Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

DL Book Club: 'Up With the Sun' by Thomas Mallon

I'm midway through — loving it. It's like Dominick Dunne moving through the world of B-level Broadway and Hollywood from the 1950s to the 1980s.

Though it's a novel, many of the characters are real, especially Dick Kallman, a minor actor turned antiques dealer (his partner was Dolores Gray!) in the 1970s. After he's murdered by, presumably, a hustler, narrator Matt Liannetto, a Broadway pianist, flashes back to their uneasy friendship of decades.

Fun, fun, fun, witty and bitchy, especially when real people like Kaye Ballard and Dyan Cannon make appearances. And the antiques concern is called — MARY! — "Possessions of Prominence."

Anyone else read this?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2023 6:04 PM

OP is this supposed to be a book club thread or a specific books's thread?

by Anonymousreply 1April 8, 2023 3:16 AM

Thanks OP! This sounds like a delightful mix of reality and delusion -- I just put it on my list at the library.

by Anonymousreply 2April 8, 2023 3:24 AM

I enjoyed the chapters set in the past as Dick Kallman’s career on Broadway and in Hollywood was shown with appearances from real celebrities. I was a little bored by the post-murder chapters.

by Anonymousreply 3April 8, 2023 3:30 AM

Always enjoy Thomas Mallon’s books. I have a copy of this book at my bedside, but I’m currently reading Blood & Ink, a double homicide from 100 years ago.

by Anonymousreply 4April 8, 2023 3:52 AM

^ about a double homicide

by Anonymousreply 5April 8, 2023 9:43 AM

The doomed Dick Kallman on Hullabaloo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 14, 2023 2:09 PM

Dick Kallman naively allowed a magazine article to be written about him that featured all his rare pricey antiques in his home. Could that be what gave the perps the idea to rob and kill him?

by Anonymousreply 7April 14, 2023 4:21 PM

Wonderfully tawdry. Full of casual gay sex encounters. And the violent crime that ends in Kallman’s death is a scintillating mixture of antiques, cocaine, the disappearance of a Macguffin -like jeweled souvenir of unrequited love, gay hustlers and an innocent boyfriend studying at Columbia Law School.

And Dolores Gray as Helen Lawson.

by Anonymousreply 8April 14, 2023 4:38 PM

There was a thread on this late last year, so I bought the book.

Entertaining and worth the read.

by Anonymousreply 9April 14, 2023 4:44 PM

Introduced at 11:07, Dick was one of the "kids" on the Desilu Playhouse, a gig that was a subject of the book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 15, 2023 1:11 AM

Kallman sounds like he was a piece of work. All previous accounts of his murder were more sympathetic than Mallon's version which apparently is well supported.

by Anonymousreply 11April 15, 2023 1:20 AM

[quote]Kallman sounds like he was a piece of work.

In Mallon's telling, so is Dolores Gray. Vain, selfish, moneygrubbing, holds a high opinion of her career.

I adore her extreme Fifties style, which clearly inspired Lypsinka.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12April 15, 2023 1:46 AM

It’s fun to see so many of the “characters” in Mallon’s book show up in R10’s link.

by Anonymousreply 13April 15, 2023 4:00 AM

Are we so sure Dolores Gray isn't Frank Langella in drag.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 15, 2023 11:24 AM

The author, interviewed about the book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 15, 2023 11:25 AM

I was there for the interview. He was very entertaining. I can hear my friend's laughter in the video.

by Anonymousreply 16April 15, 2023 3:18 PM

He's the definition of unctuous in R6's link.

by Anonymousreply 17April 19, 2023 1:56 AM

[on working with Lucille Ball and Robert Osborne and Dick Kallman of the Desilu Players] Robert Osborne was an actor at that time and his lover was a guy named Dick Kallman who was the most evil human being I ever met. Obnoxious and mean. He always had Lucy's ear. He and Osborne were always together. For instance, we'd be rehearsing and something wouldn't work. You'd say, "I don't know if this stuff is going to work" And within two minutes Lucy was walking through the back saying, "What do you mean it doesn't work!" Kallman would get on the phone and call her and tell her that I was complaining about the material. What we were doing was going through the regular rehearsal process. But it was bizarre. Dick Kallman was killed in his apartment in New York. They never found the killer. He was shot. When I said to Roger Perry, who had been one of the Desilu Players... I ran into him years later... I said, " Did you hear about Dick Kallman? He was killed." Roger said, "Yeah!" With a big smile.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18April 19, 2023 2:21 AM

R12 is what happened after Bea Bernadette went to Madonna’s plastic surgeon and insisted on looking just like Audrey Meadows.

by Anonymousreply 19April 19, 2023 2:50 AM

I saw him in a production of "How to Succeed" when I was a baby gaylette. Willard Waterman played the Rudy V

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20April 19, 2023 3:03 AM

R19 Was Bea Bernadette played by Jennifer Jones?

by Anonymousreply 21April 19, 2023 4:02 AM

A little more of that interview with Howie Storm about Dick Kallman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 19, 2023 5:29 AM

I wonder how Lucy picked the people for the Desilu Players---Carole Cook was the only one writh real longevity, but basically as a working performer, not a star. Roger Perry had a series with Desilu and did guest shot for quite while, but he seems more noatble for having married Joanne Worley and DL fave Joyce Builfant (after Bill Asher)---I alwayts confused him with his contemporary Roger Perry (who had a longer career) and with the younger Mark Slade (who looked like both of them but became a writer and acrtoonist).

I wonder how Osborne could stand Kallman, but then again he seemed to have remained friendly with Lucy who was no walk in the park. I wonder if he stayed in touch with Kallman?

by Anonymousreply 23April 19, 2023 12:32 PM

It's hard to separate fact from fiction, since Mallon says in an intro that he invented quite. a bit. I too saw Kallman in How to Succed plus Half a Sixpence. Remember both shows vividly, but not Kallman. Did he really offer a columnist some dirt on Lucy to futher his career? Did. Dick have a very strange relationship with an Episcopal priest he consulted for therapy? Hard to tell.

by Anonymousreply 24April 19, 2023 12:47 PM

Robert Osborne talking about the Desilu Players and how he, Carole Cook and Dick Kallman were Lucy's favorites.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 19, 2023 1:03 PM

The February 26, 1966, TV Guide has the article about Kallman mentioned in the book. It is indeed a sharp criticism of him that reveals everything negative about him and his show...... Barbara Stanwyck is on the cover.....and if you're interested in the subject you can usually find a copy on Ebay for $10 or less.

by Anonymousreply 26April 19, 2023 11:49 PM

There was a discussion in the Theatre thread, I think, on this around 4 or 5 months ago - I read it, too, based on that discussion.

Interesting book to a degree, though Kallman seemed to be a self-important bore. The fun was in the small details. Agree that it seemed to lose most of its oomph about 2/3rds of the way through.

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2023 12:12 AM

[quote] Robert Osborne talking about the Desilu Players and how he, Carole Cook and Dick Kallman were Lucy's favorites.

If the book is to be believed Kallman very much fell out of Lucy's favor.

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2023 12:41 AM

Howie Storm is, at 90, still alive.

by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2023 12:42 AM

A footnote on Kallman’s Wikipedia page links to this 2010 DL thread.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2023 12:56 AM

Thanks, R30. I see that R7 in that thread had the impression that Dick was a great person. Ha.

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2023 1:56 AM

The author had contacted my aunt, Carole Cook, to interview her regarding Dick Kallman. I doubt she dreamt she would be a character in the book. Nor did I, but I’m reading it now (the author, Thomas Mallon, kindly sent an inscribed copy). A bit surreal. Of course I recall Carole speaking of Kallman, and that he had recommended her to Lucille Ball. The TV Star was looking for a comedienne for her Desilu Review, and apparently Kallman said, “I know just the person!” Carole was a bit surprised by the gesture. She and Kallman, while acquainted, were not really friends, nor particularly close at all. In any case, the author did capture her “voice” and many of her expressions. While Carole was shocked by Kallman’s murder, she would not have been so invested in the event to have attended the subsequent trial, etc. At the time of Kallman’s death, Carole was appearing in Bernie Slade’s “Romantic Comedy” with Mia Farrow and Tony Perkins, and subsequently went into the musical “42nd Street.” She simply wouldn’t have had the time or energy to focus on much else.

by Anonymousreply 32December 11, 2023 6:04 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!