Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Diplomat on Netflix

This is a great new series. I’ve loved Keri Russell going back to her early days on Felicity, but my God what were the hair and costume people thinking? She looks like she needs a good overall scrubbing. At the very least her hair washed and a brush run through it. There’s only one scene where she’s getting ready for a British Vogue interview where she’s costumed and styled at all. She’s playing an American Ambassador for flippin sake! I know they’re prolly trying to give her a grittier, earthier look, but come on at least have her look like she bathes regularly. It’s a shame…she’s such an attractive woman and good actress.

by Anonymousreply 57February 2, 2024 3:43 PM

Is the plot good, OP?

by Anonymousreply 1April 21, 2023 2:35 AM

I think so. Rufus Sewell plays her husband, a former ambassador, who causes her all kinds of grief personally and professionally.

by Anonymousreply 2April 21, 2023 10:17 AM

I've watched three episodes. On paper, it's the kind of show I would like, but it's just not clicking.

All the acting is fine, but the characters as written are just not compelling enough for this to work as a character/relationship study. I like the cast for the most part.

Flip side, the diplomatic arcs just really aren't that suspenseful or feel like there's much at stake - even if there's supposed to be. The West Wing made mundane domestic policy decisions more riveting.

by Anonymousreply 3April 23, 2023 2:18 AM

Agreed about her hair OP. It was stringy and greasy in 98% of the show.

by Anonymousreply 4April 25, 2023 2:45 AM

It was a weird a pilot. I liked it. But it didn't know if it wanted to be more fun like Scandal (especially the ending) or something more serious like The Newsroom.

But I enjoyed it enough to want to watch the next episode.

by Anonymousreply 5April 25, 2023 9:39 AM

It’s good enough but flawed.

I feel like the shenanigans involving Rufus’s refusing-to-be-tamed character make it feel like a CBS crime drama franchise, along with the “witty” banter between the couple.

by Anonymousreply 6April 25, 2023 10:10 AM

I really want to like this, but the chemistry between the characters just doesn’t seem to be there. Hope it gets better.

by Anonymousreply 7April 25, 2023 12:10 PM

It’s moderately entertaining but I’d have preferred it to feel more Aaron Sorkin and less Shonda Rimes. OP, you’re absolutely right about the hair and it’s not a minor complaint at all. We’re supposed to believe that this woman who has greasy and unbrushed hair (and who doesn’t give speeches) is ambassador to the UK and is on a shortlist to be the VP? And about that shortlist. It’s ludicrous. Before her surprise appointment to London she has only been the spouse of an ambassador. You don’t get to the White House without being well known to the public.

by Anonymousreply 8April 26, 2023 4:14 PM

I was under the impression that she was an ambassador herself before the London appointment - generally in less glitzy locations. She was about to be appointed to the Kabul post and it seemed like she was experienced and had prior experience being an ambassador - beyond being the wife of an ambassador.

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2023 4:25 PM

I enjoyed this review.

R9, she was about to be appointed ambassador to Afghanistan, but I think that would have been her first posting as an ambassador. She had worked in the foreign service for years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 26, 2023 4:43 PM

Oh, okay. She was an experienced foreign service officer, but no chief ambassador experience. I wasn't clear.

by Anonymousreply 11April 26, 2023 4:52 PM

It gets better with every episode: it's a little far fetched in terms of its realism, but some of the dialogue among the characters really is assuming that these people are very, very smart and sound like it. The witty back and forth is satisfying in the way Succession wants to be.

The CIA Station Chief (played by Ali Ahn) I thought was hilarious - her dialogue and the performance.

The greasy stringy hair was a character choice to show she is gritty, hard-hitting, not worried about the superficial (which means she shouldn't be an ambassador - diplomacy is so often about "appearances"). I thought it was a bad choice.

by Anonymousreply 12April 26, 2023 4:56 PM

It surprised me when it's revealed that the CIA station chief and the tall skinny black dude from the office are fucking. Not that I'm against it; I just didn't see it coming.

by Anonymousreply 13April 26, 2023 5:00 PM

R13 And I thought the dynamic between them was actually much more interesting than between Russell and Sewell.

by Anonymousreply 14April 26, 2023 5:46 PM

Just finished ep 3. I’m out.

Way too talky, way too cheesy (there’s a scene between Russell and Sewell late in the ep that is cheesy beyond belief) and way too little happens.

The only B story thus far, beyond the crisis in the gulf A story, is her marriage/the VP slot.

They need a story that expands the net beyond the two of them and gives us a break.

This was what’s called a bottle ep, with everything on one set, which tells you everything you need to know about the show’s pace.

by Anonymousreply 15April 27, 2023 1:21 AM

I lined the scene where the President’s Chief of Staff made the case for her as VP. I think the series is very well cast. The British Foreign Secretary is hot eye candy. Keri Russell is perfectly cast but I do mind about the hair.

by Anonymousreply 16April 27, 2023 2:06 AM

It did get better and the finale makes me want to watch a season 2. But it was hard to buy that the American ambassador to Great Britain and the British foreign minister would be together in Paris without constantly being surrounded by staff.

by Anonymousreply 17April 27, 2023 2:14 AM

I just finished episode 4. Some genuine intrigue. Again, the show looks good and it's okay, but it all seems a bit thin - like you can see how Netflix just churns series out. Since it's only 8 episodes, I'll continue.

by Anonymousreply 18April 27, 2023 2:16 AM

A few friends highly recommended this to me, so I watched the first episode - eh. I may stick with it, but it's not exactly 'gripping'. It could be so much better and entertaining.

I understand the 'greasy hair' and 'unwashed' appearance about the Keri Russell character. My take on it is that everything happened all so fast - packing to go to the middle east the next day, and the next thing you know she's on a flight to London. Then everything is happening with what is supposed to be a two hour time frame. She never had time to 'check in' to her living quarters, unpack, relax and take a shower. It was go, go, go at a frantic pace from the beginning - and they really did capture that.

by Anonymousreply 19April 28, 2023 7:52 PM

Too stereotyped, “logic” too obvious, writing too elementary, characters too one-dimensional, other than that, Okay.(good portrait of Ike, okay portrait of Churchill).

by Anonymousreply 20April 28, 2023 11:03 PM

Loved it. Rufus Sewell is dreamy.

by Anonymousreply 21April 28, 2023 11:16 PM

The husband was just too irritating to keep watching. Love Russell, though.

by Anonymousreply 22April 29, 2023 12:35 AM

It feels like somebody in the writers' room said 'and let's have everybody swear like in Succession!'

It's entertaining, but light, and lacks suspense. B+.

by Anonymousreply 23April 29, 2023 1:40 AM

I like it but would like to like it more. Have a feeling it will keep getting better, though. Love Keri!

by Anonymousreply 24April 29, 2023 3:08 AM

[quote]But it didn't know if it wanted to be more fun like Scandal (especially the ending) or something more serious like The Newsroom.

R5 - that's an interesting take, because that is EXACTLY the vibe I got from the trailer and why it didn't look of interest to me. Keri Russel was fucking sensational in The Americans. Should have earned an Emmy for that role. I hope she gets to do another show as well written.

by Anonymousreply 25April 29, 2023 3:56 AM

Michael McKean is a bright spot as the President. He's by turns likeable, a dick and quite funny. I am a bit surprised by that performance.

by Anonymousreply 26April 29, 2023 12:41 PM

R26, did you not see him in Better Call Saul? He was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 27April 29, 2023 1:40 PM

R27, I didn't watch that one, nope. It's great to see his talent. He's very good.

by Anonymousreply 28April 29, 2023 2:00 PM

McKean is a great actor, but is miscast in this. Comes off as way too much of a hothead to ever be President.

by Anonymousreply 29April 29, 2023 3:33 PM

I agree.

by Anonymousreply 30April 29, 2023 3:37 PM

R29 I thought his character - the way it was written and how he played it, was one of the more interesting things in show. At first the framing was that he was a Goofus (and I thought it might be a jab at Trump) - but actually I thought he was channeling Biden pretty well. Female VP he needed to get rid of, a Black chief of staff (never happen w/DJT), and in person showing be was both off the wall and much, much more clever than his goofiness would suggest. And a Brit's line, "at least we don't have off-the-wall insanity of the last guy..." was telling.

by Anonymousreply 31April 29, 2023 3:52 PM

There’s never been a female White House chief of staff of any color.

by Anonymousreply 32April 29, 2023 4:51 PM

Hey, fucktard!

by Anonymousreply 33April 29, 2023 4:58 PM

One less cock to suck.

by Anonymousreply 34April 29, 2023 4:58 PM

R31 Well, there have been chiefs of staff who are white, so that's a color.

The whole thing is fiction - there's never been a female ambassador to English who was an on-the-ground diplomat in the middle east. It's all "plausible" fiction. My point was if the McKean President was supposed to mirror history (Afghanistan fiasco, Russia invasion of Ukraine, Brexit and Scottish independence threat... lots real work references in the show) McKean was a pretty good placeholder for Biden.

I kind of thought the Chief of Staff had a Donna Brazile vibe.

by Anonymousreply 35April 29, 2023 5:00 PM

I find the husband pretty entertaining. The supporting cast are all very good actors. It's not high drama, obviously, but it's engagingly entertaining.

by Anonymousreply 36April 29, 2023 6:03 PM

Nothing about the fiction of this show is “plausible.” It’s like Shonda on edibles.

by Anonymousreply 37April 29, 2023 7:19 PM

Is this a Shonda show?

by Anonymousreply 38April 29, 2023 7:39 PM

R38 If it isn't , it sure as hell should be.

by Anonymousreply 39April 29, 2023 9:47 PM

Stephen King really likes it, I may check it out

by Anonymousreply 40May 1, 2023 2:58 AM

I really liked her in The Americans.

Here's the King tweet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41May 1, 2023 3:05 AM

Somewhat more sophisticated Madame Secretary. Equally as fantastical.

by Anonymousreply 42May 1, 2023 4:17 PM

I'm not sure if the dialogue is quite that good, but it's a really enjoyable, engaging show... network excellent, cable very good. It doesn't stretch the bounds of credulity as far as a Shonda shit show does. This is kind of like a plausible Scandal. I wonder if Shonda is jealous.

The cast is really, really, really good... not a weak link no matter the size of the part.

by Anonymousreply 43May 1, 2023 5:36 PM

R43, it’s enjoyable but plausible? Really?

by Anonymousreply 44May 1, 2023 7:19 PM

R44, plausible enough. If it's not serious drama, then in my books after Shondaland if you're not shouting "oh, come on" at the screen, you're doing well. I think by the time Scandal ended every major character had committed murder and, few, if any, caught. I defend The Diplomat only as a rollicking good time that hews close enough to the facts. They didn't invent a super secret spy agency (yet.)

by Anonymousreply 45May 1, 2023 8:11 PM

Renewed, which surprises me a bit. Reviews weren’t what they expected and viewer feedback is quite mixed.

by Anonymousreply 46May 1, 2023 9:22 PM

Lasted about 10 minutes. Everything so clichéd. Snooty Brits and Americans like a fish out of water (even though diplomats?) And the dialogue is so stilted and unnatural. Hammy acting too. I inadvertently laughed when I saw Michael McKean was playing the President. Luckily for me Netflix has another 5 million things I can spend my time watching.

by Anonymousreply 47May 3, 2023 3:20 AM

Not only is her hair greasy, she eats like an animal, too. It's nauseating.

by Anonymousreply 48May 6, 2023 4:40 AM

I finally watched the first two episodes over the weekend, but then gave up.

I was actually into the tomboy things (the greasy hair, the swearing, the pit sniffing), but then they ruined it all by cleaning her up and putting her in a gown and a horse-drawn carriage and having her assistant gush, "She's like a princess!" They want her to be a gutsy tomboy but also have her have fantasy Julia Roberts moments, and that's bullshit.

Also, the wokeness was admirable, but just not very believable. One of her State department assistants at the Embassy is genderfluid and wears a man's bowtie and suit to the office? No way.

"Shonda fantasy" is a good way to put it.

by Anonymousreply 49May 30, 2023 3:16 PM

If only those were the only problems with the show…

by Anonymousreply 50May 30, 2023 4:40 PM

Just started this show tonight; is anyone still watching? Agree with previous posters in that I WANT to like it and the premise is good, but it just isn’t hitting something. It’s like eating something you know is supposed to be delicious but it’s void of salt or some sort of seasoning.

Her hair is all messy and dirty looking in the first few episodes which is weird. And it moves so fast that she’s doing a British Vogue shoot on what’s supposed to be her second day there before most people even know she’s been appointed.

Of course there’s the gratuitous trans character.

by Anonymousreply 51July 10, 2023 3:18 AM

I finished it in two days. LOVED it. I thought the writing was great. Loved watching them drill down through the layers…it was the Iranians. No, the Russians. No the mercenary guy. And he was hired by WHO?? The husband, brilliant at strategizing but she can’t trust him. The PM pissed because the US always manages to renege right after he announces something. The dance with the Foreign Secretary. Running around putting out fires, it looks like chaos but the viewer always understands what’s going on. Fascinating and funny.

by Anonymousreply 52July 15, 2023 4:12 AM

Unfortunately, I can't stand Keri Russell but I love Rufus Sewell.

I haven't taken the plunge on this show. Too Russell-centric for me. But still, Rufus...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53July 15, 2023 4:38 AM

I prefer The Aristocats.

by Anonymousreply 54July 15, 2023 5:01 AM

Very enjoyable. And I still want Rufus Sewell inside me quite deeply.

by Anonymousreply 55August 21, 2023 6:20 PM

I've just discovered this and am on episode 4. At the beginning I thought they had deliberately made her look so rough because they were going to give her a makeover once she got to London and discovered she was to be VP. Doesn't seem like it's going to happen. She doesn't have to look like a glamazon but she could look a hell of a lot better than she does. She obviously has a lot of control as producer.

But I'm really enjoying it. The President is hilarious. The cast is great and very diverse in a realistic way - it's not forced. It's snappy and well-written, well-acted and the scenery and sets are incredible. My only criticism is that they get a bit bogged down in detail sometimes and don't move the story along quickly enough. I'm going to watch a couple more episodes tonight. Really enjoying it so far.

by Anonymousreply 56February 2, 2024 7:31 AM

You get to see him naked too R55.

by Anonymousreply 57February 2, 2024 3:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!