Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

New seafood restaurant is putting fish in everything, even dessert

It’s a fitting look for a seafood restaurant named Aphotic after the deep, uncharted ocean layer the sun’s light can barely reach.

“The name gets deep to the root of what we’re doing as a restaurant. There’s a lot of mystery,” said chef-owner Peter Hemsley, an alum of San Francisco’s Michelin-starred Quince, who opened Palette, his first solo restaurant, at the same address, 816 Folsom St., in 2019.

With a dining room re-creating its namesake darkness, Hemsley’s goal is to take diners into the unknown when Aphotic opens for dinner on Tuesday, March 21.

The restaurant’s dishes, served a la carte and on a $230, 10-course tasting menu, will all feature seafood, from a first-course trout from Mount Lassen Trout farm to an oyster ice cream dessert.

They’ll also showcase unconventional ways of handling fish from head to tail, as well as seafood products often overlooked in a fine-dining environment.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2023 5:53 PM

Sounds vile. But because I am bored and fed up with the covid situation, I am tempted to try this out as a novelty.

by Anonymousreply 1March 16, 2023 9:53 PM

Yeeee-UCK.

by Anonymousreply 2March 16, 2023 10:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 17, 2023 11:29 AM

gimmick

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 17, 2023 11:54 AM

We need more mercury in our diet.

by Anonymousreply 5March 17, 2023 12:54 PM

As a dessert tragic, I deplore this new vogue for making the dessert essentially savoury. I thought chefs were supposed to provide dynamics and balance across a meal?

PS I also think ice cream is a seriously lazy dessert to serve at a restaurant, no matter what combination of shit you've put in it.

by Anonymousreply 6March 17, 2023 1:47 PM

[quote]They’ll also showcase unconventional ways of handling fish

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 7March 17, 2023 1:50 PM

Stunt menus deserve their initial rush of attention and then their demise.

by Anonymousreply 8March 17, 2023 1:50 PM

So a restaurant that calls itself after the deep bottom of the ocean and surrounds you in darkness to simulate ocean depths…… serves farmed river fish.

by Anonymousreply 9March 17, 2023 5:03 PM

As a non seafood eater, I bet I could smell the stench from a mile away.

by Anonymousreply 10March 17, 2023 5:09 PM

Odd location. Everything closed around there. Good luck to them. They’ll need it.

by Anonymousreply 11March 17, 2023 5:16 PM

If there's one thing I know from the news these past years, it's that right now is an excellent time to open a restaurant in San Francisco. Amazing business plan.

by Anonymousreply 12March 17, 2023 5:53 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!