Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Marina and the Diamonds is so fucking underrated.

I used to listen to her all the time. I was obsessed with “Blue”, “Bubblegum Bitch” and “How To Be A Heartbreaker”. The latter just popped up on a random playlist and it’s so fucking good. I never understood why she didn’t have a bigger audience in the states. It seemed like mostly gays knew who she was.

I was introduced to her through this ridiculously cute small town gay boy in college who dreamed of moving to a big city. We met online and would Skype and message. He was so cute. We lost touch eventually. Hope he’s well. But he would listen to her nonstop and one day I asked him who he was listening to because he’s always playing that album, and he said Marina and the Diamonds. I bought the album FROOT on iTunes after that and eventually bought others.

She’s so different. Is she still making music though?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19April 2, 2024 4:22 AM

This was my personal favorite. Loved “Blue”. It’s super light bubblegum sugary pop and sounds like happy good vibes but the lyrics aren’t happy lol.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 13, 2023 2:29 AM

But is it a bop?

by Anonymousreply 2April 13, 2023 2:32 AM

Primadonna girls was my fave

by Anonymousreply 3April 13, 2023 3:57 AM

R3 Primadonna was another great one.

by Anonymousreply 4April 13, 2023 11:53 AM

Loved Primadonna.

by Anonymousreply 5April 13, 2023 12:48 PM

I think she's just Marina now. There never were any Diamonds. That wasn't the name of the backup band or anything.

I love the song Venus Fly Trap that came out in the last year or so

by Anonymousreply 6April 13, 2023 1:11 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7April 13, 2023 1:18 PM

Yes, in 2019 she changed it to just Marina. But i will always prefer the Diamonds added on. She should have just went by Marina Diamonds.

by Anonymousreply 8April 13, 2023 1:39 PM

Marina’s music is too intelligent for mainstream pop, but I would much rather listen to her being authentic as a niche artist than a popstar putting out product to maintain market dominance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2023 3:52 PM

Also add Carly Rae Jepsen to the list of criminally underrated artists. Emotion was a far superior 80s-inspired album than 1989.

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2023 4:00 PM

I used to love her shit

by Anonymousreply 11April 13, 2023 4:05 PM

I liked her early on, but lost a great deal of respect for her when she did "power & control" to jump on the 50 Shades of Grey bandwagon with her image being such an independent girl power "I don't need some man to tell me what to do!" spirit. To me, she just turned out to be another plastic doll pushed by the record company as an independent minded artistic singer / songwriter. I don't like froot and love + fear, but ancient dreams in a modern land has some good tracks.

by Anonymousreply 12April 13, 2023 4:14 PM

I agree, but Carly at least had a huge hit a decade ago. Marina has always been ignored and slept on despite releasing solid pop songs.

by Anonymousreply 13April 13, 2023 4:18 PM

Couldn't agree more.

by Anonymousreply 14April 13, 2023 4:24 PM

I think her cynical songs like Hollywood puts people and music insiders off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 13, 2023 4:43 PM

She’s also Welsh. Most foreign artists don’t breakout in the states much.

by Anonymousreply 16April 13, 2023 4:50 PM

R15, like wow, Hollywood is, like, corrupt and shit, like, totally profound, like wow.

by Anonymousreply 17April 13, 2023 8:00 PM

She is completely rightfully rated as a nice early 2010s fad that delivered two strong pop projects and then flipflopped on her sound and image that made it harder for her to build a strong fanbase, and her subsequent albums just weren't as memorable. I did like a bunch of songs from Love + Fear though.

by Anonymousreply 18April 13, 2023 8:21 PM

What has she even been up to?

by Anonymousreply 19April 2, 2024 4:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!