Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Legendary drag performer Darcelle (Walter Cole) is DEAD to me

I am not sure how well-known he was on a national scale, but Darcelle had the longest-running drag performance career in the United States., and was a legend in my hometown. My mom and stepdad saw several of his shows and they were apparently uproarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2023 5:49 PM

This is huge news if you're a Portlander--Darcelle is one of the five or so most famous people in the entire city, and her show has ALWAYS been playing here. It's really the passing of an era.

Thanks, OP, for letting me know.

by Anonymousreply 2March 24, 2023 3:53 AM

Authoress!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 24, 2023 3:59 AM

Sweet story.

Thanks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 24, 2023 4:34 AM

So young.

by Anonymousreply 5March 24, 2023 9:21 PM

Darcelle was there since time began! I remember going to one of those shows when I lived in Portland in 1981!

by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2023 3:57 AM

Who takes the crown now? Lady Bunny? Bruce Jenner?

by Anonymousreply 7March 26, 2023 6:00 AM

Meghan Markle, R7. She'll kill for a tiara.

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2023 3:00 AM

Darcelle deserves a bump! ... if only for this ........" She once raised $250,000 in 25 minutes "

Darcelle was an advocate for Portland’s L.G.B.T.Q. community, particularly its younger members, and an indefatigable fund-raiser for many causes.

She once raised $250,000 in 25 minutes for a local hospital during a radio campaign.

nytimes obit below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9April 13, 2023 4:26 PM

Was she the inspiration for Darcy Penelle on Kids in the Hall? (An eccentric talk show queen who may have been played as a drag act.)

by Anonymousreply 10April 13, 2023 5:49 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!