Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Swarm on Amazon Prime

Just fell into this show about disturbed young woman who's the Superfan of a Beyoncé like singer. It's absolutely off the rails crazy hoodie/thriller and the lead actress is gonna win all the awards . Anyone else watching?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 98April 11, 2023 4:51 AM

are we a JOKE to you??????????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 17, 2023 5:20 PM

Yes, it’s good.

by Anonymousreply 2March 17, 2023 8:05 PM

Dominique Fishback was great on The Deuce. She played a prostitute who starts reading and decides to leave the life and get an education.

by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2023 8:07 PM

I read something about it this morning in The New Yorker. It's created by Donald Glover, I think. Sounded interesting.

by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2023 8:11 PM

Looks good! Thanks for the tip OP!

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2023 10:46 PM

Billie Eilish is shockingly good in it as a Boho Musical Festival Influencer cum Cult Leader

by Anonymousreply 6March 18, 2023 2:13 AM

it looks very fashion.

by Anonymousreply 7March 18, 2023 2:30 AM

[quote]Dominique Fishback was great on The Deuce. She played a prostitute who starts reading and decides to leave the life and get an education.

Dominique STOLE The Deuce with an astonishing performance. So good that I made note of her name, and am looking forward to this.

I saw her interviewed and she's bright and bubbly, nothing at all like her characters. A real actor.

by Anonymousreply 8March 18, 2023 3:47 AM

Oh shit r6, didn't even clue in that was her.

I'm 4 episodes in, will get on with my day and binge the rest tonight. It's the best thing I've seen in a while.

R7 it's an indictment of the "fashion" of obsessively engaging in social media. Told through the lens of the SM culture that obsesses over Beyonce.

by Anonymousreply 9March 18, 2023 6:03 PM

Sado Masochistic = SM ?

by Anonymousreply 10March 18, 2023 6:05 PM

Touché, r10.

by Anonymousreply 11March 18, 2023 6:08 PM

Thanks for the recommendation.

by Anonymousreply 12March 18, 2023 6:13 PM

Watched the first two episodes last night. It's simultaneously a comedy, a black comedy, a piece of pathos and a horror movie and Dominique acts the hell out of it.

The first episode even has shots that evoke both "Carrie" and Carol Speed in "Abby."

by Anonymousreply 13March 18, 2023 8:17 PM

I wonder how the 🐝 hive feels?

by Anonymousreply 14March 19, 2023 8:44 AM

^homicidal no doubt!

by Anonymousreply 15March 19, 2023 2:00 PM

Looks terrifying and great

by Anonymousreply 16March 19, 2023 2:04 PM

They should do Larries next or those batshit Twilight fans who think Rob and Kristen are still together with a family.

by Anonymousreply 17March 19, 2023 2:43 PM

Are there still Twilight fan groups and do they really think that?

by Anonymousreply 18March 19, 2023 2:51 PM

R18 yes, hkn haven is still a thing.

by Anonymousreply 19March 19, 2023 3:21 PM

I don't think this show should have a second season. I think Dre being an unreliable narrator works in this show's favor, and the questions people have should remain unanswered. It's better that way.

by Anonymousreply 20March 19, 2023 4:18 PM

Made it to episode 4 last night. Can't believe that a) Billie Eilish was that sensational and b) this is her first acting gig. She could have a second career. The camera loves her.

by Anonymousreply 21March 19, 2023 8:34 PM

yeah, shes no joke really good. maybe the best acting performance I've ever seen from a pop star

by Anonymousreply 22March 19, 2023 8:36 PM

This is really well done, very insider fashiony. Sharply observed. Darkly witty. Yet I think it's also, often, condescending to its characters and nihilistic and makes me feel dirty, like its forcing me to be appalled by the characters as much as the production is.

by Anonymousreply 23March 19, 2023 8:58 PM

Don’t be mad, but it reminds me of “Promising Young Woman”. It’s very good.

by Anonymousreply 24March 19, 2023 9:08 PM

I do feel sorry for black actresses in their thirties who are going up against Dominique. She's a generational talent.

At the beginning she's supposed to be, what, 17 or 18? And she was entirely believable as a teenager.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 19, 2023 10:26 PM

Marissa was a middle class child. Why was she living and acting so “ghetto” with Dre? Was it rebellion against her parents? Was it more unreliable narration? She would have had higher ambitions than living in a dump and being a makeup artist and being at the mercy of people lower class than herself.

Also, I LOVED the part where Hailey/Halsey believes she’s black because her father is half-black. Paris Jackson was pretty good in her part!

by Anonymousreply 26March 20, 2023 9:09 AM

R26 that was Paris Jackson!? She really was good. I thought the actress had striking blue eyes but did not make that connection at all.

by Anonymousreply 27March 20, 2023 9:54 AM

Paris Jackson was surprisingly effective. I didn't recognize her and thought she was a real actor. I watched the show over the course of an evening. Worth it even though it's pretty sad.

by Anonymousreply 28March 20, 2023 9:58 AM

[Quote] Also, I LOVED the part where Hailey/Halsey believes she’s black because her father is half-black. Paris Jackson was pretty good in her part!

I hope the real Halsey doesn't have a meltdown over it 😄

by Anonymousreply 29March 20, 2023 10:41 AM

R28, I watched the entire thing, too. Although there were a few things I didn’t love about it, overall, I thought it was excellent. I think it rivals “White Lotus” in every way.

As another commenter said, I don’t think there needs to be another season. Maybe it would be fun to follow another hive member; the cuckoo man who seemed to have an internal tug-of-war of whether he’s commit murder for Ni’Jah. It doesn’t have to be murder, it could be doxxing or other fuckery.

Anyone else see the parallels to “Promising Young Woman”?

by Anonymousreply 30March 20, 2023 11:50 AM

Seven episodes was enough. One more episode and it would have been overkill. Although the series is overall quite good, it’s still though to watch and very dark. It’s also not exactly exhilarating when murder isn’t occurring.

by Anonymousreply 31March 20, 2023 12:30 PM

Watching it now. Wow, the first episode was hard to watch, her character is just so...off and is treated as such. And then it suddenly got insane and now I'm on episode 4 and plan to finish it today. It's pretty captivating. Paris Jackson is hilarious as her stripper buddy on episode two.

by Anonymousreply 32March 20, 2023 3:33 PM

Malia Obama co-wrote an episode!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 20, 2023 3:48 PM

[quote]Dominique Fishback was great on The Deuce. She played a prostitute who starts reading and decides to leave the life and get an education.

Reminds me of the old joke:

Teacher: "Please use 'horticulture' in a sentence."

Student: "You can lead a horticulture but you can't make her think."

by Anonymousreply 34March 20, 2023 3:52 PM

I didn't notice she was supposed to be "queer" but of course pink news is all over it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 20, 2023 5:49 PM

I saw Paris Jackson in some forgettable movie with Kelsey Grammer, not realizing who she was. I was like “who is THIS?” She’s quite beautiful and charismatic.

by Anonymousreply 36March 21, 2023 9:26 PM

Thanks OP for the alert. The faux documentary episode is a lot of fun. Donald is showing so much talent in his productions, maybe he’ll eclipse Jordan Peele.

by Anonymousreply 37March 21, 2023 10:23 PM

I enjoyed this and stayed up into the wee hours to watch it. It is difficult to watch at times as other posters have mentioned.

by Anonymousreply 38March 21, 2023 10:28 PM

The documentary episode seemed to throw some people off. Maybe it should have been the final episode?

by Anonymousreply 39March 21, 2023 10:29 PM

The doc episode was a hoot!

by Anonymousreply 40March 21, 2023 10:45 PM

I didn’t mind it.

by Anonymousreply 41March 21, 2023 10:51 PM

Didn’t work for me. I did think Billie Eillish was surprisingly good, but overall i didn’t get into at all. I did like the episode with the girl who said she was black “like Halsey.” Such a dig.

by Anonymousreply 42March 21, 2023 11:10 PM

Billie Eillish was perfect in her role. She was captivating in those one-on-one sessions with Dre, even though the other actress was doing the more dramatic acting.

by Anonymousreply 43March 22, 2023 11:36 AM

I'm watching, inspired by this thread. It's compelling I guess but god what a revolting character.

by Anonymousreply 44March 22, 2023 12:23 PM

R42, the fun part of that dig was that the actress is Paris Jackson. Michael Jackson’s daughter.

by Anonymousreply 45March 22, 2023 1:45 PM

Seriously? I had no idea that was Paris r45!

by Anonymousreply 46March 22, 2023 1:47 PM

It makes fun of stupid black people in most episodes. And includes clownish flaming black gay characters, who are also condescended to. The episodes drag on. The series starts strong, shoots its shot, and then is just hipster sneering at the unhip. The actors, their acting, the production, the styling, all super hip and applied to trash characters they are making fun of. By the end I found it really offensive and repulsive.

by Anonymousreply 47March 25, 2023 12:12 AM

It didn't really catch my eye when I kept seeing the title card on Prime. But people keep saying it's crazy fun. Maybe I'll check it out.

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2023 1:14 AM

I decided to check it out after learning Dominique Fishback was in it. It wasn't what I expected, and I ended watching the whole series in one day. I also didn't recognize Paris Jackson, and Billie Eilish was unexpectedly great. She's a better actress than a singer.

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2023 4:14 AM

I binged it yesterday and Dominic did a fantastic job. Billie really held her own in the cult episode. The references to Sanaa, Solange and Bey cracked me up. Festival from "Ni'jah" is now stuck in my head.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2023 4:56 AM

For some reason Dre's visit to the cellphone store with the cheerful queen really cracked me up.

by Anonymousreply 51March 25, 2023 6:06 AM

I’m watching this now. I find it super weird, but I’m going to continue on.

by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2023 10:29 PM

A bit unconvincing how everyone adored and pursued Dre.

by Anonymousreply 53March 26, 2023 7:16 AM

That's part of the cynicism of the creators, R53. Dre often can't even say hello to people. And she's plainly cagey as fuck. But her victims include stupid vulnerable people and as the series dragged on it pushed me to consider their murders as somewhat their own fault for being: corrupt, inauthentic, mean and/or vapid, or victims themselves. They play with fire and get burned. Dre is a chaos character and is also a devil created by the mediated zeitgeist. The series is so very clever but doesn't respect most of its characters.

by Anonymousreply 54March 26, 2023 9:19 AM

Thanks for the heads up on this. What a fucking trip. It’s equal parts can’t look away ambulance chasing horror, comedy, suspense and brilliant acting.

by Anonymousreply 55March 26, 2023 9:57 AM

R53 the strippers didn't.

by Anonymousreply 56March 26, 2023 11:42 AM

Hmm good points R54.

by Anonymousreply 57March 26, 2023 12:57 PM

A few of the kills may be of characters who the viewer can feel empathetic/sympathetic. For example Paris Jackson's stripper is killed as collateral damage because Dre can see Hailey's a dingbat and Dre just murdered Hailey's abusive boyfriend. Hailey is manic and trouble for Dre. A weight.

Hailey is pretty sympathetic as a character but It's possible the writers/creator are killing Hailey for her ridiculous claim of being black. Rather than Dre doing it for some Dre reason.

Killing the people who hate Ni’Jah makes senses in the world of the narrative and Dre sociopath logic. Some are Social media trolls who don't actually hate Ji'Jah but just need attention online.

by Anonymousreply 58March 26, 2023 1:08 PM

The girlfriend is killed because she was slumming with Dre. She's a bourgeois woman and considers Dre stupid when they FIRST meet, and is just turned on by Dre's working-class ghetto lesbian cosplay as a man. She's strangled when she calls Dre stupid for Dre doing exactly what Dre does. That girlfriend knew that's who Dre was all along. What a cunt. I'm kind of glad Dre strangled the rich bitch.

by Anonymousreply 59March 26, 2023 1:11 PM

[Quote] Some are Social media trolls who don't actually hate Ji'Jah but just need attention online.

Which they showed when Drea confronted Reggie about his tweets. It was uncomfortable as fuck and the other strippers were baffled by her.

by Anonymousreply 60March 26, 2023 1:12 PM

Eilish's character, Eva, is an evil narcissistic witch, cosplaying as a healer. Eva does hypnotism and mind fucks with ease. She realises Dre is a killer and she is so into her own "power" she keeps playing with Dre. Haha. She gets burned.

by Anonymousreply 61March 26, 2023 1:14 PM

R59 that doesn't mean Rashida deserved to die. And her argument was the same one Marissa had with Drea before dying.

by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2023 1:16 PM

Dre delights in killing bourgeois bitches, female and male. Is it the second kill? The black man in the contemporary mansion? Also that women's cult is very high bourgeois - that's was the entire point, it seemed.

As I said, the series is very very clever, it's very cutting social satire, but, it's super cynical and most characters are repulsive types the creator doesn't like. Remember that Laura Dern series Enlightened - every character made my skin crawl.

It's a genre of series. When all characters are cringe.

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2023 1:19 PM

R62 Yes in OUR WORLD Rashida doesn't deserve to be serial killed. IN the morality of the serial killer narrative, that's why she gets it. And yeah she was slumming and slumming is a bitch move.

by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2023 1:21 PM

Also, R62 - Dre is despicable, broken and sociopathic. She's reduced to a cunning, killing, animal on the run, at the end of the first episode. Rashida overloads Dre with truths about Dre, which Dre can't take on. Just like her sister in adoption did.

by Anonymousreply 65March 26, 2023 1:25 PM
by Anonymousreply 66March 26, 2023 2:29 PM

Per DL's recommendation, I am on epidote 5. I watched 4 episodes last night. I don't know what to make of it, but I am interested to see where this is going. I always love concepts and characters that are just totally out there. If not heard of the lead actress, but she is really delivering a powerful performance. Equally impressed with Paris Jackson and Billie Ellish. When DL is emphatic about a certain show or movie, you all are usually pretty spot on.

by Anonymousreply 67March 26, 2023 5:48 PM

There was a thread here recently about a lawyer who felt bad that someone like a construction worker wouldn’t really date him. What happened between Rashida and Dre is a good example of why. Because somewhere down the line, during an argument, the class/education issue would be used as a cudgel. That killing also reminded me of “The Talented Mr. Ripley”, when Tom kills his lover at the end. Same kind of thing.

by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2023 6:52 PM

I might have to re-watch this, to understand Marissa better. Someone upthread mentioned that the version of the Jackson’s and their home was less grand in the documentary. In Dre’s “universe”, the house was rather opulent, and someone said they were different actors?

by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2023 6:59 PM

OP who is your favorite artist?

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2023 8:07 PM

Billie Eillish is good! She's shockingly really good. Why is she not acting instead of whisper cooing with her brother? Why is this?

Paris Jackson?! Great sense of humor about things with her. I read that she wrote her main bit, if you will, about Halsey. Paris Jackson is truly very pretty in reality and I guess she borrowed one of her "aunt" LaToya's wigs from back in the day for her scenes.

This with Swarm has been quite alright. It's very creative. I'm trying not to spoil anything. With the streams and such it's not like everyone watches things when they first air.

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2023 10:29 PM

It’s creative and fresh - I enjoyed watching it.

by Anonymousreply 72March 26, 2023 10:53 PM

The "therapy" scenes between Billie Eiillish and Dre reminded me of Get Out.

by Anonymousreply 73March 27, 2023 2:42 AM

[Quote] Someone upthread mentioned that the version of the Jackson’s and their home was less grand in the documentary. In Dre’s “universe”, the house was rather opulent, and someone said they were different actors?

Yes, the documentary episode showed the real people. You notice the mother is a lot more softer and the father was long gone. I'm wondering how Drea got in touch with Marissa again after they got rid of her? And how did Marissa get over what happened at the sleepover?

[Quote] OP who is your favorite artist?

And do they have more than 26 Grammys?

by Anonymousreply 74March 27, 2023 3:56 AM

Are there any gay male characters in it?

by Anonymousreply 75March 27, 2023 4:04 AM

[quote]Are there any gay male characters in it?

There's a very funny cellphone store employee who's gay with a tinge of nonbinary vibes.

And one of the Ni'Jah stans is also a flaming queen (also, very funny).

by Anonymousreply 76March 27, 2023 4:07 AM

[Quote] And one of the Ni'Jah stans is also a flaming queen (also, very funny).

Seeing him debate over whether he would actually kill someone while wearing Ivy Park clothes was 👌🤣

by Anonymousreply 77March 27, 2023 4:14 AM

I just finished and really enjoyed it. It was fresh, well acted, I never knew where it was going, and I love a great ending. I was a refreshing change of pace from the shit Netflix puts out. All the actors, especially the lead, were fantastic. The gays were great in this - very funny.

by Anonymousreply 78March 30, 2023 2:38 AM

[quote]There's a very funny cellphone store employee who's gay with a tinge of nonbinary vibes.

That was a woman.

by Anonymousreply 79March 30, 2023 3:55 AM

R79, I thought it was a man. Not looking to get into an argument, or anything. Just genuinely surprised that someone else saw them as a woman! I’ll take another look.

by Anonymousreply 80March 30, 2023 9:30 AM

R79 Rickey Thompson is a woman?

by Anonymousreply 81March 30, 2023 10:05 AM

R74 I am sorry to inform you that the documentary Episode 6 is NOT "real people". It is another set of actors, perhaps again representing (loosely) real people.

by Anonymousreply 82March 30, 2023 11:25 AM

The phone store character is a flaming queen MAN. In my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 83March 30, 2023 11:26 AM

You don't say R82

by Anonymousreply 84March 30, 2023 11:29 AM

Team Ni’Jah!

by Anonymousreply 85March 30, 2023 7:07 PM

R80 you can tell by the face and physical makeup. Was a woman or FTM

by Anonymousreply 86March 31, 2023 1:45 AM

Also not looking into getting into an argument. Originally thought was a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 87March 31, 2023 1:46 AM

Nothing compares to MY performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 31, 2023 2:25 AM

There are two gay men and both are hilarious. One is a Nijs super fan and the other works in cell phone shop, which was one of my favorite scenes.

by Anonymousreply 89March 31, 2023 3:06 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 31, 2023 8:29 AM

Amazing show! I'll give it 9 out of 10!

The girl is a massive psychobitch and I love her!!!!

by Anonymousreply 91March 31, 2023 9:49 AM

There’s also a the gay man who gets her into the gym.

by Anonymousreply 92March 31, 2023 1:38 PM

The flaming gay who is Nijs super fan is funny but a caricature and a negative one. He clearly struggles to say that violence and muder would not be correct in response to an insult to Nijs.

But yeah, a funny performance.

The phone shop man is funny and not condescended to, finally, because he sticks his ground and has morality and not a fool. He's a great "shop bottom".

The gay man who gets her into the gym is a stereotype and the writers condescend to the character, who is a clown.

by Anonymousreply 93March 31, 2023 1:43 PM

I guess a gay "man". There's no way that person has a penis.

by Anonymousreply 94March 31, 2023 9:45 PM

Loving this hoe! I mean show!

On Episode 3. OMG I didn’t know that was Paris Jackson? She was great, and is stunning.

by Anonymousreply 95April 11, 2023 4:10 AM

Donald Glover is a transphobe who thinks trans are mentally ill sociopaths who murder people. Shame on his TERF ass.

by Anonymousreply 96April 11, 2023 4:19 AM

R96 and why would you expect DLers to care? They're not going to condemn him. Wrong site.

by Anonymousreply 97April 11, 2023 4:28 AM

Huh r96, I took at as Beyoncé fans who are mentally ill sociopaths. She was fine as Tony until she found out the GF didn’t like Ni’Jah

by Anonymousreply 98April 11, 2023 4:51 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!