 338May 4, 2023 11:31 AM

R306

They need to hold back specific evidence/information so they can discern whether a person of interest actually knows what happened.

by Anonymousreply 339May 4, 2023 11:41 AM

R330

The TV show Snapped begs to differ. (And no, it’s not a trend.)

by Anonymousreply 340May 4, 2023 11:45 AM

Apologies, r38/r338!

I meant it for r308!

by Anonymousreply 341May 4, 2023 12:54 PM

R339 I get that, but not even saying something about the type of gun used (from the bullets) or what make-model of car was taken and exactly where it was dumped seems odd. People might have seen the car at some point, who was driving it, etc. Same with whether any DNA was found. Have they even determined that they're actually looking for a man? Again, this is kind of basic info and doesn't reveal too much from the actual scene of the crime (i.e. specific stuff).

by Anonymousreply 342May 4, 2023 5:41 PM

When a woman kills a man, it makes the national news. When a man kills a woman, it's a 1-2 day story on the local news unless they're rich and/or very attractive. Now quit derailing this fucking thread

by Anonymousreply 343May 4, 2023 6:44 PM

Article date May 5. They believe the killer is another male, and let it be known that, yes, the body was moved to the attic.

I don't think that's been reported previously.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344May 5, 2023 7:29 PM

[quote]r344 They believe the killer is another male

Perhaps there was ejaculate on him. Again.

by Anonymousreply 345May 5, 2023 7:39 PM

^^^ or in him.

Will some media outlet obtain the medical examiner's report?

by Anonymousreply 346May 5, 2023 9:29 PM

They’re getting closer!

by Anonymousreply 347May 5, 2023 10:16 PM

Devon was a rare soul . He more than deserves justice.

by Anonymousreply 348May 5, 2023 11:32 PM

This is so sad. He seems like a truly good person. I’m impressed so many of you figured that his body was moved to the attic. True crime is not of great interest to me although I did read every post in the Jimmmmayyy threads. But this case interests me. The fact that he was gay (not out to his family?) and lived in that lovely home and seemed so good hearted, extremely talented and skilled at his work. Who would want to kill him? Was it deliberate, random, I can’t make sense of it but hopefully justice will be served. RIP.

by Anonymousreply 349May 5, 2023 11:47 PM

[quote] They’re getting closer!

How so? They released the person-of-interest, not even indicating, if they'd gotten any viable leads out of that. And just yesterday, the DPD repeated their plea for help from the community on this case tweeting:

[quote] We're asking anyone with information to call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-Speak Up. Homicide detectives continue to investigate all information in this case.

It'll be two weeks soon. The perp could be out of the country by now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350May 6, 2023 12:44 AM

Love or money.. One or the other.

by Anonymousreply 351May 6, 2023 1:15 AM

R335 nice arms on the friend

by Anonymousreply 352May 6, 2023 1:26 AM

High school devon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353May 6, 2023 1:40 AM

Aw, he was a cutie

by Anonymousreply 354May 6, 2023 1:48 AM

[quote]r348 Devon was a rare soul . He more than deserves justice.

Did he open free clinics in Calcutta?

It sounds like he was a good, popular doctor, no more, no less.

The closeted part is less than admirable to me. He should have just grown the fuck up and taught his religious family something by being his true self. That’s the biggest contribution gays make, as Harvey Milk said. Come out of the damn closet.

by Anonymousreply 355May 6, 2023 1:59 AM

[quote] Did they take Devon's casket back to Goshen to be buried in the Menonnite cemetery there where mom will be laid to rest?

Yes. Find a Grave confirms his burial site will be the Yellow Creek Frame Cemetery, also known as Hoke Cemetery, Wisler Cemetery attached to the Mennonite church there. This is the same cemetery listed in the notice for his mom's funeral, which occurred today, May 5.

by Anonymousreply 356May 6, 2023 2:18 AM

R355 Exactly. It’s 2023. We need role models now more than ever. If it plays out the way it seems to be going, this guy is probably going to be remembered as someone with a sleazy secret life. All his frau fans are busy scolding the speculators on his memorial FB page.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357May 6, 2023 2:23 AM

What makes you think that he was in the closet? Just because he had himself photographed with his Mennonite family? Or is it it because he didn’t have a Onlyfans account or an Instahoe account? He seems to have had a nice circle of gay friends. Living alone, and being killed by Hooker still doesn’t mean that he was in the closet.

by Anonymousreply 358May 6, 2023 2:38 AM

[quote] [R344] They believe the killer is another male Perhaps there was ejaculate on him. Again.

Or, perhaps jizz on the banister.

by Anonymousreply 359May 6, 2023 2:54 AM

R355 did it say explicitly in the press that he was closeted or are you assuming from posts above and scant references?

I’m gay, I’ve been out to my family and two closest childhood friends since the 8th grade. I was never in the closet to friends I have now. No one else has any business knowing my sexuality, unless I’m actively expressing interest in fucking them, in which case they’ll figure it out. I don’t want to know anything about casual friends’, colleagues’, neighbors’ or strangers’ sex lives. I hope they have great ones.

My husband and I were at a party hosted by a close friend and his wife last summer and a guy who worked for me for ~5 years, several years ago, was there and came over. I introduced him to my husband and he freaked out. “What?!? You’re gay?!?” And on and on and on. I was embarrassed for him, he sounded ridiculous. He’s gay, which I knew because he works it into everything he says and does. I don’t care that he does that, didn’t bother me then or now. What did bother me is that he started out surprised but quickly acted almost hostile while he attempted to interrogate me. Prior to that moment, I didn’t know whether he knew or didn’t know that I’m gay. My sex life was never ever going to be something that would involve him. Needless to say I ended the conversation politely and found other company.

I’m 35 y/o. I never thought anything about being gay as requiring some sort of public disclosure. It’s no one’s business except the person I’m fucking. I had a very active sex life when I was single, and I’m into kinky shit. I don’t care who ‘finds out’ but why the hell do ppl act like it’s something you MUST discuss with acquaintances and strangers?

by Anonymousreply 360May 6, 2023 3:02 AM

Because everyone discusses who they’re dating/seeing. Unless they’re being evasive/closeted.

by Anonymousreply 361May 6, 2023 5:53 AM

Times are better now but not that long ago it was the kiss of death for physicians to be openly gay, unless their patients were also gay. Straight men are leery. It depends on the type of doctor. Urologist's could easily lose half their straight male patients. He could have been out to family and friends but np one else.

by Anonymousreply 362May 6, 2023 5:54 AM

So maybe the latest flame wanted to go public with their relationship and accompany him to the family event he was getting ready to attend saying he wanted to meet his parents and sisters so they could declare their love. .. But when our victim said this was never going to happen, they got into a heated argument, and one thing led to another with the guy pulling out a gun and shooting him screaming, "WELL, THEY'RE GOING TO KNOW NOW!! ... EVERYONE'S GOING TO KNOW!!"

by Anonymousreply 363May 6, 2023 6:10 AM

R360 I interned with Dr. Devon Hunter. I knew Dr. Devon Hunter. Dr. Devon Hunter was a friend of mine. Sir, you’re no Dr. Devon Hunter.

by Anonymousreply 364May 6, 2023 12:14 PM

I've been out since my 20s, and came out to my friends and colleagues at that time. It was the 80s and I was one of the few openly gay MDs in my health system (and this was California). I've never been in socially, but don't discuss my personal life with my patients. Now that I'm in my sixties, nobody much cares one way or another as I'm no longer seen as a sexual being. (Even though I get plenty of sex, thank you).

by Anonymousreply 365May 6, 2023 2:38 PM

Please tell us more about his mysteriously being found. Did Nancy Drew find him?

by Anonymousreply 366May 6, 2023 3:08 PM

Being shot multiple times in the head (that's a lot of rage) and moved to the attic says crime of passion. Jilted lover (?) and someone who knew the house -- how else would the killer know where to find the attic in such a huge house? But why move the body? Why take and then abandon the car? Maybe he brought a meth head trick home?

by Anonymousreply 367May 6, 2023 5:07 PM

I’m worried the killer is getting away

by Anonymousreply 368May 6, 2023 5:34 PM

I also worry that this might end in a “Dallas A Gay” situation. Which has been very frustrating.

by Anonymousreply 369May 6, 2023 5:41 PM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 370May 6, 2023 5:48 PM

Checked his FB page. A lot of his friends are people of color, openly gay, educated, community volunteers, and liberal. No way he was in the closet. Sure, he might have had a kinky side and brought home the wrong trick. Devon just seemed like a delightful man. If the killer had been an actual boyfriend, someone would know and he'd have been caught by now.

by Anonymousreply 371May 6, 2023 6:05 PM

Any hint that the doctor liked to party? And play?

by Anonymousreply 372May 6, 2023 8:08 PM

There were posts on Facebook from a musician and a caterer who mentioned working parties at his house. I saw a post from a PA who worked with him who mentioned the parties at the house.

by Anonymousreply 373May 6, 2023 8:14 PM

Moving (literally) dead weight ain't an easy task. I'm with r305.

by Anonymousreply 374May 6, 2023 8:14 PM

What makes this case and the Dallas case so unsettling is that if this can happen to wealthy, good looking, well-adjusted, and high performing gays it can happen to any of us!

Mary!!!

by Anonymousreply 375May 6, 2023 8:28 PM

I hadn't looked at the Facebook group in a few days. As usual, hand slapping drama is going on and it appears some people don't want tributes to be posted to Dr.Hoover there anymore.

There was a post from a couple of days ago from one of the anonymous participants who seems upset that there hasn't been a formal press conference from DPD and was wondering if the police chief or Mike Duggan could be contacted in hopes of a press conference being held. This will probably sound bad of me, but I get a smug entitlement vibe from some of those posters and their belief that DPD and Duggarn should cave into their demands simply because of who Hoover was. A lot of murders don't get much attention oftentimes because the victims didn't have high-profile jobs or weren't well known. I'm not trying to invalidate the sadness over Hoover's death because he seems like he was a very good and caring surgeon. But, some of the people in that group are probably the same people who probably don't care when other violent crimes go in on Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 376May 6, 2023 8:39 PM

R376, is anonymous participant that’s particularly untrustworthy. He seems like he wants to demonize Devon’s memory.

by Anonymousreply 377May 6, 2023 11:40 PM

What is an example of “demonizing” him from over there?

by Anonymousreply 378May 6, 2023 11:44 PM

I've had enough of this bourgeoise stew of a thread. Ciao.

by Anonymousreply 379May 7, 2023 4:01 AM

This isn't an airport. No need to announce your departure, R379.

by Anonymousreply 380May 7, 2023 6:45 AM

You sound hot, Gay MD. Single and available?

by Anonymousreply 381May 7, 2023 6:56 AM

Yes and yes... but you'll have to move to Birmingham,AL

by Anonymousreply 382May 7, 2023 1:53 PM

Shot in the head multiple times mutilates the face so probably committed by someone who really didn't give a shit about him.

by Anonymousreply 383May 7, 2023 5:23 PM

r382, how did you go from being an openly gay physician in CA to Birmingham, AL?

by Anonymousreply 384May 7, 2023 5:54 PM

The poster who goes by the handle "Anonymous Participant" at the Fraubook "Justice" page has apparently been interviewed by the police (per some other poster there) and provides the update below.

My take on the use of the word "COMPLEX" is that Hoover may have led something of a compartmentalized life. So perhaps the police are having to put some kind of jigsaw puzzle together to get a complete picture. And even people who knew "Devon" may not know everything about him. Sometimes people who are out among certain friends may not even tell them about everything (or everyone) they're into. - jmho

===============

UPDATE -

May 7,2023

Unfortunately, there hasn’t been any movement publicly on the ongoing investigation.

I see a lot of people don’t like I use the word COMPLEX to describe the situation but that’s what it is….. simply complex.

A lot of you knew Dr. Hoover but not Devon.

If you knew Devon then you would know he often hosted events at his home. Hundreds if not, thousands have been in and out of his home over the years. He often invited perfect strangers into his home and life.

Devon had a big heart and trusted everyone. The last thing he would’ve ever though was someone would harm him.

Unfortunately, sometimes we as humans we put ourselves in harms way, with/without knowing it. We let our better judgment and guard down.

Which clearly a individual/individuals seized on that as a opportunity to harm him.

With that all being said….

Remember Evil Never Prevails.

by Anonymousreply 385May 7, 2023 8:55 PM

Forget it Jake, it’s Detroit.

by Anonymousreply 386May 7, 2023 10:38 PM

Let’s just address what’s on everyone’s mind:

We at the Maiden Aunts Brigade Fireside Detectidiva Society want R365 investigated as a suspect. He is another gay MD , and it’s entirely possible the two fought for the attention of a twink groupie at a medical convention.

This case has stalled and we must look into every possibility - #YourImmediateAttentionToThisMatterIsAppreciated

by Anonymousreply 387May 7, 2023 11:45 PM

Romans 6:23 "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."

by Anonymousreply 388May 8, 2023 12:13 AM

I’m not a Christian and I admit to being a little thick. WTF does that Roman quote mean?

by Anonymousreply 389May 8, 2023 12:26 AM

R389, r388 is trying to infer that Devon was involved with sexual debauchery . The homosexual kind . It’s something that the phobic haters will use against Devon .

by Anonymousreply 390May 8, 2023 12:32 AM

I haven't checked this thread in a week or so. Has DL cracked the case yet?

by Anonymousreply 391May 8, 2023 12:34 AM

R384 It's a very long story involving academic health center skullduggery, relationships, multiple widowhoods, and second career building

by Anonymousreply 392May 8, 2023 12:58 AM

And perhaps the coveting of rare antimacassars.

by Anonymousreply 393May 8, 2023 1:25 AM

^^ oh! I’m sorry!

I thought r392 was summing up the Detroit case for r391! Excuse it, please.

(signed) r393

by Anonymousreply 394May 8, 2023 1:29 AM

I can see that the coveting of rare antimacassars can lure you from California to Birmingham , Alabama.

by Anonymousreply 395May 8, 2023 1:40 AM

[quote]R388 is trying to infer that Devon was involved with sexual debauchery . The homosexual kind . It’s something that the phobic haters will use against Devon.

The listener infers. The speaker implies.

by Anonymousreply 396May 8, 2023 1:57 AM

Thank you for the English lesson r396.

by Anonymousreply 397May 8, 2023 2:51 AM

I bet Our Devon used perfect grammar : (

(Moment of Silence)

by Anonymousreply 398May 8, 2023 2:56 AM

R385 “Remember Evil Never Prevails.”

Somebody needs to explain the world—past, present, and future—to that person. And as for you, Missy, it’s only May and you’re dangerously close to reaching your maximum of quotation mark usage for the year.

by Anonymousreply 399May 8, 2023 3:15 AM

R385, nearly half of the murders in the US remain unsolved.

by Anonymousreply 400May 8, 2023 3:19 AM

And a few decades ago the clearance rate was 70%

by Anonymousreply 401May 8, 2023 4:04 AM

r392, UAB is known as a good research medical school - especially for such a small red state. Hope you are thriving there.

by Anonymousreply 402May 8, 2023 4:09 AM

I think the only new things are that the other charges related to the person of interest didn't materialize, and that's why they had to release him, but he remains the focus of the investigation.

From WDIV-4 Detroit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 403May 8, 2023 9:13 PM

He probably picked up some guy off the street, brought him home, had sex, then the guy killed him in a botched attempt to burglarize the home.

by Anonymousreply 404May 8, 2023 10:02 PM

Would a random killer take the time to hide the body in a crawlspace?

by Anonymousreply 405May 8, 2023 10:04 PM

R405, a random killer presumably would flee the scene as soon as possible. He wouldn’t know that there was a crawlspace or that he had enough time to wrap up the body and drag it upstairs.

by Anonymousreply 406May 8, 2023 11:09 PM

r404, a neighbor who was a vice president for a major bank was openly gay but had a weird kinky side in which he brought home the wrong homeless guy home for sex and was murdered. But my neighbor was creepy and unkind. Dr. Hoover seemed more likeable, but who knows what his "secret life" might have involved.

by Anonymousreply 407May 9, 2023 12:10 AM

It's likely the Law & Order SVU episode will be broadcast before this case is actually solved.

by Anonymousreply 408May 9, 2023 12:27 AM

R 402 - Thank you, Yes I am at UAB and have stayed there for years when I had only intended it to be a temp job. I have thrived in Birmingham in general. It's not like the rest of Alabama at all.

by Anonymousreply 409May 9, 2023 12:33 AM

He needs my vitamin cocktail stat!

by Anonymousreply 410May 9, 2023 12:42 AM

R407, that sounds sorta like the murder of Peter Arne

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411May 9, 2023 12:51 AM

Proof once again what Ive always said ...no matter what you accomplish and what good youve brought to the world,when it boils down to it your just a faggot. Even this poor mans life will be reduced to bringing home the wrong trick.

by Anonymousreply 412May 9, 2023 1:34 AM

R412, we need to do everything in our individual and collective power to ensure that doesn’t happen.

by Anonymousreply 413May 9, 2023 1:37 AM

I really hope the perp wasn’t a “straight” guy.

by Anonymousreply 414May 9, 2023 2:45 AM

R409

A lot of Johns Hopkins researchers moved to UAB years ago…early 2000s. It’s an excellent med/public health school.

by Anonymousreply 415May 9, 2023 3:02 AM

I’m not quite sure of your point, R412. The Detroit police are giving this case a lot of time and attention, much more than they would do for most of the other murders that happen in the city. (There were 309 murders in Detroit in 2022.)

As for “bringing home the wrong trick”, bringing a random stranger to your home for sex is dangerous. The fact that Dr. Hoover was gay doesn’t make it less dangerous. We don’t even know that that’s what happened, as the killer could have been someone who knew him.

Where does "just a faggot" come into it?

by Anonymousreply 416May 9, 2023 9:42 AM

He just wanted to use “f-ggot”, R416.

A poster from another thread. This is Datalounge:

[quote][R98] I used faggot all the time you fucktard.

by Anonymousreply 417May 9, 2023 11:01 AM

Police are offering a 1k reward for tips.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418May 10, 2023 1:24 AM

R418 well they definitely think it’s someone from the other side of the tracks.

by Anonymousreply 419May 10, 2023 1:42 AM

Pretty soon they'll be a GoFundMe.

by Anonymousreply 420May 10, 2023 4:17 AM

Nothing about the autopsy results, people?

One black sock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421May 11, 2023 12:06 AM

[quote] Fingernail clippings and samples were taken from Hoover's body for a rape kit, according to the autopsy.

Would the autopsy be able to tell if it was consensual or not?

by Anonymousreply 422May 11, 2023 12:10 AM

So sexual activity was suspected ? Only one sock ? This sounds like a murder motivated by hate and rage

by Anonymousreply 423May 11, 2023 12:52 AM

They haven't said much about the gun. So the perp brought the gun with him, or carries it around with him? Doubtful it was Hoover's.

Also, it would be interesting to know if there were any defensive wounds on Hoover. That might be complicated by his body having been dragged up stairs to the attic.

by Anonymousreply 424May 11, 2023 12:59 AM

[quote]So sexual activity was suspected ? Only one sock ?

The rape kit raises the question more than one sock. Then there's this:

[quote]Hoover, 53, was first shot behind his right ear and then shot in the back of his head [...]

It's easy to see why they assumed it was domestic. Whether he was dressing or undressing, he presumably felt comfortable enough in his own home to have his back to his killer.

by Anonymousreply 425May 11, 2023 1:10 AM

R422 If these (anal) walls could talk…

by Anonymousreply 426May 11, 2023 2:30 AM

The sock puppet did it.

by Anonymousreply 427May 11, 2023 2:35 AM

I'm a big buff guy and I can't imagine dragging/carrying a body upstairs. Maybe two guys involved here. Plus what's the point? The smell of a rotting corpse will lead all right to it.

by Anonymousreply 428May 11, 2023 2:40 AM

Shot behind the ear ? That smacks of a professional shooter. Most acts of rage arent that precise.

by Anonymousreply 429May 11, 2023 2:40 AM

I don’t think anything will come of this.

by Anonymousreply 430May 11, 2023 2:41 AM

Why hide the body if you drag it and smear blood along the way leading to where the body was deposited?

by Anonymousreply 431May 11, 2023 2:42 AM

Because the perp wasn’t very bright^.

by Anonymousreply 432May 11, 2023 2:49 AM

No...No...No....You always bury the body. Who doesn't know this? Who has time for this kind of mess? And dragging around bodies?....No...No..No....

by Anonymousreply 433May 11, 2023 2:51 AM

[quote]Shot behind the ear ? That smacks of a professional shooter. Most acts of rage arent that precise.

They could just be describing where one of the bullets entered his skull. It wasn't necessarily planned.

by Anonymousreply 434May 11, 2023 3:27 AM

[quote] Only one sock ? This sounds like a murder motivated by hate and rage

Maybe he was undressing and threw a sock in the corner instead of the laundry hamper (AGAIN!) and a fussy bf just[italic] lost it?

by Anonymousreply 435May 11, 2023 4:50 AM

"I'm not running a bed and breakfast here!"

by Anonymousreply 436May 11, 2023 4:55 AM

He didn't have a thing for Ludvig from The Guy Site, did he?

by Anonymousreply 437May 11, 2023 4:58 AM

Ya feed the body to the hogs.

by Anonymousreply 438May 11, 2023 7:36 AM

R429 = Lee Harvey Oswald.

by Anonymousreply 439May 11, 2023 8:40 AM

What a gruesome death.

OTOH once again we see that Detroit has some lovely homes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440May 11, 2023 9:12 AM

This latest disclosure of details is so sad. But I also believe that they'll figure out who did it. Phone or text records, fingerprints, DNA, whatever.

by Anonymousreply 441May 11, 2023 9:28 AM

One thousand dollar reward for information? Rats, snitches and thugs don't usually get out of bed to take a piss for that kind of money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442May 11, 2023 9:53 AM

I thought the same thing, R442.

by Anonymousreply 443May 11, 2023 11:48 AM

RIP

by Anonymousreply 444May 11, 2023 2:28 PM

Anonymous Participant is leaking rumors of cruising on the Facebook group. The fraus will be jumping ship soon.

by Anonymousreply 445May 11, 2023 3:16 PM

R442 Unless private citizens put up the reward money, I wouldn't expect much more to be offered - Detroit ain't broke, but it's close.

And if the thought of a $1000 gets a low-level snitch - for whom a grand might mean something - to tell them something they saw or heard or heard about, it'll be money well spent.

by Anonymousreply 446May 11, 2023 5:28 PM

R445 you please share with those not on FB

by Anonymousreply 447May 11, 2023 5:46 PM

Any pictures from inside the house? Was he a Tasteful Friend?

by Anonymousreply 448May 11, 2023 5:47 PM

There's a real possibility that those close to the Doc, may not want to find out who did this. Not if it brings out personal, private information about the doctor's private life.

by Anonymousreply 449May 11, 2023 6:28 PM

Maybe it was a hate crime. Maybe the doctor went online or somehow solicited for a hook up and the wrong guy came to the house. Doc thought he was turning his back to his trick for sex, but he got a bullet instead.

by Anonymousreply 450May 11, 2023 6:32 PM

R450 Some have been saying they should label it a hate crime so they can call in the FBI.

by Anonymousreply 451May 11, 2023 7:00 PM

I've read stories about robbers using gay hookup apps to find victims. This victim had a house loaded with valuables.

by Anonymousreply 452May 11, 2023 7:39 PM

The police haven't said anything about robbery being involved. Of course, he had so much stuff, maybe they can't tell. .. But you'd think they'd have done a walk-through with the maid to help determine this. Even after the break-in the following week, it was said they didn't know if anything had been taken.

by Anonymousreply 453May 11, 2023 7:48 PM

R448 Yes, he was a tasteful friend. who was said to be into painstakingly restoring the house and its period details and manicuring the grounds. He built a greenhouse in the backyard to replicate the original one that had been there. He was also into buying antiques and collecting certain objects d'art. There's a photo from inside the house up at R98.

Here's a couple more. Looks like he enjoyed hosting Christmas soirées.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 454May 11, 2023 9:41 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 455May 11, 2023 9:42 PM

I assume this one set of his tasteful friends' wheels.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456May 11, 2023 9:47 PM

It's sad that he never found the right girl to settle down with

by Anonymousreply 457May 11, 2023 9:51 PM

Thanks R454. He could have been real boyfriend material.

by Anonymousreply 458May 11, 2023 9:55 PM

Having said that, living alone on this huge dark house (in Detroit!!) would have freaked me out.

by Anonymousreply 459May 11, 2023 9:57 PM

He was cute

by Anonymousreply 460May 11, 2023 9:59 PM

LE and everyone else are tippy-toeing about what seems obvious to rest of us; this was some sort of gay domestic dispute ranging from someone not taking rejection or being possibly turfed out well, or a hook-up/fuck-buddy or something of that nature who snapped.

What surprises one given that area (and Detroit in general) there doesn't seem to have been security cameras covering at least outdoors. Or maybe there were and whoever did the deed disabled or otherwise fucked with them.

Nearly everyone nowadays has security cameras nowadays, at least covering entrances (front, back or side doors.

by Anonymousreply 461May 11, 2023 10:05 PM

You think another gay man did this? ^

by Anonymousreply 462May 11, 2023 10:12 PM

Gay, G4P, whatever you want; remember how poor Ramon Novarro met his untimely demise?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463May 11, 2023 10:20 PM

Other common possibility is the other side where the good doctor is offed by a jealous husband or boyfriend of some female he was rolling around with; but we've not heard anything about a girlfriend.

You have a man found dead totally nude except for one black sock. Thus far LE aren't saying there was signs of forced entry yet they do admit upon first entering the house they knew something had happened.

If one has story correct several days after the murder someone else returns to burglarize home. Was this house just a random choice or did burglar know he wouldn't be bothered?

by Anonymousreply 464May 11, 2023 10:26 PM

Home in located in Detroit's "Boston-Edison Historic District". IIRC one or maybe more properties from this area were featured as "Tasteful Friends" threads on DL.

This particular property is the "Benjamin Siegel House"

Such a fucking shame the doctor was putting so much time, effort and money into restoring this property, only to meet his death in it not long after purchase.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465May 11, 2023 10:34 PM

Boston Edison Historic District contains many fine mansions and other homes built by or for prominent Detroit residents largely in early part of last century (Henry Ford was a resident). As Detroit's fortunes changed (usually along with families who owned these great piles) things sort of went down hill.

There has been however a concerted effort for some time now to bring the area back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 466May 11, 2023 10:38 PM

[quote] ... only to meet his death in it not long after purchase.

R465 He bought the place 15 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 467May 11, 2023 10:42 PM

R463. ¡Yo recuerdo!

by Anonymousreply 468May 11, 2023 10:44 PM

Kresge family estate in historic Boston Edison was up for sale a few years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 469May 11, 2023 10:44 PM

Thank you R467

by Anonymousreply 470May 11, 2023 10:45 PM

Kresge mansion is still on the market.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 471May 11, 2023 11:01 PM

The doctor’s house was designed by Albert Kahn!

by Anonymousreply 472May 11, 2023 11:35 PM

R453 “But you'd think they'd have done a walk-through with the maid”

I hear he recently had to let Helga go.

by Anonymousreply 473May 12, 2023 12:18 AM

R452 There was the case of the Butch Sous Chef.

by Anonymousreply 474May 12, 2023 12:27 AM

R471 That place is magnificent. It rivals a Royal British estate.

by Anonymousreply 475May 12, 2023 12:38 AM

Sounds like surprise anal followed by surprise shooting. Or maybe the anal part wasn't exactly a surprise.

by Anonymousreply 476May 12, 2023 1:20 AM

Find the other sock and you’ve found the killer.

Obviously it was kept as a souvenir.

by Anonymousreply 477May 12, 2023 5:21 AM

[R477] maybe the other sock was stuffed in his mouth...

by Anonymousreply 478May 12, 2023 7:17 AM

One or more gun shots to head while victim is face down commonly is referred to as "execution" style killing.

This is murder in first degree, as someone wanted to intentionally kill the good doctor. There's none of "we both reached for the gun" about situations like this at all.

by Anonymousreply 479May 12, 2023 8:11 AM

DPD investigators were apparently back at the home yesterday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480May 12, 2023 7:14 PM

They need to search the home!

by Anonymousreply 481May 12, 2023 8:37 PM

The calls are coming from inside the house!!!

by Anonymousreply 482May 12, 2023 9:26 PM

I wonder what was on his playlist? That one laying flat in the stack on top (with the pink and blue cover) looks like the case to a CD I own (Pet Shop Boys, "Disco").

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 483May 12, 2023 10:02 PM

I didn't know him, so I can't speak to anything other than his profession, but: what a terrible loss of knowledge and skill. I think of how hard he must have worked, the knowledge he must have acquired, and it just guts me that it's all gone now.

by Anonymousreply 484May 12, 2023 10:25 PM

R483, you sound homophobic. It’s pretty obvious he was gay . I guess he deserved to be murdered right ?

by Anonymousreply 485May 12, 2023 10:26 PM

You know his answer, R485.

by Anonymousreply 486May 12, 2023 10:27 PM

R485 Not sure how you got that from what I asked. I love Pet Shop Boys and play their Disco remix album often . That's all.

by Anonymousreply 487May 12, 2023 10:34 PM

If he was shot execution style, that would suggest it's not a crime of passion, right? Has it been established if anything was taken from the house (besides his car). Before I knew anything about his sexuality, the parties he threw, or the people who lived there, I thought it could be a relative of a patient who had an unfortunate outcome. It's happened before. Hoover was the best of the best, almost a miracle worker. Someone could have had unrealistic expectations about best case scenarios for the most difficult and serious cases.

by Anonymousreply 488May 12, 2023 10:37 PM

"If he was shot execution style, that would suggest it's not a crime of passion, right?"

Define "passion"

Late doctor was nude except for one sock, he was either getting undressed or dressed, but for what and why we don't know nor likely will until killer is caught and spills the beans.

by Anonymousreply 489May 12, 2023 10:45 PM

Executions are a sign of passion?

by Anonymousreply 490May 12, 2023 10:49 PM

Killer must have been fairly strong to drag the body around and hide it. Or there were multiple killers

by Anonymousreply 491May 12, 2023 10:51 PM

I didn't say executions are a crime of passion.

How's this, r489?

[QUOTE]A crime of passion is a term in criminal law that refers to a crime committed in the "heat of passion." This is usually in response to a provocation. It differs from other violent crimes in that it is neither deliberated nor premeditated.

by Anonymousreply 492May 12, 2023 10:52 PM

Ending of opera "Carmen" where José suddenly murders Carmen would be a crime of passion. In real world back then he would have swung for it never the less, but you never know, a skilled attorney might have had his life spared.

Telling someone to get undressed, or while they are already forcing them to lie on floor face down before shooting them with a gun isn't exactly a spur of the moment/heat of passion thing.

You come home and find your husband In flagrante delicto with someone, fucking their brains out. You have a momentary "loss of reason" get a knife and start stabbing away, or perhaps get a gun (always conveniently somewhere in house) and start firing away. Either way that would be more of a crime of passion. Well you could try using it as a defense; maybe a jury will buy it, maybe not.

by Anonymousreply 493May 12, 2023 11:04 PM

If that Kresge mansion were in NYC area or few others instead of Detroit it would have sold by now and likely for big money. Even Gold Coast and some other areas of Chicago are better locations.

by Anonymousreply 494May 13, 2023 12:02 AM

I know the Kresge family. They have two vacation house around the corner from mine. Very low key and very nice down to earth people.

by Anonymousreply 495May 13, 2023 12:57 AM

R488, he seems to have been shot at close range; I don’t know if that necessarily qualifies as “execution-style.” All of the other details—he was killed in his own home, he was naked, the killer made a time-consuming effort to hid his body—indicate that the motive was probably personal.

by Anonymousreply 496May 13, 2023 1:14 AM

Hiding the body could allow for some cursory clean up and getaway time.

by Anonymousreply 497May 13, 2023 1:28 AM

R497, it might, but dragging a dead body up the stairs takes time and creates more of a mess. You’d have to hope you hadn’t left a bloody footprint, etc.

by Anonymousreply 498May 13, 2023 1:54 AM

Now we know he was nekkid when killed. Hence, psycho lover or bad trick. The killer wanted him dead. Shots to the head. Body covered and moved to the attic says the killer knew sort of maybe the victim's house -- not quite a random trick. Who wouldn't fall in love with this cute, smart, loving guy? I think he was into kinky rough trade. A power bottom who liked them young, strong, violent, desperate, and dumb. The whole tightly wound, perfectionist, repressed Indiana Mennonite only male child neurosurgeon with six sisters thing.

by Anonymousreply 499May 13, 2023 2:22 AM

Like I said upthread,he's just going to be reduced to a fag with bad taste in tricks. The family better get their asses to Detroit or that house will be empty in a weekend. The cops will steal everything if the criminals dont. I bet you theres already scads of shit missing.

by Anonymousreply 500May 13, 2023 2:26 AM

[quote]r500 Like I said upthread,he's just going to be reduced to a fag with bad taste in tricks.

But you’re the only one calling him that.

What do you get out of repeatedly doing so?

by Anonymousreply 501May 13, 2023 2:40 AM

Sad about his passing.

by Anonymousreply 502May 13, 2023 3:10 AM

OK. I'm going to look into my crystal ball based on what we know so far, and say this was someone who knew his house. He may have even gotten a tour of the house by the Doc who was so enthusiastic about his restoration and his collections. So this perp may have been someone the Doc was hoping to get to know better, but maybe they had been seeing each other for a few weeks, not steady, but regular. I doubt they had known one another longer than maybe 6 month at most. And it is also probably they were introduced by someone else who didn't know the perp that well. At some point, this casual relationship, this person made a conscious decision to rob him. I think maybe they had sex, and then he killed him. I can see Doc laying on his belly, and the perp puts two bullets in him. Surprise! Then he wr aps him in a sheet and drags him upstairs. Or maybe it was supposed to be a threesome. And two guys dragged him up to the attic. Was he killed in his bedroom? On the second floor?

by Anonymousreply 503May 13, 2023 3:54 AM

Gee R481, why didn’t we think of that?

by Anonymousreply 504May 13, 2023 5:00 AM

Nothing has been disclosed by law enforcement. The lurid details have been the result of the publication of the autopsy and Facebook posts from some who knew him. He was in to BBC, until recently had a black live-in partner. Friends have stated that he used to cruise black neighborhoods for pickups. He was not on the down low, used to cruise in a Land Rover and the new one was white. The car was stolen after the murder, assumed by the perpetrator, who needed a ride home. The fraus on the Facebook site are still in denial about some of the details. I am sure that LE is sensitive to the racial issues. He was a gifted surgeon and his death is a great loss for the community.

by Anonymousreply 505May 13, 2023 6:08 AM

"Is that code for: Only homosexuals who bring hustlers into their home are in danger?"

We need an amber alert for gays who are into hustlers

by Anonymousreply 506May 13, 2023 6:37 AM

[quote]Is that code for: Only homosexuals who bring hustlers into their home are in danger?

Absolutely. 100%.

by Anonymousreply 507May 13, 2023 10:50 AM

You’re safer with openly gay or openly bisexual escorts, however. You are not safe with “straight” escorts. There’s still risk with both, but if you value your life, avoid “straight” escorts.

by Anonymousreply 508May 13, 2023 10:52 AM

You know cruising bars for sex hook ups is a very dangerous past time. Always has been. And yet Gay or Straight, people have been doing it for decades.

by Anonymousreply 509May 13, 2023 1:42 PM

Gay men who seek “straight” have a death wish.

by Anonymousreply 510May 13, 2023 1:44 PM

I have to wonder about Doc's habits. Did he go to dive bars or to nice places? Did he meet Gay guys and become friendly and hang out a few times before he invited them to his house? I just get the feeling that who ever killed him was more than a one night stand. I'm not suggesting the perp was a a r eal lover, but a casual friend he hooked up with a few times. Determining what was stolen from that house is going to be difficult. They'll have to pour over photos and interview a lot of people. I'm assuming his personal effects were rifled thru.

by Anonymousreply 511May 13, 2023 1:50 PM

I do have to hand it to the Detroit PD for keeping details tight and undisclosed in furtherance of the investigation. They must want avoid the Reddit, Websleuths, and 4chan crazies like the plague. With good reason, of course.

by Anonymousreply 512May 13, 2023 2:30 PM

I’m impressed this thread is still open!

by Anonymousreply 513May 13, 2023 3:05 PM

R483 that's a great photo! You know that there's some Duran Duran in there, too!

by Anonymousreply 514May 13, 2023 3:08 PM

I think the cops would want to know all about his possessions especially the collectors items. Because if someone tries to sell them they can track that. But I'm guessing if anything is missing it will be simple stuff hard to track, like jewelry or other stuff.

by Anonymousreply 515May 13, 2023 5:52 PM

Let's monitor Ebay!

by Anonymousreply 516May 13, 2023 5:52 PM

Datalounge Detective Agency is on it!

by Anonymousreply 517May 13, 2023 6:52 PM

Yes, two shots to the head would definitely leave a trail of blood when dragging the body. Let’s hope the always helpful but painfully modest Melanie Hamilton Wilkes was there to shed her nightgown to wrap around the head of the decedent.

“Well, I guess I’ve done murder. I won’t think about that now. I’ll think about that tomorrow…”

by Anonymousreply 518May 13, 2023 7:15 PM

I wonder if there were signs of struggle I doubt it since he was naked except for one sock. Shot in the back of his head? I bet he didn't expect that.

by Anonymousreply 519May 13, 2023 7:25 PM

[quote]R519 Let’s hope the always helpful but painfully modest Melanie Hamilton Wilkes was there to shed her nightgown to wrap around the head of the decedent.

At one point I played that scene frame-by-frame, and at one point you can JUST see there’s the edge of a strapless beige bra peeking up.

The police should look for someone dressed like that.

by Anonymousreply 520May 13, 2023 7:30 PM

Heres my "black trade" story .Not racist,just relaying my experience with them. I never saw color in my pursuit of dick. Or how they identified. All I was focused on was getting the dick. I was working nights at a convenience store and met this black guy. We clicked,and soon were getting it on. HUGE dick,but I digress. I worked there for a couple of years,and had an apt 2 blocks away.He and I hooked up a few times,but then it sort of waned and we just became friends. I trusted him so highly Id let him crash at my place when I was at work. One night I was off and he and I were having some drinks and hanging out,and we decide to fuck. We do our thing,and afterwards Im sitting naked in the living room as he's cleaning up .He comes walking out of the kitchen ,walks up to me,and punches me in the nose . Blood flew everywhere. As Im bent over he stabs me in the back with a paring knife,then drags me by my hair into the bedroom and throws me on the bed.

Mind you Im blinded by pain,and utterly shocked as I never ever expected that from him. Heres the part I never tell anyone....as I was laying on that bed fighting for my life I see he's rock hard. That scared me more than the knife truth be told. He holds the knife to my face and tells me to turn over or he'll cut it open.I comply,and he brutally rapes me for a good 30 mins.We had fucked right before this all started so it took him longer. He ripped me wide open,and this was after Id already been fucked earlier. I was in pain from head to toe. He finally finishes again,then rolls off me and pulls the comforter over my head. I knew instantly he was going to stab me to death. I roll off the bed and run into the living room .He catches me by the door and I grab a heavy vase off the end table and start whaling on his head with it. He managed to get to the front door carrying his clothes and fighting me the entire time .He opens it and runs down the stairs and was gone.

My next door neighbor heard the whole thing and never called the police . I use her phone as he had ripped mine out of the wall and called 911. The cops thought it was hilarious,and the emt's refused to treat me because od Aids.This was in 95-96 for gods sake. My mother came and took me to the emergency room where I got stitches in my stab wounds and my ass . Since then,Im terrified to even try to sleep with a black man. My head knows thats irrational,but my heart kicks into panic mode. I knew that guy well,I trusted him in my home,and he rapes me and tries to kill me ?

by Anonymousreply 521May 13, 2023 8:51 PM

Since this thread apparently has gone down that rabbit hole....

BBC. black or even certain Latino/Hispanic trade can be a dangerous road to go down. More so if a gay man is even somewhat prominent and or reasonably wealthy. Quite honestly rough trade in general isn't a good idea for same demographic for host of same reasons; as noted upthread something poor Ramon Navarro found out.

Suppose things might be different if one finds some "Oreo" black guy or kid who comes from a middle class or above background, is out and proud or at least comfortable with his sexuality not to freak out about gay sex in all its forms.

by Anonymousreply 522May 13, 2023 9:07 PM

It’s not even a good idea to go to a motel, not just host. They will follow you home. ^

by Anonymousreply 523May 13, 2023 9:11 PM

Three weeks coming up The murderer could be long gone by now.

So even if they i.d. someone, it could turn into an "America's Most Wanted" case.

by Anonymousreply 524May 13, 2023 9:25 PM

[Quote] Since then,Im terrified to even try to sleep with a black man.

The issue wasn’t that he was black, it was because he was poor and of low class.

Black Harvard graduates don’t tend to do this.

by Anonymousreply 525May 13, 2023 9:34 PM

[quote]The issue wasn’t that he was black, it was because he was poor and of low class.

White gay progressives always point out that blacks are poor and low class.

by Anonymousreply 526May 13, 2023 9:37 PM

[Quote] White gay progressives always point out that blacks are poor and low class.

White conservatives can’t real and analyze correctly

by Anonymousreply 527May 13, 2023 9:50 PM

^read

by Anonymousreply 528May 13, 2023 9:50 PM

[quote]can’t real

I’m being real. Too real.

by Anonymousreply 529May 13, 2023 9:59 PM

Please, as if there aren't a shit-ton of white hustlers who have killed or beaten their clients

by Anonymousreply 530May 13, 2023 10:25 PM

Oh definitely. Most “straight”.

by Anonymousreply 531May 13, 2023 10:52 PM

But you won’t hear R527 claiming those whites are poor and low class. You’d probably hear they’re rightwing, Trumpers, neo-Nazis, etc.

by Anonymousreply 532May 13, 2023 10:54 PM

[quote] He catches me by the door and I grab a heavy vase off the end table

Thank god you decorate!

by Anonymousreply 533May 13, 2023 11:35 PM

The only person strong enough to kill a man and drag him up those stairs is Soft Butch Sous Chef. She was out on a day pass.

by Anonymousreply 534May 14, 2023 1:33 AM

[quote] But you won’t hear [R527] claiming those whites are poor and low class. You’d probably hear they’re rightwing, Trumpers, neo-Nazis, etc.

The trumpers/Neo-Nazis and the poor and low class are one and the same

by Anonymousreply 535May 14, 2023 1:48 AM

That’s not very nice^.

by Anonymousreply 536May 14, 2023 1:55 AM

Reminds me of this a little bit...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537May 14, 2023 3:39 AM

Any breakthroughs?

by Anonymousreply 538May 14, 2023 4:17 AM

The Justice Facebook group is a fucking shit show and I think it's worse than some of the weird shit you see on Websleuths. There's a guy (not the anonymous participant) who has posted a lot of weird shit, but he doesn't get called out for it.

by Anonymousreply 539May 14, 2023 5:11 AM

[quote] I wonder if there were signs of struggle I doubt it since he was naked except for one sock. Shot in the back of his head? I bet he didn't expect that.

Yes, naked except for one sock, and shot in the back of the head, he was probably expecting surprise anal, not annihilation.

by Anonymousreply 540May 14, 2023 6:00 PM

link to his Facebook justice page please

by Anonymousreply 541May 14, 2023 6:01 PM

R540, how do you “expect” surprise anal?

by Anonymousreply 542May 14, 2023 6:04 PM

R541 Try this link.

DL has been weird with FB links for awhile now, so if it doesn't work, just go there and type in"Justice for Dr. Devon Hoover" in the search box.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543May 14, 2023 6:07 PM

According to her granddaughter, the housekeeper has taken in his dog, "Lucy." Apparently,. she used to dog sit for Hoover when he was out of town, so staying with her is said to be familiar to the orphaned pooch.

I don't know if this is Lucy in the photo link, but he's seen with a dog of this breed in a few other pics.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 544May 14, 2023 9:00 PM

The housekeeper always gets the dog. Motive???

by Anonymousreply 545May 14, 2023 9:59 PM

Since he was closeted and beloved by his patients, could the killer be a Frau client who was intent on fixing him up with her daughter?

She found out The Truth… then SNAPPED??

by Anonymousreply 546May 14, 2023 10:00 PM

^ She was last heard shrieking "I want grandbabies!"

by Anonymousreply 547May 14, 2023 10:42 PM

R546, detests and fears women .

by Anonymousreply 548May 15, 2023 12:01 AM

Those Mennonite women are original gangstas, I tell ya.

by Anonymousreply 549May 15, 2023 12:12 AM

Awww, get out your hankies, girls.

"...Devon was the fourth child of seven and the middle member of what the family affectionately called "the three little ones." He took initiative in this little group, planning their pretend games and determining the rules that governed their play. Games of Monopoly went on for days as he kept suggesting new rules to extend the game and helped negotiate bank loans for struggling players. His early life was not all play and included plenty of manual labor. Until he left for college, Devon worked on the family dairy farm--milking the cows, planting and harvesting crops, and doing many other chores alongside the rest of the family. One of his hobbies was tending his own small garden in the backyard, which he had filled with herbs and perennials. He also raised and sold potatoes during his teenage years..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 550May 15, 2023 12:17 AM

Seems like a really nice guy. Too bad it ended this way. Regardless of who did it, or why, he didn’t deserve it. If Detroit has a woke DA, that will work in favor for the murderer. Use the “gay panic” defense, and the non-woke will come to the murderer’s advantage as well. Poor guy.

by Anonymousreply 551May 15, 2023 12:26 AM

[QUOTE]If Detroit has a woke DA, that will work in favor for the murderer.

Why do you believe this to be the case in an execution style murder? Or are you here from Storm Front?

by Anonymousreply 552May 15, 2023 12:32 AM

[quote] Use the “gay panic” defense.

How do you use a gay panic defense, if you show up with a loaded gun on you?

by Anonymousreply 553May 15, 2023 12:51 AM

Republicans whine about "woke" DAs and yet tons of places with high crime have "tough on crime" right-wing DAs. Hint: crime isn't caused by who the DA is. If mass incarceration led to less crime, the US would be the safest country in the world

by Anonymousreply 554May 15, 2023 1:02 AM

R449 = B. Saget's Ghost.

by Anonymousreply 555May 15, 2023 1:50 AM

R505 unfortunately yes, when a clean cut middle aged white guy shows up cruising around in a notoriously sketchy black Detroit neighborhood in a $100K+ Land Rover, you know it’s for one of the 2 D’s - Drugs or Dick. Both sides of the equation know how this game works.

by Anonymousreply 556May 15, 2023 2:36 AM

Speaking of drugs ... Since he's a medical doctor, maybe a random thought they could get a prescription out of him then went crazy-nuts when he refused.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557May 15, 2023 2:54 AM

Devon was a victim!! We need to stop trying to justify cold blooded murder.

by Anonymousreply 558May 15, 2023 2:56 AM

Damn he was cute (per pics at R550). Too bad Lucy could not protect him.

by Anonymousreply 559May 15, 2023 3:09 AM

R558 I don't think anyone is trying to "justify". I think we ar e speculating about motive, looking for an explanation, trying to figure out what cause someone to kill him.

by Anonymousreply 560May 15, 2023 3:12 AM

R559 I was thinking that if he was expected to be at the family gathering in Indiana -- his no-show there is what prompted the initial wellness-check -- then perhaps the dog may not have been at his house and already staying with the dog-sitter.

by Anonymousreply 561May 15, 2023 6:17 AM

R488 - As ridiculous as it sounds, I'm hoping for my scenario because the others are too horrible to contemplate.

The murdered D.C. principal at r537 makes me think some people feel guilty and seek punishment for having good lives, despite what they were told. Internalized hatred and a deathwish is the best spin I can put on "How could you be so stupid?"

by Anonymousreply 562May 15, 2023 7:06 AM

The dog was in her cage in the basement, that is why she was of no assistance.

by Anonymousreply 563May 15, 2023 12:59 PM

Are you sure he wasn’t also in a cage, before being dragged to the attic? Fifty Shades of 8 Mile Road

by Anonymousreply 564May 15, 2023 1:09 PM

R563, that seems kinda cruel .

by Anonymousreply 565May 15, 2023 1:11 PM

Maybe it was Lucy who dragged him to the attic, wrapped him up, and then misplaced the (accidentally discharged) gun. My dog would do that.

by Anonymousreply 566May 15, 2023 4:12 PM

R565 Sometimes pet owners will put older incontinent pets in crates or cages at night.

by Anonymousreply 567May 15, 2023 4:26 PM

R565, that may have been a sign either than someone new was going to stop by, or that someone the dog did not like was going to be there.

by Anonymousreply 568May 15, 2023 5:10 PM

Some dogs love their cages. And Lucy might be used to hers.

by Anonymousreply 569May 15, 2023 5:22 PM

Yes, R568, and maybe someone not the Doctor, put the dog in the cage. You know it's said that dogs howl like crazy when their master dies. So bringing the doctor up to the attic, all wrapped in plastic, and leaving the dog crated in the basement may have been done by the perp, if the perp knew the dog was around. Of course maybe Doc put the dog in its cage before his guest arrived so as not to disturb them.

by Anonymousreply 570May 15, 2023 6:50 PM

He drove Mr Magoo's car.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571May 16, 2023 12:24 AM

How has a SEX ANGLE not been revealed yet?. We all know what this is going to be.

by Anonymousreply 572May 16, 2023 1:15 AM

R572 Well, we've heard about the rape kit that was ordered subsequent to the autopsy.

There is very likely more in the autopsy report regarding the state of his body, but the "Detroit Free Press" might be being more cautious, not to mention considerate than the "Bakersfield Californian" that published the entire Chris Burrous' autopsy report and was much-criticized for doing so.

by Anonymousreply 573May 16, 2023 1:30 AM

R573 I'm sure Mai Do was mortified when it was revealed to the public that her white husband was a faggot.

by Anonymousreply 574May 16, 2023 3:13 AM

R574, he died the most humiliating and salacious death ! Horrible image of gay men

by Anonymousreply 575May 16, 2023 3:19 AM

[quote]r573 we've heard about the rape kit that was ordered subsequent to the autopsy.

Oh, my sides!

The only thing that could have raped that gutter trawling whore is a [italic]vagina.[/italic]

Are they testing for THAT?

by Anonymousreply 576May 16, 2023 3:49 AM

So, was the body found in the attic or the crawl space? Aren't these different places in a house?

by Anonymousreply 577May 16, 2023 5:06 AM

R575 Especially with him wearing the filtration mask. It’s like Dennis Hopper in Blue Velvet, so tawdry.

by Anonymousreply 578May 16, 2023 5:11 AM

[quote]r577 in the attic or the crawl space? Aren't these different places?

I find the referral to Sister Hoover’s hole as “a crawl space” to be very disrespectful.

The name calling must stop.

by Anonymousreply 579May 16, 2023 5:46 AM

R577 In homes with an attic, there may be areas in the attic that people refer to as "crawl spaces." These would be areas where the angle of the roof comes down and prevents one from standing up. In some homes, there are actually walls with doors to enter these crawl spaces from the central part of the attic. People are probably just saying "attic" or "crawl space" when it might be more correct to say "attic crawl space."

I know here in California, where I am, most people would hear "crawl space" and immediately think of the area below the house -- that space between the ground and the raised foundation where one can only crawl. But I have relatives in the Midwest, who have full basements that are like another room in the house, so they hear "crawl space" and its going to be up in the attic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 580May 16, 2023 6:10 AM

R580 Thanks for explaining it to me, I assumed crawl space was also 'under the house'.

by Anonymousreply 581May 16, 2023 9:02 AM

Latest from the Facebook group

-The Anonymous participant has posted in the past couple of days. In a post from yesterday, he or she complains about DPD. But, in a post today the AP says the DA and DPD aren't easy to deal with, but he/she believes that DPD is doing what they can to bring justice. The AP also makes mention about how "this case has no borders and exceeds other jurisdictions". I'm guessing possible a hint of a possible Canada connection. The AP again keeps saying how he or she can't give details on what they know.

-Another person posted a pic of a statue that was stolen during the recent break-in at Hoover's house.

by Anonymousreply 582May 17, 2023 12:54 AM

I don’t trust AP 👆🏼. He could be the killer for all we know

by Anonymousreply 583May 17, 2023 1:50 AM

R583 I don't either. I'm surprised that the FB group moderators keep allowing that AP to post especially since the group has been referenced in news articles. I mentioned this above, but that group is pretty much the type of shit show you would see on Websleuths.

I won't knock the tribute posts from the patients. Dr. Hoover seemed to treat his patients pretty well. But, there were posts from several days ago from people saying that the surgeon's wealthy friends or colleagues and Ascension Hospital should donate or start a gofundme to increase the reward for tips. Those posts did annoy some people who pointed out that there shouldn't be a price tag on someone's life and that other unsolved murder cases in Detroit don't have huge rewards.

There are several other people in the group who keep whining about the police not having a press conference. I think if some other high profile murder happens in Detroit or somewhere else in Michigan, Hoover's case will be on the media's back burner and I can see some people in that group having meltdowns.

by Anonymousreply 584May 17, 2023 3:42 AM

Some of the nuttier posters at the Fraubook page are going to find his murderer with prayers and hashtags.

On another note, I see that his gay-married friend in Detroit (seen in the photo with him at R335) stepped into the FB group and told everyone about one of the items that was stolen from Hoover's house the night of the post-murder break-in.

I imagine police must have asked some of his local friends to accompany them and look around the house to help them identify items that might be missing, since DPD initially indicated they didn't know if anything had been taken.

But this bronze statue is BIG, not to mention HEAVY. Someone's not just going to be able to grab that thing and run out of the place.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 585May 17, 2023 9:10 PM

Would that statue be worth anything melted down?

by Anonymousreply 586May 17, 2023 9:23 PM

Was the vintage butt plug collection left untouched??

by Anonymousreply 587May 17, 2023 9:26 PM

R586 Probably not that much. The cost of scrap bronze is currently $2.35/lb. And there'd be some cost involved to melt it.

by Anonymousreply 588May 17, 2023 9:29 PM

P.S. Jordan said the statue is bronze, but the base is stone.

by Anonymousreply 589May 17, 2023 9:33 PM

The stolen statue looks like a replica of the famous one done Antonin Mercié.

[quote] The bronze David was one of his most popular works. The Biblical hero is depicted naked with the head of Goliath at his feet like Donatello's David, but with a turbanned head and sheathing his long sword. Numerous reproductions exist, most of which incorporate a loincloth that covers David's genitalia but not his buttocks. The lifesize original is now in the Musée d'Orsay.

And ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 590May 17, 2023 10:02 PM

Good reproductions the kind he would probably buy of that size currently go for about $7000.

Of course, stolen it would fetch far less.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591May 17, 2023 10:04 PM

Someone has posted a Part 2 to this thread, which is reaching its end.

So I'll do their job for them and post a link. ;)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 592May 18, 2023 6:32 AM

I want this case solved, dammit!Q Too much time has passed. The trail is getting cold. DL can do much better. Who do we have stationed in Detroit? Anyone? Anyone?

by Anonymousreply 593May 18, 2023 7:52 PM

[quote]r593 I want this case solved, dammit!Q Too much time has passed.

He’s an upper middle class white male in America, for god’s sake - all our resources must be thrown behind this!!

It’s outrageous.

by Anonymousreply 594May 18, 2023 8:19 PM

For dramatic purposes, I hope some young, male "hooker with a heart of gold" steps forward, risking his own cute ass, to give police the information they need to solve this crime.

by Anonymousreply 595May 18, 2023 8:38 PM

Hopefully he will be a DLer as we had with the Butch Sous Chef.

by Anonymousreply 596May 18, 2023 8:57 PM

R521, ..just horrifying, what happened to you. God, just awful. I'm glad you were able to fight that psycho off. The fact that you knew him and helped out, only for him to suddenly turn on you is so fucked up ( for lack of a better way to put it). Anyway, I'm glad you survived.

by Anonymousreply 597May 20, 2023 2:52 AM

Did he die?

by Anonymousreply 598May 21, 2023 8:01 PM

R597 One good thing did come out of it. Put the brakes on my propensity to pick up street trade. Any trade actually.

by Anonymousreply 599May 21, 2023 9:02 PM

From the video of the local news update report at Reply 30 in the new thread (at link).

[quote] The same person-of-interest remains the one and only suspect in the murder.

The gun that prosecutors want police to find is probably on the bottom of the Detroit River by now ... the Canadian side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 600May 21, 2023 10:47 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!