Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

A scientist who created Ozempic explains how the drug works

Now you can stick a needle in your belly, and change your brain's appetite for food.

The injectable drugs Ozempic and Wegovy, and their generic counterpart semaglutide, have been hailed as blockbuster treatments for obesity and diabetes because they can often help people lose excess weight they've struggled with for years. In many cases, patients have said these drugs are succeeding where all other diets, exercise, and medicines have failed before.

Karin Conde-Knape, senior vice president of global drug discovery at Novo Nordisk, the company that makes the drugs, says the reason why these medications have such stunning results is simple. It's because the drugs change people's brains, regulating hunger signals in a whole new way.

Ozempic and Wegovy help people feel full while eating less "because of a direct effect on satiety," Conde-Knape explained on Wednesday during CNBC's Healthy Returns Summit. Patients report feeling satisfied with less food than they would have eaten before.

In addition to quantity of food, the drug also controls "the type of food that we are craving," Conde-Knape said, by "tackling a different part of the brain that also signals through the sensations of satisfaction when you eat certain types of foods."

Patients have said Ozempic makes them less interested in formerly favorite foods, like Chick-fil-A, coffee, alcohol and Kit Kats, and more into kale and smoothies.

Ozempic does this by mimicking a compound people produce naturally in our intestines, called GLP-1. GLP-1 is a hunger-regulating hormone, and it's similar to a compound Gila monsters harbor in their venom. But GLP-1 mimicking drugs "can last longer" and "have a more durable effect" than the natural hormones, Conde-Knape said.

In addition to its effects on the brain, Ozempic also slows down digestion, and can help regulate blood sugar, by slowing the production of glucose in the liver.

The most common side effects of Ozempic include stomach cramps, nausea, and other GI issues like diarrhea, vomiting, and constipation.

It might seem like weight loss is a simple energy in versus energy out equation, but "the brain regulation of energy intake and output is actually quite complex," Conde-Knape said.

Most obese patients have some kind of "genetic component" that is also driving their disease, she said, and then there are likely environmental factors at work, too, which are still not well understood.

"The GLP-1 that is secreted from the intestine signals through the brain in the specific areas that actually control how much hunger we have, but also how full we feel after we have a meal," Conde-Knape added. "And in individuals that maybe are suffering more with obesity, there is a deregulation in this."

But, just like a real hormone, Ozempic won't work to control your appetite once you stop taking it, which is why many patients regain much of the weight they lost within a few months or years, once they discontinue the medication.

"We are not yet able to redefine that body-wide setpoint," Conde-Knape said. "The quest in identifying better mechanisms for obesity is not over yet."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78May 31, 2023 12:12 AM

While I would love to have my food cravings disappear, I don't like the sound of these side effects, especially the slowing down of digestion which I believe is actually gastroparesis. Seems like you're just asking for trouble.

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2023 4:15 PM

If you don't overeat, and make healthy choices, stay well hydrated and drink electrolytes, you won't have any side effects. If you eat pizza or other greasy garbage and pile 6 Diet Cokes on top of it, you'll be hurting so much, you won't do that again.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2023 4:20 PM

[quote] I don't like the sound of these side effects, especially the slowing down of digestion

What does that do?

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2023 4:34 PM

It's the same exact effects (and side effects) as gastric bypass surgery, except with the surgery, you don't have to continue taking a medication. You can learn to eat (or drink alcohol) around it, but it's a tool for life if you treat it right. I should know, I had the surgery in 2003. I've never gained back all the weight I lost (over 100 lbs), but during COVID, I did get to the heaviest weight I've ever been since the surgery. I've been losing that weight though, and am almost back to pre-COVID weight.

Anyways, the surgery does the same thing: turns off the hunger signal by eliminating ghrelin production, and you get full on far smaller amounts of food. You also experience diarrhea and stomach issues if you eat the wrong kinds of things (too greasy foods, lots of sugar).

I'm not saying get one over the other, I'm just showing that the sum effect of both are the turning off the hunger hormones and the smaller amounts of food (and satiety of consumed food) are extremely similar. I don't regret having my surgery, it fixed something that was wrong with my body. I was never a binge eater or snack food eater, nor did I love sweets. I just couldn't lose the weight no matter what I did, and I did everything (and was not deluding myself about what I was eating either).

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2023 4:42 PM

It's anecdotal, but anecdotal enough that addiction scientists are studying it. People on ozempic report that they've stopped drinking without cravings, compulsive shopping, biting their fingernails, picking there faces, gambling and all other manner of dopamine based addictions, not just over eating. They didn't even think about it until they realized they'd stopped.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2023 4:48 PM

OMG R5, I might have to look into this.

I never realized that Ozempic helped with those things, as well.

I am worried about the side effects of any drug, though.

Btw, what in the hell was the original purpose/use for Ozempic?

All I hear about nowdays are the weight loss benefits, but never about its original purpose.

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2023 4:52 PM

[quote]Anyways

*eyeroll*

[quote] picking there faces,

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2023 4:57 PM

I'm worried about the constipation side effect since I'm prone to constipation anyway. I don't mind the nausea, diarrhea, etc. but constipation I couldn't stand.

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2023 5:25 PM

The question is: where does it end?

It seems people basically need to stay on it for life. If so, who pays?

And if you say, well, insurance cos should pay for it, you really it will result in much high premiums for everyone?

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2023 5:28 PM

Constipation can easily be solved with enough water, exercise, and fibre. Practically impossible to be constipated if you're active every day. And by active I mean taking a brisk walk for an hour.

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2023 6:39 PM

r9 There are two players on the market and other pharma giants are entering this hot race left and right. Price won't be an issue once all of this scales up a couple of years from now. Also, you seriously underestimate the financial burden of obesity, these drugs would totally make up for that, and then some.

by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2023 6:41 PM

Except, R11, lots of those taking these drugs are not obese. They are just slimming down.

And you’ve seen so many examples of where new entrants into a drug market haven’t brought prices down a lot.

I have two friends on it. Neither are obese. Insurance is paying.

Do I want to absorb the extra costs for so people can look better in their bathing suits?

by Anonymousreply 12March 30, 2023 7:08 PM

If you look on the reddit page, some of the most hardcore addicted to overeating carbivores have come off of it, but they were able to change their eating habits and have kept the weight off for months. It doesn't have to be a lifetime thing

by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2023 7:09 PM

I’m still expecting some sort of blowback like Phen Phen.

by Anonymousreply 14March 30, 2023 7:11 PM

So much “miracle” drugs come to mind like Celebrex where over the longer term they’ve discovered some scary problems.

Which is why you never want to take any of these drugs in the early days unless you absolutely have to (and I’d argue that, for the truly obese, it sounds like it’s worth the risk).

by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2023 7:15 PM

Wait for it… ozempic dick lol

by Anonymousreply 16March 30, 2023 7:19 PM

[QUOTE] I don't like the sound of these side effects, especially the slowing down of digestion

That’s not a side effect. It’s one of the main features of the drug. Obese people often suffer from rapid gastric emptying, a largely overlooked and undiagnosed condition which is a part of the reason why they constantly feel hungry. These semaglutide drugs simply correct the problem so your digestion moves more like a normal, lean person who isn’t always thinking about food.

by Anonymousreply 17March 30, 2023 7:23 PM

R10- I exercise every day but an hour a day seven days a week is excessive.

by Anonymousreply 18March 30, 2023 7:25 PM

Well, an hour a day shouldn’t be too much unless you’re really old or handicapped.

I walk four-plus hours a day and am no spring chicken.

In our society, people are conditioned to think a 20-30 minute walk is real exercise. It’s really not, unless you’re 80.

by Anonymousreply 19March 30, 2023 7:27 PM

[quote]I walk four-plus hours a day

Don't you own a car, mate?

by Anonymousreply 20March 30, 2023 7:34 PM

Yes but I don’t like to be fat.

by Anonymousreply 21March 30, 2023 7:38 PM

I walk shelter dogs.

by Anonymousreply 22March 30, 2023 7:38 PM

[quote] Anyways, the surgery does

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 23March 30, 2023 7:42 PM

Interesting re: gut biome theories. I have seen accounts from people with addictive behaviors or mental health issues who adopt LC or keto diets to lose a few pounds who find mental health improves greatly or they stop drinking, etc. I've always wondered how much it had to do with changes to gut health, candida, etc and endorphins/dopamine seeking behaviors.

by Anonymousreply 24March 31, 2023 4:13 PM

Maybe? Carbs really just make you more hungry and reward seeking

by Anonymousreply 25March 31, 2023 4:20 PM

A lot of people on high starch diets seem to have mental health issues, that may be one reason vegans are so prone to them, along with nutrient deficiencies.

by Anonymousreply 26March 31, 2023 4:26 PM

I think the crazy vegan thing is chicken egg situation. And most people obsessed enough to follow a vegan are obsessive enough to track vitamins etc

by Anonymousreply 27April 1, 2023 1:06 PM

I started yesterday. I felt full after eating some baby cucumbers, carrots and about half the dip I normally would have eaten. A very small amount of pulled pork and about 3 bites of mashed potatoes. I imagine this is how normal people eat every day. I've never been able to do that. Also the idea of my customary bottle of wine after work sounds absolutely disgusting.

I did have a dry mouth and cucumber burps when I woke up, but I took an antacid and feel fine now. Can't really think of anything I want to eat, maybe a chicken Caesar salad but not for a lot of hours and nowhere near as big as I would have made on Monday. I know this feeling will fade eventually and I'll need to up the dose, but I'm really hoping to retrain myself with this stuff. Pretty amazing 24 hours, which may be all the placebo effect, but I'll take it

by Anonymousreply 28April 13, 2023 6:49 PM

Best of luck, r28. Seriously, my friend.

by Anonymousreply 29April 13, 2023 6:52 PM

Wow, that's crazy. Even the wine? Wow. Best of luck! r28.

Here's an FDA snapshot on the drug trials for consumers:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 13, 2023 7:19 PM

I hope you all die from taking Ozempic.

Fucking weight loss cheaters.

by Anonymousreply 31April 13, 2023 10:26 PM

Annnd there it is. Paying a shit ton of money to inject drugs into your stomach while you watch your what you eat lest you suffer unpleasant side effects isn't cheating. You fucking psycho.

by Anonymousreply 32April 13, 2023 10:45 PM

I went on Saxenda July 2022 then switched to Wegovy Oct 2022 and lost 20 pounds within first 3 months. 63 years old , walk 5K x 5 day week in 50 minutes, calories around 1600-to 1800 day. The injections were the 'jolt' to lose the initial weight, I am still losing weight (about 1-2 lbs a week) to get to my target weight 200lbs (about 8 weeks to go). The injections do make me nauseated and I can't wait to get off them. And yes, I have been on every fucking diet since I hit my 40's (was a 29 inch waist as younger man). The injections were the only significant weight loss I have ever had and is a real motivator to keep going. And yes, when I go off medication I will continue my Mediterranean diet

by Anonymousreply 33April 13, 2023 11:05 PM

R33 aren't you worried about gaining the weight back? It's a very real thing. You will feel ravenous all the time.

by Anonymousreply 34April 13, 2023 11:21 PM

(34) yes, That is why I really , really trying to make this Mediterranean diet lifestyle a habit (seems to be working). I am losing the weight for health reasons (not vanity). I am newly retired and would like to hang around for a few more years. Total weight loss goal 35 pounds. thanks for asking, I ask myself the same question all the time

by Anonymousreply 35April 13, 2023 11:36 PM

I lost 40 lbs. on the 16-8 fast, and I've managed to keep it off for 1 1/2 years now by watching what I eat and walking.

I would not want to stick a needle into my belly unless my life depended on it.

by Anonymousreply 36April 14, 2023 12:35 AM

R6 it would be worth digging through the memory hole to find out the original intention for the med.

An acne/BC drug I took as a teen that almost drove me and many others insane and su!cidal turned out later to be a repurposed chemo drug. They were giving this shit to teens and preteens. Only a class action lawsuit brought that to light.

by Anonymousreply 37April 14, 2023 2:03 AM

[quote] re: gut biome theories. I have seen accounts from people with addictive behaviors or mental health issues who adopt LC or keto diets to lose a few pounds who find mental health improves greatly.

My sister always tells me that my autism symptoms noticeably calm down when I’ve had my B12 supplements.

Recently it’s been accepted by doctors & psychs that ASD has as much if not more so to do with the gut than the brain. Seeing the high success rate and low side effects of fecal transplants for ASF, I really want to try one, but it’s hard to get that procedure signed off.

by Anonymousreply 38April 14, 2023 2:06 AM

[quote] An acne/BC drug I took as a teen that almost drove me and many others insane and su!cidal turned out later to be a repurposed chemo drug

Was it Accutane?

by Anonymousreply 39April 14, 2023 2:06 AM

Basically food sits in your stomach longer so you feel fuller. That is what causes nausea and vomiting.

by Anonymousreply 40April 14, 2023 2:27 AM

This is fascinating. Hopefully no long term negative effects because I think this is what a lot of people needed. A lot of it is a capitalist grab but still amazing what pharmacology has accomplished recently.

by Anonymousreply 41April 14, 2023 2:31 AM

R39 yep. It put my cousin in a psych hospital a few clicks away from death via self-harm and starvation as well. In a nutshell, something to do with heptoxicity.

@ccutane didn’t damage everyone who took it, there are some success stories. But for every one person it helped, I would say it harmed a few others and left dreadful permanent physical/mental damage.

So naturally I sideeye any remarketed or repurposed med nowadays.

by Anonymousreply 42April 14, 2023 11:49 AM

I actually really appreciate this thread. I’m obese and the idea of Ozempic seemed really appealing except when I read the poster above that talked about gastroparesis. I had that for several years when I was younger and it was a nightmare. I don’t ever want to go through that again. So thank you for this thread!

by Anonymousreply 43April 14, 2023 12:00 PM

I was close to getting on it -- I'm 30 lbs overweight and pre-diabetic and got a scrip for it. But the pharmacy wouldn't fill it because insurance didn't cover it; didn't even allow me to self-pay since I'm not full fledged diabetic (yet).

I think I dodged a bullet.

by Anonymousreply 44April 14, 2023 12:52 PM

I will soon try compounded semaglutide with B12 from Henry Meds. It cost $300 per month that way. Still expensive, but a third the cost of Ozempic.

by Anonymousreply 45April 14, 2023 3:48 PM

R45, that's where I got mine. It was so easy, and yes, they just raised the price to $300. I do think the B12 is a brilliant edition to getting around the drug patent laws. I feel like it negates a lot of the side effects that the other name brands seem to be giving people. Plus I like using a regular needle. The pens are nuts, you have to "count clicks" up to 40 times to get the correct dose

by Anonymousreply 46April 14, 2023 5:57 PM

Fat whores Rejoice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47April 14, 2023 6:02 PM

[quote]the B12 is a brilliant edition

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 48April 14, 2023 8:02 PM

[quote]It cost $300 per month that way. Still expensive, but a third the cost of Ozempic.

So Ozempic costs around $900/month?! Is that with insurance or without?

by Anonymousreply 49April 14, 2023 8:03 PM

R49 without . But difficult to get insurance to cover it unless you have diabetes diagnosed by a doctor

by Anonymousreply 50April 14, 2023 8:11 PM

Wow! Thanks, r50.

by Anonymousreply 51April 14, 2023 8:11 PM

I have a fiend on Ozempic who is not diabetic and insurance covered it.

by Anonymousreply 52April 14, 2023 8:18 PM

R52 / R51 my mistake, it was Monjouro I tried to get.

by Anonymousreply 53April 14, 2023 9:06 PM

[quote] I have a fiend on Ozempic who is not diabetic and insurance covered it.

You have to be a fiend to be on Ozempic.

Lazy losers who would rather pop a pill to lose weight, rather than working at diet and exercise.

by Anonymousreply 54April 14, 2023 9:14 PM

Ceptin' it ain't a pill.

by Anonymousreply 55April 14, 2023 9:27 PM

I exercise tons and eat fairly well so I’m slim.

I long thought others could easily do the same.

But some people are metabolically fucked and can’t overcome that.

by Anonymousreply 56April 14, 2023 9:30 PM

If the claims about it curbing all dopamine 'high' seeking behaviors, there's too much money at stake to be list for this to be legal much longer.

Should be an interesting show, seeing how this goes.

by Anonymousreply 57April 14, 2023 9:35 PM

^lost not list

by Anonymousreply 58April 14, 2023 9:36 PM

Nesting and newly fat former whores here. My husband just started on Wegovy and I'm seeing my doc in a couple of weeks to get on it as well. We'll see how it goes!

by Anonymousreply 59April 14, 2023 9:38 PM

R53, Monjouro is the cheaper generic version.

Regulates blood sugar swings and eliminates cravings for the hypoglycemic, who can now be satisfied with much smaller portions for longer periods of time. Otherwise it's very challenging when mealtimes must be delayed and healthy snacks don't cut it.

by Anonymousreply 60April 14, 2023 9:40 PM

I'm interested in the long term fall out from this. What happens in 5-10 years of taking this drug if you didn't need it for diabetes?

Are your organs shot? What happens to the yo-yo'ers?

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

by Anonymousreply 61April 14, 2023 9:43 PM

[quote]Btw, what in the hell was the original purpose/use for Ozempic?

Why, it lowered your A1C, of course!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62April 14, 2023 9:44 PM

Thanks, scientists!

by Anonymousreply 63April 14, 2023 9:51 PM

R60 respectfully disagree.

Mounjaro is not a cheaper or generic version. And it is only approved for diabetes, whereas Ozempic has been approved for weight loss (in addition to diabetes).

Without insurance, Mounjaro is about $1,000/mo.

"Mounjaro is the first of its kind that targets two major hormones that regulate blood sugar levels and can help patients lose weight: GLP-1 and glucose-dependent insulinotropic polypeptide (GIP)."

by Anonymousreply 64April 14, 2023 9:53 PM

[quote]Patients have said Ozempic makes them less interested in formerly favorite foods, like Chick-fil-A, coffee, alcohol and Kit Kats, and more into kale and smoothies.

Interesting. My dad is on Ozempic for diabetes and it hasn't really changed his favourite foods at all. He does eat less, but then, so does my mother who isn't on it, and I assumed that was like the same thing I've observed in all older people.

On the other hand, I seem to have changed my eating desires by going onto a "three healthy meals a day" situation, and after a short while of craving sugar, that has pretty much gone, and when I have eaten chocolate (like on Easter Sunday recently), I found it more unpleasant than anything, and quite easily gave it up again. Eating the way I do also helps me feel more full, funnily enough, even though I'm eating less, just healthy.

by Anonymousreply 65April 14, 2023 10:07 PM

I would be very interested to hear from other DL users about the purported addiction curbing benefits, if anyone would be willing to share.

by Anonymousreply 66April 14, 2023 10:13 PM

I'm 50, obese and diabetic. Was a skinny kid through HS into college, then hit 30, got a desk job and got into some bad habits. My liver doctor suggested a GLP-1 option, like Ozempic. I suggested it to my regular doctor who thought it worth a try. The pen is easy, it not an injection per se (like doing insulin), it's a quick stick. No "counting clicks" as someone said upthread, it has a dial yes, but with an dosage indicator. I did .25 mg for 4 weeks, it went ok, did .5 mg for 4 weeks, ok, and just started 1 mg weekly.

I didn't lose much weight in the beginning but in the 3 months my ac1 is down and my regular blood sugar level is down, both 'near normal' for a non diabetic person. And I've lost about 20 lbs, part of that was listening to my body - I would start to eat a normal meal (for me) and realized I wasn't hungry. So I do eat less. So far I haven't experienced any side effects and my doctor is monitoring my levels. She said the weight loss is at a good level, she doesn't want it to be too fast. I may be able to get off other medication if this keeps up.

by Anonymousreply 67April 14, 2023 10:25 PM

Don't be shitty like R45/R46 and hoard B12 away from anaemics & coeliacs & those with parietal conditions & others who actually need it to function on a day-to-day.

If I don't get my 3x weekly SI shots, I'm a neuropathic wreck who can't walk around or think straight or swallow anything. And no, I'm not obese or a fat whore, just someone with a fucked-up gut & stomach apparently.

by Anonymousreply 68April 14, 2023 10:29 PM

Calm down, R68. I'm sure there's enough B12 to go around.

by Anonymousreply 69April 14, 2023 10:31 PM

HenryMeds is a legit site?

by Anonymousreply 70April 15, 2023 12:27 AM

Yes. Really easy. I filled out an online form gave them my credit card and a pic of my ID and scheduled a telehealth call with a doctor. Spent 15 minutes discussing it and was sent a vial of semaglutide and a shitload of alcohol pads and diabetic needles. The injection didn't hurt at all. I'm hoping they don't get too popular tho because the meds took 10 days to arrive instead of the promises 7 or 8 because they're busy as shit. When I emailed them for a tracking number they immediately explained the delay tho

by Anonymousreply 71April 15, 2023 4:32 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72April 15, 2023 12:06 PM

[quote] It seems people basically need to stay on it for life. If so, who pays? And if you say, well, insurance cos should pay for it, you really it will result in much high premiums for everyone?

If it reduces health problems later in life brought on by obesity, it won't result in higher premiums.

by Anonymousreply 73April 15, 2023 1:02 PM

If. There are doctors saying the weight seesawing is more dangerous than the obesity, so there’s that.

by Anonymousreply 74April 16, 2023 2:02 AM

Was anyone using it tempted to stay on the 0.25mg dose?

by Anonymousreply 75May 30, 2023 11:04 PM

Won't this be dangerous in a sense that it will make a lot of people underweight?

by Anonymousreply 76May 30, 2023 11:08 PM

I am on it. Guess what. I don't crave Kale and Apples. I still eat Pizza, Ice Cream and everything else I did before. What is does do is make you feel full faster. Before I could eat a pizza, now I can eat two slices before I am full. A pint would be gone in a sixty seconds before, now I take a few bites and done. You CAN over eat but you will pay. Indigestion and gastric pain. I had sushi and an egg roll last week and I was sick all night and I just had to ride it out. I take it for blood sugar and what I can say is it lowered my daily readings almost overnight. I have lost 16 pounds so far without trying.

by Anonymousreply 77May 31, 2023 12:11 AM

r75 I am still on .25. I go up in two weeks so we shall see. The .25 dose is just to let your body get used to it (so my dr says.)

by Anonymousreply 78May 31, 2023 12:12 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!