Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Why did Fiddler on the Roof lose Best Picture to The French Connection?

I thought Fiddler was the better film.

I feel like French Connection doesn’t really hold up.

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2023 5:17 PM

It lost because of Anti-Semitism!

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 4:30 AM

I think it really signaled the end of an era of the old MGM & other musical films. This was the 70s, film was gritty and dramatic. It was a transition period.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 4:30 AM

Because it was five hours long and boring watch poor people sing joyless songs.

The audiences kept yelling, “Bring on the pogrom!”

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 4:34 AM

Fiddler on the Roof needed some sassy black people like Gone With The Wind or Song of the South.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 4:39 AM

The ox-cart chase scene in Fiddler just wasn’t that exciting.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 4:43 AM

I’ve seen regional, community and even high school theatre productions of Fiddler that have made me go “oh yeah, this is a great show. You can’t really fuck it up.”

But man, the movie is like sitting through a day-long Yom Kippur service in a mud pit.

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 4:45 AM

[quote]I thought Fiddler was the better film.

And you would be wrong, OP.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 5:01 AM

Salute to Topol, nominated for the 1971 Oscar for Best Actor, who recently died.

Norma Crane, who plays the wife, died at age 44 in 1973. Does anyone know more about her? Was it best explained that her death was tragic?

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 8:19 AM

#FiddlersoJewish

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 1:06 PM

The French Connection is one of those perfect films, like Goodfellas. It deserves all the awards and praise it got.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 2:15 PM

The French Connection has Fernando Rey as the bad guy and one of the best car chases in movie history. That's why, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 4:22 PM

No love for (yawn) Nicholas and Alexandra? The Massie bio was a great read, the movie even more boring than Doctor Zhivago.

I would have picked The Last Picture Show—I bet it came in second. Fiddler lacked the great humor and pathos of the stage show and A Clockwork Orange, while revolutionary for its time, hasn’t aged well.

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 4:31 PM

[quote]Norma Crane, who plays the wife, died at age 44 in 1973. Does anyone know more about her? Was it best explained that her death was tragic? [quote]

Breast Cancer

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 4:39 PM

Agree about [bold]The Last Picture Show[/bold] R12. It gets better & better every time I watch it. It seems like the further away we get from its time period, the more resonant it becomes.

Don't agree about [bold]A Clockwork Orange[/bold] however. I just watched it again last year and felt it hadn't aged at all. Prescient and still very relevant.

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 4:57 PM

A Clockwork Orange was too controversial to ever win. But I agree that it's held up beautifully.

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 5:08 PM

I guess the Jews DON'T run Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 5:12 PM

I live in a small town that is very much like the town in The Last Picture Show, even now. That film really captured something just perfectly, even with Cybil's big brown beaver in the nude scene.

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 5:15 PM

R8 Was it best explained?

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2023 5:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!