Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Cultural Appropriation

Ramadan begins on March 22. I belong to a race equity team in my Catholic parish. At a recent meeting, someone suggested that not only do we acknowledge Ramadan and pray for our Muslim siblings, but we might consider having an Iftar meal. Iftar is the main meal of the fasting day, which occurs at sunset every day of Ramadan.

I think this is inappropriate and would be considered cultural appropriation. Similar to Christian churches having a Seder meal. The intention is good, but it is not the right approach.

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 197March 20, 2023 6:38 PM

Ask a Muslim whether they care.

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2023 9:55 PM

Are people going to fast all day too. Anyway it seems stupid and not Catholic.

by Anonymousreply 2March 17, 2023 9:55 PM

All the Christians, Jews, and Muslims should just get together and go back to the Stone Age they came from. World's problems solved.

by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2023 9:55 PM

Religious practices should be legally confined to ones home.

by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2023 9:58 PM

You're totally overthinking this.

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2023 9:58 PM

Bullshit you go to church. Lying ass Greg.

by Anonymousreply 6March 17, 2023 9:59 PM

[quote] I belong to a race equity team

Uh, what?

by Anonymousreply 7March 17, 2023 9:59 PM

Iftar makes sense in the context of a lengthy difficult fasting period where people break the fast communally. This reinforces the faith community and the faith itself. None of that is done by Catholics doing a one day fast and evening meal. This is what I mean by stupid and it is merely performative. As many anti racist things are by white progressives. Maybe they could do something real like having lectures on Islam.

May I ask what big city this progressive Catholic parish is in?

by Anonymousreply 8March 17, 2023 10:01 PM

R6, what's your trouble?

by Anonymousreply 9March 17, 2023 10:06 PM

[quote] Uh, what?

What are you asking me?

by Anonymousreply 10March 17, 2023 10:06 PM

R8, I agree with what you say.

Boston

by Anonymousreply 11March 17, 2023 10:08 PM

Why are they acknowledging Islam if this is a Catholic congregation? Would Muslims oblige and do the same? If not, don’t.

by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2023 10:09 PM

[quote] I belong to a race equity team in my Catholic parish.

This is the worst collection of words I’ve seen in one sentence in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 13March 17, 2023 10:15 PM

R13- It requires two headache tablets to read it.

by Anonymousreply 14March 17, 2023 10:22 PM

Because, R12, we pray for our neighbors and we also have parishioners who may be in families where more than one faith is observed. It's called being sensitive and loving.

by Anonymousreply 15March 17, 2023 10:22 PM

Well it may interest you to know, R13, that I have been selected as Chairgurl of the Committee on Diversity, Equity and Inclusion (DEI) here at the DL. Muriel formed the committee a two months ago. You should come to a meeting sometime -- we're not so bad.

by Anonymousreply 16March 17, 2023 10:23 PM

Please travel to Mecca and serve ham from a cart, you obnoxious parasite.

by Anonymousreply 17March 17, 2023 10:23 PM

Cultural appropriation is taking something from someone else's culture and presenting it as something of your own. Everything else isn't a cultural appropriation. White people having dreadlocks isn't a cultural appropriation.

by Anonymousreply 18March 17, 2023 10:25 PM

My cats breath smells like cat food.

by Anonymousreply 19March 17, 2023 10:26 PM

This thread reads trollish

by Anonymousreply 20March 17, 2023 10:26 PM

[quote] This is the worst collection of words I’ve seen in one sentence in a long time.

And why is that, R13?

Is it because you don't agree with race equity?

Or because you don't think a church ought to care about racial equity?

Seriously.

by Anonymousreply 21March 17, 2023 10:27 PM

The Jews don’t like it when the Fundies do Passover. I’d skip it.

by Anonymousreply 22March 17, 2023 10:28 PM

Jesus said I'm going to hell if I'm not am atheist.

by Anonymousreply 23March 17, 2023 10:28 PM

[quote] It requires two headache tablets to read it.

Why? I'm really trying to understand.

by Anonymousreply 24March 17, 2023 10:29 PM

Greg, master of turning the other cheek.

by Anonymousreply 25March 17, 2023 10:29 PM

What is a race equity team? What’s its purpose and goals?

by Anonymousreply 26March 17, 2023 10:29 PM

[quote] This thread reads trollish

Well it's not. But your cynicism doesn't disappoint, R20.

by Anonymousreply 27March 17, 2023 10:30 PM

[quote]White people having dreadlocks isn't a cultural appropriation.

Others may disagree.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 17, 2023 10:30 PM

R28 Well, "others" are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 29March 17, 2023 10:32 PM

This shit never happened.

by Anonymousreply 30March 17, 2023 10:33 PM

There's that other cheek at R27 and R28.

Can you ever just hold your fucking tongue? You came here with a question, you knew you'd catch stick, and you still have to turn it in to a battle royale about you, not just get responses to your query.

You are an awful, awful person who apparently should pay more attention in church. Fuck off.

by Anonymousreply 31March 17, 2023 10:33 PM

Does your church participate in any interfaith activities, OP? If so, perhaps there is an affiliated mosque that would be interested in taking part in a joint activity with your parish?

I would not recommend taking part in a meal that has ritual significance within Islam: the people in your parish probably wouldn’t like it if a mosque acted out one of the sacraments in order to show solidarity with Catholics.

In terms of “praying for them”, it kind of depends on the prayer. Is it, “God, please keep our Muslim neighbors happy and safe,” or “God, please save the Muslims from the fires of hell and bring them to eternal life in the arms of our savior Jesus Christ.”

Being that your church has a racial equity group (I don’t think this is stupid, plenty of practicing Catholics are from different racial and ethnic backgrounds in the US) I’m guessing you’re the Guitar Mass Vatican II-embracing justice-for-all progressive Catholics, but asses can be found in every group.

by Anonymousreply 32March 17, 2023 10:35 PM

When you pass off some recipes that you stole from a Muslim chef as your own, then it’ll be cultural appropriation.

by Anonymousreply 33March 17, 2023 10:35 PM

[quote] What is a race equity team? What’s its purpose and goals?

Thanks, Egalandy. The chief goal is to work towards becoming an anti-racist parish. We contracted with a local nonprofit that helps organizations work on becoming anti-racist. They were with us for two years, and conducted a parish-wide survey, they interviewed ministry leads; met with staff; had focus groups (young adults; LGBTQ; young families; teens; senior parishioners; parishioners who have left the parish; and BIPOC parishioners); and did some "mystery" visits when we didn't know someone was watching us (they then wrote a report on what they observed and experienced during their visit. How welcomed they felt; church decor; religious imagery; the coffee hour and what type of food and drink is served; the parish bulletin and website; etc. Then they held workshops for ministry heads and also parish staff and clergy. After all this, they wrote a 30-page strategic report outlining a three-year plan.

We paid nearly $100K for all this and are committed to both learning and unlearning with the goal of becoming a truly welcoming place for everyone.

So, the race equity team is made up of a group of parishioners who have been meeting weekly since the murder of George Floyd and who are responsible for the work we've done and the work we have to do over the next three years. This team has created affinity groups in the parish (LGBTQ+; BIPOC; young families; seniors); they are planning for having a Spanish language liturgy; they are doing staff training; they are trying to make a case for the parish to hire a chief diversity officer; they are working with the liturgy director to try to make our liturgies more welcoming; they are working to incorporate in a more specific way racism as a topic in our children's religious ed classes; and they provide learning opportunities like lectures, guest speakers, a movie series with special attention to films having to do with race; and we amplify Black voices, writers, composers, and artists. We are also examining our statuary and are looking into getting some statues of saints who are Black.

That sort of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 34March 17, 2023 10:45 PM

[quote] When you pass off some recipes that you stole from a Muslim chef as your own, then it’ll be cultural appropriation.

Oh, okay. Thanks, R33.

by Anonymousreply 35March 17, 2023 10:46 PM

Islam is not a race. Muslims come in every color.

by Anonymousreply 36March 17, 2023 10:47 PM

[quote] In terms of “praying for them”, it kind of depends on the prayer. Is it, “God, please keep our Muslim neighbors happy and safe,” or “God, please save the Muslims from the fires of hell and bring them to eternal life in the arms of our savior Jesus Christ.”

What do you think? Here's what the parish prayed for on November 28:

[quote] Hanukkah begins at sunset today, November 28. We remember our Jewish family and friends as they kindle the first candle of the menorah and begin their eight–day celebration of light.

by Anonymousreply 37March 17, 2023 10:50 PM

I just Googled your church Greg, it looks beautiful. I am impressed at how progressive and charitable your parish is.

by Anonymousreply 38March 17, 2023 10:56 PM

[quote] Does your church participate in any interfaith activities, OP? If so, perhaps there is an affiliated mosque that would be interested in taking part in a joint activity with your parish?

Yes, we do. That's a very good idea. Thank you!

by Anonymousreply 39March 17, 2023 10:58 PM

Thanks, R38. It's a pretty great place.

by Anonymousreply 40March 17, 2023 10:58 PM

Facebook, you ass.

Use it and blow.

by Anonymousreply 41March 17, 2023 10:59 PM

[quote] There's that other cheek at [R27] and [R28].

What does this mean?

[quote] Can you ever just hold your fucking tongue? You came here with a question, you knew you'd catch stick, and you still have to turn it in to a battle royale about you, not just get responses to your query.

No, l am not inclined to hold my tongue when it shouldn't be held.

I knew I'd "catch stick" – ah...okay.

You are a weirdo. Read the responses again and ask yourself if I am really in the wrong.

[quote] You are an awful, awful person who apparently should pay more attention in church. Fuck off.

Okay, we're obviously dealing with someone with mental illness here, so I will not respond to that.

Peace, R31.

by Anonymousreply 42March 17, 2023 11:02 PM

Nice stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 17, 2023 11:06 PM

Of course you should discuss this on Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 44March 17, 2023 11:11 PM

Greg I sometimes defend you but we don’t believe you, you need more people.

by Anonymousreply 45March 17, 2023 11:12 PM

Egalandy, here you go

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 17, 2023 11:14 PM

R45, if you don't believe me, I don't really care.

It's funny though that this is what you choose not to believe. Interesting.

by Anonymousreply 47March 17, 2023 11:17 PM

[quote] Of course you should discuss this on Datalounge.

I guess you're right, R44. It would be better of me to discuss ass eating or Prince Harry or something important like that.

by Anonymousreply 48March 17, 2023 11:18 PM

R47 so you admit you have lied about other things. We’re the haters right about you all along?

by Anonymousreply 49March 17, 2023 11:19 PM

Egalandy look here, too

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 17, 2023 11:20 PM

[quote] [R47] so you admit you have lied about other things. We’re the haters right about you all along?

No. I don't read what I posted as any sort of admission of lying. Tell us more.

by Anonymousreply 51March 17, 2023 11:21 PM

Get a blog!!!

by Anonymousreply 52March 17, 2023 11:30 PM

Why not hijack a plane if you want to celebrate Muslim traditions?

by Anonymousreply 53March 17, 2023 11:30 PM

Okay, fine.

Never mind.

by Anonymousreply 54March 17, 2023 11:34 PM

As if there were ANY doubt how this thread would end.

... which is exactly why it was posted.

by Anonymousreply 55March 17, 2023 11:40 PM

Oh, stop clutching your pearls, R55.

I got a few good, sincere, and helpful responses from people.

I'm just surprised at how miserable so many people out here are. I mean truly miserable.

And no, I did not post this to cause such an ugly response. You're very cynical.

by Anonymousreply 56March 17, 2023 11:42 PM

[quote]We’re the haters

You sure are.

by Anonymousreply 57March 17, 2023 11:51 PM

Thanks, R57.

R49's poor understanding of contractions was unintentionally on target.

by Anonymousreply 58March 18, 2023 12:01 AM

The obvious people to discuss this with are Muslims. If you're holding an Iftar fast-breaking without Muslim input or Muslims attending, that's just weird. The second questions are what do you want to accomplish and who do you want to attend?

Now this is just me. I personally would be very skeptical of the consultants collecting 100k to give your church a plan on how to become an anti-racist institution. That money belongs in the pockets of poor people and the DEI consultants my company contracted with were hucksters.

by Anonymousreply 59March 18, 2023 12:02 AM

Not cultural appropriation, but kind of an empty gesture without an interfaith component. I do applaud your parish for the effort, though.

by Anonymousreply 60March 18, 2023 12:03 AM

Thank you, R59 and R60 — I agree with you on every point.

by Anonymousreply 61March 18, 2023 12:06 AM

The key things missing from your argument are context and intent. In fact, this is what's wrong with the whole her too and every other "victim" movement. If you intend on mocking a race or religion or cultural practice, then fine, yes I would say that is cultural appropriation - like black face - not good - but to honor a ritual of another culture I think is not only NOT cultural appropriation but the opposite....

by Anonymousreply 62March 18, 2023 12:41 AM

Surprised it was a Jesuit parish.

Jezzies.

by Anonymousreply 63March 18, 2023 1:26 AM

Surprised it was NOT a Jezzie parish, I meant to say.

by Anonymousreply 64March 18, 2023 1:28 AM

Does it count if I stay at Ramada Inn?

by Anonymousreply 65March 18, 2023 2:06 AM

“Kindle the first candle” hahaha

by Anonymousreply 66March 18, 2023 2:18 AM

There are 65 comments and no mention of the fact that these are two religions who despise gay men.

Of course, filthy Muslims are way worse. In poll after poll, Muslims around the world have expressed that they want gay men dead.

I don't really care about two gay-hating, pedophile organizations.

by Anonymousreply 67March 18, 2023 2:20 AM

Serious question, with no disrespect or snark meant by it, but aren't you at all concerned about doxxing yourself Greg? You've left some pretty big bread crumbs for people to identify you. The DL attracts its fair share of crazies.

by Anonymousreply 68March 18, 2023 3:06 AM

Catholics saying that they pray for groups of people is condescending, self-righteous bullshit. You are truly tone deaf to the world around you.

by Anonymousreply 69March 18, 2023 3:10 AM

Okay.

by Anonymousreply 70March 18, 2023 3:49 AM

There is so much about this post that is bothersome.

First, OP is a supposed gay man who is part of an organization that hates gay men. There are a bazillion gay-friendly churches out there, like the Unitarians, or some shit.

But OP threw in his lot with these freaks. Every damn month or so, I read about another Catholic school that has fired a gay teacher because he dared to post a picture of his bf on social media.

Then we have the issue of the "equity committee" or whatever the fuck they call it.

Recently, I checked out the website for the running club that I jogged with for several years in the mid-2000s. And what do ya know. On the front page, there is a DEI statement. What exactly is their plan? Are they going to talk about structural racism as the lace up their shoes?

They never mention any concrete steps they're taking to get black people to start jogging.

But here's the most insidious part: There is a report button on the website that encourages members to report instances of microaggressions. It's like freakin' snitch culture of East Germany or the USSR.

What started out as a casual jogging club for gay men and lesbians, has been hijacked by a cabal of 20-something "queer" people who aren't even same-sex attracted. But of course, starting a DEI committee looks great on a resume (at the current moment) and I'm guessing this was the real reason why these idiots felt that a running club needed a corporate-style DEI committee.

And getting back to religion: Both Catholics and Muslims preach that non-believers will be tortured in Hell until the end of time.

If you think I'll be tortured for eternity because I don't believe in your particular sky daddy, then how the hell can we share a meal and "reach across the aisle"? How does that even work?

by Anonymousreply 71March 18, 2023 3:53 AM

[quote] Both Catholics and Muslims preach that non-believers will be tortured in Hell until the end of time.

hedda, I can only speak for the Catholic Church. It does not preach that at all.

by Anonymousreply 72March 18, 2023 3:58 AM

Oh and if one ends up in hell, it is just until the end of time. It’s for eternity.

Eternity, by definition, has no beginning or end. The end of time is the destruction of the universe, at which point space and time as we currently know it will cease to be. Eternity, however, would continue unabated.

by Anonymousreply 73March 18, 2023 4:01 AM

Correction:

Oh, and if one ends up in hell, it isn’t just until the end of time. It’s for eternity.

by Anonymousreply 74March 18, 2023 4:02 AM

Look OP, I don't know your history with datalounge or why there is so much animosity between you and some other dataloungers who have been here for years. I've only been here for a few months and really don't give a crap about all these tit for tat exchanges.

To me, you're the recipe guy. But I gotta say, your nit-picking about the definition of "end of time" compared with "eternity" tells me that you're a bit of a troll.

That doesn't matter. What matters is that you see people who don't follow your particular religion as less than human. Both your religion and the Islam faith revel in the belief that non-believers will be tortured. That's sick and twisted.

And the self-hating gay stuff is also sick and twisted. Your church has done so much harm to children, gay men and lesbians. It's all so vile.

The supposed afterlife and the pedantic definition of "end of time" vs "eternity" is not important. What is important is that we can measure the harm that your group has done to gays and lesbians in the here and now.

by Anonymousreply 75March 18, 2023 4:17 AM

@ confessional, the Church of the Holy Cut and Paste:

Forgive me, father, for I have sinned.

What is this sin?

I have felt hatred toward Greg.

Oh, don't worry, that's normal. Everybody says that.

by Anonymousreply 76March 18, 2023 4:17 AM

Catholics are either hyper liberal or hyper conservative these days, and it's very confusing.

by Anonymousreply 77March 18, 2023 4:25 AM

[quote] What matters is that you see people who don't follow your particular religion as less than human. Both your religion and the Islam faith revel in the belief that non-believers will be tortured. That's sick and twisted.

False

by Anonymousreply 78March 18, 2023 4:26 AM

OP, I don’t want to get into any philosophical discussions about why are you Catholic, or why adapt a Muslim practice, etc. I love learning, attending and participating in cultural events. If your congregation wants to observe a day of Ramadan, go for it! I can 100% guarantee you not a single Muslim would ever be offended. On the contrary, they’d be touched and honored. It’s not offensive in the least. I have family abd friends that are Muslim, and they love any interest in their holiday. If your congregation wishes to visit a mosque and eat a meal there, that would be a welcomed gesture too.

In my little town, there is an interfaith iftar every year that’s open to the public and it’s great fun. Lots of delicious food and lots of interesting people. The one I go to is a potluck, so you get the best homecooked food from every culture possible. You literally see the love and pride that went into the dishes. Just spending the evening bonding over the food is worth it. No one discusses politics or sinning or anything like that.

by Anonymousreply 79March 18, 2023 4:46 AM

OP shut the fuck up. Homages are not appropriations. Unless you're Quentin Tarantino.

God how much more of this idiocy can we take?

by Anonymousreply 80March 18, 2023 5:02 AM

Why do you start threads like this? I don't want to argue with you again, and have you say I'm a ho, and a cunt, but you must realize how awful, most religions have been to gays, women and kids. I don't think its cultural appropriation if there is Interfaith worship or cultural exchange. All religions have different races too. Are you Greg, who posts recipes? I've enjoyed your posts about that, I just don't understand why you want to provoke people. If you aren't that Greg, I apologize.

by Anonymousreply 81March 18, 2023 5:30 AM

Because, at heart, he's a troll.

by Anonymousreply 82March 18, 2023 5:49 AM

R81 I am the Greg who posts recipes.

I never have nor would I ever say that you are a ho and a cunt. Are you?

Grow up. My church is full of young families, babies, gays and lesbians, trans.

I wasn’t being provocative. I asked a sincere question.

You are really something.

by Anonymousreply 83March 18, 2023 5:51 AM

No Greg, YOU are something. I answered you sincerely too. You couch your posts in rhetoric that makes you seem troll like.

by Anonymousreply 84March 18, 2023 5:56 AM

This is a question for you OP: can you sincerely explain why you've decided to part of a group that despises gay men and lesbians?

Don't you see a contradiction in what you're doing? How do you reconcile being a gay man and being part of a group that hates gay men?

Of course, the elephant in the room is that you're not a gay man. Are you actually a woman who is cos-playing as a gay man?

And if it's a faith community you're looking for, why not attend a church that is gay-affirming?

by Anonymousreply 85March 18, 2023 6:03 AM

Op, weren't you the one who had the Juneteenth BBQ? Maybe you are better off sticking to your prunes in clam sauce.

by Anonymousreply 86March 18, 2023 6:14 AM

I fast on Jewish holidays (my choice! I like the discipline and altered consciousness that comes from it) and, like Islamic fasts, that means not only abstaining from food (which is fine) but also from WATER for 24 hours+, which is horrible! (I’m not sure most people know about the no water thing…?)

Jewish fasts are rigourous, but nothing like Ramadan, which is hardcore.

Christians, with their “omg - I can only eat molluscs (gross!) for the forty day of lent! However will I cope?” can go fuck themselves for thinking they’re actually depriving themselves of anything.

by Anonymousreply 87March 18, 2023 6:14 AM

[quote] All the Christians, Jews, and Muslims should just get together and go back to the Stone Age they came from. World's problems solved.

R3 is obviously ignorant of the human condition of dominance. Men will go to war over eye color.

[quote] The Jews don’t like it when the Fundies do Passover.

Passover (which starts sundown 5 April) is the celebration of the liberation of the Jews from 214 years of slavery in Egypt. Given this, non-Jews "doing Passover" is not only ludicrous, it's yet further cultural theft.

by Anonymousreply 88March 18, 2023 6:18 AM

Sounds like white-guilt pandering/patronizing, applied now to Muslims, too. At my work, the DEI person was thinking about how to support employees who were going to be observing Ramadan. As if they needed her help.

If the parish has done interfaith things before, then go for it.

(PS: almost all the measures described at R34 sound absurd.)

by Anonymousreply 89March 18, 2023 6:18 AM

Snack burka!

by Anonymousreply 90March 18, 2023 6:21 AM

R43/Greg - your church really does sound lovely, but as someone raised atheist and whose only exposure to monotheistjc religion has been conservative Judaism… I have to say I just don’t get the whole Jesus thing but that’s okay! I’ve read the bible (ours, plus the little christian part)

As long as it’s a social group focused on doing GOOD and making the world a better place (tikkun olam), then who can object 🤷🏻

by Anonymousreply 91March 18, 2023 6:46 AM

the appropriations of the romans and the greeks by the christians

by Anonymousreply 92March 18, 2023 6:56 AM

R22 The fundies try to turn Passover into the Last Supper. It isn’t.

by Anonymousreply 93March 18, 2023 7:06 AM

The "Fundies" should keep in mind that if Jesus returned tomorrow, he'd walk past every one of their churches looking for a synagogue.

by Anonymousreply 94March 18, 2023 7:09 AM

Muslim (religion) = "race"?

by Anonymousreply 95March 18, 2023 7:29 AM

^ I mean religious group

by Anonymousreply 96March 18, 2023 7:30 AM

Muslims are not a race or religion, except in the US. Islam is an intrinsic part of cultural/national identity and lifestyle of Muslims. If you are not Muslim, then you are not considered Egyptian, Jordanian, Saudi Arabian, Iranian, Iraqi, Turkish, etc. etc.

by Anonymousreply 97March 18, 2023 7:35 AM

You should serve up Halal Snack Packs (HSPs) to your group. They are fucking tasty and after eating one I feel positively Muslim adjacent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98March 18, 2023 8:28 AM

Iftar isn’t some sacred ritual. It’s literally just an evening meal. If you do it, I would invite a local mosque ir perhaps a local Muslim heavy refugee group. Have the meal catered to ensure it is halal.

Of course,I personally wouldn’t do it. Why are Christians always cucking themselves and simping for Muslims? Praying for Muslims? The only time Muslims pray for you is for you to be converted.

by Anonymousreply 99March 18, 2023 8:38 AM

the muslim killed everyone in the middle east n stole their cultures

by Anonymousreply 100March 18, 2023 8:56 AM

Uh, huh. Why don't you just start tossing gay people off the top of buildings too. The Muslims won't mind you appropriating that aspect of their culture.

by Anonymousreply 101March 18, 2023 9:03 AM

I don't think honoring the religious traditions of other people is cultural appropriation, but there are ways to do it sensitively and ways to do it clumsily. In general, various religions invite others as a gesture of hospitality. I'm not Jewish but I've been invited to probably 20+ seders in my life, mostly in the homes of Jewish friends. I'm respectful of the traditions, and say whatever prayers are required for the occasion. In various parts of the country, Catholic parishes offer some sort of fish fry on Fridays during Lent, and people who come don't have to show their "catholic card". But in general, Catholicism doesn't have many rituals around food and food preparation, which both Judaism and Islam have in spades. Some Catholic countries have special meals before Christmas (the meal of the 12 fishes, or the meal of the seven fishes for instance) - but that is not universal by any means. Both Judaism and Islam have many precepts about sheltering strangers. (A remnant from their tribal origins, when nomadic people depended on a kind reception at an oasis or well). I'm sure that if Greg's parish has made overtures to the Muslim community, informed some community Muslims of their desire to hold an Iftar and seeking advice on how to do it in the most respectful way, it would be looked upon very favorably, particularly if they invited representatives from that community to assist in the preparation and participation in the eating of the meal, maybe a presentation about the history of the tradition, as well as ecumenical prayers.

There's nothing grosser than people inviting people of other faiths and then lecturing them or offering prayers for their conversion to the faith of their hosts.

Along those lines, there's a very old Jewish joke about a lone Jewish man living in a small village in medieval France. He was very well-liked as the best tailor around. . However. on Friday afternoons, when the village people were preparing their dried and salted cod meals or some barely edible lentils and bread, they were tortured by the delicious smell of chicken soup wafting through the town as the tailor prepared his sabbath meal. Finally the village people couldn't stand it. They went to the priest and said, "Father, you've got to do something about Moishe. He's driving us crazy on Fridays". After a few weeks, the priest decided he had no choice but to forcibly convert the tailor. So one day, the townspeople burst into Moishe's home and dragged him off to the church, where the priest did a formal conversion ceremony, culminating in the words, "Domine domini domini, once a Jew, now a Christian". Everyone went back about his business, relieved that the matter had been settled and they'd no longer be tortured on Friday afternoons. However, the next Friday arrived and once again, the delicious smell of chicken soup cooking wafted through town. Now the townspeople were livid and en masse, they sped to Moishe's house, determined to punish him. When they burst through the door, there was Moishe in front of the fire where his soup was cooking. He was on his knees, desperately saying a prayer...."Domini domini domini, once a chicken, now a fish".

PS Catholics do "real fasting" on Ash Wednesday and again on Good Friday, where food is usually not consumed until dinner time. (The "rule" is only one meal eaten on that day).

by Anonymousreply 102March 18, 2023 9:49 AM

Would the opposite be done? Answer is no and answer is no!

by Anonymousreply 103March 18, 2023 9:51 AM

Among Christians the various Eastern churches, Eastern Orthodox, Eastern Rite Catholics, etc. observe pretty harsh fasts during Lent. Basically no animal products the whole time and no olive oil (their churches basically originated in the eastern Mediterranean area, including the Middle East, so this is harsh.) Probably observed more in the breach but nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 104March 18, 2023 10:00 AM

OP, why don’t you just focus on Lent and meditate on Jesus’ suffering and sacrifices…which is what Catholics are supposed to be doing during this time, and not worrying about what Muslims are doing?

by Anonymousreply 105March 18, 2023 12:04 PM

Since Vatican Council II it's certainly acceptable for Catholics to pray for people of another faith, including non-Christians.

by Anonymousreply 106March 18, 2023 12:12 PM

I don't know whether you ignored me or have me on block Greg, but seriously, aren't you worried about some unhinged DLer working out who you are based on your posts about your life in Boston?

by Anonymousreply 107March 18, 2023 12:28 PM

[quote] This is a question for you OP: can you sincerely explain why you've decided to part of a group that despises gay men and lesbians?

It doesn’t despise gay men and lesbians.

[quote] Don't you see a contradiction in what you're doing? How do you reconcile being a gay man and being part of a group that hates gay men?

No, I don’t. It doesn’t hate gay men. Many priests I know are gay.

[quote] Of course, the elephant in the room is that you're not a gay man. Are you actually a woman who is cos-playing as a gay man?

What difference does it make?

[quote] And if it's a faith community you're looking for, why not attend a church that is gay-affirming?

I never said I am looking for a faith community. But thanks for your interest.

by Anonymousreply 108March 18, 2023 12:48 PM

I assume R34 is a parody post from the Onion.

by Anonymousreply 109March 18, 2023 12:49 PM

[quite] OP, why don’t you just focus on Lent and meditate on Jesus’ suffering and sacrifices…which is what Catholics are supposed to be doing during this time, and not worrying about what Muslims are doing?

R105, why don’t you stop being so insulting? You have no idea what you’re talking about. I believe my church is focusing plenty on Lent. But the rest of life doesn’t stop. And we’re not worrying about what Muslims are doing. You’re an idiot.

by Anonymousreply 110March 18, 2023 12:52 PM

No, R109, why would you think that?

by Anonymousreply 111March 18, 2023 12:53 PM

[quote] Op, weren't you the one who had the Juneteenth BBQ? Maybe you are better off sticking to your prunes in clam sauce.

Another member of the Datalounge intelligentsia.

by Anonymousreply 112March 18, 2023 12:57 PM

Isn’t culturally relevant stuff so others can admire it and want to be part of it? So you own braids now, black women? But yet you can straighten and bleach blonde your hair and no one calls you “cultural appropriating?”

by Anonymousreply 113March 18, 2023 1:00 PM

[quote] I assume [R34] is a parody post from the Onion.

Why?

by Anonymousreply 114March 18, 2023 1:00 PM

[quote] Are you actually a woman who is cos-playing as a gay man?

Can you do that? I need to check my Datalounge owner's manual.

by Anonymousreply 115March 18, 2023 2:21 PM

op, drop dead murderers

by Anonymousreply 116March 18, 2023 2:31 PM

[quote] I don't think honoring the religious traditions of other people is cultural appropriation,

R102 "Honoring" is a nebulous term. Being invited to a Passover seder as a guest may be "honoring" your hosts but it is most certainly is not "honoring" the injunction (not tradition) to retell the story of the liberation from slavery/going out from Egypt, since that injunction is not incumbent upon non-Jews. Non-Jews preparing a feast or otherwise "celebrating" a holiday with which they have no connection is very much cultural theft and as previously mentioned, ludicrous.

[quote] Both Judaism and Islam have many precepts about sheltering strangers.

Jewish law has TWO injunctions about sheltering the JEWISH stranger within the JEWISH community:

Vayikra19:33-34 -

וְכִֽי־יָג֧וּר אִתְּךָ֛ גֵּ֖ר בְּאַרְצְכֶ֑ם לֹ֥א תוֹנ֖וּ אֹתֽוֹ:

כְּאֶזְרָ֣ח מִכֶּם֩ יִֽהְיֶ֨ה לָכֶ֜ם הַגֵּ֣ר | הַגָּ֣ר אִתְּכֶ֗ם וְאָֽהַבְתָּ֥ לוֹ֙ כָּמ֔וֹךָ כִּֽי־גֵרִ֥ים הֱיִיתֶ֖ם בְּאֶ֣רֶץ מִצְרָ֑יִם

by Anonymousreply 117March 18, 2023 2:41 PM

You should send a delegation to a Muslim-hosted Iftar and invite a Muslim delegation to attend a titty-bearing, hard-drinking Mardi Gras celebration.

by Anonymousreply 118March 18, 2023 2:44 PM

Addendum to R117

גר in this instance can be either a stranger, someone sojourning in the community who is completely unknown by anyone in the community. Or it can be a non-Jew who accepts/adopts the laws and customs of the Jewish nation.

by Anonymousreply 119March 18, 2023 2:48 PM

I have attended an Iftar meal during Ramadan as a guest. I have attended an Eid al fitr meal at the end of Ramadan as a guest. I see no harm or insult in wanting to acknowledge Muslim traditions. I have Jewish friends who regularly celebrate Christmas and I don't regard it as "cultural appropriation." Now. maybe you may want to do a joint celebration so some of you will feel more comfortable. Celebrate with Muslims. Becoming aware is not appropriating.

by Anonymousreply 120March 18, 2023 2:58 PM

[quote] Becoming aware is not appropriating.

Being a guest at a cultural event is being aware. Recreating a cultural event with which you have no connection is very much cultural theft.

Jews celebrate Xtian holidays because they are both a tiny minority in someone else's country and have lost/jettisoned their identity.

by Anonymousreply 121March 18, 2023 3:03 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 18, 2023 3:05 PM

I understand going to a gay affirming Catholic parish if one was raised Catholic and wanted to maintain some connection to the faith and have some form of spirituality. It’s Greg’s decision and it’s not a terrible one. Granted the Episcopal Church is more gay affirming, less hypocritical than to the Catholic one but not everyone wants to be Pete and Chasten. Greg said he was Italian American. The Episcopal Churches I’ve visited are very white and still affect a certain middle class Waspiness. The gay men there are all put together and a lot like Pete and Chasten.

by Anonymousreply 123March 18, 2023 3:13 PM

Yes, I too would prefer to go to a Catholic parish than hang out with Pete and Chasten clones.

by Anonymousreply 124March 18, 2023 3:15 PM

R124 That's interesting.

So instead of hanging out with and out and proud gay couple you would rather hang with self-hating closet cases in the Catholic Church.

And for the record, there are no "gay-affirming" Catholic churches. Name one where they will allow a gay couple to marry.

by Anonymousreply 125March 18, 2023 3:19 PM

I just don’t like pretend Wasps like Pete and Chasten.

by Anonymousreply 126March 18, 2023 3:21 PM

R126 You're contradicting yourself. In one comment you said that you don't like Pete & Chasten because they're too waspy and now you say they're not waspy enough.

And by the way, how old are you? Who the fuck says "wasp" anymore?

by Anonymousreply 127March 18, 2023 3:25 PM

[quote] self-hating closet cases in the Catholic Church.

Hardly. My church has a very active LGBTQ group and they have hosted a gay film series, they do volunteer work with PFLAG and also with an organization that takes in LGBTQ youth when they are kicked out of their homes. We have had many funerals for gay people where their spouse is exactly where any spouse should be at a funeral. We have parishioners marching in the Pride parade with a church banner. We usually have parishioners handing out brochures at Pride telling people how welcome and loved they’d be at our church. Anyway, R125, you don’t know everything.

by Anonymousreply 128March 18, 2023 3:28 PM

R128 What concrete steps have you taken to help the numerous gay and lesbians teachers and admins who have been fired from Catholic schools?

by Anonymousreply 129March 18, 2023 3:30 PM

I don’t like wasps and I like pretend wasps even more. No contradiction.

by Anonymousreply 130March 18, 2023 3:32 PM

dislike even more^

by Anonymousreply 131March 18, 2023 3:33 PM

Nothing, R129.

It has been stated by the Cardinal-Archbishop of Boston that gay people will not ever be fired from any Catholic institution, including schools, for being gay, including gay people in partnerships.

I’m afraid I have no power in other dioceses.

Though we have had parishioners create petitions to say how outrageous it is when that happens. In particular with that Jesuit middle school in Worcester that list its Catholic identity (technically) because they refused to take down their BLM and rainbow flags from in front of the school.

by Anonymousreply 132March 18, 2023 3:44 PM

^ list = ‘lost’

To be clear, the Archbishop of Boston is only speaking about the Archdiocese of Boston. He only has jurisdiction there.

by Anonymousreply 133March 18, 2023 3:46 PM

Greg,

I like your posts and think you’re probably a sensitive and sweet guy. I’m curious how old you are. Would you mind sharing?

The only gays I know who are still practicing Catholics are over 50 (mostly 60+). I’m significantly younger than that and was raised Catholic. However, I told my parents I refuse to go to church with them or support the Catholic regime. I understand why some people are drawn to it, but even if a handful of parishes are good, the organization as a whole has some very discriminatory practices and I don’t want to endorse it in any way. I am still somewhat spiritual, but I don’t talk about it in public and am somewhat turned off by people younger people who let you know “I’m a Christian” or “I’m a Jew” or “I’m a Muslim.” If they’re older, I kind of give them a pass. It just seems like those types of people are insular and also feel they are superior to those who don’t share their religion. I’m not saying you’re that way, but many are.

by Anonymousreply 134March 18, 2023 3:59 PM

I Walked away from the Catholic Church after the sex scandals and the cover up. I now attend an Episcopal Church and they are WONDERFULLLL!

by Anonymousreply 135March 18, 2023 4:12 PM

There was a video on my FB feed with some big douche crying cultural appropriation because some little girl in his daughters class got her hair braided because her friend, who was a little black girl, had the same style and she liked it. I posted a comment reminded him that women have been braiding their hair for centuries all over the world in that same style, and she was just a little girl who wanted to look pretty - she wasn't appropriating any culture - I mean is this BS ever going to stop? It detracts us from people who really are doing harmful things....like the drunk guy at the Christmas party who put his hand on your ass is not the same thing as the CEO who is pressuring women to have sex with him to keep their jobs, yet, they are both treated the same.

by Anonymousreply 136March 18, 2023 4:18 PM

R134 — 56

by Anonymousreply 137March 18, 2023 6:12 PM

And, R134, my church has quite a few younger gay practicing Catholics. Even converts to Catholicism who are gay and lesbian. We also have children with two mothers or two fathers. And we have younger trans and non-binary parishioners. We also have people leading ministries who are both gay and trans. There’s no problem with it.

by Anonymousreply 138March 18, 2023 6:15 PM

Here’s the thing about those who think they’re attending a “welcoming” Catholic church. If you’re having gay sex you are fornicating. Fornication is a mortal sin. If you go to Confession and willfully omit a mortal sin, your confession is invalid, as are all future confessions until you confess the mortal sin you’re hiding. So if you’re a practicing Catholic attending mass, and you’re a sexually active gay man, then I assume you are confessing your fornicating. However if you have no intention of refraining from this same mortal sin in the future, your confession is invalid. The Catholic faith is not a cafeteria. You don’t choose only the things you like. It’s all or nothing. So which is it? All or nothing?

by Anonymousreply 139March 18, 2023 7:02 PM

r139 = Ross Douthat

by Anonymousreply 140March 18, 2023 7:03 PM

^I don’t believe what I wrote! I’m just explaining what the church teaches.

by Anonymousreply 141March 18, 2023 7:11 PM

Greg/r138, what's your opinion of Catholics who attend Mass daily? Devout or fanatical?

by Anonymousreply 142March 18, 2023 7:19 PM

[quote]The Catholic faith is not a cafeteria. You don’t choose only the things you like.

And yet virtually every church-going Catholic does. Very few of the faithful are confessing contraception - also a mortal sin, and employed by up to 90% of Catholics at some point in their lives - to their priests.

by Anonymousreply 143March 18, 2023 7:38 PM

[quote] Greg/[R138], what's your opinion of Catholics who attend Mass daily? Devout or fanatical?

Devout. Though it’s possible that individuals are fanatical. But being a daily communicant doesn’t make one fanatical. We have a lovely group of about 12 daily communicants. They are good, generous people.

by Anonymousreply 144March 18, 2023 7:51 PM

People associate Islam with brown Middle Easterner/North African. Ignoring millions of Muslims are also black, white and Asian due to Islam's spread to Subsaharan Africa, Eastern/Southern Europe and South and Southeast Asia.

Also many MENA people are Christian and Jewish, as well as practice other religions like Zoroastrianism and Mandaeism.

by Anonymousreply 145March 18, 2023 7:52 PM

Thanks r144

by Anonymousreply 146March 18, 2023 7:57 PM

[quote] And yet virtually every church-going Catholic does. Very few of the faithful are confessing contraception

Because, R143, the Catholic Church teaches primacy of conscience—that people are obliged to follow their (informed) conscience, even if is not in agreement with Church teaching. We will be judged according to our conscience.

by Anonymousreply 147March 18, 2023 8:00 PM

[quote] The Catholic faith is not a cafeteria. You don’t choose only the things you like. It’s all or nothing. So which is it? All or nothing?

That is a juvenile, uninformed, and inadequate explanation. You’ve left out the role of conscience.

by Anonymousreply 148March 18, 2023 8:38 PM

[quote]My church has a very active LGBTQ group and they have hosted a gay film series, they do volunteer work with PFLAG and also with an organization that takes in LGBTQ youth when they are kicked out of their homes.

No Catholic Church does any of that.

by Anonymousreply 149March 18, 2023 9:58 PM

[quote] No Catholic Church does any of that.

Oh okay, R149. I must belong to a different church.

There are plenty of links to my church above, asshole. Go look for yourself. Idiot.

by Anonymousreply 150March 18, 2023 10:02 PM

Greg, I have to admit, you're growing on me

by Anonymousreply 151March 18, 2023 10:51 PM

Hello, R151. To what do I owe the pleasure?

Glad I’m growing on you.

by Anonymousreply 152March 18, 2023 10:58 PM

Sorry guys - but I have a serious problem with jerks like R149. He has no idea what he’s talking about, makes statements that are false, and is just really stupid.

by Anonymousreply 153March 18, 2023 11:00 PM

What I'm getting at is Catholics can believe what they want if they feel it's just and consistent with their conscience. But why still be associated with the Vatican that's anti-gay and anti-woman? I get wanting to maintain your culture and community. And upholding Apostolic traditions but many high churches do this especially Episcopalians and some Lutherans and Methodists and they allow gay marriage and female pastors.

Shouldn't Catholics who still actively practice and support gay marriage, women as priests and abortion rights just create their own denomination?

by Anonymousreply 154March 18, 2023 11:48 PM

R154 “shouldn’t they”? I honestly never understood people deciding what others “should” do in matters of conscience especially when they are highly personal and often influenced by many factors. Don’t you grasp that such issues are complex and maybe it’s best to try to let people make judgements without imposing a “should”?

by Anonymousreply 155March 19, 2023 12:06 AM

Barfburgers.

by Anonymousreply 156March 19, 2023 12:12 AM

Greg is a frau, it is so obvious.

by Anonymousreply 157March 19, 2023 3:15 AM

When I was a kid in religion class we learned that the purpose of marriage was for the procreation of children. We learned sex outside of marriage was a mortal sin. No Pope has ever indicated that any of this had c hanged to accommodate modern times. Sex outside marriage is still a mortal sin, and marriage is still primarily for the procreation of children. So basically what R139 is saying about the church is correct. And it leaves no room for Gay sex or Gay marriage. The modern church says being Gay is not a sin, but having sex is. Go figure.

by Anonymousreply 158March 19, 2023 3:43 AM

Greg, seriously, are you trying to be identified? You may as well post your own pic at this point, because it won't be long until someone you've pissed off here posts you in the OP of a Womanly Asses thread. Not hating, I am genuinely alarmed by how unconcerned you seem to be about your cyber safety.

by Anonymousreply 159March 19, 2023 3:47 AM

R139 is a narcissistic and uninformed cunt. Educate yourself, bitch, or listen to Greg and R143. You sound like a pre-Vatican II member of the John Birch Society.

by Anonymousreply 160March 19, 2023 8:06 AM

R160, yes most Catholics break the rules and pick and choose. But the rules have not changed.

by Anonymousreply 161March 19, 2023 2:53 PM

You know, here's what I don't get. Yes., there are rules. I remember as a kid if you ate meat on Friday it was a mortal sin and you'd go to hell. Same with missing Sunday Mass. Then suddenly that rule gets thrown out and you can eat meat on Friday, and you can go to mass on Saturday, if you like, and a bunch of other rules get changed about marriage too. Like if a Catholic married a non Catholic they couldn't have a mass and and a bunch of other stuff, and now who gives a shit? Right? Nowhere have I Read in the 10 Commandments about premarital sex. Only that you can't fuck your sister and you can't commit adultery. Coveting is sinful. My point being it ought be that I can have sex whenever I want to as long as the other person is single like me.

by Anonymousreply 162March 19, 2023 2:58 PM

[quote]But the rules have not changed.

You know pretty much nothing about Catholic history (or the history of Christianity, for that matter), r161

by Anonymousreply 163March 19, 2023 2:58 PM

Greg's religion is his business. If you don't like Catholicism, don't practice it. Greg, tell us what your congregation ended up doing.

by Anonymousreply 164March 19, 2023 3:17 PM

Greg is lined out.

by Anonymousreply 165March 19, 2023 4:25 PM

That just means a lot of posters F&Fed him, r165. He hasn't actually been red tagged.

by Anonymousreply 166March 19, 2023 4:30 PM

r166, "red tagged?" what does that mean?

by Anonymousreply 167March 19, 2023 4:32 PM

It means that Muriel has flagged them as a troll and they can no longer post on DL -- at least from the account/IP address they had been using.

by Anonymousreply 168March 19, 2023 4:33 PM

[quote] It means that Muriel has flagged them as a troll and they can no longer post on DL -- at least from the account/IP address they had been using.

Very interesting.

by Anonymousreply 169March 19, 2023 6:07 PM

It's switched IP numbers. Some of his replies are gray lined. Others, like above, aren't.

by Anonymousreply 170March 19, 2023 6:13 PM

[quote]My point being it ought be that I can have sex whenever I want to as long as the other person is single like me.

Of course you can. But the Catholic prohibition against premarital sex is constructed on a much broader foundation than the Ten Commandments.

Not that it matters much, since I don't know a single Catholic couple married after 1980 or so that observed this particular tenet.

by Anonymousreply 171March 19, 2023 6:17 PM

That has no bearing on it, r170. Individual replies from users can become greylined if they receive too many F&Fs. They might also get a time out.

When Muriel red tags a troll, that's totally different. All their posts became greylined and they are labeled Troll 3942 (or whatever).

by Anonymousreply 172March 19, 2023 6:25 PM

That makes sense of it, R172. Thx. I guess the trollmark of shame comes after cumulatively too many F&F. No doubt this lady's day will come.

by Anonymousreply 173March 19, 2023 6:35 PM

And there was a long gap in its replies. Maybe the time out.

by Anonymousreply 174March 19, 2023 6:36 PM

Yawn

by Anonymousreply 175March 19, 2023 8:04 PM

I have my account set on asbestos eyeballs and he’s grayed out for me, so there must have been a lot of FFs.

Anyho, to the person above who talked about meat on Fridays and Saturday mass. I was taught it was not eating meat on Fridays that sent you to hell but intentional violation of the Church’s rule against eating meat on a Friday. (Crazy of course.) Apparently it became popular and almost universal for bishops to just do away with the rule after Vatican II. I’m told the Catholics in England must still observe it as it is still the local rule there. (May not be true.) Saturday mass in the evening fulfilling Sunday obligation is also post Vatican II and is an adaptation of the Jewish custom that he holy day begins the night before. I suspect this was done in Catholicism in the past and discontinued. I’m no expert just your average Catholic Joe over 60. In special circumstances a local bishop (called the ordinary) can designate any day a day to fulfill the Sunday obligation. I saw this in the far north of Canada where there was one priest serving an immense region. He would travel around and the bishop had designated Thursday as the ok day in one Native village and Tuesday that day in another.

by Anonymousreply 176March 19, 2023 8:27 PM

The Saturday evening (must be 4:00 or later) anticipatory Mass was permitted as a Mass of convenience for people who could not make it to Mass on Sunday because of hardship (work). It was not conceived as something for just anyone to attend—though that is exactly what has happened.

And, like R176 said, the Catholic Church marks time in a similar way to Judaism. One day (liturgically speaking) begins at sundown on the previous day. Hence Christmas Eve, the Eve of Easter, etc.

by Anonymousreply 177March 19, 2023 8:35 PM

[quote] No doubt this lady's day will come.

What a big queen you are. Embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 178March 19, 2023 8:37 PM

If I'm a big queen, so be it. Better that than the kind of gay man who mocks others for who they are as gay men, you filth. Some Christian. Some gay man. You just expose your rotten, twisted self more every day.

by Anonymousreply 179March 19, 2023 10:11 PM

[quote] If I'm a big queen, so be it. Better that than the kind of gay man who mocks others for who they are as gay men, you filth. Some Christian. Some gay man. You just expose your rotten, twisted self more every day.

If I mock you, R179, it’s only because you desperately deserve it. Just how do I mock others “for who they are as gay men?” Tell us.

You did refer to me as a lady, didn’t you?

Now go back to your room and don’t come out until you can act like a big boy.

by Anonymousreply 180March 19, 2023 10:26 PM

I suppose as a bad Catholic your interest in boys had to surface eventually.

by Anonymousreply 181March 19, 2023 10:36 PM

R181, I don’t share your enthusiasm for making jokes about child rape and the sexual abuse of children.

And the people who gave you a ‘WW’ are nearly as bad.

by Anonymousreply 182March 19, 2023 11:24 PM

We're still better than you, asshole. And it wasn't a joke, it was an insult.

by Anonymousreply 183March 19, 2023 11:39 PM

How the fuck did this thread go from A to Z so quick. Dear lord.

by Anonymousreply 184March 19, 2023 11:39 PM

[quote] We're still better than you, asshole. And it wasn't a joke, it was an insult.

Oh. Very interesting.

1. While some may be better than me (whatever that means), I am confident that you are not among them.

2. It was a joke. You should admit to yourself that you joke about child rape and the sexual abuse of children.

Or - tell me right now that you think it’s appropriate to insult someone by suggesting they are sexual abusers. Is that what you think? It’s what you said.

Please grow up and think twice about your insults or jokes.

by Anonymousreply 185March 19, 2023 11:45 PM

[quote] How the fuck did this thread go from A to Z so quick. Dear lord.

Is that a real question, R184?

by Anonymousreply 186March 19, 2023 11:46 PM

Sorry — “better than I” at R185.

by Anonymousreply 187March 19, 2023 11:50 PM

The "we ate meat on Friday" circle of Hell really is the most embarrassing district. I mean, we torture them horribly, but still, it's just more a chore than a pleasure.

by Anonymousreply 188March 19, 2023 11:58 PM

Greg, I have questioned you multiple times about your flippant attitude towards protecting your real life identity. Yet you respond in a timely fashion to your detractors. Am I not worthy of a response? I'm genuinely curious. You've revealed much of yourself in an anonymous (and extremely bitchy) forum. That takes some balls.

by Anonymousreply 189March 20, 2023 12:01 AM

R189, I am not concerned.

And I have balls.

How are you? Are you in the UK?

by Anonymousreply 190March 20, 2023 12:06 AM

No, I'm Australian. I used to take the piss out of you in your earlier days, but I have to admit Greg that you're growing on me. You are obviously an intelligent bloke and rather funny. Respect to you, mate.

by Anonymousreply 191March 20, 2023 12:16 AM

Greg's growing on me too, r191

by Anonymousreply 192March 20, 2023 12:22 AM

R191, I’m glad you’ve had a change of heart. You are in the minority.

I touch many nerves out here. And most would disagree with you regarding my being amusing.

I appreciate your kindness.

by Anonymousreply 193March 20, 2023 12:24 AM

Awww … R192.

I’m glad I am.

by Anonymousreply 194March 20, 2023 2:25 AM

[quote] Surprised it was NOT a Jezzie parish, I meant to say.

R63/R64: they are never called "Jezzies."

They are often referred to casually as the "Jebbies."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195March 20, 2023 4:27 PM

Since we're so off topic here, I'll mention that I like Greg.

Greg, while home for Christmas, I made one of your recipes (chicken with mustard sauce) for my finicky parents and it went over well. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 196March 20, 2023 6:21 PM

I'm so happy to hear that, R196. And I'm glad your finicky parents liked it as well.

I hope you're having a nice day.

by Anonymousreply 197March 20, 2023 6:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!