Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'The Other Two' season 3

Premieres on HBO Max May 4.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328August 29, 2023 4:32 PM

Loving Drew Tarver. Looking forward to the new season.

by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2023 3:09 PM

This show is awesome.

by Anonymousreply 2March 17, 2023 3:10 PM

I love this programme so much #feet

by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2023 3:11 PM

I watch the two seasons about five times already, I’m primed and ready!

by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2023 4:18 PM

No more feet, please.

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2023 5:10 PM

Trailer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 24, 2023 10:24 PM

I love this show!

by Anonymousreply 7April 24, 2023 10:25 PM

I'm so happy we got this season, it will probably be the last one unless we get real lucky.

by Anonymousreply 8April 24, 2023 10:34 PM

I don't find a lot of shows funny but this one I do!

by Anonymousreply 9April 26, 2023 11:44 PM

First two episodes are out and they are as funny as ever. Cary hawking an old project after everyone had already moved on was so on point for a minor celeb, I see shit like that constantly.

Lots of shirtlessness going around as well, which is always appreciated.

by Anonymousreply 10May 4, 2023 7:38 PM

Oh I can't wait to get home from work to watch this!

by Anonymousreply 11May 4, 2023 7:39 PM

The "did you run home holding sparklers"? plot killed me. So good to see Curtis. Were the love interest's eyebrows real? I also howled at the Night Nurse stuff, the armpit stuff, the vampire teeth, Brooke hating on nurses and of course Pat as a billionaire

by Anonymousreply 12May 8, 2023 12:51 PM

The naked guy getting dressed after hooking up with Cary had a dirty ass. Ewww.

by Anonymousreply 13May 8, 2023 9:25 PM

He did not have a dirty ass, he was just super hairy. I know because I rewound several times as it made my mouth water immediately. I personally love it when guys are so hairy down there, it's a whole separate adventure finding their hole.

And he was a rare 11, by the way. Just so beautiful, he makes 10s feel self-conscious. That was a whole separate joke because obviously Cary is an 8.

by Anonymousreply 14May 9, 2023 3:56 AM

How do you people watch 100s of hours of TV per week?

by Anonymousreply 15May 9, 2023 4:02 AM

I watch a lot of mine while sleeping.

by Anonymousreply 16May 9, 2023 4:06 AM

It's just 30 tight minutes of hilarity, so it's not exactly a challenge. Also, this is a gay-heavy show and you're on a homosexual message board, so maybe ask that question in the gayless Succession thread instead?

by Anonymousreply 17May 9, 2023 4:10 AM

I’ve always read Roman as Gay and his eyes just about fell out of his head when Alexander Scarsguard whipped out his junk and peed in front of him.

by Anonymousreply 18May 9, 2023 4:15 AM

I've read Roman as gay too, but Reddit will have your head for suggesting that. They'll just point to his Gerry stuff as proof that he's aggressively straight.

In any case, I obviously prefer shows where you don't have to parse out from vague clues that someone is gay. That seems a dated way of treating gay characters at this point.

by Anonymousreply 19May 9, 2023 4:23 AM

I swear the vampiric storyline of Chase’s 18th birthday were inspired by LPSG’s 18 and above circling of young guys before they can be posted about.

by Anonymousreply 20May 9, 2023 4:27 AM

Other than Drag Race, this is the gayest show on TV and it’s hilariously funny. I hope S3 is as funny as S2.

by Anonymousreply 21May 9, 2023 11:16 AM

Cary is a 7 at best. What’s with that little grove of hair in the middle of his chest? And 33? lol

His teen method actor love interest had amazing pits though. Given the episode’s title, I figure that’s why he was cast.

by Anonymousreply 22May 9, 2023 2:49 PM

The plotline about Chase's pit pic was such a perfect thought, when this show is in the zone it nails the entertainment industry perfectly.

Also Drew Tarber clearly was hitting the gym before this season, he is more toned and they are giving him a lot more shirtless scenes.

Josh Segerra continues to be the most talented part of this cast though.

by Anonymousreply 23May 9, 2023 2:53 PM

Did he do to the Jason Bateman drama academy?

by Anonymousreply 24May 9, 2023 3:19 PM

I’m a huge fan of the first two seasons and turned off the 1st episode of season 3 after they left the theater. Maybe I’ll try it again but I thought it was painfully bad. Not one decent joke.

by Anonymousreply 25May 9, 2023 3:24 PM

Drew has a slightly impacted chest, hence the chest hair which helps to optically fill out the cavity.

Love Josh Segarra's developing dad bod, his frau has obviously been feeding him well.

by Anonymousreply 26May 9, 2023 3:25 PM

Josh Segarra plays the exact same character in every project he does.

by Anonymousreply 27May 9, 2023 6:54 PM

R27 he's hot, but yeah...bland AF

by Anonymousreply 28May 9, 2023 6:55 PM

I don't think so, he played a completely different character in that RuPaul show and in the Scream movie. So there is some range hiding underneath that beautiful, [italic]beautiful[/italic] exterior. Another example of an 11.

by Anonymousreply 29May 9, 2023 6:58 PM

R29 he was Generic Hot Boyfriend in Scream. Not much to it.

by Anonymousreply 30May 9, 2023 7:01 PM

I loved the first two seasons but not enjoying this season as much.

by Anonymousreply 31May 9, 2023 7:04 PM

If the mom is a billionaire why not buy Cary a decent apartment?

by Anonymousreply 32May 9, 2023 7:07 PM

[quote] Josh Segarra plays the exact same character in every project he does.

His character in CW's Arrow was quite different.

by Anonymousreply 33May 9, 2023 7:07 PM

Exactly. Whatever, people are just jealous of his elevenness.

by Anonymousreply 34May 9, 2023 7:09 PM

Jeez, just watched the first episode and it's painfully bad. At least there used to be some semblance of reality. Now it's just all over the top and really stupid. Is the 2nd episode any better?

by Anonymousreply 35May 10, 2023 8:31 PM

R35 It's not a documentary, hun.

by Anonymousreply 36May 10, 2023 8:35 PM

I thought episode 2 was better than episode 1, for those that didn't like the premiere.

by Anonymousreply 37May 10, 2023 8:38 PM

[quote]At least there used to be some semblance of reality.

Were we watching the same show?

by Anonymousreply 38May 10, 2023 8:47 PM

"Tonight's party is in the Hamptons. Ellen is throwing herself a big birthday bash, and great news, everyone: she has agreed not to come so everyone can enjoy it!"

I guffawed, particularly because it was Wanda Sykes' character who said it.

by Anonymousreply 39May 12, 2023 5:06 AM

Agree - first two episodes of S3 are disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 40May 12, 2023 6:43 AM

I'm starting to agree that this season has lost the plot. Brooke being literally invisible because she's "not in the industry" was so fucking stupid. It would've been a lot funnier and realistic if people just stopped paying attention to her when she said she was a nobody.

And Cary's new boyfriend needs to disappear.

by Anonymousreply 41May 12, 2023 7:23 AM

I thought this was a hilarious episode. Loved the surreal elements, thought they made it even funnier.

Cary's new bf is horrible. He was literally schtupping an 11 in the first or the second episode, why go for this weirdo? I guess the hard to get part is what appeals to him. Also, something tells me his gay friend won't take more of that horrible one-way attitude for much longer.

by Anonymousreply 42May 12, 2023 7:47 AM

Because of Cary, he got to see Dylan Obrien naked!

by Anonymousreply 43May 12, 2023 7:52 AM

I love how Brooke wrote "What happened to DaBaby?" on the mirror instead of using the opportunity to write "It's Brooke Dubek, why can't anyone see me?!"

r43 Oh, yeah, that's true. I didn't even recognise him as the Teen Wolf guy until I googled him just now. He looks so different with facial hair.

by Anonymousreply 44May 12, 2023 8:00 AM

Has it been explained what kind of famous Pat is? Is she basically Oprah? GOOP?

by Anonymousreply 45May 12, 2023 8:09 AM

She got her own talk show but now owns a whole TV network and is a billionaire.

by Anonymousreply 46May 12, 2023 8:12 AM

So she's basically Oprah. But if she's so famous that she can't even step outside, shouldn't the kids have plenty of second degree fame?

by Anonymousreply 47May 12, 2023 8:14 AM

And they're getting some here and there, but that's the running joke tied to the name of the show, i.e. they're largely still nobodies despite everything. Similar to how their little brother was the star in the first and the second season and they occasionally got a shitty gig or two out of it.

by Anonymousreply 48May 12, 2023 8:20 AM

There's Chase, and Pat, and then there's Mau ... the other two.

by Anonymousreply 49May 12, 2023 8:50 AM

Drew Tarver is wearing an obvious rug and needs Whitestrips.

by Anonymousreply 50May 13, 2023 1:22 AM

Helene Yorke had an excellent season 2, and she's really building on it. She's so good. She needs her own show.

by Anonymousreply 51May 13, 2023 1:29 AM

[quote]Helene Yorke had an excellent season 2, and she's really building on it. She's so good. She needs her own show.

She reminds me a bit of Becki Newton from Ugly Betty: a really talented comedian who also happens to be a beauty.

by Anonymousreply 52May 13, 2023 1:36 AM

S3E3 was horrific. The first x2 eps of this season had me laughing so hard my partner wanted to join in watching. I was watching the 3rd one alone today and didn't laugh once.

by Anonymousreply 53May 13, 2023 4:45 AM

Funny, I had the completely opposite reaction. I thought episodes 1 & 2 were off, but found episode 3 to be a return to form.

by Anonymousreply 54May 13, 2023 8:07 PM

Third episode was maybe too inside baseball for some, I thought it was hilarious because I am familiar with "the industry".

by Anonymousreply 55May 13, 2023 8:38 PM

I just watched Episode 1 on Season 3, and was disappointed. Why was Brooke being such a cunt about nurses and essential workers — and such an unreasonable bitch to her sweet boyfriend? Hope this improves.

by Anonymousreply 56May 13, 2023 9:34 PM

Her being a monumental cunt towards such a valued profession IS the whole joke. "We all banged the pots, didn't we?" in particular made me guffaw.

by Anonymousreply 57May 13, 2023 9:42 PM

*or pans, I think it was

by Anonymousreply 58May 13, 2023 9:44 PM

I assume that Curtis is about to become more successful than Cary, driving the latter to new heights of terribleness.

by Anonymousreply 59May 14, 2023 12:28 PM

r59 Definitely. Their dynamic right now is a great commentary on those self-involved friends who just take, take, take. I admit I used to be one of those as well, but that was back during teen years, Cary has no such excuse at his age.

by Anonymousreply 60May 14, 2023 12:34 PM

R53 you mean it’s gets worse than the first 2 episodes? WTF happened to this show? Seriously it’s a shame it’s so not funny and this is from someone who loved the first two seasons and was so looking forward to the third.

by Anonymousreply 61May 14, 2023 12:48 PM

I mean, the opinion is obviously very much divided, I still find it hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 62May 14, 2023 12:51 PM

The second episode has a downer type of ending. The whole family, except Chase, is miserable. Pat power walking around the pool like a prisoner in her own home at night with the bodyguard standing by was so sad.

by Anonymousreply 63May 14, 2023 1:05 PM

I hope that the show doesn't try to get serious this season but it looks that way with Cary and his friend on their way to having some sort of confrontation and Brooke deciding to do something "meaningful" with her life. Still, I'll watch because I like the gay content and that's hard to find on TV.

by Anonymousreply 64May 14, 2023 2:02 PM

They do a great job skewering out current celebrity/social media culture and how vapid and shallow it is.

by Anonymousreply 65May 14, 2023 11:55 PM

I'm impressed that Dylan O'Brien was game for that cameo. His job was just to show up, take his shirt off and have gay guys fawn over him.

by Anonymousreply 66May 15, 2023 12:00 AM

Cary offering hole to his boyfriend in character for a Hallmark Christmas movie was hilarious 😆!

by Anonymousreply 67May 15, 2023 12:07 AM

The third episode is the best so far. The show really excels at snarking on our vapid celebrity culture.

by Anonymousreply 68May 16, 2023 2:01 AM

People seem to be having the Seinfeld problem with this show. They want to connect with these characters, then get put off when the characters act like jerks. Like Seinfeld, The Other Two is not aspirational comedy - it’s more satire and a cynical observation of human behavior. You might like some of these people, but if you start looking up to them or see them as some sort of role models, you’re going to be disappointed.

by Anonymousreply 69May 16, 2023 3:01 AM

r69 I've never understood why people always need characters to be likable or aspirational. Some of the best tv shows and movies are about people who are selfish, self-absorbed assholes clawing their way to get ahead.

by Anonymousreply 70May 16, 2023 3:09 AM

I agree with r70. Absolutely Fabulous and Difficult People worked, because you just wanted to see the unlikable leads fail in spectacular ways.

by Anonymousreply 71May 16, 2023 4:53 AM

If you need to have comedy explained to you, skip this show.

by Anonymousreply 72May 16, 2023 4:59 AM

AbFab is a great example r71. Patsy and Edina were two horrible people with no redeeming qualities whatsoever and if they existed in real life you would run away screaming from them in two minutes, but as fictional characters they were both laugh out loud hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 73May 16, 2023 5:06 AM

Cary and Brooke can be entirely self involved, but they also genuinely care about their little brother and mom.

by Anonymousreply 74May 16, 2023 6:20 PM

The latest episode is genius.

by Anonymousreply 75May 18, 2023 9:23 AM

I really enjoyed this show so v. glad to see it back.

by Anonymousreply 76May 18, 2023 9:26 AM

Ah, an homage of Pleasantville, I see.

by Anonymousreply 77May 18, 2023 10:44 AM

Holy crap, that was hysterical. Brooke in the intro doing blue-collar drag in comfortable slip-ons with a self-satisfied look on her face as she changed her bio to BLM and added the pronouns, then applying for a job with AOC while in full AOC drag. Almost choked on my lunch when I saw the dirt on her teeth. But what happened at the very end there? Did she realise her life sucked up to that point? That Lance was pretending to be supportive this whole time, all the while secretly thinking her previous industry job sucked? Or that this is her life now? Guess we'll see next week.

Had to pause several times to take in all the writing on the wall. Hire lesbians (but nice), gay people with braces, someone who is burned all over... but pay none of them.

by Anonymousreply 78May 18, 2023 12:25 PM

[quote] But what happened at the very end there? Did she realise her life sucked up to that point? That Lance was pretending to be supportive this whole time, all the while secretly thinking her previous industry job sucked?

A lot of people complain either about their own lives (making themselves small in order to look humble) or someone they love, but when someone else joins, they get kind of angry (defending themselves or the one they hate/love) at that someone for being so mean.

by Anonymousreply 79May 18, 2023 1:48 PM

r79 Oh, I see. Yeah, I could buy Brooke being thin-skinned like that, that would be perfectly on brand for her.

by Anonymousreply 80May 18, 2023 1:51 PM

I started watching the show thanks to DL, and it’s as hilarious as advertised. Molly Shannon is brilliant, and while I enjoy the actors playing “the other two,” the woman who plays Brooke reminds me of a bargain bin Kaitlyn Olson (It’s Always Sunny…)

by Anonymousreply 81May 18, 2023 3:06 PM

First Ali Wong in Beef, now Molly Shannon here... I guess hexagonal glasses are officially a thing now.

Her old-age makeup looked really good for a small show like this.

by Anonymousreply 82May 18, 2023 7:30 PM

Great series! Thanks, OP! I'd have never known without this thread. Can anyone recommend any other series cut from the same absurd comedy cloth?

by Anonymousreply 83May 18, 2023 7:37 PM

r83 Search Party!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84May 18, 2023 7:42 PM

Thanks, R84! I'll give it a look.

by Anonymousreply 85May 18, 2023 8:00 PM

Has the hot roommate come back since season one?

by Anonymousreply 86May 18, 2023 8:19 PM

R83 Difficult People. It's on Hulu. Billy Eichner might be annoying in real life but I laughed my ass off. I think it's 3 seasons.

I miss that show.

by Anonymousreply 87May 18, 2023 8:31 PM

r86 Nope, Cary has moved on to actual gay guys since.

by Anonymousreply 88May 18, 2023 8:37 PM

Episode 4 was way too obvious and broad—all three plot strands.

Jimmy Fowlie is the new Mario Cantone. I don't know why people think he's funny.

And on top of that, Dana Delany looked awful as Emily Overruled. Cardinal sin.

by Anonymousreply 89May 19, 2023 5:07 AM

I didn’t know Helene Yorke was a former roommate of AKB, I’m sure she must have seen those tits all the time, and probably the ass too and maybe even the dick.

by Anonymousreply 90May 19, 2023 5:25 AM

Is Mariska going to sue???

by Anonymousreply 91May 19, 2023 7:18 AM

I blew through 7 episodes of the first season, in one evening. This show is right up my alley, but it’s mildly annoying how Carey’s sexuality is constantly referenced.

by Anonymousreply 92May 19, 2023 8:53 AM

Ok episode. Cary’s fumbled venture into various acting opportunities is more interesting than Brooke’s attempts at being a better person. The best thing about the episode was Josh Segarra in a towel.

by Anonymousreply 93May 19, 2023 1:28 PM

Search Party went from great to godawful in season 2 or 3. I can’t remember which. But by the time Jeff Goldblum showed up the show was unwatchable. I’ve never seen a good show become so bad.

by Anonymousreply 94May 19, 2023 6:51 PM

I did think this episode was the strongest one so far this season. Cary's plotline with the procedural and Brooke's scenes with Jimmy Fowlie worked for me.

[Quote]The best thing about the episode was Josh Segarra in a towel.

Yes, gotta love they had Josh Segerra gratuitously shirtless all episode showing off that hairy chest. Appreciate them giving their gay audience what they know they want.

by Anonymousreply 95May 19, 2023 7:01 PM

I LOVED the first season of this show. The second was decent. This third season has been dire except for the second episode. They've gone way over the top with absurdist humor and visual effects gags. It's gotten so silly and lost any bite it had. This reminds me of Difficult People's trajectory.

by Anonymousreply 96May 19, 2023 7:04 PM

[quote]Search Party went from great to godawful in season 2 or 3.

I disagree, it's just that it changed genres from season to season whereas some people expected it to be the same thing throughout.

by Anonymousreply 97May 19, 2023 7:05 PM

R90 who is AKB?

by Anonymousreply 98May 21, 2023 3:34 PM

AKB is Gay Broadway actor and singer, as well as other media performer, of the big tits - Andrew Keenan-Bolger!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99May 21, 2023 4:08 PM

It really is floundering badly this season. Brooke being invisible at the industry party and Cary leading a rebellion at the courtroom filming were self-indulgent and unfunny. During the latter episode, I actually paused the episode twice to see how much time was left. I’m out.

by Anonymousreply 100May 21, 2023 4:19 PM

I love how that poster assumed we'd all know who AKB was, even though in all the years I've been here this is the very first time I've seen his name on DL.

by Anonymousreply 101May 21, 2023 4:20 PM

I could do with fewer proclamations of people checking out of the show. Simply not posting after you've stopped watching is always an option. Doesn't just go for this show, that's a general DL pet peeve of mine.

by Anonymousreply 102May 21, 2023 4:22 PM

R101 Even if you’ve only placed a toe into the Broadway threads AKB is all over them, and I’m sure his being royally fucked by Murray Bartlett in Looking was discussed ad nauseam here. Any New Yorker knows who AKB is and I would goes as far to say he is a DL favorite. Sorry for your small world 101.

by Anonymousreply 103May 21, 2023 4:24 PM

Seasons 1-4 of Search Party were the best. The fifth and final season was a bit of a let down but still worthwhile, IMO.

by Anonymousreply 104May 21, 2023 4:37 PM

I wonder if people who hated Search Party are the very millennials who were savaged. I thought the 1st and 3rd seasons were brilliant…but even the last season was absurdly hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 105May 21, 2023 4:44 PM

Who plays Cary's method acting boyfriend? That whole subplot kills me. And this season is as good as all of the others.

by Anonymousreply 106May 21, 2023 4:49 PM

The opening segment with Brooke dyeing her hair brown, posting #blacklivesmatter and her pronouns in order to be seen to be good was brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 107May 21, 2023 4:54 PM

[quote] Who plays Cary's method acting boyfriend?

That is Fin Argus, who was also in last year's Queer As Folk from Peacock.

by Anonymousreply 108May 21, 2023 5:24 PM

I think it's absolutely brilliant, the whole "good cause" scheme with Brooke and all-over-the-place Cameron and the reveal that even after the disastrous meeting with the investors, they apparently still invested.

My only complaint is that the storyline with Chase turning 18 should've featured a Bryan Singer like vampire creep who turned back to normal the moment Chase became a legal adult, showcasing that kids like him are never really safe in Hollywood (or anywhere?).

by Anonymousreply 109May 21, 2023 5:30 PM

Ken Marino has made a career of playing hapless buffoons but is actually a very good looking man. I’d be showing poor Streeter some love.

I also just looked up his age and was surprised to find out he’s 54. He’s aging better than Paul Rudd, IMO.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110May 21, 2023 6:13 PM

R110 thanks Ken Marino's publicist!

by Anonymousreply 111May 21, 2023 6:19 PM

Ken Marino is the definition of a Hot Dad.

It helps he's such a good comic actor and not afraid to take his clothes off.

by Anonymousreply 112May 21, 2023 6:26 PM

I’m out!

by Anonymousreply 113May 21, 2023 10:28 PM

I’m also out!

by Anonymousreply 114May 21, 2023 10:28 PM

I can’t watch another episode. I’m done!

by Anonymousreply 115May 21, 2023 10:29 PM

Cum back!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116May 21, 2023 10:39 PM

I think it was a mistake making Pat as big as Oprah, or whoever she's supposed to be. Making her like QVC famous would've been better.

With her being so absurdly wealthy and famous, it's hard to believe that her kids are struggling at all. Where's the infamous Hollywood nepotism? Cary I can kind of believe would try to "make it on his own, prove he can earn it" but Brooke??? She'd be mentioning her famous parent more than Meghan MyFather McCain. They should be very settled with their multi-million dollar trust funds.

by Anonymousreply 117May 21, 2023 11:48 PM

When I was a baby gay in the mid-90’s, Ken Marino definitely had my attention. I used to regularly watch The State and he was “the hot guy” in the cast.

by Anonymousreply 118May 22, 2023 4:39 AM

I thought I was the only person who remembered The State on MTV.

by Anonymousreply 119May 22, 2023 4:56 AM

R117 - agreed. And the show worked best when Cary and Brooke were struggling more, but that probably would have gotten old, too. The creators are talented, but I don't think they have it in them to keep a concept running this long. I don't think they ever entirely left sketch comedy world.

by Anonymousreply 120May 22, 2023 5:10 AM

Pat being Oprah level of successful means that Brooke and Cary are even bigger losers. In a super dark comedy, Brooke and Cary would hype each other up to murder both Chase and Pat, convincing themselves it's the right thing to do for bogus reasons when it's purely motivated by petty envy (and no longer feel like such failures).

by Anonymousreply 121May 22, 2023 8:23 AM

R121 I like your thinking!

by Anonymousreply 122May 22, 2023 11:34 AM

[quote] With her being so absurdly wealthy and famous, it's hard to believe that her kids are struggling at all. Where's the infamous Hollywood nepotism? Cary I can kind of believe would try to "make it on his own, prove he can earn it" but Brooke??? She'd be mentioning her famous parent more than Meghan MyFather McCain. They should be very settled with their multi-million dollar trust funds.

It’s not about the money, and Brooke wasn’t exactly struggling career wise at the beginning of this season. She had achieved success producing her mom’s daytime talk show so nepotism did come into play. Her struggle this season is leaving the business to find something‘meaningful’.

Is Cary’s acting career believable despite a wealthy and famous parent? Ask Jason Gould.

by Anonymousreply 123May 22, 2023 1:31 PM

Ask:

Jason Gould

Jessica Capshaw

Max Minghella (and Max Irons)

by Anonymousreply 124May 22, 2023 7:47 PM

I’ll keep watching because I love Chris Kelly, I LOVED the first two seasons and I appreciate the gay content (the more the better lol). That being said, this season is rough.

Brooke and Cary are obnoxious and vile people, which is fine, except it’s not funny anymore. It’s insufferable and grating. Cary’s narcissism and desperation about acting is painful. I don’t even know what to make of Brooke being a complete asshole toward nurses and “normal people.” The only good part of that leaving the industry episode was at the end when Wanda told her to shut the fuck up and get out.

I’m glad some of you are enjoying it. I’m a boring lawyer who works at a nonprofit (Brooke’s nightmare) so perhaps it is going over my head?

by Anonymousreply 125May 23, 2023 2:37 AM

Speaking of Chris Kelly, I loved his film “Other People” with Jesse Plemons and Molly Shannon. Drew Tarver has a cameo in it too as a member of an improv group. Funny and moving autobiographical film about a man who moves back home to care for his terminally ill mother.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126May 23, 2023 3:31 AM

R117, isn't she already playing a QVC type host on another show?

by Anonymousreply 127May 25, 2023 5:16 AM

The latest episode was great once again.

by Anonymousreply 128May 25, 2023 8:58 AM

That was outrageously funny and possibly my favourite episode of the whole show.

The fucking usher guilt-tripping everyone into liking the play and the play going backwards in time had me in stitches. Was this making fun of how long The Inheritance was?

Lance and Brooke finally had it out. He isn't dumb at all, he can communicate like a normal mature person, but he's just super supportive and positive, and Brooke just doesn't understand that. He's way too good for her.

Lukas Gage is living his best life, from getting married to a 10 recently to being famous enough to be able to play himself on another show. All because that director made fun of his small apartment that one time. Good for him.

by Anonymousreply 129May 25, 2023 1:16 PM

I loved the boyfriend's little smile when he was nominated for a Tony

by Anonymousreply 130May 26, 2023 4:52 PM

r130 Loved that as well, he broke character for a second to look like a cat that ate the canary. And the flowers from Debra Messing... of course.

by Anonymousreply 131May 26, 2023 5:02 PM

[quote]Was this making fun of how long The Inheritance was?

The historical vignettes, the character saying Kaddish, plus the whole AIDS thing? Definitely [italic]Angels in America[/italic].

Hysterical episode. Loved the surprise cameo by Lukas Gage.

Oh, and Lance? I'm willing to do anything in my power to help you get over your Cook Brooke. Call me.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 132May 27, 2023 6:59 AM

The latest was a very funny episode.

I'm assuming Chris Kelly was sending up The Inheritance and Angels in America simultaneously—why do the big gay plays have to be historical epics that involve AIDS? (And now there's A Little Life in London, which is essentially historical gay torture porn.)

A sharp episode. Helene Yorke and Josh Segarra were great.

But I find Drew Tarver weirdly disconnected in his role. I like that he's not taking the easy flaming minstrel route (and the show addressed this with that scene with his femme friend) but something is missing there.

by Anonymousreply 133May 27, 2023 7:49 AM

The AIDS Play was just hilarious. I loved the confidence with which the writers depicted the reaction of normal, reasonable people to battery with the Woke stick, together with the usher personifying the moral blackmail aimed at straight white liberals to ensure they have to keep enduring pretentious art in the name of respect. Just bliss. Cary's personal dilemma is a lovely way of highlighting that when out gay men get good acting jobs it's always portraying closeting or trauma.

I also enjoyed the gentler parody of Baz's Romeo + Juliet in the romantic sequences with Chase and the wonderfully unattractive Pam Snot. Chase is such a NICE boy, just like his Mom.

by Anonymousreply 134May 27, 2023 3:53 PM

r132 I might be wrong, but I think Lance has been shirtless in every single episode this season. I bet it's an inside joke between him and the writers at this point. They probably laugh together while reading the thirsty comments about him online.

by Anonymousreply 135May 27, 2023 4:04 PM

Yes loved this last episode. Really smart writing.

by Anonymousreply 136May 27, 2023 4:14 PM

If I have a quibble with the show, it’s that to me Brooke’s evolving brand of awfulness has a sort of understandable coherence that Carey’s lacks? As outlandish as the show is, Brooke feels like a recognizable millennial woman with a consistent inner-life and flaws that we can sort of begin to understand. Carey often feels like he exists mostly as a jumping off point to satirize “today in being gay in showbiz” tropes.

by Anonymousreply 137May 27, 2023 4:31 PM

Carey is a shallow, grasping narcissist obsessed with getting better parts and fucking. I would imagine he’s representative of a lot of actors - gay or straight.

His femme-y friend is wittier and kinder.

And Brooke does have more depth, even though she’s incredibly difficult and nasty.

But the Carey character allows for some really funny and observant gay content, so though he’s quite grating - I’ll take it. Plus Tarver is cute.

by Anonymousreply 138May 27, 2023 6:58 PM

I agree that Brooke is a more formed character, but also the person that plays her is a better actor than Drew Tarver so those kinds go hand in hand.

But though this season had a slow start, I do think it's found it's grove. The most recent was the show doing what it does best.

by Anonymousreply 139May 27, 2023 7:31 PM

Stronger episode than the last couple of them, though, I thought they got way too dramatic with Lance and Brooke's argument and apparent breakup. I don't know that the show has 'earned' that level of high drama.

by Anonymousreply 140May 30, 2023 9:44 PM

I don't know, the way she's been treating him like shit and taking him for granted for so long with him avoiding arguments just to keep her happy all this time, nothing short of a full-blown meltdown would ring true for me. I think a lot of people have been frustrated with just how one-sided that relationship has been and so wanted a release of some sort, which we now got.

by Anonymousreply 141May 30, 2023 9:50 PM

r141 - yes, it makes sense if this were a remotely realistic series, but its tone is satirical and downright absurdist so often that the 'drama' of that moment didn't work for me. It was a weird tonal shift.

by Anonymousreply 142May 30, 2023 9:55 PM

It landed even harder for me *because* of the surrounding unseriousness. I guess I just enjoyed the juxtaposition of it all.

by Anonymousreply 143May 30, 2023 9:58 PM

In past seasons, there were more real moments like that - with the father’s suicide the first season and not telling the little brother and then the second season with the mother and little brother getting burnt out and losing it with Brooke and Carey.

The tone of this season has been strange and off the rails a bit, but part of what I loved about the show in the past was how it mixed some heavy stuff with the comedy.

When the writing is on, it’s spot on.

by Anonymousreply 144May 31, 2023 1:11 AM

Yes, the satire has become freer and more metaphoric this season (as per people literally not being able to see Brooke when she was out of the industry). It hasn't always worked, and it does make it harder for the writers to reconnect with the more serious moments, but it was a big hit for me in the AIDS play episode.

The send-up of showbiz, marketing and "fixers" has been just delicious from the beginning, especially with Chase such a light but effective moral compass every time he stops being obliging and puts his foot down. The fact that Cary and Brooke will always rally to him when he does this, even though their own morals would never lead them to do as he does, has been a very sweet centre to a stringent satire, and if the writers lose that, as they were tending to do in the last episode with Brooke joining the team trying to overrule him, it will be a serious problem. Their genuine love for him is their main humanising characteristic.

by Anonymousreply 145May 31, 2023 9:59 AM

I laughed all thro the episode. I juat love Curtis

by Anonymousreply 146May 31, 2023 3:22 PM

Man, this one cut deep. I can imagine certain people in The Industry getting very nervous watching Cary's parts. I can recall having some of those conversations with other posters right here on DL. To say nothing of Reddit where the majority still thinks gay characters should either not feature at all because sexual orientation is irrelevant, or that homosexuality -- unlike heterosexuality -- should have a special narrative purpose, otherwise don't bother.

Brooke immediately going to the "Lance was a nurse, so he was gay anyway" cracked me up. The actress' (facial) physicality in this role is on another level to everyone else, she just goes all in. The Jeff Bezos-type send-up was hysterical. Also love how the millionaire looked like Elon Musk with that wig.

r146 Yeah, Curtis is great. He's Cary's Lance, basically.

by Anonymousreply 147May 31, 2023 8:17 PM

It’s funny that while Carver is doing almost as much cheescake semi-nudity as Lance, Carey is such a ghoul I can’t help but find him gross. Whereas Curtis gets handsomer to me by the episode.

by Anonymousreply 148May 31, 2023 10:39 PM

Helene Yorke again very funny in last night's episode, which sent up Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos and their ilk.

And a joke for DL: Cary and friends are playing a charades-like game where you have to describe a celebrity. Cary's first draw is Marsha P. Johnson and he snaps "Pass!"

by Anonymousreply 149June 3, 2023 2:45 AM

The writing is really strong

by Anonymousreply 150June 3, 2023 11:50 AM

Um, did they forget about my storyline?

by Anonymousreply 151June 3, 2023 4:24 PM

I really like this show.

by Anonymousreply 152June 3, 2023 6:00 PM

Chase you had a big storyline last week.

by Anonymousreply 153June 3, 2023 6:36 PM

Season one was very good, Season two was excellent (everyone got into their groove) and so far, season three has been uneven - not terrible, but not as good as season two. Looking to see how this season plays out and if it comes back for a third season.

'Chase' has really grown up into a handsome young man. 'Cary' is cute in some camera angles, not so cute in others - he looks like a young David Cassidy (all he needs is longer hair). I do love the hair in the middle of his chest. As for 'Lance' - wow, wow, wow !

by Anonymousreply 154June 8, 2023 1:49 PM

Chase's nips in this episode looked like they could cut glass, Jesus Christ.

Kurt finally confronting Cary was nice to see. I admit I recognised myself in his "you can never be happy for me" speech. I was never able to be happy for any of my friends either back when I still had them, very likely because my mom taught me to hate people and that everything is a competition for survival, so any of their successes were automatically my loss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155June 8, 2023 2:09 PM

The last S3 episode I watched was the "Emily Interrupted" one which I thought was an extremely strained bit. Like a previous poster, I checked a couple times to see how much was left. Too high concept.

I did like Brooke's AOC bit though. In general I think Helene York is much, much funnier than the stilted Drew Tarver. Also, how come Brooke and Cary have had barely any scenes together this season? Are Helene and Drew not getting along IRL?

by Anonymousreply 156June 8, 2023 2:17 PM

They have scenes together all the time? Even if they aren't physically together, they still call each other constantly. I do enjoy their separate adventures, though.

by Anonymousreply 157June 8, 2023 2:31 PM

The guy looks like Jason Bateman

by Anonymousreply 158June 8, 2023 5:03 PM

I have LOVED this show but enough of the Kerry thing and his gay stuff already. Either embrace and highlight Curtis as a slightly stereotypical but fun and lovable character, or dial back on all the “Kerry’s gay! We want you to know this so he’s going to present his hole in a wacky way!” stuff.

by Anonymousreply 159June 8, 2023 5:18 PM

“Cary”, not “Kerry”. Oh dear, me.

by Anonymousreply 160June 8, 2023 5:20 PM

Is that a screen shot of the most recent episode at r155?!?! Hahaha! No way!! Can Somebody give us a rundown of the most recent episode for those of us who won’t get to see it until a little later in the week? You can hold big spoilers I’d just like a synopsis and explanation of why Chase is tatted-up like Machine Gun Kelly.

by Anonymousreply 161June 8, 2023 5:24 PM

r161 Chase and Pam break up, so Wanda Sykes shows them an educational video in which Ann Dowd or Margo Martindale (one of the two, can't tell them apart) informs them that exes of boy stars must go live in a collective in the woods, otherwise they get killed by the fans. Because Chase doesn't want her life to be ruined like that, he agrees to one strategy which could make his fandom side with his ex instead of with him -- become a bad boy. And then it just escalates from there when initial attempts don't work.

by Anonymousreply 162June 8, 2023 5:32 PM

This season is the 3rd, referring to the earlier comment i.n which it was thought that this is season 2.

by Anonymousreply 163June 8, 2023 6:04 PM

Today's episode was just okay - not really funny as some of the others. It continues the 'up and down' season.

by Anonymousreply 164June 8, 2023 8:17 PM

It was Ann Dowd.

by Anonymousreply 165June 8, 2023 8:40 PM

I thought the Ann Dowd video was hilarious. I also loved the actress playing Chase’s girlfriend Pam.

by Anonymousreply 166June 10, 2023 9:43 AM

Chase's mega-stupid tattoos were hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 167June 10, 2023 8:18 PM

I loved that tattoo gag.

I realized something after watching them back to back last night: Carey is Billy Eichner, but less abrasive and unpleasant.

I finally gave Bros a chance last night, and it was a awful. It was like being yelled at by someone with a personality disorder for two hours.

It was pure narcissistic fantasy written by someone who is convinced his unpleasant personality is somehow charming and everyone else in his orbit exists only to further his story. There were so many far funnier and engaging actors in the film that I wish got some screen time, but their roles were essentially just glorified extras.

It was exactly the movie that Carey would write for himself.

by Anonymousreply 168June 10, 2023 9:08 PM

When will Chase show his ass?

by Anonymousreply 169June 10, 2023 9:11 PM

R168 completely agree. Well said.

by Anonymousreply 170June 10, 2023 9:51 PM

r169 Chase, doubt it. Actor playing him, probably, eventually.

by Anonymousreply 171June 10, 2023 9:54 PM

It's a formula now that the show imprisons Molly Shannon's character in some family or professional situation, leading to a Big Emotional Meltdown sometime in the season.

It happened this week instead of at the end season 2.

The structure of the show is great—wildly varying levels of fame and entertainment industry success in one family—but the execution re: Molly's character has been disappointing. She's been wasted, and now they're repeating themselves.

by Anonymousreply 172June 11, 2023 3:20 AM

I loved when exasperated Pat revealed Simu Liu isn't very good at chowing her box.

by Anonymousreply 173June 11, 2023 3:22 AM

Chase has perfect twink tits.

Thank you, Chris Kelly, for showing them off.

by Anonymousreply 174June 11, 2023 3:23 AM

R172, I think a big part of the problem is that Chris Kelly is sort of stuck in a loop of apotheosizing his dead frau mom in his projects - Molly Shannon played another version of her in his movie Other People. She gets much less to do with Pat than say Andrea Martin did as Marilyn in Difficult People (where Julie Klausner dragged the hell out of her still living mom!)

by Anonymousreply 175June 11, 2023 3:39 AM

That's a sharp observation, R175, and I think you're right.

by Anonymousreply 176June 11, 2023 3:58 AM

Does Carey’s agent from Season 2 ever reappear? He was hot, but barely used before he was fired.

by Anonymousreply 177June 11, 2023 9:51 AM

I am always happy when Brandon Scott Jones is on screen.

by Anonymousreply 178June 11, 2023 10:29 AM

I love this show! I occasionally search to see if it's been renewed for season four. One of my other favorites, Somebody Somewhere, has already been announced.

by Anonymousreply 179June 11, 2023 10:29 AM

R178: Isn’t It Romantic might give you second thoughts. He and Betty Gilpin were so horribly used in that film, it infected my thoughts on both (and Luke Hemsworth).

by Anonymousreply 180June 11, 2023 11:20 AM

Brandon Scott Jones became obese between the pilot and now.

by Anonymousreply 181June 11, 2023 11:58 AM

R168 - Would you please give it a fucking rest already with the “I just watched Bros” shtick? You’ve posted that all over the board for months now. We get it, it’s awful. We all agree. And it’s somehow cathartic for you to keep bitching about and going off on it. NOBODY here “JUST watched” that film. Nobody. You continuously shoe-horning Bros into threads with every chance you get to type “Billy Eichner” has gone from irritatingly repetitive to unhinged.

Please, let it go, and stop trying to hijack threads so you can rehash flaming some Z’Lister. We’ve all had sufficient of you AND Billy Eichner.

by Anonymousreply 182June 11, 2023 12:18 PM

I notice he really porked out in the post-COVID episodes.

by Anonymousreply 183June 11, 2023 12:18 PM

[quote]The movie is tasteful and restrained and sensitively handled at every step. But unless you count one of the men finding post-breakup sexual distraction wrapped around a slinky club kid named Solo (Isaac Powell), there’s too little here to distinguish the film from endless other broken-family dramas that have gone before.

OK I hope this means there's a sex scene between Luke Evans and Isaac Cole Powell.

by Anonymousreply 184June 11, 2023 2:40 PM

Whoops, Wrong thread

by Anonymousreply 185June 11, 2023 2:41 PM

R182: wow, I didn’t mean to hijack the thread. You’ve got me confused with someone else.

I only shared because I realized how similar the character of Carey is to Eichner when I watch the latest episode right after the movie, hoping it would improve my mood.

by Anonymousreply 186June 11, 2023 4:38 PM

Carey is cute and in spite of his selfishness he's still appealing. Eichner is hideous, shrill and toxic.

by Anonymousreply 187June 11, 2023 5:22 PM

I don't find Carey appealing in the slightest. The actor doesn't bring any warmth to the role to give the character a flawed but likable human center. Carey is hollow and selfish, his only motivation is self-promotion, unlike Brooke who is flawed but in search of something, and who you can't help but like despite her selfishness. I find myself waiting for the Brooke/Chase/Molly Shannon plotline when Carey is onscreen. It's like watching two separate TV shows.

by Anonymousreply 188June 12, 2023 2:33 PM

What R188 said. The more Carey is on the screen, the more I kind of tune-out. It's a combination of the actor (a little bit) and the character himself. The actor playing him isn't a looker but he likely isn't supposed to be. If he were gorgeous, it would be a little hard to accept that he wasn't able to get acting jobs or good jobs. I think Carey not being a very attractive guy is part of the whole shtick.

Brooke is awful, absolutely horrible, but her character is by far more compelling and interesting. The actress is great in the role. She's also hilarious. And yeah, Pat continually having breakdowns over not having "family time" or doing "normal things" has gotten old. She wouldn't have become so famous and rich if she just didn't get that. I wish they would have played it less, where we only see her occasionally trying to get out in public alone. But now, it's like a whole shtick they won't let go of. Also, her kids weren't very present in her life at the beginning of the series. She was in Ohio, they were in New York and it was suggested they rarely saw her. She was essentially raising her youngest kid all alone.

Any guesses on how the story will play out? I'm guessing Pat either loses or gives up all the fame, maybe even losing the money and decided to return to her "normal" life in Ohio. Chase goes on to be a successful actor/musician or whatever. He's likeable and everyone roots for him. Plus, he would be too young to want to give it all up. Brooke finally finds her happy place by working "in the industry" while also doing real good things for vulnerable people/the world/the environment or whatever. Carey, hopefully will lose all his friends and just go away. Or just end up being happy with some low level of fame and success that gets him camera time. Curtis will (hopefully) become a BIG star. Maybe "Girlies" will be picked-up by Disney/ABC and becomes a massive sitcom hit starring Curtis. Loveable Lance somehow gets uber famous and love, thereby unintentionally succeeding to achieve the fame and success that has eluded Brooke and Carey. Or, maybe he bumbles-into winning the Noble Prize for something, or opens a non-profit medical facility. While maybe also launching his sneaker line! LOL! Oh, and hopefully Pat will marry Streeter and they'll live happily ever after.

by Anonymousreply 189June 12, 2023 3:28 PM

Chase will segue into gay porn.

by Anonymousreply 190June 12, 2023 8:28 PM

r190 Chase, doubt it. Actor playing him, probably, eventually.

by Anonymousreply 191June 12, 2023 8:31 PM

I actually wouldn't mind seeing streeter naked. Preferably without the shaved chest. But, that's just me.

by Anonymousreply 192June 13, 2023 1:36 PM

I love the absurdity of the show.

by Anonymousreply 193June 13, 2023 1:44 PM

I just watched "Cary and Brooke Go To An AIDS Play" and howled the whole time. The play is very clearly "The Inheritance" which was just as awful as the play in the show and such a fucking niche reference, I couldn't believe it was actually happening.

by Anonymousreply 194June 13, 2023 2:30 PM

I'm here for Drew's furry chest and that's about it. Terrible third season, in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 195June 13, 2023 2:46 PM

I can’t figure out if this show is progressive or regressive in how it handles gay characters. It seems to go through great lengths to cast gay actors in gay roles, however, gay characters are all portrayed as being ultra-femme and snarky. There’s just no variety.

by Anonymousreply 196June 14, 2023 10:16 AM

It's a broad comedy about the entertainment industry, R196.

Your question is like asking if Absolutely Fabulous was progressive or regressive in how it "handled" women.

by Anonymousreply 197June 14, 2023 10:54 AM

Yeah, that feels oddly reminiscent around the conversation and (in my estimation) unfair criticism of Looking when it debuted. That was a very specific story about a specific group of gay men in SF. This is, as R197, a very specific story about gays in the entertainment industry. This need for gay-themed shows to tell all of our stories simultaneously is unfair.

by Anonymousreply 198June 14, 2023 11:24 AM

I’m more drawn to Carey’s story because it makes fun of actors, the audition process, etc.

by Anonymousreply 199June 15, 2023 4:52 PM

I love this show- it’s soooo gay and sooooo original and soooooo funny

The actress who plays Brooke is amazing

by Anonymousreply 200June 15, 2023 4:55 PM

Did anybody see the second episode of that new show Girlies last night?! It was great, much better than the pilot. I think it's gonna work out, and probably score an Emmy for the lead guy, the gay one!!

by Anonymousreply 201June 15, 2023 5:28 PM

Cameron Casky being extra cute and gay on the show.

by Anonymousreply 202June 16, 2023 1:45 AM

They’re rather daring in making the two leads increasingly monstrous.

The show manages to be bitingly cynical (especially regarding social media) while still keeping the characters somewhat likable, though with the two siblings, that’s getting harder.

Cary shows his butt is the new one.

by Anonymousreply 203June 16, 2023 3:13 AM

And now the sweet mom has been revealed to be turning monstrous due to all that wealth and isolation as well, which I did not see coming and is an interesting twist.

by Anonymousreply 204June 16, 2023 3:17 AM

Molly Shannon played it so well, R204. I agree with the others who said her storyline this season was becoming one-noted, so this was much-needed. Tonight's episode had it all: mental health telethons, gays in diapers driving to their high school reunions, conspiracies to chloroform Ben Platt, kitschy Ohio kitchens decorated with bees, Parkland teen with Covid.

The writers are definitely on Datalounge! Come out, come out.

by Anonymousreply 205June 16, 2023 3:48 AM

The reunion stuff hit so close to home for me, that "good boy" syndrome with gay men where we're wired to please and be commended is real, y'all. Forever compensating for that original aberration.

Brooke doing "good" all day and still unravelling the moment she saw her ex doing better was classic Brooke, I loved it.

by Anonymousreply 206June 16, 2023 4:07 AM

Tarver toosh.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207June 16, 2023 4:37 AM

Looking forward to the new ep. I concur that the AIDS play ep was by far the best one this season. I'm also glad Brooke's boyfriend and Carey's friend stood up to each one of them, respectively.

by Anonymousreply 208June 16, 2023 4:41 AM

I loved Cary’s realization that his life is empty…he needs to win an Oscar! 😆

by Anonymousreply 209June 16, 2023 7:16 AM

I’ve always had such a crush on Ken Marino. I bet he’s fun in bed.

by Anonymousreply 210June 16, 2023 11:40 AM

Some funny bits--trying to chloroform Ben Platt. The reuion (I have one coming up---in Ohio no less) was well played, with the successful gay thing. Brooke is getting tiresome and Wanda Sykes could play the crap given to her in her sleep. They don't know what to do with her, Chase or Molly Shannon's character, which tells me that this show should end with this season.

by Anonymousreply 211June 16, 2023 11:49 AM

[quote]They don't know what to do with her, Chase or Molly Shannon's character

While I've loved the sharpness of the satire this season, I agree that the show is not well structured. Too many characters don't have a reason to exist or are just flailing.

I don't know why they don't give the supporting characters real B-plots, even brief ones. 30 Rock and Parks and Recreation were masterful at this.

Honestly, even Brooke's arc this season is uninspired, but Helene Yorke is working miracles with what she's been given. She is so funny and talented.

by Anonymousreply 212June 16, 2023 1:11 PM

When the first season aired on Comedy Central, episodes were 21 minutes. They got a little longer in season 2 with the move to Max, but the streaming bloat is really setting in this season. This week’s episode was 37 minutes, which is literally almost double the length of a season 1 episode. I love this show, but I think it would be better with some more editing—the jokes would feel tighter and some of the bits that aren’t totally working would end up on the cutting room floor.

by Anonymousreply 213June 16, 2023 2:05 PM

This is cunty but accurate: Helene Yorke has the comedy chops that Deb Messing thinks she has.

And Helene is prettier.

by Anonymousreply 214June 17, 2023 12:37 AM

I think hanging out with AKB made Helene an honorary Gay man

by Anonymousreply 215June 17, 2023 12:55 AM

The placeholder for the Random Parkland Shooting Survivor was devastating and hilarious.

by Anonymousreply 216June 17, 2023 12:55 AM

Okay, this most recent episode was GREAT. This third season has been quite uneven, but they nailed it on this last one. Molly's ending was an unexpected and very funny ending, too.

by Anonymousreply 217June 17, 2023 5:34 AM

Was this the last episode of the season?

by Anonymousreply 218June 17, 2023 5:47 AM

Two more episodes left.

by Anonymousreply 219June 17, 2023 5:51 AM

Okay, I binged watched this show from season 1 over the last 2 days. What the fuck ia season 3? I feel like I'm watching a completely different show. The first 2 seasons were at least mildly realistic but, this season is so broad and over the top it's just ridiculous. Brooke going to space, being invisible, that best gay at the reunion song, the black and white homage- it just seems to take place in a completely different universe than the first 2 seasons.

by Anonymousreply 220June 17, 2023 8:35 AM

[quote]The first 2 seasons were at least mildly realistic

What?? No.....

by Anonymousreply 221June 17, 2023 9:29 AM

(r207) Very eatable. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 222June 17, 2023 11:21 AM

Well, that's the appeal of the show - you never know what to expect. The entertainment value lies in the ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 223June 17, 2023 11:46 AM

I'm in the minority camp, probably, that this show continues to be hilarious. I really hope season 4 happens.

Special kudos to Brook's shirtless husband. God Damn.

by Anonymousreply 224June 17, 2023 12:19 PM

Let’s lock Ben Platt in the closet…

Simu Liu has no idea what he’s doing down there…

This show is so random and hilarious

by Anonymousreply 225June 17, 2023 1:30 PM

Cary is awful. Character and actor.

Love Helene York. Her timing is brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 226June 17, 2023 6:01 PM

The gays going to the reunion song was fucking brilliant! 😁

I love that the show isn't afraid to make Cary and Brooke as AWFUL as possible! Cary in particular is SUCH an asshole. He'd fit right in in Always Sunny!

by Anonymousreply 227June 17, 2023 6:23 PM

Yes - this past episode was truly fantastic. When the show is good, it’s really brilliant. When it’s bad, it’s almost unwatchable.

by Anonymousreply 228June 17, 2023 6:34 PM

I stick by my assertion, R221. Nothing about the first two seasons made me think the show was set in bizzaro world.

by Anonymousreply 229June 17, 2023 6:37 PM

I agree with R213. With the open ended runtimes, they really have a lot of fat that could be trimmed from the episodes.

by Anonymousreply 230June 18, 2023 12:50 AM

S3 has become a parody of the earlier seasons. It's still quite entertaining but it's not as grounded to reality as the previous ones. S4 will probably its last season before the storylines get more and more ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 231June 18, 2023 1:37 AM

The casually offensive comments Brooke makes about gay men make me lol. When Cary says that tv show switched a female character to a gay man without changing any lines and she replies something along the lines of “well gay men basically are women, the fun ones at least.”

Also lol’d when Ken Marino burst into the dressing room and said “HEY TWINK” to Ben Platt.

by Anonymousreply 232June 18, 2023 1:42 AM

The producers lucked out six or seven years ago when they cast the then-young kid who plays Chase. He had the looks but you never know when a young actor is going to have good timing as an adult. Fortunately, he does and his portrayal is wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 233June 18, 2023 2:54 AM

Less Tarver tush, more Case Walker tush

by Anonymousreply 234June 18, 2023 3:12 AM

Episode 8 was best of the season by far. I noticed it was directed by the co-creator, Chris Kelly.

I hope they the last two are as strong.

I actually will be surprised if they get a 4th season unless this one had high viewership. Streaming services are going to be cutting down on the unsustainable scripted content bubble they created and will continue to be ruthless in canceling anything that doesn't serve the bottom line.

by Anonymousreply 235June 18, 2023 5:19 AM

^ But there’s lots of serving bottoms on this show!

by Anonymousreply 236June 18, 2023 5:24 AM

I think if they were gonna cut the show they’d already have done it. They dumped Minx season 2 when it was almost done with production and the second half of The Nevers which was just sitting on the shelf. I could see next season being the last, though. The absurd/surreal tone the show has taken on this season makes sense since the characters are now living fully in the absurd/surreal world of celebrity, but I don’t really feel like stories about the ridiculousness of fame and fortune are as interesting or as ripe with possibility as stories about people struggling to make it. It kind of feel like it’s nearing a natural conclusion tbh.

by Anonymousreply 237June 18, 2023 6:11 AM

More naked Chase.

by Anonymousreply 238June 18, 2023 10:35 AM

R235, agreed. No way they get a 4th season unless someone is sleeping with someone at Max. Which is entirely possible.

by Anonymousreply 239June 18, 2023 10:42 AM

At the start, the humor was in the characters and the family relationships. Show biz was the vehicle that got us to that destination.

In season three the vehicle has become the focus. So who cares? The show has become like one of those people who talk endlessly about octane, detailing, tire wear, etc. The interest in in the vehicle rather than actually arriving anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 240June 18, 2023 12:59 PM

Haha nice catch!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241June 18, 2023 3:50 PM

Ha! That's great, R241.

by Anonymousreply 242June 18, 2023 3:57 PM

R241 he also calls the show as good as 30 rock. No.

by Anonymousreply 243June 18, 2023 8:32 PM

Well then, R223, why not have one episode where Brooke becomes Pope? And the next week half the cast are cartoons? After all, I certainly wouldn't expect that! Or, at this point, maybe I would.

by Anonymousreply 244June 19, 2023 12:55 AM

How come they’ve yet to do the prerequisites musical episode?

by Anonymousreply 245June 19, 2023 1:13 AM

The show is not even as good as Parks & Rec, which had April reading a celebrity magazine called "Persons" at the checkout line of Grain & Simple.

by Anonymousreply 246June 19, 2023 2:48 AM

The show has not been renewed by HBO Max. 2 episodes left including series finale. Shows today never really die but for the creators, its better for them to move on and create new shows that might hit. Since they continued writing and directed a ton of episodes, they'll probably get a very nice deal on their next show (or shows).

by Anonymousreply 247June 19, 2023 4:31 AM

Also for those of you who don't like the show, it's a surrealist comedy. Some Americans love this genre but it doesn't travel well overseas. 30 ROCK and ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT are other examples. Some viewers find it too weird, the approach is about how it plays with jokes and moments that 100% would not occur in real life. Lots of visual jokes as well that go beyond bounds of authentic reality.

If its not for you, it's not for you. Or maybe you do like surrealist comedies and hate this one.

by Anonymousreply 248June 19, 2023 4:36 AM

According to some equation streaming services follow, they've determined there's no financial benefit beyond renewing a show past season 3 unless it's a huge smash or awards magnet.

I remember this model being cited when Hulu canceled Difficult People after season 3 although it was at a creative and popular peak.

This piece ran four years ago. Streamers are no doubt more cutthroat now because they're strapped for cash.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 249June 19, 2023 5:03 AM

Even if that three season thing is true, I think this show will get at least one more season because the first season was produced for Comedy Central and not Max. Search Party ran for five seasons—two were produced for TBS and the last three for HBO Max.

by Anonymousreply 250June 19, 2023 5:39 AM

MAX has declined to renew it. Pretty sure they filmed a series finale.

by Anonymousreply 251June 19, 2023 8:57 AM

It's a miracle the show made it this far. It was saved from certain death after season 1 by HBO Max.

But it's clear from this thread that the latest season isn't even hitting with the target audience—DL'ers.

In retrospect, Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider should have stayed head writers with SNL for a few more seasons. They only did one, and it was good, and they could have saved us from the bland crap of the last few years.

But Chris Kelly was dickmatized and wanted something to do in LA so he could be with his lawyer boyfriend who lived there. Can't entirely blame him.

by Anonymousreply 252June 19, 2023 9:08 AM

[quote] MAX has declined to renew it

Link?

by Anonymousreply 253June 19, 2023 11:54 AM

Max! Bring me the AX!

by Anonymousreply 254June 19, 2023 12:18 PM

Shit, I hope it's not true that it's being cancelled. I recently saw Wanda Sykes being interviewed and all her credentials and projects were listed, but no mention of The Other Two. I recently read an article on Tarver in which the interviewer suggested a season 4. Tarver responded something like, "you know something I don't?" Season Three does seem to be winding down to a series conclusion. Damn it. I look forward to that show more than any other.

by Anonymousreply 255June 19, 2023 12:20 PM

There has been no official announcement either way yet, but I've always thought it was unlikely this show would get another season. It's never been widely popular, and streamers are now in the era of cutting back.

by Anonymousreply 256June 19, 2023 12:43 PM

R214, you've made your point over and over.....and over again that you're a big fan of "Helene York". Maybe dial it back a little? It's becoming a little obvious what you're doing.

by Anonymousreply 257June 19, 2023 12:53 PM

My problem with this season is that it wasn't created to be surreal. The first season was a fairly realistic comedy about nice people caught up in new found celebrity culture. Cary and Brooke were somewhat pathetic but sweet. The second season was uneven, but Pat's breakdown at the end of the season was fairly brilliant. This season feels like another show, and the two leads have become horrible selfish creeps. But I have enjoyed moments along the way, (Particularly the Kiernan Shipka sequence) and Tarver's ass helped a lot.

by Anonymousreply 258June 19, 2023 2:09 PM

R258 makes a good point. It wasn't setup as zany surrealist slapstick. I thought the whole Brooke going invisible and then to outer space was mildly amusing, no problem with it. But it IS getting a little too far out there in every episode and you can almost feel people tuning out.

Somebody up-thread talked about Pat beginning to become awful with this last episode; I'm not convinced that's where they're going just yet. She was nice to her friends and very much wanted to go home and spend time with them. But maybe her phone call admission was her beginning to admit that she likes her new life of fame and fortune. It doesn't necessarily forebode he becoming like her son or daughter but, I guess it's possible. I hope not. I love 'innocent' Molly Shannon. She's such a sweet girl that I hate the idea of any of her characters becoming jaded and mean.

If it's true that this is the final season, perhaps it's too much to hope that Brooke will finally see the light and end-up with Lance forever. I was hoping that would happen, but who knows now. Are all four of them destined to become horrible but successful people?

Also, I suppose we're supposed to assume that Pat's phone call was her leaving a message to Streeter. I hope it was because I want them to end up together and live happily ever after. But I get the feeling she wasn't leaving him the message. Maybe she was leaving it to her late husband, (on his voicemail she's kept open all this time?). Either way, it was a bit sad. She's clearly so far removed from her former life that she doesn't "get" it anymore. Her friend was so excited about stenciling little bees all over her kitchen, ("I have them ALLLL over the house! I mean, I already had the stencil so, why not?!"). How many of us have/had moms, or sisters, (or US!) who love that kind of thing? Or at least at one point? I kind of hated the way they had to stereotype "flyover" people as wearing bedazzled blue-jean jackets and putting ketchup on their tacos, (NOBODY does that!). Hollywood just can't fucking help itself when it comes to portraying rural white people. But it was also a bit sweet. Her friends getting together for their annual frauen wine and taco night. Feeding the ducks in the park pond, every store and shop is noted as being on the same street near the one popular dress shop that sells blue-jean jackets. Yet, none of them acted very overwhelmed by Pat's fame, and maybe that's what bugged her? Pat was just one of the girls again. Okay, sorry. I'm taking all of this way too seriously at this point.

Regardless of when it ends or how absurd it's become, I'm really glad it was there and it's been a lot of fun watching.

by Anonymousreply 259June 19, 2023 3:09 PM

I hope Ben Platt enjoyed being called a twink again. It’s been a while.

by Anonymousreply 260June 19, 2023 6:26 PM

Chris Kelly is pretty brilliant. If the show isn’t getting renewed - will be nice to see what he does next.

by Anonymousreply 261June 19, 2023 7:29 PM

I hate it when shows get too surreal and weird.

by Anonymousreply 262June 19, 2023 7:49 PM

It might be challenging for writers who've worked primarily in sketch comedy to extend a concept this long. But, yeah, I wouldn't say no to one more season and then wrap it up.

by Anonymousreply 263June 19, 2023 11:22 PM

[quote]Also, I suppose we're supposed to assume that Pat's phone call was her leaving a message to Streeter. I hope it was because I want them to end up together and live happily ever after. But I get the feeling she wasn't leaving him the message. Maybe she was leaving it to her late husband, (on his voicemail she's kept open all this time?). Either way, it was a bit sad. She's clearly so far removed from her former life that she doesn't "get" it anymore.

Did you miss the part where she was actually dictating it to Twitter instead of leaving a message? She just burned down her career AND all her Midwestern friends.

by Anonymousreply 264June 20, 2023 12:31 AM

One of the funniest episodes yet, was firing on all cylinders form the first minute to the last. Cracked up at Shuli's "How is it 8:30 in the morning and we're already at a 10 over something?" and also her prescient "Just call me when you're burning down his apartment." Nice setup for the finale where it'll (presumably) all come crashing down for both of them.

Brooke is completely unhinged and Yorke, as always, is giving it her all. She's working those facial expressions like nobody's business, even while under heavy age makeup.

Reporter guy, Shravan Amin, was cute af.

by Anonymousreply 265June 22, 2023 10:02 PM

Good episode. I LOLed 5 - 7 times.

by Anonymousreply 266June 22, 2023 11:35 PM

I enjoyed this episode BUT.... I didn't like how ahe was just out of Lance's apartment when she was in the old lady makeup but they made no effort to show how she escaped from a room completely filled with people. Major fail.

by Anonymousreply 267June 23, 2023 1:09 AM

Am I the only one who caught the Meghan Markle reference? Mom's Ohio BFF and her two adult kids in the pool. "Meg 'n Mark, oh"

by Anonymousreply 268June 23, 2023 2:00 AM

R268 yes dear. Take your lithium

by Anonymousreply 269June 23, 2023 2:01 AM

r268 Nope, I caught that as well. My heart skipped for a split second, wondering what the hell the camera would cut to.

And don't mind the cunt at r269, that's just the DL royalist cabal for you.

by Anonymousreply 270June 23, 2023 3:27 AM

I would be more than happy to watch a spinoff series featuring Josh Segarra half-naked in each episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271June 23, 2023 6:19 AM

The producers know what the public wants: shirtless Josh Segarra.

by Anonymousreply 272June 23, 2023 8:17 PM

Another good episode. I didn't think it was quite as funny as episode 8, but it was better than most of the rest of the season. Loved "Sallie Mae" turning up to collect. And loving the set up for Cary and Brook's downfall.

by Anonymousreply 273June 25, 2023 10:49 AM

Looks like Max has cancelled this show

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274June 28, 2023 9:22 PM

How is this a shocker? No one watched this, it won no awards and they took two year hiatuses.

by Anonymousreply 275June 28, 2023 9:24 PM

The story is not that the show is cancelled. The story is that Chris Kelly and Sarah Schneider are cunts!

Now that the show is ending their coworkers are rushing to say what a nightmare they were

[Quote]The irony that a satire of ego, ambition and malice in the entertainment industry was allegedly plagued by the very things it was lampooning was not lost on those involved. “There’s a lot of Chris and Sarah in the show … I think a lot of their frustration comes from not being on-camera,” says one insider. “These are two people who started off as improvisers. This is a show about people who are hungering for fame. Their friends and colleagues became well-known. … It’s a lot like the show.” Adds another show source about the show’s toxic culture being an open secret in the industry: “Other writers tell stories about The Other Two writers’ rooms like other people tell ghost stories.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276June 28, 2023 9:25 PM

[quote]Multiple sources involved with The Other Two confirm Kelly and Schneider were the subject of complaints to human resources over behavior on set and in the writers room. These include allegations that Kelly verbally abused writers and overworked crew and claims that Schneider enabled his behavior.

by Anonymousreply 277June 28, 2023 9:26 PM

It makes sense why Cary and Brooke became such hellish assholes when they are bring modeled after Chris and Sarah. Write what you know.

by Anonymousreply 278June 28, 2023 9:33 PM

Don't care the reason, it just sucks to have one less show on the air that had decent gay male representation.

by Anonymousreply 279June 28, 2023 9:35 PM

The apparent toxic atmosphere on set says a lot about the dive in quality this season.

Also, this is interesting, from THR article:

Tina Fey seemingly nodded to Kelly and Schneider’s behavior in a March speech at the PEN America Literary Awards in which she jokes that The Other Two exec producer Lorne Michaels was partially responsible for conditioning the pair during their tenure on Saturday Night Live. “Nobody indulges writers like Lorne Michaels,” she said. “Lorne, you have unleashed an army of monsters into the world. You know it, I know it, and the crew of The Other Two knows it — oh I was supposed to change that. I was supposed to change that. That’s inappropriate. Oh well, it’s not livestreaming.”

by Anonymousreply 280June 28, 2023 11:08 PM

I disagree, I don't think there's been a dive in quality this season, so that theory doesn't hold water at all.

In any case, it was a nice run and I'm looking forward to the series finale. Just give us one more shirtless Lance scene, please.

by Anonymousreply 281June 29, 2023 12:59 AM

Is that his real hair?

by Anonymousreply 282June 29, 2023 3:29 AM

His hair has always looked like a rug to me.

by Anonymousreply 283June 29, 2023 3:31 AM

Considering the "writers room" consists of the unfunny minstrel Jimmy Fowlie, I don't blame Chris Kelly for cracking down to get comedy out of him.

by Anonymousreply 284June 29, 2023 3:55 AM

This publicity sucks for Helene Yorke, who truly deserves a Best Actress/Comedy Emmy nomination this year.

by Anonymousreply 285June 29, 2023 3:58 AM

I think I'm in the minority on this thread because I always enjoyed the creativity of the show, including season 3. I often roared at what I think is edgy comedy.

That said, if those drama allegations are true, then I guess I'll watch the final, happy that the staff is out of a toxic environment. I had been listening to some recent interviews, including podcasts, with Wanda Sykes. The Other Two was never included. HBO made me do a search for it rather than feature it. So, the writing was definitely on the wall.

by Anonymousreply 286June 29, 2023 10:29 AM

What did Wanda say R286?

by Anonymousreply 287June 29, 2023 11:01 AM

this show is getting really stupid as s3 continues

by Anonymousreply 288June 29, 2023 11:14 AM

R287, she didn't say anything, even a few weeks ago. To me, that WAS saying something because the hosts seemed to be promoting and listing all her current events, and The Other Two was never mentioned in any of the conversations. To me, along with the profile on Tarver in which he asked the interviewer, "Do you know something I don't know?" regarding a season 4, all of that, made me read between the lines.

Despite all the behind the scenes or disagreements about the quality of the show, the show certainly objectified hot actors. I should be outraged!

by Anonymousreply 289June 29, 2023 11:30 AM

Finale was great -- they stuck the landing. Somehow they pulled it all together.

by Anonymousreply 290June 30, 2023 12:02 AM

Any nudity?

by Anonymousreply 291June 30, 2023 12:07 AM

Nope, just more Lance shirtless.

by Anonymousreply 292June 30, 2023 12:10 AM

The last episode was a satisfying conclusion. I’ve had sufficient.

by Anonymousreply 293June 30, 2023 12:16 AM

No dick? Sad.

by Anonymousreply 294June 30, 2023 12:17 AM

I hope Helene York gets another project worthy of her talents, she's fantastic.

by Anonymousreply 295June 30, 2023 12:20 AM

I’ll miss this show, but it was really great series finale.

I’m not dying to see Drew Tarver again, but Helene York deserves more work…and the now legal kid playing Chase needs something where he’s naked…a lot..

by Anonymousreply 296June 30, 2023 1:32 AM

If the two main producers and showrunners were so tough and ruthless, how come they couldn’t keep Helene York on a diet? She was more of a widette than ever, it was embarrassing.

by Anonymousreply 297June 30, 2023 2:16 AM

Helene had just popped out a baby when they went into production for the latest season.

by Anonymousreply 298June 30, 2023 2:34 AM

"Fuck Big Lots — they sell piss and SHIT!" made me guffaw. So did the newscaster cameo (no spoilers).

A very nice finale. And they threw a lovely, sweet bone to the eldergays (not THAT kind of bone).

by Anonymousreply 299June 30, 2023 5:32 AM

Yorke looked like what a normal healthy woman should look like, r297 is crazy.

I love this shot that's featured in Variety's finale story, Brooke's dress looks divine. I enjoyed the more cinematic finale, although I thought it was hilariously prescient when Brooke said "they always come for you just when you're about to make it big". Couldn't help but think of the stories about the toxic environment breaking practically the same day this episode was coming out.

Really liked Cary's arc. You can't imagine the shit others are going through when you're in the "me, me, me" mode all the time. Absolutely loved his agent's freakout and was surprised she let him stay over. Now that's generosity.

Summa summarum, we all need a Lance in our lives. Don't get me wrong, it's nice to be your own Lance, but it's even nicer when you have someone like that around, cheering you on. Cracked up at the insinuation that he invented dabbing, but it also makes perfect sense for the character.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300June 30, 2023 5:48 AM

I really liked the finale, too. Well done.

by Anonymousreply 301June 30, 2023 11:35 AM

There's some Chase skin too...but you gots to wait for it.

by Anonymousreply 302June 30, 2023 1:00 PM

I thought it was a very satisfying finale.

by Anonymousreply 303June 30, 2023 3:03 PM

Kudos to the producers for realizing what a gem they had in Josh Segarra. Lance was pretty much a two-dimensional cartoon of a douche in S1, but the actor was so likable that they really stretched him into the only wholly likable character on the show.

And of course they responded to the demand for Josh being shirtless in almost every episode by the end.

by Anonymousreply 304July 1, 2023 2:56 AM

Agree with the sentiment. A surprisingly moving and very satisfying series finale. Obviously they knew a renewal wasn't coming.

by Anonymousreply 305July 1, 2023 4:41 AM

Could someone please interpret Cary's last scene with those delightful eldergays on the beach for me? Were they trying to say you can find your tribe anywhere, or was there some other significance to it?

by Anonymousreply 306July 1, 2023 4:50 AM

I think you can decide that for yourself, R306. Try.

by Anonymousreply 307July 1, 2023 4:53 AM

I'm interested in other people's views as well, that's why I'm here on this message board.

by Anonymousreply 308July 1, 2023 4:56 AM

It was simply a nice gesture that they welcomed him. Especially after his best friend rejected him from his normal house. It was very humane.

by Anonymousreply 309July 1, 2023 4:56 AM

Thanks, r309.

by Anonymousreply 310July 1, 2023 4:56 AM

R306 Could someone please interpret Cary's last scene with those delightful eldergays on the beach for me?

All of his interactions in the show are tainted by his insatiable thirst for being famous. This final moment was an honest interaction where he didn't want anything from them. We watched him try to fit in with the instagays and then was so taken with a guy's looks, he got into a relationship with an insane person. These guys were much older. He wasn't trying to fuck anyone or get anything out of them, other than human interaction with other gays.

by Anonymousreply 311July 1, 2023 8:12 AM

Above I wrote that Cary has an insatiable thirst for being famous. I meant "becoming famous" because that goal plays into almost every scene with him--for three seasons.

by Anonymousreply 312July 1, 2023 8:13 AM

They pulled the plug at the right place. There is nowhere new for that show to go.

The scandal about it not being renewed is sad, but the two production people everyone hated sound as awful as Cary and Brooke.

by Anonymousreply 313July 1, 2023 3:22 PM

I agree with the general consensus here. I thought it was a pitch perfect ending for the show, I wasn't sure how they were going to end this but they landed the plane.

Also I do find it funny that Josh Segerra was shirtless in literally every episode he appeared this season. I swear it seems he had more time on set not wearing a shirt than wearing one. He must have been cool with this.

by Anonymousreply 314July 2, 2023 12:27 AM

I find most sitcom finales disappointing—Seinfeld, 30 Rock, even my beloved Parks & Rec—but this one was truly satisfying.

I hope Chris Kelly works on his assholism or it's been misreported, because judging by this show and his movie Other People, he has real talent and deserves to keep making work.

by Anonymousreply 315July 3, 2023 1:57 AM

God I loved the finale. From start to finish. I laughed outloud and got a bit teary.

Chris Kelly is brilliant. Excited to see whatever he does next.

by Anonymousreply 316July 3, 2023 2:59 AM

I read an interview with Segarra and he talked about the shirtless thing and sounded like his usual golden retriever happy self, perfectly willing to do whatever

by Anonymousreply 317July 3, 2023 3:18 AM

I thought the first half of Season 3 was pretty bad and questioned whether or not to even finish it, but I'm glad I did. The second half of the season was great—and, as others have said, the finale was wonderful.

by Anonymousreply 318July 3, 2023 5:20 AM

R317, golden retriever. That's such a perfect description.

by Anonymousreply 319July 3, 2023 11:48 AM

[quote] the only wholly likable character on the show

That's not really fair. Lance is practically Mary Poppins, he's so perfect, but Chase, Pat and Streeter are all really nice people. Streeter's ethics are wobbly, but he's nowhere near the shark Shuli is. Pat's tirade, which was meant to be private, was only an honest response to being in situations she hadn't realised that of course she'd outgrown. But she was perfectly lovely to those people even as they were boring her, and mortified to have offended them with the public tweets. Chase was a real moral centre all the way through the show, unable to have his head turned by Shuli and Streeter's shenanigans. Even his "bad boy" routine was only for the sake of his ex.

Also, Curtis was lovely throughout. It took him a lot longer to hand Cary his ass than it would have taken most of us, and what tipped his hand was Cary being equally rude to his friends.

by Anonymousreply 320July 3, 2023 3:38 PM

For anyone interested, Brett Goldstein (Roy Kent in Ted Lasso) has a podcast called Films to be Buried With, and in a recent episode he interviews Helene York about the movies that have mattered in her life.

by Anonymousreply 321July 11, 2023 3:58 PM

R321 - any interesting or unexpected films she cites?

by Anonymousreply 322July 11, 2023 11:04 PM

I just finished the series and agree with R315. The first half was shaky because Carey and Brooke had become downright unlikable, but their respective character arcs redeemed them. I thought it was particularly brilliant for the pure-hearted Pat and Chase to do reprehensible things that would ruin their careers…only to have Brooke take the fall.

I loved the ending with Brooke…but the show never quite answered a question that’s lingered from episode 1: Was Streeter supposed to be as creepy as he came across. There were multiple times he came across as a child predator, but the show never quite crossed the line.

by Anonymousreply 323July 12, 2023 8:32 AM

Brooke was reprehensible but Helene Yorke really gave her a heart because she’s such a strong actor.

Not so much with Tarver but the writing was strong enough to redeem him.

by Anonymousreply 324July 12, 2023 12:32 PM

Helene Yorke should be the first millennial to play Mama Rose in the next inevitable Gypsy revival. I’m not even joking.

by Anonymousreply 325July 12, 2023 3:01 PM

The show picked up an Emmy nom! For writing, of the gay play episode. That was pretty damn brilliant.

by Anonymousreply 326July 12, 2023 10:49 PM

It ended OK but I was disappointed in S3 overall. Those characters, all of 'em, were kind of adorable in S1 and S2. S3 was some fucked up weirdness. At points I was embarrassed I'd recommended it to people.

by Anonymousreply 327August 28, 2023 10:42 PM

[quote]The show picked up an Emmy nom! For writing, of the gay play episode.

That was the second-worst episode of the whole series! (The worst episode was the Brooke is invisible episode.)

by Anonymousreply 328August 29, 2023 4:32 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!