Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Al Pacino Is SO Good Looking In This Photo On The Set Of The Godfather (1972)

His looks were at their peak ca. 1972.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 6, 2023 7:06 PM

Pacino was always pleasant looking and has those huge eyes. I wouldn't say he peaked young but he was nice young, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 2, 2023 8:55 PM

We were in Milan last week and every third guy there has that very same, unaware, haunting beauty about them. From the lowliest dishwater to the men in the fine clothing stores. It’s the Italian lineage and almost feminine beauty about them.

I also loved that the woman all had an appetite and full plates!

by Anonymousreply 2April 2, 2023 8:57 PM

He was beautiful when young. A lot of people didn't appreciate Southern Italian looks especially back then. Rudolph Valentino, Vincent Spano and Sal Mineo were other hotties with that Southern Italian look. All got typecast as Italians or Arabs.

by Anonymousreply 3April 2, 2023 8:57 PM

fuck smoking messes up your face

by Anonymousreply 4April 2, 2023 8:58 PM

I agree that his looks peaked in the early 1970s. By 1980 his looks were already diminishing. A combination of lifestyle and genetics

by Anonymousreply 5April 2, 2023 9:05 PM

R5- He did not look nearly as good by the time he appeared in the movie Cruising.

by Anonymousreply 6April 2, 2023 9:07 PM

I believe certain visages are much more sensitive with weight loss and aging, that we have “baby fat” collagen in our faces and extreme or due to rapid weight loss, drugs, or sickness wastes it away. My mom is Scottish/English and you can see the skin below her cheeks and chin has thinned and become more “crepey”. Gawd.

When you gain the weight back, the baby fat doesn’t come back either. Once in my 40’s I pouted to a younger gay colleague and he curtly asked me never to make that face again!

by Anonymousreply 7April 2, 2023 9:19 PM

5’ 5” though

by Anonymousreply 8April 2, 2023 9:22 PM

[quote] We were in Milan last week and every third guy there has that very same, unaware, haunting beauty about them. From the lowliest dishwater to the men in the fine clothing stores. It’s the Italian lineage and almost feminine beauty about them.

[quote] He was beautiful when young. A lot of people didn't appreciate Southern Italian looks

Okay, so R2 and R3 you have to figure this out among yourselves.

Does he have a Northern or Southern Italian face?

Because R3 says it's a Southern Italian look, but R2 says it's a Milanese look, and Milan is in Northern Italy.

So which is it?

Btw, there's a big difference between Northern and Southern Italians.

by Anonymousreply 9April 2, 2023 9:23 PM

R9 I'm not R2 or R3, but what do you think, that Italy has a wall dividing the North and South?

by Anonymousreply 10April 2, 2023 9:26 PM

R10 any Italian from Italy will tell you that there is a vast difference between Northern and Southern Italians.

So shut your stupid mouth.

by Anonymousreply 11April 2, 2023 9:32 PM

R10 and R11-

GIRLS, GIRLS

Please!

by Anonymousreply 12April 2, 2023 9:37 PM

R8- He was still very good looking in 1972 even at a height of only 5ft 2in.

by Anonymousreply 13April 2, 2023 9:39 PM

R8 short guys always have big dicks.

by Anonymousreply 14April 2, 2023 9:44 PM

Drinking ruined his looks.

by Anonymousreply 15April 2, 2023 9:46 PM

Pacino has more stereotypically dark, Southern Italian looks -- Northern Italians can be more fair and can seem more German / Swiss. But that doesn't mean that many Southern Italians have moved north to Milan, or vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 16April 2, 2023 9:52 PM

^^ haven't moved north.. Plenty of Italian-Americans still have that Southern Italian look even though they are several generations removed from Ellis Island.

by Anonymousreply 17April 2, 2023 9:53 PM

Southern Italians have significant Levantine and Anatolian DNA from Phoenician and Ancient Greek rule where tons of migrations occurred for thousands of years. That's why many look Middle Eastern. Also Arabs and Normans were ruling class who influenced the culture. Many Arabic words made it into Southern Italian dialects. But Arabs from the Gulf and North Africa didn't displace the population as they only were there for a century. The population already had Levantine and Anatolian DNA from thousands of years prior.

Also Northern Italians are not Nordic looking most have brown hair and brown eyes and are quite swarthy. They are very similar to French and Spaniards.

by Anonymousreply 18April 2, 2023 9:54 PM

[quote]His looks were at their peak ca. 1972.

[quote] He did not look nearly as good by the time he appeared in the movie Cruising.

He didn't but I'd posit that he was 32 when he did the Godfather and 40 when Cruising came out.

To me he simply looks like he's 40 years old in 1980 at a time when there wasn't a whole lot you could do about it.

by Anonymousreply 19April 2, 2023 10:01 PM

R16 People on here act like Rome and other big Northern cities wouldn't have people from the South moving there and affecting the Northern gene pool. Also the 20th century in general saw a massive migration of people from their regional homes due to the affordability of cars and mass transit. People were no longer bound to the villages they've lived in for centuries.

by Anonymousreply 20April 2, 2023 10:02 PM

Pacino RUINED his looks by getting plastic surgery in his late 30s. He had the end of his nose thinned and his eyelids cut creating an entirely different look - instead of the menacing eyes of older Michael Corleone, he's goofy looking.

OLD FACE:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 2, 2023 10:16 PM

NEW FACE

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 2, 2023 10:17 PM

So even Mediterranean men like Pacino will get nose jobs. The women in Hollywood tend to always do it like Jennifer Aniston and Jennifer Grey.

by Anonymousreply 23April 2, 2023 10:19 PM

I always forget that he was ever good-looking.

by Anonymousreply 24April 3, 2023 1:35 AM

He should cut his hair.

Long hair does not look good on old men.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 3, 2023 1:40 AM

Even Goop had one. Tyra Banks must have had the most severe one. With women in showbiz, it's more a case of who hasn't had one. Surprised Pacino did, though.

by Anonymousreply 26April 3, 2023 2:03 AM

Mind the age gap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27April 3, 2023 2:05 AM

What's up with his cheekbones? They've always looked like they're melting.

by Anonymousreply 28April 3, 2023 10:48 AM

Most Italian Americans have ancestors from Southern Italy: Apulia, Campania, Calabria, Sardinia and Sicily. The Mafia is a Sicilian organization. But most modern Italian Americans are mixed with other groups like Irish, Polish, German, Puerto Ricans and Jewish but claim an Italian identity. Pacino has bragged about being 100% Sicilian because many Italian Americans were already mixing during his rise to fame.

by Anonymousreply 29April 3, 2023 11:51 AM

r28 Gorgeous photo.

by Anonymousreply 30April 3, 2023 11:52 AM

R29- A lot of famous actors who are Italian are quite mixed. Sylvester Stallone is only half Italian. His mother Jackie was half French and half Jewish. Robert DeNiro is only 1/4 Italian .

by Anonymousreply 31April 3, 2023 12:12 PM

R31 Christina Ricci is mostly Irish and John Travolta is also half Irish. Joey Lawrence and Matt LeBlanc who played Italian American stereotypes are also only half Italian. Pacino called himself a "full dose" for a reason.

by Anonymousreply 32April 3, 2023 12:19 PM

r31 Reminiscent of a young Julian Casablancas. 2000's era, not the present day chubby cracked out version.

by Anonymousreply 33April 3, 2023 12:20 PM

I fucked this Italian guy for a months years ago. He was oddly proud of being 100% Italian and kept going on about it.

by Anonymousreply 34April 3, 2023 12:22 PM

R32- I forgot to mention John Travolta - he’s a good example.

by Anonymousreply 35April 3, 2023 12:25 PM

R34 The funniest thing is Italian-Americans aren't seen as Italian in Italy. They are seen as just Americans. It doesn't matter if they have 100% Italian DNA because nationality-wise they are American and have a different cultural outlook and attitude. Italy has thousands of years of history and a unique outlook that you can't just pick up from ancestry alone. Since Italian Americans were able to assimilate into generic American whiteness and many married non-Italians, they are a completely different culture. What Americans associate with Italian culture is just Northeastern urban culture that not only has Southern Italian but Jewish, Irish, Caribbean, Black, Greek and Middle Eastern elements blended in.

by Anonymousreply 36April 3, 2023 12:57 PM

R36- Out of town or I should say out of the Northeast Italians often seem less Italian than Italians from the Northeast.

by Anonymousreply 37April 3, 2023 1:04 PM

When Jersey Shore filmed in Italy, the cast were fish out of water.

by Anonymousreply 38April 3, 2023 1:08 PM

Many Italian Americans in the South became Baptist or Evangelical. In the Midwest, Methodist or Lutheran. There's Italian Canadians who are just generic white Canadians.

by Anonymousreply 39April 3, 2023 1:14 PM

Well we paid good cabbage for him.

by Anonymousreply 40April 3, 2023 1:16 PM

I grew up in Jersey and guido culture is not Italian American. It's just white ghetto Northeastern culture that anyone can pick up. I've seen people of Irish, German and Hispanics excessively tan and dress like a guido or guidette.

by Anonymousreply 41April 3, 2023 1:36 PM

^ of Irish, German and Hispanic descent

by Anonymousreply 42April 3, 2023 1:36 PM

I just don't have a thing for dago midgets like some people.

Now, if he's a SPANISH little person, that's different.

by Anonymousreply 43April 3, 2023 1:38 PM

[quote]So even Mediterranean men like Pacino will get nose jobs.

EIGHT YEARS after they became famous??? Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 44April 3, 2023 1:38 PM

Italian Americans are a culture of their own - different than Italian Italians, just like every ethnic group. Replace "Italian" Americans with anything else, such as Irish or Jewish or Spanish and you'll have the same argument.

by Anonymousreply 45April 3, 2023 1:41 PM

A lot of what Italian American culture does and celebrates is considered outdated in modern Italy. Italian Americans are stuck in the 1940s

by Anonymousreply 46April 3, 2023 1:42 PM

What exactly does Italian American "culture" celebrate? Pizza?

by Anonymousreply 47April 3, 2023 1:47 PM

R47 Roman Catholicism, pizza, wine, Frank Sinatra, Scorsese, the Mafia, Roman Empire etc. I even met a fanboy of Mussolini. Basically Italians moved into the 21st century while a very vocal subset of proud Italian Americans remained stuck in the early 20th century.

by Anonymousreply 48April 3, 2023 1:55 PM

And also Southern Italians are proud of their mixed heritage of Roman, Greek, Phoenician, Arab, Moor and Norman which is shown in their culture, dialects, cuisine and architecture. They will even look down on Northerners. While Italian-Americans who are mostly Southern descent can be be extremely racist and insist they are the same as Nordic Europeans while also insisting that also were victims of racism worse than Black Americans.

by Anonymousreply 49April 3, 2023 2:02 PM

Snooki is hispanic in origin, adopted, grew up in the Hudson Valley.

by Anonymousreply 50April 3, 2023 6:06 PM

R50 Yep and also Jwow is Irish. The guido subculture is just working class Staten Island and North Jersey culture that spread into The Jersey Shore area from all the transplants.

by Anonymousreply 51April 3, 2023 6:11 PM

Pacino admitted he was hustler back when he was young struggling actor in Sicily. Pacino would have been Pier Paolo Pasolini's type. He loved Southern Italian rough trade twinks and just put his boy toys in leading roles.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 3, 2023 6:18 PM

r50 She was adopted by an Italian-American family and raised in that culture.

by Anonymousreply 53April 4, 2023 9:24 AM

[quote] There's Italian Canadians who are just generic white Canadians.

Yup! Like Will Sasso of Mad TV.

by Anonymousreply 54April 4, 2023 9:41 AM

[quote]While Italian-Americans who are mostly Southern descent can be be extremely racist and insist they are the same as Nordic Europeans while also insisting that also were victims of racism worse than Black Americans.

Italians from south are not any less racist. Obviously you don't know much about southern Italy. There is big problem with migrants from Africa who come to south Italian shores. And since they are less politically correct than Northern Italy they don't hide it very much.

And where did you hear that stupidity about them being pride in having Arab origins. They would stone you if you told them so.

by Anonymousreply 55April 4, 2023 10:36 AM

This article is about Naples in South Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56April 4, 2023 10:47 AM

op has stockholm syndrome

by Anonymousreply 57April 4, 2023 11:10 AM

Did he ever show his Italian pinga?

by Anonymousreply 58April 4, 2023 12:04 PM

R2- Chrisy Metz has an appetite and a FULL plate at all times.

by Anonymousreply 59April 4, 2023 12:07 PM

He was the HOTTEST in Serpico

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60April 4, 2023 12:15 PM

Which roles should Al have won the Oscar for? He only had one for Scent Of A Woman

by Anonymousreply 61April 4, 2023 12:22 PM

I would give him a pugnetta!

by Anonymousreply 62April 4, 2023 12:35 PM

R11 Not taking sides here, but the correct Italian term is shuddupayourface.

by Anonymousreply 63April 4, 2023 1:35 PM

R61, THE ROLE Pacino should have won for was in Godfather PART II.

For years in the 1970s, Pacino and Nicholson split the Best Actor vote and a lightweight moved in. For 1973 it was Jack Lemmon in a movie no one saw or cared about, for 1974 is was Art Carney in a bad cat movie. If I were Carney I would have been embarrassed to accept that Oscar. Nicholson finally got one for One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Pacino had to wait and wait and wait...until Scent of a Woman, 1992. He deserved it, but he deserved it more for the Godfathers, Serpico and Dog Day Afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 64April 4, 2023 2:38 PM

[quote] short guys always have big dicks.

Would that it were so...

by Anonymousreply 65April 4, 2023 2:49 PM

Northern Italian men have slightly more northern European looks, but they still have that swarthy Italian look.

Italian men, whether southern or northern, will always have that same sexy look in their eyes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66April 4, 2023 5:01 PM

I wonder if Pacino, Nicholson, and Dustin Hoffman split the vote with their strong performances in 1974, and the leftovers were enough for Art Carney to win for his OK performance in the bad cat movie.

by Anonymousreply 67April 4, 2023 6:36 PM

Northern Italians look similar to French and Spanish and Southern Germans and Brits. So they aren't that light haired or fair-skinned as some posters here make them. They are still overall Mediterranean looking.

by Anonymousreply 68April 4, 2023 6:39 PM

I grew up with Italian Americans and a good chuck of my friends were pale, skinny, wiry and angular, and another chunk were hunky, sunny in nature, tanned and gorgeous.

by Anonymousreply 69April 4, 2023 11:19 PM

R67 meet R64

by Anonymousreply 70April 4, 2023 11:34 PM

I’m American-born second generation of Italian descent. Half Sicilian, half mainland peninsula Italian. You visit the mainland and share you’re Italian heritage, and everyone will not so subtly “remind” you that you’re Sicilian, and “not Italian.” Then you visit Sicily and describe how you were schooled up north how you’re really considered to be just Sicilian—and everybody will definitely “correct” you that you are considered fully fledged all Italian. Just can’t win!

Italy was also the he first European region where Jews from the Holy Land region immigrated into Europe, including some couple of millennia before Christ’s birth. Many settled and worked successfully until first forced into ghettos and hen forced to leave Italian territory by 1492, except for those who pledged or pretended to convert to Christianity and “Italianized” their family names to avoid being exiled or harassed. So such looks can be made up of even more wide ranges of ethnic demographics and origins.

by Anonymousreply 71April 5, 2023 2:40 AM

R71- There was genetic study done about 12 years ago on Ashkenazi Jews. The group of non Jewish Europeans that they're most closely related to are modern Italians.

by Anonymousreply 72April 5, 2023 3:05 AM

I have an Italian acquaintance, born in Milan, but of southern Italian parents. There are many people born in Milan with southern heritage, because in 50s and 60 s southerners were moving to industrialized North in big numbers. Southern Italians were not only immigrating to USA in the beginning of 20th century, but after WWII also to Germany and of course, North Italy.

This acquaintance claims that her family has ancient Jewish heritage, though her family is Catholic and I thought she was inventing things a bit, but according to R71 and R72, she could be right.

I must add that she would never admit having anything in common with Arabs, she strongly dislikes them. She is liberal, but not with the most racially inclusive attitude to put it mildly. She says about Muslim or black immigrants: they don’t like us. Southern Italians are not the wokest people you would meet.

by Anonymousreply 73April 5, 2023 8:46 AM

You know, I've never seen The Godfathers. None of them. I start but then something happens,and I never get to finish. I mean...there's so much praise for the first two, BUT it's from the same people who love sports and Trump.

by Anonymousreply 74April 5, 2023 11:45 AM

R74 That is a strange conflation.

by Anonymousreply 75April 5, 2023 11:49 AM

You need to get out more, R74. I don't know anybody who doesn't think the first two Godfather movies are brilliant pieces of cinema -- and I don't know anybody who even thinks about sports or Trump.

BTW, have any of you watched The Offer? It gives interesting insights into Cuppola and Pacino as well as the Hollywood machine.

by Anonymousreply 76April 5, 2023 1:56 PM

R71 - I grew up second generation (southern) Italian-American in NYC in the 70s and ALL the Italians I knew, in and out of my family, would eventually make derogatory cracks about Sicilians, and how we were NOT Sicilian.

by Anonymousreply 77April 5, 2023 7:06 PM

Sicily has the best food.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78April 5, 2023 7:19 PM

I prefer Goodfellas over any of the Godfathers any day,

by Anonymousreply 79April 6, 2023 6:21 PM

He's no Gina Lollobrigida...

by Anonymousreply 80April 6, 2023 6:25 PM

You're despicable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 81April 6, 2023 7:06 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!