Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

One Less Bell To Answer - Which version is your favorite?

Rosemary Clooney recorded it first, in 1968. The 5th Dimension had a major hit with it in 1970, and Dionne Warwick recorded it in 1972. I'm partial to Rosemary's version.

Here's Rosemary....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 3:07 AM

Here's Dionne....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 12:31 AM

And here's the 5th Dimension....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 12:32 AM

The 5th Dimension version is timeless; I like RC, but it just doesn't compare. There's just such heartache in the 5D version. Even today, when I'm feeling sad or after a breakup (when I used to care about such things) those lyrics "I should be happy, but all I do is cry" still bring tears to my eyes.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 12:35 AM

Here's Dionne....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 12:36 AM

The 5th Dimension, hands down.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 12:43 AM

Here is Streisand's version along with A House Is Not a Home

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 12:46 AM

Keely had the first shot at it in 1967

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 12:50 AM

The 5th Dimension - it's perfection and R3 has it right. The Streisand version is typical Barbra - all about her and not the song.

All hail Marilyn McCoo and the backup vocals/harmonizing of the 5th Dimension.

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 12:58 AM

🎵Extra value is what you get when you buy Coronet🎶

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 1:08 AM

Bacharach is not a good match for Rosemary Clooney's signing style..

Dionne could have been so much better than she is here. She probably wanted to keep it different from the McCoo version but it's not up to her usual greatness.

I agree with R8 about Babs.

Keely Smith's is interpretation is wonderful. Has sort of forlorn housewife feel. How cool would it have been to hear her singing this in a supper club.

But it's clearly the 5th dimension for the win.

Note McCoo's exquisite phrasing. She turns the song into a one act play.

And that swanky orchestration is what we want to hear from a Bacharach song.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 1:19 AM

As a general rule, I always prefer Dionne’s version of a Bacharach song, but this one belongs to Marilyn.

The rest of them are just also rans.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 1:27 AM

I wonder if those of us who grew up with the 5th Dimension’s version are biased because we’re so accustomed to it; I’m finding now I still prefer it.

Dionne’s version is fine. A distant second to Marilyn McCoo. I appreciate that despite how powerful Dionne’s voice could be she never felt the need to belt it out with this tune.

Never was a fan of Rosemary Clooney. Her singing here does nothing to change my mind. A song I’ve always found heartbreaking becomes merely … I don’t know, just a brief sad moment in her hands.

As for Barbra, I love her. But the duet treatment by the Barbras pushes this tune into melodrama territory. Had she sung it without backing herself, it might have been much nicer.

That said—and I don’t mean to be uncharitable—I just find it hard to believe Barbra has fried an egg or picked up after a man in the past fifty years. So I had to chuckle when those words escaped her lips.

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 2:11 AM

5th Dimension for the win. It is a perfect fit for Marilyn's voice and she sings the hell out of it.

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 2:18 AM

Anyone who says that Streisand's version isn't the best is just lying. Her vocals are on a completely different level than the others. No one can touch that voice and interpretive ability.

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 2:25 AM

Definitely Marilyn McCoo. You just feel the heartbreak in her voice without all the Streisand histrionics.

When the Fifth Dimension started out, they were truly an ensemble , with hits like "Up, Up and Away", "Stoned Soul Picnic" and "Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In". But with "Wedding Bell Blues", "One Less Bell To Answer", "I Didn't Get To Sleep At All", etc, it really became Marilyn McCoo and the Fifth Dimension. Yet she never asked for that billing. Same thing with David Gates and Bread. Any others?

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 2:28 AM

^ Diana Ross and The Supremes. Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons.

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 3:07 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!