Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Discovering great "new" tunes by researching samples from other tunes

Has anyone ever done this? I have increased my music library exponentially thanks in large part to popular songs that have sampled (usually better) other tunes that may or may not otherwise be well-known. A lot of people shit on sampling in music, but many don't realize that sampling tends to introduce new ears to rather high-brow, quality, music that they may never have heard if it wasn't sampled. Also, the sampled artist usually continues to get royalties as a result.

What fairly decent songs have you discovered because you went on a "sample hunt?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2023 6:05 AM

This is a big one, for both artists:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2023 5:32 AM

My greatest sample find comes from when I was in college in the 1990s. I liked the playful Cali rap group The Pharcyde. They had a big song, "Runnin'," and the main sample was Stan Getz's "Saudade Vem Correndo." Not only do I love "Saudade Vem Correndo," but to this day, I love the entire album that it's from - Stan Getz and Luis Bonfa's "Jazz Samba Encore." That was a true find, as I didn't know the sampled song and didn't listen to much of the artist before I heard the song where it was sampled. For a lot of hip hop songs, I knew the sample before I heard the song that used the sample.

by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2023 5:45 AM

r2 First, "Runnin'" is a bop, and whosampled is a godsend. I found it immediately, along with other songs they apparently sampled in the track.

I can't remember how I first discovered Stan Getz's music. I think I heard "Mais Que Nada" by Sergio Mendes in a movie, "Shazamed" it, and then got taken down a bossa nova and samba rabbit hole on YouTube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2023 5:58 AM

R3, I can honestly say that "Runnin'" got me into bossa nova generally because after Jazz Samba Encore I kept exploring the genre as well as Latin jazz more broadly. Led me to Elis Regina, among others.

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2023 6:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!