Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why do Hallmark and Lifetime movies so cheap-looking?

I know they're low-budget with a less-known cast, but the studios making them do have money and access to high-quality cameras and light technicians.

I'm not talking about the crappy scripts, I'm referring to the overall look of these tv movies.

by Anonymousreply 19March 19, 2023 7:37 PM

You answered your own question.

They're low-budget.

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 3:37 PM

Part of the problem is they film those movies in 2 or 3 weeks. There have been threads on reddit where people who have worked Hallmark movie crews have posted. Everything is rushed and crew members have said that the sets are toxic environments.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 3:39 PM

They're feature length soap operas, of course they're cheap.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 3:40 PM

R1 But the cameras they use are the same ones used for expensive Hollywood films, like Zoolander, Oscar films, and Pirates of the Caribbean.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 3:40 PM

This is the cute town in Eastern Ontario where they film a ton of them -especially the Xmas ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 3:41 PM

I think they use the “Gilmore Girls” set, too.

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 3:41 PM

fraus are more more invested in shit. If it ain't broke...

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 3:42 PM

"But the cameras they use are the same ones used for expensive Hollywood films, like Zoolander, Oscar films, and Pirates of the Caribbean."

No.

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 3:42 PM

R4. I assume a lot of the quality also comes in post.

Which I'm guessing is about 5 minutes on MS Paint for some Hallmark movies.

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 3:42 PM

r1 I'd argue it's more the problem of generic writers and nobody directors that couldn't even come up with a flipbook.,.. frankly, they throw all their cash at the leads, then fill up the rest of the cast and crew with random people they've dragged off the streets.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 3:46 PM

The writing on TV movies these days sucks. There were some TV movies back in the 70s, 80s, and 90s that were well written.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 3:51 PM

I loved this cut for time SNL sketch that dragged Hallmark.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 3:52 PM

I remember in the '90s their movies had great production values and featured actual stars.

For example, Campbell Scott and Jennifer Jason Leigh in THE LOVE LETTER.

Or Glenn Close and Christopher Walken in the SARA, PLAIN AND TALL trilogy.

Even in the 2000s, there was Keri Russell and Skeet Ulrich in THE MAGIC OF ORDINARY DAYS.

WTF happened?

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 3:57 PM

I was referring to Hallmark movies.

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 3:58 PM

Yes, why do they?

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 4:15 PM

It's obvious they use limited-focus shots for most of the character scenes. That way, no one can focus on details in the background. So all we see is a slightly blurred background, Christmas decorations etc. That saves a lot of money on finishes, details, set decor.

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 4:59 PM

Does Lifetime still use the tagline “Television For Women”?

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 6:24 PM

R17 They stopped a long time ago with tagline.

Speaking of Lifetime, I will admit I miss the days when they used to air TV movies that originally on the broadcast networks.

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2023 6:57 PM

And every other week they featured a movie starring Meredith Baxter.

by Anonymousreply 19March 19, 2023 7:37 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!