Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

CNN Poll: Majority of Americans approve of Trump indictment

Mon April 3, 2023

Sixty percent of Americans approve of the indictment of former President Donald Trump, according to a new CNN Poll conducted by SSRS following the news that a New York grand jury voted to charge him in connection with hush money payments made to adult film actress Stormy Daniels. About three-quarters of Americans say politics played at least some role in the decision to indict Trump, including 52% who said it played a major role.

Independents largely line up in support of the indictment – 62% approve of it and 38% disapprove. Democrats are near universal in their support for the indictment (94% approve, including 71% who strongly approve of the indictment), with Republicans less unified in opposition (79% disapprove, with 54% strongly disapproving).

While views on the indictment are split along party lines, the poll finds that majorities across major demographic divides all approve of the decision to indict the former president. That includes gender (62% of women, 58% of men), racial and ethnic groups (82% of Black adults, 71% of Hispanic adults, 51% of White adults), generational lines (69% under age 35; 62% age 35-49; 53% age 50-64; 54% 65 or older) and educational levels (68% with college degrees, 56% with some college or less).

. . .

A scant 10% overall see Trump as blameless regarding payments made to Daniels, but Americans are divided about whether his actions were illegal or merely unethical. About 4 in 10 say he acted illegally (37%), 33% unethically but not illegally, and another 20% say they aren’t sure. Only 8% of political independents say Trump did nothing wrong, and among the rest, they are mostly on board with the indictment even if they aren’t already convinced Trump did something illegal.

Even among those who disapprove of the indictment, the perception that Trump’s actions were questionable is fairly widespread, with about half in that group saying Trump did something wrong regarding payments to Daniels (52%). Far more in that group say he acted unethically rather than illegally, though (49% unethical, 3% illegal), with the remainder split between thinking he did nothing wrong (23%) and not being sure (24%). Among those who approve of the decision to indict Trump, just 1% say his actions were not wrong at all, while 59% call them illegal and 23% unethical.

[More at link]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 5, 2023 8:52 PM

I have more important issues in my own life to fuss and fret over.

by Anonymousreply 1April 4, 2023 8:28 AM

[quote]Sixty percent of Americans approve of the indictment of former President Donald Trump

It would be nice if the media saw this and realized that their assumption that the entire country is aghast at the charges was wrong, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2023 8:41 AM

Abc/Ipsos

55% no, 45% yes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 4, 2023 8:54 AM

I'm not American so I can't tell how this current 'crime' compares with Nixon's 'crime'.

by Anonymousreply 4April 4, 2023 8:58 AM

Nixon was set up by John Dean and the FBI ("Deep Throat"), and then his own personal failings (recordings) sealed the deal.

Trump paid off Stormy Daniels all on his own .

by Anonymousreply 5April 4, 2023 9:01 AM

^^^Correction, paid her off with the help of scum personified, his lawyer Michael Cohen, but the point still stands.

by Anonymousreply 6April 4, 2023 9:02 AM

Wait for 2 things. A) when the charges are unsealed B) when the other cases are brought to trial

The % will change. It is clear, however, that the republicans are better at putting their case across.

by Anonymousreply 7April 4, 2023 9:04 AM

r1 and r4 type trollish

by Anonymousreply 8April 4, 2023 9:06 AM

R5 But did Nixon steal more money than the current person?

by Anonymousreply 9April 4, 2023 9:07 AM

Interesting but as said above meaningless until the actual indictments are unveiled. This may change percentages in either direction depending on the charges.

by Anonymousreply 10April 4, 2023 9:09 AM

So justice is American Idol now?

If enough people disapprove are they going to cancel his indictment?

God this country is a joke.

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2023 9:09 AM

Agree r8, but so does r7.

by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2023 9:09 AM

Nixon steal money? I wouldn't put it past him but I've never heard that r4. I'm nort sure the current charge is about theft either. Perhaps read up on both cases and get back to us.

by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2023 9:11 AM

R11 spot on.

by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2023 9:12 AM

Someone conducted a perfectly typical poll and now suddenly it means "America is a joke" because "people will want the charges dropped if they're not popular enough"? What the fuck kind of bullshit logic is that? You sound like you're struggling to come up with something to pretend to be angry about.

by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2023 9:15 AM

No, r11, they're trying to take the temperature of what the 2024 vote might look like.

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2023 9:15 AM

R16, I think they are trying for clicks.

These questions are too distant, too weakly related, to the 2024 election to tell us much. Stupid exercise if they are doing what you claim.

by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2023 9:20 AM

All polls are a stupid exercise, r17. The only one that counts is in the ballot box.

by Anonymousreply 18April 4, 2023 9:22 AM

Fair is fair. His right-hand-man henchman did time for his involvement. Why should Trump be excused? Had this involved a Democrat or well known liberal, do you think Trump wouldn't be calling for heads on a stick? Commit the crime and do the time. No excuses. Shoe salesman or President, neither is better than the other. Teflon Don no longer exists.

by Anonymousreply 19April 4, 2023 9:27 AM

Henchman yes. Enough to convict an ex-president, not clear.

And just because Trump is an asshole who calls for locking up his enemies doesn't mean Democrats or even reasonable Republicans should do the same.

by Anonymousreply 20April 4, 2023 9:33 AM

Yeah no need to call for it, but definitely lock him up or put him in front of a firing squad or whatever is the punishment for treason.

And just what is the punishment for treason?

by Anonymousreply 21April 4, 2023 9:40 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2023 10:10 AM

The campaign is claiming double that number now, natch.

(Apologies for link)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2023 10:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2023 12:01 PM

Sky News Australia? Was Daily Stormer not available?

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2023 12:52 AM

Gosh…CNN conducted a poll that came to this conclusion—I’m just godsmacked and couldn’t see that coming?!🤣 And I’ll bet they asked a completely diverse sampling of demographics equitably across all varied media avenues (eg, Wellesley, Mass., and Harvard University faculty.) lol

by Anonymousreply 26April 5, 2023 1:17 AM

R13, back in the 1950s, Nixon’s career was almost ended by a bribery scandal; he managed to survive by giving the once-infamous “Checkers” speech.

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2023 1:51 AM

This all spells disaster for Republicans in 2024. I love it. And Rhonda will never be President.

by Anonymousreply 28April 5, 2023 1:52 AM

R26 needs some copioids. Fentanyl, perhaps?

by Anonymousreply 29April 5, 2023 1:52 AM

this will be only the first of FOUR indictments

by Anonymousreply 30April 5, 2023 1:56 AM

I just learned to accept most Americans are absolutely delusional and refuse to accept reality. The past ten years showed this to be the case.

by Anonymousreply 31April 5, 2023 2:28 AM

It's an emotional stance of people who feel disenfranchised. Until the Democrats address this, by messaging and by policy, this delusion will not go away. You can't tell people how to feel, rightly or wrongly

by Anonymousreply 32April 5, 2023 3:08 AM

R32, I want to a pull a Biff on you and knock you in the head and say "Hello? McFly!" How many fucking elections must you witness to comprehend that no one needs to reach out to god damned MAGAts to win? No, these "disenfranchised" people looked at orange dogshit who knew and knows absolutely NOTHING about being a patriot, or about being president, abused his power when he was allowed to, monetized the presidency and has been criminal trash his entire life and decided to worship him for one reason: Hate. The Republican party is for the actual extreme in this country. There is nothing, not a single piece of legislation from Democrats that you can point to that is extreme. Universal healthcare, lower drug prices, making the wealthy pay their fair share, climate change initiatives, allowing women to have rights over their own bodies are NOT extreme to anyone normal.

I would think by now that a fucking "red wave" that never happened and liberal judge in WI beating the shit out of a conservative judge, and MI and PA both becoming Dem controlled, would be enough proof that no one needs to reach out to a minority of trash who continue to shrink. The GOP has lost young people with their draconian bullshit. No young person could ever vote for the GOP and think they'd be in good hands for the future.

by Anonymousreply 33April 5, 2023 3:26 AM

Thank you, R33. A few MAGAts are attempting to steer the narrative out of sheer, sweaty desperation (much like their fuhrer, Diaper Don). Their frantic efforts to put a positive spin on recent events are delightfully embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 34April 5, 2023 3:43 AM

🤓 I still don't understand why I wasn't appointed to head the Trump Legal Defense Team.

by Anonymousreply 35April 5, 2023 4:17 AM

Though, in comparison, Nixon actually championed a lot of good legislation.

It's too bad he was a bit of a scumbag.

by Anonymousreply 36April 5, 2023 4:24 AM

R33, that “disenfranchised” rhetoric is classic Republican projection. You know who feels disenfranchised? The people Republicans are trying to stop from voting.

by Anonymousreply 37April 5, 2023 8:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!