Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fun celeb interactions

I was just driving through Beverly Hills, in the quiet burbs south of Burton Way, east of Rexford.

While at a stop sign, Jessica Lange walked by me. I grew up in a LA and I've seen everyone. But Jessica's a big deal to me. No, I am not that Lange Troll. Just a fan of her work.

We made eye contact. She smiled at me. I then did something I never do. I rolled down my window and told her she's amazing. Then, feeling stupid for doing this, I said she must get so tired of people saying that to her.

Without missing a beat she deadpanned: Never.

I then said, smiling now, that every gay man of a certain age is obsessed with her.

Again, in a perfect dead pan, she says: Oh, I'm well aware.

I laughed and so did she. She waved and told me to have a great day and that I made hers, before walking off.

Naturally, I had to tell DL first thing.

What are your fun celeb stories?

by Anonymousreply 321April 1, 2023 5:54 AM

Lange Loon

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2023 11:12 PM

Great story, OP. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2023 3:52 AM

I saw Chrissy Metz at Sizzler buffet (Sherman Oaks) , and said I loved her work. Pon jumped out from under her mumu and kicked me in the balls.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2023 4:17 AM

Cool story, OP. I'm not a huge fan of J. Lange, but that story made me like her a little more.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2023 4:41 AM

Faye Dunaway called me “new money trash” outside Il Pastaio, because I was given a table and she wasn’t. To be fair, I had a reservation and she didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 5March 18, 2023 5:02 AM

I met Cher at a party, and of course I wanted a picture. I stood next to her, and she grabbed me and said Come here, and laughed. She was strong AF and zero body fat.

One hell of a woman, and one of the few times I wasn't disappointed in meeting one of my idols.

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 6:32 AM

I love that R6!

R5, I feel like every one who ever lived in LA has a similar Faye story. But at least you actually earned her ire. Usually she's just being a bitch because she's, well, a bitch.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 7:23 AM

R5 - She might have said to the waiters Leave that new money bitch waiting and put a legend where she ought to be!

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 7:42 AM

That's so cool, OP. Who else have you ran into? Brad Pitt maybe?😍

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 8:24 AM

I once at the same restaurant as Brad Pitt, R9. A place called Mexico City in Los Feliz. Maybe ten years ago or so.

Not sure if that counts, but there it is.

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 8:38 AM

**ATE

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 8:38 AM

I have the same story as OP but with John Stamos

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 8:43 AM

R5 she’s hardly old money herself

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 9:00 AM

When I still lived in Chicago, I met Oprah, she was very pretty and kind of intimidating. My brother and I met Kevin Bacon at Chicago Motor Speedway, in the early 90's. My brother builds race cars and they spoke about that. I didn't say a word, but he was very friendly. I met Billy Ray Cyrus before he became famous. He used to cut my Grandparents lawn. My Grandparents lived in Ironton Ohio on 5th Street and he lived on 3rd Street. This was the mid 80's and I was visiting them. He was so polite and very, very handsome. He told my grandmother he was newly married and did odd jobs temporarily because he was a singer and songwriter. When Achy Breaky Heart came out and I saw him on TV, it was kind of surreal! Lol, my grandparents really liked him. I didn't meet him, but I saw Sylvester Stallone at the Oprah Show. He wasn't the guest that day though. The guests were Tanya Tucker, Alley Sherry and someone else I can't remember. During the commercial he came out and filmed a promo ( I guess). He was pretty handsome and short. We saw Bill Murray at the Cubs game, he looked grumpy.

by Anonymousreply 14March 18, 2023 9:08 AM

I met Chrissy Metz as well. She’s beautiful in person and so you hating homosexuals will know, the camera DOES add 400lbs!!!!

In real life, she’s the size of Goop!

by Anonymousreply 15March 18, 2023 9:22 AM

I met Tammy Faye Baker at the Clinique makeup counter in the old Broadway Dept. store in Newport Beach. I have a friend who I knew would love her autograph, and the only thing to write on was a Clinique card that was on the counter. Tammy giggled and said, How appropriate.

My friend framed it.

by Anonymousreply 16March 18, 2023 1:44 PM

I witnessed Uma Thurman being repeatedly bitched at by staff at a tourist site for using flash photography in an area where it wasn't allowed. Pretty funny, honestly. She did not care 😘

by Anonymousreply 17March 18, 2023 1:47 PM

[quote] We saw Bill Murray at the Cubs game, he looked grumpy.

My friend ended up next to Stephen King (the writer) at a baseball (MLB) game. My friend looked at S. King and King said something like: "DON'T!" Just a peremptory strike to say: Don't you dare fucking talk to or look at me!

by Anonymousreply 18March 18, 2023 4:57 PM

Lindsay Wagner asked me for directions to a bank. Claudia Christian reached over and lit my cigarette for me when my Zippo was out of lighter fluid.

by Anonymousreply 19March 18, 2023 5:10 PM

Jennifer Aniston buying wine at a liquor store. She asked my opinion on a bottle and chuckled when I said said my advice is anything but rosé. Then I recognised her and she raised a theatrical brow at my double take. She is (surprisingly, to me) strongly attractive in the flesh.

by Anonymousreply 20March 18, 2023 5:12 PM

Lol, R18! I imagine he looks as scary as his stories!

by Anonymousreply 21March 18, 2023 5:14 PM

My best (female) friend worked in the City of Portland parking division in the late 90s. She received a phone call, asking about a tour bus incorrectly parked. "Whose is it?" She was told it belonged to the Ricky Martin tour. "Tow it."

by Anonymousreply 22March 18, 2023 5:18 PM

I always thought the Bionic Woman was beautiful, and a great match for Steve Austin!

by Anonymousreply 23March 18, 2023 5:18 PM

In college, I worked as a barista, and Richard Dreyfuss came over and told me I made the best cappuccino he had ever had.

by Anonymousreply 24March 18, 2023 5:19 PM

I imagine most of these interactions were pre-COVID. Most big celebs don’t go out in public anymore.

by Anonymousreply 25March 18, 2023 5:22 PM

If OP is not the LL then the LL definitely gave him those 26 WWs.

by Anonymousreply 26March 18, 2023 5:23 PM

In an old gay bar sitting with college friends in a Midwest city one fellow, shaking his long hair and adopting the character, spouted one of Martha's vicious speeches from "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" apropos of the topic at hand.

We heard a loud laugh from another booth and, looking around, saw that Edward Albee was sitting there.

It was a perfect moment. We smiled and waved and went back to our conversation, because it was obvious the laugh was not an invitation for anything else.

by Anonymousreply 27March 18, 2023 5:23 PM

In retrospect, Lindsay Wagner pings. She was married 4 times (all men) and divorced 4 times.

by Anonymousreply 28March 18, 2023 5:24 PM

In Megève I cut off Inès de la Fressange skiing with ex It Girls Lou Doillon and Samar Seraqui de Buttafoco. Je te briserai ton putain de cou, shouted one of them. Fun!

by Anonymousreply 29March 18, 2023 5:35 PM

My husband stepped into the elevator headed down to the lobby at the old Ambassador East in Chicago to face, mirrored into infinity, Dolly Parton and her breasts, in town to film "A League of Their Own."

He said she was easy to talk to - nothing important but no diva drama, either.

by Anonymousreply 30March 18, 2023 6:11 PM

I did run into Cleo Laine (I repeat myself on the DL with this sort of thing, I know) after a performance once. It was summer, getting dark, I'd gone to the concert, loved it. She was standing on the street and apparently her husband had taken off for other work and her own car didn't show up. I asked her if she minded if I waited with her (the theater was in a rough area) and she thanked me. We talked, she was open and fun, and when the car finally arrived she called back to me by name and thanked me again.

She was WONDERFUL.

by Anonymousreply 31March 18, 2023 6:20 PM

Smoking pot with Don Grady ("My Three Sons") and having Sandy Duncan say she was off coke because she didn't want her nose to collapse the way Liza's did.

Both are true and were a lot of fun.

Less fun was seeing just how lonely and needy Debbie Reynolds was for company and understanding.

by Anonymousreply 32March 18, 2023 6:26 PM

About 15 years ago, my boyfriend at that time rented a limo and surprised me taking me to dinner at the Hotel Bel Air. Later, when the limo pulled up to the valet stand at the end of dinner, the valet agreed to take a couple pics of us standing by the limo. I know, I know, I can be tacky, but it was just about 30 seconds of picture taking so those behind us had to wait momentarily. As the valet handed me my camera I glanced back and saw the next customer waiting for the valet was Dolly Parton, literally tapping her tiny shoes with slight impatience yet smiling and waiting for us 2 hicks to take our pictures. I remember being so embarrassed about making her wait that I blurted out, "Sorry Miss Parton," and dove into the back seat.

by Anonymousreply 33March 18, 2023 6:29 PM

[quote] Less fun was seeing just how lonely and needy Debbie Reynolds was for company and understanding.

R32, can you elaborate? After Debbie & Carrie died, I read articles about how Debbie's house was such a great gathering place & how Debbie would "hold court." About Carrie's and Penny Marshall's yearly, joint birthday party being such a great party. Etc.

Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 34March 18, 2023 6:36 PM

That's lovely R31.

by Anonymousreply 35March 18, 2023 6:40 PM

My friend and I were stone at Ralph's in Malibu when were teenagers. We saw Pamala Anderson at the time and started low key trailing here. I accidentally knocked into her and I was like "I am sorry'. They she was like "I am sorry" and we kept going back and forth. She's very, very sweet.

I also ran into Diane Keaton on the day JFK Jr. died in BH, If you are from LA, the unstated rule is you never make a deal out of celeb. My friend was being an asshole and said I was a huge fan and wanted her autograph. She gave me her autograph and said "You are my idol - Love Diane". That kind of made my day.

The celebs that are kind and sweet, I never forget it. Jada has always been a nasty bitch even going way back.

by Anonymousreply 36March 18, 2023 6:58 PM

I was at a party that had luxury porte-potties and Niki Hilton was in front of me. I told her I had pee really badly and she let me cut in line and go in front of her. I was touched.

by Anonymousreply 37March 18, 2023 7:02 PM

My best friend (and roommate at the time) worked at The Coffee House on Sunset as a waiter. This was maybe 2002? 2003? One night Paris Hilton was there with her annoying crew. Someone in her crew left their phone at the table and somehow my friend ended up with it. Can't remember how or why.

At any rate, the owner of the phone called it the next day and she made plans to meet up with my friend to retrieve it. I happened to be with him when that exchange happened. The young woman was incredibly nice and sweet and grateful he'd found her phone and kept it safe for her. She wasn't famous yet, but she would be soon. It was the very sweet Kim Kardashian.

I am sure she's a monster now. But she wasn't then.

by Anonymousreply 38March 18, 2023 7:08 PM

Paris has always been nice.. Fun fact is that when I was in high school, The Coffee House on Sunset is where we used to buy coke from the valets who worked there. It's little locals secret.

by Anonymousreply 39March 18, 2023 7:11 PM

[quote] Jada has always been a nasty bitch even going way back.

R36, please - do tell!

Wendy Williams said that Kim Kardashian is very nice and polite, so I would believe she is.

by Anonymousreply 40March 18, 2023 7:15 PM

[quote]Who else have you ran into?

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 41March 18, 2023 7:16 PM

Tina Louise having her check rejected at Gelson's, and paying with 2 crumpled 20s. Left in an older Mercedes with the rear bashed in.

by Anonymousreply 42March 18, 2023 7:21 PM

[quote] I told her I had pee really badly

R37 On your clothes? or in a cup or something? Why did you have pee?

by Anonymousreply 43March 18, 2023 7:28 PM

I love Jessica Lange, I am so happy you got to see her, is she as stunning in person?

by Anonymousreply 44March 18, 2023 7:28 PM

Back in the early 90s I was standing in line at a deli on the UES. There was a fairly tall woman with long dark hair in front of me. What was she buying? Two packs of Marlboro Reds. When she turned around and exited the deli I nearly fainted. The woman was Jackie Onassis.

by Anonymousreply 45March 18, 2023 7:29 PM

Debbie Harry giving me the evil eye. In line at the 9th avenue Rite-Aid on Christmas Eve. …I had the nerve to turn around and bitch about the slow cashiers!

David Byrne on that same Chelsea corner. I was trying to exit a taxi in the pouring rain, and I saw a pair of wet shoes on the curb and then heard him say hurry up it’s raining..FU TALKING HEAD

by Anonymousreply 46March 18, 2023 7:29 PM

R5 I think I would have laughed, and is she old money?

by Anonymousreply 47March 18, 2023 7:30 PM

r45 I didn't think you could buy cigarettes with food stamps.

by Anonymousreply 48March 18, 2023 7:30 PM

[quote] Two packs of Marlboro Reds. When she turned around and exited the deli I nearly fainted. The woman was Jackie Onassis.

That's a good story? Box or soft pack?

by Anonymousreply 49March 18, 2023 7:36 PM

I sat next to Hayden Christensen on a flight. It took me a while to figure out who he was. He was very nice, and really handsome. He was in the window seat, I was in aisle. At one point he had to go to the restroom, and quite politely excused himself. We talked just briefly about a few random topics, but I never let on that I knew who he was.

by Anonymousreply 50March 18, 2023 7:36 PM

I once smiled and waved at Carol Kane when I passed her on the street. I didn’t immediately recognize her as Carol Kane (it had been a while since I’d seen any of her recent projects) and assumed I knew her from the school where I worked. She smiled back, so I hope I didn’t freak her out too much.

by Anonymousreply 51March 18, 2023 7:38 PM

[quote] On your clothes? or in a cup or something? Why did you have pee?

We were at a party and we were all drinking at Seth McFarland's house and he had those outdoor nice porte-potties to use. I was drunk.

by Anonymousreply 52March 18, 2023 7:41 PM

There is a lot of talk about Jessica Lange. She spends most of her time in Charlottesville, VA on a big farm (estate). My cousin was in the same class as her daughter who she had with Mikhail Borishnokav (sp?). I think her name is Alexnadra, but my cousin and her friends call her Shera (sp?). Sissy Spacek's kid was also in the same class as my cousin or a grade above below - Sky Fisk. They are all very, very low key. There are oddly a lot of A list celebs who live on the DL in VA. The kids/my cousin are all around 35/36. We are an LA family and I thought it was so odd that they were moving to VA only to realize that she had more A-list celeb spawn in her class than I did mine in CA.

by Anonymousreply 53March 18, 2023 7:47 PM

R52, you must give us more, please. You might be the closest I come to a real life celebrity. I told about my brush with Ray Liotta, he came into where I work and I was so busy trying to not treat him like a celebrity I ended up being an asshole. His wife was asking for a free sample (to taste an item before she bought it) and I inexplicable told her there was a limit to two free samples- which was 100% NOT true and I have no idea why I did it, I loved him. I was just trying to "treat him normal". He was lovely and so was she. I met Corey Haim and his crew stomping down the boardwalk, he also came in and was also really sweet, he smiled and put a finger to his lips (as if to say its a secret who I am- despite the entourage); and then in high school I saw Jerry Orbach and Lori Loughlin separately on the street- my friends yelled out to both- HEY- YOU'RE that GUY! (actually I think it was out of my sunroof)- they both smiled and waved. Thats it. Oh, and when I was a little kid I met Julio Iglesias in the elevator to Windows of the World. It was mothers day so we were taking my grandmother and he told my parents they should put me in child modeling, they laughed. I choose to believe it was not a joke.

by Anonymousreply 54March 18, 2023 7:48 PM

I saw Dr. Ruth in Princeton, NJ.....years ago, when I worked there. I took walks on my lunch hour. On a walk...I heard a very distinctive voice, and immediately knew who it was. She was walking with a young student. I stopped, looked at her...she stopped, said..."Lovely day." I said, "Yes it it. It's nice to meet you."....then continued my walk. I thought that was nice. Also, in Princeton...I saw Fran Lebowitz at a small health food store, near where I worked. We made quick eye contact, but she looked away. I knew she didn't want to be bothered, so I didn't say anything to her. I also saw her another time walking in town.

by Anonymousreply 55March 18, 2023 7:52 PM

I once saw the actress who plays Elizabeth in Keeping Up Appearances standing at a bus stop, while I passed by on a bus.

by Anonymousreply 56March 18, 2023 7:56 PM

Back in 2003 I smoked a cigarette with Lisa Stansfield outside a restaurant in Soho NYC. Photos don't do her justice - she's a strikingly pretty woman in person. She was very friendly, we had a nice chat.

by Anonymousreply 57March 18, 2023 8:01 PM

r20 a friend of mine met Jennifer Aniston and he said the same thing as you - she is gorgeous in person.

by Anonymousreply 58March 18, 2023 8:04 PM

I've told this story on here before I think but my husband ran the book signings at the book store he works at and he has a few tails to tell. On my birthday a few years ago he brought me to the one where Brooke Shields was and we had some time before to spend with her. She is absolutely stunning in person and couldn't be nicer. Actually she has a wicked sense of humor which I wasn't expecting.

His favorite was Anjelica Houston. They seriously bonded. A lot of times you have to baby sit these people(his Martha Stewart story validates everything they say about her. The. worst.). Anyway she was an absolute delight. They talked about politics, the environment, everything except her. He loved her. A fully formed interesting person is how he described her.

by Anonymousreply 59March 18, 2023 8:10 PM

A (middle aged lady) colleague of mine was at an airport years ago and was hot and bothered and thirsty and desperate for a soda from the machine. She had no change (days before the machines took cards) and was getting upset. Man nearby noticed and used his change to get her a soda. Rod Stewart. Allegedly tight but at least in this case kind too.

by Anonymousreply 60March 18, 2023 8:11 PM

R39, I definitely bought some of that coke too!

by Anonymousreply 61March 18, 2023 8:11 PM

I saw Ed Begley Jr. walking in Manhattan back in the 80s.

by Anonymousreply 62March 18, 2023 8:14 PM

R62 That certainly sounds like a "fun interaction."

by Anonymousreply 63March 18, 2023 8:17 PM

My friend met Meryl Streep, Baranski and Ullman while waiting on them at a ritzy bar when they were in England making Into The Woods. Said they were all lovely, left a bit drunk and gave a generous tip

by Anonymousreply 64March 18, 2023 8:28 PM

I ran into Schlitzie at 7-Eleven in Newark one afternoon. Told her she was prettier than Madonna. She looked at me and farted at the same time. I made a b-line for the checkout!

by Anonymousreply 65March 18, 2023 8:39 PM

Great story r57... an honest question - could you understand a word she said? The time I met her (this was when her album "Seven" came out) she was charming but spoke so quickly in such a heavy Northern dialect that I really had a hard time understanding.

by Anonymousreply 66March 18, 2023 8:43 PM

Gregory Harrison and I cruised each other in a bookstore attached to the hotel he was staying at in DC. I wish I'd had the nerve to actually speak to him. Maybe we'd have gone up to his hotel room and fucked. It was in the mid-eighties, at a time when I was afraid to go home with anyone. Nah...I was just too shy. I'm a guy, btw.

by Anonymousreply 67March 18, 2023 8:45 PM

R67 look at what you could have been taking a ride on!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68March 18, 2023 8:50 PM

Passed Andy Warhol in Union Square and he asked, “Would you like a free copy of Interview magazine?” I said yes and he handed me one.

by Anonymousreply 69March 18, 2023 8:55 PM

Great story r65

by Anonymousreply 70March 18, 2023 8:56 PM

r66 I could understand her just fine, and I'm American. I have a thing for easily understanding even the thickest UK accents. She was lovely, very gracious. She told me she had just arrived in NYC from Ireland, and she had an apartment in the neighborhood. And again, she was strikingly pretty in person.

by Anonymousreply 71March 18, 2023 9:05 PM

Schlitzie forever!

by Anonymousreply 72March 18, 2023 9:09 PM

R53, Baryshnikov. Aleksandra. Shura.

by Anonymousreply 73March 18, 2023 9:14 PM

My brother and a couple of his cute teen friends were in Kansas City in the early 1980's.

They were in a hotel and pressed the down button on the elevator.....when the elevator stopped and they got on - they realized they were in the elevator with The Bee Gees.

On the way down, the Bee Gees kept talking about what cute butts the boys had and how they wanted to shag them.......when they got to the lobby floor - my brother and his friends called them "Fags!" and ran out the door.

by Anonymousreply 74March 18, 2023 9:58 PM

A LOT of embellishment in this thread.

by Anonymousreply 75March 18, 2023 10:03 PM

The summer of 2019 I was in Greensboro SC for work and I step on the elevator first thing in morning as I’m checking out to go down and get coffee and start my day. The elevator doors open and who is it but 2020 Democratic candidate Pete Buttigieg with a few aides. I’m completely star struck. I shook his hand. Wished him luck and then became my sister and her family live in South Bend ask him if he knew them. LOL. He said I think so. He’s good looking in person I missed getting a picture. I was an idiot. LOL

by Anonymousreply 76March 18, 2023 10:11 PM

"then became my sister and her family live in South Bend"

by Anonymousreply 77March 18, 2023 10:45 PM

I bumped into Tony Hawk's shoulder and he said sorry and I just glared at him. He's really tiny.

by Anonymousreply 78March 18, 2023 10:49 PM

OP, I had a very similar interaction with Denzel Washington in Burbank back in 1990. He was so friendly.

by Anonymousreply 79March 18, 2023 10:50 PM

In high school I saw John Denver walking across a parking lot and I yelled out “hi John!” and waved my hand over my head. He big waved back and yelled hi. He seemed very friendly. Not bothered or annoyed.

by Anonymousreply 80March 18, 2023 10:51 PM

R78 Tony Hawk the skateboarder? He's over 6' tall.

by Anonymousreply 81March 18, 2023 10:51 PM

R80 I do think he was nice, and never seemed to get bitter, even though Charlie Rich lit his country music award on fire.

by Anonymousreply 82March 18, 2023 10:52 PM

R81 He's tiny - he has bird bones. A tall bird skeleton, pencils sticking out of a green bean.

by Anonymousreply 83March 18, 2023 10:52 PM

I sat next to Ed Begley Jr. in church. His sister in law is a fellow congregant.

by Anonymousreply 84March 18, 2023 10:59 PM

I served Anthony Hopkins many times. I just loved him. And his lovely wife. He made you feel so special.

I was shocked to hear he was estranged from his kid. He seemed so paternal.

by Anonymousreply 85March 18, 2023 11:38 PM

The term "celebrity" is in the eye of the beholder in this case, but I've been privileged, in addition to the stories which lend me my username, to wind up on a first-name basis with most of the film cast of [italic]Jesus Christ Superstar[/italic]. I manage a website devoted to the show, and in my day job I produce the kind of stuff that lends itself well to character parts for veteran performers, and the combo of the two has put me in a position to be around them a lot, though largely at the reunion screenings they've been doing for the past ten years.

By and large, they're a genuine bunch. Of those now departed, Barry Dennen was a delightful, mischievous old fella, and Carl Anderson -- who I saw live on his last go-round as Judas before he died -- was about as full of life as anyone could ever be. The living performers are all pretty uniformly wonderful too. Ted Neeley is probably the most attentive and cool with the fans after decades of touring in the title role (and being mistaken for the genuine article by more and more succeeding generations of women), but the others are also genial and in awe that the project has continued to catch on with people everywhere at the level it has.

I was also felt up by a former Miss America (by default) at a business meeting. For some, that would be fun. (And she was genuinely beautiful in person, though she didn't resemble herself in her heyday one bit. Kind of ironic she manages the medical office for a plastic surgery specialist now...)

by Anonymousreply 86March 18, 2023 11:40 PM

I've told this before here, but I'll tell it again, because I think it's funny. I was working by myself at a video rental place in Cincinnati and this guy with a full face of makeup came in and nodded at me. I thought, "wow, this guy is weird". He was followed by two big men. He picked out a bunch of really tacky horror movies and came up to the counter. I asked for an ID and the two men laughed and he said, "I'm Alice Cooper"! I still made him show his ID and all I could talk to him about was that I was also from Arizona. I knew absolutely nothing about his music - in fact I only really knew him from a cartoon in "Mad Magazine". Everybody else that worked there was really jealous of me.

by Anonymousreply 87March 18, 2023 11:50 PM

R34, I understood, too, that Miss Reynolds liked to hold court at home, but the time I mentioned was when she was on the road. She invited people to her hotel suite, was charming and a riot, but it was a little hard to get away. Since it became a nightly thing, the mood started to sink a little. It just felt sad and some people had other things to do. And while always convivial she did "hold court" and needed to be looked at and enjoyed.

I mean nothing except an acknowledgement that her own needs, after working hard with ups and downs through her career, seemed to be "show bizzed" and deferred, or she was so Hollywood that there always was a wobble in things. I did very much like and enjoy her, professionally as well. And her work for saving so many important film costumes made her a saint to me.

But vibes are vibes.

by Anonymousreply 88March 19, 2023 12:06 AM

Nipsy Russell stole a gallon of milk out of my grocery cart one time

by Anonymousreply 89March 19, 2023 12:12 AM

John-John smiled at me as he was drying his hands and I was entering the men's room at the Tombs, a bar on the Georgetown U. campus. Kinda like, "Yeah, it's me." This was in 1981.

by Anonymousreply 90March 19, 2023 12:15 AM

I’m naked

by Anonymousreply 91March 19, 2023 12:17 AM

I saw JFK Jr. on the street in NY on three occasions in the mid-late 90s. He looked exactly the same in person as he did in photos - absolutely GORGEOUS. One of the most beautiful men I have ever seen. Even if he hadn't been famous and was just some anonymous guy, he still would've turned heads and people would ask "who is that guy?"

by Anonymousreply 92March 19, 2023 12:18 AM

My favorite celebrity interactions are the ones where I don’t recognize them right away, have a normal conversation with them and then it clicks who they are.

More often than not, the celebrities I have met are very nice. It’s their assistants/hangers on who are more likely to be dickheads.

I’m trying to think of a funny/nice interaction. One time I was having dessert with a friend at Sweet Lady Jane and Janice Dickinson walked in being all loud and theatrical and totally being “Janice Dickinson.” She ordered a cupcake and had cupcake frosting all over her mouth and yelled for the cashier to bring her a glass of milk. I felt like I was watching television

by Anonymousreply 93March 19, 2023 12:22 AM

[quote]My husband stepped into the elevator headed down to the lobby at the old Ambassador East in Chicago to face, mirrored into infinity, Dolly Parton and her breasts, in town to film "A League of Their Own."

R30 Dolly was in A League of Their Own? I don't remember her in that movie...

by Anonymousreply 94March 19, 2023 12:34 AM

Not me, but a friend. Years and years ago she was working the outside box office at an old movie house at the opening show.

Two people walked up and asked if the movie was any good. She said no and told them why (She is brilliant and odd, and they laughed engaged her. They both had accents and she realized it was Nureyev and Margot Fonteyn. They were in town She was thrilled and asked if they wanted her to sneak them in. They roared and she took them in and had them set up with popcorn and Cokes. When the movie let out my friend was there for the next show (It was a very slow, cold and windy day.). Nureyev and Fonteyn went to the box office and said they'd return the favor and "sneak her in" to the theater where they were dancing. They took her name and had two tickets waiting for her.

She took it in stride. As she did when she struck up a nodding acquaintanceship with Dr. Masters of Masters and Johnson because she'd cut through their office building on the way to work (a later job) and kept seeing him. He hit on her, she demurred and decided to drop the shortcut because she liked Virginia Johnson, who was his wife by then.

by Anonymousreply 95March 19, 2023 12:35 AM

Stealing Dan Abrams underwear and wallowing in them for hours and hours

In my mind…

by Anonymousreply 96March 19, 2023 12:38 AM

A female friend danced with Nureyev at a club / disco (early '80s, maybe?). I think he asked her to dance. I asked my friend, how was he (as a club dancer)? She said he was really good.

by Anonymousreply 97March 19, 2023 12:41 AM

I was a teen slut about to blow one of those horsehung Auchincloss boys in a changing booth on Bailey's Beach, 1970s, when he invited his buddy in to share. Despite the gloom I recognised JFK Jr. But I didn't look them in the eyes when I slobbed their knobs because John said it would be gay if I did.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98March 19, 2023 12:42 AM

[quote] She wasn't famous yet, but she would be soon. It was the very sweet Kim Kardashian.

All of them were very down to earth and sweet when I encounter them. I helped decorate the Jenners house for Christmas in 98 or 99 and all three girls and I talked about Marilyn Monroe for a half hour in the foyer and could have for longer had my boss not broken it up. Kris was just as sweet, making sure we had enough to drink and eat and to take breaks.

by Anonymousreply 99March 19, 2023 12:52 AM

Men's room Catch One. Keanu getting up next to me at urinal whipping it out checking me checking him and giving me a wink and a smile. Been dining out on this for 38 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100March 19, 2023 12:56 AM

An easy one—a few days before Christmas I came up to the checkout at F.A.O. Schwartz with one or two items. Sam Waterston was last in line with a basketful and said I should go ahead of him.

JFK Jr.—more complicated. Many years ago I am heading to my local laundromat with a full laundry bag on a rainy summer night when I pass the NYU law school. There standing under the overhang is someone so handsome I am staring. Realizing he is being watched, he turns his head and gives me a friendly smile (nothing more). It is at that exact moment that I realize who he is and, though I am usually cool seeing celebrities, this was so unexpected I am sure my face completely registered shock. He immediately looked away. All I could think was simultaneously so handsome—and the little boy saluting his father’s coffin.

by Anonymousreply 101March 19, 2023 1:10 AM

I was at DFW (Dallas Forth Worth) airport, changing planes. Jon Voight, the actor, was waiting for another flight, standing in the first class boarding line. He seemed tall. His hair was groomed. He had on a gray suit. He looked like he was alone. He also was looking around the airport with a bit of a smile on his face. I thought that he'd probably be friendly if someone (a fan) went up to him and said hello, I enjoyed Midnight Cowboy or whatever.

by Anonymousreply 102March 19, 2023 1:13 AM

R94 You are entirely right, my bad: it's been so many years. Dolly was there filming a movie called "Straight Talk" with James Woods. Who was also staying there and who I saw once in front of me in line at the front desk. He's very short.

Madonna and Rosie O'Donnell were also staying there at the same time filming "A League of Their Own."

by Anonymousreply 103March 19, 2023 2:21 PM

To those who saw JFK, Jr., how tall was he? He was listed as 6’1”, but, to my eyes, that seemed inflated.

by Anonymousreply 104March 19, 2023 2:55 PM

I'm not good with dimensions, r104. I just know he was somewhat taller than me, and I'm 5'7".

by Anonymousreply 105March 19, 2023 2:59 PM

And you alway complain that your threads don't ever go anywhere, OP.

by Anonymousreply 106March 19, 2023 3:06 PM

Thanks, R105. Your perspective suggest he wasn’t even 6’.

by Anonymousreply 107March 19, 2023 3:23 PM

Of course DL's patron saint, JFK Jr., shows up!

by Anonymousreply 108March 19, 2023 3:24 PM

How big was it, R100?

by Anonymousreply 109March 19, 2023 3:32 PM

I was walking down a sidewalk in New York in the early 90s, and coming toward me was an actor I recognized but whose name I couldn't think of. We both continued walking toward each other and he smiled when I said like an idiot "I know you! You're - you're" but the name wouldn't come. As he passed me he turned to walk backwards and said "Come on, come on, you can do it!" I turned and walked backwards, facing him, and as we got about 4 feet apart I remembered and and screamed, pointing: "Andrew McCarthy!" He laughed and threw his hands up like I had just scored a goal. Then he turned and kept walking, and never once broke his stride.

by Anonymousreply 110March 19, 2023 3:33 PM

[quote] She wasn't famous yet, but she would be soon. It was the very sweet Kim Kardashian.

I can confirm this as well. Kim was part of my boyfriend's extended friend circle before she became famous and she was always very sweet (that's a good adjective for her). She was a stylist and luxury closet organizer at the time. TBF, I have never really heard accounts on KK being mean or a bitch to anyone, even today. Back in the day she lived in a (modest/yet not that modest) condo that backed the Robertson shopping district. Not a fan of the Kardashians, but she was very nice. Pre surgery, Kim was cute but I wouldn't have guessed she would be considered sexy. That was Paris back then.

by Anonymousreply 111March 19, 2023 3:33 PM

In the 80s, I entered an elevator at the same time as John Kennedy, Jr. We were leaving an event in NYC at the same time. Broderick Crawford in the 70s in front of Buckingham Palace. Randy (Cowboy) from the Village People, cruising me in a restaurant in the West Village. Jim Palmer in the early 80s, cruising me in Penn Station. Soap actor George Reinholdt in the 70s IN FULL LEATHER not cruising me in 30th St. Station, Philadelphia. In Manhattan: Tom Brokaw getting into a cab in mid-town. Celeste Holm and her husband getting out of a cab. Betty Comden and Adolph Green in a restaurant in the theater district. Dan Rather having a drink before an opera began at the Met. Sam Champion on his bicycle cruising me in mid-town west. Many sightings of soap actors and porn stars in Manhattan. Sex with George Maharis in a notorious sex club in the West Village. All happy memories.

by Anonymousreply 112March 19, 2023 3:42 PM

Burgess Meredith, shitfaced, outdoors at the NYC St Patrick's Parade.

He was tiny and bumped into me on the crowded street but he was extremely (drunk) polite and apologized far in excess of what the bump deserved.

by Anonymousreply 113March 19, 2023 4:09 PM

Small dinner party at Jonathan "Barnabas Collins" Frid's Village apartment circa 1991.

by Anonymousreply 114March 19, 2023 4:14 PM

Speaking NYU Law, my friend was using the ladies room and when the person in the next stall came out to the sink it was Jacky On Assistance. She must have been visiting her son, whom I saw many times.

by Anonymousreply 115March 19, 2023 4:37 PM

Served Robert Duvall ice cream when I was in high school in the '80s. He smiled and was polite and reserved, no trace of movie star ego.

I ran into Robert Duvall on several other occasions. One time I was at a popular restaurant with my BF. The woman sitting at the next table came up to us and was freaking out. She said "the lawyer from the Godfather is here and those stupid kids won't give him a table!!" Apparently she went to the host's station and told the young hosts that Duvall was an icon and he deserved a seat stat. The dopy kids still didn't give his party a seat and after waiting for about 15 - 20 minutes they left. After we left the restaurant we walked by a brewpub and saw Duvall and his party sitting at a booth inside. He is, apparently, quite humble.

by Anonymousreply 116March 19, 2023 4:46 PM

I was at a urinal next to Jake Gyllenhall at Chateau Marmont. Yes I looked and no, he wasn't huge but maybe he's a grower.

by Anonymousreply 117March 19, 2023 4:49 PM

"I was at a urinal next to_____"- fill in the blank with your favorite fantasy.

JFK Jr?

by Anonymousreply 118March 19, 2023 4:54 PM

Two encounters with Jonathan Frid in the early 80s -- one in a gay porn shop that was actually somebody's apartment in the East Village, and the other on the far West Side in which he was coming out of a huge fog -- it was like a scene from Dark Shadows! And, yes, he cruised me. Heavily.

by Anonymousreply 119March 19, 2023 4:56 PM

My parents were at a small dinner party held by a prominent pediatric surgeon who was doing some really important work and Michael Jackson attended. I swear to god, my dad said he left to play up in their 10 year old child's nursery while the adults carried on with dinner. My dad said the whole situation was "bizarre".

by Anonymousreply 120March 19, 2023 5:00 PM

2 fun encounters I recall, both when I owned my store...

1. Cybill Shepherd came in at Christmas time, she was filming a movie in my city and stopped in on a Saturday a few weeks before Christmas. I think she had a few martinis for lunch in the restaurant next door, because she was a bit tipsy. She was buying a few gifts for different celebrities, and Oprah's name came up. She told me everyone in Hollywood hated Oprah - but they all kissed her ass so she would invite them on her show to promote their movie / TV show / book / album. (At the time she had the #1 talk show in America).

2. Rob Schneider - this had to be around 2002. Schneider's girlfriend was in town for a 'weeklong business conference' for the week, and he had joined her but stayed behind at a nearby hotel while she did her business stuff. Each day he would come to my store and spend time browsing and shopping a little (he struck me as a very curious guy about different products I sold). At first I didn't know who he was though he looked familiar (I thought he was an out of town visitor who was in my store in the past). I was also a little 'flirty' with him because he was a very cute guy and had a sexy way about him. Interesting enough, he was flirty back with me. One day, he gave me his credit card and that's when I paid attention to his name and 'welcomed' him, telling him how much I enjoyed him on SNL. He told me he was starting a new project called 'White Chicks'. That's when he told me why he was in town - his girlfriend's conference, and was left behind in the city by himself. (He was buying things for her that he'd give her at night when she came back to the hotel). He mentioned that he was going to different restaurants by himself each night for dinner, and asked for other recommendations.

At one point (I think it was his third day in) I told him that if he didn't want to eat alone, he was more than welcome to join me and my two friends that Thursday night - we always had dinner on Thursday nights. Usually Italian or seafood, some place good. I even offered to pick him up at the hotel, and promised I wouldn't tell my friends I was brining him - it would be a surprise. (Schneider, myself and my two friends were all the same age - my two friends are so easy to like and get alone with). He said fine - he'd think about it, and I gave him my business card with my store phone number.

Well, that Thursday, both friends had to cancel for dinner. One had his daughter's dance recital, the other had a birthday party to go to. I never told them about Schneider. Sure enough, Schneider called me and said he was "in" - he wanted to have dinner with both my friends and me. I told him we had canceled for the night and it wasn't going to happen. He sounded surprised and disappointed. He then mentioned just the two of us going out to dinner and STUPID me got very nervous and told him 'no, I don't think it's a good idea'. He said ok, and hung up - and never came back into the store the remainder of the week. When I think of it now, I should have had that dinner with him. I figured he was straight - but who knows ? (In the end, he sent me an autographed photo of himself and wrote a 'thank you for your kindness' above his signature, which I framed and hung in my store). He really was a nice guy.

by Anonymousreply 121March 19, 2023 5:14 PM

R58 I met Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt outside a WeHo restaurant years ago, just before they were married. They were both incredibly nice and charming, and yes, I distinctly remember what stunningly beautiful skin Jennifer Aniston had.

by Anonymousreply 122March 19, 2023 5:19 PM

I am what DL would call a “flyover gay” but I have celebrity encounters almost every time I visit NYC or Los Angeles. I’ve relayed several of them here over the years. I guess my most recent one was 2019, rushing through the crowd in Times Square to get to Hadestown, and I almost crashed right into Lucy Liu. As we passed, I yelled out “Sorry, Lucy Liu! You look fantastic!” and she yelled over her shoulder “Thanks, baby!”

At Hadestown intermission, I was standing so close to Jane Krakowski that I just had to say something. I normally never speak to celebs, but I figured, why not. She was gracious, and I started to mention that I had literally ran into her Ally McBeal costar earlier that evening, but I figured that would be pushing it.

by Anonymousreply 123March 19, 2023 5:26 PM

R57, I love Lisa Stansfield. Her voice is so soulful.

by Anonymousreply 124March 19, 2023 5:31 PM

I wonder if r121 was also an actor? If so, we missed you when you were unfairly written off!

by Anonymousreply 125March 19, 2023 5:33 PM

I've adored Parker Posey since Party Girl days. I was hanging out with friends at Q Bar in the Castro and she was there with the people from that Drunk History show which I think was filming in SF at the time. One of our group was friends with her, and he introduced me to her. I told her my fave movie of hers was House of Yes, which, I think, surprised her. I can't believe how starstruck I felt! She was funny, and nice, and gave me a hug and a pinch on my butt a little later as she was departing the bar. The next week I went on a Parker Posey movie-watching binge, haha.

by Anonymousreply 126March 19, 2023 5:46 PM

This sounds so cliche, but . . . Diane Keaton snatching up vintage anything at the Pasadena swap Meet, c. 1993. Maybe I shouldn't say anything; she has excellent taste. But the rapidity of it!

Fabio at Gold Gym Hollywood, many times, alway by himself, very quiet. This was shortly after the Northridge earthquake when Bally's had to close for six months due to repair issues and all members were transferred over to Golds. it was a good promo pitch for them. After Bally's re-opened I stayed at Gold's for another year as a paying member.

I've told this one before so Ill kept it brief. 1998. Louise Lasser at LAX boarding a flight to JFK. Me too. Six hours later we are both baggage claim JFK and I decided to go for it. We had a nice chat; she was lovely and a bit spacey.. It felt right to ask "Hey, would you want to share a cab into the city?" and she said "No, no, I've got a town car waiting outside. Why don't you come with me?"

Now I'm one-on-one in a town car with Louise Lasser for a good fourty-five minutes. With me and celebs, at times I can get too gushy and it's a fail. But not this time. Figuring she'd heard it all before, I did not even mention Mary Hartman until we were going over the 59th Street bridge. Then she did the nicest thing possible in that moment. The driver dropped her off at her building somewhere in Yorkville. Then she said to him '"Take him to wherever he's staying." which was the West Village.

I live in NYC now but back then I did not. What a memorable way to make an entrance!

by Anonymousreply 127March 19, 2023 5:49 PM

R127 Wow. What a great story! And what a lovely woman!

by Anonymousreply 128March 19, 2023 5:50 PM

R114 Envious of this one! I was very much a Dark Shadows/Barnabus Collins fan, still am.

by Anonymousreply 129March 19, 2023 5:55 PM

R127 does she have a Choo-Choo train in her attic?! 🚂 😢

by Anonymousreply 130March 19, 2023 5:56 PM

In 2000, when I was doing the AIDS Ride from SF to LA, on the first night in camp, I was waiting at the port-a-potties, and Meg Foster emerged from one. I recognized her right away with those piercing blue eyes. She smiled and laughed and said, "You might wanna wait a minute before you go in there." I said, "Thanks for the heads up, Cagney!" Then she walked up to me and smiled and gave me a playful little punch in my right arm.

On that same ride, one day, I was sitting outside the massage tent waiting for my appointment, and across from me was Charles Perez, not exactly a celebrity. He was a newscaster, and at the time, his biggest claim to fame was being featured on the first season of The Real World as Norm's boyfriend. He sat there with his head down and his cap pulled over him like he was afraid he would be "recognized." I just sat there rolling my eyes. Nobody even knew who the hell he was.

by Anonymousreply 131March 19, 2023 5:57 PM

R121, great story about Rob Schneider! What kind of store did you have?

Yes, you should have had dinner with Rob Schneider that night! I thought you were going to say that he showed up, your 2 friends weren't there, and you were embarrassed that he thought your "2 friends" never existed. (And it was all a set-up for a one-on-one.)

by Anonymousreply 132March 19, 2023 6:16 PM

Natasha Lyonne asked me for some change back in Tompkins Square Park in like 2002 or 2003. I saw her again at Boxcar Lounge a few months later pulling the same shit.

Tony Ward hit on me at a New Year's Day party in LA (I'm a guy). I wasn't single (my bf was there) otherwise I so woulda been on that.

by Anonymousreply 133March 19, 2023 6:19 PM

I'm not sure if this counts but about ten years ago I was at a horror convention. Lance Henriksen was there signing autographs and taking pictures. I didn't have enough money to actually stand in line but tried to take a photo from the side. He immediately stopped what he was doing, came over gave me a hug, and had somebody else in his camp take a picture with me and my boyfriend. He was incredibly kind to do that. I told him I watched Pumpkinhead regularly on Halloween as a kid in which he laughed and said, "Usually people bring up Aliens." I still have the photo. I also met the great George Romero shortly before he passed and he jokingly said, "If I met you 40 years ago I would have put you in one of my pictures." I also have that photo as well. In my experience actors and directors from horror films are some of the nicest people in the business.

by Anonymousreply 134March 19, 2023 6:19 PM

I met multiple Kennedys—my law firm represented the JKO estate in the sale of her apartment, and the estate of JFK Jr..

Caroline was zombie-like in her ability to pretend there was nothing going on around her. If you weren’t one of the attorneys working with her, you did not exist.

John Jr. I met once as he was leaving the office, and I was going to a lower floor. No eye contact, but he looked and smelled ideal(!), as he like to ride his bike around town.

by Anonymousreply 135March 19, 2023 6:24 PM

R135 I’ve met Caroline twice and both times she was exactly as you described. Cold, terse and aloof.

by Anonymousreply 136March 19, 2023 6:27 PM

At that level, it’s a skill 🤷🏻‍♂️

by Anonymousreply 137March 19, 2023 6:29 PM

R121 You dodged a bullet with Schneider. He's a full on MAGA moron.

by Anonymousreply 138March 19, 2023 6:37 PM

Or…the closet makes you crazy?

by Anonymousreply 139March 19, 2023 6:46 PM

Either Caroline is really a stereotypic cold, terse, and aloof east coast patrician type or she's somewhere on the autism continuum. She looked supremely stiff and uncomfortable during her ill-advised Senate run, you know?

by Anonymousreply 140March 19, 2023 6:55 PM

Maybe she's just kind of dumb. JFK Jr. was also not super smart.

by Anonymousreply 141March 19, 2023 7:06 PM

Late weeknight in 1989 I passed JFK Jr. seated alone on a bench eating ice cream in front of a cafe/gelato place on W4th near Perry. I recall he was either wearing a biking helmet, or it was placed on the bench - his bike was beside him. To say that he was breathtaking would be an understatement.

by Anonymousreply 142March 19, 2023 7:25 PM

No, It’s not the lack of smarts…she’s Columbia Law. I think it was the family defense mechanism…but she lacked the star power of her sibling to deflect that coldness.

Trust me…I saw more than one example, during the estate process, of a Kennedy showing a heart of pure, rock hard, coal when it was called for.

by Anonymousreply 143March 19, 2023 7:26 PM

I think some got confused and posted their boring celeb interactions on this thread, the "fun" one.

by Anonymousreply 144March 19, 2023 7:34 PM

I've told this story before, but here it is again-

Sitting at a table in a crowded ice cream parlor with my friend, her female friend, and then Ted Danson walks in, and I'm like 'oh fuck'.

He walks up to the table and says 'Hi Felicia!' and then turns to me and says 'so you're ----- -----!" -and laughed and sat down. I spend about the next hour answering questions about the project I was working on at that time. It had been in the media a lot including the major outlets. The two ladies completely ignore us two, busy chattering their gossip.

F. and her friend (TDs companion) had at that time been friends for years and F had said ahead of time ----- ----- (me) is going to be there.

by Anonymousreply 145March 19, 2023 7:47 PM

R144. No confusion, on our part.

by Anonymousreply 146March 19, 2023 7:58 PM

No interaction by me, but the lady who took care of my Mom, was babysat by a 13-year-old Elvis Presley (he needed the money, and went to the same church as her) when she was a little girl.

by Anonymousreply 147March 19, 2023 8:10 PM

"fourty-five minutes"

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 148March 19, 2023 8:12 PM

R147 he probably diddled her

by Anonymousreply 149March 19, 2023 8:12 PM

R138 He is? I never knew that. I really haven't followed him or his career (and never saw 'White Chicks'). He was adorable , very charming, and sexy! I wish I did have the one-on-one dinner with him.

by Anonymousreply 150March 19, 2023 8:21 PM

Most of my celebrity interactions have been with people from [italic]Buffy the Vampire Slayer[/italic] and later [italic]Angel[/italic], as I used to attend an annual fan party for the show(s) that had started in the first's premiere season, and thus had loyal attendance by much of the cast and crew. Everyone has always been really nice and friendly, but my particular favorite was Andy Hallett, a complete sweetheart. One year I cracked him up by thanking him for helping to make [italic]Angel[italic] the gayest show on television, and he ribbed me about having drunk enough to be unsteady (I was teetotalling, but I am rather clumsy on my feet). At another I got Andy to squeal with delight when I revealed that the briefcase I was carrying was filled with 11x17 enlargements of a photo from James Marsters' high school production of [italic]Pippin[/italic], complete with the giant Afro perm he wore at the time!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 151March 19, 2023 8:32 PM

Henry Winkler (tiny) was gracious my friends and I recognized him in the theater district.

I almost was shoved into Stevie Wonder at LAX--it was that section of the United terminal where you go from a cul de sac of gates to a more narrow passage. Back in DC at Dulles, I was on the skybus to the terminal and in walks another blind singer, Ray Charles, looking exhausted and with a burley looking assistant (Ray was a big man, too). He seemed too tired for me to approach.

John Cougar in a Kroger in Bloomington, IN. He was out of place (it was the faculty Kroger, not the townie one), although his clothes were too expensive to be really working class. He seemed to want to be recognized, so I didn't bother.

by Anonymousreply 152March 19, 2023 8:37 PM

In the early 90s I was at some promotional party (friend did PR). I ended up bonding with a very high David Lee Roth. This was at the time he became an NYFD EMT.

I have a dry sense of humor and every little thing I said had him howling. At one point he stopped to explain that he’d smoked a whole lot of weed. I gave him a blank look and was like, no duh. And that set him off in another fit of uncontrollable laughter.

A great guy.

by Anonymousreply 153March 19, 2023 9:12 PM

R153 Did you get the sense he's gay? That's long been the rumor.

by Anonymousreply 154March 19, 2023 9:20 PM

My sister worked with his father and thought he and the fater were assholes.

by Anonymousreply 155March 19, 2023 9:38 PM

R155 Who are you talking about?

by Anonymousreply 156March 19, 2023 9:39 PM

David Lee Roth, you cunt.

by Anonymousreply 157March 19, 2023 9:50 PM

R157 Idiot

by Anonymousreply 158March 19, 2023 9:58 PM

I’m not one to acknowledge celebrities in my presence, but I made an exception when, as a 24-year old I, along with a fellow intern, entered an elevator already inhabited by another person. That person was Rosa Parks. My fellow intern didn’t recognize her, but I gushed at the sight of her. She seemed genuinely touched that this white kid knew who she was.

by Anonymousreply 159March 19, 2023 10:03 PM

R149 😂😂,.I was reading this thread out loud to my son, and he said exactly what you said, at the same time you posted. We were cracking up.

by Anonymousreply 160March 19, 2023 11:03 PM

Sometime in the late 90s at SFO, partner and I were returning home from a long trip, probably flying home from Paris on United, probably looking exhausted. After customs, for some reason we ended up riding on a people mover, each standing with backpacks and carry-ons, facing the domestic departures area. My partner said, "hey, look who it is!". Sitting alone on a bench of seats facing the people mover was a tall, lanky, Chris Issac, past the peak of his career. He was manspreading his legs, dressed in black, with his thick hair slicked back and wearing a thick coat of foundation (I noticed he was heavily pockmarked). He was looking like an exaggerated caricature of himself, and seemed like he wanted to be recognized, which we did. As we passed by him on the people mover, he said, "Welcome home, boys" and smiled, then looked away. I looked back and yelled "thanks, Chris!". He turned his head back and waved. He lived in SF at the time and was seated in the boarding area where there are lots of United flights to SoCal airports.

by Anonymousreply 161March 19, 2023 11:06 PM

Such a good story, op.

by Anonymousreply 162March 19, 2023 11:18 PM

Isaak, R161.

by Anonymousreply 163March 19, 2023 11:26 PM

R157 struggles with English.

by Anonymousreply 164March 19, 2023 11:47 PM

R159, Rosa is a legend.

by Anonymousreply 165March 20, 2023 2:14 AM

R161, you're nuts or that people mover was moving very fast. Chris Isaak doesn't have pock-marked skin. I've met him numerous times. He's finally aging, but has been hot for decades.

And he certainly isn't past his prime. He only really had one hit single, and is an album guy. Chris plays respectable size places. I've seen him at the Greek Theater in the last year.

Always put on a great show.

by Anonymousreply 166March 20, 2023 3:56 AM

r166, in the few seconds I saw him, his face looked a bit rough and he was clearly wearing base makeup. I agree that he's handsome and is probably a great guy; he dated Margaret Cho, after all. In the 80's, he lived way out in the Avenues and surfed at Ocean Beach. I saw him once in '86 or '87 at an uber-straight hole in the wall club on Haight Street, where he was a fixture until he made it big.

Thanks for the update - I'm glad he's doing well. It was cool that he caught us staring at him, noticed that we were exhausted young gay couple returning to SF, and greeted us.

by Anonymousreply 167March 20, 2023 4:50 AM

How young can you be if you saw Isaak in 1987?

by Anonymousreply 168March 20, 2023 5:46 AM

Didn't say I'm young now - far from it! Was 24 or 25-ish in 1987. Obviously, was significantly older in the late 90s when I saw him at the airport, but he's still maybe 5 or 6 years older than me. Fuck. Time flies.

by Anonymousreply 169March 20, 2023 6:04 AM

I saw Jimmy Somerville riding his bike on Hampstead Heath. He checked me out and then sucked my cock. That was fun.

by Anonymousreply 170March 20, 2023 8:50 AM

I was in line behind one of the Backstreet Boys at an airport McDonald’s and he asked me if 20 was too many nuggets.

by Anonymousreply 171March 20, 2023 9:10 AM

[quote] I also ran into Diane Keaton on the day JFK Jr. died in BH

JFK Jr. did not die in Beverly Hills. He died off the coast of Martha's Vineyard.

by Anonymousreply 172March 20, 2023 9:19 AM

[quote] JFK Jr. did not die in Beverly Hills. He died off the coast of Martha's Vineyard.

But didn't his father die there?

by Anonymousreply 173March 20, 2023 10:55 AM

My partner, and I walked by Johnny Depp in the West Village about 10 years ago. I didn’t notice him, but my partner said “that was Johnny Depp” after he had passed us. I said, what did he look like and my partner replied “a waiter at a Mexican restaurant.””

by Anonymousreply 174March 20, 2023 11:43 AM

Years ago, I encountered Faye Dunaway in NYC. Stunning doesn't begin to describe how beautiful she was in person.

by Anonymousreply 175March 20, 2023 12:33 PM

I was at a stop sign, looked to my left and next to me was Colin Farrell. Made eye contact. I nodded to him, he did it back. He drove away.

by Anonymousreply 176March 20, 2023 12:41 PM

Back in the early 60s having joined the Navy was on a train from San Francisco to LA area for schooling. In morning while walking down sleeping car hallway to breakfast a roaring drunk piled out of a cabin, knocked me down, and then proceeded to fall on me face to face. He quickly got up, brushed me off, and apologized profusely. Then staggered on his way. Who was it, Tony Curtis! He was having marital problems at the time. The incident is burned into my memory.

by Anonymousreply 177March 20, 2023 12:54 PM

R175 Thank you for qualifying your comment with "years ago."

by Anonymousreply 178March 20, 2023 1:04 PM

R171 It was Brian, wasn't it?

by Anonymousreply 179March 20, 2023 1:15 PM

I was in line at a Starbucks at JFK airport about 10 years ago and was behind Stephen Baldwin, the Baldwin brother who was hot for about 15 minutes in the 1990s, but then went full crazy Jesus freak.

It pains me to say that he was extremely pilot to the woman behind the counter who took his order, then when I was at the coffee bar, he walked up next to me and said, "Do you mind if I reach over you for a minute to grab the cream?"

Had he been the Stephen Baldwin of the 90s, I'd have said, in Sandra Bernhard-ese, "Love to!"

by Anonymousreply 180March 20, 2023 1:20 PM

^That's got to be like the tenth "I met a famous conservative and I was shocked that they were a nice person!" story on these threads.

Do none of you ever wonder if your worldview might be skewed? Maybe you miss out on knowing good people because you stereotype others so much?

by Anonymousreply 181March 20, 2023 1:31 PM

Up until a year ago, you were all convinced Alec Baldwin was the good Baldwin brother.

by Anonymousreply 182March 20, 2023 1:34 PM

R182 Hardly

by Anonymousreply 183March 20, 2023 3:24 PM

R181 No, because in my lifetime of experience, 99% of the Jesus freaks I've met have been just that - hateful, bigoted, sickening freaks. So when I meet one who isn't, it's shocking. And yet, how about that - I give 'em credit for not being horrible people.

Run along now. You're obviously one of the 99% I've encountered.

by Anonymousreply 184March 20, 2023 3:55 PM

What was Lange doing in Beverly Hills, I wonder. That seems antithetical to her.

by Anonymousreply 185March 20, 2023 5:14 PM

Back to my gift store - in the mid-2000s, Susan Sarandon's daughter Ava came to my store to buy a Mother's Day gift for her mom, and to be sent to her mom. She was with her friend Mamie, daughter of Meryl Streep - who also asked to send it to her mom that week in time for Mother's Day. (Ava went to Brown U at the time). I remember they both picked out something I was selling at the time for 'indoor gardening' (they were really nice gifts). They begged me not to share the addresses with anyone, and I promised i would never - reassuring them that I dealt with a lot of notable personalities and had things shipped to their homes - always with discretion. (Both girls had the gifts shipped to Manhattan apartments, where each mom lived). One of them (I can't recall which one) also picked out something for actress Goldie Hawn, whom she was very close to and said Goldie was her 'honorary Godmother'. I recall it was a very beautiful photo album I sold at the time, with gilded edging on each page, and the cover had angels on it - she said Goldie took a ton of photos everywhere she went (this was before camera phones were so popular). I had to ship that to Aspen, Colorado.

A few days after Mother's Day, I got a call from Susan Sarandon (!) thanking me for my help in picking out the gift for her daughter to send to her for mother's day. She really loved it, and wanted to know what other varieties the 'indoor flower garden' came in. She promised she would stop in my store and pick some more up herself, when she was in town for her daughter's graduation. She couldn't have been more kind on the phone - and grateful. Unfortunately, I never did see her graduation weekend.

Ava and Mamie couldn't have been more charming or humble. I loved having them in my store whenever they came in (I didn't realize who they were until they finally introduced themselves that weekend). It seemed like Mamie visited her friend Ava often while she was at Brown. I truly missed the two of them once Ava graduated.

by Anonymousreply 186March 20, 2023 7:47 PM

R186 that's nice to hear, especially that Sarandon took the time to call. Incidentally, didn't Ava fire her kid's nanny after she caught her sniffing her husband's underthings?!

by Anonymousreply 187March 20, 2023 8:01 PM

R187 Never heard that. BTW, she seems to go by two names - "Ava" and "Eva". In my store, she introduced herself as 'Ava' and I always remember her as 'Ava'. (I think Eva is her professional name).

by Anonymousreply 188March 20, 2023 8:09 PM

R188, how do YOU pronounce Eva?

If Eva Amurri pronounces her name the Italian way, then it sounds very similar to Ava (ay-va).

by Anonymousreply 189March 20, 2023 8:41 PM

R161, Chris lives or lived in that same area for years. A friend was taking one of those share ride shuttles to the airport, and one of the pickups was Chris. Margaret was standing out front with him- modest row looking house. This was maybe early 90s.

He must be a frugal guy, because he sold an oceanfront property in San Mateo county that he had for over 20 years as parkland and received $5 million.

I think I posted my Chris story before, but the first time I saw him in concert I had no idea who he was- this was after Wicked Games and a friend wanted to go.

At the end, he invited all of the women up to dance and gave them guitar picks.

He was drawing caricatures on T shirts afterwards, and I said Hey, what about us guys who wanted to dance? He laughed and gave me an initialed pick, and on my T shirt he drew his profile holding a whip and wrote You Are King.

I've been following him ever since.

by Anonymousreply 190March 21, 2023 1:19 AM

R190 That's cool!

by Anonymousreply 191March 21, 2023 1:23 AM

I said Tom Ford at lunch outside on the patio in The Polo Lounge. It was only a siting, nothing to tell, except he looks absolutely as stunning in real life as he does in his ads. He is one beautiful man who lives up the title. He was complete with signature suit and his shit practically unbuttoned to his navel.

by Anonymousreply 192March 21, 2023 1:27 AM

Marg Helgenberger was in the Admiral's Club at LAX. My then-9 year old daughter recognized her from A Dog's Journey. We sat opposite her. When she looked up, my daughter was staring at her, so she said "hello." My daughter was star struck. I told her we'd just watched the movie and loved it. She said thanks; she was happy to be recognized for something other than CSI. She took a few pics with my kid and waved goodbye as we left the lounge (and my daughter was still staring at her).

Probably ten years ago, Josh Radnor sat across the aisle from me on a flight from Columbus to LAX the Saturday after Thanksgiving. He read a book the entire flight. Then I saw him at baggage claim leaning against a column waiting for the bags to appear. I always thought he was very cute. I turned to him and said that I really liked Liberal Arts (his directorial debut) set at his alma mater, Kenyon College. His face lit up the we talked about having attended small colleges in rural Ohio, how going "home" for Thanksgiving recharges the soul. He was nothing short of adorable. The bags came, we parted ways, and I left with a happy memory.

by Anonymousreply 193March 21, 2023 1:56 AM

Will Sasso sat behind me on a flight People would point and whisper at him as they boarded. When everyone was on, I just turned and said excuse me. He looked at me and I said I didn't want to cause a scene while people were boarding but I love your work. He smiled and shook my hand and said I'm Will, I laughed and said I know and turned around to leave him alone. During the flight this fat frau flight attendant came over and said "Who are you? I know you are in something. Are you in King of Queens?" He laughed and said no but I know that guy. She kept pestering him, asking him who he was, I could tell he was getting frustrated so I looked at her and said "mam can I get a drink please?" She left and he looked at me and mouthed "thank you."

by Anonymousreply 194March 21, 2023 2:32 AM

In 1985 I attended a performance of "La Cage Aux Folles", the musical at the Pantages in Hollywood. Seated across the aisle from me was Kathryn Grayson, who was about 63 at the time but looked wonderful. She seemed to visibly enjoy the show, applauding loudly and standing at the end.

As she was leaving her seat and putting on her coat, I smiled, nodded and said, "wonderful show, wasn't it.". She smiled and said, "Great show. I wonder if they'd change the lead roles to a couple of dykes. Annie Miller and I could have fun playing those roles." She laughed uproariously at the notion.

by Anonymousreply 195March 21, 2023 2:33 AM

I sat next to Laurie Petty in first class as a gayling and we both got drunk together. I think she's bi because she suggested we go into the bathroom together. This was in the early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 196March 21, 2023 2:34 AM

R179 my first thought was Nick.

by Anonymousreply 197March 21, 2023 5:01 AM

[quote]He is one beautiful man who lives up the title. He was complete with signature suit and his shit practically unbuttoned to his navel.

No matter how beautiful he is, I don't want to see his unbuttoned shit.

by Anonymousreply 198March 21, 2023 5:22 AM

He's riddled with genital warts as well as herpes, an absolutely vile piece of shit...dressed up in a nice suit.

by Anonymousreply 199March 21, 2023 5:25 AM

R196 She wanted to do coke.

by Anonymousreply 200March 21, 2023 5:25 AM

Thank you R193. Yours is the first positive story about Josh Radnor I've ever heard/read. Everything else said about him makes him seem like a total jerk.

by Anonymousreply 201March 21, 2023 5:27 AM

I saw Bryan Singer and Kevin Spacey in a Toys R Us in the late 90s. They were shopping for sex toys. Micheal Jackson was waiting for them outside in a limo with a fresh supply of Jesus Juice

by Anonymousreply 202March 21, 2023 6:17 AM

I love Will Sasso and most of the cast of Mad TV. His Kenny Rogers impression was hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 203March 21, 2023 6:57 AM

I was a holiday party at a C level actor's house and Will Sasso was there. He's SO handsome in person (at that time his weight was under control.) I couldn't believe how handsome he was in person, actually.

I didn't speak to him so, technically, I have no fun story to tell. But I guess I sorta just did. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 204March 21, 2023 7:03 AM

R204 Was it our C List actor?

by Anonymousreply 205March 21, 2023 7:10 AM

No. Another actor was the host. He's a friend who've I've known forever.

Sasso was just a guest.

by Anonymousreply 206March 21, 2023 7:15 AM

An interview my husband and I gave to Oprah Winfrey slamming his family. Good times.

by Anonymousreply 207March 21, 2023 7:30 AM

I wouldn't mind blowing Josh Radnor, he's very cute. Hate his show though.

by Anonymousreply 208March 21, 2023 7:43 AM

Good on you OP! Your story put a smile on my face. I can actually hear her saying those things.

"Oh, I'm well aware"...

by Anonymousreply 209March 21, 2023 7:48 AM

Any cock pics R91?

by Anonymousreply 210March 21, 2023 7:49 AM

For someone who’s lived in NYC and L.A. I’ve had very few random celebrity encounters. I’ve met celebs socially or at work, but hardly ever spotted them out in the general public.

I’m pretty near sighted, though. So perhaps they’re all around me!

I did run into Wallace Shawn at a supermarket once (he was buying a melon) and since I respect his work so much I told him so. We chatted in the aisle for a bit. It was very odd timing because I was directing a staged reading of “Aunt Dan and Lemon” for a small theater company that week. I think that gave me the opening to talk to him, in my mind. Otherwise I would have just smiled.

He liked the flyer design. [italic]Which I did!

by Anonymousreply 211March 21, 2023 8:10 AM

I've told this before but briefly met Dame Helen Mirren outside the stage door when she was in "The Audience" in the West End. There was only about 5 of us as it was a wet weeknight and she took ages to come out. Really friendly and a bit drunk, she walked the wrong way to her car and the security guy had to bring her back. She refused one guy a selfie but was very charming about it, probably didn't want to be snapped after a drink!

by Anonymousreply 212March 21, 2023 9:17 AM

R69 I bet that you regret not asking him to sign it and then keeping it.

by Anonymousreply 213March 21, 2023 10:05 AM

R54 Maybe Julio was hitting on you…lol

by Anonymousreply 214March 21, 2023 10:06 AM

Okay, I'll play. Back in the 90s, when he was a big deal on MTV, Carson Daly was at the Pebble Beach Pro Am and so was I. I was worn out and tired of the crowds, so I went back to a hole that had already been played and sat down to just have some peace. About 5 minutes later, a two people come along -- Carson Daly and an older woman. They asked if I would mind if they joined me. The older lady was Carson's mother. We had a lovely conversation, the three of us, for almost an hour about nothing at all. I never let on that I knew who he was.

Also back in the 90s, I was at the Reno airport and bored. I people watch. There was this tiny little Black man sitting over by me and he was surrounded by much larger Black men, but small children were streaming up to the group in waves. The tiny man got up and was wearing the most ridiculous pants I had ever seen in public up to that point. He was utterly charming and kind to everyone and then went down to help people with their bags off the carousel. It was Mr. T.

I was having lunch in LA and went to the bathroom, running into Diane Keaton on her way out. Again, as one does in LA, I feigned ignorance as to who it was, but I apologized, saying "Pardon me, ma'am." She quietly whispered, "aren't you polite?"

by Anonymousreply 215March 21, 2023 10:57 AM

I've had quite a few! Matt Lattanzi trying to chat up a retail assistant in a jewelry store. Walked past Goldie Hawn, who flashed her Goldie smile and said "Hi". Stood next to Clint Eastwood at an amusement park. Very tall with undeniable presence. Saw Elle Macpherson at a department store. Tall and breathtakingly beautiful – it was the 80s. Kylie Minogue waving a taxi down. Short and cute. Kathleen Turner walking along looking like a typical American tourist in a white and navy windbreaker. Not half as unattractive as tabloid pictures make her look. Naomi Campbell on a photoshoot. Much darker in person but very sweet and giggly. Nothing diva about her. Michelle Pfeiffer walking through Kennedy Airport, wearing a stack of makeup but head turningly beautiful. Served Natalie Portman in a shop. Lots of freckles! Walked past porn star Jeff Strker in the 80s. Very short with terrible acne. Really pitted skin.

My neighbor met Sophia Loren in the 1980s and said she looked like a fat Italian in a bad wig.

by Anonymousreply 216March 21, 2023 11:59 AM

[Quote]she looked like a fat Italian in a bad wig.

Didn't look like, was.

by Anonymousreply 217March 21, 2023 12:03 PM

As an intern on Capitol Hill in the winter of '78, I stood next to John Denver in the back of the Senate room as he screened a documentary he had produced.

by Anonymousreply 218March 21, 2023 12:30 PM

I will repeat my Jason Robards story. He had just opened in a play on Broadway when I was in New York and one day walking in the theatre district I saw him walking towards me. At first I didn't recognize him but when I did I must have done a double take because he flashed me a big grin before we passed each other.

by Anonymousreply 219March 21, 2023 12:33 PM

r5 Faye Dunaway was the daughter of a NON commissioned officer and a housewife; I hardly think she qualifies as anything more than new money trash either.

by Anonymousreply 220March 21, 2023 12:40 PM

R193 So fucking sick of all you Marg Helgenberger groupies making stories up about her. For CHRIST sake you freaks just STOP: Marg wouldn't give you the goddam time of day!

by Anonymousreply 221March 21, 2023 3:09 PM

R154 My roomate was on DLR's security team. To a man they all loved the guy. Dave was as generous with his drugs as he was with his women because he had absolutely no use for them. Woman not drugs.

by Anonymousreply 222March 21, 2023 3:17 PM

R222 So what you're saying is he's gay.

by Anonymousreply 223March 21, 2023 3:25 PM

^Which has long been suspected on DL.

by Anonymousreply 224March 21, 2023 3:40 PM

A friend I knew in the 1980s told me he was standing on a corner on Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills, and saw that Linda Evans was walking in his direction. This was when she was on "Dynasty." He waved and said "Hi!," probably in his loud fangurl way. As she passed him she smiled big and whispered, "Hi."

by Anonymousreply 225March 21, 2023 3:48 PM

I was at a play and at intermission the woman sitting next to me started chatting with me. She happened to mention that an article she had written had been picked to be published in a women's magazine. A few months later I ran into her at my gym and she told me she had had several articles published and now there was interest in collecting them in a book like Sex and the City. She was a rather meek person with dyed red short hair. Cut to 2 years later and I am at a writer's festival and see her leading a man on a leash and her hair now waist length Bo Derek style braids. He sat at her feet as she read from her book a story about her sex life as a dominatrix. Her name would probably not mean anything to most people so not a big time celebrity but she seemed to have a meteoric rise as the bad magazines say.

by Anonymousreply 226March 21, 2023 4:04 PM

R226 should get a job writing clickbait

Thanks for nothing, Cunt.

by Anonymousreply 227March 21, 2023 4:18 PM

R225 that is the most gay thing I’ve read in several minutes.

by Anonymousreply 228March 21, 2023 4:53 PM

I did a photoshoot with Margaret Cho, Just a lovely human being who had no air of celebrity about her. I offered to get her food because she was hungry and she was so appreciative. She offered to give me money to get it then when I refused saying it was covered, she offered money for gas. I could tell she was uncomfortable with it just being her so I offered to get stuff for everyone there, hair, makeup etc. SHe felt better when everyone was getting something. She pulled me aside later saying I was pretty intuitive. She invited me to a party at her house that weekend. I would not say we are friends friends but I still speak to her via email or text every once in a while. Just a lovely person.

by Anonymousreply 229March 21, 2023 5:51 PM

Walking down a sidewalk on a Saturday afternoon last year. Some loser races up to me from out of nowhere, grabs me by the neck yelling “smile” while taking a selfie with his phone. I was in total shock but had enough presence of mind to whisper “I’m gonna sue you, bitch”.

by Anonymousreply 230March 21, 2023 6:25 PM

R229, good story about Margaret Cho. She seems nutty, but good to know she's a decent person.

by Anonymousreply 231March 21, 2023 6:30 PM

I had my gift store on the Rue du Rhône in Genève in the early 2000s. Muammar Gaddafi's son Hannibal came to my store to buy a Father's Day gift for his dad, to be sent to his secret home in Cap d'Antibes. He was with his friend Kim Jong-un, son of Kim Jong-il, who also bought a gift and asked for it to be sent to his dad that week in time for Father's Day. (Kim was still in Swiss prep school at that time). I remember they both picked out something I was selling at the time for 'indoor gardening' (they were really nice gifts). They begged me not to share the addresses with anyone, and I promised i would never - reassuring them that I dealt with a lot of notable personalities and had things shipped to their homes - always with discretion. One of them (I can't recall which one) also picked out something for Saddam Hussein, whom he was very close to and said Saddam was his 'honorary Godfather'. I recall it was a very beautiful photo album I sold at the time, with gilded edging on each page, and the cover had angels on it - he said Saddam took a ton of photos everywhere he went (this was before camera phones were so popular). I had to ship that to Baghdad, Iraq.

A few days after Father's Day, I got a call from Kim Jong-il (!) thanking me for my help in picking out the gift for his son to send to him for father's day. He really loved it, and wanted to know what other varieties the 'indoor flower garden' came in. He promised he would stop in my store and pick some more gifts when he was in town for her son's graduation. He couldn't have been more kind on the phone - and grateful. Unfortunately, I never did see Kim Jong-il in my gift shop in Genève.

Hannibal and Kim couldn't have been more charming or humble. I loved having them in my store whenever they came in (I didn't realize who they were until they finally introduced themselves that weekend). It seemed like Hannibal, who lived in London, visited his friend Kim often while Kim was at prep school. He didn't go to Le Rosey but to a small school in Lausanne. I truly missed the two of them once Kim graduated.

by Anonymousreply 232March 21, 2023 8:45 PM

R232 LMFAO

by Anonymousreply 233March 21, 2023 9:05 PM

R226 Pleasant Gehman ?

by Anonymousreply 234March 21, 2023 9:09 PM

Ah R232, I think Bubbles Devere also shops in your shop.

by Anonymousreply 235March 21, 2023 9:17 PM

We were at a Broadway show (can't remember which), seated behind two chatty older fraus. I pointed out something in the orchestra pit to my friend, and at that same moment the frau on the left turned her head and we made eye contact.

She gruffly snipped, "YES, it's Maryanne."

I had no idea what she was talking about and responded, "huh?"

"Yes it's her. Maryanne from Gilligan's Island," as she motioned to her friend next to her.

I replied, " oh hi, but I was pointing out something near the stage to my friend."

They both looked embarrassed and didn't talk the rest of the show.

by Anonymousreply 236March 21, 2023 9:24 PM

My dachshund is very sassy

by Anonymousreply 237March 21, 2023 9:31 PM

R229, what year was this? Was she dating Rocco?

by Anonymousreply 238March 21, 2023 9:59 PM

R227 - Bette tells you

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239March 21, 2023 9:59 PM

R116 I met Robert Duvall when he was visiting his brother, a Jesuit professor, at Marquette University. He was walking across the campus - without his toupee - and was very pleasant to anyone who recognized him. I chatted with him a bit about one of my favorite movies -- True Confessions -- and he was very gracious.

by Anonymousreply 240March 22, 2023 3:15 AM

Shortly after this Michael Shannon interview made news I was in a crowded bar in Chicago's Old Town, talking with a group, when I noticed Shannon (very drunk) sort of on the periphery. I said, "I just gotta say this ... "

His face fell.

" ... but I admire the hell out of how you're not afraid to tear down that asshole Trump in interviews."

He grinned shyly and said something like, "I think we all have to speak out."

"Have a good evening," I said, and left him alone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241March 22, 2023 3:55 AM

R232, marry me.

by Anonymousreply 242March 22, 2023 4:00 AM

R240, how long ago was this? Robert Duvall has been openly bald for a long, long time.

by Anonymousreply 243March 22, 2023 6:17 AM

OMG R232 I think I've been to your shop!

by Anonymousreply 244March 22, 2023 7:26 AM

You’re a classy guy r241

by Anonymousreply 245March 22, 2023 10:30 AM

Me too, r232! Small world!

by Anonymousreply 246March 22, 2023 12:26 PM

I’ve mentioned this one before. Walking by a Broadway theater I was distracted by the signs or photos or something and I bumped right into Henry Winkler. It was my fault and I apologized and he was so friendly and also kept apologizing.

by Anonymousreply 247March 22, 2023 12:33 PM

R243 I met him eight years ago. Yes, Mr. Duvall has been bald for quite a while. I believe he was partially bald as Boo Radley in 1962.

by Anonymousreply 248March 22, 2023 7:13 PM

When A Chorus Line became the longest running show with the big party in Shubert Alley and hundreds in the cast, I stepped on the heel of Helen Hayes shoe on the way into the theater and she stumbled a bit. I was so embarrassed apologizing profusely but she was lovely about it.

by Anonymousreply 249March 22, 2023 7:38 PM

Wandering about Soho (NY) and saw Uma Thurman pushing a stroller (it was the late 90's so, I'm guessing it was Maya) and while I didn't say anything to her, she could tell that I had recognized her. She gave me a scowl and continued on her way.

by Anonymousreply 250March 22, 2023 7:46 PM

R250 what exactly was fun about that interaction?

by Anonymousreply 251March 22, 2023 7:58 PM

[quote] [R250] what exactly was fun about that interaction?

I think we've long since ignored that part of OP's edict.

by Anonymousreply 252March 22, 2023 8:04 PM

A bout 3 weeks before Christmas I was in Michaels in ATL looking for a particular type of ornament. A woman in a puffy coat and a woolen hat, was in the same aisle and she sort of looked up and said, "this stuff seems picked over." I agreed. I said, " yeah, I can't find what I needed so I'll have to go to Plan B. " She chuckled and said, " yeah, we always have to have a Plan B. " and moved on to the next aisle. But that voice. I knew that voice... Finally, I popped my head into the next aisle and said, "Eve's Bayou" is one of my favorite movies. " She looked up and smiled. "Mine too." It was Lynn Whitfield and she was just doing some Christmas shopping, totally not expecting to be recognized. She seemed nice.

by Anonymousreply 253March 22, 2023 8:22 PM

With that face how could you tell it was a scowl directed at you?

by Anonymousreply 254March 22, 2023 10:13 PM

R253, Lynn Whitfield sounds like a cool lady. That's a good story.

by Anonymousreply 255March 23, 2023 12:05 AM

Wow, Lynn Whitfield. Love her.Talk about someone who should be a bigger star!

by Anonymousreply 256March 23, 2023 1:17 AM

Andrew Yang. He was doing a thing at my workplace earlier this week. I had read about it but had no intention of going.

It was time for a piss, so I went into the men's room and there was Andrew Yang at another urinal. I didn't acknowledge him, but he looked like he was amped up on something – eyes darting all over, he washed his hands like the soap was acid, and impatiently waved his hands in front of the paper towel dispenser, muttering "c'mon, c'mon."

Alas, he is a lot shorter than I thought he was. I'm 6'6", so most guys are shorter than *me*, but I doubt he's even 6' tall.

by Anonymousreply 257March 23, 2023 1:36 AM

R257, you were surprised that an Asian man was short?!

by Anonymousreply 258March 23, 2023 1:45 AM

R257 I'd ask if you took a peek, but it was Andrew Yang, so...nubbin.

by Anonymousreply 259March 23, 2023 1:46 AM

Lots of Sure, Jan urinal stories

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260March 23, 2023 1:49 AM

To R111, was that meeting with Kim Kartrashwhorian before or after stole Brandy's credit cards& ordered over 100 thousand dollars' worth of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 261March 23, 2023 2:33 AM

A hung British man fell down me once

by Anonymousreply 262March 23, 2023 2:35 AM

I used to be secretary to a lawyer who handled something for Pauly Shore. He would always have these flirtatious chats with me when he was leaving messages. He made me laugh. At one point he mock yelled, [italic]”Why won’t you looove meeee???!!!”

by Anonymousreply 263March 23, 2023 2:36 AM

Pauley Shore has turned into Richard Simmons

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 264March 23, 2023 2:42 AM

R261 did Kim really do that? What a little shit.

R264 Steve O looks pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 265March 23, 2023 3:36 AM

When I lived in Chicago in the 90s, I was walking up Southport on a sunny afternoon and saw Roger Ebert coming out of the Music Box. He was about thirty yards away, walking toward me, with no one else in sight. As he got up to me, I said, "How was the movie?" and he smiled and said, "Lousy."

by Anonymousreply 266March 23, 2023 3:41 AM

One of my best buds is a former "daddy" porn star who is a great fan of Raul Esparza. He doesn't live in NYC and when Raul was performing in a play here my friend asked if I could get Raul to sign an 8x10 headshot to him. I stopped by the theater an hour before the show to give the photo to the stage manager for Raul to sign it, and I would pick it up later. Raul was in the theater and was happy to come out and sign. "Who do you want to make it out to?" I told him the porn name of my friend. Raul gave me a naughty grin and cracked "What are you trying to do, set me up on a date?" He signed it and my friend loved it.

by Anonymousreply 267March 23, 2023 3:55 AM

Forget Raul, R267. Who's the porn daddy??

by Anonymousreply 268March 23, 2023 4:04 AM

R250, again.

I saw Kevin Spacey in The Iceman Cometh. I stood with my friend (both female) at the stage door, and when he came out to sign, we told him that we were film students. He asked us the name of the school and what classes we were taking. He was very nice and charming.

by Anonymousreply 269March 23, 2023 2:01 PM

R269 Yeah, I bet he was. I bet he wanted to cometh all over you.

by Anonymousreply 270March 23, 2023 2:04 PM

r268: Spike Daddy.

by Anonymousreply 271March 23, 2023 2:42 PM

R271 I don't know her.

by Anonymousreply 272March 23, 2023 2:44 PM

r272: Here ya go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273March 23, 2023 2:47 PM

R273 I wish I'd never seen that.

by Anonymousreply 274March 23, 2023 2:49 PM

R267 So you're saying Raul Esparza knows who porn "star" Spike Daddy is?

Hmm...

by Anonymousreply 275March 23, 2023 2:50 PM

Don't kid yourself...Spike may be long retired but he has a sizable fan following. Every pot has a lid.

r275: Oh, I think so! Maybe "Broadways Papi" likes other Papis. I forget Raul's multi-letter DL nickname....

by Anonymousreply 276March 23, 2023 2:56 PM

R276 That pot should definitely be covered with a lid.

Yikes.

by Anonymousreply 277March 23, 2023 2:59 PM

Ugh, really sorry I looked at that

by Anonymousreply 278March 23, 2023 5:20 PM

Met Pavarotti at a small reception once. He was aloof and preoccupied. Met Mario Cuomo once at a fundraiser, and he was lovely. Warm and friendly and looked you right in the eye. Very pleasant. Tall. His two sons are assholes, each in their own way.

by Anonymousreply 279March 23, 2023 5:46 PM

I've heard from people who live in the Hamptons that Chris Cuomo is an enormous douchebag.

by Anonymousreply 280March 23, 2023 7:24 PM

He walks around his yard nude, so they are lucky neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 281March 23, 2023 7:28 PM

My first trip to Paris in the 1990s and I was sitting my first morning at a lovely and typical outdoor cafe on the Champs-Elysees having an espresso and croissant and who strolled by?

Leslie Caron, wearing an elegant long woolen cape with a matching scarf. It couldn't have been a more appropriate welcome to the city.

by Anonymousreply 282March 23, 2023 7:38 PM

Was Cate Blanchett going into the Metro nearby?

by Anonymousreply 283March 23, 2023 9:33 PM

R283 not really funny anymore at this point - played out

by Anonymousreply 284March 23, 2023 9:41 PM

R284 = official directress of this thread

by Anonymousreply 285March 23, 2023 10:11 PM

I thought it was hilarious, R283.

by Anonymousreply 286March 23, 2023 10:53 PM

This is totally random, but I saw Hilary Clinton at the Applebee's near King of Prussia Mall. She was there with an entourage but for some reason she was sitting on her own when I walked by. We made eye contact, she winked and said, "pull my finger." So I did. You can guess what happened next.

by Anonymousreply 287March 23, 2023 10:57 PM

R287 Yawn

by Anonymousreply 288March 23, 2023 11:06 PM

Famous adjacent... sat next to Diana Vreeland’s grandson, Nicky Vreeland, in Business Class on a flight from Paris to New York in the early 2000s.

He was a Tibetan Monk by then, wearing his robes, and a very sweet guy. We talked for hours about his grandmother, whom I greatly admired.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289March 24, 2023 12:46 AM

I’ve told this story before, but it truly was a fun celeb sighting!

Sat a few seats away from Liza and Billy Stritch at some off-off Broadway show in the late1990s. I can’t even remember what the production was, but Liza was just as delightful and wonderful to be in close proximity to as all the stories I had heard. She warmly smiled at anyone who looked her way and during intermission was friendly and talkative to everybody who approached her.

They played some disco tune in the lobby to announce the 2nd act and I remember her shaking her shoulders and doing a little shimmy as we walked back into the theatre. Go ahead and “Mary!” me and I know it probably sounds corny, but even that little action was just so charming and she radiated such a joie de vivre that you couldn’t help but feel happy just being in the same room as her.

by Anonymousreply 290March 24, 2023 12:55 AM

It is very Mary! R290.

But it's also pretty cool.

by Anonymousreply 291March 24, 2023 12:59 AM

I met and spent a week with Bianca Jagger in the early 1990s. At the time I was dating a guy who was good friends with Bob Torricelli, a NJ Democrat who was then in Congress in Washington and was later elected to the US Senate. Bob was dating Bianca and we all ended up at another mutual friend’s house in East Hampton for a week.

I was only in my early 20s, but Bianca was a lot of fun to be around and treated me as an equal with the rest of the group in the house who were all in their 40s and 50s and very successful. She really was passionate about politics and human rights, but wasn’t dull or sanctimonious about it and was just as ready to have a great conversation about something more frivolous as well.

I’ll also never forget this was around the time Michael Price’s legendary mutual fund was really taking off and Bianca was telling anybody in the house who would listen to get in. She even said to me by the pool one afternoon that although I was young and probably not earning all that much to just find out the entry level investment amount in the fund and buy it. And to get my boyfriend to lend me the cash if necessary, so for sure Bianca was savvy about money! LOL

Would loved to have truly become friends. But after seeing her and Bob casually a few more times at some parties and dinners in New York, my relationship with my boyfriend that knew them ended about a year later and I never saw Bianca again.

by Anonymousreply 292March 24, 2023 1:07 AM

“Who”, not “that”, R192.

by Anonymousreply 293March 24, 2023 6:49 AM

I was at the Public Theater with my sister to kill some time seeing an early performance of some new play, and Rachel Weiss was there in the lobby waiting in line to go in, and I didn't speak to her but I was impressed with two things: She is very pretty, no make up, and she is very short. Seriously. Maybe 5'2" but certainly no more.

So we watched the play and it was a depressing play about teenagers and someone died, etc. and my sister asked me what I thought and I said I didn't care for it, and I went on like that for a minute, and then we realized Steven Soderbergh ..who wrote and produce the play, was sitting behind us and heard what we said, and I felt really bad because after all I've never done anything so accomplished, and I just felt like crap about it.

by Anonymousreply 294March 24, 2023 2:25 PM

Was it someone on here who told the story of Faye Dunaway being sweet for a second then shoo-ing them away like a bird?

by Anonymousreply 295March 24, 2023 2:34 PM

Soderbeg may not have liked the unfiltered feedback, but it have been more useful than the suck-ups who probably provide a lot of his feedback.

by Anonymousreply 296March 24, 2023 2:50 PM

I always forget about this story. When I was in high school, I was a grocery story bag boy in a suburb of Los Angeles.

An older woman with one arm would come in once or twice or week and I'd always help her load her groceries in her older sedan. She was a hoot. Really opinionated, very direct, but also very honest. She never once complained about her missing arm. She also liked me because she noticed how hard I worked and so she always made sure I was the bag boy who helped her out.

She always tipped me - even though that was not allowed. Said I earned it. She also started to tell me more about her life. Eventually, she said her son was a famous Hollywood director. I remember thinking: No way. You drive a beat up old car. And it felt to me then that we were too far from Hollywood, too far into the boring suburbs, for a famous director to stick his mom. But whatever. I still really liked her.

Then one day, she came in with her son. It was James Cameron! Terminator 2 had come out a few years earlier and it was my favorite movie at that point. I was stunned! James was nice enough and it was clear he adored her.

To this day, however, I really want to know why he didn't buy her a nicer car! But knowing her, she most likely would have refused anything fancy.

by Anonymousreply 297March 24, 2023 7:45 PM

R297, I'd never heard about Cameron's mother having lost an arm, so I looked her up and and it turns out that she died less than a month ago, aged 92. Her obituary was posted five days ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 298March 24, 2023 8:07 PM

Oh wow. Thanks for posting that. Honestly, I just assumed she died eons ago. To my 16 year old self, she seemed ancient in the mid 90s!

But it warms my heart to know she had such a long life. Fire cracker of a human for sure.

by Anonymousreply 299March 24, 2023 8:14 PM

R298, thanks for posting her obituary. I love that she kept learning new stuff, taking classes, and getting certificates and degrees. It's kind of inspiring.

by Anonymousreply 300March 24, 2023 8:45 PM

R298 thanks for posting that and to R297 for the original post.

I remember some of the photos that "Rose Dawson" had by her bedside in TITANIC.....sounds like Cameron made her later life a shadow of his Mom. Wasn't there a photo of Rose in a racing car?

by Anonymousreply 301March 24, 2023 9:43 PM

Back in the 2000s, my roommate worked at Lorimar casting. He told me one time that Pauly Shore had come in for reading but had parked in a spot he should not of. My roommate told him he had to move his car and he started crying. He started having a full tantrum meltdown and it freaked out my roommate. The casting person he was there to see came out and asked what happened. When my roommate explained to him he just asked him to move his car he looked shocked. He said you must have said something else but others supported his story. Shore then got it together enough to say he was just having a bad day. It was bizarre.

by Anonymousreply 302March 25, 2023 12:28 AM

Pauly Shore always seemed nuts, IMO. Every day is probably a bad day.

by Anonymousreply 303March 25, 2023 12:33 AM

[quote] he should not of

Oh, dear!

by Anonymousreply 304March 25, 2023 12:57 AM

R30, Dolly was not in that film. And to the guy was cruised by Gregory Harrison- Fox I hope that’s true. He was and still is a sexy in a stick dreamboat!

by Anonymousreply 305March 25, 2023 3:01 AM

I've also peed beside Harry Hamlin.. no wink.

by Anonymousreply 306March 25, 2023 5:28 AM

My friend had a big crush on Kate Hudson before she was famous. They knew each other since they were kids and Kate was always low key. Not related, but I saw Goldie Hawn at the valet of the Soho House in WeHo and what I think was most interesting was that she drove a very old model Range Rover. It was not the style that is a classic like the old Defenders so it just looked shabby. Who doesn't like Goldie, but her car was disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 307March 25, 2023 6:16 AM

[Quote] They knew each other since they were kids and Kate was always low key.

She still is.

by Anonymousreply 308March 25, 2023 6:40 AM

And last week I saw Jessica Lange at Fred Segal, and I talked her out of buying this truly heinous angora sweater. Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed.

by Anonymousreply 309March 25, 2023 10:04 AM

In 1988 I was at the Castro Theatre to see Polyester as part of the Lesbian and Gay Film Festival. This was right after Divine had died, and John Waters was going to present the film. We were early and standing in the aisle, deciding where we'd sit. I turned and saw John Waters casually walking towards me down the aisle. It was like a dream and I started to swoon!

"Oh my god, it's John Waters!" I whispered to my boyfriend, "I feel like I'm going to faint!"

We quickly found a seat and my boyfriend told me to put my head between my knees so I wouldn't pass out. Meanwhile, John sat by himself in the front row of the theater, about three rows in front of us. When I finally lifted my head up, I looked back at John Waters and saw my boyfriend sitting next to him—and touching his face! A couple of other people had joined them and they were all talking and laughing.

Later, when I asked my boyfriend why he was touching John Waters' face, he said he had asked him if his mustache was real. John told him he could touch it if he wanted, "Just don't smear the makeup."

by Anonymousreply 310March 25, 2023 10:54 AM

You nearly fainted seeing John Waters?!

by Anonymousreply 311March 25, 2023 10:58 AM

I'm not proud. I can't explain it!

by Anonymousreply 312March 25, 2023 11:15 AM

You have to read the whole thread, R305 before popping up with a “gotcha” that’s already been gotten.

But no, you just had to pop in and show us you didn’t. Happy now?

by Anonymousreply 313March 25, 2023 2:08 PM

Ron Perlman, waiting for a JetBlue flight at JFK a number of years ago. He was holding a teeny-tiny adorable dog. Totally at odds with his onscreen persona. I smiled at him and the dog in an “Awwww” sort of way, and he smiled back. He had a great, warm smile.

by Anonymousreply 314March 25, 2023 3:22 PM

[quote] And last week I saw Jessica Lange at Fred Segal, and I talked her out of buying this truly heinous angora sweater. Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed.

True that, Elle Woods. I worked at Fred Segal p/t in high school and one star who sticks out as a massive asshole is Robin Willians (RIP), shockingly. He was not nice, destroyed the dressing room, and he is very, very short. He's not much bigger in height than a small person which I was really shocked about. Sara Gilbert also trashed the dressing room, had no manners, and this was before she had her comeback. This was around 2000.

by Anonymousreply 315March 25, 2023 4:18 PM

DL icon Tori Spelling is the real deal. Yes, she is hot mess who can't manage her finances, checks herself into the hospital to be doted on when she is overwhelmed and is a total JAP. With all that said, she is absolutely, consistently lovely. She is the type of person any gay would want as a friend. What you see with Tori is what you get. She is no different than her TV persona.

Sean Young (way past her prime) tried to put the moves on my boyfriend at a charity event. We even walked her to her car (she drove a shitty gold, old Mitsubishi or something like that) and she was relentless. What both she and I didn't know at the time was that he was a big bottom (he said he just wasn't into anal).

by Anonymousreply 316March 25, 2023 4:24 PM

R315 "True that"

Let's speak like adults.

by Anonymousreply 317March 25, 2023 4:25 PM

R316, go away with your straight stories please, the Good Housekeeping blog is calling...fuck I hate reading a story and then find out it's a fucking woman

by Anonymousreply 318March 25, 2023 5:50 PM

This isn't a personal interaction. Yesterday, I went to see Sarah Silverman at the Wellmont Theater in Montclair, NJ.

At one point she looked at the front row of the audience and noticed that the people seated there had one of the stage lights shining in their faces. She asked, "is the light bothering you?". Then she very nicely asked the lighting dude to dim certain lights and waited while he got the illumination just right. I thought that was very sweet and made her appear very "real".

by Anonymousreply 319March 27, 2023 11:19 AM

Pre pandemic when Ray Donovan was still in production. Living in a condo in Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Most of the Donovan production locations were in Greenpoint, as were the production studios. Jon Voight was renting a sublet in the building. He would hang around the lobby and visit with the concierge and staff. When I passed I would always say ‘Hello Mr. Vioight’, and he would respond nicely. Very friendly. This was before I found out he is a rabid Trumper.

by Anonymousreply 320March 27, 2023 12:22 PM

Like this one.

by Anonymousreply 321April 1, 2023 5:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!