Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Drop Kamala Harris, 'Hollywood stars urge Joe Biden'

A group of Hollywood Democrats, including major stars, has reportedly urged Joe Biden to drop Kamala Harris as running mate.

CNN said the group voiced its doubts about the vice-president in a Zoom call with former California senator Barbara Boxer.

Oscar-winning actress Helen Hunt, actor Ron Livingston and Beverly Hills, 90210 star Gabrielle Carteris were on the call.

According to CNN, the group complained to Ms Boxer – who preceded Ms Harris in the Senate – that the vice -president was a political liability.

Ms Harris’s polling ratings remain negative, with 49.5 per cent of voters disapproving of her record and only 41.9 per cent supporting her, according to the Five Thirty Eight polling site.

It is not only Hollywood that has been lukewarm about Ms Harris remaining on the ticket.

In January, Massachusetts senator and former presidential candidate Elizabeth Warren was less than effusive about Ms Harris.

“I really want to defer to what makes Biden comfortable on his team,” she said – much to the annoyance of the vice-president’s supporters.

“Pretty insulting”, one of Ms Harris’s supporters told CNN as Ms Warren, who rivalled Ms Harris for the 2020 nomination, tried to limit the damage.

Ms Warren’s spokesman said the remarks were a fumbling, unintentional attempt to avoid stepping on a campaign announcement from Mr Biden.

Hints of Hollywood’s disillusion with Ms Harris will ring alarm bells among Democrat strategists, given the long association between the entertainment industry and the party.

Not only does Hollywood provide glamour to the party but the industry digs deep into its pockets to support it. For example, the Biden 2020 campaign raked in $750,000 in one night.

Hollywood had hailed Ms Harris when she became the first woman and first American and south-Asian American to become vice-president.

“In tears watching this extraordinary moment for women in the US and the world,” tweeted Oprah Winfrey at the time.

Critics say she has been a disappointment, failing to deliver on tackling the immigration crisis on the Mexican border.

Her allies, however, argue that the assignment was virtually impossible.

Ms Harris’s office has seen an unusually high turnover in staff, with one former aide complaining to the normally supportive Washington Post, accusing her of bullying.

Given that Mr Biden will be 81 should he, as expected, run again in 2024, the choice of his running mate will be particularly significant.

“Right now, she seems to be an albatross,” one key Democratic activist told CNN.

Dropping a vice-president from the ticket is not unprecedented. For example, Franklin Roosevelt had three: John Nance Garner, Henry Wallace and Harry Truman.

Dwight Eisenhower was under pressure from some Republicans to drop Richard Nixon in 1956.

In recent months, there has been a concerted attempt to bolster Ms Harris’s standing, notably her high-profile appearance at the Munich security conference, underlining strong US support for Ukraine.

The vice-president has also been at the forefront of the administration’s defence of women’s reproductive rights following the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v Wade.

Democrats believe that their party’s stand on abortion could be pivotal in winning the support of women voters next year.

Ms Harris also has powerful allies on Capitol Hill.

New Jersey senator Cory Booker described Ms Harris as an invaluable asset.

“In some of the tough battleground states, she’s going to be pretty damn powerful, frankly.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185April 8, 2023 1:11 PM

Joe had better make up his mind soon.

The debates are this Fall, and the first Democratic Primary is only 10 months away.

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2023 4:50 PM

Joe has boxed himself in with stating his VP would be a black woman.

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2023 4:55 PM

Are these the dame Democratic Hollywood Stars who urged Obama to ditch Biden for term 2?

by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2023 4:56 PM

That was in 2020, R2.

It's not the case now.

He did what he said he was going to do, back then.

Now he's free to change his mind and go in a different direction.

by Anonymousreply 4March 13, 2023 4:56 PM

I do look to Helen Hunt for my political opinions.

by Anonymousreply 5March 13, 2023 4:57 PM

I think that people are worried that he's getting older and will be 82 at the next election in 2024.

Think about that. 82 years old!!!

People are right to want him to choose someone better as his back up, should anything happen to him during his second term in office.

We've already seen what Kamala can do, and she doesn't inspire confidence.

The VP is only a heart beat away from the Presidency. Remember that.

by Anonymousreply 6March 13, 2023 4:59 PM

I would love to see Kamala Harris on the Supreme Court, replaced by Val Demings as VP. Demings’ law enforcement background would help mitigate the GOP’s one argument that is resonating with the public-that Dems are soft on crime.

by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2023 5:01 PM

Kamala doesn't have the smarts or decorum for the Supreme Court. She's a figure head, could be on a non - profit's board. Biden needs someone who could inspire cofidence and step in if needed.

by Anonymousreply 8March 13, 2023 5:05 PM

I would feel completely comfortable with Tim Ryan or Gavin Newsom as Biden's VP.

by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2023 5:08 PM

Kamala is good for gifs and memes. She is a meme Queen.

by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2023 5:12 PM

She’s a moron. Listening to her talk is embarrassing

by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2023 5:17 PM

No one is going to vote Republican because they don't like the Democratic VP choice. And no Democrat is going to stay home because they don't like Harris. But there might be a lot of people who will feel resentment if a woman of color is replaced by a man or a non-POC.

This is a solution looking for a problem.

by Anonymousreply 12March 13, 2023 5:32 PM

This is a solution looking for a problem.

Ordinarily, I would agree with you. But there is one huge factor that changes your argument: Biden is OLD and getting older.

During a second term, he would be 82-86 years old.

The chances of him becoming incapacitate, go up exponentially.

Therefore, it's not unreasonable to want his running mate to be someone who can step up to the job in an instant, and who people with feel comfortable with becoming President.

by Anonymousreply 13March 13, 2023 5:37 PM

What a laugh that these Hollywood donors are complaining that she has "failed to deliver".

What in her background suggested that she was capable of being Vice President? She was picked because she checked off several diversity boxes. Pete B, is in the same category.

Hollywood does the same thing with casting and often ends up the same dismal results.

If Joe hadn't been pushed in this direction he would never have picked her.

by Anonymousreply 14March 13, 2023 5:41 PM

R12, I disagree. People have older parents and grandparents. They recognize when they at the point that there is a real chance they might pass or become seriously ill in a short amount of time. That is what people see when they look at Joe Biden.

by Anonymousreply 15March 13, 2023 5:45 PM

The backbone of the dem party is not Hollywood, it's black women. Try replacing her with a random white man/woman and see where that gets you.

by Anonymousreply 16March 13, 2023 5:47 PM

If President Biden or the Democratic Party gets rid of VP Harris, they will lose. It will alienate a huge portion of their base. Just the facts.

by Anonymousreply 17March 13, 2023 5:49 PM

Folks, this is a done deal. Biden chose Kamala despite the vociferous (and what turned out to be on-point) objections, and it's not up for discussion. R12 is spot on despite that it was perhaps Biden's greatest blunder so far. But like other blunders, it's one we'll have to live with because the optics of forcing Harris off the ticket are too obvious and moreover too great an opportunity to hand to the Republicans. And at the end of the day, R16 and R17 are correct.

by Anonymousreply 18March 13, 2023 5:51 PM

Pete for Veep! We need a young firebrand on the ticket. Or Warren-Pete.

by Anonymousreply 19March 13, 2023 6:23 PM

Anyone who suggests that Kamala be replaced is clueless about today's American politics. Stop wishing.

by Anonymousreply 20March 13, 2023 6:46 PM

It was obvious early on that she was over her head and woefully unprepared to be a heart beat away from the Presidency. She embarassed the administration and herself by her lack of rudimentary knowledge of American foreign policy. She's the Dems Sarah Palin when it comes to the Deptartment of State. So they decided to keep her in country and put her in charge of something that would test her ability to deal with domestic issues. Was it wrong to assume that she might be more effective dealing with issues related to immigration at our southern border having served as a Senator from California? Apparently so. Look. Biden will dump her if he thinks it is expedient to do so. His camp is floating this trial balloon to gauge reaction from big dog Democrats and donors. They aren't concerned right now with a disgruntled base.

by Anonymousreply 21March 13, 2023 7:32 PM

None of the people on that call were major stars, nor are they major celebrity donors or campaigners for Democrats.

Fuck 'em. President Biden will choose who he wants for the VP job. It has been statistically proven that people don't vote for the VP pick so it doesn't fucking matter.

by Anonymousreply 22March 13, 2023 7:36 PM

R22, you're right. And that's why it's okay if Biden dumps her.

by Anonymousreply 23March 13, 2023 7:37 PM

If he picks the gay rat, I'll vote Republican. Enough is enough of these white Dems playing in our faces.

by Anonymousreply 24March 13, 2023 7:39 PM

On the other hand, Newsom is the only chance Dems have at this point. Biden's mental decline is very apparent, and I'm saying this as someone who voted for him and wants him to succeed.

by Anonymousreply 25March 13, 2023 7:40 PM

"The VP is only a heart beat away from the Presidency. Remember that."

R6 = constitutional scholar.

by Anonymousreply 26March 13, 2023 7:48 PM

DL is so "concerned" about Kamala Harris becoming president but has no problem handing the key directly to Pete Buttigieg if given the chance...

by Anonymousreply 27March 13, 2023 7:52 PM

What mental decline? He cornered the GOP with an ad lib during his SOTU speech.

Biden wanted Amy Klobuchar as VP, but George Floyd happened and he was cornered into the Black woman VP thing, which gave him very limited options.

That said, he's stuck with Harris. The blowback is too risky--the Democrats need every vote in Georgia.

by Anonymousreply 28March 13, 2023 7:53 PM

Yepper. If you want astute political advice, go to Hell And Hunt.

by Anonymousreply 29March 13, 2023 8:12 PM

Biden is not going to replace Harris with a gay man r27. Not even one as smart as PB. The party can weather replacing her with another person of color. Most likely another woman. But imagine the blow back SHE will face regardless of how qualified and capable she is. Joe had better choices. But someone with influence wanted KH. Be careful what you ask for...

by Anonymousreply 30March 13, 2023 8:17 PM

My statement is about the hypocrisy of DL, R30.

There are countless posts/threads here about PB being president one day, even though he's incompetent as hell (despite being smart). Yet they're so concerned about KH's ability, who was a senator and a DA.

by Anonymousreply 31March 13, 2023 8:27 PM

She's fucked. Hollywood was essentially the only group that supported her 2020 campaign.

by Anonymousreply 32March 13, 2023 8:37 PM

I like Kamala, but she's over! We need Pete!

by Anonymousreply 33March 13, 2023 8:44 PM

I agree with Helen Hunt. Kamala needs to go.

by Anonymousreply 34March 13, 2023 8:48 PM

“ … No one is going to vote Republican because they don't like the Democratic VP choice. And no Democrat is going to stay home because they don't like Harris … “

However, if Biden replaces Harris with anyone who is not a Black female, women & minorities will stay home.

by Anonymousreply 35March 13, 2023 8:57 PM

R35 Then they will have no one to blame but themselves when DeSantis wins.

by Anonymousreply 36March 13, 2023 8:57 PM

R36, yeah, well, some of us would prefer not to risk that.

I think what this really says is that KH won't be the post-Biden pick in 2028.

by Anonymousreply 37March 13, 2023 9:19 PM

[quote]Hollywood had hailed Ms Harris when she became the first woman and first American and south-Asian American to become vice-president.

Uh....she's not the first American.

First woman? Yes. First south-Asian American? Yes. But not the first American.

by Anonymousreply 38March 13, 2023 9:31 PM

[quote]Biden wanted Amy Klobuchar as VP, but George Floyd happened and he was cornered into the Black woman VP thing, which gave him very limited options.

I thought that was his SCOTUS nominee, not VP.

by Anonymousreply 39March 13, 2023 9:32 PM

Has KHive started a new revisionist history that only their queen is actually American?

by Anonymousreply 40March 13, 2023 9:32 PM

Biden would’ve won by a larger margin had he selected charismatic Midwestern centrist Amy Klobuchar.

by Anonymousreply 41March 13, 2023 9:42 PM

[quote]He did what he said he was going to do, back then. Now he's free to change his mind and go in a different direction.

You seem a little out of your depth on this. That's not how it works. Washington is all about back door deals and "You do for me, and I'll do for you".

Kamala did her part. She helped Biden get elected. Now it's his turn to man up and pay back.

Yeah, he's free to go in a different direction provided that road he's sending Kamala on is WELL paved, practically in fucking gold. She's not stepping down for anything less. Nor should she.

by Anonymousreply 42March 13, 2023 9:43 PM

Lol what did Kamala do to get Biden elected? He could have gotten the same results from any other black woman and he would have been better off choosing Stacey Abrams who is actually charismatic and well-liked.

by Anonymousreply 43March 13, 2023 9:50 PM

R39, No, he always said he was going to put a Black woman on the Supreme Court. He said that before George Floyd was killed. He left the VP thing open. After James Clyburn basically saved his campaign with the South Carolina primary and the Black Lives Matter protests started, he was pretty much cornered into picking a Black woman VP and Harris had the best resume of a really limited selection.

Biden wanted Klobuchar because Amy K. is very, very good at getting bills through the Senate and she plays well in the Rust Belt.

I've always felt that Biden resents being pressured into picking Harris after she did that racist thing at the debate and has left her out to dry.

by Anonymousreply 44March 13, 2023 9:51 PM

[quote]I've always felt that Biden resents being pressured into picking Harris after she did that racist thing at the debate and has left her out to dry.

She called him out for making gushing remarks about working with segregationists and his history of opposing busing. And had he prepared for that debate and had an answer ready to counterattack that claim, he would have been fine. But he waltzed into that debate acting like he already won the race, and he got a swift and fast reality check with deafening applause. Welcome to politics. Considering that was his third time running, his lack of preparation was inexcusable. Can't blame Harris for that.

And if he's leaving her "out to dry" that just shows how petty he is. Biden contradicted Obama MANY times during Obama's tenure which was disrespectful, but Obama always treated him with respect.

by Anonymousreply 45March 13, 2023 9:58 PM

[quote]Biden wanted Klobuchar because Amy K. is very, very good at getting bills through the Senate and she plays well in the Rust Belt.

The problem was the rest of the country, where she came off as a flaming asshole with zero likeability factor and no control of her temper. There was also her intense fixation on Buttigieg, which reeked of homophobia.

by Anonymousreply 46March 13, 2023 10:00 PM

I warned you she was a feckless cunt but you loooove your MSNBC!

by Anonymousreply 47March 13, 2023 10:04 PM

Gabrielle Carteris? So a bunch of nobodies. No one votes for the person who is #2 on the ticket. Polls have shown this time and again

by Anonymousreply 48March 13, 2023 10:07 PM

Yes, Gabrielle Carteris.

by Anonymousreply 49March 13, 2023 10:12 PM

I cannot deal with the Gavin Newsom is our only hope troll. You cannot be serious. That man is spineless ness in a good suit and he will be roundly mocked with pictures of the homeless situation in CA. He is hated by a huge portion of voters in his own state! He can’t win over anyone else. Plus there’s the whole Kimberly guild Pyle thing. Serious judgment issues.

by Anonymousreply 50March 13, 2023 10:13 PM

What women DON’T want…. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 51March 13, 2023 10:14 PM

I fully understand the older Joe gets, the more his VP matters. But I honestly don't recall what most vice presidents accomplish during their stay in the office.

by Anonymousreply 52March 13, 2023 10:43 PM

Even Elizabeth Warren wants her replaced.

That's how you know Kamala is not respected in DC.

by Anonymousreply 53March 14, 2023 11:53 AM

[quote]actor Ron Livingston and Beverly Hills, 90210 star Gabrielle Carteris were on the call.

What STAR power! Was Joyce DeWitt busy?

by Anonymousreply 54March 14, 2023 12:12 PM

[quote] Even Elizabeth Warren wants her replaced.

with herself.

by Anonymousreply 55March 14, 2023 12:23 PM

This sounds like a poisonous whisper campaign, a troll attack, spreading through social media, being fecklessly propagated by people who don't recognize it for what it is. Stop amplifying it.

by Anonymousreply 56March 14, 2023 2:01 PM

Is there any precedent for a president switching his VP for the second term?

by Anonymousreply 57March 14, 2023 2:24 PM

Kamala was Joe's insurance and greatest protection from being Lee Harvey Oswalded, no? With her around, no altright loon would dare.

by Anonymousreply 58March 14, 2023 2:25 PM

[quote] I cannot deal with the Gavin Newsom is our only hope troll

Something I find incredibly shady about Newsom. When he was married to Kimberly--well, that's shady too, but anyway--he said that he went to rehab for alcohol. Then, a few years ago, he was interviewed and admitted he never went to rehab and he still drinks. He's hardly the first politician to have a substance abuse issue but I don't trust him.

by Anonymousreply 59March 14, 2023 3:14 PM

Honestly, she just seems kind of there so far. I would honestly love if the following is true, but I don't see it.

[quote] The vice-president has also been at the forefront of the administration’s defence of women’s reproductive rights following the Supreme Court’s overturning of Roe v Wade.

Sorry, but citation needed.

by Anonymousreply 60March 14, 2023 4:10 PM

Foolishness

by Anonymousreply 61March 14, 2023 4:11 PM

Would love some idea of why Cori Booker thinks this is true, also.

[quote] “In some of the tough battleground states, she’s going to be pretty damn powerful, frankly.”

Why and how? Is she super popular with Black people? Are you sure? Is first "South Asian" just a box to click or is there actually any real appeal there for any living voter? If not, what is it? How is she going to nail down Georgia or Michigan or any other battleground state?

by Anonymousreply 62March 14, 2023 4:18 PM

Black people weren't behind her in the primary so I don't know why people think she's so popular with them now.

by Anonymousreply 63March 14, 2023 4:20 PM

[quote]Is there any precedent for a president switching his VP for the second term?

Did you not even bother to read the thread? Or at the very fucking least the goddamn OP?

by Anonymousreply 64March 14, 2023 4:33 PM

It's not a whisper campaign if people are saying it out loud r56. And this is just the beginning. Calling her critics trolls and wicked gossip mongerers is childish. Warren will take the heat for being the first to say it in public but the fact that she's saying it at all means many of them are saying it in private. She's the Dems canary in the coal mine.

by Anonymousreply 65March 14, 2023 4:59 PM

It's also silly to think this so called 'whisper campaign' isn't coming from Team Biden. Because it most definitely is.

by Anonymousreply 66March 14, 2023 5:02 PM

[quote] Helen Hunt, actor Ron Livingston and Beverly Hills, 90210 star Gabrielle Carteris

Well, if those A-listers say so, then I guess Kamala has to go!

by Anonymousreply 67March 14, 2023 5:15 PM

Kamala Harris: Ballot Box Poison 2024

by Anonymousreply 68March 14, 2023 5:18 PM

R59 I think he's intelligent and effective but he definitely comes off like a slimeball. Personally, I don't give a fuck if he is or not. But I think Trump would destroy him. His son is with his ex-wife, can you imagine how nasty the Trumps could get toward him? They can make up any lie they want and everyone will believe it. He's effete and oozes rich smugness, outside of California they will HATE HATE HATE him.

by Anonymousreply 69March 14, 2023 5:34 PM

Hollywood is such a cesspool. Where’s Ricky Gervais to roast these morons?

by Anonymousreply 70March 14, 2023 5:38 PM

[quote] I would love to see Kamala Harris on the Supreme Court

The woman who bought Jussie’s story and can’t even answer a simple question? Are you high?

by Anonymousreply 71March 14, 2023 5:39 PM

I agree with you and said the same thing in a previous post r66. Using Warren as the first bell ringer is the tell. However, I don't believe she wants to be the lame duck replacement. No Democrat who aspires to be President will accept being Biden's thankless sloppy seconds.

by Anonymousreply 72March 14, 2023 6:31 PM

Not to mention the sleazy inside dirt the ex-wife has already dished to Cokey, r69.

by Anonymousreply 73March 14, 2023 6:38 PM

I want to suck Gavin's big, fat COCK!!!

by Anonymousreply 74March 14, 2023 11:12 PM

Oh yeah,let's all take Hollywood's advice. They can't even handle the best picture winner this year.

by Anonymousreply 75March 14, 2023 11:52 PM

Helen Hunt is an Oscar winner. Can Kamala say the same???

by Anonymousreply 76March 15, 2023 7:33 AM

The truth is, she hasn’t actually fucked anything up. She makes people nervous, but the fact that she does says more about her detractors than it does about her or her skills.

by Anonymousreply 77March 15, 2023 7:41 AM

I think it'd be too controversial for him to drop her. Have any presidents who ran for a second term dropped their VP?

by Anonymousreply 78March 15, 2023 8:04 AM

Why is she suddenly a liability? She's just ..there. Like most VP's.

by Anonymousreply 79March 15, 2023 8:06 AM

[quote] I want to suck Gavin's big, fat COCK!!!

Are you a Republican? Because if you are, you can.

by Anonymousreply 80March 15, 2023 8:28 AM

[quote] Why is she suddenly a liability?

Suddenly?

[quote]She's just ..there. Like most VP's.

No, she hasn’t. She’s been out there speaking like an idiot and doing things like not going to the border because she doesn’t have to - but she’ll surely talk about it. The woman is a non-stop dumpster fire. She’s the gaffe that keeps on giving and cackling.

by Anonymousreply 81March 15, 2023 8:30 AM

Kamala will announce her pronouns again for the people who are blind.

by Anonymousreply 82March 15, 2023 8:31 AM

I’m available.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 15, 2023 8:38 AM

I hear Angela Bassett is free also.

by Anonymousreply 84March 15, 2023 10:07 AM

[quote] She’s the gaffe that keeps on giving and cackling.

Name two gaffes since she has been vice president.

by Anonymousreply 85March 15, 2023 11:00 AM

R74 - Fred, you’re so desperate. You’ve been lusting after him for 17 years.

by Anonymousreply 86March 15, 2023 1:48 PM

You know what they say. Once you lose the star of a 1999 cult film and the best actress winner from 1997, you've lost middle america.

by Anonymousreply 87March 15, 2023 2:24 PM

[quote]The truth is, she hasn’t actually fucked anything up. She makes people nervous, but the fact that she does says more about her detractors than it does about her or her skills.

Is that why she has abysmal approval ratings among Democrats and her presidential campaign ended in incompetent failure before the first primary?

[quote]Why is she suddenly a liability? She's just ..there. Like most VP's.

Because Biden is old af and could very easily drop dead in office.

by Anonymousreply 88March 15, 2023 2:33 PM

Joe...don't be "sleepy" on deciding your re-run in '24. It would be awkward to decided to change his VP, if he decides to run. I don't think any President ever did that...and that would piss off some groups of people, if he did...his voter base. As said upthread, Joe made the mistake of boxing himself in, in his VP pick. He could have chose a better woman of color, though.

by Anonymousreply 89March 15, 2023 3:48 PM

*if he decided..^

by Anonymousreply 90March 15, 2023 4:00 PM

[quote] I think it'd be too controversial for him to drop her. Have any presidents who ran for a second term dropped their VP?

Franklin D. Roosevelt.

He served four terms in office, and I think he changed his Vice-Presidential running mates, every single time.

by Anonymousreply 91March 15, 2023 4:36 PM

Does anyone know what Pence's popularity numbers were going into the 2020 election?

by Anonymousreply 92March 15, 2023 4:40 PM

[quote]It would be awkward to decided to change his VP, if he decides to run. I don't think any President ever did that

JFC.

by Anonymousreply 93March 15, 2023 4:45 PM

No to OP and the "Hollywood stars". NO. The VP is Kamala Harris. Get over it. Get use to it. Leave your bigoted racist sexist bullshit in the dumpster where it belongs. She's great.

by Anonymousreply 94March 15, 2023 4:47 PM

You rang?

by Anonymousreply 95March 15, 2023 4:47 PM

[quote] You rang? —JFC

I just won an Oscar!

by Anonymousreply 96March 15, 2023 4:50 PM

Oh...OK R91. I didn't bother to google. Thanks...

by Anonymousreply 97March 15, 2023 4:50 PM

You didn't bother to read the O-fucking-P either.

by Anonymousreply 98March 15, 2023 5:00 PM

[quote]We've already seen what Kamala can do, and she doesn't inspire confidence.

Unfortunately, this is true; granted, she's got a target painted on her by all the women-hating MAGAs, but her support even among dems is tepid. I'm sure it's not all her fault - Biden probably felt as if he'd been a good soldier for Obama & expected her to do the same, even though she lacked the long history/backslapping relationship that Biden enjoyed with other senators. But I do recall some poster that knew her/had knowledge of her from her DA days & said that she was a screamer & a blamer whenever shit went wrong. I tend to think this might be true & she blames her staff or Biden's staff when things go wrong versus taking of stock of what she needs to do to win the confidence of even your non-MAGA constituency

by Anonymousreply 99March 15, 2023 5:03 PM

If she's not impressing Biden privately it's probably for one reason: she doesn't have a ton of experience. Biden was a great solider because he brought decades of frame of reference. Harris doesn't offer that.

He should probably just save her blushes and make her Veep again, but she's on her own when it comes to front runner status. In fact she doesn't have it. She should probably serve admirably and then get a nice patronage appointment and some board seats to pad her retirement. I'd be money she'll never be elected President.

by Anonymousreply 100March 15, 2023 5:08 PM

R100 - I'd bet money, if Biden retired today, she wouldn't even win the Democratic nomination.

by Anonymousreply 101March 15, 2023 5:13 PM

I don't like her, but they've got to leave it be. As others have said upthread, replacing her would generate a problem.

by Anonymousreply 102March 15, 2023 5:15 PM

[quote] She makes people nervous

Huh? Why would she make anyone nervous?

by Anonymousreply 103March 15, 2023 5:23 PM

That's where I think it's kind of gone now... her moment has passed, everybody's written her off, just let her be a classic vice-president, attending funerals.

by Anonymousreply 104March 15, 2023 5:24 PM

Who gives a fuck what Gabrielle Carteris thinks???

by Anonymousreply 105March 15, 2023 5:29 PM

She was the SAG-AFTRA president, R105.

by Anonymousreply 106March 15, 2023 5:40 PM

Has Fran Drescher commented?

by Anonymousreply 107March 15, 2023 6:06 PM

R54 - I was available!

by Anonymousreply 108March 15, 2023 6:13 PM

Oops

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 15, 2023 6:15 PM

I would vote for Biden/Harris just in the hope that I hear her cackle at a Republican's expense.

by Anonymousreply 110March 15, 2023 6:16 PM

If black voters love her so much, why did none of them want her when she ran? I think it's white liberals who fall for that logic.

However, isn't Hollywood wokest of the woke?

by Anonymousreply 111March 15, 2023 6:30 PM

[quote]She was the SAG-AFTRA president, [R105].

She's also served on the executive council of the AFL-CIO and she's now president of the International Federation of Actors. Unions play a big role in Democratic politics.

by Anonymousreply 112March 15, 2023 6:34 PM

The thing with Kamala is that if you dig into her experience and accomplishments it’s not impressive. She’s good at climbing the ladder but not so much at doing positive things for anyone else. She has coasted on being a minority woman who is attractive and appealing to men. On the primary debate stage she embarrassed herself (also during her senate debate for the ca seat she came off as dumb and unqualified compared to her challenger). There is no substance there and on a National stage people have picked up on that.

by Anonymousreply 113March 15, 2023 7:06 PM

[quote]. It has been statistically proven that people don't vote for the VP pick so it doesn't fucking matter.

Even when the president is 82?

by Anonymousreply 114March 17, 2023 4:34 PM

Helen Hunt was onto something. Even the blacks want to get rid of her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 18, 2023 9:42 AM

Hollywood isn't a good judge of what appeals to the masses in this regard.

by Anonymousreply 116March 18, 2023 10:24 AM

I like Kamala Harris, but she's been mostly invisible so far. I expected much more from her and thought she would be more involved. I often forget she exists.

Those Hollywood "stars" are laughable d-listers. Please shut up. Gabrielle Carteris? Hahaha.

by Anonymousreply 117March 18, 2023 10:39 AM

[quote]The backbone of the dem party is not Hollywood, it's black women.

Very true, and the article's claim that strategists are going to be panicking because of the "close relationship" between Dems and Hollywood makes it pretty clear that this is a right-wing hit piece.

Why some people just cannot stop themselves from doing something that plays right into the hands of the right-wing "Dems in disarray" media machine, I have no idea. These Hollywood "stars" need to shut up and take their concerns to someone privately, if they really have to take their concerns to someone at all.

You know the real problem is going to be that the Repugs are going to push the "do you really want Biden to die and have this goofy black woman as president?" angle in the 2024 elections, and they want him to replace her with a white person instead, to make them feel better.

by Anonymousreply 118March 18, 2023 11:20 AM

[quote] You know the real problem is going to be that the Repugs are going to push the "do you really want Biden to die and have this goofy black woman as president?" angle in the 2024 elections, and they want him to replace her with a white person instead, to make them feel better.

If they plan to use it against him, why would they want her replaced?

by Anonymousreply 119March 18, 2023 12:46 PM

They'll do that anyway. Whatever Hollywood says, or didn't say, this is not a new narrative and there is some truth to it. Harris' office is usually in chaos and the turnover is constant churn. You want her picking a chief of staff some day?

And invert it. If you had this phenomenal, talented achiever as your Veep who was also a younger woman of color, wouldn't you have her front and center and achieving every chance you could?

by Anonymousreply 120March 18, 2023 12:57 PM

Her step kids are having a blast!

by Anonymousreply 121March 18, 2023 1:12 PM

Helen Hunt, Gabrielle Carteris and Ron Livingston (who?)….well then!

by Anonymousreply 122March 18, 2023 1:27 PM

I want to hear what Debra Messing says.

by Anonymousreply 123March 18, 2023 1:30 PM

This could only work if she steps down on her own. As long as it’s her decision (or looks like it), Biden could select another VP without undue backlash.

by Anonymousreply 124March 18, 2023 1:43 PM

[Quote]Even the blacks want to get rid of her.

R115 That game was played in Des Moines, Iowa. I doubt that there were many Black spectators in the stands.

If you want to critique her for anything regarding that game, it might be for the speech she gave the team after they lost.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 18, 2023 2:11 PM

I knew there was more to this. They're not conferring with these people for no reason.

Some people who don't make it big in Hollywood as actors put their talents to work elsewhere. Big name stars are too busy just being Big Name Stars.

Gabrielle Carteris, raduare of Sarah Lawrence and long time wife of a stockbroker:

Carteris became the executive vice president of SAG-AFTRA, following the Screen Actors' Guild (SAG) and American Federation of Television and Radio Artists (AFTRA) merger, in 2012. She became acting president of the union, following the death of president Ken Howard, on March 23, 2016, and was elected president on April 9, 2016, by national board of the union to complete Howard's remainder of his two-year term. In 2020 she was on a 3rd two-year term as the president after defeating challengers such as Esai Morales in 2017 and Matthew Modine in 2019 both by direct votes by union membership. SHE ALSO SERVES AS VIVE PRESIDENT OF THE CALIFORNIA LABOR FEDERATION. In August 2020, she announced that there will be sharp cuts including a raise in the earnings floor to qualify for next year's SAG-AFTRA Health Plan due to two consecutive years of deficits and projected losses in years to come. Carteris did not seek re-election in 2021, backing Fran Drescher as her successor instead.

Union and probably a formidable fund raiser. Plus she most likely is involved in all kinds of California political circles and has her ear to the ground. For good or bad, she is a real player.

Haven't even looked up Livingston yet.

by Anonymousreply 126March 18, 2023 2:16 PM

^^^ Sorry, that's "graduate" of Sarah Lawrence.

by Anonymousreply 127March 18, 2023 2:17 PM

I'm ready to step in.

by Anonymousreply 128March 18, 2023 2:19 PM

Canadian so I don't matter here, but I'd prefer both Biden and Harris pass the baton in a very orderly fashion. If not Biden, then at least Harris. Don't make a big deal about it, it gets its new cycle, and move on as professionally as possible.

At least until now, she doesn't have much of a base beyond an arguably-astroturfed minority of Dems. She hasn't provided substantial reason to pick her for president, specifically, and whether there's good or bad reasons, you do need reasons. I think its great to break the ceiling of having a woman or racial minority president, which two terms as VP would help more than one term, but I'd cringe (to not overuse the word; I'd actually cringe a little in person) to see her be the standard bearer for that.

What dropping her risks is that it can be done, or be portrayed successfully as 'Democrats in chaos', but I'm not sure how much that'd stick, in this case.

by Anonymousreply 129March 18, 2023 2:52 PM

*NEWS cycle(s)

by Anonymousreply 130March 18, 2023 2:52 PM

I agree - put Harris on the Supreme Court and give her VP spot to Demmings.

I was excited when he chose Harris in 2020. Now I'm just disappointed - she's become a joke to republicans, as they point out she laughs nervously in every important conversation. I expected better.

by Anonymousreply 131March 18, 2023 3:02 PM

Biden shouldn't run again. Now it's just his ego.

by Anonymousreply 132March 18, 2023 3:09 PM

Her big problem is her terrible, terrible public speaking skills. She just can't do it.

by Anonymousreply 133March 18, 2023 3:11 PM

[quote]I want to hear what Debra Messing says.

Personally, I'm awaiting Peter Falk's take on this whole thing.

by Anonymousreply 134March 18, 2023 3:16 PM

R132 He has had one of the most successful first terms of any President in recent history. Why shouldn't he run again ?

by Anonymousreply 135March 18, 2023 3:17 PM

Because he wants to incarcerate men with women, r135.

He also wants gender nonconforming children, who might be gay, to be drugged, mutilated & sterilized, thereby wiping out a generation of homosexuals.

It’s not right. It’s unsustainable. The reckoning is inevitable.

by Anonymousreply 136March 18, 2023 4:05 PM

[quote]I agree - put Harris on the Supreme Court and give her VP spot to Demmings.

Love Kat Dennings!

by Anonymousreply 137March 18, 2023 4:05 PM

R136 Do you have a non-conservative source for all this ?

by Anonymousreply 138March 18, 2023 4:07 PM

R138, is that a trick question? Because all of the so-called “non-conservative” sources are captured by T ideology.

Regardless, here is Joe in his own words:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139March 18, 2023 4:15 PM

[quote] Even the blacks want to get rid of her

What a progressive thing to say in 2023.

What do the gays think? How about the orientals?

by Anonymousreply 140March 18, 2023 5:17 PM

What's pejorative about blacks?

by Anonymousreply 141March 18, 2023 5:34 PM

[quote]“In some of the tough battleground states, she’s going to be pretty damn powerful, frankly.”

I highly doubt it.

by Anonymousreply 142March 18, 2023 5:35 PM

No, I think they're on to something R142. The Rethuglians will use her to great effect.

by Anonymousreply 143March 18, 2023 5:39 PM

[Quote]Biden shouldn't run again. Now it's just his ego.

I think they missed a big opportunity to build up a strong candidate (Gavin Newsom?) with this indecisiveness. If Biden is not running again, there're currently no strong candidates waiting in the wings. He has to run at this point. Newsom probably thinks he has a better chance to win in 2028. He's still young. Kamala Harris will never be president, let's be honest. Her vice-presidency is a shit show and there's always trouble with her staff.

by Anonymousreply 144March 18, 2023 5:54 PM

Biden thought she was a better choice than Hunter ?

by Anonymousreply 145March 18, 2023 6:09 PM

I agree with whoever pointed out that Biden kept his promise in 2020 - he would choose a black female. Now for 2024, he is free to do as he pleases- and IMO cut her loose and choose a better candidate, no matter the race or gender.

by Anonymousreply 146March 18, 2023 6:10 PM

Nobody wants Gavin Newsom except you and I suspect that’s because you want to fuck him. He is an over educated under intelligent privileged rich kid whose poor record on homelessness is only eclipsed by his poor choice of women. He will get destroyed nationally.

by Anonymousreply 147March 18, 2023 6:48 PM

R147. Not the Newsom troll, but Newsom isn't a rich kid. He's the kid who got athletic scholarships and made connections with rich kids--specifically the Getty family--but he, himself, does not come from wealth.

He's not brilliant, but he's got that politician gift of being able to connect to voters. Makes the Republicans nuts, which is why they've gone after him--i.e. the lame-ass recall.

by Anonymousreply 148March 18, 2023 7:05 PM

Can we get someone who comes across as a more relatable person? She comes across as authentic as fajitas at Chili’s.

by Anonymousreply 149March 18, 2023 7:18 PM

R148 he is absolutely a privileged rich kid, have you read anyghing about him? The connection to the Gettys happened long before he entered politics. And no, the recall was not solely driven by republicans. Democrats hate him too because under his watch we have watched CA turn into a fetid pit of homelessness, despite ridiculous taxes. Half my friend group supported the recall and they were all Hillary voters. I am so sick of the constant “if you don’t like this democrat or this policy you must be a republican or right winger!” Many of us are capable of thinking outside these boxes.

by Anonymousreply 150March 18, 2023 7:20 PM

The Democratic Party needs to defer in all matters to Gabrielle Carteris.

by Anonymousreply 151March 18, 2023 7:20 PM

R148, what are your thoughts about the women in CA prisons who will be raped by their male cell mates who say they believe they are female?

What should happen to the babies of these women who will inevitably be impregnated by their cell mate?

by Anonymousreply 152March 18, 2023 7:23 PM

You treat prison babies just like you'd treat any other baby. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 153March 18, 2023 7:25 PM

The Dems better get on it. Biden just assumes he'll automatically be handed the Presidential nod, just like it was handed to him in the last election. And the end result was too close for comfort. Biden needs to realize that the best thing he can do for Anerica is to step down, but ego is a green eyed monster. Newsome is young, energetic, intelligent, and has the best chance of stomping all over DeSantis and Trump.

Its time to stop thinking about handsome faces, bulging biceps, and big dicks. This nation has weak knees, and we need to restore and strengthen. This is so important to our future.

by Anonymousreply 154March 18, 2023 7:27 PM

[quote]Its time to stop thinking about handsome faces, bulging biceps, and big dicks.

Says the political strategist who in the sentence before highlighted his horse's youth and energy.

He might have a chance. He's not a shoe in. California is unpopular in theory and there's lots of vulnerability there when you look at the state of the state. What so many of you don't seem to get it is people don't vote on energy and youth or better together anymore. They vote on who they believe will cost them the least money. Faith in government, and Buttegeigian storytelling, is tapped right out.

by Anonymousreply 155March 18, 2023 7:52 PM

[quote]Now for 2024, he is free to do as he pleases- and IMO cut her loose and choose a better candidate, no matter the race or gender.

Doing so would be a tacit admission that she was an Affirmative Action pick. While everyone knows that is true, it would not go over well with Black Twitter.

by Anonymousreply 156March 18, 2023 7:58 PM

Gabrielle Carteris is one of the great political thinkers of our times, surpassed only by Jennie Garth.

by Anonymousreply 157March 18, 2023 8:01 PM

[quote]If Biden is not running again, there're currently no strong candidates waiting in the wings.

The Dems need to do a better job of elevating the national profile of some of their younger talented Governors. I’m thinking Andy Beshear, Gretchen Whitmer, Josh Shapiro, etc…

by Anonymousreply 158March 18, 2023 8:01 PM

R157 my thoughts exactly. Desperate trolling by OP and the Telegraph

by Anonymousreply 159March 18, 2023 8:18 PM

[quote]I like Kamala Harris, but she's been mostly invisible so far. I expected much more from her and thought she would be more involved. I often forget she exists.

r117 historically that's how Vice-Presidents were in America. Its not until Dick Cheney that people started caring. People are totally holding her to a different standard because she's a black woman. Lets not act like Al Gore and Joe Biden were transformative leaders during their time as VP.

by Anonymousreply 160March 18, 2023 9:05 PM

[quote]While everyone knows that is true, it would not go over well with Black Twitter.

So?

by Anonymousreply 161March 18, 2023 9:45 PM

Well, Al invented the internet.

It is well established Joe brought tenure and frame of reference to a presidency that plainly lacked both. You can't underestimate the value of his experience to the decision making process.

by Anonymousreply 162March 18, 2023 9:46 PM

Amy Klobuchar was a stronger VP candidate. But she gets shit done in the Senate, so she should probably remain there where she can be effective. VP is sully a nothing-burger job, but the problem is that Biden is 80+, so VP is a far more consequential position this time around.

by Anonymousreply 163March 18, 2023 9:54 PM

Ugh, I wish Biden would have picked Amy Klobuchar. A solid pick other than a few staplers being hurled at people.

by Anonymousreply 164March 18, 2023 9:56 PM

What “Hollywood stars”. This article is BS without verification. Silly.

by Anonymousreply 165March 18, 2023 10:00 PM

So, R156, what percent of the electorate does Black Twitter represent, and where given the electoral college?

by Anonymousreply 166March 18, 2023 10:01 PM

[quote]He's not a shoe in.

OH, dear!

by Anonymousreply 167March 18, 2023 10:40 PM

black Twitter needs to F off. They are responsible for this mess with their race-mongering and can blame themselves once Trump or DeSantis come into power

by Anonymousreply 168March 18, 2023 11:27 PM

[quote]And the end result was too close for comfort. [/quote]

You think Biden's win over Trump was 'too close for comfort' ? Seriously ?

by Anonymousreply 169March 19, 2023 1:30 AM

If you think Kamala Harris -- one of the most active, out there VPs in history -- has been "mostly invisible so far", then you're just being willfully blind and not paying attention. No VP has ever traveled more, given more speeches, and done more (and more important) work. You certainly can't name anyone who ever has done more. She's out there every day, every week, traveling around the country and around the world.

How the fuck can you say she's invisible? Yes, the media is actively trying to ignore her in order to preserve their chosen narrative, but so what? There are a million other places you could look, including twitter and google, to see everything she's doing.

by Anonymousreply 170March 19, 2023 3:18 PM

R168 is a racist fuckhead, trying to blame Black People for Trump or DeSantis.

If Trump or DeSantis wins, it will NOT be because of Black People. It will be in SPITE of them. Grow the fuck up you racist white supremacist Nazi asshole.

by Anonymousreply 171March 19, 2023 3:19 PM

If Desantis wins, it will be the fault of the Ts

by Anonymousreply 172March 19, 2023 3:37 PM

Please shut the fuck up r168.

I have to constantly remind you forgetful old bitches that James Clyburn and Black voters in South Carolina are the ONLY reason Biden's 2020 campaign came back to life, Biden's campaign was a total loss until that primary. Biden knows who he needs to win, which is why he wants SC to be the first primary in 2024.

Kamala Harris WILL be his running mate, unless she decides she wants to part ways. If you believe anything else you are delusional, like these "Hollywood stars" who think people actually give a fuck about what they have to think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 19, 2023 3:39 PM

I really don't want Joe nor Kamala on the ballot. Joe is too old. When is the left going to admit that Joe is just too old? And Kamala just isn't qualified. I definitely don't want the GOP back in the White House, too many nut jobs, and I definitely won't vote in that direction, but I really don't want to vote for Joe. He's just too damn old.

by Anonymousreply 174March 19, 2023 3:44 PM

[quote]If Trump or DeSantis wins, it will NOT be because of Black People. It will be in SPITE of them. Grow the fuck up you racist white supremacist Nazi asshole.

Whenever a heinous Republican like Trump wins (2016), it’s always blamed on white people who are racist or sexist and wouldn’t vote for the Democrat. But whenever a Democrat wins, it’s always chalked up to “black women turned out and saved this country.”

Yeah, you can’t have it both ways. Trump won because whites voted for him AND because blacks couldn’t be bothered to go out and vote for some white bitch.

And Biden won because blacks turned out AND because whites in the swing states flipped and voted Democratic.

by Anonymousreply 175March 19, 2023 10:39 PM

Since when do we seriously take the advice of Hollywood stars?

by Anonymousreply 176March 20, 2023 7:45 AM

F.A.G.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177March 20, 2023 9:36 AM

Those who want Kamala Harris to be dropped are sexist & racist, and that is their sole motivating factor: They fear that Biden wouldn't complete a second term, and she'd end up President, and they can't handle having a black woman President. It's as simple as that. All the nonsense about her not being qualified is just that: nonsense. It's the rationalization they use to cover for their racist misogyny.

by Anonymousreply 178March 20, 2023 2:25 PM

[quote]If he picks the gay rat, I'll vote Republican. Enough is enough of these white Dems playing in our faces.

мой член, твой мудак.

by Anonymousreply 179March 20, 2023 2:28 PM

Rubbish. People don't have confidence in her ability to actually be President. She runs a chaotic office that suffers from indicative levels of turnover and showing up at events is not a record of accomplishment. But you tell yourself what you need to.

by Anonymousreply 180March 20, 2023 2:28 PM

Her "base" consists of woke whites and their Black Twitter encouragers. But, he might as well keep her on rather than someone else.

by Anonymousreply 181March 20, 2023 3:26 PM

Funny if Harris makes Biden's age a bigger problem.

by Anonymousreply 182March 20, 2023 5:22 PM

She will be responsible for the next 8 years of Republican control

by Anonymousreply 183April 8, 2023 11:21 AM

By all means, let Gabrielle Carteris determine our nation's leaders.

by Anonymousreply 184April 8, 2023 11:26 AM

Put Kamala in the supreme court.

by Anonymousreply 185April 8, 2023 1:11 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!