Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What is classic French, chic beauty? Are Marion Cotillard and Vanessa Paradis good examples?

I mention them because they're the only famous French women whose names I recognize. I know Eva Green exists, but I don't find her pretty at all.

People are always talking about how chic, stylish and classy Marion Cotillard and Vanessa Paradis are. What is it about these women that gives them that chic aura? I don't think French women have a special, unique look---they could blend in anywhere Western Europe. I live in the UK and see lots of women who have similar appearances/facial features as Marion Cotillard and Vanessa Paradis. So is the pretty French look just about attitude and poise? What about the facial features?

So you find those two attractive?

by Anonymousreply 66March 19, 2023 6:09 PM

Nobody knows?

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2023 1:32 AM

I think the French style is over-hyped.

Supposedly, French women take such good care of their skin that they don't need to wear face makeup (foundation). They don't do crazy colors for lipstick or nail polish. They watch their weight more than American women. I think the rules are more rigid for French women, which can be a good thing: no stupid hair colors and yoga pants everywhere.

However, I think if you find a stylish American woman who knows how to apply makeup & do her hair, she's going to look as good as a stylish French woman.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 2:14 AM

I know she's italian but as far as style/hair/make up the best one to represent the french is Isabella Rosselini. Casual chic, simple hair combed back, elegant but casual, little make up (or what looks like little make up) neutral, tan colors or black.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 2:19 AM

Actually, never mind, no one can represent french beauty more than Juliette Binoche.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 2:20 AM

What the fuck am I? Old, wrinkly beldame?

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 2:26 AM

I'd say that the classic beauty binary for French Women would have someone like Letiticia Casta on one end (Vuluptuous, ripe and "natural" coquette) and Ines De La Fressange on the other (urban, chic, slim and provocatively androgynous)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 2:27 AM

ines De La Fessange

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 2:29 AM

I think of Stéphane Audran, thin, cool, and elegant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 2:37 AM

Ines de la Fressange

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 2:42 AM

It has to be Juliette

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 2:54 AM

I think Italian women have better style.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 2:59 AM

Nobody beats Bardot in my book.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 3:03 AM

Here's BB more recently.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 3:06 AM

But the op was asking what is classic french chic beauty. All those women pics up so far are average at best. Not even pretty. BB was. She is the eg of classic French chic beauty. It’s not about ‘now’ or at least not as the first sentence says. Not one of those girls will escaping changes to their faces due to age. But in their best times they don’t hold a candle to Bardot in her time of beauty.

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 3:11 AM

Madame Brigitte

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 3:24 AM

r14 I agree that Bardot was gorge but you really gonna try to argue that Leticia Casta doesnt even reach pretty? Girl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 3:27 AM

Saw her pic after I posted that. No. She is beautiful.

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 3:32 AM

Francois Hardy, prototype for the "cool 60s Parisian girl" look that got big in the late 90s and 00s. big influence on the style of women like Sofia Coppola and Charlotte Gainsberg

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2023 3:35 AM

R14 I’m sorry, if you think Deneuve, Bardot and Casta are “average”, especially compared to likes of Cotillard and Paradis….

French women can be chic voluptuous or thin, it’s about an air of elegance. They also tend not to go extreme on the plastic surgery and Botox like most Americans.

I always thought Fanny Ardant was absolutely stunning. So was Isabelle Adjani, but she’s half Algerian, so I wonder if that’s cheating. More comparatively “plain” actresses like Isabelle Huppert or Jeanne Moreau are still extremely elegant seeming and sexy. The icons who are from other countries (Charlotte Rampling, Romy Schneider) also have this elegant air about them.

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2023 3:35 AM

Francoise Hardy is a great one. She was the most grown-up of that ye-ye girl cohort (Sylvie Vartan, France Gall, who both have their appeal…)

Anna Karina is another one of that era whose style is still emulated often.

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2023 3:37 AM

I've always thought that actress Mylene Jampanoi embodied a modern-day chic French beauty—earthy, but also elegant. Her father is Chinese, and her mother is French-Breton. I think she is stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2023 3:38 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 18, 2023 3:39 AM

R19 you have that backwards. I thought Cotillard and Paradis not pretty as BB.

by Anonymousreply 23March 18, 2023 3:43 AM

Yelle comes to mind as a modern example

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 18, 2023 3:47 AM

Sophie Marceau....especially in Braveheart, and that should end the thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 18, 2023 3:49 AM

Air France safety video

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 18, 2023 3:54 AM

Catherine Deneuve embodies classic French style. It's not my favorite fashion style and I've never really been a YSL fan.

Been to Paris a lot in my 20s and I do think people are good at dressing effortlessly stylish.

by Anonymousreply 27March 18, 2023 6:07 AM

Emmanuelle Beart in her prime. Très belle.

by Anonymousreply 28March 18, 2023 6:27 AM

Marion knows how to channel TRUE beauty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 18, 2023 6:28 AM

[quote]R2 Supposedly, French women take such good care of their skin that they don't need to wear face makeup (foundation). They don't do crazy colors for lipstick or nail polish.

Yes. This lady’s good if anyone want to know about that philosophy of French style.

It generally avoids looking like you’re trying too hard. They do use foundation, for example, but only where it’s needed. Same with powder. It takes a certain confidence to use a more minimalistic approach like that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 18, 2023 7:39 AM

[quote]This lady’s good if anyone want to know about that philosophy of French style.

She has a Russian accent, R30

by Anonymousreply 31March 18, 2023 10:04 AM

Arielle Dombasle

by Anonymousreply 32March 18, 2023 10:39 AM

Camille Cottin

by Anonymousreply 33March 18, 2023 10:51 AM

Danielle Darrieux

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 18, 2023 10:55 AM

Anouk Aimee, classic French look. Thin, elegant, wings of hair falling in her face that she brushes back with one perfectly manicured hand.

by Anonymousreply 35March 18, 2023 11:27 AM

Deneuve wins this, i love how she plays factory workers, police women or rural politicians wife always perfectly coiffed and manicured. Binoche is a peasant in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 36March 18, 2023 11:34 AM

French women smoke a lot, so I doubt it’s all about the beauty of the skin for them. If I had to define it, I would say their secret is elegance and having a strong sense of self.

by Anonymousreply 37March 18, 2023 11:42 AM

French women stay thin because they eat smaller portions and the food they eat is less processed crap.

by Anonymousreply 38March 18, 2023 11:44 AM

Let’s see, first there’s the less is more approach when it comes to makeup and their outfits. Next, it’s the way they carry themselves in an elegant and civilized manner. Also, no pajama pants are worn when they go to the grocery store. Big plus.

Natural femininity is celebrated, not the plastic and exaggerated Kardashian standard of what we would consider beautiful. No drawn on caterpillar eyebrows, 12 inch fingernails, and 2 pounds of artificial hair glued onto their scalps.

by Anonymousreply 39March 18, 2023 11:53 AM

French women do plastic surgery, only they don’t usually go overboard in general. They flirt with disaster occasionally but almost always get back from the brink (you can tell from the lips, Huppert is a case study on this).

by Anonymousreply 40March 18, 2023 11:57 AM

The French dress very plainly, and do not cover their faces with thick layers of makeup like women in Anglo-Saxon countries do. A lot less bottle-blondes, and less cleavage in France. I think actress Audrey Fleurot is a chic beauty.

by Anonymousreply 41March 18, 2023 12:03 PM

Artemis Onassis Garofalidis said that the Princess was "a Paris woman" while describing her appearance and demeanor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 18, 2023 1:44 PM

A lot of the ladies posted here are from a different era. What about modern French women? Are they wearing too much make-up like Americans and Brits?

by Anonymousreply 43March 18, 2023 3:38 PM

Marie-France Pisier

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 18, 2023 5:15 PM

R42, but she wasn't, she was American. We are NOT giving her up, she is one of the only ones we can claim with that kind of style, the French can't have her!

by Anonymousreply 45March 18, 2023 5:28 PM

R44 so happy to see her on here. One of my favorite movies, Other side of midnight and that Noelle's them. She was kind of entrancing. Yes. A beauty.

What about Geneviève Bujold? FRENCH Canadian...but FRENCH? Does she count?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 18, 2023 7:15 PM

[quote]R31 She has a Russian accent

But she lived and worked in France for a decade.

She’s more forthcoming than a native Parisian would be.Native French women want to appear so offhand about their looks (though they put a lot of work into them) that they’re notorious for not sharing specifics/secrets.

by Anonymousreply 47March 18, 2023 8:16 PM

Alexa Chung is on it:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 18, 2023 8:40 PM

For the mature caftan wearer:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 18, 2023 8:41 PM

N'est-ce pas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 18, 2023 9:29 PM

Yeah that's interesting to note that France is still poopooing the overly contoured makeup à la Kardashian and their ilk and use big brushes to apply foundation and powder where contoured makeup starts by delimiting the volumes with a thin line before getting to work on each of these volumes/areas. I'm French and I have watched Drag Race France and I noticed that even among the drag queens, there were two opposite schools of creating your makeup: with and without contouring. I don't remember watching queens skipping the contouring step of makeup in US RPDR.

As for which actress best personifies French, chic beauty, I would have gone with Isabelle Adjani but not only is she half Kabyle; her mother was German so there's not a lot of French blood there, so my choice would go to Carole Bouquet: a gorgeous (if somewhat aloof) French woman. Just like she was to Carrie Bradshaw in the last episode of the show: likeable yet a bit standoffish.

by Anonymousreply 51March 18, 2023 9:40 PM

[quote]R45 [Lee Radziwell] was American. We are NOT giving her up, she is one of the only ones we can claim with that kind of style, the French can't have her!

Lee was a mercenary whore, selling her cooze to the highest bidder.

The French understand that.

by Anonymousreply 52March 18, 2023 10:37 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 18, 2023 10:39 PM

[quote]r51 my choice would go to Carole Bouquet: a gorgeous (if somewhat aloof) French woman.

Oh! She was the face of Chanel in the 80s. I don’t know if that was before or after she was a Bond Girl.

The fact she has a gap in her teeth is very French. In the American modeling world, only Lauren Hutton had gotten away with that back then. But the French (maybe because they didn’t have the disposable income Americans did) were like, “Okay, I have gapped teeth. And?”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 18, 2023 10:58 PM

Carole has become a very good actress- she kills it (Literally) in a tv series called, "La Mante", a very Silence of the Lambs/Se7en type theme.

Would you add Berenice Bejo or Audrey Tautou as the gamine type of French beauty?

by Anonymousreply 55March 18, 2023 11:13 PM

Laetitia Casta is my favorite French beauty. This Cosmo magazine cover she did in 1998 was stunning.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 18, 2023 11:18 PM

As a non american (argentinean) female the contouring thing is beyond awful..I'm ok with using contouring to hide a major flaw you want corrected, and then only if you know how to do it well but these Z-er bitches, 90% of them anyway, look like they belong in a production of Le cage aux folles...don't get me wrong, I love drag queens and drag culture, but that's performative make up...it's not meant for every day. Glad to see french women not embracing it.

by Anonymousreply 57March 18, 2023 11:31 PM

French women have that slight pussy stank masked by perfume. Non merci.

by Anonymousreply 58March 18, 2023 11:39 PM

I think of french beauty and I think very pale face, dark hair, shoulder length or shorter, dark, doe eyes, a dainty nose and bee stung lips. She wears un trendy, classic clothing, in neutral colors (french fashion youtuber Justine Lecount says french women can sometimes be allowed to wear a more striking color but no more than one at a time), never too tight or slutty, in fact the baggier the better.

by Anonymousreply 59March 18, 2023 11:42 PM

^^ add fucked up teeth

by Anonymousreply 60March 18, 2023 11:56 PM

Interesting also is the fetishism about the "Parisian" way. It is not how to do your makeup the French way, it has to be Paris. Nobody cares for le makeup Lyonnais, Bordelais, Lillois or Marseillais, it's all about to nail it like they do in Paris.

It's not like you want to know la Mère Denis's makeup routine. Even if la Mère Denis became France's first and biggest advertising star (while being paid nickels and dimes).

[quote]Ca c'est vʀʀʀai çà

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 19, 2023 7:41 AM

Remember when Carrie Bradshaw went to Paris and got slapped?

by Anonymousreply 62March 19, 2023 12:51 PM

Only rich women fit the chic Parisian look. Lots of Paris girls dress like typical Americans.

by Anonymousreply 63March 19, 2023 2:21 PM

Capucine

by Anonymousreply 64March 19, 2023 2:21 PM

r63, Indeed- there is a very popular hip-hop/street culture look, but I still don't see the leggings/workout/trainers look there.

by Anonymousreply 65March 19, 2023 4:18 PM

The hip hop look is big there yes but unlike the US, its not used there by anyone over 30.

by Anonymousreply 66March 19, 2023 6:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!