Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Silo' sci-fi series on Apple TV+

With Rebecca Ferguson, Tim Robbins, Harriet Walter, Rashida Jones, David Oyelowo.

[quote]In a ruined and toxic future, thousands live in a giant silo deep underground. After its sheriff breaks a cardinal rule and residents die mysteriously, engineer Juliette (Rebecca Ferguson) starts to uncover shocking secrets and the truth about the silo.

Out May 5th.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90August 24, 2023 3:28 AM

Watched the first two episodes just now. Went in expecting trash, but it really is a decent mystery show.

Ferguson's and Walter's American accents are very entertaining. No gays so far, but it's Apple, so...

by Anonymousreply 1May 5, 2023 12:29 PM

I love the books, so I am leery about the show, especially concerning two characters heavily featured in the trailers.

I will probably wait until the finale, and then watch the whole season.

by Anonymousreply 2May 5, 2023 12:42 PM

I liked the first two episodes so will continue with it. The first book was good but they were absolutely mental by the end.

by Anonymousreply 3May 5, 2023 1:08 PM

I haven't read the books, so please no spoilers. I was gooped when the sheriff started choking outside, I now have a working theory that the suits release a toxin and/or the greenery is produced by VR in the helmets.

I laughed when I saw that computer guy had nicer hair than Rashida Jones. His hair colourist be working overtime in that silo.

by Anonymousreply 4May 5, 2023 1:21 PM

Oh wow! I love this book. When I read it, I could only picture Julianne Nicholson as the main character. But I love Rebecca Ferguson and think she's an amazing choice.

by Anonymousreply 5May 5, 2023 8:59 PM

Great third episode, building up to something, lots of dread and gloom. Ive read the first book but don't remember the thing that happened at the end of episode 3. I think Apple are on to a winner here.

by Anonymousreply 6May 12, 2023 4:20 PM

Rebecca Ferguson has man face. She pings hard. Is she a lezzie?

by Anonymousreply 7May 12, 2023 5:14 PM

I want a guess as to what’s going on but don’t want to spoil it so…….

Are they putting some sort of poison in the space suit when they go out to clean so the will certainly die?

by Anonymousreply 8May 16, 2023 4:51 PM

Third episode was pretty dull, with some of the most cliched dialogue in recent memory. A gentle note to the director of this episode: extras are extras for a reason; lingering on their faces for too long and relying on their reactions too much reveals why they're extras, not actors.

Also, I swear every third actor is butchering the American accent. Don't know what happened there, does the casting director not have ears?

Anyway, I'm still in for the mystery. Wonder who'll take up the mayor's position now because I assume the current one is beyond saving.

by Anonymousreply 9May 16, 2023 5:06 PM

Wow! I'm in a movie?

by Anonymousreply 10May 16, 2023 5:07 PM

My theory is the suits they use to go outside are poisoned.

by Anonymousreply 11May 16, 2023 5:41 PM

[quote]Are they putting some sort of poison in the space suit when they go out to clean so the will certainly die?

Without spoiling anything... based on the books, no. Not exactly poison, no.

I just hope this lasts three seasons so they can do all three books (wool, shift, dust).

I also hope they don't try to fudge the books for the series... each book basically has a completely different cast.

by Anonymousreply 12May 16, 2023 5:46 PM

Enjoying the show so far. Love me some dystopia. I still have the books on my Kindle, so I’m reading them again to refresh. This time, I started with Shift before Wool which are not in publication order but correct chronologically to the story. Now I’m beginning Dust today. They are quick reads, but on the second time around, I’m finding them to have a few sections which are a slog to get through. However, they still an entertaining enough read on the whole. Since this is DL, the books are super duper heteronormative, but I saw they already shoehorned in a lesbian character storyline on the show (modified from a character in the books). To his credit, the author did make a gay main character in one of his subsequent books ‘Half Way Home’.

by Anonymousreply 13May 16, 2023 9:48 PM

It’s plodding now isn’t it. Not much happened last few episodes.

by Anonymousreply 14June 2, 2023 5:50 PM

Great cast. Sounds terrible. Of course it could be good, but I probably won't check it out.

by Anonymousreply 15June 2, 2023 6:04 PM

Rebecca Ferguson is gorgeous

by Anonymousreply 16June 2, 2023 6:13 PM

r14 Yes, I just finished the most recent episode and my god, there's so much fat around the central mystery. And not that well-written fat, either. At this point, I'd be more entertained watching footage of Rebecca Ferguson and her accent coach. Assuming she had one because... [italic]whew.[/italic] I swear Harriet Walter went Russian for a moment in the previous episode.

I'm enjoying Chinaza Uche's gayvoice. Also, Avi Nash (Lukas) is very pretty.

by Anonymousreply 17June 2, 2023 6:33 PM

[quote]I love the books, so I am leery about the show, especially concerning two characters heavily featured in the trailers.

Have you begun watching it yet? I loved Wool and was also a little leary. Without spoiling anything, it seems like it would be a pretty boring last 2/3 of a series because of how things play out in the book. And I was really pissed that the trailer seemed to spoil the prologue. But what they’ve done with the show is absolutely amazing. They’ve taken so many characters that were just names in the book and given them full stories. Full complete touching stories. And they have added so much to the plot while retaining the main story, that it’s just blowing my mind. They replaced the prologue essentially with the first episode, and made it so much more horrifying and sad. Don’t worry if there are characters in the trailer that you’re unfamiliar with or or doing some thing that wasn’t in the book, because you’re gonna like it anyway (or at least I have).

But at the rate they are going, it’s gonna take three seasons to get through the first novel. And I’m more worried about seasons two and three, because of what I mentioned about the change in the story in the book (where they go with the plot in the book).

It’s been such a long time since I read the book then I’m having to ask a friend who has read it multiple times to remind me if certain things happened. But there’s so many characters that were not in the book that are critical to the TV series.

I think they’ve done an incredible job, adapting it and changing it. Sometimes I worry that film makers and TV shows leaves out the important stuff. Not here. All they’re doing is adding more, and it’s excellent. More mystery, more suspense, some pretty bad American accents, but great acting and phenomenal storytelling.

I’ve seen the first five and there hasn’t been one that I haven’t loved.

And Rebecca Ferguson was the right person for the job. She’s pretty, but in a way that looks like she could also kick your ass. The only other thing I have seen her in was Doctor Sleep as Rose the Hat and she was TOTALLY not the actress I had in mind for that role, but I thought by the end that she was perfect for it.

Eleven thumbs up!

by Anonymousreply 18June 2, 2023 7:01 PM

[quote]Yes, I just finished the most recent episode and my god, there's so much fat around the central mystery. And not that well-written fat, either.

R17, I’m loving the “fat“ around the central mystery. I love how much they’ve added to the story, and I kinda disagree that it’s poorly written. It’s been a long time since I read it, so there’s certain things that I don’t remember. But there are so many elements that are definitely not in the book and have made it better and more interesting and shocking. Usually too much is left out in an adaptation, but in this case, they’ve added so much that I’m enjoying the hell out of it. Fuck, I love that they devoted a whole episode to fixing the generator. We definitely didn’t need to see that, but it was taut and completely watchable. So even that I was happy with.

And you gotta admit, that first episode was a killer. I posted at R18 I was pissed that they seem to have spoiled the prologue (or first chapter, I don’t remember what it was) in the trailer. But the first episode gave us all that information plus so much more, and in such a dramatic fashion that it killed me.

But I totally agree with you about the accents. I’ll cut Ferguson some slack since she’s Swedish, but her accent is a little rough. It doesn’t bother me though, because I think she is a great actress.

by Anonymousreply 19June 2, 2023 7:12 PM

I meant more clichéd than poorly written. Or stale, even. It's not anything I haven't seen before. I just find myself zoning out and wanting to return to the central mystery. Because without that, it's just a mid cop drama.

I'm glad you're enjoying it, obviously I hope it goes on for several seasons and the story is fully resolved by the end.

Also, Ferguson is Swedish?! I thought she was British! I guess I was confused by her name, but I googled it just now and I see the full version is very much Swedish. Yeah, I'll definitely cut her some slack now that I know she's not a native speaker. Harriet Walter, on the other hand... Though to be fair to her, it's a sin to force an older classic British actress into doing an American accent.

by Anonymousreply 20June 2, 2023 7:25 PM

[quote]I'm glad you're enjoying it, obviously I hope it goes on for several seasons and the story is fully resolved by the end.

R20, I hope so too but if they do all three books, it’s gonna take them like 10 years. Have you read the books? There’s no way they’re going to finish book one in 10 episodes.

I’ve only read Wool and then started the second one, but it’s a prequel and I lost interest pretty quickly and put it down, so I don’t know if they return to the main story in the first book but I assume they do. I’ve been thinking about reading the second two now

But, minor spoiler: the first book doesn’t resolve things (I feel comfortable letting people know that because it is based on a trilogy and you can expect that things won’t get wrapped up neatly until the end. It’s like letting people know that the Lord of the Rings isn’t resolved at the end of the first book). It has an ending that is satisfying, but it doesn’t solve everything. I think everything must be resolved by the end of the third book. And I’m fairly confident I know how they’re going to end the first season and it’s going to be a cliffhanger. And if they spend the next two seasons finishing the first book, it’ll still be a cliffhanger. Unless they committed to filming all three books, or they decide to skip all of the prequel stuff and just give us an answer, we’re not gonna have a resolution for a long time.

I kinda don’t care though. The author, Hugh Howey, created such an incredible world in the silo that I don’t mind if they create new and different stories set in that world. They could totally go off the rails and I’d be happy. Plus Howey has written, I believe, several short stories set in the silo world, so it’s possible some of the additions they’ve made to the series come from those. But somebody who’s read them all would have to tell me. Characters like Holston and Mayor Jahns were just names in the book. So seeing them have stories and lives (and finding out Holston had a wife which maybe he did in the book but I forgot) have made it so much better for me. Like I said, I am absolutely loving the extra material. Maybe in the second and third books, they talk more about Holston and Jahns and their lives, but I don’t know. They definitely don’t in the first book. And all of those things have added an emotional element that is missing from the book. It makes everything feel more serious and sad.

It may be cliché, and I’m not seeing it because I know what’s coming is unlike most dystopian books, and I am more focused on the new stuff than tropes that have been repeated from other shows and books. I mean, basically after the first episode, you know that they’re living in a world where there was a rebellion, and that their history was erased and talking about it is a crime, so you already know that they’re suppressing the past and whoever decided that probably isn’t a good guy. So they think they’re living in some type of utopia (or under the best conditions possible as horrible as it is), but obviously we don’t know the whole truth. One other minor spoiler: there are twists in the story, and it’s not a cop drama. I don’t want to say anything more than that.

It’s one of the few adaptations of a book that I think is actually better than the source material. Most adaptations are terrible. To me, this one is a revelation.

And I have to say, Howey did such an incredible job of describing life in the silo, and what it looked like that when I first saw it, it was exactly what I had pictured while I was reading the first book. It’s like the designers pulled the silo design straight out of my brain. It looks exactly like I imagined. Down to the shadows.

by Anonymousreply 21June 2, 2023 8:39 PM

[quote]I also hope they don't try to fudge the books for the series... each book basically has a completely different cast.

R12, without giving away spoilers, can you at least tell me if Juliette is in books 2 or 3? Or is book 1 the last we see of her?

That would be disappointing. (To not see her in the other two books).

by Anonymousreply 22June 3, 2023 10:58 AM

R22 That would be the very definition of a spoiler. What the fuck is wrong with you?

by Anonymousreply 23June 3, 2023 11:37 AM

I watched all six episodes and I am seriously hooked! I'm afraid to read the posts above because I saw posts like R23's. But I have to tell you, I can't wait to see the rest!

by Anonymousreply 24June 5, 2023 8:15 PM

r24 Nothing has been spoiled so far since I asked about no spoilers early in the thread, and I trust fellow DLers to keep it that way. Glad you're enjoying it.

by Anonymousreply 25June 5, 2023 8:24 PM

R24, I’m the poster that r23 is raging at but not r25.

R23, that was not a spoiler and I wasn’t asking for a spoiler. Someone ELSE said all three books each have a different cast of characters and I wanted to know if we’d see one from the first book again.

Chill out. Or I’ll find a thread where you posted and when you least suspect it, I’ll tag you and I’ll spoil the WHOLE FUCKING SERIES FOR YOU.

🤗

by Anonymousreply 26June 5, 2023 9:22 PM

I find Common to be a bit jarring. Odd casting choice I think, he looks like he’s stepped out of 90s NYC and his line delivery is off and stale.

by Anonymousreply 27June 9, 2023 10:44 AM

[quote]David Oyelowo

I don't like him. He's annoying.

by Anonymousreply 28June 9, 2023 10:47 AM

r28 He is, but he was only in the first episode, as was Rashida Jones. And they had awful chemistry together as spouses.

by Anonymousreply 29June 9, 2023 4:31 PM

Who's seen the 7th episode? These cliffhangers are making me crazy! Perhaps I should wait until the last episodes are out before I watch any more.

by Anonymousreply 30June 10, 2023 1:48 AM

Episode 7 is great. It’s picked up now for sure.

by Anonymousreply 31June 10, 2023 6:45 AM

I agree that Common is miscast in this series. He seems like he's acting in a school play. Really offputting. I've seen him in other things and enjoyed his performance, so I'm not sure what went wrong here.

by Anonymousreply 32June 10, 2023 7:26 AM

I LOVE HUGH HOWEY. His books are AMAZING Science Fiction. Can't wait to watch this.

The Silo Series.

Wool (2011) Shift (2013) Dust (2013)

And The Sand Chronicles.

Sand (2014) Across The Sand (2022)

by Anonymousreply 33June 10, 2023 7:43 AM

Episode 7 is a wholly new creation that is not in the first book. Most of the story is veering from the first book. I loved the first book.

And you know what? I don’t even care!! They’ve done such an incredible job of a taking an already excellent book and making a series that is loosely based on it and all of the stuff they’ve added is so fucking incredible this show is blowing my mind.

The whole mystery Juliette is trying to solve? I can barely remember if that was part of the book but it’s taken up so much space in the series. It’s obviously just a red herring for her until she discovers what the real mystery is, and I don’t even mind that they’ve spent so much time with her investigating it (or that we as viewers already know more than she does).

I think Rebecca Ferguson needs a better dialect coach though. She really is an amazing actress, but that accent! She is Swedish and obviously speaks English fluently, but she probably learned it with a British accent and it shows. Constantly. I’ve seen her do better in other things.

If you watched episode 7 (or even episode 1), the actress that plays Gloria Hildebrandt (beautifully IMO) is Emma Thompson’s sister.

The tension is just incredible and they’ve made it so much sadder than the book that I’m dying a little between each episode.

I won’t spoil anything but the little touches like what was revealed in episode 7 had been alluded to in episode 2 and they kept showing lingering shots that I thought were supposed to be sentimental. Also not in the book, and I didn’t think anything of it but it created an excellent mystery by itself that was worth the payoff.

There’s a really obvious clue to the overall mystery that I didn’t even catch until halfway through the series and it was also the same in the book. Kinda can’t believe I didn’t realize it until a few weeks ago.

I want 7 seasons of this show!

by Anonymousreply 34June 10, 2023 7:43 AM

[quote]I agree that Common is miscast in this series. He seems like he's acting in a school play.

I dunno. I think he’s doing a fine job. I’m more bothered by the way they costumed him. Like you’d be unable to tell what kind of character he is if he wasn’t dressed that way. I think we could have figured it out if he was wearing a bikini top and sarong. It was obvious what kind of person he was from his first appearance. It’s total overkill.

by Anonymousreply 35June 10, 2023 7:52 AM

[quote]Eleven thumbs up!

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 36June 10, 2023 8:46 AM

Probably my favourite episode yet, that opening with the ocean was beautiful. Finally we're getting somewhere with the central mystery.

Was kinda bothered by that hot Indian hitting on Ferguson (yet again) in a moment of emotional honesty, he's so thirsty and it's like he isn't aware a platonic relationship between men and women is a thing. Obviously I blame the writers for doing that to him.

Still enjoying Chinaza Uche's faggy voice, but he sounds like he's about to cry when he gets all earnest at work, which might be a bit *too* faggy for my liking.

Becs might be Swedish, but her dad on the show is Scottish, and his American accent sucks just as much as Harriet Walter's.

by Anonymousreply 37June 10, 2023 3:12 PM

[quote]Eleven thumbs up!

[quote]Pics please.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38June 10, 2023 4:29 PM

Just caught up on this in a binge and came here to see what people are saying about Common. His acting is terrible and he's dressed like a reject from The Matrix. Wtf.

by Anonymousreply 39June 12, 2023 6:48 PM

Ferguson is Swedish and speaks English with a British accent. Most Swedes speak it with an American accent, but her mother is British, so that probably explains her English speaking accent.

by Anonymousreply 40June 12, 2023 6:52 PM

Can someone explain the conversation about stars in the last episode? Maybe I missed something, but how did they suddenly become visible and why were they not visible before?

by Anonymousreply 41June 12, 2023 6:54 PM

[quote]Can someone explain the conversation about stars in the last episode? Maybe I missed something, but how did they suddenly become visible and why were they not visible before?

It’s just clouds. And they didn’t discuss it but it’s clear they don’t know what stars or clouds are. It’s amazing how little they know about the real word or even the world they live in and the little touches the writers have added make it even more interesting. Like they don’t even know the word “camera”. They know they exist and what they do, but the word has been lost. They know that they are underground and can see outside through some type of “sensor”.

I’m loving the little touches like that.

I’d really like to start a thread for for folks that have have read the book to discuss the differences between the book and the series and what they like and dislike about the adaptation. But there aren’t that many folks posting here and even fewer that read the book it seems so it would be pretty pointless. ☹️

If you saw the generator episode, then you saw the blip on the screen. It was 10pm when that happened. I wonder if they are even on a normal time cycle. It could be 10pm for them but really 3pm outside and they’d never know.

by Anonymousreply 42June 12, 2023 8:23 PM

Why are there so many non Americans on this show? Their accents are jarring.

by Anonymousreply 43June 12, 2023 8:28 PM

I'm curious why the accents bother people so much. Not judging you, just curious. I haven't really noticed the accents one way or another. I'm American and have lived outside the US for over a decade so maybe I'm just used to hearing lots of hybrid accents in my daily life.

by Anonymousreply 44June 12, 2023 8:39 PM

It’s getting a bit slow now, how many episodes do we need to schlepp ourselves through until there is some sort of conclusion?

by Anonymousreply 45June 12, 2023 8:40 PM

R45, I don’t think it’s slow. I mean they definitely stretched it out, but I’m enjoying the hell out of it. They created mysteries where there were none in the book, and made it more interesting for those that read it. The book is worth reading, but the series is definitely more interesting They’re using all of the additional stories to fill in the gaps in the book. So I’m kind of loving it.

And I’m not bothered by the accent slip ups. Rebecca Fergusons are definitely the worst, but she also has the most screen time. It could be a mostly British cast if they filmed it in the UK. I’d have to see where they filmed. I think almost every major role so far has been a Brit or the Swede.

by Anonymousreply 46June 12, 2023 9:32 PM

R45, also, I hate to break it to you, but we’re nowhere near a conclusion. We’re less than a third of the way through the first book. The first season is going to end on a cliffhanger. You might get one answer, but you won’t get THE answer for a very, very long time.

So buckle up! Try to enjoy it, because there’s a lot to come.

by Anonymousreply 47June 12, 2023 9:34 PM

Is Ferguson fully aware of the situation under Lukas' shirt?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48June 12, 2023 9:41 PM

[quote]Is Ferguson fully aware of the situation under Lukas' shirt?

No! Because the Pact won’t allow it! Fucking Pact!

by Anonymousreply 49June 12, 2023 9:48 PM

R45? If you're in a hurry, you can always read the books.

by Anonymousreply 50June 13, 2023 12:19 AM

So, R46, there will be a cliffhanger. Okay. Which means we have to wait for another year until the show resumes. At which point, we have all but forgotten what’s it’s about. Sounds like a show that is only enjoyable for those who read the book. I am too busy for that.

by Anonymousreply 51June 13, 2023 12:56 AM

That said, the show is pretty good. Just a bit slow.

by Anonymousreply 52June 13, 2023 1:08 AM

I’m glad you still think it’s good even if it seems slow, r52. Some of what may seem slow may be exciting to those that have read the book and know where things are going and are happy to see all the gaps filled in. And while we know what’s going to happen and we won’t be surprised, for those that haven’t read it, maybe you’ll find it even more surprising because you’ll see all these things that seemed irrelevant were really hints and clues. They really are doing an amazing job with filling up space with stories that are relevant.

Everything that seems to be space filler has been critical so far (maybe not the generator repair. I think that was like a paragraph in the book, but it was still tense as hell and completely enjoyable.)

I don’t feel like there have been any unnecessary scenes or stories so far and they’ve added (and I’m repeating myself for the millionth time) so much to the story in the book. But it’s all been worth it to me.

If you can live with a cliffhanger and wait a year for the next season, things are going to change.

Someone above asked if it’s a police procedural and I said it wasn’t. And it isn’t. It’s been seeming like one because she took the job to solve one crime, but that crime is not the mystery (and they already revealed who was behind it anyway to the audience even if Juliette doesn’t know).

But I really have no idea how they’re gonna tell the rest of the story in a series because it’s…very different. If they were to stick to the book, it would get slow. But I trust they have a plan to make it interesting. (and I’m not saying the last 2/3 of the book are boring, they just don’t seem like they have the potential to be as action packed. Although, after the generator episode, I think they could make anything tense.).

by Anonymousreply 53June 13, 2023 2:35 AM

R53, I probably need to add to that, the first third of the book wasn’t as action packed as the series either. The pace was very consistent throughout. They just made an interesting story more exciting with the series. So if they could do it to the first third, they can do it to the next two thirds as well.

by Anonymousreply 54June 13, 2023 2:49 AM

Sorry. R54 was me following up myself at R53. I didn’t mean to make it look like I was talking to myself.

by Anonymousreply 55June 13, 2023 2:51 AM

I love this series and I just finished episode 5. Can't wait for 6 to finish before Friday's 7. Rebecca Ferguson is amazing!

PS what happened to Tim Robbins, he looks like Santa?

by Anonymousreply 56June 13, 2023 7:21 PM

Renewed!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57June 14, 2023 4:27 PM

R57 great news!

by Anonymousreply 58June 14, 2023 6:55 PM

Did you know that the young lady who plays the sheriff when she was young is actually a young Lady of the realm?

Also, episode 8 was exciting, but I really wished I would have learned more. I may have to read the books.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59June 16, 2023 3:47 PM

I can't believe they're going to stretch the first book out beyond one season.

It should have been a three season show: one for each book.

by Anonymousreply 60June 16, 2023 5:12 PM

I think most of the post-Shannen years were better than the Shannen years. It has nothing to do with Shannen or her character, though, and more to do with the nature of the show. The first two seasons were very standalone and it didn't start to get more serialized until Shannen's last season. I think the serialized approach worked much better, even if the show did run a season or two longer than it probably should have.

by Anonymousreply 61June 16, 2023 6:46 PM

Oops. I can confidently say I posted that in the wrong thread. Lmao.

by Anonymousreply 62June 16, 2023 7:17 PM

My close friend and I have been watching this together on Discord and I've got to say, this is an incredible series and would be interesting to anyone. It may qualify for the "sci-fi" title, but anyone who likes a good post-apocalypse story would be all over this. The final episode coming Friday titled "Outside" is going to be very interesting. The possibility of more Silos other than the one they live in would be an interesting twist on the tale as well.

I'm pretty sure Season 2 will be mostly a prequel, perhaps showing the rebellion in full swing. A deeper explanation of "the Raiders."

by Anonymousreply 63June 26, 2023 11:34 AM

I read a summary of all three works online, and the rest of the story seems boring and predictable. I can't imagine how anyone read these; I read about 60 pages of "Wool" before I deleted it, and it wasn't very well written. The show was much better (which is sad). But I'm a sci-fi buff from way back, and I've lived long enough to see stories and books I read back in the day come (at least partially) true. AFAIC, the best sci-fi is the old classics from the 50s and 60s.

I'm not sure I would classify this as sci-fi anyway. It's more in the realm of fantasy.

by Anonymousreply 64June 26, 2023 12:36 PM

The season finale just came out. All I can say is "Wow."

by Anonymousreply 65June 30, 2023 5:49 AM

Holy shit, so many silos! I did not see that coming at all. I've grown attached to Ferguson's character, I was glad she didn't choke to death. But what did she say at the very end, something about supplies? I couldn't make out that line. Also, how much oxygen does she have left in that thing?

Are they seriously sending my beautiful Lukas to the mines for a full decade? That pissed me off so much, but it just goes to show the fate curious minds suffer under totalitarian regimes.

by Anonymousreply 66June 30, 2023 4:57 PM

She said "They're good in supply," which is what is written in Walker's note. I think the tape around her gloves was supposed to be strong and keeping out the bad air, which I guess wasn't the case with the others who were sent outside.

by Anonymousreply 67June 30, 2023 5:07 PM

[quote]Holy shit, so many silos! I did not see that coming at all.

Since you posted it, nobody can you accuse me of spoiling it. Here’s the big clue we all missed.

Why was Mayor Jahn’s title “mayor”? Why wasn’t she president?

Because cities have mayors. And if the silo had a mayor, then that told us that there was more than one city. There was more than one silo.

by Anonymousreply 68July 1, 2023 8:19 AM

[quote]I'm pretty sure Season 2 will be mostly a prequel, perhaps showing the rebellion in full swing. A deeper explanation of "the Raiders."

I have no clue what they’re going to do with season two. The last 2/3 of the book are so different. They built up such a strong cast and so many stories inside the silo and I can’t imagine that season two won’t include them, but she’s not going back in clearly, and it’s her story. So take that for what it’s worth.

by Anonymousreply 69July 1, 2023 8:24 AM

Loved it. I read the book so long ago but still really enjoyed it and was an outstanding final 15 minutes.

by Anonymousreply 70July 1, 2023 9:12 PM

R66 — If I would’ve been Lukas, I would’ve screamed to Bernard that I’d want to go outside to clean. Wouldn’t have mattered if they had the good heat tape or not. Fuck mining!

by Anonymousreply 71July 1, 2023 9:19 PM

R71, you just convinced me that they’re going to completely change season two. Because there was no Lukas in the book and there’s no way his story is ending with him in the mines. Not without us seeing his shirt off first. There’s no way they would’ve introduced him as a character just to send him to the mines.

by Anonymousreply 72July 1, 2023 9:51 PM

I had a friend tell me that he liked it on the whole, but that there were a number of glaring holes in how the tech worked (or didn't)).

by Anonymousreply 73July 1, 2023 9:53 PM

I was floored by the ending. R73, all of this tech would be well over 140 years old, I doubt any of our tech today would last so long. Also, they recycled and repurposed everything, it was obvious they patched things together to work or large swaths of electronics became unavailable or unrepairable, so they either created workarounds or banned them.

by Anonymousreply 74July 2, 2023 1:10 AM

They talk about the mines. What are they mining for?

by Anonymousreply 75July 4, 2023 1:35 AM

R75, ore

by Anonymousreply 76July 4, 2023 4:03 AM

Well I really enjoyed watching this over the last week although the American ‘accents’ by British actors did amuse me. Every time someone said Bernard I thought of the sketch below.

Spoiler question: were Rashida Jones and David Oyelowo really dead next to each other? The interference with the badge confused me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77July 8, 2023 10:24 PM

Fallout did it first with their Vault-Tec communities.

by Anonymousreply 78July 8, 2023 10:39 PM

If they sent people out to clean periodically as a punishment, why can you only see two bodies out there? Shouldn't there be many more?

by Anonymousreply 79July 8, 2023 10:49 PM

They very rarely send people out to clean. What’s happening in the show, with the sheriffs wife then the sheriff than Juliette in such a short period of time is unusual.

by Anonymousreply 80July 8, 2023 11:04 PM

r68 I thought the mayor title was just a remnant of the "before time", I didn't think much of it at the time. Although I did find it weird that it was taking so long for us to meet the president. I thought maybe we'd meet him/her in the finale, but then of course the big reveal happened.

Isn't she kinda doomed if she goes to another silo? I assume they're all connected at the highest level and she'd just get sent to prison. I hope she doesn't go to the city on the horizon, that shit looks nuked to hell and back, there's no way she has enough oxygen in her suit for that journey.

by Anonymousreply 81July 9, 2023 5:11 AM

R81, It definitely is a remnant of the old times, but they’ve erased their history and banned almost all knowledge from before the uprising that they could keep a title like “mayor” because nobody knows there’s anything greater than being mayor. But WE do, so I can’t believe I missed the clue that if there’s a mayor, there were probably Governors and a President before the “uprising” (which is now obviously a lie. Gloria Hildebrandt, the Flamekeeper, told her they put something in the water to make them forget.) Whether the Governors or President are still around is a mystery because they could have just eliminated them 140 years ago. Maybe there was an uprising 🤷🏻. But the leaders, the true leaders of the Silos are the heads of IT and judicial who at least know what’s going on, not any Mayor. You could see the tears in the head of Judicial’s eyes when she told Jules “they” wouldn’t allow it.

And the next part of the story is about her getting to another silo ( she has to. Otherwise she’d just die outside), but I won’t spoil it for you but to say you can safely assume she doesn’t get there and immediately get sent back out, returned, or killed because she’s the main character!

I will say, they’ve changed SO much. Well, kinda changed. Added to. So I have NO idea where they’re taking the story next but I have no doubt it will be good.

And I had COMPLETELY forgotten that Lucas was a character in the book but she didn’t meet him in the Silo as I recall and he wasn’t sent to the mines. So he either he has a different role in this version or they have to move some things around to get him back into the plot in the way he was a character in the book. But it was also obvious from early on he was important. She kept running into him and then he never actually did anything to either help her or hurt her. Basically they spent all that time introducing a character and the first time he has a story, it’s off to the mines! So he’s gotta be coming back. Otherwise they would have just cut his character completely.

Last thing I’ll say. In the book, I got the impression that the other silos were much further apart. She wouldn’t have been able to stand on top of that hill and see so many. And what I don’t recall from the book is an underground door that George found that they kept referring to but never showed. This is pure speculation but I think that must be a tunnel that leads to other silos. And I think they flooded it on purpose.

More mysteries!!!

I loved (in the book and the series) the awful revelation that the destroyed planet they see on the screens WASN’T the lie. They flashed to the bright green outside during the generator episode and the video from the hard drive and if I recall, they even showed Holston’s view when he was sent to clean and showed the bright green world. The only reason they show them that lie is so they’ll clean in the hope that if they do, folks inside will eventually see a bright green world outside. It’s a very terrible way to manipulate them into cleaning. So I thought that was a great twist at the end, and then her seeing all the silos across the landscape. Multiple twists!!

More twists to come!

by Anonymousreply 82July 9, 2023 6:32 AM

I literally am tapping my feet for season two. I need more Silo! I am not a science fiction person, but this show just does it for me. It has huge potential to be among the greatest TV shows ever made in the 21st century.

by Anonymousreply 83July 11, 2023 8:09 AM

So wait... they didn't even finish book one in the first season? They're dragging book one out over two seasons?!?

by Anonymousreply 84August 1, 2023 1:08 PM

R84, probably more than two

by Anonymousreply 85August 1, 2023 2:24 PM

Jesus Christ.

So I guess they're just going to never get into the second book, unless they do it via, what, some flashbacks I guess?

I was a little disappointed by the ending in the third book to be honest. It didn't feel earned. It felt like the writer sorta wrote himself into a corner, and came up with that cop-out of a "Twilight Zone" ending... it didn't really make much sense.

by Anonymousreply 86August 3, 2023 9:19 PM

R86, I was thinking about this, too and I realized (and you probably have too) that the second 2/3 of the first book could be a kind of boring story. It’s great to read, but it doesn’t have the same pace as the beginning.

And I also thought if they told all of book one in a couple seasons, and then tried to tell book two, they’ll need a whole new cast and we’ll lose Rebecca Ferguson. And people will probably lose interest and quit watching.

So I’m guessing, they’re going to take books two and three and spend maybe 15 minutes in every episode using those for flashbacks. Then they can tell those stories, and still keep Jules the main character and just drag it out for like 6 seasons or so.

That’s really the only way I can see this working.

by Anonymousreply 87August 3, 2023 9:49 PM

Also, they’re probably gonna have to show more scenes from Silo 18 to finish Lukas and Billing’s stories. Those weren’t stories in the books, but they’re in the show now, and it would be unfair to leave them hanging.

by Anonymousreply 88August 3, 2023 9:55 PM

Yes, R41, Season 1 was definitely shit in the UK.

HOWEVER, I actually know someone on the crew for Season 2 and they shot in Italy for just a few weeks before it was shut down due to the strikes. So the wait for Season 2 might be a bit longer. Maybe it will be cut into half seasons. My friend wouldn’t tell me if Rebecca Ferguson or any of the other main actors will return. Or if Italy is being used for exteriors, it might just be soundstages.

by Anonymousreply 89August 24, 2023 1:58 AM

“SHOT in the UK.”

Heh heh.

by Anonymousreply 90August 24, 2023 3:28 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!